Weather [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Weather

Balaenopteramusculus
09-02-2002, 02:53 PM
What is the weather in NY now?Is it raining?

Balaenopteramusculus
09-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Yep it's raining

Layla
09-02-2002, 03:00 PM
:rolleyes:

Doris Loeffel
09-02-2002, 03:20 PM
:(

Lily
09-02-2002, 03:42 PM
well this is fitting. it hasnt rained here all summer. of course it should start now.

Layla
09-02-2002, 03:57 PM
Grrrrr. The commentator said it's raining cats and dogs right now, but it is supposed to brighten up later. Fingers crossed.

Ingridy
09-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Has the rain stopped?

Layla
09-02-2002, 04:10 PM
No. :sad:

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 04:12 PM
People, people, people. Always be ready with a link ;)

Weather Forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USNY1000?x=0&whatprefs=&y=0)

It looks like the rain is about to stop, and there's nothing coming after it.

Layla
09-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Well, it's still raining just as hard, if not more. :mad: I just saw a live feed from one of the courts. it looks truly gloomy.

Chloe le Bopper
09-02-2002, 06:03 PM
*shakes head in frusteration*

At this rate Juan Carlos won't even play today :sad: Why the heck does he have to follow a doubles match :rolleyes: He should be on first..

Dissident
09-02-2002, 06:38 PM
Juan Carlos probably was there in Flushing Meadows untill late at night waiting for the organizers to take some decision that they couldnt play at all after the rain came back. Therefor, it would be terrible for him if he had to play the first match. As it keeps on raining, though, its not even important anymore. If it keeps on like this, they will probably put loads of singles matches at the same time, in even more courts all over. Its the only way to get out of the trap they created for themselves.
Thats the ONE good point of the rain: seeing the a**holes realize they have to think better next time.

Lily
09-02-2002, 06:52 PM
they're saying all this rain is gonna be tougher on the older guys. :D

Wojtek
09-02-2002, 06:54 PM
Still raining very heavly now !!!

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 07:12 PM
Okay, sorry for leading everyone on, this is truly the slowest fucking rainstorm I've seen in . . . well, ever.

hitman, you are truly after my heart :kiss: I agree with everything you said and thensome.

dbc
09-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Think those that were playing later left at 5 pm yesterday once they knew the rain was continuing.
But this is getting ridiculous - almost worse than Wimbledon. It's going to take a hell of a lot of catching up & the rest days will sson dissapear altogether.
It's almost 5 hours since play should have started & they were hoping for clearer weather later in the afternoon, but so far no go.
Am I pleased i'm not there & haven't paid money for a seat - it would be just so frustrating

Dissident
09-02-2002, 07:47 PM
They changed the schedule again. The unfinished matches go first now, as I said before.
The people on tv said that they were expecting the rain to finish just after 7pm New York time. Thats in about an hour.
For the weather forecast, I would risk saying they wont start playing before 8, 9 pm.
Another day totally screwed. Now Im really looking forward to see what the "genious" will work out for the schedule.

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 07:49 PM
hitman, I just read that the rain was supposed to stop at 4 pm NY time, which is now.

revised schedule posted in the Second Monday thread.

renatoal
09-02-2002, 08:18 PM
I think the rain stopped in NY ... =)) ... this moment :rolleyes:

here a live cam from NY, but i don't know if Time Square is close to Flushing .... I don't know the USA ...

www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.html

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Times Square is in Manhattan, Flushing Meadows is near Queens. They are pretty close. :)

renatoal
09-02-2002, 08:33 PM
But the rain is back ..... :fiery: :fiery::fiery::fiery:

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Oh, this sounds promising:

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...FLOOD STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 330 PM EDT MON SEP 2 2002

...A CONTINUATION OF URBAN AND POOR DRAINAGE FLOODING IS EXPECTED IN QUEENS AND PORTIONS OF NASSAU COUNTIES...

DOPPLER RADAR INDICATES A BAND OF HEAVIER RAIN MOVING ACROSS THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE LONG ISLAND SOUND AND INTO QUEENS AND NORTHERN NASSAU COUNTIES. THESE COUNTIES HAVE ALREADY RECEIVED PLENTY OF RAIN. SO...ANY WATER ON ROADS AND LOW LYING AREAS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRAIN.

INCONVENIENCES CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION IF THE FLOODING THREAT INCREASES OR A WARNING IS ISSUED.

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 08:36 PM
Both of these flood warnings are until 5:15 pm EST (another half an hour)

Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY 234 PM EDT MON SEP 2 2002

...HEAVY RAINS CAUSING SIGNIFICANT PONDING ON MANY ROADS...

THE RECENT RAIN...WHICH HAS BEEN HEAVY IN MANY PARTS OF THE NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA...LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...HAS CAUSED DELAYS ON MANY OF THE LOCAL ROADWAYS. RAINFALL TOTALS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES IN MANY SPOTS HAS COME IN JUST THE PAST 12 TO 16 HOURS. THE RAIN HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO SINK INTO THE GROUND...BUT RUN OFF AND HAS CAUSED SIGNIFICANT PONDING ON MANY WELL TRAVELED HIGHWAYS.

MOTORISTS WHO HAVE TRAVEL PLANS THROUGH THE EVENING SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF SIGNIFICANT DELAYS. BANDS OF RAIN...SOME HEAVY...WILL CONTINUE TO LIE ACROSS THE AREA THROUGH THE LATE AFTERNOON. AN ADDITIONAL ONE HALF TO THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH OF RAIN IS POSSIBLE IN SOME SPOTS BY LATE AFTERNOON. THE RESULT WILL BE A CONTINUATION OF MINOR FLOODING AND SIGNIFICANT PONDING THROUGH THE DAYLIGHT HOURS.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND OTHER LOCAL MEDIA FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

Layla
09-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info TH! This sounds really bad. :eek:

TennisHack
09-02-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Layla
Thanks for the info TH! This sounds really bad. :eek:

I think it sounds worse than it actually will be. Note the time stamps on both of those issuances: the first is 3:30 pm, the second 2:34 pm. So that "band of heavy showers" has already moved through--in fact, the tail end is what we're seeing now.

I guess New York City doesn't get dumped on too much, but I do know that if it hasn't rained there all summer (as Lily said), the rain won't absorb into the ground because it's too dry, so it will flood. But not disasterously :)

But I suppose it pays sometimes to have an interest in meteorology :)

Lily
09-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the weather updates, TH! :)

watching the williams/spirlea match. very entertaining.

*bump*

Balaenopteramusculus
09-02-2002, 09:33 PM
It stopped raining!!!!!!!!!

renatoal
09-02-2002, 09:38 PM
Net cam is on air ... the rain stopped and Arthur Ashe almost ready for begin the matches ... :)

Balaenopteramusculus
09-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Oops I think I was wrong .Eurosport has just showed courts and it is still raining

Layla
09-02-2002, 10:01 PM
I saw that too. Maybe it wasn't live?