Can someone translate Russian to English? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can someone translate Russian to English?

Kolya
11-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Can someone translate this: загнулся....что еще такого...загоняли его тренировками..трамы наверняка

Cheers.

Kolya
11-23-2008, 09:11 AM
No one?

scoobs
11-23-2008, 09:35 AM
the dictionary.com translator comes up with

it was bent….that still similar… forced by its trainings. .[tramy] for sure

Kolya
11-23-2008, 10:41 AM
:lol:

Hmm...

-Evita-
11-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Well I'm not a native Russian but here's the best I can come up with:

загнулся.... - somebody bent down or was bent down or something similar (I'm not sure)

что еще такого... - this is an expression of surprise used mostly when another bad thing happens on top of a previous bad thing. Approximate translations are "And what is that?" or "What else has happened?"

загоняли его тренировками.. - he was worn down by the trainings/practices (I'm not 100% sure about 'worn down')

трамы наверняка - I can't translate 'трамы', I don't think such a word exists in Russian. Perhaps there's a mistake and it should be 'травмы наверняка'. In this case it means 'definitely/probably injuries'

I hope this helped :)

Kolya
11-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Thank you.

I asked about an athlete and what happened to him because he retired early.

MariaV
11-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Well I'm not a native Russian but here's the best I can come up with:

загнулся.... - somebody bent down or was bent down or something similar (I'm not sure)

что еще такого... - this is an expression of surprise used mostly when another bad thing happens on top of a previous bad thing. Approximate translations are "And what is that?" or "What else has happened?"

загоняли его тренировками.. - he was worn down by the trainings/practices (I'm not 100% sure about 'worn down')

трамы наверняка - I can't translate 'трамы', I don't think such a word exists in Russian. Perhaps there's a mistake and it should be 'травмы наверняка'. In this case it means 'definitely/probably injuries'

I hope this helped :)

Yep that was obviously a typo.
Sorry I'm late here but Evita has answered it well, btw "worn down" is a correct expression here I think. :hatoff:

-Evita-
11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you.

I asked about an athlete and what happened to him because he retired early.

In this context I think "что еще такого..." means "What else...", the poster is looking for more reasons to tell you. Also I just consulted with a Russian colleague of mine and she said "загнулся" could mean either that the sportsman is dead or that he's dead figuratively meaning he can't compete because his body won't allow him.

Kolya
11-24-2008, 10:44 PM
In this context I think "что еще такого..." means "What else...", the poster is looking for more reasons to tell you. Also I just consulted with a Russian colleague of mine and she said "загнулся" could mean either that the sportsman is dead or that he's dead figuratively meaning he can't compete because his body won't allow him.

Thanks again.

Yes the athlete was a World champion at 21 and "retired" when he was 23 so I guess it may have been injuries or over-training.