TMS Canard, eh?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

TMS Canard, eh??

Pages : [1] 2

Deboogle!.
07-24-2004, 08:13 PM
get it? ;)

This is the TMS Canada thread....

Andy's got a tough draw. Not bad first couple rounds but after that Henman and Fish are both in his quarter :|

Havok
07-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Fish isn't tough :nerner: His draw isn't too bad, but its a TMS it's packed anywhere you look. Yay a full week of awesome live tennis for me, this is about the only time I love my TSN tennis coverage :ras:.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Fish is douchebag! I worry about Henman though

superpinkone37
07-24-2004, 08:55 PM
does anybody know where i can find a schedule for when they will be showing coverage? im gonna go look for that now, but if someone already knows, it could save me a few minutes

Deboogle!.
07-24-2004, 08:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tvlistings/scheduleWeek?sport=TN :)

superpinkone37
07-24-2004, 08:58 PM
thanks!!!

Jennay
07-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Go Andy! :banana:

Mardy? :haha: In his form now??

Andy will whip out the guns :armed: and shoot that Fish out of the water :smoke: If Mardy even gets to the Quarters :rolleyes: Which he won't :p

Deboogle!.
07-24-2004, 09:13 PM
:worship: Naldo for the best title ever.

Havok
07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
*takes credit for the new thread title* Allez le french.:) Just in case you people don't know, canard=duck in french:)

Jennay
07-24-2004, 09:14 PM
:worship: Naldo :haha:

You are THE man :yeah:

zoltan83
07-24-2004, 10:01 PM
*takes credit for the new thread title* Allez le french.:) Just in case you people don't know, canard=duck in french:)

:haha: nice title

Allez Andy!

snaillyyy
07-24-2004, 10:22 PM

:worship: Great title :bowdown:

andyroxmysox12191
07-24-2004, 10:24 PM
nice nAldo :worship: :rolls:

PinkFeatherBoa
07-24-2004, 10:52 PM
:worship: Great title Naldo.;)

Good luck Andy!:smoke:

superpinkone37
07-24-2004, 10:56 PM
i can always count on the most creative titles from you guys

RoddickBabe10
07-25-2004, 02:02 AM
:haha: Love the title! :haha:

Deboogle!.
07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Well Andy drew Benneteau... don't know a THING About him except that he had some great wins at Miami.... :o :awww:

Jennay
07-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Thats pretty much all there is to know about him Deb. Him and Andy haven't played yet, but I'm sure he can take him out easily :)

Impressive Miami tournament:

R128 Morrison, Jeff 6-3 2-6 7-5
R64 Fish, Mardy 6-4 6-4
R32 Ljubicic, Ivan 7-6(3) 6-1 (So, maybe he is a good returner?)
R16 Coria, Guillermo 6-7(3) 6-2 5-7

Deboogle!.
07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
I meant about his GAME Jen :p :p :rolleyes: lol

J. Corwin
07-25-2004, 10:55 PM
If Andy plays well he shouldn't have any trouble until maybe possibly farmer Tim in the quarters.

*JUST printed out draw sheet for this tournie* WEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

lol @ the title, I was wondering why the canard. ;):)

Yonge
07-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Benneteau has the same weapons as Andy, although in a less 'fatal' level.
Huge serve, great forehand, that's about it for Benneteau.

Maybe he and Andy could have played in Miami if he didn't choke against Coria in the Quarters. He served for that match at least 4 times!

Deboogle!.
07-25-2004, 11:05 PM
thanks Yonge :) Hopefully Brad did his research, maybe Andre told him about him since he just beat him. :p

Jennay
07-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I meant about his GAME Jen :p :p :rolleyes: lol
Duh :p I was imforming about HIM. :wavey:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-26-2004, 12:07 AM
I think this will be a fun match to watch because Benneteau can be a bit goofy. I luuuuurrrvvveee hiiim

Benneteau has the same weapons as Andy, although in a less 'fatal' level.
Huge serve, great forehand, that's about it for Benneteau.

Maybe he and Andy could have played in Miami if he didn't choke against Coria in the Quarters. He served for that match at least 4 times!

tangerine_dream
07-26-2004, 03:52 AM

Naldo strikes again :haha:

star
07-26-2004, 01:17 PM
get it? ;)

This is the TMS Canada thread....

Andy's got a tough draw. Not bad first couple rounds but after that Henman and Fish are both in his quarter :|

:yeah: Very clever!!

Deboogle!.
07-26-2004, 01:29 PM
I only take credit for the "eh?" - Naldo gets FULL credit for the truly creative part :worship:

star
07-26-2004, 01:34 PM
I didn't read down far enough. :(

I just saw the first post and thought. GREAT!! :)

Fumus
07-26-2004, 02:12 PM
great thread title! I was thinking about the Ugly duckling turns into a swan in Montreal...or sumtin..but, yours is better Naldo!

I think the question on everyone mind about TMS Canada is will.....

...Andy wear the new shirt? :p

Fumus
07-26-2004, 02:14 PM
or um..will he get rid of those pumps(ugly sneakers)? lol

star
07-26-2004, 02:59 PM
great thread title! I was thinking about the Ugly duckling turns into a swan in Montreal...or sumtin..but, yours is better Naldo!

I think the question on everyone mind about TMS Canada is will.....

...Andy wear the new shirt? :p

Not if my prayers are answered. :angel:

andyroxmysox12191
07-26-2004, 03:01 PM
new shirt better come out :devil:

Fumus
07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Not if my prayers are answered. :angel:

Well if your prayers are, that Andy not wear the shirt and win in Canada, I support that!! lol

You hear me tennis gods!! No crazy shirt equels a win in Canada!!!! :devil:

tangerine_dream
07-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Shaping up for the 'American swing'
By Piers Newbery

With Wimbledon a distant memory and even the clay courts pushed aside for a while, men's tennis begins the 'hard-court swing' in earnest at the Toronto Masters.

We look at who is in confident mood and who needs to find their form with the Olympics and the US Open looming.

ANDY RODDICK
The American may have missed out to Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final but he took confidence from giving the number one a fright.

Back on home soil and his favourite hard courts he is an even more daunting opponent, as he proved last year with two Masters Series titles and the US Open.

There were suggestions that he might try and add some variety to his game but, if anything, Roddick is hitting the ball harder and flatter than ever.

Easily pumped up by the American crowd, he is still the man to beat over the next six weeks.

ROGER FEDERER
Federer embarks upon the next stage of world domination as he looks to improve his record in North America.

With Wimbledon and the Australian Open already conquered and numerous clay-court titles to his name, the Swiss star still has something to prove in the US.

He has yet to get past the fourth round at the US Open and has only one tournament win to his name on the other side of the Atlantic, at Indian Wells this year.

The problem has largely been one of strategy, with Federer sometimes guilty of getting drawn unnecessarily into long rallies, but at his best he remains a class above.

ANDRE AGASSI
His record is formidable and, like Roddick, Agassi is at his best on the hard courts of his home country, but the 34-year-old is finally struggling to keep pace with the younger competition.

A hip injury has seen him sidelined for much of the time in recent months and understandably he has been well below par on his few appearances on court.

Even so, the Las Vegan insists that he has made no decision about when to quit the game and has made positive noises about carrying on next year.

It is too early to call Agassi a spent force and, like Pete Sampras two years ago, he may find the necessary inspiration for one more Grand Slam charge at Flushing Meadows next month, but he needs to get some wins quickly.

LLEYTON HEWITT
He denies losing focus last year despite his slump in the rankings but there is no doubt that Hewitt has got his hunger back in 2004.

His game and personality are perfectly suited to the hard courts of North America and he is the natural heir to Jimmy Connors.

That fighting spirit is central to Hewitt's game as he does not possess any single weapon, in terms of a big serve or forehand, to hurt opponents.

A good effort at the French Open was followed by defeat to Federer at Wimbledon and, as he has chosen to miss the Olympics, the Australian looks focused on Flushing Meadows.

ONES TO WATCH
Tim Henman: A contender with his attacking game but needs to dominate more on serve.

Marat Safin: Slowly returning to form after injury and a hugely powerful threat on hard courts.

Juan Carlos Ferrero: Has been the best of the clay-courters on hard courts but struggling for fitness.

Guillermo Coria: The Argentine is the current clay king but can be out-hit on faster surfaces.

David Nalbandian: Another who has struggled with injuries but has shown he can beat the best on hard courts.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/tennis/3923993.stm

Fumus
07-26-2004, 03:41 PM
An American swing in Canada? lol

Deboogle!.
07-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Here's an Andy update from AR.com :)
----

Conditions Favorable in Toronto-LIVE UPDATE!
by: Sarah Alvanipour

TORONTO -- 7/26/2004 --

With a spectacular win yesterday in Indianapolis, Andy has arrived in Toronto, Canada, to defend his TMS Canada title, attempting to make it three for three title defenses thus far this year.

It is a grueling summer on the ATP circuit, and even tougher on Andy, who has several titles and many more points to defend. He is also slated to compete in the Olympics in Athens later in August.

With such a demanding schedule, it is often both a physical as well as mental battle for players. To counter the former, Andy decided to take some twelve days off to recuperate at his lake-side home in Austin, Texas, following his Wimbledon final appearance.

It was a shaky start in Indianapolis, however, with a tough three-set win over Swiss Michel Kratochvil in the opening round and then another uphill battle against Ivan Ljubicic in the semifinals, falling victim to the Croats lethal serve 6-1 before sending the following two sets into tiebreakers.

Andy faced three match points in the second set breaker, before winning the set and sending the match to a decisive third set tiebreaker.

Showing shades of his remarkable TMS win over Mardy Fish last year in Cincinnati, where he also saved match points before winning, Andy sent Ljubicic packing with a tight 1-6, 7-6 (10), 7-6 (3) victory.

All of this while battling--the 'B' word in tennis--yes, blisters.

The calluses on Andy's hand had worn away during his break, causing the stress of long matches to wear away the skin and cause painful blisters on Andy's right hand. Not to worry since trainer Doug Spreen was on hand--no pun intended--to treat the unsightly sores and put the wraps on their trouble.

As Doug explains, the blisters are first dried out by using a drying cream and then the body is allowed to heal itself. 'The human body is a remarkable thing,' Doug says and therefore allows the body to take its natural course to heal.

As I write this update, Bill Norris, the famed ATP Tour trainer, is treating hometown favorite Simon Larose for blisters on Stadium Court.

The good news is that Andy's hands have healed. Treatment and decreased wear and tear on the site have helped. Andy was hitting a great deal of one-handed slice backhands earlier in the week in Indy, hoping to apply less friction to the blisters and allow them to heal.

His straight sets win over Nicolas Kiefer yesterday may have also done the trick.

With title number four under his belt, Andy has made the short journey north of the border yesterday to yes--defend yet another title.

Conditions in Toronto, which include fair skies and cool temperatures, should keep him in good stead.

Andy is scheduled for a practice session later this afternoon at the new Rexall Center, and AR.com will be there to bring you a full report.

So stay tuned!!!

Deboogle!.
07-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Well according to Levin, they're showing Andy's press conference on TV... any Canucks wanna fill us in :cool:

superpinkone37
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
ya mean theyll be showing is on espn/espn2 (whichever theyre showing tennis on tonight)

Deboogle!.
07-26-2004, 08:14 PM
No, on the Canada stations

superpinkone37
07-26-2004, 08:19 PM
oooo i guess i should probably read whole posts before i get excited :p
lol, im looking forward to the agassi/haas match tonight. i assume theyre gonna show it cuz they always show whatever american is playing ( which sucks, except for when andy plays, or someone else i wanna see)

Havok
07-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Nothing of importance. ALl old crap questions like his rivalry vs Federer, if he wants to get the #1 back (says he doesn't care, he wants to become a better player he isn't dialed into the points and stuff) and the olympics, and blah.

superpinkone37
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
ok, im glad i didnt miss anything too special

Deboogle!.
07-26-2004, 10:05 PM
so Andy's match is at 1pm tomorrow (well, not before 1pm, Hewitt/Nadal is right before it at 11). ESPN's on at 1pm so we should get Andy's match live :cool:

Fumus
07-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Live...omg you mean they aren't going to like tape delay it 5 minutes...like NBC did..lol...wtf was that!?! Not only do they tape delay it but, they(nbc) don't even given the advantage of fast forwarding the tape durning the rainbreak, instead they make us sit through it....

Here's to live coverage!:rocker:

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
:cool:

But :sobbing: :crying2: at the Clover Hat:haha:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-07-27T001355Z_01_YRK13D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

superpinkone37
07-27-2004, 12:59 AM
omg that pic is like the cutest/dorkiest thing i have ever seen, all at the same time LOL. i love that pic now!!! btw i just saw, while i was watching the agassi/haas match (on tape delay of course, stupid espn) that they said they will have live coverage of andy's match tomorrow. i think agassi can pull this one off tonight!!

star
07-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Nothing of importance. ALl old crap questions like his rivalry vs Federer, if he wants to get the #1 back (says he doesn't care, he wants to become a better player he isn't dialed into the points and stuff) and the olympics, and blah.

It would be wise of him not to be dialed into points. :)

tangerine_dream
07-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Aw, that's a great picture of Andy, leave him alone. :p I like the clover hat. I want to see his clover underpants next. :angel:

superpinkone37
07-27-2004, 01:05 AM
lol me too!!! i agree its a great picture. he like dorky and cute at the same time, which i actually really like. lol. i need a bigger picture of that....btw when are u gonna get those new pics up...i cant wait.

Jennay
07-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Awww his smile in that picture is just TOO cute :p

Havok
07-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Thats the hat he's been sporting all day long :cool: I wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, but he pulls it off well.:yeah: (on a side note, everybody take a look at the idiot Spadea and his sideways hat in the back of Andy :haha: )

Jennay
07-27-2004, 01:16 AM
:lol: I saw that, stupid Vince you aren't cool :rolleyes:

andyroxmysox12191
07-27-2004, 01:50 AM
:haha: nice hat andy :yeah: you look like a dorkus yet really hot....that equals awesome :banana:

Fumus
07-27-2004, 02:11 PM
dude, I think Vince has a dew rag on!! lol

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Vinny isn't wearing a do-rag he's wearing a hat off to the side... he looks like an idiot :o

According to Andy's site he wore ripped cargo shorts. Classy, Andy, classy :rolleyes:

Andyway, the weather isn't sounding good for today.... wtf is it with the weather, this will be the third tourney in a row Andy's matches are gonna be affected :fiery:
---

Rain in Toronto
by: staff

TORONTO -- 7/27/2004 --

The forecast looks gloomy at the TMS in Toronto with a steady drizzle falling over the city.

Play is scheduled to begin at 11 AM, with Andy's match against qualifier Julien Benneteau set to begin at 1 PM at the earliest on Stadium Court.

Showers are expected all day with temperatures around 66 degrees Farenheit (18 degrees Celcius) and humidity in the lower to mid ninety percent range, calling for some sticky playing conditions.

While these conditions may not be necessarily favorable to Andy's game--hot temperatures cause the the air to be less dense, allowing the ball to coast through the air faster and with greater ease, an advantage when you have a fast serve--the time to rest should do him some good after playing straight through Sunday's final in Indy.

Stay tuned to AR.com for the latest from Toronto and an update on the weather and Andy's order of play.

Fumus
07-27-2004, 02:50 PM
lol Vince is the man!!!

andyroxmysox12191
07-27-2004, 03:57 PM
According to Andy's site he wore ripped cargo shorts. Classy, Andy, classy:rolleyes:
it aint that bad deb. depends on how they look lmao.

tangerine_dream
07-27-2004, 04:47 PM
ar.com is turning into the weather channel.

J. Corwin
07-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Well ESPN just showed them drying the courts. Maybe play is gonna start soon? But since they're showing the Agassi/Haas match from the beginning it doesn't look like it. :(

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 05:13 PM
It's been an HOUR Jace. they've been drying the courts for AN HOUR!

J. Corwin
07-27-2004, 05:17 PM
So it's been on and off sprinkling? Or are they just that slow in drying the courts?

We might not get in any play today, and I was so looking forward to tennis. :mad:

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
supposedly Hewitt and Nadal are starting soon... I was looking forward to LIVE tennis too. but yea I don't know, no one's sure if they're just this slow drying the courts or if it's been on and off :o

TinyT
07-27-2004, 05:25 PM
i was definatly lookin forward to sum live tennis, oh well, i guess this means there's gonna be more tennis to watch later ;)

tangerine_dream
07-27-2004, 05:37 PM
This sucks because if they don't show Andy's match this afternoon then I'm afraid they'll preempt Roger's match tonight to show a taped match of somebody else! :bigcry:

And all this rain! Damn Americans! Cheaters! :fiery:

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 05:39 PM
After an hour and a half of drying the courts... It's raining again :rolleyes:

TinyT
07-27-2004, 05:45 PM
this is getting really frustrating!! :mad:

Andrew123
07-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Now you know what the Brits feel like at wimbledon every year!

andyroxmysox12191
07-27-2004, 06:08 PM
well to tennis at wimbledon...at least they have covers!
we need covers here :sad: why the heck dont they get them?

Aleksa's Laydee
07-27-2004, 06:13 PM
yup
we want covers we want covers :rolleyes:

Aleksa's Laydee
07-27-2004, 06:22 PM
drying courts

PinkFeatherBoa
07-27-2004, 06:24 PM
This whole lack of court covers is a bit :retard:.

TinyT
07-27-2004, 06:28 PM
lol, i feel u pinkfeatherboa

Havok
07-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Nobody was wearing anything "nice" during the ceremony anyways. :lol:

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Andy's match was officially cancelled for today now

Deboogle!.
07-27-2004, 10:02 PM
nice update from AR.com
=====

Day Two Rained Out in Toronto

TORONTO -- 7/27/2004 --

The matinee session of day two at the TMS Toronto has been officially rained out. All matches are currently being rescheduled. AR.com will post the revised order of play as if becomes available.

Andy arrived in a black Mercedes-Benz G Wagon on the rain-soaked grounds around 11 AM this morning with Coach Gilbert and trainer Spreen in tow.

Matches were delayed in the morning hours although some players such as Lleyton Hewitt were able to get a light hitting session.

Most players, including Andy, hung around the players lounge, playing video games, shooting pool, surfing the net, or indulging themselves at the buffet bar.

It was a feast for the eyes of fans, as Tim Henman, a regular practice partner for Andyís, strode around in his baggy pants, a shirt, and flip flops, snacking away at a bagel, while other players attempted to answer the movie trivia question of the day: 'What is the first rule of the Fight Club?'

Prizes range from a flat-screen television to a portable DVD player. Jiri Novak and Taylor Dent were the lucky winners, respectively, yesterday.

And so that is how it went hour after hour, as the courts were dried and prepared for play, before being soaked again with the spiraling rain drizzle.

Andy continued to ask Coach BG, 'Is it still spinning?' A disappointed nod was the answer each time.

Trainer Doug Spreen, who has informed me that he is preparing to send us answers to a batch of your questions, got a few autographs from Andy for various charity giveaways, before heading out.

At 3 PM local time, it was announced that all matinee sessions, including Andy's opening round, had been canceled.

Shortly thereafter, Andy checked in with us to gives us a heads up on his practice schedule before heading into the fitness lounge to get in a workout before calling it a day.

Wednesday's order of play is set to be announced later this evening and will depend on whether tonight's evening matches proceed to completion.

So stay tuned for more details from Toronto including some behind the scenes exclusives!

TinyT
07-27-2004, 11:45 PM
ESPN's replaying last year's match between federer and roddick. who would've thought he was gonna win the open? :-D

MaitaBaby
07-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Ugh! This rain is getting on my nerves. It's been a while since I am able to watch live tennis on TV and all they're showing now are taped matches. They're showing Andy's Cincinatti final against Mardy.

RoddickBabe10
07-27-2004, 11:46 PM
GODDAMMIT!!! I've been sitting on my couch all day waiting for Andy's match to happen.

Does anyone know is Lleyton's match will be showed on TV?

RoddickBabe10
07-28-2004, 12:00 AM
:cool:

But :sobbing: :crying2: at the Clover Hat:haha:

http://www.gotennis.com/Photos/2004-07-27T001355Z_01_YRK13D_RTRIDSP_2_SPORT-TENNIS.jpg

Does he have like a clover fetish or something :scratch:

Anyway, that smile of his is sooo dorky :silly:

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 12:02 AM
I guess but it's a Boston Celtics hat, so I approve :worship:

MaitaBaby
07-28-2004, 12:03 AM
That smile is cute!!! :kiss:

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 12:32 AM
AR.com is full of updates today!
-----
Behind the Scenes in Toronto

TORONTO -- 7/27/2004 --

For any tennis fan, a tournament is simply an all you can see buffet. If you are patient enough and sometimes lucky, you are sure to get a glimpse and perhaps an autograph from one of your favorite players.

For example, as I arrived today, I saw Lleyton Hewitt arrive at the player's entrance followed by Tim Henman, who was accompanied by wife and tennis television producer, Lucy. Tim headed inside to prepare for his first round match as Lucy ducked behind the iron fences to the production trailers.

Meanwhile, yesteday Rafel Nadal was being driven on a golf cart back to the player's entrance. Still a stapping young lad with a little peach fuzz above his lip, he thanked the driver before slipping in.

On my way to Andy's practice session, I see Roger Federer being carted to the court next to our's (the Federer/Roddick rivalry continues), being chased by a swarm of children.

And to my surprise, as I go to get my credential, I nearly hit Andy with the door as I walk in. Sorry Andy! What a coincidence. Andy was the first of the entourage to have his picture snapped, followed by BG, Doug Spreen, and Zach Gilbert, who is spending his summer vacation touring with his father and Andy.

I asked Zach how it feels to be on road while most teens are watching MTV, he replies, 'I still watch reruns on MTV.'

So all set to go, but BG remains without a credential. Why? Because the always hyper other-half of Andy Roddick sat down for his picture and then got up before the picture was actually taken.

Andy meanwhile decided to take a look around the new complex, although he claimed to get lost three times in the 26 minutes he was there!

Although Andy had just arrived via a private plane from Indy the night before, he still arrived in the early afternoon Monday for a full schedule of events.

A press conference was first on the list, followed by an hour of practice, a Reebok autograph signing, and finally participation in the Rexall Centre opening ceremonies. A little down time in the player's lounge after that and it was time to call it a day.

andyroxmysox12191
07-28-2004, 01:57 AM
zaaaaaccccchhhhh :hearts:

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 02:03 AM
So Andy plays tomorrow night at 7:30, they're not trying to catch up at all tomorrow. So Andy better be focused and make it a quick frigging match in case he has to play two on Thursday :o

Shy
07-28-2004, 03:23 AM
I say that they shoud send half of the draw to montreal. It is not that far.

superpinkone37
07-28-2004, 07:16 AM
ooo i wish i would have watched espn today cuz i had missed that andy/fed match last year. oh well...my cousin had called me telling me they were showing fed and arazi match, but obviously that didnt last long cuz of the rain. he was supposed to call me if they showed andy at all....ohhhh he is gonna get it for not callin me back!!!!!!:mad:

TinyT
07-28-2004, 12:25 PM
the andy/ fed match was pretty good, cept for the fact that they kept showing MANDY. i think at one point she said, "dandy andy!" *pukes with disgust*

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 01:08 PM
ew this could really stink.
===
Toronto Weather Update

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

Clouds still hover over the Rexall Centre in Toronto, but there is good news: no rain.

Conditions remain heavy with high humidity and cool temperatures around 18 degrees Celsius.

Now the not-so-good news. Andy is slated to play tonight's feature match on Stadium Court. Although conditions for this afternoon look bright, it is unclear what the evening will present.

Yesterday, before heading into a workout session with trainer Doug Spreen, Andy commented to me that he would be playing tonight with the possibility of playing two matches on Thursday, a prospect he was not thrilled about--the same as many players here feel.

It will be tough on players to compete at such a high level on a such a demanding schedule, especially since this week kicks off two TMS events followed by two of the biggest events of the year: the Olympics and US Open, with little to no breaks in between.

It is times like this that fans truly appreciate what great athletes these tennis players are.

Here at AR.com, we are remaining optimistic and confident. We are here to support Andy and to help him to continue to play some great tennis.

Good luck tonight Andy!

blueriver
07-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Go Andy!!!! Hopefully no rain disrupts today's schedule..in the meantime, Go Arazi..Beat Roger..Wishful thinking..lolz

athena_wu
07-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Go Andy!!!! Hopefully no rain disrupts today's schedule..in the meantime, Go Arazi..Beat Roger..Wishful thinking..lolz

Joyce, is that possible?? Uncle Arazi, is not Roger's real opponent. :sad:

Hope the weather will be good. I wanna see Andy's match on TV. :confused:

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 02:02 PM
AR.com is really doing a nice job updating :)
--------

Day 3: Toronto

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

To my surprise, I just saw two things on the grounds here at the Rexall Centre: Sunshine and our own sunshine Brad Gilbert.

The sun gives hope that the morning matches will take place on time at 11 AM local time.

Meanwhile, BG arrived solo on the grounds this morning around 8:45 AM, nearly tweleve hours before his pupil's match--maybe do a little scouting?

More interestingly, BG was carrying a Team Roddick favorite--Starbucks. I am not a regular Starbucks drinker, but that cup must have been a tall super grande!

Not that he needs any more energy. Let's just hope it was decaf!

blueriver
07-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi, Athena, Great to see you online!! Yeah, that's not likely to happen.. :sad:
Andy's match should be 7:30am in our time, Which channel will have live coverage, i am not sure..Tonight, CCTV will have some!

Joyce, is that possible?? Uncle Arazi, is not Roger's real opponent. :sad:

Hope the weather will be good. I wanna see Andy's match on TV. :confused:

blueriver
07-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks bunk for the article, That' s very interesting!

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 02:15 PM
You're welcome Joyce! Here's one now from Brad! Glad to hear Andy was so pumped up about the Kiefer match, it really showed. I hope he can keep doing that all summer :cool:
===

7.28.2004 -

Andy beat up on Kiefer. He was cruising the whole way. It was a controlled 205 mph around the track. Iíve rarely seen him more jacked up before a match than I did on Sunday. I think Kiefer's comments about being able to break Andyís serve may have him fired up. Andy was serving big and really cracking his forehand. The match didnít even last an hour.

Iím starting to lose my tan. It felt like we were in London today. We have been chasing the rain like nobody the last 2 months. If Andy wins his first match on Wednesday then he has to turn around and play an Ernie Banks doubleheader later in the day. We had dinner with Andre the other night and he looked very solid in his revenge win against Haas after losing two weeks ago in the quarters of LA.

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 02:44 PM
jesus, AR.com is on a roll!!!
======
Tonight's Forecast

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

The World Weather Watch Forecast for TMS Toronto has just been released for tonight.

It calls for 'a chance of shower early then gradual clearing.' It could be a long night.

Thursday looks much more promising: mainly sunny and clear!
------------

Roddick, Federer Stars of Tuesday Night

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

Andy has yet to take the court at the TMS Toronto, but he was all over the screens at the Rexall Centre and on local coverage on the TSN network, which aired back-to-back TMS finals from last year--Montreal and Cincy.

Of course, for Andy fans, the results were good.

Roger Federer finally managed to get on court for the start of his match, which ran after the 2003 TMS finals.

More Roger and Andy news: they are ranked first and second respectively, on the INDESIT ATP Race Rankings.

Yet another rankings system to keep in mind is the US Open Series. Andy moved up to No. 2 this week with his win against Nicolas Kiefer of Germany this weekend in Indianapolis.

Kiefer holds the No. 1 ranking, making the finals of both Series events, and holds a twelve point lead over Andy with 52 total points.

Stay tuned for a practice session report later today!

tangerine_dream
07-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, at least Kiefer is No. 1 at something. lol

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:10 PM
omg they just keep updating Andy's site! LMAO!!
----

Reebok Autograph Signing Exclusive

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

Andy's Reebok autograph signing session was a great success on Monday.

Nearly one hundred lucky fans were able to meet Andy and get an autograph as well as be one of the first to get some authentic Roddick Reebok gear.

Reebok has come out with some great-looking t-shrits with quotes such as 'Roddick,' 'Mrs. Roddick,' and 'I Love Roddick.' There are some men's shirts as well along with trucker hats that are now in full supply to keep up with the demand.

If you want something a little more dramatic, you can opt for the removable 'Roddick' tatoo which comes in blue and red colors with a '50s type of font and feel to it. You can check out all of this cool new gear in the photo section of the site.

Andy arrived with Graham Cross, of SFX, and trainer Doug Spreen and was lead in by a group of Canadian guards dressed in traditional red uniforms.

Security was tight, but Andy appeared calm and cool, sporting khaki cargo shorts, a Reebok (what else) t-shirt, red shoes, a Celtics hat, and a new addition to his gear, a pair of sunglasses.

Besides signing autographs for fans, Andy posed for a few pics including one with a little boy who he had to pull up over the table to get into the shot.

His last duty was to sign a giant, bigger than life-size image of himself, which will be on display in the lobbhy of the Rexall Centre.

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Bunk do you want me to get you a "Mrs. Roddick" shirt? lol

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:19 PM
:scared:

NO!

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:21 PM
I would get a mens tennis shirt that was like a Jersey that said Roddick on the back, that's a great marketing idea! lol! I feel like like Veruca Salt, "But, Daddy, I want a Roddick Jersey now! I want it now Da-addy!"(Willy Wonka reference, incase anyone is thinking I have gone crazy!)

Bunk I heard you were too scared to talk to Andy when you saw him!(the article reminded me of that)

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:24 PM
huh? You "heard"?? What? I've never been near enough to Andy to talk to him LMAO

Who's spreading untruths about me :armed:

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:27 PM
haha, um, I promised Proph, I wouldn't say, oh crap! haha

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Well it doesn't matter anyway b/c it's just not true lmfao. I mean yeah I've seen him practice and all that but never even remotely close enough to be able to talk to him, or any other player for that matter. Plus I'd rather observe them and learn about them than talk to them. The whole teenybopper stalking thing isn't my cup of tea.

But on a slightly more serious note... why are people talking about me...rumors and gossip really piss me off :tape: :rolleyes:

Plus I'm moving to LA and want to be an entertainment lawyer... I'd be in a bit of trouble if I got nervous around celebrities, eh?

Andyway, enough about me :o Let's just hope Andy's match gets in without delay and that he focuses so that it's a quick one!

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:42 PM
haha, well, yea, she said something to effect of that you have unable to talk to him or sumtin, when I talked to her on MSN a couple of weeks ago.

Yea, Andy needs to cruise...what's the deal with Roddick jerseys? Is Andy sporting the new shirt?

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes: :yawn: ok no more talking about me.

dunno yet about the shirt in Toronto, he hasn't actually played yet :o

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Bunk you are aweomse! You run a great website and without you I would miss out on soo much! Thank you for improving my mood everyday! :hug: :kiss:

haha, yea, so does that mean we will be able to watch him tonight? When does his match start?

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 03:55 PM
aww *blushing* Well enjoy it while it lasts, I move in 9 days :yippee:

His match is at 7:30 Eastern, on ESPN2 :)

Fumus
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
oh nice! awwww...what will we do?

andyroxmysox12191
07-28-2004, 04:50 PM
wow. thanks for the AR.com updates. i havent been there for a bit. only to look at the first update they did yesterday. thasks deb :kiss:
there's a tattoo...and a shirt that says Mrs.Roddick?! :rolls: we should buy those and put ducks on them
but this just made me smile and say aaaaaawwww
Besides signing autographs for fans, Andy posed for a few pics including one with a little boy who he had to pull up over the table to get into the shot.
:hearts: that so cute :hearts:

TinyT
07-28-2004, 04:54 PM
awww, i wish i was that little boy... ;)

Fumus
07-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Hi TinyT and welcome!

TinyT
07-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Hola Fumus! :wavey: my name's lisa...look forward to posting more! :)

Fumus
07-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Hola Fumus! :wavey: my name's lisa...look forward to posting more! :)

I'm Ryan but everyone calls me Skyler(my middle name, long story), I look forward to reading your posts.

andyroxmysox12191
07-28-2004, 06:40 PM
skyler is such a cool middle name. i would've never thunk it

Jennay
07-28-2004, 06:42 PM
*New York accent* Skylah :cool:

Fumus
07-28-2004, 06:53 PM
lol thanks guys... ;-)

Deboogle!.
07-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Pre-match Interview

TORONTO -- 7/28/2004 --

Q: Are you think about obviously doing pretty much what you did last summer this summer?

A: That would be nice, but you know I know it will be hard to come by. Last year was, it was pretty amazing to win, you know, the two Masters leadups and the finish with the Open. You know, I think it would be crazy to expect that but, you Iíll try my best.

Q: Have you seen the facilities here at the new Rexall Centre?

A: Iíve been here for 20 minutes. Iíve gotten lost three times I think itís great.

Q: So you are enjoying it?

A: No. Itís great. Iíve just got to learn how to read the signs. Itís pretty cool and itís nice to see people really trying to improve the game of tennis and you can obviously see this is a place weíre going to be coming back to for many years. Itís amazing so far. The locker rooms are great. I just glanced at the fitness center. It looked great. I havenít seen Centre Court yet but Iím sure thatís great too.

Q: Have you heard anything from other players? You just got here. Q: Can you explain the hat? What significance does the shamrock have?

A: Oh, itís a Celtics hat. I donít really like the Celtics but I like the hat. There is not much significance. Itís pretty shallow.

Q: With your grueling schedule, do you think youíre going to need a little bit of luck or do you have some sort of a back up plan?

A: No. Just lots of ice.

Q: Youíve got the two titles to defend and then the Open obviously. Where are the Olympics? People donít even seem to talk about it yet. Where do they fit into your mentality of things?

A: I mean, from last week and Iíve done a couple of things today, I mean people are talking about it at least to me and asking me about it. I canít wait. I mean to be a part of that opening ceremony. You donít see many Olympians walking down the street. So to be in that company of elite athletes and kind of do the whole experience, I am really excited.

Q: Anyone youíd want to seeóif you could get a ticket, who would you go [to see]?

A: I want to see the sprinters for sure. Iíd love to see Maurice Green. I want to see Michael Phelps. I said last week I would see ballroom dancing if thereís pressure at the Olympics on the line. [laughter]

Note: When asked about the Federer rivalry, Andy was asked about his comment at Wimbledon about it not being a rivalry until he starts winning matches. So Andy jokingly replied ďI got one!Ē This was in response to his semifinal win over Federer last year at this very tournament. He then put this arms up in victory and said, ďwhoo-hoo!Ē sarcastically.

Jennay
07-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Note: When asked about the Federer rivalry, Andy was asked about his comment at Wimbledon about it not being a rivalry until he starts winning matches. So Andy jokingly replied “I got one!” This was in response to his semifinal win over Federer last year at this very tournament. He then put this arms up in victory and said, “whoo-hoo!” sarcastically.
:lol: :rolls:

andyroxmysox12191
07-29-2004, 12:42 AM
that idiot :rolls:

andyroxmysox12191
07-29-2004, 12:56 AM
dude i'm feeling for this guy :( i can't even watch the damn match cause its just so sad. it's so hard to look at the screen even if andy has match point *which he's at now* and andy just won..........they both look upset and i am as well. ugh. i hope benneteau gets better :hug:

PinkFeatherBoa
07-29-2004, 01:00 AM
Aww bless him.:lol: Thanks for the article Deb.:)

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 01:05 AM
It's very disappointing :( You can tell Andy was as disappointed as possible too (considering you know he'd like the extra rest)...

but Feliciano isn't gonna just go away. Andy looks pretty craptastic out there in the first and was really lucky to win it. Lopez is good and he's not gonna let Andy get away with crap and errors like that tomorrow :o

J. Corwin
07-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Julien looks a lil like Ashton Kutcher to me, from some camera angles of his face. Too bad about his neck. :(

I think Andy will rise to the occasion against Lopez. Andy beat him convincingly, 6-3 6-4 (or 6-4 6-3, I forget) when they played at IW last year.

lol @ the scheduling for tomorrow. Doubling up on the stadium for day and night session. Federer, Agassi, Roddick...Federer, Agassi, Roddick (assuming they win). :cool:

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 01:24 AM
yea lucky levin has ticket for tomorrow's day session that LUCKY BASTARD ;)

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 02:12 AM
I wasn't very impressed on how Andy played today. I feel bad for Benneteau and I'm sure Andy does too. People in GM are making such a big deal about it, saying he's "rude" and shit like that. That really pisses me off. It's not his fault about the guy's neck. He didn't hit the guy. WTF?

Anyway, Lopez is a great player and there is no way Andy could beat him if he plays shitty tomorrow. I hope he doesn't. I know he'll do good and get two maches in tomorrow.

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 02:19 AM
People in GM make a big deal every time Andy breathes. It's best to just make jokes out of it and stuff :) or just ignore it all together but that's difficult sometimes ;)

Anyway, yea he has to step up A LOT tomorrow against Feli.... hopefully he will :o

MaitaBaby
07-29-2004, 02:26 AM
Ugh! I wan't able to see Andy's game cuz I overslept! I was supposed to wake up at around 8 in the morning but no..my body wasn't cooperative! I hope I'll be able to watch his game against Lopez. I like Lopez too. :) I think Andy will win against Feli though..

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 02:28 AM
Bunk, thank you. That calmed me down a bit. It really is hard to ignore what they say about Andy, you know, it's like I read their posts and ignore but, you know, I have my limits, you know, maybe mine is a little shorter than others but you know, it's really not very acceptable for them to talk shit like that about him, you know.

Shy
07-29-2004, 02:41 AM
Anyway, yea he has to step up A LOT tomorrow against Feli.... hopefully he will :o
He has to step up.It was only 1 or 2 points that had decided the outcome of the match.It was a nice match until Benneteau hurts himself.

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 02:45 AM
you're welcome RoddickBabe..... many of us here have a lot of experience with these people and know it's just not worth it. but if you can turn it around and make it funny like we're trying to do with this new thread, then it's better.

And yea Shy, for sure only a couple points at the end of that 1st set when Julien played a bad game to lose serve. I think he threw Andy off-guard. Andy probably hadn't seen him play and Brad probably didn't get to scout much and he probably underestimated him and wasn't prepared enough. Not good.

tangerine_dream
07-29-2004, 03:10 AM
This match was a big disappointment. Benneteau was playing so well until Andy deliberately killed him in that second set. I am surprised Julien didn't retire but I guess he would've rathered just finish the match seeing as how it was only two games away from being over anyways. Props to him.

I noticed that none of the other first-round matches were as packed as Andy's match was tonight. :) PMac showed off the Mrs. Roddick t-shirt they were selling. I had no idea Andy was so popular in Canada. :)

Looking forward to tomorrow's matches! Double matches with Roger, Andre, and Andy! Whoo hoo! :banana:

RoddickBabe, don't let Dirk, er,"Zethead", get to you. He's just another mouth-breathing troll going for a little fishing is all. :) It's a dull night and GM is ripe for the baiting. LOL. Judging by the responses, he hit paydirt. Tells you how bored some of us are. I'm already on my second tub of popcorn. :o

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 03:28 AM
LOL Tangy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway here's the transcript they put up
-------
Andy Roddick - July 28

(partial transcript)

Q. Andy, he seemed to be giving you quite some trouble until 2-1 in the second set. Can you talk about what's difficult in his game and what he does well?

A. Yeah. I thought he was playing well, you know. He hit a bunch of winners from far back in the court that were pretty surprising. I felt like he was definitely out there with a plan. He wasn't going to rally too much. He was going to go for the shots. He's going to win or lose going for it. I think he got a little -- maybe a little nervous at 30 all, 5-4 game in the first set and, you know, it's unfortunate that he got hurt because I think it was pretty high level of tennis up until then.

Q. What happened on that point, Andy, from what you saw when he injured his neck? It looked like he just kind of jerked his head?

A. You're talking about when I almost hit him?

Q. What happened on the point?

A. I saw him jerk at the point before. I saw him kind of rubbing it a little bit. Like I said before, he was -- I'd short balls and he would anticipate to one side or another and just go for it. So, he was at the net. I'm thinking, okay, he's going to go one side or another so I'll just go in the middle and he stayed home. So, you know, I almost got him and maybe that just added to the fact that he jerked a little bit more.

Q. Andy, seven seeds went down today out of 12. A bit of a rough day for a lot of guys. Coria had to walk away with a bad shoulder. Is this just the ATP Tour now that first round is not a gimme for anybody?

A. Absolutely. You know, the depth in the game is pretty impressive. I mean, you see someone like Gaston Gaudio who's been a good player on the Tour for a long time come through in the French. You know, Ancic at Wimbledon was -- I don't know if he was top 60 and he got to the semis and, you know, gave me a hell of a shot, so. I mean, the depth it's really, really tough these days, you know, especially in tournaments like this where everybody is here. There aren't a lot of easy matches.

Q. Andy, what have you done since the match ended because you obviously haven't had a shower yet?

A. I walked in. I put my bag down and I came up here.

Q. I thought maybe you had gone out to hit a few more balls or something.

A. I what?

Q. I thought you maybe had gone out to hit a few more balls.

A. No. I did on-court stuff and I did some promotion things. I think I have enough tennis ahead of me.

Q. Andy, earlier in here Lleyton Hewitt was talking about how he's going to play obviously Canada, Cincinnati, then take the week off but he thought that everybody it might hurt them going to play the Olympics in Europe. He's like, "Oh, I'm glad I'm staying in America. I'm just going to play Washington. I think it's better to, you know, have this" -- I know the Olympics is a special thing. My question is, do you think going there might, like Lleyton Hewitt said, hurt your preparation for the U.S. Open?

A. I don't know. We'll see but I'm not going to pass up a shot to play in the Olympics to find out, and that's just my personal choice. Either way, it could possibly have its benefits. You know, I can see his point but, at the same time, you know, I haven't gotten a chance to play in the Olympics before, he has. So, you know, I think that makes our decision-making process a little bit different.

Q. What do you think about tomorrow having to double up?

A. It's part of it, you know. Who is it, Ernie Banks used to played for the Cubs said, yeah, let's play two. You know, what's better than one baseball game, it's two baseball games, so let's do it.

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 03:37 AM
RoddickBabe, don't let Dirk, er,"Zethead", get to you. He's just another mouth-breathing troll going for a little fishing is all. :) It's a dull night and GM is ripe for the baiting. LOL. Judging by the responses, he hit paydirt. Tells you how bored some of us are. I'm already on my second tub of popcorn. :o

LOL, I usually ignore bad posts/comments about Andy or how horrible he is and how he shouldn't have fans cuz he has no potential to be no.1 again, you know, those things, But this time, you know, they just kind of pushed my limits, you know, it really pissed me off how they're like "he deserves to die". Oh yeah, for hitting a winner? LOL, whatever.

Thank you, tangerine and bunk for calming me down. LOL

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Anyways, bunk, that transcript thing was amazing! Thanks. Andy's last answer was so cute! LOL

J. Corwin
07-29-2004, 06:32 AM
nice interview

blueriver
07-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah, Nice interview, I am listening to it now :)

star
07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Andy obviously needs to attend the Ivan Ljubicic School of Whining. How is he ever going to be thought of as a nice guy who everybody likes if he keeps making comments like this?

Q. What do you think about tomorrow having to double up?

A. It's part of it, you know. Who is it, Ernie Banks used to played for the Cubs said, yeah, let's play two. You know, what's better than one baseball game, it's two baseball games, so let's do it.

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 12:47 PM
Andy obviously needs to attend the Ivan Ljubicic School of Whining. How is he ever going to be thought of as a nice guy who everybody likes if he keeps making comments like this?

:haha: :haha:

On the other hand, I hopehe never picks anything like this up from Brad :o
-----
7.29.2004 - Andy got his first look at the Frenchman Julien Benneteau. Andy won 4 and 2 today against a French dude who can play. It was kind of a weird match. Early in the 2nd set up 40-15 Andy came barreling in to the net after a drop shot and just ripped the return. The French dude dove for cover and somehow hurt his neck when he hit the deck, (he took a 10 minute injury T.O.) Andy won the next 19 points. It was definitely good that Andy had a short match. Tomorrow he could be looking at a twin bill, if he gets through his match against Lopez. Tomorrow is a double header for all the guys in the second round. The fans will be getting there money's worth.

My 5 star brew pick for the week here in Toronto is Labatts Ice. It's not Bud Ice, but it's growing on me.

TinyT
07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
hey Ryan!! sorry for the late post, my b-day was yesterdyay.

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 01:26 PM
OH!!!!!!!!! BELATED HAPPY BDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you had a great day:)

:aparty: :dance: :aparty:

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Interesting tidbit from the ATP Site, and an article from the Toronto paper:)
--
In the third match on Stadium, Roddick takes a 22-2 career record against Spaniards into his second round battle against left-handed Madrid native Feliciano Lopez. Roddick has won eight straight against Spaniards since a first round loss to Albert Portas at ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo in April 2003. Roddick's other loss to a Spaniard came to Albert Costa in the first round of the 2000 US Open. In their only previous meeting, Roddick won 6-4, 6-3 in the second round of ATP Masters Series Indian Wells in March 2003.

====================
====================

Snap, crack and stop
Roddick's passing shot a pain in the neck

Medical timeout couldn't help Benneteau recover

ROSIE DIMANNO AND NICOLE MACINTYRE
SPORTS REPORTERS

It was not a gesture of surrender when Julien Benneteau threw up his hands and ducked his head into his neck like a retracting turtle.

That was self-preservation.

Approaching the net, a wicked Andy Roddick passing shot apparently headed straight for his head, the body acts by instinct. And Benneteau's instinct, wisely, was to get out of the way.

The ball did miss him by, oh, about a hand-span, whizzing over his noggin, just about where his forehead had been a split-second earlier. If that defensive action didn't specifically cause the pivotal duress Benneteau suffered ó he was already hurting from the previous serve ó it surely didn't help.

Something had gone crick and Benneteau went prone ó not immediately, but shortly thereafter, medical personnel massaging and rotating and manipulating the neck area during a three-minute medical timeout. Which was sufficient administration to keep the 23-year-old in the Tennis Masters Canada first-round match, but only fleetingly, if quite gallantly.

In a rapid denouement of what had been a surprisingly combative match ó though perhaps not reflected in the numbers ó Roddick set Benneteau aside 6-4, 6-2. The Frenchman had been leading the second set 2-1 when his neck snapped. Fortunately, only his game was broken.

"It's unfortunate that he got hurt because he was playing a high level of tennis," said Roddick, the No.2-ranked men's tennis player in the world, who chalked up his 50th match of the season last night and 17th win in his last 18. The tournament's top seed and world No.1 Roger Federer also advanced, completing his rain-delayed match from Tuesday by beating Hicham Arazi 6-3, 7-5.

Roddick was himself perplexed about what exactly had befallen his opponent. "I saw him jerk it on the point before. I saw him kind of rubbing it a little bit."

What Roddick had observed, to that point, was that Benneteau had been trying to anticipate his short balls, from one side to the other, "and just go for it." That pattern was repeated on this exchange. "He was at the net. I'm thinking, okay, he's going to go one side or another so I'll just go in the middle. And he stayed home.

"I almost got him and maybe that just added to the fact that he jerked a little bit more."

Benneteau's explained afterwards: "I felt something move inside."

This occurred, in fact, on the point just previous to the theatrics, Benneteau up 2-1 and serving. He was understandably dejected by the turn of events. "It was a big disappointment for me because it was a big match for me.... It could have been my chance."

The Frenchmen felt he'd been playing a strong game up till that point and Roddick was not, particularly. "I don't know if Andy was very good today," said Benneteau. "Maybe he was not ready to fight like he normally fights in a big match."

After hurting his neck, Benneteau's serve went south ó dipping to around 120 km/h. "I couldn't make a backhand or a serve."

Roddick acknowledged that Benneteau had been putting up a stiff fight earlier in the match.

"I thought he was playing well," said Roddick, merely No.1 in the world a year ago. "He had a bunch of winners from far back in the court that were pretty surprising. I thought he was definitely out there with a plan."

Benneteau wasn't the only player to suffer physical aggravation of a serious nature yesterday. Third seed Guillermo Coria retired because of a shoulder problem, down 5-1 to Luis Horna in the first set.

Marat Safin also received medical treatment in the tiebreaker third set of his match against Nicolas Kiefer.

"I felt like I pulled the Achilles, the thing, you know, the tendon. So, I was a little bit scared. I'm not young anymore," said Safin.

The Russian, seeded 15th, had won a first-set tiebreaker before Kiefer charged back, winning 6-7, 6-4, 7-6.

In all, seven seeds got bounced or otherwise ejected from the tournament yesterday. Russia's Mikhail Youzhny beat sixth seed David Nalbandian 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Eighth seed Rainer Schuettler lost to Fernando Gonzalez.

"The depth, it's really really tough these days, especially in tournaments like this where everybody is here," said Roddick. "There aren't a lot of easy matches."

Because of rain delays Tuesday advancing players will be playing two matches per day. Roddick shrugged that off. "Ernie Banks, who used to play for the Cubs, said: `Yeah, let's play two.'"

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Well Andy eked out another win in straights today over Lopez in just over an hour. He made such poor poor errors - some of them on big points. Chela BAGELED Robredo today so Andy will be in trouble if he doesn't clean up his game tonight. ESPN must be fuming that both Andre and Vince lost b/c instead of a match between them, they're gonna have to show Melzer/Gonzo (which could actually be an EXTREMELY interesting match!)

CMON ANDY BEAT CHELA... Tim lost so Andy you have no excuse to not get to the finals!!

PinkFeatherBoa
07-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Yeah c'mon Andy, be the favourite of mine who doesn't lose in the early rounds.http://www.menstennisforums.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Hope he can pick up his level against Chela. Go Andy!:smoke:

J. Corwin
07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
yea it was poorish quality match from Andy.

Andy might get a lot of trouble from Carlos though, if they were to meet in the semis.

J. Corwin
07-29-2004, 07:33 PM
All in all, Andy's got a really tough road ahead of him for his title defense. :retard:

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Carlos almost lost to Verdasco and got broken twice by Bogomolov. This is Decoturf, if he gives Andy too many problems then Andy needs :help: Plus Carlos might have to get through Kiefer first.

But yeah TMS tourneys are always tough! But he got a break from Guga :kiss: and can hopefully take advantage of that.

tangerine_dream
07-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree, bunk. Andy's looking lazy out there and I am reminded of Cliff's question to PMac whether Andy finds it hard to get up to play these early-round matches.

Reading the "Andy's a Murderer" thread in GM, I am curious as to why some people are getting all hot and bothered by Andy's passing shot from last night? They are adamant that Andy should "apologize". Apologize for what exactly? Benneteau didn't get nailed by Andy's ball, he hurt himself by ducking out of the way. How is this injury Andy's fault? PMac even said that Andy hitting the ball right back at Julien was the right thing to do! I don't know, if Benneteau hit a lob and Andy sprained his ankle running to get it, should Benneteau apologize for *that* injury? :confused:

And did any of these people in GM calling for Andy's head complain about the same thing last year when Andy nailed Mardy Fish with a serve, right in the gut I might add, at Cincy? Cliff's comments at the time were: "Andy didn't apologize for that nor should he have to." I've seen lots of players get nailed by balls; nobody apologizes and very few take it personally.

Like Jace said, for some people, Andy should apologize for merely existing. LOL. :lol:

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 07:48 PM
I liked what he said today after the FLo match he said that he has to play a really clean baseline match against Chela. So it's like he knows what he has to do but yeah.

Today he played two really sloppy 15-30 points on two consecutive Lopez serve games in the second set. He could've had double BP twice had he gotten those shots in. Then he played another poor shot at a 30-30 point later in the set. That set should not have gone to a TB IMO.

Andy served REALLY well today, that's what won him the match. He obviously knew his out wide serve would bother Lopez so he hit tons of them and had huge success and got 78% of them in and 13 aces:eek: But his returning was terrifically poor. The good thing about Chela is that his serve is nothing special, he didn't even have any aces today.

But seriously. Time to step the heck up.

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 07:50 PM
LOL tangerine, you couldn't have said that any better (GM's "Andy's A Murderer" thread) They are the ones freaking out about it. It's like the players have probably even forgot about it already. People there just can't let things go, could they? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I hope Andy plays better against Chela, I haven't seen the guy play but I hear he's pretty good. So Andy needs to play some clean tenn is out there.

andyroxmysox12191
07-29-2004, 07:52 PM
wwwweeeee mtf aint deathing :banana:
well nice job to andy even though i hated him at points ;)
nice job to guga! :hug: :kiss:

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm watching Federer's match right now. What do you think about this Mirnyi guy? Any chance with FedEx?

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Roger and Max are good friends. MAx has a good game but I'm sure Roger knows his game way too well. Plus Max had a 3-setter and had very little time to rest and he hasn't been playing that well lately anyway. so... no I don't think Max has much of a chance

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I see. Well, that's too bad cuz I'm actually rooting for him, you know, he's obviously the underdog and i love the underdogs in this world LOL. Oh well, at least he's actually putting up a fight with Roger the Great LOL

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
OH Max is great, he's such a nice guy and stuff. Plus he has a great serve and an awesome net game, very smooth player. But he has no chance against Roger.

tangerine_dream
07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
LOL. You're making it sound like Max is Robby Ginepri. Right now, their game looks very competitive and even to me. I wouldn't say that Max has "no chance." :)

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 08:51 PM
yeah...i watched the first set and it seemed pretty competitive. i mean normally fed send players packing in sets along the lines of 6-2, 6-3, and max got the first on to a TB so he is doing better than most. i dont think he will win, but i wouldnt say he has no chance

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
:shrug: sorry it's my opinion... Max has no chance lol

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
lol hey i guess it doesnt really matter what we think right? its not like it will change the outcome.....and we are entitled to our opinions-- i dont think he will win, but i think that give or take a few points in the first set, he could have had a chance

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 09:50 PM
That was a real competitive match, though, Fed and Max. Good effort from Mirnyi and as for Fed, well as usual, congrats! LOL

Anyways, does anyone know if Andy's match against Chela will be televised? Or do I have to ask for a site for live scores? haha

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 10:00 PM
if the guga match is short, they will probably show andy's match but otherwise they probabbly wont be able to show because i dont think their coverage lasts that long tonight. hopefully guga wins in an hour so that we can see the majority of andy's match. and if its not just started or its a really good match maybe they will show the whole thing. btw i am not sure if anything i have just said made sense....:crazy:

boliviana
07-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Actually that was a great match between them . . . it's good to see Federer pushed to the wall a bit and there was a display of temper too . . . a chink in the armor!

RoddickBabe10
07-29-2004, 10:04 PM
so, superpink, do you know what time the match starts? and if they aren't showing it then i'm :scared: because i won't know what the results until i check in here. LOL

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 10:12 PM
um according to the new revised night order of play i just saw on the official website, night matches will start at 7:30 eastern time. guga is first on at 7:30 and then andy's match will follow that. btw, did u know both andy and chela (who is he is playing tonight) have the same birthday? theres some trivia for the day. :)

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 10:14 PM
they're not showing Guga tonight though they're showing Hewitt.

I'd say there's almost no chance to see Andy unless they extend the coverage (which they did NOT say they were doing).

Everyone thought Andre would win today and they all goofed:p

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 10:25 PM
oooo i see-- who is hewitt playing btw? oh well i guess i could easily find that out. anyways, they probably told u guys that during the telecast today? i left the tv after the first set of the fed match and just checked on the scores on the computer...im sorry but i cannot sit thorugh fed beating player after player. and besides i had to turn of the tv cuz that mercedes commercial was making me want to kill someone. yeah fed has a great game and i appreciate his tennis but i will not watch him unless he is playing someone i wouldnt mind watching, i am extremely bored, or if it is an important match like a semi or final or something.

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 10:28 PM
oh yeah and i didnt get to see andy's match today cuz i was at tennis practice ( i had to do this clinic thing all week and it sucked cuz it was so hot and there was no real competition, ugh) but i knew he would win. my sister also forgot to press reconrd on the vcr so i dont get to see any of the lopez match. i heard it was uneventful, but is there anything else i should know about the match, coming from people who did see it?

Deboogle!.
07-29-2004, 10:37 PM
The Andy/Lopez match was pretty uneventful... Andy was returning from WAY BACK. and I don't understand. He returns better now, and I think he should mix it up. It put him on the defensive so much. He got the lucky break at 3-4 in the first when Lopez missed an easy overhead on break point. the second set was a holding contest. Andy held his first three serve games at love and his next to 15 but then played a dumb game and had a BP/SP on his serve but he saved it with three huge serves. The TB was close, Andy had an early minibreak but gave it right back but then finally closed it out on his first match point.

I thought Andy still played pretty blah-ly and he was lucky that Lopez missed a ton of first serves and hit a ton of errors. Otherwise it woulda been a lot closer. Andy NEEDS to play better against Chela. Chela BAGELED Robredo... he's obviously playing well. I don't think Chela is known for his serve so if Andy doesn't stay in and play more aggressively and if he's not able to break him then we need to enter serious :help:-mode b/c Andy will be in trouble.

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 10:48 PM
thank you for the update-- things that fans (and people who know what they are talking about) notice during a match reveal more about how a player was doing rather than the generic article saying that andy won in straight sets, which doesnt really give me much info. i know that andy is gonna have to step it up tonight especially with chela having a great easy win already today. i hope they end up showing andy's match today....*fingers crossed*....though it seems unlikely cuz espn probably wont see the extreme need to televise another andy match as he already had one today.

TinyT
07-29-2004, 11:25 PM
lol superpink, i know what u mean bout the mercedes benz commercial :devil:

superpinkone37
07-29-2004, 11:39 PM
lol last month it was that pepto commercial that was driving me crazy, but i dont know what it is about the mercedes one--- i seriously am gonna go insane if they keep using this commercial throughout the summer

andyroxmysox12191
07-29-2004, 11:53 PM
omg i wanna kill that commercial :fiery: all i hear is rain, love, string and fingers. it's so annoyinngggg :fiery: i'm gonna kill espn for putting it on air all the time!!! bring back taylor and the cutie little kid!

J. Corwin
07-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Thank you Ms. Cleo. But your services aren't wanted here.

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Thank you Ms. Cleo. But your services aren't wanted here.

:lol: Andy's winning matches. That means it's troll season.

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 01:11 AM
:haha: you're pathetic Sammy S

andyroxmysox12191
07-30-2004, 01:14 AM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gif

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Anyway, ESPN is showing Guga's match right now. I want to see Lleyton's match!!! They showed like a little bit of it, then changed it back to Guga's match. I guess it's cuz Hewitt's kicking Santoro's ass :banana: WoOhOo! It would be an awesome Hewitt/Federer match!

Please ESPN show Andy's match! And it wouldn't be fair for them to not show it just because they showed his first match today cuz they showed both Fed's matches, so... LOL And please stop with the Mercedes-Benz commercial already. "I got the world on a string... I'm sitting by the rainbow... Don't you see don't you see that I'm in love... I can make the rainbow... Can't you see can't you see that I'm in love" ahhhhhh lmao

Jennay
07-30-2004, 01:23 AM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gif
:worship: :yeah:

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Yes...... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here, OR GM!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gifhttp://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gifhttp://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gifhttp://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/trolls.gif

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 02:19 AM
I can't believe Guga is out. Who's this Herndych guy? I'm probably spelling his name wrong. I hope Andy can take out Chela tonight. No live TV broadcast though. :awww: And Santoro's playing great while Lleyton is melting...aargh. :explode: Some great matches today.

andyrox, Jennay, Roddickbabe, bunk, check out my troll sign :) :

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 02:30 AM
:banana: :yeah: nice one tangerine! Did you see "The Andy Roddick THread" in GM yet? :haha: gotta check it out! that troll sign fits in there :banana:

Anyways, Hewitt lost! I cannot believe it! I actually thought he'd take Santoro out 6/2 6/4 or something. Lleyton has got some work to do if he wants to beat one of the big boys. Good luck to Andy vs. Chela!

andyroxmysox12191
07-30-2004, 02:42 AM
tanggggyyyyyyyy :worship: i saw that already though :rolls: or one just like it

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 02:52 AM
nice one tangerine! Did you see "The Andy Roddick THread" in GM yet? gotta check it out! that troll sign fits in there

Nah, I figure if the thread was created by that gbpgbp/sammy troll, chances are it's not worth reading. He'll be banned faster than you can say Carnival Carnage, anyways. :lol: :)

Lleyton has got some work to do if he wants to beat one of the big boys. Good luck to Andy vs. Chela!

Lleyton just isn't the same old Lleyton he used to be. :sad: He's not nearly as confident about himself as he was in 2001 when he looked (and was) indestructible. *sigh*

Right now Andy is destroying Chela, first set 6-1. He almost bageled him. :eek: I'm not watching the match but it would appear that Andy is finally stepping up his game. This should make Bunk happy. :banana:

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 03:19 AM
61 64 against Chela NICE :)

now take out this Hernych kid, ok!!!!!!!

The match is tomorrow at 7 but we don't get TV coverage til 8 :rolleyes:

J. Corwin
07-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Was the Andy/Chela match televised??

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 03:45 AM
61 64 against Chela NICE :)

now take out this Hernych kid, ok!!!!!!!

The match is tomorrow at 7 but we don't get TV coverage til 8 :rolleyes:

:banana: YAY! I knew our boy would kick ass ;) hehe. So the match tomorrow is at 7 ET? So tv coverage is recorded then :rolleyes:

So what do you think about Hernych? I really thought Guga could've beat him. I didn't really see how well he (Hernych) played so I don't know. What about you guys? Think Andy can take him pretty easily?

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 03:50 AM
Nah, I figure if the thread was created by that gbpgbp/sammy troll, chances are it's not worth reading. He'll be banned faster than you can say Carnival Carnage, anyways. :lol: :)

I just realized that threads like those just make Andy more popular :haha: And if they hate him so much then why bother talk about him. I promise, from now on, I won't freak out (that much) about their Andy-bashing posts hehe. I'm so glad to be a part of the "Ducknation" :lol:

Lleyton just isn't the same old Lleyton he used to be. :sad: He's not nearly as confident about himself as he was in 2001 when he looked (and was) indestructible. *sigh*

It's too bad that Lleyton just can't find his game. You know, the old Lleyton. I hope he comes to his senses pretty soon cuz I really love his tennis. Most especially his lobs hehe

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 03:50 AM
Uh-oh I made an error on your quote, Tangerine :haha:

Havok
07-30-2004, 04:11 AM
Not even I got the Roddick/Chela match, and I live in Canada.:)

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 04:14 AM
Think Andy can take him pretty easily?

he better!!!!!!

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 04:46 AM
not my website, it's Proph's..... but, we're thrilled you like it!!! :)

blueriver
07-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Glad our Andy went through with ease, Damn Lleyton lost, with the likes of these seeds out, Now Federer can smile through to the final..:( :o

Prophetic
07-30-2004, 09:03 AM
lol....aw thanks :)

I'm there everyday too ;) go figure

elusive
07-30-2004, 10:04 AM
yep your website is the greatest! :D
thanks for the frequent updates. credit to you guys.

i havent been able to come here often lately as i was busy tackling a bunch of tests and work. and to top it off i have pretty major exams coming up too. darn.

im REALLY glad andys been playing well! :) all his matches seem to be when im in school which is really the pits. cause i spend half the time wondering how hes playing. but he din let me down so far!

yeah rock on andy :)

blueriver
07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Drop by when you have time, Elusive :) ..Yeah, Roddickonline.com is great! I think it is better than AR.com :p

Fumus
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Lopez is a good looking guy what do ya'll think?

Fumus
07-30-2004, 02:11 PM
better than Andy?

Jennay
07-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't say better than Andy :p But yeah, hes a good looking guy definitely :)

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 03:17 PM
So glad Andy took care of Chela in straight sets. I would've preferred to see that match than the Lopez snooze-fest we got in the afternoon. :zzz: But whatever. Maybe if there's another rain-delay they'll show that match. :)

Fumus, Lopez is nice eye candy but he's lacking the one quality I like most: edginess. He's too soft and pretty. He needs some rougher edges. ;)

I don't know anything about this Herndych (sp?) guy but I'm not worried about him. I think Andy will be able to handle him with relative ease. The first set will probably be a mess as they both try to feel each other out but once Andy's in his groove, it'll be fine. :cool:

But I'm already looking forward to yet another great final with Roger and Andy. I can't wait. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Feli isn't ugly, but he's too much of a pretty boy for my liking. I don't really find it attractive at all. Blech... sorry.

Verdasco on the other hand.... :drool:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 03:47 PM
haha what about Santoro? Is it me or does he have the biggest quads on tour? Holy crap his legs are big...lol

Deboogle!.
07-30-2004, 03:52 PM
His legs are crazy strong... but I don't fin him physically attractive at all. Gimme Clement any day for a Frenchman :drool:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Clement with those glasses? Why not Grosjean? lol

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I just realized that threads like those just make Andy more popular And if they hate him so much then why bother talk about him. I promise, from now on, I won't freak out (that much) about their Andy-bashing posts hehe. I'm so glad to be a part of the "Ducknation"

Now you've got the hang of it, RoddickBabe :yeah: The more Andy wins, the more trolls come out to play, so we bring out the heavy artillery for special cases. http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/2ar15smilie.gif :lol: You'll notice in the Roddick-hater threads that it's all the usual suspects anyways (mostly Dahveeed:baby: fans; I guess if you're own fave is too fat to win titles, you focus on the next best thing: Andy :haha: ) who are not only obsessed with Andy but with us as well. Take it as a compliment that their sad, empty lives revolve around us. And not us around them. :angel:

And Fumus, yeah, Santoro's legs are huge but they're also ugly, shapeless things. Yuck. Gimmee Andy's legs. Or even Bjorkman's. Verdasco's hot, too. :lol:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Dorkman has some big legs too!

Havok
07-30-2004, 04:55 PM
http://www.moviestar-photos.com/graphics/254/254775.jpg
This is hot :drool:

had to break up the sexy guy talk:p

Jennay
07-30-2004, 05:03 PM
*Ignores Naldo's pic of sexy woman*

Deb!!! Verdasco!!! :drool:

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 05:06 PM
"Dorkman"? :eek: For shame! Jonas has great legs. They're huge but they're shapely. Lleyton's got an awesome pair of legs too. :hearts: I like Kiwi's and Tommy's, too. I'm a leg person, can you tell? Legs and hands. I love hands. :)

And Naldo, we don't want no Jelly on our Bananas!!!!! Out. Out! :nerner:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 05:23 PM
ewww...Tangy!

lol, Legs are great, I am a leg guy with women too. Serena you know she's got some of those and I love em..Jelly has got an awesome body too...:drool:

tangerine_dream
07-30-2004, 05:42 PM
What's this "ewww" business? :confused: It's not like I posted a pic of Andy's pee-pee falling out of his shorts. :tape:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 06:19 PM
alright tangy! eeeeww and this time I mean it!! ewwwww :rain: :ignore: :sobbing: :hysteric: :timebomb:

I said ewww before because you were talking about Jelly on Banana's... :eek:

Seriously though, I think Lopez is probably the best look guy on tour. :angel:

Havok
07-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Gonna post this again just for tangy:D

Oh, and did everyone notice that Andy ditched his stupid "pumps" (as Fumus likes to call them :lol: ) and has a new version of the figjams back :rocker2:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 06:22 PM
yes, no more pumps, I think he went with the pumps for alittle more cushion for that knee...Figjams rock! Maybe he forgot his shoes...lol...and had to go to thrift store maybe that's why.

I did notice that Naldo!

Fumus
07-30-2004, 06:22 PM
atleast he didn't forget his razor, everyone I think is happy about that!

superpinkone37
07-30-2004, 07:48 PM
haha what about Santoro? Is it me or does he have the biggest quads on tour? Holy crap his legs are big...lol

i think his quads are probably on the bigger side, but mostly theyre just really noticable cuz his shorts are too short. most of the guys wear shorts down to their knee, this guy has a lot of thigh showing

Jennay
07-30-2004, 07:50 PM
What's this "ewww" business? :confused: It's not like I posted a pic of Andy's pee-pee falling out of his shorts. :tape:
OMFG!!!!!! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :haha:

Fumus
07-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Andre has some nice quads! Right Tang?

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 10:15 PM
This is hot :drool:

had to break up the sexy guy talk:p

:lol: Who's that?

Anyway, that Fed/Santoro match was pretty amazing. Credits to Santoro. And yeah, man, I think he's got pretty big legs, but I don't find HIM attractive lol. Feliciano, on the other hand, has great eyes :drool: hehe But, I think, Marat is the hottest of them all hehe.

Havok
07-30-2004, 10:44 PM
:lol: Who's that?

Anyway, that Fed/Santoro match was pretty amazing. Credits to Santoro. And yeah, man, I think he's got pretty big legs, but I don't find HIM attractive lol. Feliciano, on the other hand, has great eyes :drool: hehe But, I think, Marat is the hottest of them all hehe.
:eek: You don't know who Jelena Dokic is? anyways that's her, imo the hottest WTA player around, but she's stuck in a huge slump that she can't break out of so far :sad: that's probably why you don't know her:tears:

andyroxmysox12191
07-30-2004, 10:46 PM
aaaww :hug: she'll get out of it nAldo i'm sure of it. then she'll be number 1 :devil:

RoddickBabe10
07-30-2004, 10:53 PM
LOL Naldo, that's Dokic? :haha: how could I be so stupid? My brother thinks she is the hottest WTA player as well, next to Kournikova and Sharapova :lol: Anyways, is she from Croatia?

Havok
07-30-2004, 10:58 PM
She's from Serbia and Montenegro, formerly known as Yugoslavia

Deboogle!.
07-31-2004, 12:21 AM
well 6-4 6-2 against Hernych, Andy didn't face a BP the whole match, just over an hour.

Now let us hope Melzer and Kiefer kill each other out there for a couple hours? ;)

Andyway, he got through and it sounds like he upped his level at the end so that's good.

Havok
07-31-2004, 12:24 AM
His forehand in this match :drool:

TinyT
07-31-2004, 01:35 AM
lol Naldo, i agree. when it was over i breathed a deep sigh of relief :big grin:

RoddickBabe10
07-31-2004, 02:06 AM
That as an okay match. I'm glad he won and everything but he needs to step up (UEs :rolleyes:)

Deboogle!.
07-31-2004, 02:14 AM
His forehand in this match :drool:

I KNOW! :worship:

Deboogle!.
07-31-2004, 03:50 AM
Andy Roddick - July 30

(partial transcript)

ATP: Andy commences his career record in Canada at 18‑2 and tomorrow he will attempt to reach his third straight final. In addition he has won 20 of his last 21 matches in his last four tournaments going back to the Queens Club.

Q. Great, but can he sing the national anthem?

ATP: You start it, Oh Canada. All right questions for Andy.

Q. Andy, do you feel you stepped up a gear tonight?

A. I felt like a stepped up a gear last night. The way I played against Chela last night is probably the best I've hit the ball this year so far. And tonight I felt like I was a little in and out as far as my concentration went, but I felt like I was still hitting the ball a ton and hitting it pretty well.

Q. Andy, were you helped at all byódid you watch the match while you were waiting last night for tonight?

A. I did, I did. I didn't know anything about his game before the match last night. So I definitely was thankful that I got a chance to kind of catch that one and watch the whole match.

Q. What did you find tricky in his game to play?

A. He is tough because he doesn't move off the baseline, you know, even when I would take big cuts at it he'd just stay there and plays a pretty solid D, he puts a lot of returns on the court and he volleys well. He is a very deceiving player because he doesn't look spectacular but he hurts you in different ways.

Q. How are you holding up physically given all the back‑to‑back matches and your busy schedule coming up into this tournament?

A. Fine. I think any time you play a lot of matches you have a couple of things here and there but nothing serious, nothing that is going to prevent me from trying play my best tennis.

Q. Andy, you are a confident player anyway, but how confident are you right now?

A. I feel good. I feel like I am getting there, you know, I feel like the momentum is going in the right way right now. I am going towards a level that I want to be at.

Q. Andy, how much would you like to get another shot at Federer after Wimbledon in the final?

A. I would love to. I mean, I think we both look forward to playing each other. But that being said, we still have some work to do before we can entertain that prospect.

Q. You hit 31 winners, that is a lot of winners, I think a lot of them were your forehand. What most pleased you about your performance was it that or was it something else?

A. Umm, my forehand I felt the last, the last last night and tonight I felt like I started hitting it really well. I felt like I was hitting it pretty good and had good moments too. But I was excited that I was able to kind of bear down and break when I had chances, you know. In the second set I wasn't getting into many of the service games and when I had the chance I took it, I hit couple of good passing shots, so you know, that felt pretty good as well.

Q. You and Roger are the only two seeds left. Is this an indication of just how tough the ATP tour is these days because you guys had 19 of the top 20 players(inaudible)?

A. Yeah, I mean, it's the depth of the men's tennis, I think I talked about it the other day, it's pretty thick right now. You have guys, you know, you have a lucky loser still in it in the semis. This is a guy who lost in the qualifying tournament is now in the semis of the big show. So it's, I mean, that is an example in itself. And we had another lucky loser who was still playing last night, Saulnier. So, you know, they lost in the qualifying tournament but then made significant progress in the real deal, so that is enough evidence in itself.

Q. What is your better weapon right now, your forehand, your serve? What do you think is your strongest weapon right now?

A. My serve is always my strongest weapon, yes. That is definitely what my game resolves around.

Q. Andy, how much did going through this last year sort of put you in a good state of mind in terms of what every injury niggles you might get, you kind of know what it takes to play that many matches in that short of a period of time at this time of year?

A. I think it helps, you know, that people are talking a lot about my schedule being pretty daunting and there is a lot of tennis and, you know. But, I did it last year, you know, and I played a lot of tennis and so, you know, I know that I have done something similar before, maybe not quite as extreme with going to Athens and coming back, but similar nonetheless.

Q. Given that you are one of the two seeds remaining, does that give you a little bit more confidence and does it help make you feel more secure that you do belong in the top (inaudible) and between you and Federer, you guys are coming in and living up to your seedings week after week so?

A. We are getting there. Umm, I don't really look at it as I am playing a seeded player, I am not playing a seeded player; I am playing a professional, you know. Whoever I play tomorrow is aóthey have beaten the seeded players, you know, so they definitely deserve their shot and they deserve to be where they are. So I don't really think about, you know, this guy is ranked this and this guy is ranked that, I try not to think about it to much. I have a player, I figure out how he plays and I deal with it.

Q. So you take him just as seriously?

A. You take every match seriously. I mean, people are too good out here, we were just talking about the depth of mens tennis. I mean, people are too good to over look anything. I think you have to walk into every match, you know, thinking that there is a serious chance that you might lose.

Q. If there is one aspect of your game that you think are you doing better this year than you were a year ago, what would it be?

A. Well a year ago at this time I was playing pretty good.

Q. I know, that is why it is a difficult question?

Deboogle!.
07-31-2004, 03:54 AM
OH Brad...... *shakes head*

7.30.2004 - bradgilberttennis.com

Yesterday's double header was a success and Andy played the night cap as well as I've ever seen him, especially the first set. He has not dropped his serve in his last two matches. Tonight he takes on the Heimlich maneuver, who after qualifying had an impressive win over Guga. Club Fed takes on the magician; we got Johansson vs Johansson, and Melzer against Kiefer, who continues to play well on the US hard courts. Andy and Club Fed are the only 2 seeds left in the draw.

How about 4 Ruski's in the quarterfinals of San Diego? Lindsay should make through her third straight final in as many weeks. I think the upset of the day will be Maria Maria beating Myskina. I would pay $20 bucks to see a Serena and Sharapova rematch; I might even drop $50.00 for a good box seat to see that one.

J. Corwin
07-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Andy Roddick - July 30

(partial transcript)

ATP: Andy commences his career record in Canada at 18‑2 and tomorrow he will attempt to reach his third straight final. In addition he has won 20 of his last 21 matches in his last four tournaments going back to the Queens Club.

Q. Great, but can he sing the national anthem?

ATP: You start it, Oh Canada. All right questions for Andy.

Q. Andy, do you feel you stepped up a gear tonight?

A. I felt like a stepped up a gear last night. The way I played against Chela last night is probably the best I've hit the ball this year so far. And tonight I felt like I was a little in and out as far as my concentration went, but I felt like I was still hitting the ball a ton and hitting it pretty well.

Q. Andy, were you helped at all byódid you watch the match while you were waiting last night for tonight?

A. I did, I did. I didn't know anything about his game before the match last night. So I definitely was thankful that I got a chance to kind of catch that one and watch the whole match.

Q. What did you find tricky in his game to play?

A. He is tough because he doesn't move off the baseline, you know, even when I would take big cuts at it he'd just stay there and plays a pretty solid D, he puts a lot of returns on the court and he volleys well. He is a very deceiving player because he doesn't look spectacular but he hurts you in different ways.

Q. How are you holding up physically given all the back‑to‑back matches and your busy schedule coming up into this tournament?

A. Fine. I think any time you play a lot of matches you have a couple of things here and there but nothing serious, nothing that is going to prevent me from trying play my best tennis.

Q. Andy, you are a confident player anyway, but how confident are you right now?

A. I feel good. I feel like I am getting there, you know, I feel like the momentum is going in the right way right now. I am going towards a level that I want to be at.

Q. Andy, how much would you like to get another shot at Federer after Wimbledon in the final?

A. I would love to. I mean, I think we both look forward to playing each other. But that being said, we still have some work to do before we can entertain that prospect.

Q. You hit 31 winners, that is a lot of winners, I think a lot of them were your forehand. What most pleased you about your performance was it that or was it something else?

A. Umm, my forehand I felt the last, the last last night and tonight I felt like I started hitting it really well. I felt like I was hitting it pretty good and had good moments too. But I was excited that I was able to kind of bear down and break when I had chances, you know. In the second set I wasn't getting into many of the service games and when I had the chance I took it, I hit couple of good passing shots, so you know, that felt pretty good as well.

Q. You and Roger are the only two seeds left. Is this an indication of just how tough the ATP tour is these days because you guys had 19 of the top 20 players(inaudible)?

A. Yeah, I mean, it's the depth of the men's tennis, I think I talked about it the other day, it's pretty thick right now. You have guys, you know, you have a lucky loser still in it in the semis. This is a guy who lost in the qualifying tournament is now in the semis of the big show. So it's, I mean, that is an example in itself. And we had another lucky loser who was still playing last night, Saulnier. So, you know, they lost in the qualifying tournament but then made significant progress in the real deal, so that is enough evidence in itself.

Q. What is your better weapon right now, your forehand, your serve? What do you think is your strongest weapon right now?

A. My serve is always my strongest weapon, yes. That is definitely what my game resolves around.

Q. Andy, how much did going through this last year sort of put you in a good state of mind in terms of what every injury niggles you might get, you kind of know what it takes to play that many matches in that short of a period of time at this time of year?

A. I think it helps, you know, that people are talking a lot about my schedule being pretty daunting and there is a lot of tennis and, you know. But, I did it last year, you know, and I played a lot of tennis and so, you know, I know that I have done something similar before, maybe not quite as extreme with going to Athens and coming back, but similar nonetheless.

Q. Given that you are one of the two seeds remaining, does that give you a little bit more confidence and does it help make you feel more secure that you do belong in the top (inaudible) and between you and Federer, you guys are coming in and living up to your seedings week after week so?

A. We are getting there. Umm, I don't really look at it as I am playing a seeded player, I am not playing a seeded player; I am playing a professional, you know. Whoever I play tomorrow is aóthey have beaten the seeded players, you know, so they definitely deserve their shot and they deserve to be where they are. So I don't really think about, you know, this guy is ranked this and this guy is ranked that, I try not to think about it to much. I have a player, I figure out how he plays and I deal with it.

Q. So you take him just as seriously?

A. You take every match seriously. I mean, people are too good out here, we were just talking about the depth of mens tennis. I mean, people are too good to over look anything. I think you have to walk into every match, you know, thinking that there is a serious chance that you might lose.

Q. If there is one aspect of your game that you think are you doing better this year than you were a year ago, what would it be?

A. Well a year ago at this time I was playing pretty good.

Q. I know, that is why it is a difficult question?

that last question never got answered lol

Deboogle!.
07-31-2004, 12:35 PM
yeah... they only post part of the transcript, it's really annoying!
=====

Roddick rockets into semifinal
Federer makes it through to other semi

Wimbledon final rematch a step closer

DONOVAN VINCENT
SPORTS REPORTER

Andy Roddick hardly broke a sweat as he used his cannon-like serves, tricky topspin backhands and a relentless work ethic to demolish his opponent last night, taking him one step closer to a final matchup with Wimbledon foe Roger Federer.

Roddick of the U.S., the No.2-ranked player and defending champion at the Tennis Masters Canada tournament, steamrolled over tournament qualifier Jan Hernych of the Czech Republic 6-4, 6-2, in a match that lasted exactly one hour and one second. Roddick plays in the semifinal tonight against Nicolas Kiefer of Germany, who beat Jurgen Melzer 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 last night.

After falling in the first set, Hernych, who beat Gustavo Kuerten the night before, seemed to be rallying back, fighting to 2-2.

But the tide shifted as Roddick broke his serve in the fifth game with a cross-court laser beam that Hernych couldn't handle. It was downhill for Hernych from there.

He had his serve broken three times, while Roddick held serve for the entire match. His fastest serve was clocked at 232 km/h, while Hernych's fastest was 191 km/h.

"My serve has always been my strongest weapon. My game revolves around that," Roddick said after the match.

Roddick and No.1 seed Federer are the only seeds remaining in the tournament. Roddick is 1-6 in head-to-heads against the Swiss star. Federer beat him in the final at Wimbledon this year, but Roddick beat Federer in the semifinals of the Tennis Masters Tournament last year in Montreal.

Roddick said he'd "love to play in a final again against Federer. But that being said, we still have some work to do before we can entertain that prospect," he said, referring to their matches today.

Havok
07-31-2004, 03:13 PM
*sigh* Is Brad really THAT dumb? Picking Sharapova over Myskina :rolleyes: I don't think he knew how much Myskina troubles Maria and their past match results;)

MaitaBaby
07-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Myskina is better than Sharapova, IMO. tsktsk Brad..

Good luck to Andy in the semis. I'm watching Federer's match right now and I think he's going to win. I hope to see a Roddick/Federer final on Sunday! and of course.. I hope Andy will finally be able to win over Federer :)

TinyT
07-31-2004, 06:47 PM
as much as i want andy to win canada, as long as he wins the olympics and/or USO, i'll be a happy camper. ;)

MissPovaFan
07-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Myskina is better than Sharapova, IMO. tsktsk Brad..

Good luck to Andy in the semis. I'm watching Federer's match right now and I think he's going to win. I hope to see a Roddick/Federer final on Sunday! and of course.. I hope Andy will finally be able to win over Federer :)

Whilst I totally love Sharapova as my fav female player, I do agree that Myskina is overall the better player-I totally love Myskina's style of play and grace.

Nishy
08-01-2004, 12:45 AM
Andy vs Roger final again!

Go Andy!

tangerine_dream
08-01-2004, 01:08 AM
:woohoo: :dance: :bounce: :banana: :woohoo:
ANOTHER ANDY & ROGER FINAL COMING RIGHT UP !!!!!!
:woohoo: :dance: :bounce: :banana: :woohoo:

**orgasms**
:smoke: aaaaaahhhhh! :smoke:

Havok
08-01-2004, 01:16 AM
considering the tradition of TMS Canada, so have a record like Andy does deserves a :worship: QF, F, W, F/WIN

tangerine_dream
08-01-2004, 03:08 AM
I just went into the Fed forum and personally begged Roger to please let Andy defend his Toronto title. :unsure: :lol: I have a lot of confidence that Andy can win this, but I need him to win for two reasons: 1) Andy must defend his points/title as Roger did at Wimby; and most importantly, 2) I reallyreallyreally want a decent rivalry to be borne between these two. If Roger beats Andy again it's just not going to happen. :sad:

star
08-01-2004, 03:13 AM
It's like Affirmed and Alydar. :)

I'll bet that post made you popular over there.

Anyway, he and Mirka are at a soccer game tonight. I think that lets you know that Federer feels very very very very very confident about tomorrow. :)

Nishy
08-01-2004, 03:16 AM
I watched Andy vs. Kiefer match tonight.
Andy hit some shot that went to Kiefer's body and some people in GM said Kiefer was pissed off. I hope it is not going to big issue because I am very tired of reading Andy's bashing comment in GM.

I always worry Andy's power play style. Sometimes it doesn't look natural. Hope he just has natural power more than other players and the power doesn't cause injury.
I really want him to keep healthy and to play more flexibile and variety style.
I know I might expect him too much though. lol

star
08-01-2004, 03:20 AM
I read that too Nishy. That was so ridiculous.

The first shot was an overhead that Andy barely got his racket on.

On match point, Andy was off the court and Kiefer ran into the shot thinking that it was going down the line and was racing to cover that shot.

tangerine_dream
08-01-2004, 04:24 AM
I'm surprised nobody in GM called for Andy's head on a plate when Kiwi got nailed by that overhead. But Andy *did* apologize for it, afterall. Still, that doesn't take away the fact that Andy is Satan's spawn and must go straight to hell. :p

And Nishy, I would advise you and other Andy fans here who hate the negativity to avoid GM when you see this message in the morning. WWIII has broken out thank to TF (Bobby Stardog) bumping up all the anti-Andy threads and it's a disaster in there now. The funny part is that star mocked TFs thread-bumping by bumping up some of the *positive* Andy threads and now some of the Andy-haters are mad at HER! :rolleyes: The comedy in GM just never ends. BTW, star, great job with the annoyance factor. :yeah: :worship:

Fedex already hates me but he hates me even more now because I begged Roger to lose to Andy tomorrow. Just this once Roger. Please? You know I love you. :)

Nishy
08-01-2004, 04:38 AM
And Nishy, I would advise you and other Andy fans here who hate the negativity to avoid GM when you see this message in the morning. WWIII has broken out thank to TF (Bobby Stardog) bumping up all the anti-Andy threads and it's a disaster in there now. The funny part is that star mocked TFs thread-bumping by bumping up some of the *positive* Andy threads and now some of the Andy-haters are mad at HER! :rolleyes: The comedy in GM just never ends. BTW, star, great job with the annoyance factor. :yeah: :worship:

Fedex already hates me but he hates me even more now because I begged Roger to lose to Andy tomorrow. Just this once Roger. Please? You know I love you. :)

I sometimes think it is funny to see you Andy fan and Andy haters argue but sometimes haters comments are just no sense and ridiculous. But you guys handle it very nicely and with enjoyment that I like it. :worship:

Anyway, WWIII is :haha:

J. Corwin
08-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Tomorrow's match is gonna be yummy. :drool:

MaitaBaby
08-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Good luck to Andy tommorow!
And I agree with Tangy.. He does have to win this for him and Roger to become real rivals :bigclap:

superpinkone37
08-01-2004, 06:18 AM
cant wait till tomorrows final. do u know what time they will be showing it and where? i hope its not tape delay....

RoddickBabe10
08-01-2004, 07:05 AM
superpink, tomorrow's match will be at 2 PT/5ET, I think on ESPN (or try ESPN2 if I'm wrong) hehe

superpinkone37
08-01-2004, 07:20 AM
yeah i just found this info out while watching my taped version of todays match and posted it a different thread, lol thanks for confirming though

MaitaBaby
08-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I have to wake up at 2AM tomorrow to watch Andy's game! It'll be worth it of course! :)

Deboogle!.
08-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Andy Roddick - July 31

(partial transcript)

ATP: Okay, tomorrow it is the first one versus two final here since 1995 when number one Agassi, number two Sampras played. And tomorrow Andy is attempting to become the first player to repeat in Canada since Agassi in 94/95. All right questions for Andy.

Q. He is a difficult player, plays a good all?round game. He gave you some questions to answer, didnít he?

A. Yeah, you know, he had me on love?40 in one game in the first set, but I think I contributed a couple doubles to that. Umm, I felt I was a little spotty in the first set and he kind of donated his serve there at the end. I didnít play a great game and he kind of maybe played maybe a little of a tight game. But I felt pretty comfortable in the second set.

Q. Andy the way he volleys it is almost as if he is trying to be cool or casual or something, he doesnít really go after it and necessarily put it away. Are you aware of that and do you sort of chase him down a little more than you might because you sort of know he doesnít really smack it that well?

A. Umm, I donít think so. I think he is more of a placement and depth vollier than a pace vollier. I donít know about cool and casual, that is not for me to sit here and say, only he knows that. But he is definitely more of a placement vollier than, you know, a stick vollier.

Q. Talk about playing Roger tomorrow, how eager you are to play him again after Wimbledon?

A. Yeah, I am exited, you know. It is what we kind of live for as athletes, you know, to play against the best and try the prove yourself. And I am exited, you know, I am ready to go.

Q. Have you been watching any of his matches this week?

A. Yeah, a little bit. I watched some today and I watched some earlier in the week and it is no surprise that he is still playing good tennis.

Q. What percentage when you play him is tactics and what percentage is just plain execution likeó

A. I think we both, we both handle our tactics pretty well. I think a lot of it is execution, you know, we know, we know kind of what we need to do. Umm, you know, I felt we both executed our game plans pretty well at Wimbledon and he just did on some big points and came up with some big shots. So that is kind of what I am going to try to tomorrow.

Q. How much greater an advantage will it be for you playing on this surface rather than grass?

A. Umm, we will see. You know, umm, I definitely feel Roger is, you know, the creme?de?la?crŤme on grass, you know, and I have kind of, I established myself as one of top guys on hard courts over the last year. So I probably feel a little bit more comfortable on this surface.

Q. You at all worried having come through sort of the night part of the schedule and he has come through the day part, have you been through this before? Can it be a problem?

A. Yeah, I mean it is a little bit of a factor to be honest. I mean, to play all nights and then have to kind of totally switch up what you got, what your mojo is, what your groove, you know, whatever groove you have been working all week. It is a little different, but, you know, I still got to put balls on the court regardless of what happens. I mean, I think it has been fair. It has been great up to this point because, you know, I havenít had a quick turn around especially with all the rain and stuff, so, you know, I am thankful to have the opportunity to talk about it, if that makes sense.
Q. Have you had many chances to talk this week casually or anythingó

A. Yeah, we have talked a couple of times. You know, we are right across our lockers are right across from each other, so. I saw him at dinner last night and we get along fine. We have pretty good time whenever we chat with each.

Q. At the end of your match I noticed you acknowledged your cheering sections up top. Are you aware of this during the course of the match or do you block it all outó
A. They are all cousins. No, I can hear it. It a kind of hard not to when it is dead silent and they are chanting and doing their thing and having fun. You know, I like to see fans like that. I mean regardless if they are for me or against me. I remember in Miami this year the Argentinian fans came out and they were crazy for Coria. And, you know, I could still respect it, I thought it was great. You know, I like that kind of atmosphere.

Q. Andy, it seemed at Wimbledon you came out and went right after him early, I think there were five games before the first rain break, I canít remember what it was. And then it kind of changed a bit after that. Would it be reasonable to assume you will after himtomorrow?

A. Oh I have to. I mean you canít sit back an wait for Roger to give you something, you know. But at the same time I donít know if I will kind of go out in the blaze of glory that I did at Wimbledon. That was kind of feeling the moment a little bit and I was pretty much unconscious that first set. It was over and I felt like I had woken up afterwards. But you have to just, you know, kind of force yourself on Roger. If you sit back and just wait for him to do his stuff then it is probably going to end up being a disappointing day.

Q. You and Roger in the semis last year, you are the defending champion. Do you feel particularly confident playing in Canada?

A. To be honest, I think, I feel comfortable playing on hard courts. You know, I have had a great run here in Canada the last two years and now this year as well. So there is probably something to it. But, you know, I feel like this is probably my favourite time of the year with my favourite surface and, you know, I donít know, maybe there is something there.

Q. Andy, weíve talked all week about how deep this tour is, I mean, you guys are the only seeds to really survive. What is the biggest difference between you guys, you and Roger, and the rest of the field? Like how big is that gap do you think?

A. Nothing, right. Umm, I donít know. I think it is more along the lines of we have been playing wellóI mean he has been playing well all year, I have kind of picked up my game the last couple of months. I am not sure, I mean, everybody out here can play tennis everybody out here can play tennis very well. A lot of it is just between the ears and who has confidence at the moment, and right now I think, you know, we are a couple of most confident players on tour.