How will Gasquet do in 2009? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How will Gasquet do in 2009?

groundstroke
09-27-2008, 11:59 AM
After having such a poor year (yet.... he can still win 2 AMS titles and few more MM titles), how will Gasquet do next year? The once hot-tipped "Baby Federer" hasn't been performing very well..

Jozie
09-27-2008, 01:35 PM
After having such a poor year (yet.... he can still win 2 AMS titles and few more MM titles), how will Gasquet do next year? The once hot-tipped "Baby Federer" hasn't been performing very well..

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=131942&page=3

Quite evident how you feel given your comments on GM. :rolleyes:

Cin
09-27-2008, 01:51 PM
just like he said before, this season is not finished yet

Eliande
09-27-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=131942&page=3

Quite evident how you feel given your comments on GM. :rolleyes:

Probably a Murray fan.:devil:

Schu
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Well it can't be much worse than 2008, although Richie could pull a Nalbandian and really tear it up at the end of this year.:rolleyes:

I just hope he can have some nice wins against quality players in what is left of the year. Richie seems to really feed off success and that hasn't been happening much this year. I think this disappointing year will either motivate him to work and focus in a way he never has and we will see some magical moments from Richie or it will crush him and 2009 becomes more of the same. I just hope Peyre hangs in with him and doesn't get frustrated because I really think he is good for Richie.

Pepi.
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
slumpgasquet :sobbing:

hopefully better!

I still believe :)

groundstroke
09-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Probably a Murray fan.:devil:
I don't really like Andy Murray and that's called trolling.

reggie1
12-28-2008, 10:18 PM
2009 can only be better. I feel quite positive and optimistic as it seems he has really worked hard in the off season. I think 2008 was a wake up call for him in terms of fitness and mental strength. I really hope he pulls it together and just enjoys his tennis again.

richie21
01-30-2009, 12:22 AM
2009 can only be better. I feel quite positive and optimistic as it seems he has really worked hard in the off season. I think 2008 was a wake up call for him in terms of fitness and mental strength. I really hope he pulls it together and just enjoys his tennis again.

Well,so far it's not,at least in the big tournaments.
I mean,he got further in the AO last year,being only eliminated by the future AO finalist(Tsonga).

*MJP*
01-30-2009, 01:16 AM
I think that this year is only going to get better for Richie. He fought hard during the match with Gonzo - even if you deny it. He did well in Brisbane & Sydney too. I expect to see him climb back up the rankings this year, considering he doesn't have many points to defend in the second half of the year.

rina
01-30-2009, 01:30 AM
break into the top 20?

*MJP*
01-30-2009, 01:49 AM
break into the top 20?
Hopefully:)

simplet
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
The problem is that he chose an awful time to have a slump...
His situation is pretty much opposite to simon's and Del Potro's : Simon has been piling up a ton of points in MM tournaments last year, especially at the end of the year, so as to have a big seed in all the big tournaments that give points this year. As the year passes, he can gain some important points in the big tournaments without meeting players too well ranked in the first rounds, and he'll have enough to compensate the loss of points in the little tournaments at the end of the year (even if he wins all those tounaments again, he'll still lose points since they're worth pretty much nothing now).

On the other hand, Gasquet has a poor ranking right now, meaning that he'll face tough opponents in the first rounds of the slams, masters series, ATP500, etc... He can't really use the smaller tournaments to boost his ranking : he had two semi-finals in a row at the beginning of the year, in tough tournaments with lots of good players, and he pretty much gained nothing... He lost one round earlier than last year at the AO, and he lost a few places in the rankings.

richie21
01-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I think that this year is only going to get better for Richie. He fought hard during the match with Gonzo - even if you deny it. He did well in Brisbane & Sydney too. I expect to see him climb back up the rankings this year, considering he doesn't have many points to defend in the second half of the year.

The problem is that at this rate,he'll have to face top players in every first rounds of the upcoming tournaments(apart the very small ones) and frankly,do you see him beat guys like Federer,Nadal or Murray at his current level??? Not me anyway.
And i certainly don't want this year to be a year where we'll be satisfied with "good" first round losses again one of the top 4 players.

Puschkin
01-30-2009, 11:25 AM
The problem is that he chose an awful time to have a slump...
While it is true that the change of the ranking system disfavours Richard, and favours others who earned there major points in the second half of 2008, I don't care that much about ranking. 25 or 12is that really so different?

If Richard can transfer his level and attitude of the Gonzalez-match into the rest of the season, the ranking problem will sort out itself.

richie21
01-30-2009, 11:58 AM
While it is true that the change of the ranking system disfavours Richard, and favours others who earned there major points in the second half of 2008, I don't care that much about ranking. 25 or 12is that really so different?

If Richard can transfer his level and attitude of the Gonzalez-match into the rest of the season, the ranking problem will sort out itself.

He'll have to play better than against Gonzalez if he wants to improve his ranking now.
I mean,with his current ranking,he'll probably have to face only top 10 players(if not top 4 players) in the first rounds of the upcoming tournaments.

lisaplenske
01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree with Puschkin

look at verdasco, what was his ranking before AO??he had to play murray early and he beat him, then tsonga,and now battling in a fifth set against nadal(n°1)
I mean who care about the ranking?when you play amazingly well you just keep wining and winning again.
Verdasco is a good example of what confidence can bring to a very talented player seen as "an average" top20 player.

We all know that a confident gasquet is capable of, and one day, hopefully very soon,he 'll transpose his talent on results,maybe at rotterdam?:angel:

reggie1
01-30-2009, 12:50 PM
look at verdasco, what was his ranking before AO??he had to play murray early and he beat him, then tsonga,and now battling in a fifth set against nadal(n°1)
I mean who care about the ranking?when you play amazingly well you just keep wining and winning again.
Verdasco is a good example of what confidence can bring to a very talented player seen as "an average" top20 player.

We all know that a confident gasquet is capable of, and one day, hopefully very soon,he 'll transpose his talent on results,maybe at rotterdam?:angel:
:worship:

Puschkin
01-30-2009, 01:02 PM
I mean who care about the ranking

The only position in ranking which is relevant is Number 1, that makes a difference, but more psychologically than anything else. If I remember correctly, Nadal did not win a tournament since he became nr.1. :p

And of course good ranking gives you better schedules. The top players don't have to fight it out in plain heat at 1.00 am on a side-court.

simplet
01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree with Puschkin

Yeah I mean obviously if you play "amazingly well" and beat everyone 6-0 6-0, your ranking is gonna improve. But then if you're that good nothing is going to really matter is it? You could be ranked 400th in the world and win the golden slam with a wild card for the AO's qualies, so there's nothing to discuss. But you have to keep your expectations realistic, at least for a time. If he becomes a tennis god, then that's it.

That said even Verdasco is not such a good example. he was not really an average top 20, he was seeded 13, which mean that he didn't face a seed higher than number 22 before the 4th round. Maybe if Gasquet had not injured himself battling against Gonzalez in the 3rd round he would have teared up his draw? who knows? He never had the chance since he was gone. Verdasco got the chance to play a few matches that he won convincingly and to build his confidence and to get into the tournament. Even then it was too much and he couldn't keep up with Nadal in the last set, losing with 2 DFs. Plus you only have 4 slams to hit big, and one of them is gone. Just watch Gulbis, the kid has got the worst luck with draws, and he's still stuck being I don't know, number 50 in the world, while he should be where Del Potro is.

my0118
01-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Whatever his ranking is, I love his style of play. He's such a talented player and great to watch. But at first, I was really, badly hoping for him to be one of the greatest players. But after becoming his fan, I finally get that he would be either the one who has a great talent but not a strong mentality or the one who fulfills his all potential. And I tend to lean on the first one after watching him for several years.

Don't expect him too much, he occasionally gives us some great matches.
I'll just watch him play.

Honestly, I think there are so many optimists about him in his fan's forum. I know we are all his fans, but we should be aware of what his problems are by far judging from his results and rankings.

reggie1
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
That is certainly true of Gulbis and I say that as a fan. That boy has the worst draws ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lisaplenske
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah I mean obviously if you play "amazingly well" and beat everyone 6-0 6-0, your ranking is gonna improve. But then if you're that good nothing is going to really matter is it? You could be ranked 400th in the world and win the golden slam with a wild card for the AO's qualies, so there's nothing to discuss. But you have to keep your expectations realistic, at least for a time. If he becomes a tennis god, then that's it.

That said even Verdasco is not such a good example. he was not really an average top 20, he was seeded 13, which mean that he didn't face a seed higher than number 22 before the 4th round. Maybe if Gasquet had not injured himself battling against Gonzalez in the 3rd round he would have teared up his draw? who knows? He never had the chance since he was gone. Verdasco got the chance to play a few matches that he won convincingly and to build his confidence and to get into the tournament. Even then it was too much and he couldn't keep up with Nadal in the last set, losing with 2 DFs. Plus you only have 4 slams to hit big, and one of them is gone. Just watch Gulbis, the kid has got the worst luck with draws, and he's still stuck being I don't know, number 50 in the world, while he should be where Del Potro is.

I dont think I'm not realistic when I point that kind of position concerning richard cause we all see that he's kind of "special" because of his incredible talent but when I say that if he can keep playing amazingly well like we saw him during his match against gonzales , his confidence can grew up and he could build something on that match.
I mean I took verdasco as an example cause I want to point the fact that tennis is not something easy to determine, like you know when I hear people saying richard hasnt won a master serie yet, he's bad ranked right now so a big seed quite early during a slam, he has no chance etc... I say No. You cant predict he wont be able to bring the best of him in big occasions like verdasco did this week.
And yes the spanish was seen by many there as a real wasted talent cause he wasnt achieving what his talent can give him to realize.
Many said that is it because he has no mental but when I saw his terrific match today against nadal I keep thinking why hasnt he played with so much fire before?!!the guy has BIG mental strengh for sure!

it all depends on the player I would say.Yes one slam is gone but what interest me there is more what "step forward" can richard do after that first part of the season?what the other players do dont interest me to be honest,we're talking about richard progress there.
Of course we prefer him to be better ranked because of the draw rules,advantages etc but like we use to say "Rome hasnt been built in one day" so yeah you can call me a huge optimistic fan but I prefer to be like that by believing in him,that he still can have a great career.A very respectable one.
He really have to believe in himself.Thats the most important imo.Then the results will come.

richie21
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Whatever his ranking is, I love his style of play. He's such a talented player and great to watch. But at first, I was really, badly hoping for him to be one of the greatest players. But after becoming his fan, I finally get that he would be either the one who has a great talent but not a strong mentality or the one who fulfills his all potential. And I tend to lean on the first one after watching him for several years.

Don't expect him too much, he occasionally gives us some great matches.
I'll just watch him play.

Honestly, I think there are so many optimists about him in his fan's forum. I know we are all his fans, but we should be aware of what his problems are by far judging from his results and rankings.

And they say i had ridiculous expectations for him!:eek:
Personnally,at first,i was badly hoping he would win a Slam and some Master Series......but no need to say that even asking him to win a MS was apparently too much.....:rolleyes:

simplet
01-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Personnally,at first,i was badly hoping he would win a Slam and some Master Series......but no need to say that even asking him to win a MS was apparently too much.....:rolleyes:

That's very interesting, what a novel point of view... tell us more...

Vlad1980
01-31-2009, 12:30 AM
The problem is that at this rate,he'll have to face top players in every first rounds of the upcoming tournaments(apart the very small ones) and frankly,do you see him beat guys like Federer,Nadal or Murray at his current level??? Not me anyway.
And i certainly don't want this year to be a year where we'll be satisfied with "good" first round losses again one of the top 4 players.

Why do you keep comparing him to those guys? He will be around 27, 28 next week and those guys are all elite top players. Is Richard better than his ranking? Well, we don't know now for sure, he will have to prove it otherwise this year. So far his 3R loss (32 players left) is indicative of his ranking and that given he had relatively soft draw. But either way, rankings do not make that big of a difference and one good run at Masters can easily bring him to top 15 or even better given he has very little points to defend now until Wimbledon. He should rather concentrate on keep improving his game in the right direction because so far this year he has shown signs of good play but also a lot of things to needs to get better at if he wants to go higher.

EternalxJourney
01-31-2009, 01:49 AM
The only position in ranking which is relevant is Number 1, that makes a difference, but more psychologically than anything else. If I remember correctly, Nadal did not win a tournament since he became nr.1. :p

And of course good ranking gives you better schedules. The top players don't have to fight it out in plain heat at 1.00 am on a side-court.

Push, I hope that's not a jinx on Roger. :p

EternalxJourney
01-31-2009, 01:59 AM

I know you're extremely frustrated with Richie not living up to his potential, as I'm sure all of his fans are, but at some point, you gotta realize we can't help him get a bigger FH or stronger mental toughness. All we can do is be happy when he does well and support him when he's down. Take a chill pill dude and whatever happens, happens.

*MJP*
01-31-2009, 09:11 AM
I know you're extremely frustrated with Richie not living up to his potential, as I'm sure all of his fans are, but at some point, you gotta realize we can't help him get a bigger FH or stronger mental toughness. All we can do is be happy when he does well and support him when he's down. Take a chill pill dude and whatever happens, happens.

Very well said:worship:

richie21
01-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Why do you keep comparing him to those guys? He will be around 27, 28 next week and those guys are all elite top players. Is Richard better than his ranking? Well, we don't know now for sure, he will have to prove it otherwise this year. So far his 3R loss (32 players left) is indicative of his ranking and that given he had relatively soft draw. But either way, rankings do not make that big of a difference and one good run at Masters can easily bring him to top 15 or even better given he has very little points to defend now until Wimbledon. He should rather concentrate on keep improving his game in the right direction because so far this year he has shown signs of good play but also a lot of things to needs to get better at if he wants to go higher.

Because they are players he used to beat or at least to trouble a lot when he was still a teenager!

reggie1
01-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Things change "R" and I really wish you would too. I seriously am starting to think that you are not right in the head. You say the same stuff all the time and we all say the same stuff back to you. Aren't you bored yet because I know am and I have only been on these boards since September? You seem to have been having the same conversation on here for years. I don't know many other people who would act like you and I'm not joking. You seriously need to move on from this disappointment that you feel for your sake, more than ours. The funny thing is, is as much as you annoy me/make me laugh sometimes I don't actually dislike you and wish that you would act like a fan (who can feel positive sometimes and upset/sad/disappointed at Richard's performance at others) rather than some vitriolic venemous stalker type who feels that they have been badly let down. There are hardly any French people on Richard's boards and it would be really nice to talk about French tennis with somebody who is knowledgable and to be fair, you actually are. Could you not take off those black doom and gloom glasses for a while and just enjoy Gasquet's tennis and cheer for him even when he is having a bad time? No, he has not fulfilled people's expectations,far from it but he is still a great guy who plays great tennis and is on a learning curve. If you could do that, I think you would be a welcome addition on this board. You say we are deluded which I think is unfair, we do criticise him often on here, just not in such a nasty negative way like you. You are way over the top. You said that nobody on GM starts threads on Richard anymore and that's why you come here, (you said it during a livescore) well, carry on like this and you will have nobody to discuss Richard with as people really will just ignore you. I have over the last week or so and don't know why I bothered tonight as I know what I have said will go in one ear and out the other. :shrug:

gasguet#1
01-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Well said Vicky.... couldn't have said it any better myself!

Lets hope "R" will take it on board of what you have said, loved the bit about the Doom & Gloom Glasses:devil:

Bit different way then how I reply to R, Your got far more tact.... I get so Peeved & tell him to take Prozac or do us a favour & go & play chicken on the highway & hopefully he might get some sense knocked into him & see the light!

Last week when a few said about the ignore feature.... Thought I needed a Chill Pill & took the ignore option so I wouldn't get all hot under the collar from his postings.... In a funny sort of way miss the dripple & constant one way traffik with his so so negative messages..... Life is bad enough at times so I don't do Negative in 2009.... Its onwards & upwards.....
& I fully believe it's like that for Richie with his career as well

& here is me at the other end of the scale & won't have a bad word said about Richie & always are looking for positives to take away from each time he steps out onto court,

If life was just a bit easier at times, My name was Tinkerbelle & I went Abbracadabra, & The real Richie that we love to watch could cast his spell over the whole Tennis World & be on his way to becoming one of the all time greats

BTW.... I still think that will happen but am happy to sit & wait & watch the work in progress take whatever steps he needs to join the elite

afrOmig
02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
well his beaten 2 top10 players in his first 2 atp tournmnts of the yr and made the semi's of both
then lost in a tough 5 setter to gonzo in the 3rd rd of oz open

i think his playing well and he just needs more match fitness cos he still cant handle 5 setters

i wish him luck

~*BGT*~
02-01-2009, 03:07 AM
I think Richard will finish 2009 in the top 10. He can gain a MASSIVE amount of points all year for not doing so well in 2008. Last year, he had 1 final, 2 semis, and 1 quarterfinal.... the entire year. :o he can really soar in the rankings if he makes at least the quarters in every event... I think he can do it. :bounce:

orangehat
02-01-2009, 03:17 AM
He just has to realise that he can do it! And I'm sure he can! :bounce:

j'adore_richie
02-02-2009, 01:15 AM
yay...finally some optimists. Honestly, after seeing his play during the aus season I am quietly confident about his year ahead. I think something might have finally clicked in his brain. In that Gonzo match he fought and fought and fought and didn't capitulate like he normally does. Maybe Guillaume has been sending him to a sports pysch...

Plus, I'm sick of the other frenchies getting the hype now...and how everyone goes on about how talented Tsonga and Monfils are. Richard is IMO a much more talented and complete player. Richard just needs to remind the world of how good he is and can be...

*MJP*
02-02-2009, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=j'adore_richie;8105403]yay...finally some optimists. Honestly, after seeing his play during the aus season I am quietly confident about his year ahead. I think something might have finally clicked in his brain. In that Gonzo match he fought and fought and fought and didn't capitulate like he normally does. Maybe Guillaume has been sending him to a sports pysch...

I agree. I believe that he has the most natural talent of all the frenchies. Im also very confident that this year is going to be bigger and better for Richie. Something definately re-clicked for Richie during the Gonzo match he fought & fought for the match, i was reminded of Roddick match at wimby when he came storming back. I think things are looking bright for Richie this year:D

callini deas
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
It was a good start to the year,2 semis and beating 2 top tenners. That should give him some confidence for the rest of the season, losing to Gonzo was a bit disappointing especially after match point but hopefully it wont affect him too much

gasguet#1
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I have always sang the praises of Richie, & It's not will he live up to the hype & all the media attention that he has had to deal with from such a early age...

It's a matter of when..... Have always thought he has so much talent....
It's like he has too much talent or has all the shots that will punish anyone... & once it all comes together he will be up with the big boys at the GS & MC events....

He easily has the most Talent by far of all the Frenchies... & will be the Player they all expect to carry the hopes of France with his results.... & will jump above Gilles, Jo-Wilfred & Gael but how great for France having 4 young stars that are all going to make it big time....

Richie is your typical French Player..... Great Shots... So damn exciting to watch when the game is on..... but if he goes of the boil..... can look like the worst player on the tour, The big difference is the new found confidence & fighting qualities & knowing his game is good enough to mix it with the elite, French players have always had the reputation of when they are on.... Boy are the on..... Flashy, Shotmaking that leaves you shaking your head in aw of the exhibition you see, & over time the results for players like Richie... to me he is so much like Noah & Leconte,
If you look at Noah & Leconte with all they did... they were a bit all over the place..... Never knew which one was walking out on court, & what was going to happen on any given day..... So much like what takes place with Richie... but the new qualities will be the making of him

Now working with Guilliaume he has made so much progress with Richie in changing his game so he can take his game to the next level, & I think we are still 2 years away from Richie living up to the "Baby Federer" tag he has had to carry around since he burst onto the scene at Monte Carlo in 2005..... IMHO, a lot of baggage he has had to carry on top of trying to establish himself on the tour & the constant pressure from the world's media...... He doesn't get enough credit for all the expectations he has had to carry on his shoulders... a lesser player would have walked away from the game

Richie has turned into now a Fighter who will do what ever is possible for a win, play through PAIN, INJURIES, HOSTILE CROWDS, & Do what ever he needs to do.... Sure the results mightn't be falling his way at the moment with these heartbreaking 5 set losses at Grandslams.... But it all stands him in good statue for when the world finally see's the REAL RICHIE....

I can see it in his game, & way he conducts himself on court with the Fired Up Richie like against Gonzo.... He shows so much emotion on the court these days..... Our Richie has changed as a Person.... really matured & not the young up & coming star under the spotlight, I think the coaching from Guilliaume has also made Richie realize what he needs to do......
& this has done so much for him as a person as well.... You can't be anymore Impressed with the in-roads he has made & be so impressed by the changes in Richie

He's no longer Richie the boy;).... He's turned into Richie the Man;)

reggie1
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Bren you are like the antedote to Richie21! :D

Schu
02-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Richie has turned into now a Fighter who will do what ever is possible for a win, play through PAIN, INJURIES, HOSTILE CROWDS, & Do what ever he needs to do.... Sure the results mightn't be falling his way at the moment with these heartbreaking 5 set losses at Grandslams.... But it all stands him in good statue for when the world finally see's the REAL RICHIE....

I can see it in his game, & way he conducts himself on court with the Fired Up Richie like against Gonzo.... He shows so much emotion on the court these days.....

& this has done so much for him as a person as well.... You can't be anymore Impressed with the in-roads he has made & be so impressed by the changes in Richie

He's no longer Richie the boy;).... He's turned into Richie the Man;)

Totally agree and it is truly a delight to see Richie the boy evolve into Richard the classy young man. I just HOPE he STAYS on track. Everyone thought that his big breakthough would be after Wimbledon/Masters 2007 and looked what happened, he fell to unchartered depths. BUT having dealt wih yet another round of high expectations placed upon him after WImbledon AND survived that as well as the ENORMOUS hole he got himself into I really believe he is finally now a stronger and more mature person and player. You could see it in several of his matches this year, the way he carried himself and the way he dealt with the adversitites on the court be it injury, hostile crowds, heat or just not "feeling it". And he seemed more comfortable being himself on the court - free to show more emotion - like his Gonzo dance and his "roars".

He may well have small set backs because nothing is a straight line upward but I believe he can now recover from those detours quicker and stronger. What he will do in 2009 I have no idea but already he has done more than his horrid 2008 in terms of maturity on the court. Now if he can just fix his forehand...

YOU know who I haven't seen or heard from - his Dad. I think once he started with Perye his dad took a back seat - it was time to let Richard go it alone and perhaps Francis realized that too?

I'm looking forward to the rest of this year and beyond, hope Richie is too.

Puschkin
02-02-2009, 03:38 PM
He may well have small set backs because nothing is a straight line upward but I believe he can now recover from those detours quicker and stronger. What he will do in 2009 I have no idea but already he has done more than his horrid 2008 in terms of maturity on the court.
That's what I like: Controlled optimism. :)

YOU know who I haven't seen or heard from - his Dad. I think once he started with Perye his dad took a back seat - it was time to let Richard go it alone and perhaps Francis realized that too?
We don't miss him, do we? :p

manuel84
02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Not just the most gifted among the French players but among all the guys in his era, I think. Regrettable that it was a one-dimensional player like Djoko who broke through in the wake of a Federer struggle and not Gasquet, but what matters is the present and it's cool that he now seems to be more wiling to back up his beautiful game with the level of work ethic and relentlessness that is requisite in winning the big ones.

Also, I had always believed that he needed to drop the unassuming on-court demeanor and show more fire and emotion instead, so it's great to see him finally doing that.:yeah::yeah:

Cloudygirl
02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Not just the most gifted among the French players but among all the guys in his era, I think. Regrettable that it was a one-dimensional player like Djoko who broke through in the wake of a Federer struggle and not Gasquet, but what matters is the present and it's cool that he now seems to be more wiling to back up his beautiful game with the level of work ethic and relentlessness that is requisite in winning the big ones.

Also, I had always believed that he needed to drop the unassuming on-court demeanor and show more fire and emotion instead, so it's great to see him finally doing that.:yeah::yeah:

well if he doesn't sort himself out this year. Come the grass season I am hunting him down :devil:

His talent is far too brilliant to go to waste.

rina
02-03-2009, 01:10 AM
i hope that no matter what that he goes forward (not only in rankings) rather than backwards.
but thats an obvious wish isnt it? :p

gasguet#1
02-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Last year not long after Richie started working with Peyre I posted the same thing about you never see Papa Gasquet anymore, Does look like Francis has gone from the big picture , from time to time you see Richie with his Mum Maryse at a few tournements

It will never be plain sailing following Richie..... Expect the Unexpected & buckle up for the ride!..... it is what makes him so much a great player to watch & follow..... Never a Dull & Boring Moment

You cant ask for more entertainment value then watching all that takes place with Richie

gasguet#1
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
With the new points system for the 2009 Season....... Boy It's almost impossible to make any in-roads in moving up the rankings except if you do well at the slams, or to a lesser degree Master Series 1000 events

With the points drop of etc..... Can't see Richie making any in-roads till he gets to the US for Key Biscayne & Miami....... as long as he does well at Key Biscayne, the only up of this unless Fish has a dream run he is going to loose a heap of points & that will be a way for Richie to move up above him at long last

If Richie has a few wins in Rotterdam & makes the QF.... He will only just get enough points to move one spot in the next lot of rankings!, You really need to either be the Winner, Finalist or Semi Finalist to get decent points

Winner 500, Finalist 300, Semi 180, QF 90, 2R 45, 1R 0,

It's all a bit over the place at the moment with different weeks for tournaments & drop off weeks in carry over points......
Does anyone understand the new system with the events they count? Its a bit too confusing for me to work out..... with the Best of the worst system or is it me who cant work it out?.... :confused::help:

Don't like this new system..... or maybe I can't work out the numbers with my crunching here.....
I can't see how it is supposed to be a better system for all players..... It's looking more like Rafa is going to be on so many points at the end of the year.... as he will be at the business end of the MS 1000 Events & Slams, but if he falls early you seems to loose big time,

reggie1
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Bren you have already educated me so you know more than you think. I don't really understand it either. You could start a thread in GM, Duong one of the french posters seems to have a really good grasp on the points etc.. and he is really helpful and will no doubt reply

~*BGT*~
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Judio explains it very well in the rankings sticky on GM.

groundstroke
05-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Not even I expected Gasquet to do this badly.

Cloudygirl
05-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Not even I expected Gasquet to do this badly.

I don't think anyone did :(

Gretchen.
05-12-2009, 10:18 PM
:sobbing: This really is the worst year of his career...I was hoping for something big this year,you know for him to finally get it together.

Dini
05-12-2009, 10:21 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

This hurts. :sad:

Cloudygirl
05-12-2009, 10:22 PM
well I'm hoping (if he isn't banned) he will come good in 2010. Maybe this will make him realise he likes tennis and he wants to play and win.

Cin
05-12-2009, 10:47 PM
who knows?!

I just watched 3 matches this year(he didnt play so much), the one against Gonzalez and the 1st 2 rounds in Rome. IMO, he still wanted to fight and was happy when he played. he was always fighting there since the beginning of 2009.

we dont know the final ban yet. to be optimistic,maybe he will come back in the 2nd half season, I mean 2009.

Gasquetaires had enough surprises during the last few years. If there's more, I need a good one.

Cloudygirl
who knows?!

I just watched 3 matches this year(he didnt play so much), the one against Gonzalez and the 1st 2 rounds in Rome. IMO, he still wanted to fight and was happy when he played. he was always fighting there since the beginning of 2009.

we dont know the final ban yet. to be optimistic,maybe he will come back in the 2nd half season, I mean 2009.

Gasquetaires had enough surprises during the last few years. If there's more, I need a good one.

Please yes

PinkFeatherBoa
To think that only a week or so earlier, we were lamenting about his cronic injuries- the knee, then shoulder, elbow etc. :sobbing: I almost want the 2008 annus horribilus back, seems so much fun in comparison.

Cloudygirl
05-12-2009, 10:49 PM
To think that only a week or so earlier, we were lamenting about his cronic injuries- the knee, then shoulder, elbow etc. :sobbing: I almost want the 2008 annus horribilus back, seems so much fun in comparison.

Yes I want Murray to beat him in wimby 4th round cos at least he will be playing. I;m still hoping that somehow this is a creative excuse to get out of RG, or a bad dream he will be found innocent and play queens and wimby :(

Gretchen.
05-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes I want Murray to beat him in wimby 4th round cos at least he will be playing. I;m still hoping that somehow this is a creative excuse to get out of RG, or a bad dream he will be found innocent and play queens and wimby :(

:lol: Do you think he would actually go that low just to skip RG...at least I hope that's not the case...I hope this gets done soon and that he is innocent cause he HAS to play Wimby :sobbing:

Cloudygirl
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
What do we realistically think the amount of ban time will be that he gets??

If he has no mitigating circumstances I think 2 years. If he has a reason why it was in his body and he can prove it I think they will reduce the ban, his lawyers will argue no intention to cheat. Looking at previous cases could be anything from 3 months to 15 months. :(

Cin
05-12-2009, 11:01 PM
last year when I was in Roland Garros. I saw Giraldo in the player lounge when I was waiting for his match.
but at least he was training there, we call it "withdraw".
yeah, that's desperate but better than this year.
at least he went to the park for some activities, for signing,etc. we could find him on the tribune.he could still prepare the grass season.

Next week,he will be even forbidden to go there.

yeah, 2008 was better~~

Cin
05-12-2009, 11:04 PM
What do we realistically think the amount of ban time will be that he gets??

it depends on his lawyers.

he said he can prove his innocence, so I'm still optimistic.

If it's 3 months or 6 months, maybe can help him to recover from the injuries and calm down.

Cloudygirl
05-12-2009, 11:20 PM
the tribunal date hasn't been set yet. Might be longer I think.

reggie1
05-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I think even if there are mitigating circumstances (short of a lab error) they will have to be seen to do something and give him a ban because it's coke and it WAS in his system. I don't know really know how Richie can prove these mitigating circumstances but hopefully he will prove me wrong. I am hoping and praying either for no ban which is unrealistic really or just the three months. Hopefully, the people on this tribunal will know Richie a little and know his personality and maybe exercise some leniency given that he's not exactly a bad boy/hell raiser. (I know he parties a bit but probably not a lot more than many of the other players and he is only 22!) Everybody questioned seems to say he is the last person you would expect to do this. But, once this has passed Richard and it will, it's tiddlywinks in your hotel room with Peyre for you from now on, NO MORE PARTIES!