Stan's Blog from Basel [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Stan's Blog from Basel

Eden
10-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Stan is writing the ATP Player's Blog from Basel this week.

This is the first entry:

Sunday, October 19, 2008

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/2008/stanblog1.jpg
© Getty Images

It's not often I get to drive to a tournament, but on Saturday I drove myself and my coach from my home town just 15 minutes north of Lausanne to Basel for the Davidoff Swiss Indoors. I love cars, but I can tell you that I was careful not to go above the speed limit on this trip. I'm not proud to admit it, but recently I lost my licence for a month for driving a little fast. But I have learnt my lesson and we took it easy on the trip. Besides, there are lots of speed cameras so you will almost certainly be caught if you drive too fast.

Of course now that I'm at the tournament I get to use the great Mercedes-Benz transportation service (see picture).

It was a very quick turnaround for me at home this time. I got back from Madrid on Friday morning and then headed out to Basel on Saturday. It was just enough time to go to the physio to do some massage and then spend the afternoon and night at home. My girlfriend and I just watched some TV and ate dinner at home. I did have a couple of weeks at home between the Vienna tournament and Davis Cup. I really enjoy Lausanne and one of my favorite things to do is go to a restaurant overlooking Lake Léman on a sunny day. Also known as Lake Geneva, it is the second largest freshwater lake in Central Europe

The last time I was in Basel was for a reception after winning the doubles gold medal with Roger. I don't have the medal with me this time! It seems that everyone in Switzerland has had a chance to touch the medal so these days I prefer to keep it in a safe.

Besides, I need to focus on what's ahead of me this week. I'm still in contention for Tennis Masters Cup, and I have a chance here in Basel to pick up some ATP Race points if I do well because my 'best fifth' result is only a three-pointer. That means I only have to earn more than three points to start adding to my total. Another player who has 15 points as his 'best fifth' result from this year needs to earn 15 points this week to add to his total.

I play not before 6.15 p.m. Monday against Benny Becker, who won through qualifying. I will make another post after my match.

Thanks for reading, Stan

p.s. check out my official web site: stanwawrinka.com

Source: http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/wawrinka2008.asp

Venle
10-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Very nice to see a fav player blogging (I was excited during the AO ;) )

Didn't know Stan had lost his license :rolls: Bad boy :(

Ooh, that Lake Geneva looks so beautiful :hearts:

Eden
10-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Too bad that the blog only included 2 entries :sad:

Here's Stan's message from Monday:

Monday, October 20, 2008

http://www.atptennis.com/5/photos/2008/stanblog2.jpg
© Getty Images

Well, losses don't come much tougher than this one. I served for the match in the second set, held two match points in the third and couldn't get the job done against Benjamin Becker today. He beat me in a third-set tie-break. And all of this happened before a home crowd.

But it's important to stay positive. I've still had a great year and I have one more chance to qualify for Tennis Masters Cup when I compete in Paris next week. I'll need a big result to make it, but there will be three spots up for grabs so it's a possibility.

After tonight's match it was great to receive a nice text message from my good friend, who watched the match. Good friends like that support you whether you win or lose and stand by you in the good times and the bad.

So I'm about to make the two-hour drive home. It will probably be 1 or 2 in the morning by the time I get there. Hopefully I'll get four or five days at home before heading to Paris.

Sorry the blog has been cut short. Let's hope for a better result in Paris.

Stan

Keep an eye on my official web site: stanwawrinka.com

Source: http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/blog/wawrinka2008.asp

Arkulari
10-22-2008, 08:41 AM
After tonight's match it was great to receive a nice text message from my good friend, who watched the match. Good friends like that support you whether you win or lose and stand by you in the good times and the bad.

could that have been Roger? ;)