Q - Robredo
Escude - F. Lopez
Q - Roddick

darika
07-24-2004, 08:56 PM
why roddick is so lucky?

Aurora
07-24-2004, 10:43 PM
Kiefer in current form won't be an easy prey, good test to see where he is.

:shrug: I can't see so much luck in roddick's draw, ok a qualifier, but nothing is easy, especially in a TMS.

PennyThePenguin
07-25-2004, 05:00 AM
USO 2002? i hope not... hope the new training regime pays dividends

alesya
07-25-2004, 10:42 AM
that's really a big test to Marat....Kiefer enters the final again..

anyway, good luck to Marat! :D

spikeys_girl
07-25-2004, 10:43 AM
good luck to Safin.
He's also going to play the doubles event, and his partner is going to be the argentinian David Nalbandian. In the first round, they're going to play against the two Israelis - Andy Ram and Jonathan Erlich. It's funny because Marat said that him and Andy Ram are really good friends...

nicolas19
07-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Hope that Marat will won this first match........I saw the new photo and I think that he is in a great form.......
And I must that i'm very happy that marat plays the double with nalbandian because they are for me the most talented men on the tour!!!!!!! :worship:

spikeys_girl
07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
hahah. It's sure gonna be a though match for both of the sides... good luck to all of them:). I love Andy and Jonathan very much but also Marat and Nalbandian so I'm just going to hope it's going to be a good match:)!

Shadow
07-25-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah thats really funny:D

Marat and David are also a great doubles combination :yeah: Go Boys!

spikeys_girl
07-25-2004, 01:09 PM
yeah thats really funny:D

Marat and David are also a great doubles combination :yeah: Go Boys!

yep that's true. both are great players.

Cris
07-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Marat plays doubles on monday:

Grandstand
Starts 11am
Juan Ignacio Chela vs Xavier Malisse
Igor Andreev vs Sargis Sargsian
Robin Soderling vs Thomas Enqvist
David Nalbandian/Marat Safin vs Jonathan Erlich/Andy Ram

Vamos!!

li'l red
07-26-2004, 03:15 AM
goodluck marat!!! ;)

junekidd
07-26-2004, 09:19 AM
good luck marat! hope he can win this tournament. also hope he is happy in double! david and marat, they are very suitable! come on boys! ;)

Shadow
07-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Vamos Marat and David! :clap2:

Aleksa's Laydee
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
good luck marat and david :D

Vass
07-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Marat has a lot work to do in the first round. Kiefer just reached a final.

tall_one
07-26-2004, 04:46 PM
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag/smiley-1443.png

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Safin/Nalbandian are on court now!

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-26-2004, 11:34 PM
well, thats that...they lost 6-4, 1-6, 2-6 :sad:
at least they'll be able to concentrate on singles now!

junekidd
07-27-2004, 01:14 AM
yeah, they lost in double. but I had not had any expectancy on his double. hope he played happily with david!
the OP of 27th:
Stadium
Matches Start At:
11:00 AM
Lleyton HEWITT (AUS)
vs
Rafael NADAL (ESP)
NOT BEFORE 1:00 PM
Julien BENNETEAU (FRA)
vs
Andy RODDICK (USA)
Marat SAFIN (RUS)
vs
Nicolas KIEFER (GER)
NOT BEFORE 7:30 PM
Roger FEDERER (SUI)
vs
Hicham ARAZI (MAR)
Mikhail YOUZHNY (RUS)
vs
David NALBANDIAN (ARG)

junekidd
07-27-2004, 01:20 AM
kiefer had just reached the final of RCA, he must be tired, also he lost the final, so he must be frustrated. I hope marat could take advantage of them!

PennyThePenguin
07-27-2004, 08:55 AM
NICKIIII!!! i like that smiley!!!! how did u do that!!!!!

tall_one
07-27-2004, 09:17 AM
http://www.smiliegenerator.com/ :)

Shadow
07-27-2004, 11:48 AM
too bad for the doubles loss. Would have been nice if they could have made some rounds.

spikeys_girl
07-27-2004, 12:04 PM
yeah, they lost...
good luck to Erlich and Ram in doubles, and good luck to david and marat in singles..

Crystal702
07-28-2004, 02:59 AM
The tournament is in a rain delay, which means the Federer-Arazi match will resume tomorrow afternoon (Fed leading 6-3, first set). According to Cliff Drysdale, the Safin-Kiefer match will follow. It leads me to believe that ESPN will broadcast it. I certainly hope so! ;)

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-28-2004, 03:05 AM
just my luck, if they do broadcast it i'm gonna miss it :mad: i'll be at work...grr!!!!!

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Marats on next, is anyone watching ESPN? are they airing his match?

BelgianWaffle
07-28-2004, 08:43 PM
where is everybody running to when marat plays? ;)
in a chat somewhere?

Tennis Fool
07-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I'm here :wavey:

Marat victim to another bad draw to the current USHC King :sad:

And he apparently hurt his ankle. :sad: :sad:

Good news is that he has no points to defend, and with players like Schuettler going out early, may still have a chance for the top 10 by default.

Maybe he should have played a warmup like LA :shrug:

PennyThePenguin
07-29-2004, 01:50 AM
And he apparently hurt his ankle. :sad: :sad:

Good news is that he has no points to defend, and with players like Schuettler going out early, may still have a chance for the top 10 by default.

i really hope it wasn't anything serious. and the points thing is what most of us have been saying all year......... so..... hmm...

Tennis Fool
07-29-2004, 02:18 AM
Safin says he's okay.

PennyThePenguin
07-29-2004, 02:26 AM
oh good...he better be.
thanks!

li'l red
07-29-2004, 03:18 AM
marat :sobbing:
i feel really bad coz i was so looking forward to this tourney....

but well, at least he tried hard and he's optimistic... ;)
like he said... there are many other tournaments coming...
pls pls play well on those... three consecutive first round losses would
be kinda hard to accept..

Vass
07-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Oh. Again. I can't stand this much longer.

Shadow
07-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Colourful Safin talks about hippos, monkeys and zebras after loss

Wed Jul 28, 7:07 PM ET

DAN RALPH

TORONTO (CP) - Leave it to Marat Safin to spice things up a little at the $2.5-million US Tennis Masters Series Canada event.

The colourful Russian was a first-round casualty Wednesday, with German Nicolas Kiefer defeating the 15th-seeded Safin in a hard-fought, three-set match. Safin, who earlier this year expressed his disgust with Wimbledon (news - web sites)'s grass courts and at another tournament dropped his shorts during a match, was on his best behaviour at centre court at the Rexall Centre. But he quickly got off on a tangent during his post-game news conference.

Safin, the 2000 Tennis Masters Series Canada champion, was asked how he's different now than he was during his last visit here two years ago, when the reporter suggested the Russian seemed to be fighting himself a lot.

"I'm not fighting with myself," he said. "Oh my God, that's how I am."

Then came vintage Safin.

"You know the story about the hippo?," he said. "The hippo comes to the monkey and said, 'Listen, I'm not a hippo.'

"He said but he's still a hippo. He said, but look at you, you're painted like a zebra but you are a hippo. So then he goes, you know, like I want to be a leopard. So he put the colours on him and he comes to the monkey and said, 'But, sorry, you are a hippo.'

"So, in the end, he comes and said, 'I'm happy to be a hippo.' This is who I am so I have to be who I am and he's happy being a hippo."

Then Safin, the 2000 U.S. Open (news - web sites) champion, proceeded to translate his bizarre opening statements.

"I'm happy with the way I am, that's me, that's my tennis," he said. "I'm not fighting anything and I'm just trying to play and I'm trying to have fun.

"Sometimes I have ups, sometimes I have downs. But I'm trying, you know, to make my life easier and enjoy it but it's a difficult job."

Pro tennis might be a difficult occupation, but Safin is managing quite nicely.

He is presently ranked No. 14 in the world and came into this tournament having won $808,383 US this year. Over his career, Safin has bankrolled nearly $9.5 million US, which isn't too shabby for a 24-year-old who now calls Monaco home.

But Safin said he wouldn't trade places with Switzerland's Roger Federer, the top seed here and world's top-ranked player. Federer has won seven ATP titles this year, including the Australian Open (news - web sites) and Wimbledon, and has earned over $3 million US.

"No, I would not enjoy it," Safin said. "I will not enjoy his life, he will not enjoy mine.

"I like the life I have. It could be better, that's why I'm here and I'm trying to improve myself and I'm sure Roger also wants to be better in some way. Not on the court, he can't be any better on the court but he also, you know (has) the weak points."

Aurora
07-29-2004, 11:48 PM
ok, I just got home and saw the result. mixed feelings, but I guess the only way is up and this next quote (right after the Hippo-story) keeps me optimistic!

So, you know, you have to work on yourself. Of course you get pissed, you get frustrated because you're not winning the matches but also, you know, I'm here to for the moment to be -- to be there when I'm going to win, and I want to create this moment and I'm working myself and I'm getting pissed at myself, of course, because I want to improve and I want to be better and I want to win tournaments as well as other 128 guys who are going to be in the U.S. Open and 32 guys here right now. That's life.

LCeh
07-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Hey guys, I was there today, and I saw Safin and Peter practising over at the practice courts. He looked pretty good, I don't think the injury is anything big. :)

nicolas19
07-30-2004, 10:50 AM
ok, I just got home and saw the result. mixed feelings, but I guess the only way is up and this next quote (right after the Hippo-story) keeps me optimistic!

yeah.....this hippo story is very funny!LOL ;)
oh Marat...you are totaly the best! :worship:

Shadow
07-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I was there today, and I saw Safin and Peter practising over at the practice courts. He looked pretty good, I don't think the injury is anything big. :)

thanks for that :yeah: its good news.

I`m surprised Marat is still there in Toronto.

junekidd
07-30-2004, 11:52 AM
maybe he is waiting for the tourney to cincinnati...hope he is happy and not be affected much by the loss...