http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/players

Novak Djokovic
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Gael Monfils
Mardy Fish
Marcos Baghdatis

Kat!
11-18-2008, 01:36 AM
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/2008/11/two-djokovics-for-the-price-of-one#more-630

Richard Gasquet and Marko Djokovic (!?) is also committed.

Getta
11-18-2008, 01:58 AM
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/2008/11/two-djokovics-for-the-price-of-one#more-630

Richard Gasquet and Marko Djokovic (!?) is also committed.

Well according to the tournament's website the Djokovic brothers, Novak and Marko, will form a doubles pairing. ;)

As for Gasquet, it's true. His official site confirms that.
http://www.richardgasquet.net/V3/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=1126

Puschkin
11-18-2008, 08:03 AM
As for Gasquet, it's true.

I am not so sure. I read it on the Brisbane website a couple if weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. :confused:

edit: Found it again, but it is well hidden. ;)

http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/2008/10/monfils-and-gasquet-on-their-way-to-brisbane#more-241

Monfils and Gasquet on their way to Brisbane
Tennis Australia Wednesday 8 October 2008

The French connection continues at the Brisbane International with the announcement today that World No.15 Richard Gasquet, and World No.28 Gael Monfils will compete in the inaugural event in January.

The dynamic Frenchmen will join compatriot and Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in what is shaping up as a star-studded draw.

Brisbane International Tournament Director Steve Ayles said, “We are thrilled to have both Monfils and Gasquet coming to Brisbane. Along with Tsonga, they are all highly competitive players, both on the Tour and among themselves.

“Tsonga defeated Gasquet in the round of 16 at the Australian Open this year, and last week defeated Monfils in the semis in Bangkok, before going on to win the final over Novak Djokovic. Gasquet ousted Monfils at the AO in 2007 and earlier this year Gasquet teamed with Tsonga to defeat the Bryan brothers in the Medibank International in Sydney,” Ayles continued.

Monfils and Gasquet join Australian Open winner, Novak Djokovic in the men’s draw, with AO finalist Ana Ivanovic heading the women’s line-up.

The Brisbane International also received a positive response from tennis fans following the announcement last week of the $9.90 ground pass, which will be available for each day of the tournament.

Tickets go on sale through Ticketek on Thursday 9 October, with single session tickets for centre court starting at just $24.90.

“We are really looking forward to presenting the Brisbane International at the amazing new Queensland Tennis Centre in January,” Ayles stated. “And the $9.90 ground pass gives everyone the chance to be part of the action.”

Tickets will be on sale through Ticketek from Thursday 9 October and can be purchased online at www.ticketek.com.au or 1300 888 104.

simplet
11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I hope Gasquet and Tsonga will play the doubles together here and in Sydney.

krystlel
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
I am not so sure. I read it on the Brisbane website a couple if weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. :confused:
I guess it is a bit silly having Fish's name there on the players page, but not Gasquet's. I can only imagine that they forgot to put him there.

When I read that Marko Djokovic was playing, at first I thought, "that's how we got Djokovic to come" but it's not anywhere as much of a big deal as singles.

Besides, Brisbane is where apparently Bernard Tomic will likely be getting a main draw wildcard into his first ATP event.

Thanos
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I guess it is a bit silly having Fish's name there on the players page, but not Gasquet's. I can only imagine that they forgot to put him there.

When I read that Marko Djokovic was playing, at first I thought, "that's how we got Djokovic to come" but it's not anywhere as much of a big deal as singles.

Besides, Brisbane is where apparently Bernard Tomic will likely be getting a main draw wildcard into his first ATP event.

agreed. i rather that tomic was given a wildcard to qualifying draw and earned his place into the main draw.

krystlel
11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
agreed. i rather that tomic was given a wildcard to qualifying draw and earned his place into the main draw.
He hasn't ever even played qualifying in an ATP event before, has he? So it would be a big step up for him.

They may as well give a wildcard to Mark Philippoussis if he wants one, while they're at it.

aussie_fan
11-18-2008, 11:07 AM
He hasn't ever even played qualifying in an ATP event before, has he? So it would be a big step up for him.

They may as well give a wildcard to Mark Philippoussis if he wants one, while they're at it.

Tomic played qualies at AO and won a round.

It'll be interesting who gets the wildcards. i think The Gooch will have to get one.

Thanos
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

nope, he only played in the australian open and lost in the qualifying against amritraj. he also played in croatian challenger and lost in the early there also.

i dont want to see him get a wildcard into the main draw and get humiliated like marko djokovic in his atp debut. i think both groth and ball deserve a wild card instead because at least they been playing challengers and know what to expect.

Baghdatis#1
11-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Yes. Marocs' first tournament. And the Djokovic brothers! This will be a great tourney. Does anyone know if Brisbane is near Melbourne or Sydney?

Thanos
11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
neither. brisbane is in another state, its like 10 hour drive or 1 and half hour plane ride from sydney.

MZverev-Fan
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Zverev in

Matchu
11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
So the entry list will be released this friday? the 21st apparently is the cut off date, thats what i read. So if this is true then current rankings as of this week will be used to entry, correct?

I'm just thinking about Guccione getting main draw acceptance so we dont have to give him a wildcard.

Thanos
11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
So the entry list will be released this friday? the 21st apparently is the cut off date, thats what i read. So if this is true then current rankings as of this week will be used to entry, correct?

I'm just thinking about Guccione getting main draw acceptance so we dont have to give him a wildcard.

i think so.. hes 81st at the moment that should be good enough to get him into the main draw

krystlel
11-19-2008, 07:01 AM

I didn't realize it was so close by! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the entry list.

Kat!
11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
The cut off is Friday, but normally we don't see the list until the week after?

I'd say around 26th.... based on past years experience....

Getta
11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
It'll be interesting who gets the wildcards.

Marcos Baghdatis (currently ranked 100th) seems certain to be handed a wildcard. Fortunately for him, he has many supporters in Australia.

Jader Magri
11-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Marcelo Melo and André Sá play here!
Good luck brazilians!

asabovesobellow
11-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I hope Baggy is not still badly injured, it has been a tough year :eek: I also hope Ball gets a WC for his home event

Jelena_78
11-20-2008, 12:19 AM
i dont want to see him get a wildcard into the main draw and get humiliated like marko djokovic in his atp debut. i think both groth and ball deserve a wild card instead because at least they been playing challengers and know what to expect.

Not the best debut but hey...
It can happen to anyone...even to the best :shrug:

Nadal lost to Youzhny in Chennai this year 0:6 1:6

The thing is Maki is not that talented, that stands. But the players that are already known, and had some results in junior level and are really talented...they should not get WCs often, but it's ok to give them a chance.
It would mean to Bernard...and who knows, he might do well.
I'd also like to see Krajinovic play in Belgrade in May :)

:wavey:

Jelena_78
11-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Marcos Baghdatis (currently ranked 100th) seems certain to be handed a wildcard. Fortunately for him, he has many supporters in Australia.

I hope Baggy is not still badly injured, it has been a tough year

:awww: Can't wait to see Marcos fit and back on track. This really has been a tough year :sad:
Hopefully 2009 will be a good one.
Pame!!

Baghdatis#1
11-20-2008, 01:39 AM
yeah. thank God for all of the Greeks and Greek-Cypriots that migrated to Australia.

Matchu
11-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Does Baghdatis have a protected ranking? That would suck if TA had to give the WC to Marcos over a Carsten Ball or a Sam Groth type, but I understand from a financial state why they would do it.

What people outside of Australia dont understand is that in Queensland (the state Brisbane is in) there is no where near the amount of Greeks there are in Melbourne or Sydney and he wont get as much support in Brisbane as he does in Sydney and Melbourne.

jmf07
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Does Baghdatis have a protected ranking? That would suck if TA had to give the WC to Marcos over a Carsten Ball or a Sam Groth type, but I understand from a financial state why they would do it.

What people outside of Australia dont understand is that in Queensland (the state Brisbane is in) there is no where near the amount of Greeks there are in Melbourne or Sydney and he wont get as much support in Brisbane as he does in Sydney and Melbourne.

Yeah if they do give him one it will be because of who he is and not the fact that there are lots of Greeks because as Matchu stated there is not a big Greek community in Brisbane.

Machiavelli
11-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Ancic said in the croatian papers that he will play in Brisbane....

Matchu
11-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Today is the day it gets released right?

Im so excited to see who is coming, can someone give me the link to the site that publishes it first?

kiwi10is
11-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Ancic said in the croatian papers that he will play in Brisbane....

Yes he is on the entry list for Brisbane ;)

here is the whole entry list..

Ancic, Mario
Benneteau, Julien
Berdych, Tomas
Calleri, Agustin
Darcis, Steve
Dent, Taylor
Djokovic, Novak
Ferrero, Juan Carlos
Fish, Mardy
Gasquet, Richard
Gicquel, Marc