Which breaking of the mind, body and spirit was most impressive in 2008...?(nominatio [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which breaking of the mind, body and spirit was most impressive in 2008...?(nominatio

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 12:49 AM
... with all the sh!t threads getting about I thought I'd start my own royally crap thread... i'll give it a couple of days before i post a poll on this subject cos for sure i'll miss some of the biggest events in the year of those at the top...

here are some of the landmark matches much talked about, and often quoted this year...

Tsonga announcing his arrival, just when Murray was set to announce his arrival at the Aussie Open... thereby delaying the Murray show by 6 whole months... ?

Tsonga derailing Nadal's best AO attempt yet in the AO semis, announcing himself as a GS threat and potential Top 5'er...?

Djokovic's demolition of Fed in the AO semi... perhaps marking the beginning of the end of the MUG ERA...?

Safin blowing out Djokovic at Wimbledon early on... showing Novak that he should not pay Mark Woodforde for volley coaching services...?

Or was it really at Hamburg where Novak lost his way for the latter half of 2008... with Nadal showing him who owns clay in the renown 'Battle for Number 2'...?

Or was it really Radek Stepanek who laid the foundations for Federer's ultimate **** of almost all of his titles, showing Fed how men with large genitalia roll in Italy...?

Nadal crushing Federer at the French Open final... comprehensively...?

Djokovic being hurt on grass at queen's by Nadal...?

Nadal summoning the spirit of 'sexy' once again to carstrate fed at Wimbledon...?

Djokovic's inner turmoil physically displaying it itself in the form of tears at an olympic loss...?

Simon's systematic demolition of Nadal at Madrid, where Simon shows Nadal that the 3rd set is Gillesville and Nadal had no place being there...?

Or was it Murray you took apart Nadal at the USO semis and first displayed the alarm bells for Nadal, having Nadal doubled over at the end of one rally, displaying to Nadal: This is the new benchmark for Defence.. b!tch...?

Murray crushing both himself in Federer in the RR stages of the TMC with the only interest of owning people... resigning Fed to his most sh!t season in years...?

nominate what i have missed... i'll poll the results in a couple of days...

GlennMirnyi
11-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Are you drunk mate?

Never expected some of those lines from you. :sad:

I'll go with Tsonga humiliation of Nadull.

Thanos
11-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Or was it really Radek Stepanek who laid the foundations for Federer's ultimate **** of almost all of his titles, showing Fed how men with large genitalia roll in Italy...?

i nominate this..

elessar
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
You forgot Nadal killing Djokovic's spirit at Queen's.
Had Roger not won the USO, I would have said Rafa's double beating at RG and wimbledon

~Maya~
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
... with all the sh!t threads getting about I thought I'd start my own royally crap thread...
:haha: :yeah:

Nadal beating Federer in Wimby

There is more for Novak

Sunset of Age
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Are you drunk mate?

What a surprise... :p

My most hilarious memories of 2008 come from the Mickey Mouse-event in Rotterdam, where the tournament director, one Mr. R. Krajicek, kept on hailing his all-star-studded entry list, and even openly claimed on numerous occasions that he wanted to see a Nadal-Hewitt (HEWITT??? :lol:) final there - to such an extent that the other players (the 'nobodies') openly started to complain about it.

Guess what? All of his 'stars', who were, as rumour has it, payed somewhere around the ***.*** digit appearance fee, were ousted before the QF. Poor Mr. Krajiced was forced to see one Mr. Llodra win the title there. :worship: :lol:

(sorry, btw, to all those who payed for the tickets to see their favs playing!)

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Are you drunk mate?

always...

yeah i know mate, it was hard... i had trouble writing some of them... may even needs counselling sooner or later... though, in the interests in remaining impartial i had to...

but me ol' mate, just listen one moment... just read between the lines a little... besides the Tsonga def nadal one, which two lines are shortest...?

;)

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
You forgot Nadal killing Djokovic's spirit at Queen's.
Had Roger not won the USO, I would have said Rafa's double beating at RG and wimbledon

hahahhaha.. your sig is phenonenal.:lol: :lol: :haha:

looks like 10am when someone is just about to open their pub in dublin here...

I'll add the Queens one now...

finishingmove
11-17-2008, 01:10 AM
when rafa made our boy cry at the olympics :sad:

u forgot that

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 01:26 AM
when rafa made our boy cry at the olympics :sad:

u forgot that

added...

federernadalfan
11-17-2008, 01:30 AM

:haha:

finishingmove
11-17-2008, 01:31 AM
looks like 10am when someone is just about to open their pub in dublin here...

:haha:

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 01:41 AM
What a surprise... :p

My most hilarious memories of 2008 come from the Mickey Mouse-event in Rotterdam, where the tournament director, one Mr. R. Krajicek, kept on hailing his all-star-studded entry list, and even openly claimed on numerous occasions that he wanted to see a Nadal-Hewitt (HEWITT??? :lol:) final there - to such an extent that the other players (the 'nobodies') openly started to complain about it.

Guess what? All of his 'stars', who were, as rumour has it, payed somewhere around the ***.*** digit appearance fee, were ousted before the QF. Poor Mr. Krajiced was forced to see one Mr. Llodra win the title there. :worship: :lol:

(sorry, btw, to all those who payed for the tickets to see their favs playing!)

i was there to see Sluiter play his last home match, at night, being knocked out by Llodra... was a nice 15 minutes presentation they gave to him...

but yeah... Krajicek has some way to go if he wants to be a competent tournament director... while i dont understand dutch and will never need to to get around NL, during that farewell to Sluiter, Krajicek had a few words that made a few cringe and murmur 'wtf' sounds... :lol:

Clydey
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
... with all the sh!t threads getting about I thought I'd start my own royally crap thread... i'll give it a couple of days before i post a poll on this subject cos for sure i'll miss some of the biggest events in the year of those at the top...

here are some of the landmark matches much talked about, and often quoted this year...

Tsonga announcing his arrival, just when Murray was set to announce his arrival at the Aussie Open... thereby delaying the Murray show by 6 whole months... ?

Tsonga derailing Nadal's best AO attempt yet in the AO semis, announcing himself as a GS threat and potential Top 5'er...?

Djokovic's demolition of Fed in the AO semi... perhaps marking the beginning of the end of the MUG ERA...?

Safin blowing out Djokovic at Wimbledon early on... showing Novak that he should not pay Mark Woodforde for volley coaching services...?

Or was it really at Hamburg where Novak lost his way for the latter half of 2008... with Nadal showing him who owns clay in the renown 'Battle for Number 2'...?

Nadal crushing Federer at the French Open final... comprehensively...?

Djokovic being hurt on grass at queen's by Nadal...?

Nadal summoning the spirit of 'sexy' once again to carstrate fed at Wimbledon...?

Djokovic's inner turmoil physically displaying it itself in the form of tears at an olympic loss...?

Simon's systematic demolition of Nadal at Madrid, where Simon shows Nadal that the 3rd set is Gillesville and Nadal had no place being there...?

Or was it Murray you took apart Nadal at the USO semis and first displayed the alarm bells for Nadal, having Nadal doubled over at the end of one rally, displaying to Nadal: This is the new benchmark for Defence.. b!tch...?

Murray crushing both himself in Federer in the RR stages of the TMC with the only interest of owning people... resigning Fed to his most sh!t season in years...?

nominate what i have missed... i'll poll the results in a couple of days...

I have to go with the tradesman's victory over Nadal at the US Open. The tradesman grabbed his tools, clocked in, did the job, clocked out and went home. No fuss.

NinaNina19
11-17-2008, 02:04 PM
I have to go with the tradesman's victory over Nadal at the US Open. The tradesman grabbed his tools, clocked in, did the job, clocked out and went home. No fuss.

I agree.

oranges
11-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Marat's schooling of Joker in more ways than one. He hasn't been the same ever since, no more I was in control stuff, no coronation of the new king announcements, not even the psych-you-up pre-match media strategies. :toothy:

lisaplenske
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
tsonga tsunami in AO, especially the semi finale against nadal:worship::worship::worship:

simply outpowered and outplayed.:cool::angel:

Henry Chinaski
11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Olympic doubles: The rebirth of JesusFed with Doctors now conducting research into whether Shanghai Smog cures glandular fever

stebs
11-17-2008, 04:59 PM
The biggest mental crushing for me was Nadal over Djokovic at Queens. Up till that match I always felt Djokovic had big belief against Nadal despite his poor record but I think the Djoker really expected to win that match and was just destroyed in the mind by some of the most intense and incredible mental strength I have seen even from Nadal who was out of this world on the big points. With a win in that match Djokovic would have been a different player at Wimbledon at least and probably furhter beyond. I even think it hurt him for the Olympics match where he didn't seem as sure of himself in the big moments like he had previously against Nadal and missed an easy smash to lose the match.

finishingmove
11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
The biggest mental crushing for me was Nadal over Djokovic at Queens. Up till that match I always felt Djokovic had big belief against Nadal despite his poor record but I think the Djoker really expected to win that match and was just destroyed in the mind by some of the most intense and incredible mental strength I have seen even from Nadal who was out of this world on the big points. With a win in that match Djokovic would have been a different player at Wimbledon at least and probably furhter beyond. I even think it hurt him for the Olympics match where he didn't seem as sure of himself in the big moments like he had previously against Nadal and missed an easy smash to lose the match.

well it started at hamburg. he thought he could beat nadal there.

but the olympics were the pinnacle

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 06:46 PM

yeah... in the guts of '08... moving from clay to grass... Nadal just owned Novak in those 'moments'... pretty sh!t from Djokovic, getting beat up by Nadal on grass... Novak has been a shell of a human being since... stuttering and apologising his way thru the back end of the season when really he should have just kept up the p!ss take arse picking...

the guts of '08 were a sad time for tennis... i thought '92 was revolutionary... this was a f***ing joke...

MrChopin
11-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I think the last few posts are near the truth. Nole was super confident after AO and IW (where he smashed Rafa), and his Montreal '07-and-after push upward peaked for the Hamburg match, which was his first direct shot at #2. After that, RG and then especially Queens were nails in the coffin, emotionally and for the #2 chance. I think the Hamburg match is also more of a "breaking" considering the tear Nadal went on after defending #2. I didn't get to see much of MC and Barcelona, but from Hamburg through Wimbledon, Nadal's play was consistently better than it had been all year, his cc bh looking ferocious.

FedFan_2007
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
If Nole was utterly crushed after the Queens lost, then how did he regroup to win the TMC? He msut be a real mental giant..

finishingmove
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
If Nole was utterly crushed after the Queens lost, then how did he regroup to win the TMC? He msut be a real mental giant..

this post has a deeper meaning

FedFan_2007
11-17-2008, 08:57 PM
this post has a deeper meaning

It has something to do with him "mano language".

tangerine_dream
11-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Bully Murray making little Juan cry so hard that he ran home to think of more "Your momma" jokes to say next time.

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Bully Murray making little Juan cry so hard that he ran home to think of more "Your momma" jokes to say next time.

that is a good one... perhaps the most crushing emotional blow there was this year... spectacular breakdown... will add this when i do the poll...

breezybee
11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I would also suggest Davydenko's win over Nadal in Miami, 6-4, 6-2 - completely surprised me.

HeretiC
11-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Chronologically:

Djokovic-Federer AO, Tsonga-Nadal AO, Hewitt-Safin LV, Fish-Federer IW, Federer-Djokovic MC, Nalbandian-Robredo MC, Nadal-Federer RG, Djokovic-Nalbandian Queens, Nadal-Djokovic Queens, Safin-Djokovic W, Nadal-Hewitt Olympics, Murray-Nadal USO.

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Hewitt-Safin LV, Fish-Federer IW, Djokovic-Nalbandian Queens, Nadal-Hewitt Olympics,

interesting selections... especially fish n fed :silly:

what happened in the hewitt - safin match... and the nadal - hewitt match...? i saw neither of them...

HeretiC
11-17-2008, 11:53 PM

what happened in the hewitt - safin match... and the nadal - hewitt match...? i saw neither of them...

Total domination from first point to the last one, close to a humiliation, when your opponent is doing everything at least twice as better as you are. Scarry... Very similar to Djokovic-Nalbandian in Queens or Nalbandian-Robredo in MC.

fast_clay
11-18-2008, 12:38 AM
i will try to get a look at the hewitt vs safin match somewhere... and yeah that nalbo-djok match was a total blow out...

peterparker
11-18-2008, 03:37 AM

Hewitt/Nadal wow, hewitt bad hip and all was totally destroyed. An interesting match especially if you have been following their matches. But hewitt's always the underdog so I doubt it has/had any effect on him (no breaking of mind, body or spirit).

Imo nadal will always have hewitt's mentality combined with near great tennis skills-a lethal combo as djokovic is finding out(lol, still favor djoko over nadal on hard courts). It would be great if nadal and hewitt got to play at wimbledon next year.

HeretiC
11-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Hewitt/Nadal wow, hewitt bad hip and all was totally destroyed. An interesting match especially if you have been following their matches. But hewitt's always the underdog so I doubt it has/had any effect on him (no breaking of mind, body or spirit).

Imo nadal will always have hewitt's mentality combined with near great tennis skills-a lethal combo as djokovic is finding out(lol, still favor djoko over nadal on hard courts). It would be great if nadal and hewitt got to play at wimbledon next year.

Yup, that is why I pointed that one. Hewitt always played well against Nadal, even on clay. He was being close to beat Nadal in Hamburg SF last year, lost in third 5-7. Their H2H is 4-4 and Olympics was the only time where Nadal managed to defeat Llegs apart from clay. Unfortunately, the hip problem might have role in it, but it was not that noticeable cause Lleyton always looks like he is giving the maximum out of him.

fast_clay
11-18-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah i notice the blow out score... be good to have hewitt back in the frame... languishing around 70 in the world right now...

Collective
11-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Dancevic over Nalbandian on Wimbledon. Total anihilation.

Andi-M
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Murray? Gasquet? Wimbledon 4R?
Wins this hands down.

fast_clay
11-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Wins this hands down.

thats a good one... destroyed one, and evelated the victor who maybe had been shut out at GS level by clay and Tsonga at the AO... 1 or 2 more nominations for this one and i'll throw it in the poll...

gjr
11-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Good thread.

I'm going for the 2 anihilations of the year.

I was lucky enough to see live Tsonga beat Nadal at the AO. The most amazing live tennis I have seen. I watched all of Tsonga's and Nadal's matches live at the AO this year and both where playing well. It was just total carnage out there. What makes this my No. 2 though is that it didn't really affect Nadals rest of the season.

No. 1 though for me is Nadal - Fed at the FO. Fed is by far the 2nd best player on the dirt but to lose that badly will have made a lasting impression. It will be interesting to see how the FO goes in 2009 but you can't see past a Nadal win and a career grand slam for Roger is looking further away that it has ever been.

fast_clay
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Good thread.

I'm going for the 2 anihilations of the year.

I was lucky enough to see live Tsonga beat Nadal at the AO. The most amazing live tennis I have seen. I watched all of Tsonga's and Nadal's matches live at the AO this year and both where playing well. It was just total carnage out there. What makes this my No. 2 though is that it didn't really affect Nadals rest of the season.

No. 1 though for me is Nadal - Fed at the FO. Fed is by far the 2nd best player on the dirt but to lose that badly will have made a lasting impression. It will be interesting to see how the FO goes in 2009 but you can't see past a Nadal win and a career grand slam for Roger is looking further away that it has ever been.

yeah... tsonga's pleasantly shocked the hell out of me... both are automatic starters due to their comprehensive nature...

simplet
11-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Wins this hands down.

I'm not so sure about that one. If anything, Gasquet was way worse before that than after, it apparently gave hime some degree of confidence to see that he could play well, even if he was fucked at the end. I guess you could say that he might have launched a come back had he won that match, but I'm not sure I'd call that "breaking him", he was already pretty broken to begin with.

I'd say his loss against Haas at the US open was a lot worse for him.

FedFan_2007
11-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Amazing that Federer & Nadal both got the worst beatdowns of their career in grand slams in the same year. Of course it happened on their worst surface.

Sunset of Age
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Amazing that Federer & Nadal both got the worst beatdowns of their career in grand slams in the same year. Of course it happened on their worst surface.

Nadal was just beaten fair-and-square by Muzza at the USO and by Tsonga at the AO. Those losses can't possibly be mentioned in the same sentence as a 'worst beatdown' as was Fed's loss against Nadal at RG. Now THAT was a total demolition job indeed.

Neither of the players got their minds, body and spirit broken at these losses, btw.

simplet
11-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Nadal was just beaten fair-and-square by Muzza at the USO. A loss that can't possibly be mentioned in the same sentence as a 'worst beatdown' as Fed's loss against Nadal at RG.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Tsonga.

Sunset of Age
11-19-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Tsonga.

Already corrected my post. ;)

fast_clay
11-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Nadal was just beaten fair-and-square by Muzza at the USO and by Tsonga at the AO. Those losses can't possibly be mentioned in the same sentence as a 'worst beatdown' as was Fed's loss against Nadal at RG. Now THAT was a total demolition job indeed.

Neither of the players got their minds, body and spirit broken at these losses, btw.

i feel murray started the rot.... and, simon finished him off in madrid... i do feel that because nadal went deeper in a couple of extra parts of the season this year, we are finding out that his style is not built for the entire tour, nor longevity... i reckon nadal was physically broken by paris... he was just unlucky enough to meet two guys happy to trade moonball, and perhaps do it better on hard...

Kolya
11-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Nadal's demolition of Federer at RG.

BigJohn
11-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Nadal over Djokovic, Queens.

luie
11-19-2008, 01:34 AM
At first glance It seems like Fed RG 08 but he played good on grass & hard subsequent to that loss,I'll hold on till next clay season to see if it broke his mind,body,spirit etc.etc. So For now I'll go with Nadal over Novak hamburg 08.

alfonsojose
11-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Olympic doubles: The rebirth of JesusFed with Doctors now conducting research into whether Shanghai Smog cures glandular fever

You mean Beijing.

peterparker
11-19-2008, 03:16 AM
At first glance It seems like Fed RG 08 but he played good on grass & hard subsequent to that loss,I'll hold on till next clay season to see if it broke his mind,body,spirit etc.etc. So For now I'll go with Nadal over Novak hamburg 08.

Fed. gave up in that 3rd set at RG there was definite spirit breakage there.

fast_clay
11-19-2008, 03:38 AM

yes... helpess, his shoulders slumped... arms dangling... head down... yes... breakage... perhaps realising that he and ivan lendl have more in common than he'd care to realise...

MrChopin
11-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Some other measures of Djokovic's mental strength before / since Hamburg Nadal loss:

Overall record:

28-5 / 30-10

Record against top 4:

Nadal: 1-0 / 1-3
Murray: 1-0 / 0-2
Fed: 1-1 / 0-1

Tiebreak record:

8-2 / 10-11

Post-match hugs:

15% / 100%

peterparker
11-19-2008, 04:12 AM
:banghead:yes... helpess, his shoulders slumped... arms dangling... head down... yes... breakage... perhaps realising that he and ivan lendl have more in common than he'd care to realise...

No way, fed's 10 dimensional and lendl is at best .5 dimensional. :cat:

BigJohn
11-19-2008, 04:12 AM

When I think of spirit breakage, I think it comes with lasting effect. I think he lost big time fair and square, but that did not break his spirit.

Fed won his next tournament without dropping a set then made the final of the next GS, an epic match. Sure, he lost to Nadal again, but Nadal had been the next best thing on grass for a couple of years already.

(...then BOTH won Olympic gold)

BigJohn
11-19-2008, 04:15 AM
Some other measures of Djokovic's mental strength before / since Hamburg Nadal loss:

Overall record:

28-5 / 30-10

Record against top 4:

Nadal: 1-0 / 1-3
Murray: 1-0 / 0-2
Fed: 1-1 / 0-1

Tiebreak record:

8-2 / 10-11

Post-match hugs:

15% / 100%

Very telling stats, especially the last one.

peterparker
11-19-2008, 04:19 AM
When I think of spirit breakage, I think it comes with lasting effect. I think he lost big time fair and square, but that did not break his spirit.

Fed won his next tournament without dropping a set then made the final of the next GS, an epic match. Sure, he lost to Nadal again, but Nadal had been the next best thing on grass for a couple of years already.

(...then won Olympic gold)

Resilient for sure.

fast_clay
11-19-2008, 04:34 AM
mods can close this thread if they like... or merge it with the POLL thread of the same title if it doesnt screw with the POLL options...?

Castafiore
11-19-2008, 08:45 AM

The term "fair-and-square" is irrelevant in this discussion IMO. Federer was beaten fair-and-square in that demolition job as well so that's not the point.

It's just that when he noticed, in the middle of the match, that he was at the receiving end of it and he couldn't do anything about it, he seemed to feel helpless and he let his head down: one is the result of the other.