Choose the best match of 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Choose the best match of 2008

jonathancrane
11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I put some matches that IMHO are overrated (Wimby final) or disgusting (Simon-Nadal in Madrid) but in some way i think they are important and a lot of people found them remarkable
My favourite is the Kohlschreiber - Roddick clash in AO. More than 100 winners each player, and the best backhand i've seen the whole season (Kohls) :worship:

I didn't put several matches i enjoyed more than some of the above (like Santoro - Armitraj in Newport, or Llodra - Haase in Rotterdam), because i tried to be objetive and choose relevant matches that the majority have seen

NinaNina19
11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
How was the US Open Federer-Murray match a good match? And the Simon-Nadal match is debatable.

Fiberlight1
11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Has to be Djoker- Nadal at AMS Hamburg for the #2 ranking..

Great match.

jonathancrane
11-16-2008, 08:57 PM
How was the US Open Federer-Murray match a good match? And the Simon-Nadal match is debatable.

Well, USO i think it was a lesson of attacking tennis by Federer. Half volleys, slices, FH.. great match
Simon - Nadal was horrible for me, boring match, but a lot of people here said it was one of the best matches of the year. Nadal took his own medicine.

miura
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Easily Wimbedon final, the tension, the impressive clutchplay by both player. Even I didn't appreciate the outcome I have to vouch for it as the best match of 2008. Almost beats my all-time favourite match, Wimbledon 2001 4R Sampras-Federer.

spriwi
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
My favourite is the Kohlschreiber - Roddick clash in AO. More than 100 winners each player, and the best backhand i've seen the whole season (Kohls) :worship:

nice that you made it clear whose backhand impressed you, we might have thought it was roddick's :cool:

rafa the best
11-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Wimbledon final, it had it all, great tennis, historic importance,record to be made and broken, the rain delay drama and it lasted over 4 hours.

Steelq
11-16-2008, 09:43 PM
In terms of drama and importance its Wimbledone final obviously,but in terms of pure tennis quality it's Nadal-Djokovic at Hamburg,just amazing match great display from both players.

MIMIC
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah...what about the Queens Final between Djokovic and Nadal?

rafa the best
11-16-2008, 09:55 PM
All the great matches have Rafa in them, that's so nice.

MagicMilan
11-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Wimbledon final followed by Hamburg SF. Those 2 matches just top all the others :worship:

Snoo Foo
11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Alves-Capdeville 1R USO

*snowflake*
11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Chennai semis Nadal/Moya

eta: out of the list Wimbledon Final...in this one i loved the outcome, while in the above mentioned match not so much :awww:

Vanjezi
11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
In terms of drama and importance its Wimbledone final obviously,but in terms of pure tennis quality it's Nadal-Djokovic at Hamburg,just amazing match great display from both players.

Can agre with u, only that two matches i saved on my hdd :)

casabe
11-16-2008, 10:17 PM
maybe nadal djokovic for the olympic gold should be in the poll

Andi-M
11-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Murray Nadal USO for me. Murray wa outreageous in this match.

Also Wimby final was classic!

habibko
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Entertainment: Federer vs. Santoro AO 2008 :worship:

Drama: Federer vs. Nadal Wimbly 2008 :sad:

Quality of Tennis: Nadal vs. Djokovic Hamburg 2008

Edomaster
11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
1. Wimbledon final: Nadal vs Federer
2. Masters-Cup: Murray vs Federer
3. MS Paris-Bercy: Tsonga vs Nalbandian

What does do the Davydenko vs Nadal of Miami in the list!?.. :haha:

ChinoRios4Ever
11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Alves-Capdeville 1R USO

Mugaul :sobbing:

I'm a serious note. Nadal v Moya Chennai SF. :worship:

sorrowman
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
yes nadal - moya was a great match , Nadal - Federer had full of drama but the quality of tennis I think wasnt very good..

Corey Feldman
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM
without a shadow of a doubt Murray - Nadal at the US Open was the match of the year, decade and century

HeretiC
11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
You should have first let posters to nominate matches and then open a pool with 10 matches with most nominations. :shrug:

Kolya
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
I love Kohlschreiber v Roddick at AO.

One of the most exciting matches of my life.

fast_clay
11-17-2008, 12:27 AM
You should have first let posters to nominate matches and then open a pool with 10 matches with most nominations. :shrug:

such clear thought has no place here mate... take your logic and practice it elsewhere... :lol:

GlennMirnyi
11-17-2008, 12:34 AM
32 morons so far voting for that pathetic Wimbledon final.

Thanos
11-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Alves-Capdeville 1R USO

capdeville choking :crying2: the kid such a headcase

Edomaster
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM
These matches also were very good:

- Gonzalez vs Blake for the silver medal.
- Nadal vs Djokovic for the step to the Olympian final.
- Hewitt vs Baghdatis third round of the Australian Open.
- Berdych vs Roddick semi-final of Tokio.
- Nadal vs Djokovic Queen's final.

LinkMage
11-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Why does the Wimbledon final have so many votes? Seems like this board is full of Nadulltards.

Fed played like a total clown in that match. Had he played well, he would have beaten Nadull in straights.

why,marat,why?
11-17-2008, 01:59 AM
Safin vs. Baghdatis in the Aussie Open 2nd Round was some awesome ball striking. Simon def. Nadal and Kohlshreiber def. Roddick probably take the cake for me.

brief
11-17-2008, 03:17 AM
Nadal vs Djokovic at Hamburg and Queens.

Sunset of Age
11-17-2008, 03:52 AM

Why does the Wimbledon final have so many votes? Seems like this board is full of Nadulltards.

Fed played like a total clown in that match. Had he played well, he would have beaten Nadull in straights.

:ras: :ras: :ras:

I am a Fed fan, as everybody knows. Still I vote for this particular match, because 1) its dramatic and historical value, 2) it showed how much Fed indeed has a FIGHTING SPIRIT, which seemed to have surprised quite a lot of so-called 'tennis fans' out there (:confused: :confused: :confused: - as if one gets to 13 GS titles from bloody nowhere! :silly:), and 3) it proved for once and for all, that Rafa indeed is a force on grass as much as he is on clay. :yeah: - as if such wasn't clear enough before, him having made two finals already before, but I'm not going into that discussion, here. :angel:

Action Jackson
11-17-2008, 04:02 AM
Koubek-Mathieu at the Aus Open.

guga2120
11-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Nadal vs Djokovic at Hamburg and Queens.

Those 2, were the highest quality matches of the year.

The Wimbledon final was the most dramatic match, ever.

He was lucky Nadal, had that ridiculous schedule in 2007, otherwise he would have lost that match.

MrChopin
11-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Where's Murray d. Del Potro USO Q?

Outside of that, my favorites:

Nadal d. Djokovic Hamburg S
Murray d. Federer Madrid S
Federer d. Nalbandian Basel F

Action Jackson
11-17-2008, 05:15 AM

As predictable as a catholic in the Vatican.

habibko
11-17-2008, 08:00 AM

I am a Fed fan, as everybody knows. Still I vote for this particular match, because 1) its dramatic and historical value, 2) it showed how much Fed indeed has a FIGHTING SPIRIT, which seemed to have surprised quite a lot of so-called 'tennis fans' out there (:confused: :confused: :confused: - as if one gets to 13 GS titles from bloody nowhere!), and 3) it proved for once and for all, that Rafa indeed is a force on grass as much as he is on clay. :yeah:

spot on as usual Karin, I've also picked this match as the best match of the year overall, I haven't picked it out of tennis quality in particular (I'm not saying it wasn't tennis of the highest order though, especially starting from the third set) but it IS the best match of the year, everything taken into account.

if I'd consider the quality of tennis alone, the Nadal/Djokovic Hamburg semis was top quality from the first point to last, no chokes and almost not a single ridiculous error that comes to mind now.

keroni
11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
if I'd consider the quality of tennis alone, the Nadal/Djokovic Hamburg semis was top quality from the first point to last, no chokes and almost not a single ridiculous error that comes to mind now.

yeah but Djokovic started trying the drop shot once every 2 points towards the end of the third set. Nevertheless, the first 2 sets were truly amazing.

jonathancrane
11-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Masters Cup: Djokovic - Davydenko --> 0 votes
:confused:

With all the noise-euphoria-trollery of yesterday still 0 votes?

habibko
11-17-2008, 08:20 AM
yeah but Djokovic started trying the drop shot once every 2 points towards the end of the third set. Nevertheless, the first 2 sets were truly amazing.

that wasn't a tactical error, he was running out of gas after the long draining rallies the match involved, he couldn't outlast Nadal physically which is understandable.

FedFan_2007
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
By far the Wimbledon final for the importance of the match to tennis history. No other match this year came even close in terms of importance.

leng jai
11-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Fantastic poll choices :retard:

Commander Data
11-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Nice that you right way bias the poll with your opening comment (That Wimbledon Final was overrated..) :rolleyes:

It is really a no-brainer: Wimbledon Final. Maybe the best match nof all time is easily the best of 2008, especially with the history of the two players and fight for no. 1 behind it.

Halba
11-17-2008, 09:18 AM
murray nadal us open 08

murray federer masters cup

tsonga nadal ao

wimbledon final

french open final(For sheer destruction)

queens final, nadal in a thriller

wimbledon quarterfinal nadal destroys murray

hamburg semi

MariaV
11-17-2008, 09:18 AM

I am a Fed fan, as everybody knows. Still I vote for this particular match, because 1) its dramatic and historical value, 2) it showed how much Fed indeed has a FIGHTING SPIRIT, which seemed to have surprised quite a lot of so-called 'tennis fans' out there (:confused: :confused: :confused: - as if one gets to 13 GS titles from bloody nowhere!), and 3) it proved for once and for all, that Rafa indeed is a force on grass as much as he is on clay. :yeah:

Well said Karin. :yeah:

I wouldn't call it the best ever tennis match as some have done but from these poll choices clearly the best and most significant match.

Sunset of Age
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Well said Karin. :yeah:

I wouldn't call it the best ever tennis match as some have done but from these poll choices clearly the best and most significant match.

Thanks, Maria :hug:

It's always a tough decision on which match to choose - but I think that no objective tennis fan could possibly ignore this particular match, whatever way we look at it in hindsight. :)

Commander Data
11-17-2008, 09:31 AM

you are a clown, always bashing but never stand for something. It is really easy isn't it? .... C'mon, drop your trousers. Which is your favorite match, then? No opinion?

Take a hike, you chicken......

Stefanos13
11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
1. Nadal - Federer WIMBLEDON (possibly the best match ever)
2. Murray -Federer MASTERS CUP (great match, skilled players and entertaining)
2. Nadal - Djokovic HAMBURG MASTERS (so close)

Great thread, great poll choices

Xristos
11-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Wimbledon final hands down.

Xristos
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
you are a clown, always bashing but never stand for something. It is really easy isn't it? .... C'mon, drop your trousers. Which is your favorite match, then? No opinion?

Take a hike, you chicken......

Great post.

leng jai
11-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Great post.

This coming from captain zero worthwhile contribution besides taking the title of lamest thread(s) of all time.

jonathancrane
11-17-2008, 10:08 AM
To leng jai:

Please, name the best matches of the year in your opinion

Commander Data
11-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Great post.

Thanks. Some guys here are in the height of puberty.....everything is shit, nothing is right...man up, you chickens.

DartMarcus
11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Drama: AUS Open R1: King Hernadez def. Ivo Minar 1-6 7-6(5) 6-2 6-1
Quality: Bratislava CH R1 Joseph Siriani def. Chris Guccione 3-6 6-1 7-6(7)
Entertainment: any of Karlovic matches

superslam77
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
kolya roasting pig in miami followed by tsonganator at AO... things were looking bright ahead until the doom days of clay :help:

Igaarg
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
USO: Federer- Murray
USO: Djokovic-Cilic
AO: Kohlschreiber - Roddick
AO: Santoro-Federer
AO: Federer-Tipsarevic
W: Safin-Djokovic (It´s just nice to see Marat winning)
Basel Final: Nalbandian-Federer
Hamburg: Djokovic-Nadal
TMC: Murray-Federer

I don´t remember too many matches of others players, I have to think. Wimbly final is overrated, I found more exciting TMC Murray-Federer match, for example.

Nadal-Simon (Madrid) and Nadal-Davy (Miami): Awful.

Yves.
11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Wimbledon final, ofcourse.

But, what about Federer - Tipsarevic (AO)?????

Jimnik
11-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Wimby final and it's not even close.

That list really sums it up. It's been a year of one-sided matches at the 2nd weeks of slams and Davis Cup rubbers. Removal of 5-set finals from TMS events hasn't helped.

Iván
11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
what a match that federer and nadal at wimbledon

I really also enjoyed wawrinka vs cippola at the us open too.

angry match

the biscuit
11-17-2008, 03:26 PM
I really also enjoyed wawrinka vs cippola at the us open too.

angry match

It was the first time I didn't feel completely neutral about Wawrinka with the limping. It was awesome.

And I think Fed/Nadal was def the most memorable match of the year. Following that match was like being on a rollercoaster. I watched it with my family who don't give a rat's ass about tennis (except for my father) and even they didn't want to miss a minute of the match. I almost slapped my dad when Fed won the 4th set tie-break because I KNOW he cheered extra loudly to annoy the living shit out of me. It's bad, but I can't watch a Fed-Nadal match with a Fed fan in the room. :o

I'll never forget that match. :sad:

FedFan
11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Nadal/Federer at Wimbledon is probably the best match of the year, Nadal/Djokovic at Hamburg was also very entertaining.

And let's not forget Federer/Tipsarevic at AO.

Edomaster
11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
By far the Wimbledon final for the importance of the match to tennis history. No other match this year came even close in terms of importance.

Totally agree.

I remembered another two very good intensive matches..

- Djokovic vs Cilic, third round of US Open
- Federer vs Andreev, fourth round of Us Open

lisaplenske
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Tsonga-Nadal AO SF

the way tsonga played,simply outplayed nadal, never got such a severe scoreline in a slam.
And his face everytime jo playing amazing volleys in the net, no price for that:lol::hearts:

Tsonga/Nalbandian Bercy Finale was also great because of tsonga great fight throughout all the tournament.And with all the crowd support.Never easy to win in front of homecorwd especially for a french so jo:worship:

TMJordan
11-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Tsonga vs. Nadal at the AO.

I got to watch real tennis lessons. :D

So did Rafito. :hug:

cobalt60
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Wimbly final- so much at stake other than the title here. And I started respecting Rafa for having the ability to change his game. He deserved that win.

Iván
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
that backhand roger did to nadal to save mp in the 4th set of the wimbledon final was my fave momment of the year

Macbrother
11-17-2008, 06:04 PM
shrug.

As much as the match is decried by the supposed elites of this forum for me the Wimbledon final is easily the greatest of the year, no question. The history that was on the line (possible 6th consecutive Wimbledon for Federer, French-Wimbledon double for Nadal), the circumstances (rain delay, ending at night), the fact that it was a huge part of Nadal getting no. 1, etc. No, Federer didn't play his clinical best but I don't think that's the only requirement of being a 'great' match; there are too many other facets to consider.

Nadal's incredible forehand ripper up the line, answered by Federer's incredible bp on match point just epitomized the match for me. Neither McEnroe nor Borg played their absolute best during the entire '80 wimbledon final, but what do we remember? The big moments, the tiebreaker, etc, and I think that applies here. It's certainly the match I'm going to remember the most from '08.

rocketassist
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Why are Simon-Nadal and the TMC final on the list? :confused:

TMJordan
11-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Make me laugh, clown.

jonathancrane
11-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Simon-Nadal: It was the first time (since Nadal is a top player) that the opponent beat him using his game. As i said before it was boring as hell for me, but i'm trying to be objetive picking the matches of the list.

TMC final is also important. Djoko played amazingly well, going for winnerrs, constantly attacking since the first point. And proves that his great run at the beginning of the year was no fluke.

octatennis
11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
gimelstob vs kournikova... that match had it all...

no doubt wimbly final was the best match of the year.

Stawa
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
There are some really good matches mentioned, but nothing compares to the Wimbledon final. Legendary ... ^^

PiggyGotRoasted
11-17-2008, 08:08 PM
The best match isnt on there, and that is Federer - Tipsarevic from the AO

tangerine_dream
11-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Get rid of Djoker-Donkey TMC match and replace it with Hewitt-Baghdatis AO.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2dhzeh2.jpg

Pretty much the only match that truly mattered this year, in a historical context.

Yes, the No. 2 ranking was riding on this match and Djokovic made Nadal earn that win. Fantastic match.

wally1
11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
A few more good ones from Wimbledon that spring to mind:-

Schuettler v Clement 6-3 5-7 7-6 6-7 8-6
Ancic v Verdasco 3-6 4-6 6-3 6-4 13-11
Murray v Gasquet 5-7 3-6 7-6 6-2 6-4
Youzhny v Stepanek 7-5 6-7 6-4 6-7 6-3

Apart from the final, the Youzhny v Stepanek match was my favourite. Lots of beautiful tennis, and the sight of Stepanek smashing all his rackets at the end was classic!

RGK
11-18-2008, 01:26 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xzq7oOdW8
Best match net ive ever seen.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTCxepCPbA
what a BH Kolsi
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zOuB2DmnFcU
Kolya at his best. Miami final
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5B8tJxBNfcI&feature=related
one of the best drama in tennis history. Fed-Rafa W2008.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BSekMqotS0A
Andy back from 2-0 to 3-2 win against Richi.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FCHvcpdaA9o
the match on 2nd ranking in that time. Hamburg.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUISr9kvQg
1st tittle for Nadal on grass.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pm1Azmifvs
Fed against Tipsi in AO. just a fantasic match.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcQhU9WvdY
Hewitt-Baghdatis. again AO..same Fed-Tipsy
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5hG60nwhQv0
another win for Murray over Fed.
in TMC.

xlycet
11-18-2008, 04:36 AM
AOpen: Kohlschreiber - Roddick

Snoo Foo
11-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Ramirez-Hidalgo vs. Federer, somewhere in Europe, around springtime

HoistDaColors
11-18-2008, 05:53 AM
A few more good ones from Wimbledon that spring to mind:-

Schuettler v Clement 6-3 5-7 7-6 6-7 8-6
Ancic v Verdasco 3-6 4-6 6-3 6-4 13-11
Murray v Gasquet 5-7 3-6 7-6 6-2 6-4
Youzhny v Stepanek 7-5 6-7 6-4 6-7 6-3

Apart from the final, the Youzhny v Stepanek match was my favourite. Lots of beautiful tennis, and the sight of Stepanek smashing all his rackets at the end was classic!

I would add Ancic vs. Ferrer. S & V done right. No youtube video of the highlight, just the 4th set tiebreak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFMhOCloYLs

Yves.
11-18-2008, 06:14 AM
that backhand roger did to nadal to save mp in the 4th set of the wimbledon final was my fave momment of the year

Totally agree with that. Every time I talk with people about tennis, I always mention that unbelievable backhand from Federer.

I watched this match on a campingsite in The Netherlands in my caravan, and at the other side of the field my mom and a few friends were sitting there. And through the window they could see if Fed was playing well. Cause (I'm a Federerfan) when Federer hit a nice ball or something you could see that on my face.

I don't think anyone cares about this, but I just wanted to tell it. First this exciting match since Ivanisevic - Rafter Wimbledon 2001 final.

Tutu
11-18-2008, 02:36 PM
The Hamburg final.

I personally loooooooooooooooooooovvved the Nadal-Simon match but I can see why others wouldn't.

The Wimbly final is soo overrated. I know there was loads of drama, but really this match was down to Fed's pathetic play and the fact that they might as well have been playing on clay. Fed couldnt even keep his returns or backhand in play bar that cluch backhand. I was disgusted with his play.

tennizen
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I think the Olympic Semis match between Nadal and Djokovic should be on this list as well

finishingmove
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
The Hamburg final.

I personally loooooooooooooooooooovvved the Nadal-Simon match but I can see why others wouldn't.

The Wimbly final is soo overrated. I know there was loads of drama, but really this match was down to Fed's pathetic play and the fact that they might as well have been playing on clay. Fed couldnt even keep his returns or backhand in play bar that cluch backhand. I was disgusted with his play.

6-1 6-3 6-0. big difference imo

Venle
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Wimbledon final, no doubt.

Nadal - Djokovic in Hamburg was quite a match too

bjurra
11-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Entertainment: Federer vs. Santoro AO 2008 :worship:

Drama: Federer vs. Nadal Wimbly 2008 :sad:

Federer - Santoro was a pathetic match. Fabrice didnt even try.

Agree with the other two.

gjr
11-19-2008, 12:31 AM
The quality of some of the matches at this years AO was superb and for the first time I saw most of them live.

Kohlschreiber v Roddick - Sadly this one doesn't register much in my memory as I was quite drunk that night.

Nadal V Tsonga - The one I voted for because it was total destruction of Nadal in a way i never thought I would see.

Federer V Santoro - Fun match to watch. Really enjoyed it. I can't find a clip but Santoro after one point bounced the ball so high it almost cleared the roof. When it came down he stopped it dead on his racket as if he had bounced it 2 inches.

Federer V Tipsarevic - You just don't expect to see Fed in 5 set marathons unless he plays Nadal. So for me it was great to see a match like that.

Hewitt V Baghdatis - Didn't see this match but I had a ticket. I still haven't seen a single point of this match and have no idea of the quality but to start so late and to play for so long must have made it an interesting match. After the Fed - Tipsy match I was just so tired I couldn't handle another match. On my way out of Rod Laver to wimp off home, an Aussie guy asked me if I could have my ticket. I gave it to him and asked the person next to me the next night how long this bloke stayed. He stayed for the whole match so I felt happy I had given him my ticket.

Blondie1985
11-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Fed X Murray USO

duong
11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Wimbledon final of course (then Murray-Federer in Tennis Masters Cup, and Nadal-Djokovic in Hamburg).

Some great matches according to me, which haven't been quoted :

- Murray-Federer in Madrid

- Murray-Del Potro in US Open

- Nalbandian-Murray in Paris

(I have to precise that in all of these cases, my favorite was Murray's opponent)

- Murray-Nadal in US Open (this time I was for Murray since he was the challenger and the most attacking player ;) )

- Djokovic-Tsonga in Australia

- Nadal-Federer in Monte-Carlo