Davis Cup Final: Lopez/Verdasco def. Nalbandian/Calleri 5-7 7-5 7-6(5) 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup Final: Lopez/Verdasco def. Nalbandian/Calleri 5-7 7-5 7-6(5) 6-3

LinkMage
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Congrats Spain on winning the DC for the 3rd time. :hatoff:

Nalbandian what a hero missing that volley at 5-4 in the TB. :worship:

Calleri what a freaking legend missing that smash and that volley to gift the 2nd set to the Spaniards. :worship:

Great effort blowing a 5-1 lead in the TB.

I'm not writing what I have on my mind right now cause I'll get banned if I did. :mad:

scarecrows
11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Overrated Fatbandian once again, the miss at 5-4 in the TB :lol:
his game tore apart, couldnt get a decent serve and couldnt close a volley at the end

Decent match from the spaniards despite occasional blackouts, like choking from 5-1 up in the 3d

ClaudiuS
11-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Strange that the Argies are so pesimists about it.

Acasuso could be the hero of the DC tie. (in case that Del Potro isn't fit enough) :shrug:

jayjay
11-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Congrats Spanish fans, a deserved doubles win. We had the chances after the 3rd set comeback, and we couldn't take them.

Big problems for us now if Kamikaze is not ready to play and win the 4th rubber. However, if he is ready, I am still confident in our chances.

TMJordan
LoLa

Alonsofz
VAMOS! :rocker2:

Just one more... c'mon Spain :rocker2:

elessar
Awesome match, shame it couldn't go to a fifth set :lol:

akosijepoy
vamos espana!!!!

woohoo!!!

jonathancrane
11-22-2008, 07:34 PM
THE FASHIONS :worship: :worship: :worship:

Björki
11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Vamos :rocker2:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

scoobs
Not where Argentina wanted to be at the end of day 2. I'm sure they were hoping to have wrapped this up. Instead they have no more room for error and 1 possibly injured singles player.

Lopez and Verdasco overall played a very good match - they've won all their away doubles matches this campaign (bizarrely losing at home to the USA on clay) and this is one of their finest wins as a duo. A solid doubles string they have become for the Spanish side.

quiron
Congrats Spain for the title

VAMOS! :rocker2:

Just one more... c'mon Spain :rocker2:

jajajajajaja

Sunset of Age
Very enjoyable match indeed.

Congrats Nando & Lalo! :hatoff:

HoistDaColors
11-22-2008, 07:37 PM
third set was too funny. both teams trying to choke it away.
that forehand passing shot from verdasco in the last game after david smashed the overhead :eek:

HeretiC
Expected win by Spaniards, although Argies could have pull out this one, they missed a lot of chances.

kalisita
What a freaking nightmare for Argentina! Supposed to be a sure bet with Nadal gone and now down 2-1. :sad:

The crowd got them back into that 3rd set and they got up to 5-4, with two points on their serve. That first point they lost was awful. Right into the net by Nalbandian! :o And then it was pretty much over. Now, Del Potro(?) has to win tomorrow or dream really will turn into nightmare.

Congratulations to Spain. Lopez and Verdasco played well enough overall and put their team in winning position. :hatoff:

Sommarsverige
11-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Big congrats to Fer and Feli :yeah:

Would be so lovely to see the chicos taking home the Cup to Spain :worship:

anon57
Good play by the Spanish although more of it had to do with Lopez play:hatoff: Hope the tie goes to a fifth rubber

TMJordan
Feli and Nando are definatly going to party tonight together in their hotel room.

Psichogauchovna
:(

RogiRafaFan86
Feli played well, and they won despite Verdasco's best efforts to self-destruct. :lol:

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, this Nadal-less team has done way better than most expected them to. And that's due almost exclusively to Feliciano Lopez.

JolánGagó
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

amazing match, the Spanish brainfarting in the 3d when from 51 when to 66 04 :wazzup: and then winning the set :eek: LaLo is already the Spanish Heroe.

awful crowd, behaved like animals, booing everything even in the middle of serves, chanting "we have to beat these faggots" and so on...:rolleyes: can anyone imagine that in any minimally civilized place?

alfonsojose
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
:lol: If Del Potro is injured .. :scared:
Nalbandian again choking when it matters. King David down again :help:

Aenea
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Feli/Fernando :worship:

Go, Spain :rocker2: One more win :D

*snowflake*
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
:woohoo:

I can't believe that Feli is the hope for winning the Cup :tape: :bigclap:

And that woman who shouted on David's serve in the 3rd set tie break stole the show :scared:

octatennis
11-22-2008, 07:40 PM
tomorrow 3-2 for argentina. i'm sad now for all the opportunities wasted in the third set anyway there is still hope. do not lose the faith argentos.

krakenzero
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Rollercoaster match, like every Calleri's:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

Priceless reaction of TyC commentators: "Lo que era una interrogante ahora se volvió una duda" (What used to be an interrogant now has become a doubt)

ATM, the tie is for everyone.
Argentina has to look for a player (Delpo, Calleri or Chucho) that can defeat a disastrous but motivated Ferrer in the 4th match. In the 5th, it's Nalbo - LaLo, with the argentinian as a favourite.

Open question: Should Spain consider change his 1st player from Ferrer to Verdasco? What do you think?

Alonsofz
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
jajajajajaja

que pasa? :lol:

rafa the best
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Vamos Spain!!!!!!!!

Voo de Mar
11-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Expected outcome when the choker Calleri is one the court. What a pity that Chucho can't play doubles.

TMJordan
11-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Jay, your fat hero lets you down again. :hug:

Losing against a couple (literally) of suckas (literally)

GlennMirnyi
Expected win.

Now if Del Pansy doesn't play in the first match tomorrow, :wavey: Argies.

Caralimon
Argentina should be scrapped from the Earth IMO.

Felifashion/Fernando :worship:

jayjay
11-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Jay, your fat hero lets you down again. :hug:

Losing against a couple (literally) of suckas (literally)

If we can get that 4th rubber, Fatty will redeem himself in the 5th and the doughnuts will be on him.

You just make sure you batter Jig tomorrow. Absolutely destroy his playoff hopes. :)

GlennMirnyi
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

amazing match, the Spanish brainfarting in the 3d when from 51 when to 66 04 :wazzup: and then winning the set :eek: LaLo is already the Spanish Heroe.

awful crowd, behaved like animals, booing everything even in the middle of serves, chanting "we have to beat these faggots" and so on...:rolleyes: can anyone imagine that in any minimally civilized place?

I know that Madrid ain't exactly that place, but the crowd there is worse, as everybody knows. :)

connectolove
I loved the match. Congrats to my fellow country men: YOU GUYS WERE GREAT!!!!

Also, the Argentines looked very good when they came back, but after the Spaniards won the 3rd set it was over for the fatsos. VIVA ESPANA!!!!

LinkMage
We should have broken early in the 2nd set when we had those 2 BPs and taken that set. :sad:

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
And to finish it:

Great to see Fatbaldian exposed for the overrated clown that he is. :D

*snowflake*
11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Alex Corretja said that Delpo won't be playing tomorrow so it'll be very tough for the Argentines to turn this in their favor.

connectolove
11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I know that Madrid ain't exactly that place, but the crowd there is worse, as everybody knows. :)

This is not true, Spaniards have class ... c-l-a-s-s , ok? they do not call any players names. Argentines are well known for being trailer trash

TMJordan
If we can get that 4th rubber, Fatty will redeem himself in the 5th and the doughnuts will be on him.

You just make sure you batter Jig tomorrow. Absolutely destroy his playoff hopes. :)

I still think you guys will win.

My team has packed it in for the year.

q.j.
mugnificent play from the Argies

you have

-at least 2nd best indoors player in your team

-an injured piggy

-home crowd

-surface of choice

-Pics out of shape

-Lalo and Verdasco going through a rough time because of Verdasco's new Serbian beard Fistpampovic

and they can't win this??

if they lose this, and i still have some faith they won't..it will be arguably one of the most ugliest defeats in recent DC history

my heart goes out to Argies fans, they must be gutted

TMJordan
The Argies are about as useful as Paul-Henri-Mathieu in an important match.

scarecrows
11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Expected outcome when the choker Calleri is one the court. What a pity that Chucho can't play doubles.

doesnt have to do with Calleri as much as with Nalbandian being total shit after the 2nd set

federernadalfan
looks mighty good for spain to win this
argentina in serious trouble

LinkMage
Nice biased umpire. Giving the 1st serve back to the Spaniards when our fans made noice but when that Spanish bitch did the same, the umpire did nothing.

How much did the Spanish mafia pay him?

connectolove
11-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Nice biased umpire. Giving the 1st serve back to the Spaniards when our fans made noice but when that Spanish bitch did the same, the umpire did nothing.

El ladron siempre cree que todos roban ...

jayjay
11-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I still think you guys will win.

My team has packed it in for the year.

If JMDP is good to go, then yes, we should still win both reverse singles. If he can't play though, we need a bit of a mini-miracle because both Calleri and Chucho have been completely useless for about 12-18 months.

Hopefully one of them will be inspired and whoever plays the 4th rubber for Spain crumbles a bit, but they haven't crumbled yet, so far, so they have to be confident about their chances to win it 3-1.

Voo de Mar
11-22-2008, 07:51 PM
doesnt have to do with Calleri as much as with Nalbandian being total shit after the 2nd set

Nalbandian did a double fault at 5:1 in the tie-break, it was a crucial point but Calleri hasn't energy of a winner. Loser.

scoobs
11-22-2008, 07:52 PM
When was the last Davis Cup win away from home? Of course, Croatia in Bratislava in 2005

LinkMage
11-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know what Mancini was thinking when he put that utter clown Calleri on the court.

jayjay
I agree, they are trash.

With all due respect, Spanish fans are in no place to be able to criticise Davis Cup crowds of other nations. This is Davis Cup, tennis with football atmosphere, it's hostile and a major challenge for "away" players. This is how it's supposed to be, this is what makes it special. And there are no nations that act like angels when it comes to Davis Cup crowd behavior, so any criticism is nothing but disingenuous.

scarecrows
Nalbandian did a double fault at 5:1 in the tie-break, it was a crucial point but Calleri hasn't energy of a winner. Loser.

nobody expected more from calleri with the form he has been lately :shrug:

double fault and missed volley from 30cm from the net, in the end he was volleying like in a practice session. Nalbandian should have been the hero of DC, now he might not even have the chance to play the 5th

JolánGagó
11-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Shut up clown. The rabid Argies were already doing the same for the whole set, in fact that was why Verdasco brainfarted, not only were they calling him all in one "faggot" but were screaming in the middle of his serves. There were a handful of Spaniards against the whole place full of Argies and you're already blaming the Spanish "public" for your defeat. You're pathetic :lol:

Last time I checked it was in your country where the mafia has been quite active lately around DC.

jayjay
11-22-2008, 07:55 PM
When was the last Davis Cup win away from home? Of course, Croatia in Bratislava in 2005

Croatia in Slovakia 2005.

GlennMirnyi
This is not true, Spaniards have class ... c-l-a-s-s , ok? they do not call any players names. Argentines are well known for being trailer trash

Spaniards are as bad as Argentines.

mugnificent play from the Argies

you have

-at least 2nd best indoors player in your team

-an injured piggy

-home crowd

-surface of choice

-Pics out of shape

-Lalo and Verdasco going through a rough time because of Verdasco's new Serbian beard Fistpampovic

and they can't win this??

if they lose this, and i still have some faith they won't..it will be arguably one of the most ugliest defeats in recent DC history

my heart goes out to Argies fans, they must be gutted

I highlighted the clearest mistake in this post.

Fatbaldian sucks. :)

DekuTheEvilClown

I like spanish people and all but in sport Spanish fans have consistantly painted a bad picture of themselves. In football it is common to hear fans chant racist insults at Players of African origins.

krakenzero
11-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I agree, they are trash.

I assume you are a Berdych supporter:devil::devil:...

connectolove
11-22-2008, 07:57 PM
With all due respect, Spanish fans are in no place to be able to criticise Davis Cup crowds of other nations. This is Davis Cup, tennis with football atmosphere, it's hostile and a major challenge for "away" players. This is how it's supposed to be, this is what makes it special. And there are no nations that act like angels when it comes to Davis Cup crowd behavior, so any criticism is nothing but disingenuous.

There fans and there are hooligans screaming sh*t. I have never heard any Spaniards screaming insults to a foreign player. They do scream, yes, but they keep a certain level of respect. They do not scream in Barcelona at all, perhaps more in Madrid because it is a bigger court and more people get in.

TMJordan
11-22-2008, 07:58 PM
IMO Spaniards and Argies are the same.

Kate1525
I saw Argentine team and fans at Davis Cup Final 2 years ago in Moscow, they wanted to win so much! If Russia has already lost, they should win, I think =)

elessar
Classy indeed :yeah:

Can't believe Spaniards are actually complaining about the crowd :rolls:

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 07:59 PM

Exactly.

TankingTheSet
I would almost be inclined to consider Lopez playing Nalbandian as giving better prospects for Spain to clinch it than the other match. Lopez could easily win.

FedFan_2007
Canas to save the day! :rocker2:

FedFan_2007
11-22-2008, 08:00 PM

Bullshit.

GlennMirnyi
If Lopez wasn't a choker, you mean.

jayjay
There fans and there are hooligans screaming sh*t. I have never heard any Spaniards screaming insults to a foreign player. They do scream, yes, but they keep a certain level of respect. They do not scream in Barcelona at all, perhaps more in Madrid because it is a bigger court and more people get in.

Look, I'm not going to get into a long running debate with you about who says what and how much. Davis Cup crowds are rowdy and unruly, some are worse than others, there are no angels.

If the umpire thinks the crowd is getting too much, he/she can put forward penalties against the home side. It's as simple as that.

ClaudiuS
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Canas to save the day! :rocker2:

Cañas won't play in this tie.

Björki
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM

2005 Croatia def. Slovak Republic

ClaudiuS
11-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Where's Fiberin? :D

He's like missing person at these stages.

krakenzero
11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Where's Fiberin? :D

He's like missing person at these stages.

Incredibly he hasn't posted yet:rolleyes::rolleyes:...

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Calleri should never be considered responsible for this.

JMG
11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Too bad Calleri's level dropped after the second set. They should have won in the third though.

LinkMage
So you don't like it when someone says you should be shot, but you've got no problem saying this...?

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7855522&postcount=86

:haha:

As if worse things have never been said in the Gamblers Lounge. :rolleyes:

Arkulari
nah, the WORST crowd is the parisian one; at Bercy, the levels of :retard: are unbelievable :rolleyes:

I won't blame Calleri, I would blame the Argentina DC captain for putting him to play and putting Fat Dave since he has to play 3 days on a row :rolleyes:

No matter what happens, Lalo is now Spain's hero, so far, he's carrying Spain to the title :yeah:

This is one of the best doubles matches I've seen this year so far :)

Loved when the crowd was whistling at Lalo and he delivered TWO aces on a row :devil: (again, who was the clown that said that Lalo would choke on the pressure? :o )

He's been more consistent than Nando and Pics for the last months and is a real tool when it comes to play HC ;)

*snowflake*
11-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I won't blame Calleri, I would blame the Argentina DC captain for putting him to play and putting Fat Dave since he has to play 3 days on a row :rolleyes:

Exactly. He should've learned not to do so after the debacle with Russia. The only difference is that they had Delpo then to save the day, and now (most likely) they won't.

Cafisho
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
This was quite a defeat... although i can't blame Calleri. If tomorrow the first point goes to us, then Nalby has a big chance to get the title.

Arkulari
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Del Potro is DONE, the TyC commentators said that the guy can't even stand a massage :sad:

jayjay
11-22-2008, 08:16 PM

As if worse things have never been said in the Gamblers Lounge. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there have.

If you're happy to speak about others in such a fashion, don't be surprised or go crying to the mods when others speak about you in such fashion.

TMJordan
11-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Del Potro is DONE, the TyC commentators said that the guy can't even stand a massage :sad:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2007/08/06/images/2007080660872101.jpg

q.j.
11-22-2008, 08:17 PM
and nobody here is doing justice to Calleri, poor guy did well to hang in there he was, from most of what i saw, quite solid, especially on his service games

it's the easiest thing, to blame the guy who is a weaker player in this team when it was so obvious that it was Faty's fault, he served badly in the 2nd and in the beginning of the 3rd set to give Spaniard the breaks, i just can't believe that he broke up so easily on, quite possibly, the most important match of his carrier ??

as for Spaniards calling Argies primitive and uncivilized :lol: :lol:

there's nothing more pitiful and symptomatic then blood brothers fighting

get smart :smash:

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

:eek: x 10000000

finishingmove
my thoughts on the 3rd set :

http://www.phouka.com/travel/other/signs/sheep.jpg

argentina would've won this if the gordos were fit enough to mantain the level of play throughout the whole match. verdasco and lopez were brainfarting all over the place.

now, it would be hilarious if chucho and fatty win tomorrow.

LinkMage
I'm sure there have.

If you're happy to speak about others in such a fashion, don't be surprised or go crying to the mods when others speak about you in such fashion.

I was talking about a player, not another poster on these boards like you are. :rolleyes:

anon57
11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't think putting Nalbandian in the double was such a mistake:shrug:. With Del Potro possibly in doubt for the reverse singles, Argentina winning the doubles was made much more important and from the players available this weekend Calleri/Nalbandian was probably their best shot at trying to win the doubles match.

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:21 PM
my thoughts on the 3rd set :

Sheep alert?

Aenea
11-22-2008, 08:21 PM

As if Lopez isn't going to play 3 days in a row and his 1st match was more difficult than Nalby's 1st match.

Kate1525
11-22-2008, 08:23 PM
and nobody here is doing justice to Calleri, poor guy did well to hang in there he was, from most of what i saw, quite solid, especially on his service games

it's the easiest thing, to blame the guy who is a weaker player in this team when it was so obvious that it was Faty's fault, he served badly in the 2nd and in the beginning of the 3rd set to give Spaniard the breaks, i just can't believe that he broke up so easily on, quite possibly, the most important match of his carrier ??

as for Spaniards calling Argies primitive and uncivilized :lol: :lol:

there's nothing more pitiful and symptomatic then blood brothers fighting

get smart :smash:

I am for Calleri, poor guy, everybody will blame him :(

Arkulari
11-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Calleri was the weakest link and it was all up to Fat Dave to step up and claim the thing, sadly Lalo is on fire on this DC finale and crushed that :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't know up to which point Calleri was the weakest link. Mugdasco made countless mistakes over the match.

anon57
11-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Calleri was the weakest link and it was all up to Fat Dave to step up and claim the thing, sadly Lalo is on fire on this DC finale and crushed that :shrug:And yet it was Nalbandian misses in the third set tiebreak that cost them the set

LinkMage
11-22-2008, 08:28 PM
And yet it was Nalbandian misses in the third set tiebreak that cost them the set

Calleri's mistakes cost us the 2nd set.

q.j.
11-22-2008, 08:30 PM
maybe she is saying he was expected to be the weakest link, but he wasn't that's what i am saying. his performance oscillated from his 80-120%
it was Nalby who cost them the match

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Calleri was always going to be the weakest player there, especially because his career is almost over.

Thing is: when the push came to shove, Fatbaldian proved me right, as usual.

Overrated mug and choker.

fast_clay
11-22-2008, 08:34 PM
i could accept this scoreline if it were Hernandez dishing out the pain... but, Lopez as a Davis Cup hero is just not right... really, couple this potential loss with their football team and it could spell a year long depression... i expect rioting and general discontent in argentina...

anon57
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Calleri's mistakes cost us the 2nd set.
Neither of the Argentine players was solid throughout the match so I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame on Calleri. Calleri has some made some mistakes at crucial times but so did Nalbandian.

JeffCandoi
11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
argies should play on clay :lol:

this fast court was a bad choice for sure :lol:

alfonsojose
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM

RagingLamb's pic :bolt:

finishingmove
11-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Sheep alert?

yea i just couldn't get this picture of 2 fat sheep, and 2 pretty sheep on a meadow, out of my head.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't know up to which point Calleri was the weakest link. Mugdasco made countless mistakes over the match.

True. In the 1st set was by far the worst player in the court.

The chokes at *5-1 serving for the 3rd set and *5-2 in the 4th set were hilarious :lol:

Still Spain clinched the rubber.

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
yea i just couldn't get this picture of 2 fat sheep, and 2 pretty sheep on a meadow, out of my head.

:lol:

Now it makes sense.

rhinooooo
11-22-2008, 08:40 PM
:lol: Funny match. Congrats to Spain.

Don't see how anyone can blame Calleri. Stupid smash in helping lose the 2nd set, and his returning was poor. But he played pretty solid. Verdasco had some very bad moments, and is always shaky in the pressure moments. I feel that Nalby really let the team down though with that horrible double fault in the 3rd set TB, bad serving, and some awful volleying after the 2nd set. How many times could he have killed a volley to win so many points?

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:42 PM
True. In the 1st set was by far the worst player in the court.

The chokes at *5-1 serving for the 3rd set and *5-2 in the 4th set were hilarious :lol:

Still Spain clinched the rubber.

Until Lalo served.

That guy may be a little of a tinkerbell, but he has a great serve and such a beautiful serve motion.

finishingmove
11-22-2008, 08:43 PM
i don't think 1 person should be blamed here.

first, when i saw verdasco serving at 5-5 i could bet my life he would choke.

then nalbandian and calleri both started with the lazy play and gave away the 2nd set.

and that 3rd set was the muggiest thing i've seen lately. after that it was obvious the gordos would lose.

but argentina can still win this tie.

fast_clay
11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
its kinda why davis cup sorts a few teams out... u actually NEED to know how to volley to win the doubles...

Black Adam
11-22-2008, 08:44 PM
This has the potential to be the most exhilarating choke in decades :rolls::banana::banana:

I don't the Big Dave will even get the chance to save his team or give them hope because he plays 5th rubber and with Del Potro having tongue problems, the 5th rubber could easily be a dead one.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Acasuso vs Verdasco 1st match of the day tomorrow? :confused:

Cloudygirl
11-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd rather see Ferru play than Verdasco and thats saying something. Maybe they should have done with it and play Granollers

finishingmove
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM
acasuso will be the favourite against anyone spain sends out

HeretiC
11-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Quite true, Gordo even played better than I expected he will.

jayjay
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I was talking about a player, not another poster on these boards like you are. :rolleyes:

Oh, ok. So it's perfectly fine to wish a horrible death on a player, but not a precious message board poster. :worship:

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Acasuso vs Verdasco 1st match of the day tomorrow? :confused:

That would be the muggiest outcome of a DC final since Mertinak vs Ancic...

TMJordan
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Acasuso will put a tennis clinic on tommorow.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Acasuso with the chance of his life tomorrow, he will choke? o he will be the hero?

bad gambler
Good job Spain

scoobs
Wow - Acasuso gets the signal honour of losing the Davis Cup final not once, but twice!

:worship:

Poor guy - his hair was already standing on end today.

shotgun
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM

You're way off there. There was even a case of people throwing objects like pens and plastic bottles on the court at the Barcelona tournament in 1998. Spaniards are hardly an example of respectable crowd, so it is highly hypocritical of you guys to complain about any other tennis crowd.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Wow - Acasuso gets the signal honour of losing the Davis Cup final not once, but twice!

I have a feeling, he will win tomorrow. ;)

Bilbo
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Acasuso could be the hero of the DC tie.

the guy did jackshit all season long as in his whole career. if verdasco lose to him he has reached a new low.

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Acasuso will put a tennis clinic on tommorow.

Yep.

A tennis choke clinic.

shotgun
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Schwank would have been a better replacement IMO, but alas, Mancini hasn't called him up. Wouldn't want to be in Luli's place tonight for sure.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Yep.

A tennis choke clinic.

Verdasco could choke too. :shrug:

scoobs
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Well yes he could.

Still, Acasuso is coming at this thing cold - he's only won 2 matches since Bucharest and fast indoor hard would hardly be his surface of choice.

JolánGagó

What's the difference, genius?

LinkMage
Is it confirmed Acasusto will play tomorrow? We are SO screwed. :sobbing: :tears:

LinkMage
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM
What's the difference, genius?

That Calleri will never read that message because I'm sure he doesn't post on MTF.

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Yep, I know.

I think even Granollers would play better than Verdasco.

Bilbo
11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Is it confirmed Acasusto will play tomorrow? We are SO screwed. :sobbing: :tears:

he has won only 12 matches indoors in his whole career :tape:

*snowflake*
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Poor guy - his hair was already standing on end today.

lol poor Chucho

But who in their right mind would put Verdasco to play an important match that can decide the winner? He choked numerous times today, served double faults at break points just cause the Argentines got a lil louder. Even though Ferrer is far from his best form he's mentally stronger, plus even at this level of play he's be good enough to beat Chucho. :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
11-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Granollers should play.

rhinooooo
11-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Chucho on indoor hard :scared:

octatennis
11-22-2008, 09:10 PM
i have faith in acasuso, the misionero is going to be a legend tomorrow.

Björki
11-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Fer[rer?] better not lose tomorrow :scared:

LinkMage
11-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Fer[rer?] better not lose tomorrow :scared:

What's with your love for Spain? :confused:

Björki
11-22-2008, 09:33 PM
What's with your love for Spain? :confused:

why not? ;)

fast_clay
11-22-2008, 09:55 PM
were any spainiards mugged in the streets this evening after the match...?

au_sports_opinion
11-22-2008, 10:12 PM
beautiful result

Hendu
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Congrats to the Spanish doubles couple.

Vamos Chucho!!!

He can do it.

Albop
11-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Vamosssssssssssssssss.

buddyholly
11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Anybody know what the insults directed at Verdasco were? Sanchez said he could not repeat them.

alfonsojose
11-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Acasuso vs. Verdasco :lol:

Cafisho
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Tomorrow Chucho will have the test of his life... for the second time. Hope this one ends well for us.

JolánGagó
11-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Anybody know what the insults directed at Verdasco were? Sanchez said he could not repeat them.

They were called "puto", which is Argie for "faggot".

buddyholly
11-22-2008, 11:22 PM

I assume you are talking only tennis, not football, where even the managers hurl racist epithets, or F1.

freeandlonely
11-22-2008, 11:23 PM
no.......sad

jonathancrane
11-22-2008, 11:23 PM
On spanish radio i hear that after the match Nalby and Calleri have been punching each other in the locker room , and Nalby didn't attend the press conference and has been fined with $10000
:eek:

buddyholly
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
They were called "puto", which is Argie for "faggot".

They were just jealous because Fernando had Ivanovic waiting for him in his room.

scarecrows
11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
On spanish radio i hear that after the match Nalby and Calleri have been punching each other in the locker room , and Nalby didn't attend the press conference and has been fined with $10000

lolz, that would be the best thing ever if Nalby came out tomorrow with a black eye

jayjay
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Calleri should save his punches for LinkMage.

Queens.
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Congrats Spaniards on the victory. Despite that 5-1 lead in the third set, they played much better than David and Agustin today. :yeah:

Good luck Jose and David tomorrow. :rocker2:

Snoo Foo
11-22-2008, 11:29 PM
On spanish radio i hear that after the match Nalby and Calleri have been punching each other in the locker room

:eek: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/009.gif

finishingmove
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
i can't believe they're such losers.

at least chucho is there, as a light at the end of the tunnel.

buddyholly
11-22-2008, 11:43 PM
at least chucho is there, as a light at the end of the tunnel.

The Spaniards think they see the light at the end of the tunnel, but they are about to get hit by choochoo.

dylan24
11-22-2008, 11:44 PM
lopez is an indoor legend.
he'd probably beat fat bastard in the 5th tie if arg wins 4th tie somehow

dylan24
11-22-2008, 11:45 PM
:eek: http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/009.gif

test

dylan24
11-22-2008, 11:46 PM

they were fighting over the last burrito in the post match buffet

buddyholly
11-22-2008, 11:50 PM
they were fighting over the last burrito in the post match buffet:lol:

bad gambler
11-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 12:24 AM
were any spainiards mugged in the streets this evening after the match...?

well, not that I know of, but...

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2008/11/16/comunicacion/1226856941.html

the TVE (Spain's main tv channel) guys got a camera and video material stolen in Argentina :rolleyes:

LaLo is the man, if he beats Nalby, he'll get a statue somewhere in front of the Tajo River, if it is too epic, maybe at the Alcázar :lol:

Acero Toledano :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

JolánGagó
11-23-2008, 12:27 AM
any news in the Argie media about the punching?

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 12:31 AM
he did leave the stadium and refused to go to the press conference :rolleyes:

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2008/11/22/tenis/1227388057.html

Nalbandian refused to go to the press conference and when they called him on the phone, he simply said no, so it was up to Mancini and Calleri to face the press

What a sore loser this Fat Dave! specially because it was for many of his mistakes that they lost the match! :shout:

http://www.lmneuquen.com.ar/noticias/2008/11/22/11213.php

here it says that there are rumors about a fight but nothing was confirmed :shrug:

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Has Del Potro's withdrawal been confirmed? Or is it purely speculation?

TIA for any answers.

shotgun
11-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Nalbandian criticized Del Potro for going to Shanghai. Similar to what happened in the 2005 tie against Slovakia when he criticized Coria for playing in Beijing the week before.

buddyholly
11-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Wasn't Nalbandian in Paris fighting for a spot in Shanghai? I don't believe he was just defending his title and would have rejected a spot in Shanghai.

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 12:51 AM
He said all along that he wasn't going to play Shanghai even if he qualified if the Argies reached the DC Final.

Can't tell if he would have kept to his word.

jayjay
11-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Wasn't Nalbandian in Paris fighting for a spot in Shanghai? I don't believe he was just defending his title and would have rejected a spot in Shanghai.

He wouldn't have gone to Shanghai, had he made it.

It's easier for him to say that because he has been in and won TMC before. This was JMDP's first time, it's right he should go if he wants. I understand David's disappointment/frustration, and I guess if anyone deserves to be heard it is him given everything he has given to Argentina Davis Cup tennis, but he's not necessarily right, here.

~*BGT*~
11-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Surely Nalby shouldn't be upset at Juan for playing Shanghai -- he's a 20 year old qualifying gdor the first time. :eek:

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Surely Nalby shouldn't be upset at Juan for playing Shanghai -- he's a 20 year old qualifying gdor the first time. :eek:

Del Potro knew he was in bad shape, and he's said it enough times.

He said he was completely knackered in Paris and that he had trouble moving, he was quite cleary nowhere near his best when he arrived in Beijing, and played 3 matches when he should have been resting.

I know it was alot of money but this was a golden chance to bring the DC to his home country. Nalbandian would die for this DC and it's understanable that he's angry when others perhaps havent got the same level of committment to the cause.

LinkMage
11-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Nalbandian criticized Del Potro for going to Shanghai. Similar to what happened in the 2005 tie against Slovakia when he criticized Coria for playing in Beijing the week before.

Nalbandian :yeah:

finishingmove
11-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Nalbandian :yeah:

no man, its wrong. del potro can't be criticized for that.

Corey Feldman
11-23-2008, 01:06 AM
when Maradona shows up - it will all change

TankingTheSet
11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Del Potro knew he was in bad shape, and he's said it enough times.

He said he was completely knackered in Paris and that he had trouble moving, he was quite cleary nowhere near his best when he arrived in Beijing, and played 3 matches when he should have been resting.

I know it was alot of money but this was a golden chance to bring the DC to his home country. Nalbandian would die for this DC and it's understanable that he's angry when others perhaps havent got the same level of committment to the cause.

I think it is plausible that the ATP put a lot of pressure on Del Potro not to withdraw from Shanghai even if he was considering it. Del Potro may have been between two fires and in a difficult situation, and in the end he was "too afraid" to say "no" to the ATP which would take some courage which is why Nalbandian criticized him. Just my interpretation.

krystlel
11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
I think it is plausible that the ATP put a lot of pressure on Del Potro not to withdraw from Shanghai even if he was considering it. Del Potro may have been between two fires and in a difficult situation, and in the end he was "too afraid" to say "no" to the ATP which would take some courage which is why Nalbandian criticized him. Just my interpretation.
I don't think so. Del Potro stated publicly many times that it was his dream to play the Masters Cup.

fast_clay
11-23-2008, 01:31 AM
He said all along that he wasn't going to play Shanghai even if he qualified if the Argies reached the DC Final.

Can't tell if he would have kept to his word.

i would say dave would have kept to his word... you could probably rely on that... his results indicate that he cares f*** all for the ATP and only plays when he wants or cares enough... which is all good...

as for Fat Dave having a bit of biff with Calleri.... well, you'd have to think that Calleri would be employing the 'hit and run' tactic, and run fast... otherwise Nalbo is moondancing all over calleri's skull... complete mismatch...

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 01:41 AM
This pic says it all...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5122/83788437lf8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Lalo, THE man :rocker: :lol: :D

finishingmove
11-23-2008, 01:46 AM
pics is so "well done, hubby"

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Pics was really close to tears :lol: :lol: :lol:

bad gambler
11-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Deivid must be loving this

Lopez = Spanish DC warrior :lol:

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
yeah, Deivid said that Lalo would crash under the pressure, that's why even in the middle of whistling and name-calling he delivered two aces in a row to save Spain's ass :o

Medina
11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
i hope Agustin bashed the shit out of David (:

hes being a real prick

Voo de Mar
11-23-2008, 02:06 AM
yeah, Deivid said that Lalo would crash under the pressure, that's why even in the middle of whistling and name-calling he delivered two aces in a row to save Spain's ass :o

Lopez isn't a mental midget. Actually I consider him as a strong mentally player. Of course he has own bad collapses (like every player) but he is able to serve an ace on 2nd-1st serve at match point down in the 5th set (this year's case at Wimbledon), ain't many players in Top 100 who can do it.

scoobs
11-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Lopez isn't a mental midget. Actually I consider him as a strong mentally player. Of course he has own bad collapses (like every player) but he is able to serve an ace on 2nd-1st serve at match point down in the 5th set (this year's case at Wimbledon), ain't many players in Top 100 who can do it.
Was that against Baghdatis?

Yeah he was tough that day - kept expecting him to fold but he didn't.

TankingTheSet
11-23-2008, 02:56 AM
I don't think so. Del Potro stated publicly many times that it was his dream to play the Masters Cup.

:lol: What does that prove about his real feelings? Do you think he would or could say anything else in the media coverage associated with the YEC?

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Murray made clear that whilst he wanted to playing in and winning the MC it wasn't exactly something that he'd dreamed about or regarded as one of his priorities.

...........so players don't always have to peddle out what they 'should' say ;)

Jimnik
11-23-2008, 03:11 AM
LOL. I cannot believe Spain will pull this off without Nadal and Ferrer's help. This is definitely one of the muggiest Davis Cup finals of all time.

As for tomorrow, Granollers is a much better option than Verdasco - still the world #1 choker.

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 03:18 AM
thing is I do believe ESV now knows that Pics is shit, if it was up to him, he'll put Lalo to play both matches :lol: 'cuz he's by far the best player he has in there, but since he doesn't, he goes for the most experienced between Granollers and Verdasco :shrug:

still, I do believe Marcel should be given a chance :yeah:

finishingmove
11-23-2008, 03:31 AM
thing is I do believe ESV now knows that Pics is shit, if it was up to him, he'll put Lalo to play both matches :lol: 'cuz he's by far the best player he has in there, but since he doesn't, he goes for the most experienced between Granollers and Verdasco :shrug:

still, I do believe Marcel should be given a chance :yeah:

agreed

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 03:34 AM
Erm........... he's playing Ferrer.

Arkulari
11-23-2008, 03:37 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
if that's true, and Lalo manages to beat Fat Dave, he will get a bronze statue at the Alcazar in Toledo, 'cuz he would have singlehandedly given the title to Spain :eek:
Pics right now is at his WORST possible level :eek:

Henry Chinaski
11-23-2008, 03:37 AM
hilarious.

nation of chokers. hope they pull it off though still.

KaiserT
11-23-2008, 03:39 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
if that's true, and Lalo manages to beat Fat Dave, he will get a bronze statue at the Alcazar in Toledo, 'cuz he would have singlehandedly given the title to Spain :eek:
Pics right now is at his WORST possible level :eek:

I know :o

He's a non-entity on court at the moment, not even top 50 on hardcourt at current level.

Corey Feldman
11-23-2008, 03:44 AM
yeah, Deivid said that Lalo would crash under the pressure, that's why even in the middle of whistling and name-calling he delivered two aces in a row to save Spain's ass :othats the thing about that burro Deivid, he's not right every time

;)

TankingTheSet
11-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Murray made clear that whilst he wanted to playing in and winning the MC it wasn't exactly something that he'd dreamed about or regarded as one of his priorities.

...........so players don't always have to peddle out what they 'should' say ;)

I guess that's because Del Potro is a pansy while Murray clearly isn't...

MarcelaTauro
11-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Now the things dont look so good as most in here expected :scared:

Stgobaiano
11-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Hope Homo Acasuso wins 4th rubber, because David obviously will win 5th rubber.

Vamos David!

Deivid23
11-23-2008, 07:24 AM

He indeed crashed as always (double faulting on 3rd set tie breaker, lucky he was helped by awful errors from JMDP to clinch the set) and when everything was about to be done, he lost his serve out of a blue, with silly errors. JMDP´s injury saved him from an embarrasing choke, I´m sure.

Yesterday, it was funny how he was going to blow that 5-1 lead in the 3rd (nice easy volley netted at break point against on 3-5 :lol:) but Nalbandian and Calleri got the better of their choking selves blowing another 5-1 lead in the TB.

So no matter if LaLo helps Spain to win our 3rd Ensaladera, he´s still a very weak player in the mental department and the ones that say he´s a strong player mentally are fucking retards.

Hope this helps

Komodo
11-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Well, Deivid23, every player has ups and downs during the course of a match.
You can't just find the few moments that didn't go perfectly to conclude that he was indeed menatlyl weak.
In the end, the guy took the probably deciding rubber of the davis cup final against a nominally much stronger player and against the hostile fans.
He also carried Vredasco to win the second point.
He was two breaks up by the way, so it wouldn't have been a problem even if Del Potro had gotten one break back.

That is a mentally strong effort, no matter how you twist it.

And I really don't like Feliciano Lopez.

To finish every other post with "hope this helps", isn't as cool as you may think, by the way.

/komodo

Julio
11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
So no matter if LaLo helps Spain to win our 3rd Ensaladera, he´s still a very weak player in the mental department and the ones that say he´s a strong player mentally are fucking retards.

Hope this helps

It doesn't help, Deivid. I thought like you before his match against Del Potro. For me Lopez is showing some amazing mental skills during this event. It doesn't mean that he will show the same skills during a big event on tour as a Gran Slam. But for this Davis Cup, Lopez esta mostrando que tiene "cojones".

cobalt60
11-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow interesting result. If Spain wins the DC without Nadal :worship: I still am rooting for Argentina though :banana:

Mateya
11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Wow interesting result. If Spain wins the DC without Nadal...

...it will show us in what mug era we live in.

VAMOS ARG!

Lala186
11-23-2008, 02:36 PM
http://es.justin.tv/md17 davis cup

alfonsojose
11-24-2008, 04:20 AM

Maybe with cakes :lol:

finishingmove
11-30-2008, 10:04 PM