Andy going for the 2008 Masters Cup, Shanghai [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy going for the 2008 Masters Cup, Shanghai

Corey Feldman
11-02-2008, 01:36 AM
countdown ladies & gentlemen

Andy looking to finish this season with what was known as the World Championship - back when i started watching tennis

Come On Andy!!

cOm1goFR4bc

Getta
11-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Good luck, Andy.

Betty
11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
c'mon!!!!!

decrepitude
11-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Rafa's defection will mean Andy is promoted to seed#3. I don't know if that will make any difference or not - other than that he doesn't get a chance to play Nadal of course. I can't make up my mind which group I want him in - Djoker's, I think.

Getta
11-05-2008, 10:44 AM
http://www.masters-cup.com/1/results/groups.asp

ROUND ROBIN GROUPS

RED GROUP
Roger Federer
Andy Murray
Andy Roddick
Gilles Simon

GOLD GROUP
Novak Djokovic
Nikolay Davydenko
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Juan Martin del Potro

Getta
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7710316.stm

Page last updated at 10:27 GMT, Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Murray to face Federer at Masters

MASTERS CUP, Shanghai:
Dates: 9-16 November Starts: 0600 GMT daily Coverage: Live on Sky Sports; live text commentaries on BBC Sport website; coverage on Radio 5 Live

World number four Andy Murray has been drawn with Roger Federer, Andy Roddick and Gilles Simon in his maiden appearance at the Masters Cup.

The Scot has been drawn in the red group for the season-ending event in Shanghai and will come up against the world number two in Federer.

"To be among the top eight players in the world is a great feeling," he said.

Novak Djokovic, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Juan Martin Del Potro and Nikolay Davydenko make up the gold group.

In the absence of world number one Rafael Nadal, Federer is the highest ranked player competing in Shanghai.

Murray lost to Federer in the final of the US Open but recently beat him in the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters.

The 21-year-old also beat Frenchman Simon in the final of the Madrid tournament.

"It's my first time in Shanghai, but I have heard from all the other players that it is a fantastic tournament," said the British number one.

The top two from each group go through to a semi-final, with the winner of red playing the runner-up of gold and visa-versa, in the last four.

Murray takes his place in Shanghai after his most successful year on the ATP tour, with his appearance in the US Open final joining Masters titles in Madrid and Cincinnati on an increasingly impressive CV.

His entertaining and aggressive style has earned him a growing list of admirers with tennis legend Bjorn Borg the latest to offer words of praise.

"I said last year he is going to be a top player," Bjorg told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Everybody was a little sceptical when I said that. But look what Andy has been producing this year. He has improved his physical condition, his mental aspect."

"He is one of the top players and has been winning Masters series. He knows he can beat every single player in the world and he is just improving more and more."

Bjorg also tipped Murray to win a Grand Slam title next year, something that has not been done by a male British tennis player since Fred Perry in 1936.

"It's going to be a very interesting year for Andy and, in general, for British tennis," said Bjorg.

"I pick Federer, Nadal and Murray to win Grand Slam tournaments next year."

Betty
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
i saw it too:scared:

Wyna
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
That's going to be interesting.
Good luck Andy :bounce:

Corey Feldman
11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Andy's 1st match is on MON v Roddick (12 noon GBT), good

save Federer match for later, 3rd & i hope and both are through

Betty
11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
yes it's good:yeah:

Truc
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
He will probably play Fed as 2nd match since the winners on Monday will play each other on Wednesday.

Betty
11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
where is decrepitude? i read in bday thread..is yr day;)

happy bday:hug: have a good one ..and let hope andy will give u a nice..gift:angel:

Getta
11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
It doesn't fit Madeline's personality to "celebrate" her birthday.
I can figure out such people's patterns, as I hated to "celebrate" my birthday since I was a little girl.

Madeline, regardless of the day. :smooch:

Good luck to Andy in Shanghai. :rocker2:

Corey Feldman
11-08-2008, 12:36 AM
dont like celebrating it either Getta :kiss:;)
but happy bd anyway to a Murray fan :aparty:

Truc
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
It must be a Muzzatard thing then because I don't like it either. Still: bon anniversaire, Madeleine!

I'm wondering about the motivation of the other Andy for that event, he arrived only late yesterday - and since the guys have tons of media stuff to do on Saturday, he will hardly have time to practice at the tournament venue.

amdany
11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
good luck to Andy:rocker2:
and happy b-day Madeline:bdaycake:

decrepitude
11-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for the good wishes. Yes, at my age birthdays are something best forgotten! Extent of celebration - going out for lunch. . . well, at least I didn't have to make the meal.

the biscuit
11-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm annoyed I'll have to wake up at 7 for his match. :(

But I will, bc it's Andy. :D

Good luck to him!

Corey Feldman
11-08-2008, 07:02 PM
i have a dentist app at 12pm on Tuesday

right when Andy plays Roddick !!!! i think?

the biscuit
11-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh, I'm wrong.

Why do you guys put it in British time instead of local?

It'll be 11 AM for me. Perfect. :D

Corey Feldman
11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
coz dont know the local time, i'd need to use my mobile phone world clock and then calculate - neither strong points of mine :lol:

the biscuit
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Asia is 5 hours ahead of the rest of Europe atm. With Great-Britain & co it's 6.

There.

Now you can put it in local the next time. :D

decrepitude
11-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Shanghai is actually 7 hours ahead of Europe and 8 hours ahead of UK. So Andy's match, at 8pm Shanhai, will be at noon in the UK, 1pm in Europe. Sorry, I'm not going to attempt to cover all the American time zones!

This is the site I use http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

I'd hate anybody to miss the match through getting the time wrong.

Edit - and I got the Europe time wrong, I didn't look it up just adjusted by 1 hour - the wrong way! Now corrected.

Oksan4ik
11-08-2008, 11:49 PM
good luck Andy :hug:

the biscuit
11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
My site is a liar. :( I shall bookmark the one you use.

Thanks. :worship:

I'd hate anybody to miss the match through getting the time wrong.

Thought the same thing.

amdany
11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
I'll be at work tomorrow and I don't have internet access there:mad:, cheer him loud for me guys;)

Betty
11-09-2008, 11:49 AM
so at the end ..andy plays at??????????:o

decrepitude
11-09-2008, 12:27 PM
so at the end ..andy plays at??????????:o

"not before" 8pm Shanghai time. Which is noon UK, 1pm Central European.

Oksan4ik
11-09-2008, 02:09 PM
damn..i will be at school at that time...:o :awww:

Betty
11-09-2008, 02:11 PM
thk i back from work at 1..:banana: plus francy usualy takes his nap around 1.30:yea!!!!

Lacey
11-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Good luck Andy :) and hi fellow Andy fans :wavey:

Betty
11-10-2008, 12:29 PM
hi

goooo andyyyyyyyyyyyy

Betty
11-10-2008, 12:54 PM
naaaaaaaa :scared: match
with this look andy is so:hearts::inlove::o

Betty
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
good...first is gone:yeah:

decrepitude
11-10-2008, 02:59 PM
http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Wow, that second set had me worried, Andy looked really tired. Kept hitting the top of the net (and it always fell the wrong way) and couldn't hit a first serve for love or money.

Apparently he said in an interview that he is still suffering from jetlag, the late match fell at the time he has been going to bed the other days!

Have a good sleep before Wednesday, Andy.

the biscuit
11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm so pleased.

Now I want him to get rid of Simon, please (though I really don't mind the guy tbh).

amdany
11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
:banana::banana::banana:

Wyna
11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't watch but I am glad to come home and see that Andy won :banana:
Good luck for the next one!

amdany
11-12-2008, 05:33 PM
:woohoo::woohoo:semiiiiiiiiis

Betty
11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
yessssssssssss :banana: :banana:

Corey Feldman
11-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Semi!

neenah
11-12-2008, 09:36 PM
:D

I'm so happy!

NinaNina19
11-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah Andy go.

Oksan4ik
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
great work Andy :worship:

Rafalover15
11-13-2008, 08:05 PM
keep it going boy

Corey Feldman
11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
just dont waste energy uneccesarily tomorrow

the biscuit
11-14-2008, 06:53 AM
Let's hope he won't pull a Djokovic today and be an asshat bc he's in the semis already. I want him to win 2-0!

Truc
11-14-2008, 08:42 AM
It's not being an asshat, it's being smart. And Andy is smart.
If Fed is shaky and Andy can win easily, good for him, of course he will take it.
Otherwise I don't see why he would fight like crazy a few hours before his semi-final just to kick Fed out of the tournament and avoid him in a possible final. That's not worth it - if Andy is tired on Saturday then, he might lose and have done all this for nothing.

Really, I don't see any other reason for him to fight hard today. Imo Andy won't care about ranking points, money, h2h, facing Kolya or Nole in the semi...

Wyna
11-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Andy remains unbeaten and beats Federer again :woohoo:
I just hope that he's still fresh enough for the next two matches because that one was really long...

amdany
11-14-2008, 06:07 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::yippee:
I hope he still has some energy though...

Betty
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
congrats andy..u could not play so hard:obtw take yr concentration for tomorrow.goooooooooooooooo

neenah
11-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Bittersweet win for me. :awww:

Now Muzza must win the whole thing. :rocker2:

decrepitude
11-14-2008, 08:12 PM
I hope he does, but if he doesn't I won't be too disappointed. By reaching the semis he has justified his seeding.

Darn sight better TMC debut than Djokovic last year!

amdany
11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
OMG he looks sooo tired already and it's just the beginning of the match:hug::hug:

Truc
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes, I'm still wondering why he did that yesterday, even though I'm really thankful as a Simon fan - I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
You never know with Kolya, we know his choking abilities, it's not over yet. But that was definitely not smart from Andy.

Betty
11-15-2008, 02:21 PM
no words!
did he need to play so hard yesterday for lose so "easy" today:(:sad:

btw he should work a bit on his athletic profile:awww:

krystlel
11-15-2008, 02:23 PM
It's not being an asshat, it's being smart. And Andy is smart.
If Fed is shaky and Andy can win easily, good for him, of course he will take it.
Otherwise I don't see why he would fight like crazy a few hours before his semi-final just to kick Fed out of the tournament and avoid him in a possible final. That's not worth it - if Andy is tired on Saturday then, he might lose and have done all this for nothing.

Really, I don't see any other reason for him to fight hard today. Imo Andy won't care about ranking points, money, h2h, facing Kolya or Nole in the semi...
I didn't think it was a good idea either, but I thought that the commentators made a good point that he wanted to get a mental advantage and confidence over Federer the next time they meet, if that were to be a big match like deep in a Grand Slam.

Stawa
11-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Ouh no :sad::sad:
He looked very tired during the whole match. I don't know if it was a mistake to play like that against Federer, but nobody knows ... He deserved to win the tournament.
Now I'm looking forward to his '09 season :)

decrepitude
11-15-2008, 02:43 PM
A huge shame, but he just had no gas left in the tank. The match would have been a difficult one even if both were on equal terms, but Kolya had a full day's rest after a last round robin match against aguably the easiest opponent in his group. Andy had barely 24 hours (less if you count in those interminable press conferences, he didn't get back to his hotel until 2am) to recover from a long and difficult match.

And Djokovic looked just as exhausted in his match without that excuse.

Should Andy have tanked yesterday, like Djoker did against Tsonga? Depends on your point of view. Personally I am glad to support a player that gives all he has, regardless. I have my name down for tickets at the O2 next year and I sincerely hope I don't have to watch a match where somebody tanks.

Better luck next time, Andy. One of these days you are going to play an important match where the scheduling has been in YOUR favour for a change - then we will see what is what!

Getta
11-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes, I'm still wondering why he did that yesterday, even though I'm really thankful as a Simon fan - I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
You never know with Kolya, we know his choking abilities, it's not over yet. But that was definitely not smart from Andy.

I didn't think it was a good idea either, but I thought that the commentators made a good point that he wanted to get a mental advantage and confidence over Federer the next time they meet, if that were to be a big match like deep in a Grand Slam.

I have to disagree.

Andy knew very well that his great effort in the match against Roger would put his SF in jeopardy. He had to prioritise and prioritised himself the right way. A Grand Slam around the corner can be seen approaching, Andy and Roger are the two main contenders, all the rest (Djokovic included) are far behind... Well, Andy proved that he has the ability to see the forest for the trees.

I'm once more pleasantly surprised. :)

From yesterday's Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/murray-digs-deep-to-send-federer-out-1019495.html):

"Psychologically a win like that is going to be huge for me next time I play him, especially in big matches. Although I'm probably going to be a bit tired tomorrow, a win against him in a match like that is similar to winning the Masters Cup. He's one of the greatest players of all time."

Andy is a smart guy. ;)

Truc
11-15-2008, 03:07 PM
I have my name down for tickets at the O2 next year and I sincerely hope I don't have to watch a match where somebody tanks.Well, if I buy tickets for the last day of the RR stage, I know that I might see a couple of tank jobs (hence I won't buy tickets for that day!). It really depends on your point of view indeed.
For me the RR system sucks and ends up with tank jobs, that's not the problem of the players, but of the tournament organization. I can't blame the guys for not giving their best effort once they have qualified because they are there to win the whole thing imo.

(Nole's tanking clearly was too much, all the more since it was 2 days before his next match and he really couldn't have looked more disinterested, that was a joke. But Andy's incredible effort yesterday was crazy imo. They both were too extreme.)

neenah
11-15-2008, 03:09 PM
:awww:

Truc
11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't think it would have been a problem for his h2h with Fed either because if he knew that he wasn't giving his very best effort and Fed also knew it, it wouldn't really count in their mind imo, Fed would still be very aware that he just won a "dead rubber" for Andy and that Andy still is one of the most dangerous players for him in "real" matches.

Anyway, it's too late, and I know Andy got the respect of most people for what he did yesterday, the media are very, very laudatory about him today, not only in England, so it was the right thing to do in a way.

the biscuit
11-15-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm disappointed but at the same time, he had a good run. :shrug: I think it was partially out of fatigue that he lost with these numbers today but idk, I felt he was just outplayed too. An off-day I guess.

Now he can just concentrate on 2009 and the #2/3 spot.

Getta
11-15-2008, 07:00 PM
^^ Do you imply that you wished he would have intentionally tanked his match against Roger? :o

Well unlike other players, Andy has cojones. :worship:

Betty
11-15-2008, 07:17 PM
getta well maybe he has cojones but no tactical brain:o

Getta
11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
getta well maybe he has cojones but no tactical brain:o

Truth is that I prefer macho men to male bimbos. :D

Hopefully I will wake up one day and start seeing clearly. :crazy:

Betty
11-15-2008, 08:14 PM
why who has brain is a bimbos? i0m missing:lol:

with the MC roles he should think abt it ..specialy when the score was the one mike's wrote
plus it seems he has some problem to recover quickly
i think he played like he did with fed only for show his cojones to rogi..btw he is young can learn..plus it's his life he can do what he want..only me,as his fan, i'm disappont..pround for what he did in the last weeks and also for beat fed like he did but..in that momment he didnt need it

dont tell me abt no tactical/fool players i like marat :sad:

Murraylicious
08-03-2009, 12:12 AM
I was crying after SF :(