Roddick Taps Larry Stefanki as Head Coach [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roddick Taps Larry Stefanki as Head Coach

smucav
11-20-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.andyroddick.com/match-updates/2008/11/20/roddick-taps-larry-stefanki-as-head-coach/Roddick Taps Larry Stefanki as Head Coach
November 20, 1:01pm GMT+5 by andyroddick.com

Team Roddick is thrilled to announce that Larry Stefanki will be joining Andy on the road as his head coach.

An Illinois native, Stefanki played on the ATP tour for nine years reaching a career high ranking of 35. He has trained an impressive roster of players including John McEnroe, Marcelo Rios, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Tim Henman and most recently Fernando Gonzalez. Under his guidance both Rios and Kafelnikov reached the No. 1 ranking.

The timing of this exciting new partnership provides the duo the majority of the off season to prepare for 2009.

Check back to Ar.com for more updates!

Albop
11-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Boooooo

Thanks Larry for all the great work. :yeah:

Smoke944
11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Woah
Probably a good move. I don't think Larry will put up with the shitty slice approaches that go through half the court or the terrible drive approaches to the opponent's strength.

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Woah
Probably a good move. I don't think Larry will put up with the shitty slice approaches that go through half the court or the terrible drive approaches to the opponent's strength.god let's hope not.

Albop
11-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Lol Stefanki said to Gonzo that he was going to work with the USTA not with Roddick. :lol:

peterparker
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I remember reading somewhere that stefanki was way overrated.

tangerine_dream
Great choice for Andy but what happened to Stefanki coaching Gonzo?

Deboogle!.
Lol Stefanki said to Gonzo that he was going to work with the USTA not with Roddick. :lol:maybe he was and when andy heard he was available, he called him and offered a better deal :shrug: Andy only started calling people within the last couple weeks, soooo....I remember reading somewhere that stefanki was way overrated.isn't a lot of coaching in tennis arguably overrated, considering how much it's dependent on one guy being confident enough to go out and execute and it's also so dependent on how the opponent performs on the day? He was with Brad for over a year, no one's more overrated than he is, IMO

amierin
11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
When did Gonzo and Stefanki part company?

Corey Feldman
11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Stefanki's coaching philosophy with Henman/other players was to take alot off the serves to make it a higher % 1st serves in

CYA A-Rod

Smoke944
11-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Boooooo

Thanks Larry for all the great work. :yeah:

Indeed :worship:
I mean, hell, I like Gonzalez a lot more than I do Roddick, but I'm tired of my country's best player being so irrelevant.

peterparker
11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
maybe he was and when andy heard he was available, he called him and offered a better deal :shrug: Andy only started calling people within the last couple weeks, soooo....isn't a lot of coaching in tennis arguably overrated, considering how much it's dependent on one guy being confident enough to go out and execute and it's also so dependent on how the opponent performs on the day? He was with Brad for over a year, no one's more overrated than he is, IMO

lol. I agree it's very hard to figure out what a coach adds to a player's game. I did like that bodo article a little while back that tried to identify different "types" of coaches.

edited to add: http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=4709. Damn I also picked Nadal to win wimby...where's my racquet?!

*snowflake*
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
This is what Fernando said

Hola amigos. Escribo para contarles que no seguiré trabajando con Larry Stefanki, quien ha sido mi técnico en los últimos tres años y se convirtió en una de las personas que más aportó a mi desarrollo como tenista.

Larry me llamó por teléfono para decirme que tuvo una oferta irrenunciable de trabajo en la Federación de Estados Unidos, la USTA. Como Larry ha sido siempre un caballero, me quiso comunicar antes lo que estaba pasando y obviamente que por tratarse de una extraordinaria posibilidad de desarrollo para él, le dije que la tomara.

Por una parte es lamentable perder a Larry como técnico. Me ayudó mucho en estos últimos tres años. Con él clasifiqué directamente al Masters de Shanghai y llegué a las finales del Abierto de Australia y de los Juegos Olímpicos de Beijing. Aparte de eso, es una persona extraordinaria, de una sencillez asombrosa y que sabe muchísimo de tenis.

Por otra parte, siento una alegría enorme de que reconozcan sus méritos con una gran oportunidad para trabajar en el desarrollo del tenis de su país. Larry se merece lo mejor y desde acá te mando un abrazo enorme y mis mejores deseos de éxito. Yo, por el momento, no tengo claro qué voy a hacer con el tema del técnico. En los próximos días le daré vueltas al tema, porque reemplazar a alguien como Larry es muy difícil.

I guess he didn't hear about the Roddick thing yet...

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
This is what Fernando said

I guess he didn't hear about the Roddick thing yet...thanks :) my guess is that the USTA went after him and andy heard about that and worked it out with the USTA to hire him for himself.

timafi
11-20-2008, 08:34 PM
both Andy and Fernando have terrible backhands and great forehands
at least Fernando is good at net unlike Roddick:tape: :lol:
what can Stefanki bring to Andy?:scratch:

Fee
11-20-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure about this decision at all, I still wonder if Annacone would have been better (and if he was asked and refused it... same with Cahill). Then again, with Andy the coach doesn't matter if Andy won't listen. So the real question is, will Andy listen?

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure about this decision at all, I still wonder if Annacone would have been better (and if he was asked and refused it... same with Cahill). Then again, with Andy the coach doesn't matter if Andy won't listen. So the real question is, will Andy listen?Andy explicitly stated he was not going to go after people who are currently employed. I believe that Annacone and Cahill are both under contract, with the LTA and TA, respectively, aren't they?

Fee
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Andy explicitly stated he was not going to go after people who are currently employed. I believe that Annacone and Cahill are both under contract, with the LTA and TA, respectively, aren't they?

Not sure what Cahill is up to. I thought he meant employed as other players' coaches not just employed in general. That really limited his choices.

Anyway, I hope this works out...

why,marat,why?
11-20-2008, 09:30 PM

Correction: Roddick's forehand is not great. It is not even good. He gets by on his serve and killer instincts these days.

Richard_from_Cal
11-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Woah
Probably a good move. I don't think Larry will put up with the shitty slice approaches that go through half the court or the terrible drive approaches to the opponent's strength.x2 on the good move bit. I seem to remember Stefanki as having coached Martina Navratilova, and here below he is in fairly "name" country:

click me, 'cause I won't display in an image bracket (http://www.jamd.com/image/g/292471)
3 Oct 1993: Bjorn Borg watches his partner Larry Stefanki speak into the microphone after a match against Jimmy Connors and Harold Solomon. Borg and Stefanki won the match. Mandatory Credit: Al Bello /Allsport

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Not sure what Cahill is up to. I thought he meant employed as other players' coaches not just employed in general. That really limited his choices.

Anyway, I hope this works out...Well he said he wouldn't go after people who have jobs as a response to a question about Annacone, so he must've met anyone in general, since annacone definitely has a contract with the LTA. Maybe he was just BSing, we can't know that, but that's what he said. Yes it did limit his choices, but as you said, who his coach is may not even matter anyway if he doesn't listen or still acts like a :retard: on the court :) All the experimentation with Jimmy and his brother was nice and all but I am glad he went with a traditional solid coach. He needs help with his head, the rest will come with it if he cares enough.

Serenidad
11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Another person Roddick will unjustly blame when his results don't change. They'll split post Wimbledon pre USO.

Deboogle!.
11-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Another person Roddick will unjustly blame when his results don't change. They'll split post Wimbledon pre USO.please provide proof of anytime he has ever blamed a coach for his problems. Hate him all you want, but a false statement like that is just silly :lol:

JimmyV
11-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Awesome, Stefanki can get Roddick to slice his backhand more and use his killer forehand :retard::retard::retard::retard:

fast_clay
11-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Stefanki did some great work with mac in mac's last hurrah... got mcenroe to view old tapes of himself from the early 80's which mac didnt initially appreciate, but had AO qf and Wimb sf results as a result... would take certainly a strong personality to work in that fashion, so i can see a successful stint with roddick... and his work with Gonzo was very, very noticeable... i do rate stefanki and seems like the type of coach that doesnt mind to subscribe to the gilbert philosphy of: every coach has a particular use by date with a player...

cobalt60
11-20-2008, 11:35 PM
This will be interesting..............

MrChopin
11-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Correction: Roddick's forehand is not great. It is not even good. He gets by on his serve and killer instincts these days.

And by killer instincts you mean "I'm going to marry that girl I saw in the magazine."

fast_clay
11-21-2008, 12:05 AM
And by killer instincts you mean "I'm going to marry that girl I saw in the magazine."

:lol:

if the US Open was played in the grounds of the Playboy Mansion, Roddick would be 7-time, back-to-back champion...

:rocker2:

Deboogle!.
11-21-2008, 12:09 AM
And by killer instincts you mean "I'm going to marry that girl I saw in the magazine."Well, she's wearing the big diamond, isn't she? :lol:

ChinoRios4Ever
11-21-2008, 12:15 AM
Larry did a great job with Rios and Gonzo, he will be remembered here :worship: good luck with A-Rod :yeah:

bluefork
11-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Woah
Probably a good move. I don't think Larry will put up with the shitty slice approaches that go through half the court or the terrible drive approaches to the opponent's strength.

Yeah, 'cuz it's not like Gonzo ever hit shitty slices when he was with Stefanki...:p

finishingmove
11-21-2008, 12:29 AM
i want to see changes in roddick's game.

so i'll take this as a good thing

~*BGT*~
11-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Cautiously optimistic :unsure:

Serenidad
11-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah, 'cuz it's not like Gonzo ever hit shitty slices when he was with Stefanki...:p

:spit: A+

JimmyV
11-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I wish he got Cahill.

*Viva Chile*
11-21-2008, 01:56 AM
and what will happen with Gonzo??? :shrug:

ChinoRios4Ever
11-21-2008, 04:00 AM
and what will happen with Gonzo??? :shrug:

De La Peña :worship: :rocker: :lol:

alfonsojose
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Better than Andy, sure, but good, no.

Forehander
11-22-2008, 03:00 AM
lol Larry really likes coaching these tennis bad guys

~*BGT*~
11-22-2008, 04:10 AM
Andy Roddick has appointed Californian Larry Stefanki as his coach for 2009. Roddick, who finished this season at No. 8 in the South African Airways Rankings, will begin working with Stefanki December 1 in Austin, Texas, Roddick's home base. They plan to hit for a week and then practice again in the lead-up to Christmas before opening the season in Doha.

Roddick parted ways with Jimmy Connors early into the 2008 season and finished the year without a coach after his brother John had filled that role for a large part of the 2008 season. Roddick also was assisted later in the year by US Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe.

Stefanki, 51, recently ended his three-year partnership with Chilean Fernando Gonzalez. Stefanki, who reached a career-high singles ranking of No. 35 in 1985, has previously coached Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Marcelo Rios, Tim Henman and John McEnroe.

"I am extremely excited to be working with the No. 1 American five of the past six years," Stefanki told ATPtennis.com. "It's a great opportunity for me. Andy's number one goal is to capitalize on winning another Grand Slam or two.

"It's going to be an exciting challenge and I'm looking forward to it. At 26 years old, he's ready to make a major move. The time is right and he knows it and that's what makes it exciting. He's excited to start the season and I think he could do it and that's the fun part."

------------

So Andy is planning on playing a real tournament then.. that's good. :D

Stgobaiano
11-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Bad decision...

He started training great tennis players like R1OS and Kafelnikov then he trained mugs like Gonzo but coaching Roddick is worse than coach Gonzo.

If he coach James Blake he will arrive to hell.

Deboogle!.
11-22-2008, 05:27 AM
So Andy is planning on playing a real tournament then.. that's good. :Dthink it's a mistake, andy's playing that stupid exhibition with the rest of the top guys in Abu Dhabi. He hasn't played a real tourney before the AO since 2004.

Not sure what the hell he's doing in between the one week (what's the point:o) of them working together and Abu Dhabi....oh wait, 94809438209485209802980 charity exhibitions all over the US :o

~*BGT*~
11-22-2008, 06:19 AM
OT- I'm Team Fabio this season too. :rolls: He or that German are gonna win I think.

Tutu
11-22-2008, 10:21 AM
He's still gonna suck. :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Stefanki's contract with Gonzo ended, thats what i heard.
now Gonzo can get back to being himself and not the boring one of last 2 yrs or so.

can ducky get even more boring :spit: gonna have to wait and see :lol:

Byrd
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Haha, Roddick slicing more than he usually does ala gonzo, should be some nice entertainment :lol:

SheepleBuster
11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
No offense to Gonzo fans but I would jump off that sinking ship too if I were Larry. Larry is a very opportunistic person. He thinks he can make Roddick reach another quarter final at a slam, which let's be honest is the best Roddick can hope for at this point. So I think it is a good move. Roddick will probably never win a slam. Larry will guarantee that.

ChinoRios4Ever
11-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Gonzo is done as a top player IMHO. 28 years old, not the same motivation of past years, i see the begin of the downfall in 09. :awww:

He probably will have a Ljubicic or Cañas year next season, hope i'm wrong. :scared:

~*BGT*~
11-23-2008, 04:18 AM
now Gonzo can get back to being himself and not the boring one of last 2 yrs or so.

Could you be any more repetitive? :rolleyes:

Serenidad
11-23-2008, 04:41 AM
Oh please like Roddick is going to win a slam next year? Roddick fans needs to face the facts.

Roddick can't really change his game? He doesn't have the abilities and skill set of other players. Stefanki won't do anything with him partially because there is nothing he can do. Roddick has everything he will ever learn and it isn't enough because he's just not that good relative to the current Top 4. He has to come out and hope everything is working and even then against the other players he still might lose. I feel bad for him. He wins 03 USO and looks to be the next big American thing and then Federer shows up. He never closed that gap and now more and more people are just burying him.

Deboogle!.
11-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Oh please like Roddick is going to win a slam next year? Roddick fans needs to face the facts.Please show me where a Roddick fan said 1) he was going to win a slam next year or 2) something lacking in fact. Thanks :)

cobalt60
11-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Can someone clear up some confusion for me if they know? Did Stefanki sort of go behind Gonzalez' back so to speak? :scratch: Any Chileans read any info in the media? Thanks :hatoff:

EDIT: what I really mean to say is Did Stefanki screw Gonzo over royally or not? :p

Deboogle!.
11-23-2008, 07:39 PM
From everything I've read it sounds like either Stefanki's contract with Gonzo ended, or he left to pursue a position with the USTA. Based on something someone posted in this thread, it doesn't seem like Gonzo feels screwed, and Stefanki has quite a good reputation, so I'd be very surprised if he'd do that. And I've seen no evidence to suggest it.

zine56
11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
no, Gonzalez didn't end the relationship before this (they have their contract meeting before RG, from RG 06 to RG 07, from RG 07 to RG 08 so they were ready to start a new season), Larry said he had an offer from the USTA and possibly a job as DC captain and gonzo said "go ahead!" (this is taken from the blog gonzo has on his website)... the next day Larry is announced as the new Roddick Coach ¬¬.... nice! i was thinking the same thing that Cobalt said... but as "Debooogle" says there is no evidence of anyone feeling "screwed" so :)... who cares?

*Viva Chile*
11-23-2008, 08:35 PM

No, Stefanki's contract with Gonzo was renewed this year on RG 08 till RG 09. So it was a interrupt of contract. Seriously I didn't like the fact that Stefanki tells Gonzo that he will work with the USTA when finally it was for coaching the duck. Maybe Roddick when he heard that Larry will work for the USTA he gift a better offer, but it sounds very odd to me.

Anyways, Larry brought new things to Feña's game, some were good, some were bad (the overuse of that shitty slice :o) but the balance is still to only thanks to him, so good luck in the future Larry :hatoff:

I hope Gonzo will work now with Darren Cahill :)

~*BGT*~
11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I think Cahill is with Fed now, right? :scratch:

Deboogle!.
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
No, Stefanki's contract with Gonzo was renewed this year on RG 08 till RG 09. So it was a interrupt of contract. thanks for that information Maybe Roddick when he heard that Larry will work for the USTA he gift a better offer, but it sounds very odd to me.That's what I'm assuming happened. It seems like it all happened very fast

nobama
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
I think Cahill is with Fed now, right? :scratch:I wish. He's with no one unfortunately.

cobalt60
11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
no, Gonzalez didn't end the relationship before this (they have their contract meeting before RG, from RG 06 to RG 07, from RG 07 to RG 08 so they were ready to start a new season), Larry said he had an offer from the USTA and possibly a job as DC captain and gonzo said "go ahead!" (this is taken from the blog gonzo has on his website)... the next day Larry is announced as the new Roddick Coach ¬¬.... nice! i was thinking the same thing that Cobalt said... but as "Debooogle" says there is no evidence of anyone feeling "screwed" so :)... who cares?

Just goes to show you that when it all comes down to it; tennis and coaching is still a business. And where and who has the opportunites.
No, Stefanki's contract with Gonzo was renewed this year on RG 08 till RG 09. So it was a interrupt of contract. Seriously I didn't like the fact that Stefanki tells Gonzo that he will work with the USTA when finally it was for coaching the duck. Maybe Roddick when he heard that Larry will work for the USTA he gift a better offer, but it sounds very odd to me.

Anyways, Larry brought new things to Feña's game, some were good, some were bad (the overuse of that shitty slice :o) but the balance is still to only thanks to him, so good luck in the future Larry :hatsoff:

I hope Gonzo will work now with Darren Cahill :)

Thanks for the info. :) And I agree about Stefanki- he kept Gonzo in the mix these last couple of years IMO. And kept my hubby interested in tennis only when he played :o They both have nothing to be mad about. Hope Gonzo's fans feel the same. :hatoff:

NicoFan
11-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Would Fernando really admit it in the press if he was feeling screwed over? :shrug:

I have no problem with Stefanki going from Fernando to Andy. Coaching changes happen all the time.

I just felt bad for Fernando because when the news first broke that he and Stefanki were parting ways, there was no news of Andy....just that Stefanki was going to work for the USTA. Then the next day, the news breaks that Stefanki is coaching Andy. My humble opinion, but it made Fernando look clueless and made Stefanki look unprofessional.

Whatever...water under the bridge.

Stefanki should be able to help Andy, and hopefully Fernando will be able to find another coach who can also continue to help him. I think Stefanki had taken Fernando as far as he could anyway.

FairWeatherFan
11-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Roddick has an excellent serve and decent forehand but otherwise is a talentless muppet. No quality coaching is going to change that.

Sunset of Age
11-24-2008, 12:17 AM
Roddick has an excellent serve and decent forehand but otherwise is a talentless muppet. No quality coaching is going to change that.

If I remember well :scratch:, the same thing was said about Gonzo, having 'only' a killing FH. He did pretty well for such a one-dimensional player, getting to a GS final... and, how surprising, under Stefanki's guidance! ;)

finishingmove
11-24-2008, 12:24 AM
roddick should realize his true talent, and switch to a 1 handed backhand

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Would Fernando really admit it in the press if he was feeling screwed over? :shrug:Doubt it, but would he also voluntarily offer all kinds of positive things in a blog entry? If he felt crappy about it wouldn't he just say something simple or nothing at all instead of going out of his way to gush niceties?

NicoFan
11-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Doubt it, but would he also voluntarily offer all kinds of positive things in a blog entry? If he felt crappy about it wouldn't he just say something simple or nothing at all instead of going out of his way to gush niceties?

That's what makes it so odd. :shrug: Most players don't gush niceties when their coach is breaking their contract to go coach a rival. Seems to me like Fernando didn't know about Andy. I was very busy working last week and only glanced at the tennis news each day so could be wrong, but I thought the blog entry was made before the Stefanki-Andy team was announced. At a time when Fernando only thought Stefanki was going to work for the USTA as a whole, not a specific player. If I'm wrong, let me know.

But again, it's over now. Don't know why I'm posting on it. :lol: Just found the entire thing odd though.

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Maybe Stefanki WAS planning to go to the USTA for a few days, then Andy gets hurt in Shanghai and starts his search for a coach and hears about this and knows that the USTA won't stop him from hiring Stefanki, so whenever he wrote his blog, there wasn't anything to even know. Maybe it was all on the up and up from all parties involved. I don't know much about Stefanki but it seems like he has a good reputation, and I don't think any of these elite coaches would be dumb enough to burn bridges with one player to go to another. And considering that they were together for what, almost 3 years, and from all accounts was a positive/friendly working relationship, I would be surprised if Stefanki didn't call Gonzo and tell him what was going on so he wouldn't be blindsided by hearing about it some other way.

Anyway, like you said, it's irrelevant now.

NicoFan
11-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Could be. Only those close to Fernando and Larry know for sure what happened. :lol:

Like I said, good news for Andy...I'm happy to see Andy with Stefanki - I think Larry can help him.

And always good to have a coaching change after so long so I think it may help Fernando in the end too.

Deboogle!.
11-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Well I hope so. I would have preferred Annacone myself, but as Andy himself said he wasn't going after people who had contracts so he wasn't even looking at Annacone I guess. We'll see. Andy's biggest problems are his scheduling and himself, and I don't know if a coach can help that much with that, but we'll see.

El Legenda
11-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Roddick Taps Larry Stefanki

sounds about right.

Fumus
11-24-2008, 03:14 PM
No offense to Gonzo fans but I would jump off that sinking ship too if I were Larry. Larry is a very opportunistic person. He thinks he can make Roddick reach another quarter final at a slam, which let's be honest is the best Roddick can hope for at this point. So I think it is a good move. Roddick will probably never win a slam. Larry will guarantee that.

Fail.

smucav
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article5219442.eceLarry Stefanki enjoyed a couple of carefree rounds of golf at La Jolla in San Diego (one of the most beautiful courses anywhere, the Net Post can testify) content that another of the world's best tennis players likes his coaching style. John McEnroe was first to ask if he might steer him through the twilight years of his career, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Marcelo Rios (both of whom reached the world No.1 ranking with Stefanki) and Tim Henman turned to him for guidance and now it is Andy Roddick's turn.

Stefanki, 51, says that Roddick, having called him two days after pulling out of the Masters Cup in Shanghai with an ankle injury was "so pumped up I want to get going now. Can you be here tomorrow?" "Hold on," he replied "I'm going to the Big Game on Saturday. This isn't like Texas vs. Texas A&M," he said, in reference to the state where Roddick has made his home, "this is Cal vs. Stanford (the biggest college football game in the Bay State).

And so Roddick will have to wait another week to get down to work. Stefanki is just as eager. "Andy Roddick is the best server in tennis," said Stefanki, "and not only does he have the biggest serve in the game, he gets 68 percent of his first serves in. He held serve 91 percent of the time this year. That's an amazing stat. He just doesn't get broken very often. But (he pauses here) he's No.20 on return of serve.

"Confidence is built on the right mechanics and having the right philosophy. Andy, especially on second serve returns, needs to get more aggressive. Not necessarily going for everything, but not just sitting back and returning the ball. He's not a David Ferrer 5'9" road-runner. You've got to take more risks and unless you do you're not going to create that presence you want on the court."

In 2008, the year in which he qualified for the year-ending Masters for a sixth straight year, Roddick won 49 matches and lost 18. In those six years, he spent only four weeks outside the top 10 but at the age of 26 (and five years after winning the 2003 US Open, his lone grand slam) Roddick should be at the height of his game and he's counting on Stefanki to help him return to the elite level.

Stefanki had just ended a three-year coaching relationship with Fernando Gonzalez, the Chilean who reached No.5 and was runner-up at the 2007 Australian Open. The partnership had run its course. Was Stefanki surprised to receive Roddick's call? "A year ago, when Fernando made the Masters, we had dinner together - me, Andy and his brother, John. We talked largely about ATP politics. He had some interesting suggestions and he wanted to know what I thought. Then, this year, after he beat Fernando at the US Open (6-2, 6-4, 6-1 in the fourth round), I told him: 'That was the best I've ever seen you play.' I think maybe that conversation stuck in his mind. Now I'm absolutely overjoyed. I haven't been this excited in a long time, especially knowing he's even more excited about getting started."

It seemed appropriate, though to ask him about his period with Henman whom he coached for a couple of years from 2001 after the former British No.1 split with David Felgate. "Tim had to play a certain style, and it took a lot out of him physically. I don't know if he was tenacious enough," Stefanki said, "He's a very nice, but very passive guy. He loved to attack, but physically I don't know that he could sustain that. And his serve wasn't big enough." That will not be a problem with Roddick.

Serenidad
11-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Exactly. There is nothing a coach can do to add to his game. He's not a player who can completely overhaul his game and suddenly turn into a butterfly. There is no coach that can do anything for him except a placebo effect if he wins under the coach.

cobalt60
11-24-2008, 11:30 PM

I have always found that term endearing; actually maybe a spot of confidence and support is all the muppet needs;) Worked for Fernando.

Byrd
11-25-2008, 01:46 AM
How much is Stefanki getting paid to help this clown???, I'll be Roddick's coach if he wants, because at the end of the day old dogs can't learn new tricks, or in Roddick's case, can't learn anything period :lol:

Cat9
11-26-2008, 02:17 AM
roddick should realize his true talent, and switch to a 1 handed backhand

You kid, but actually Roddick started out with a one hander and I've often thought he should attempt to go back to it(couldn't hurt, right?)lol. Actually, I saw him hit a real one hander in a match once. Not a slice, but a full blown one hander...a down the line beauty for a winner. No kidding.

Deboogle!.
11-26-2008, 02:48 AM
You kid, but actually Roddick started out with a one hander and I've often thought he should attempt to go back to it(couldn't hurt, right?)lol. Actually, I saw him hit a real one hander in a match once. Not a slice, but a full blown one hander...a down the line beauty for a winner. No kidding.He does it in practice fairly regularly too, well, I've seen him do it several times in practice, I'll put it that way :lol: wouldn't say it's good, and usually he's just messing around and being silly, but anyway :p

smucav
12-03-2008, 06:22 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/wrap_120108.htmlMore clarification on the Larry-Stefanki-Andy Roddick-Fernando Gonzalez coaching development: apparently, Roddick’s people wouldn’t mind if the USTA kicked in some money to pay a portion of Stefanki’s salary to coach Roddick and would also like to see the experienced Stefanki get some kind of the role with the USTA in Player Development under Pat McEnroe and Jose Higueras. The idea is based around bringing more synergy to US tennis circles, and there’s no doubt that all the key players know each other very well. But coaching Roddick is a fulltime job and its hard to see Stefanki having any extra time, even if he was offered a part-time post.