Is golf more popular than tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is golf more popular than tennis?

I_Love_Hot_Guys
07-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Personally, I think golf is for old people:). (still happy Mike won the Masters though:D)
But anyways, is it true that golf is the more popular sport since in Canada we have more golf coverage and we also have a golf channel but nothing for tennis.

Tennis Fool
07-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Among MTF posters? No ;)

for-sure
07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
I think there is more money in golf. Meaning that sponsors are willing to bring out the big bucks because they know they can target a certain demographic with it (rich white old guys with lots of money). This translates to lots of money in sponsorship, meaning more TV coverage.

Tennis has a more mixed demographic. Although it has been called an "elite" sport, in reality you have a mixed bag watching it; meaning demographic targeting is much harder for firms.

But great question! :)

Hingie
07-28-2004, 02:48 AM
I think there is more money in golf. Meaning that sponsors are willing to bring out the big bucks because they know they can target a certain demographic with it (rich white old guys with lots of money). This translates to lots of money in sponsorship, meaning more TV coverage.

Tennis has a more mixed demographic. Although it has been called an "elite" sport, in reality you have a mixed bag watching it; meaning demographic targeting is much harder for firms.

But great question! :)

And great answer! I completely agree.

Space Cowgirl
07-28-2004, 10:26 AM

You are right, there is definitely more prize money in golf. For example, in last week's Irish Open, the winner got something like 200,000 euro. And this isn't even a particularly large tournament on the European golf tour.
Re the demographics: it's true that tennis probably attracts the more 'casual' tv viewer than golf, but at actual participation level, I think it is nearly as elitist as golf. By this I mean the cost of joining a tennis club, lessons etc. In Germany at least, a lot of people are put off by the prices being charged, even though they are supposedly less than in tennis' heyday of Becker and Graf, when everyone wanted to play.

Lalitha
07-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Yes, it is. But I always wonder why? - Is Golf a difficult sport to play than anyother?

JuchuPati
07-28-2004, 11:11 AM
god, I think golf is absolutely boring, and true, for old people. maybe I'm wrong, cos I've never played it.who knows.
in Spain, golf isn't more popular than tennis, this one is the second sport here.

for-sure
07-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Yes, it is. But I always wonder why? - Is Golf a difficult sport to play than anyother?

While many people can get by playing tennis without lessons (at least at a very basic level) Golf is much harder to learn to enjoy on one's own without at least some basic instruction. I would think that tennis gets HARDER as you learn more.

Another fact is that it takes a lot more money to play golf (despite tennis also being an "elite" sport)

There are plenty of free public courts and very cheap clubs where I live; while in order to play golf you need to join a country club, or play for about $60US per day.

Another thing is the time investment part of it. People can always find 1.5-2 hours to play tennis...but golf requires much more time (Because, unlike in tennis, the ball does not come to you :p )

Therefore, the only people that can play are rich, white guys!

Dirk
07-28-2004, 01:46 PM
It gets higher ratings in the US so yes it is more popular here in the US. I have no clue elsewhere. Many different kinds of people play golf not just rich people, that is the same BS that was once said about tennis and still is to a degree.

Crazy_Fool
07-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Yep, in England. Apart from at Wimbeldon time, there isn't much 'general coverage' for a casual fan, whereas there is alot of stuff on golf if you just turn on the TV. I've never watched golf, yet I could name you alot of players. I'm not sure I could say the same if it was the other way round.

Nikki♥
07-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Golf sucks, itīs absolutely boring to watch and I donīt have a clue how people can actually like it.

TennisLurker
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Golf sucks, itīs absolutely boring to watch and I donīt have a clue how people can actually like it.

I agree

I_Love_Hot_Guys
07-31-2004, 06:31 PM
I know, and it's not like it's a sport anyways:rolleyes:.
Ever wonder why it's not in the Olympics...coz IT'S NOT A SPORT...:rolleyes:.
They walk from hole to hole, I wonder what kind of training they actually need :o
Unlike tennis players :worship: :worship:

MissPovaFan
07-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Im not that keen on golf but I can watch the majors I suppose :) But in small doses - basically I only watch it four times a year and the Ryder Cup.

Carito_90
07-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Definetely not here. Tennis is much more popular.

Certinfy
05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Yes. Golf is awesome, much more fun to play as well.

Lee
05-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I miss so many posters in this thread even there's less than 20 posts here. :awww:

Jaz
05-07-2011, 05:40 PM
yes

bokehlicious
05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
These days surely it is...

Kat_YYZ
05-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Sometimes when I've looked in the magazine racks for some tennis magazines, I might find one or two, while there are always 6 or 7 golf magazines on hand. I actually like watching golf on TV (though not as much as I like watching tennis -- or hockey, or basketball or a lot of other things), but can anything be more boring than to read about golf?

Roddickominator
05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Golf is a fun leisure activity, but a pretty lame sport. But yeah it's definitely more popular, because an American dominates the sport. If an American were dominating tennis then it would be huge for the sport's popularity.

tennisfan856
05-07-2011, 11:38 PM
You know what would be eerie? Being an active member of a forum for 10 years. I still remember when I was on dial-up, wow.