His schedule for the final spurt:

29.9: Metz
6.10: Vienna
13.10: AMS Madrid
20.10: Lyon
27.10: AMS Bercy

Truc
09-27-2008, 03:40 PM
He plays Mahut in the first round, that's a tough 1st round indoors.
The rest looks much easier (the winner of Gicquel-Grannolers in the 2nd round, etc.)

Tutu
09-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Should get through that though.

Allez Gilles!

jitterbug
09-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Allez Gilles :rocker2:

Somebody tell me who made the draw and put Gulbis against Ancic in R1 so I can go kick their collective asses...

Truc
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I know, that part of the draw is just wrong! But really hot.
There is a pic of Gilles on the page about the draw, so he might have attended the draw ceremony.

Here's his half of the draw:
Mario Ancic (CRO)
Ernest Gulbis (LET)
Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)
Jérémy Chardy (FRA)

Qualifié
Agustin Calleri (ARG)
Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)

Andreas Seppi (ITA)
Qualifié
Qualifié
Arnaud Clement (FRA)

Marcel Granollers (ESP)
Marc Gicquel (FRA)
Nicolas Mahut (FRA)
Gilles Simon (FRA)

Truc
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
And in doubles he's playing with Jérémy as expected, they'll play Mario/Ljubo in the 1st round.

jitterbug
09-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I wish I can be in the stadium for the doubles, though I'll be horribly torn :lol: It'd be more ideal if Gillou were to play with Mario and let Jeremy team up with Ljubo :angel:

Truc
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
I wish we would be there indeed because I'm afraid we won't see much of it...
It's too bad, they have a nice field in Metz this year (no withdrawals at all!), I would love to see the first round already. Who needs top 10 players?

Truc
09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
As for Gilles, I think he might be there mainly to support the tournament too (Metz was supposed to be scratched out from the calender last year and the new tournament director, Boutter, really fought hard to keep it alive). I think many players are still friends with Boutter, even Mario said so today.
Gilles seems to be giving tons of interviews around, maybe he's more doing some promotion stuff and getting ready for the indoors season than really playing the event at 100% since he would need to make it to the semi to add some points.

On the other hand, if he gets past Mahut, his draw looks very doable.
Nico won't be easy though, he just won the Orléans Challenger, made the QF of Bangkok and has been playing indoors for a few weeks already, unlike Gilles.

I don't know, but I won't be shocked if he has an early exit. I'm pulling a Grenouille.

jitterbug
09-28-2008, 02:06 AM
It's okay to be pessimistic.. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Grenouille
09-28-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm not pessimistic this time Fran !! ahah
Looking at the draw, I honestly think he'll reach the semis !
Gilles doesn't want to lose against a French guy :D

Truc
09-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not saying you're pessimistic in general anyway. Just wondering like you in Bucharest how badly he wants to win - and that's essential with his kind of game.

But I agree the draw is quite tempting for him now.

It might turn into another Indianapolis, it also was supposed to be a preparation tournament only, he said it a few times, he didn't enter the event wanting to win and ended up winning all these preparation matches.
But that's the point, he was exhausted then for Toronto and especially Cincy.

Truc
09-28-2008, 07:44 AM
It's okay to be pessimistic.. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.Of course it's also a nice feeling not to care if he loses :p, but that's not really how I meant it, I was just thinking loud, as usual. I was not "pulling a Silverwhite".

Guy Haines
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
It's okay to be pessimistic.. Then you can only be pleasantly surprised.

Perfectly phrased. I've always brought that attitude to Nadal matches. For some reason I get more optimistic about my lower-ranked faves, like Gilles and Ernests on the men's side and Szavay :o and Safarova :sad: and Radwanska on the women's.

Gilles has been fun to root for and follow in general (thoughtful and likable in interviews and always a pleasure to look at) this year. I don't think that many people outside of you guys thought he was going to break through at the start of '08. But you could tell from his Australian match with Nadal that he had a good year in store.

If he gets through the first round, things look good in Metz.

gambit84
09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Perfectly phrased. I've always brought that attitude to Nadal matches. For some reason I get more optimistic about my lower-ranked faves, like Gilles and Ernests on the men's side and Szavay :o and Safarova :sad: and Radwanska on the women's.

Gilles has been fun to root for and follow in general (thoughtful and likable in interviews and always a pleasure to look at) this year. I don't think that many people outside of you guys thought he was going to break through at the start of '08. But you could tell from his Australian match with Nadal that he had a good year in store.

If he gets through the first round, things look good in Metz.

Lucie :sad::sad: so talented, so fragile..
She could play an amazing tennis, if only I remember her 2007 but she seems lost and I really can't understand why :sad:

lisaplenske
09-29-2008, 01:55 AM
good luck to gilles in that tournament in home country.

nice initiative from him to help in the tournament promotion,I think that you were right truc to critisize other french players to not play metz,especially richard:(
if he lose to young or other veteran I will throw myself from a building:help::drink:

Allez Gilles go and win the title!

Truc
09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
From the other thread:I know I shouldn't be scared, but Mahut can be impressive sometimes :scared: I remember watch him play on grass and I was simply amazed :scared:

My guesses:
Mahut knows Gilles gets the balls back, so he is going to try to outpower him.. Ig Gillou keeps the rhythm and get the balls back, Mahut is likely to lose patience and make a lot of unforced errors.
Watch out for Mahut using the drop shot as he can be remarkable in that field, while Gillou's getting to the net is not the most brilliant part of his game at all..
Maybe Mahut will find the answers at the net... We'll see how it goes..I'm not scared because I have zero expectations for this tournament, but I agree you should be if you badly want Gillou to win.
Mahut is a very tricky opponent for him in the 1st round imo for many reasons:

- I think they know each other very well (everytime I've seen Gilles practice, it was with Nico, Di saw them practice together in Nottingham too...) So the confusing effect of Gillou's game won't do the job with Nico. Even if the other players know about the flaws in his game, especially on short balls, most of them don't play a lot of dropshots against him for some reason, maybe because they get caught up in his game. I don't think it will happen with Nico who is used to play against him and I expect Nico to play a lot of dropshots indeed.

- Nico is DYING to do well at the moment. I translated an article for his thread the other day ("Mahut on a mission") and I saw him in Bangkok too last week, it was obvious, he was really playing with rage, almost provoked the crowd when he played Udomchoke in the 1st round.
I don't think Gilles will be in raging mood at all, he's more coming out of his hibernation (and he has not much to win in Metz, while Mahut really, really needs to salvage his season now).
Most of the other guys in Metz are starting their indoor season there, like Gilles, but not Nico who has already played 2 tournaments indoors (and done quite well at them).
Plus the surface of Metz seems to suit Nico who almost made it to the final there last year.

Nico probably wants to win so badly that he can turn into a headcase (the pressure to defend his points from last year), happens all the time with him. Or maybe the jetlag will catch up with him too.
Otherwise I think it's completely even.

That was another novel from me, sorry... ^^

Puschkin
09-30-2008, 11:21 AM
and he has not much to win in Metz

:eek: hej, the guy is playing for a Shanghai-ticket, that should be motivation enough. ;)

Truc
09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
But he needs to pretty much reach the final of Metz to add points! Only the 5 best optionals count and he already has 3 titles and a Rotterdam semi which brought him loads of points.
Metz has quite a strong field, but gives less points than his next events.

But maybe he will try to win Metz and then he can forget about Vienna and Lyon and just focus on the AMS, that would make sense too.

Puschkin
09-30-2008, 11:35 AM
BOnly the 5 best optionals count and he already has 3 titles and a Rotterdam semi which brought him loads of points.
Metz has quite a strong field, but doesn't give much points, Vienna is more interesting for him.

I know, but he will certainly be treated better in Metz than in Vienna. I am rather sure that in the early rounds, they will put him on the small court (which can be very depressing), just to see our useless Austrian wildcards losing on center. :rolleyes: And if a Frenchman gets the showcourt, it is certainly going to be Gael.

Truc
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
He's used to play on courts 17 and 26, but yes, you're right, Metz is a great occasion with his draw and because he will be treated so well...
I've changed my mind. :p Win Metz, Gilles. No pressure in the next optionals then and you will be well-rested for Madrid.

tedlesurfeur
09-30-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree on this.
But Iv'e just realized that Davydenko, Ferrer and Roddick are almost already qualified... Meaning the only spot left is the No.8 spot.. And we never know what to expect from Blake and Gonzalez..

Plus, veiny-4-titles-a-in-a-rom-never-before-seen-after-maiden-title Del Potro is like the most confident player ever right now.. The guy plays his best tennis on any surface right now, should it be sand or ice, he would win it all.. :mad:

Truc
09-30-2008, 03:11 PM
:lol:
Don't forget Tzonga who doesn't even need to win anything to be the "most confident player ever".
I think JMDP and JWT are the most dangerous contenders.
But well, everybody is looking in a better position than Gilles on paper, Blake, Wawa, Gonzo...

Delpo's main focus should be the DC final imo. :angel: They will go absolutely apeshit over him over there if Argentina wins it, it's for his own good.

Truc
09-30-2008, 08:17 PM
6/4, 3/6, 6/1 - that last game of the 1st set looked like a total waste, when he had 0-40 on Nico's serve and couldn't take any of his BP.
Nico says in his audio interview on the FFT website that his BP conversion (3/3) is very uncommon for him because he's a bad returner - but that's Gillou for you, either he saves BP like a God or the complete opposite, unfortunately! :o (That's my comment, of course, not Nico's.)

Nico also says he is jet-lagged, had to take loads of vitamin C before the match and was feeling really dull. ^^
He means Gilles completely gave him the first game.
He says he had spotted a few tactical things during their match in Indianapolis and was able to use them today, but he doesn't say what exactly. :p

Truc
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
They have an interview of Gilles too now: http://www.fft.fr/open-de-moselle/2008/?id=4101

He says his first game was "quite scary". :lol:
And it was very important because Nico is a player whose level varies a lot depending on the score and on his confidence. When he feels confident, he plays very well. So it was "a bad idea" to take such a poor start.
Then he was a bit better and wasn't in danger on his serve until the 3rd set, but he managed the big points very poorly again in the 3rd set.
He means it's due to the faster surface. On hardcourt and on clay, he always felt like he could take his time on big points and control the situation. Here it's just a matter of 1-2 shots and he wasn't able to deal with that new situation.
He really wanted to play a good match and to win today in order to get his bearings on that surface. But he means he's mentally not ready yet for that kind of game, he still is too much in "hardcourt/clay" mood where he had more time to settle his game down.
"Today I was confronted with the harsh realities of indoors hardcourt tennis. It's a little bit less exciting, but well, I'll deal with it!"

gambit84
09-30-2008, 09:18 PM
oh c'moooonnnnn, I know it was just a gift he gave to (little, unlucky, poor :sad:) Nico

who cares about this tourney? Gillu played it just for getting confidence with indoor courts and because you know he's a french star and so they forced him to play (:smoke:)

he's looking at TMS, the only tourneys he wanna win now

positivity :smoke:

:bounce:

Truc
10-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I don't think anybody is shattered anyway.
Gilles doesn't sound crushed at all in that audio interview. He says in L'Equipe "if I lose first round in Vienna, it won't be a big deal either."
He really was playing to get used to the surface and to play in France, but isn't ready yet.

But the journalist of L'Equipe says that Mahut was almost limping in the players hotel because he's just coming back from Bangkok and really wasn't looking very fresh. So a loss to Nico indoors isn't shocking for Poussin, he will always be more vulnerable on that surface, but that 3rd set must have been quite bad.

He plays in doubles with Jim today.

Truc
10-01-2008, 08:06 AM
«En manque de repères»
Battu dès son entrée en lice à Metz par Nicolas Mahut, Gilles Simon refusait cependant d'en faire une catastrophe. Pour le Niçois, tout est une question d'adaptation et, surtout, rien n'est perdu pour une éventuelle qualification au Masters de Shangaï.
par Krystel Roche, le 01-10-2009

Gilles, on imagine que vous êtes déçu de vous incliner ici dès le premier tour. Le match a mal commencé, s’est mal terminé, il y a eu de bonnes choses au milieu mais cela n’a pas suffi…
Gilles Simon : Je manquais énormément de repères, en tout cas sur le début de match. Je fais un premier jeu assez effroyable… Malheureusement pour moi, surtout sur une surface comme cela, ça conditionne beaucoup la suite. Nicolas (Ndlr : Mahut) est un joueur qui joue très, très bien, et dont le niveau de jeu varie énormément en fonction du niveau de confiance. J’ai eu la mauvaise idée de faire un mauvais début de match, donc je pense que lui a joué à son meilleur niveau. Effectivement, il y a eu du mieux par la suite, je crois que je n’ai pas été inquiété sur mon service avant le troisième set, mais là encore j’ai très mal géré : je crois que dans l’ensemble j’ai un peu trop retenu sur tous les points importants. Je pense que c’est beaucoup lié à la surface, qui va très vite. Et puis ces derniers temps, dehors, sur dur, c’était un peu plus lent, même sur terre à Bucarest, j’avais l’impression que je disposais de plus de temps pour gérer ces moments-là. Là, tout se joue sur un ou deux coups de raquette… Malheureusement je ne les ai jamais sortis.

N’est-ce pas trop gênant dans la perspective de la Masters Cup de Shangaï ?
Gilles Simon : Non, c’est sûr, ce n’est pas à cause de cela que j’ai perdu ! (rires). Je voulais juste essayer de faire un bon match, j’aurais vraiment voulu gagner, car c’était important pour moi de prendre de bons repères sur cette surface dès le début… Une chose est sûre : le dur en salle est toujours beaucoup plus serré, beaucoup plus accroché, ça se joue à deux bons retours, deux bons services, deux ou trois balles de break : on change deux, trois points dans le match et si ça se trouve, c’est moi qui le gagne, donc… Je pense que mentalement je n’étais simplement pas encore prêt pour ce type de jeu, je restais vraiment sur ma victoire à Bucarest où j’avais le temps de faire tout ce que je voulais. Malheureusement, aujourd’hui, je me suis confronté à la réalité du dur en salle, qui est un petit peu moins passionnante mais bon, il faut faire avec…

Comment avez-vous accueilli le succès de Jo-Wilfried (Tsonga) ? En Français ? Ou en tennisman qui s’inquiète de la concurrence pour la Masters Cup ?
Gilles Simon : On a cette chance, avec la nouvelle génération qui arrive, de s’entendre vraiment très bien. Il n’y a pas de problème. Donc vous pouvez toujours essayer de nous monter les uns contre les autres, vous n’y arriverez pas ! (rires)… Honnêtement, je suis très content pour lui car forcément, je le connais très bien, je connais tout son parcours, et c’est vrai qu’à chaque fois des pépins physiques le bloquent. Ça a des avantages, des inconvénients, mais quoi qu’il en soit cette réussite est une bonne chose pour lui. De toute façon, à la limite, si je dois laisser ma place à quelqu’un pour le Masters, je préfèrerais que ce soit à lui qu’à un autre ! (sourire) Avec Jo, on est rentré en sport-études à Poitiers ensemble à l’âge de 14 ans et depuis, on s’est suivis dans les structure fédérales. Cela fait une dizaine d’années que l’on évolue ensemble, et l’on est un peu passés par tous les stades : c’était lui devant, après moi, après lui, après moi… En tout cas, je suis super content pour lui, que ça se passe bien, il le mérite. Je pense aussi le mériter, mais je ne vais pas le dire ! (rires)…Mais voilà je suis très content qu’on arrive à si bien jouer.

Concrètement, pour vous, au vu du classement, tout va se jouer sur les Masters Series de Madrid et Paris. Êtes-vous focalisé sur ces deux événements ?
Gilles Simon : Oui, c’est sûr que ce sont vraiment les deux objectifs majeurs. C’est pour ça, quand je dis que j’aurais voulu gagner, ce n’est pas tellement en termes de classement, puisqu’effectivement ce n’est pas gagner deux-trois matches qui va me faire avancer énormément. C’était vraiment juste pour la confiance, afin d’aborder ces deux événements dans les meilleures dispositions possibles. Bon, ce n’est pas la fin du monde si jamais cela se passe mal la semaine prochaine à Vienne, mais voilà, je pense que l’on joue toujours mieux lorsqu’on est sur une série de victoires que lorsqu’on perd, donc je vais essayer d’engranger un maximum de confiance la semaine prochaine. http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/actualites/en-manque-de-reperes-200165/

Truc
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM
It's the same as the audio interview for the most part.
When he's asked about the Masters Cup: "That's not the reason why I lost! (he laughes)."
He laughes again when he's asked about Jo-Wi who might be a rival now and he says they're really getting along with the other guys of the new generation, so the French media can try to set them against each other if they want, but it won't happen! Ultimately, if he has to be overtaken by one guy only in the Race, he prefers it to be Jo rather than anybody else since they've been training together since they're 14 years old. He's really happy for Jo who deserves what is happening to him. "I think I deserve it too, but I can't say that (he laughes)". He's just glad they both are playing so well.
Winning 2-3 matches won't make a difference for his ranking now. It's just important for his confidence to get a few wins under his belt, and that will be his frame of mind in Vienna too.

gambit84
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
so a laughing Gillus during the interview....

:smoke:

tedlesurfeur
10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
so a laughing Gillus during the interview....

:smoke:

No no no, he just laughed at one comment !! don't make it sound like he was all happy and all :lol: He's just not willing to make a big deal out of it, that's all :lol:

Truc
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
He already said before the match that the idea was to enjoy his matches there (I posted the video in the livescoring thread yesterday). Completely different than in Bucharest - "I'm here to defend my title", etc. And he always is very honest about his goals.
I buy it when he says it's not a big deal for him. But he's certainly disappointed by his performance (he must have been quite crap during the 3rd set), he does look too in the video.

(He laughes at more than one comment. The Masters Cup question and then a few times again during the part about Jo. :p)

Truc
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
They lost in doubles too, but Jérémy was the one serving for the 2nd set when Ancic/Ljubo broke back.
That's the only game I followed, so that's the only comment I can make about the match.

rtgy
10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
OMG i totally forgot about doubles...sorry for Gillu........but Vienna is next :rolleyes:

Puschkin
10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Winning 2-3 matches won't make a difference for his ranking now. It's just important for his confidence to get a few wins under his belt, and that will be his frame of mind in Vienna too.

Come on Gilles, I saw you in person in Monte Carlo, which was outright embarassing, I don't want to see you like that in Vienna, otherwise I start doubting why some people develop a soft spot for you. :p

Truc
10-04-2008, 09:40 AM
He was injured in Monte-Carlo!! http://www.smilieportal.de/smilies/boese/57.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)

His draw in Vienna:
[1] WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI vs QUALIFIER
QUALIFIER vs KARANUSIC, Roko CRO
MOYA, Carlos ESP vs BERRER, Michael GER
QUALIFIER SCHWANK, Eduardo ARG vs [7] SIMON, Gilles FRA

[4] KARLOVIC, Ivo CRO vs FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO vs MELZER, Jurgen AUT
LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP vs CALLERI, Agustin ARG
[WC] KOUBEK, Stefan AUT vs [6] ROBREDO, Tommy ESP

[5] VERDASCO, Fernando ESP vs QUALIFIER
CANAS, Guillermo ARG vs SEPPI, Andreas ITA
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER vs GICQUEL, Marc FRA
[WC] FISCHER, Martin AUT vs [3] DEL POTRO, Juan Martin ARG

[8] MONFILS, Gael FRA vs [WC] PEYA, Alexander AUT
QUALIFIER vs STEPANEK, Radek CZE
GULBIS, Ernests LAT vs VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA
BOLELLI, Simone ITA vs [2] GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI

Truc
10-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Hmm, now people say he's playing Schwank...
I saw Schwank yesterday against Sexy and I wasn't expecting him to play so well on that surface, it wouldn't be as easy as it looks.

rtgy
10-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Gillu will kick Eduardo's ass............:devil:

ALLEZ POUSSIN!!!

Guy Haines
10-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Gillu will kick Eduardo's ass............:devil:

ALLEZ POUSSIN!!!

I hope so.

Schwank didn't do too bad this past week. But he doesn't have a game that gets better indoors like Nico's, so Gilles can do it.

Truc
10-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Yes, Schwank isn't a bye at all like I might have thought one week ago (stretching it a bit), but his game should suit Gilles. He has been an Argie killer this year except for the Delpo match at the USO, so let's hope he will keep up the good job.

His whole draw looks OK if he has "taken his bearings".
It's a big "if", though, he sounded quite disorientated in Metz. He was just coming out of hibernation too, but since he had really found the right balance on hc/clay lately and settled down his game nicely for this kind of surfaces, the transition might be tougher than usual for him, with the increased pressure to play up to his new rank.

rtgy
10-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, Schwank isn't a bye at all like I might have thought one week ago (stretching it a bit), but his game should suit Gilles. He has been an Argie killer this year except for the Delpo match at the USO, so let's hope he will keep up the good job.

His whole draw looks OK if he has "taken his bearings".
It's a big "if", though, he sounded quite disorientated in Metz. He was just coming out of hibernation too, but since he had really found the right balance on hc/clay lately and settled down his game nicely for this kind of surfaces, the transition might be tougher than usual for him, with the increased pressure to play up to his new rank.

i'm totally agree with u.....lets hope he will leave this "hibernation time" behind his back and make some good games in the indoors...................:)

ALLEZ GILLES!!!

Puschkin
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
I knew it: Gilles tomorrow on the small court against Schwank. At the same time Ljubicic/Melzer on center. Poor Gilles, he will be able to count the people watching his match. I will be one of them. :p

rtgy
10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes Gillu's match is scheduled to be 4-th match of the day in court B / btw Ernie will play his match against Volandri in court B to, just before Gillu's match/
i'm a little surprise to see 7-th seed not playing in the central court........totally rubbish!!!

Puschkin
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes Gillu's match is scheduled to be 4-th match of the day in court B / btw Ernie will play his match against Volandri in court B to, just before Gillu's match/
i'm a little surprise to see 7-th seed not playing in the central court........totally rubbish!!!

well it happens everywhere. There is a local playing on Center court. :o

Truc
10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Simon-Schwank was never going to be on Center Court. A 2nd round against Moya maybe. It doesn't make a difference for us anyway, there doesn't seem to be any livestream.

But you should go and watch Jürgen's match too, it might be more your taste than Gillou. I hope the matches on Center Court will be veeeeeeery long so Gilles plays during Koubek-Robredo, I wouldn't feel bad about you having to miss Koubek for Poussin then.

Thanks a lot and have fun (it makes me a bit nervous you're going tomorrow :lol:, please show some good tennis, Gilles, don't embarrass us)!

rtgy
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I knew it: Gilles tomorrow on the small court against Schwank. At the same time Ljubicic/Melzer on center. Poor Gilles, he will be able to count the people watching his match. I will be one of them. :p

be sure that he will count u to.....................:), btw give the little chicken strong suport from as all ;)

Puschkin
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Simon-Schwank was never going to be on Center Court. A 2nd round against Moya maybe. It doesn't make a difference for us anyway, there doesn't seem to be any livestream.

But you should go and watch Jürgen too, it might be more your taste than Gillou! I hope the matches on Center Court will be veeeeeeery long so Gilles plays during Koubek-Robredo, I wouldn't feel bad about you having to miss Koubek for Poussin then.

Thanks a lot and have fun (it makes me a bit nervous you're going tomorrow :lol:, please show some good tennis, Gilles, don't embarrass us)!

Jürgen is my favourite Austrian, but his opponent :rolleyes:. Nope, I am going to watch Gilles. I'll do my best in encouraging him, but the athmosphere on court B is really dreary. Waht do you want me to shout "Allez, Possin?" :p

Truc
10-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Jürgen is going to win anyway, so you'll see him in the 2nd round :rocker2:, but I'm afraid Gilles and Schwank battling from the baseline will be really dull for your liking, even I was a bit bored by watching him against Chucho...

He doesn't seem to like the "Poussin" nickname much, so I would avoid it if I were you - unless you want to experience the daggering glance.

rtgy
10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Waht do you want me to shout "Allez, Possin?" :p

believe me, u will be the only one to say that in court B........... "ALLEZ POUSSIN" :lol:
and Fran got the point.....Gillu will be "very happy" with that POUSSIN thing. i could imagine his face :rolls:he will be very........ :shout:/satisfied/

:rocker:

Puschkin
10-07-2008, 06:47 AM
believe me, u will be the only one to say that in court B........... "ALLEZ POUSSIN" :lol:
and Fran got the point.....Gillu will be "very happy" with that POUSSIN thing. i could imagine his face :rolls:he will be very........ :shout:/satisfied/

So, I am going to shout "Allez, Gilles", then?;)

He doesn't seem to like the "Poussin" nickname much, so I would avoid it if I were you - unless you want to experience the daggering glance.

:eek: no, I am not out for daggering glances, quite the contratry. I want to convince every French player that Vienna is a great tourney, where they are warmly welcome. ;) From next year onwards Vienna wil be in the same week as Lyon, which is hard to fight against.

Truc
10-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I didn't know it will be the same week as Lyon next year!

When Gilles was asked about the "Poussin" nickname on radio a few months ago, he said people don't call him like that anymore, he really insisted a lot on it (I was feeling a bit embarrassed because I knew he was asking the question because of me, I had talked with the journalist on the very same day ^^).
But the "Poussin" story has been regularly mentioned in articles lately, so maybe it is enjoying a "revival", I don't know. I was surprised to see it in his ATP profile. Maybe it would make him smile. :shrug:

My own experience is that he smiles a lot off court, but NOT during his matches and that he can look daggers at one just for a shy little "Allez!" during a match. :lol:

Puschkin
10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
My own experience is that he smiles a lot off court, but NOT during his matches and that he can look daggers at one just for a shy little "Allez!" during a match. :lol:

Finding out about this is my mission today. :p

I would not shout allez between first and second serve, but I can't imagine that he would disapprove of some encouragement when he bp down.

tedlesurfeur
10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I didn't know it will be the same week as Lyon next year!

When Gilles was asked about the "Poussin" nickname on radio a few months ago, he said people don't call him like that anymore, he really insisted a lot on it (I was feeling a bit embarrassed because the question was from me, I had talked with the journalist on the very same day ^^).
But the "Poussin" story has been regularly mentioned in articles lately, so maybe it is enjoying a "revival", I don't know. I was surprised to see it in his ATP profile. Maybe it would make him smile. :shrug:

Maybe his distancing himself from this nickname is evidence for what he achieved this year: No longer an unexperienced player but an on-stage ATP star..

He doesn't want people to think he's still a baby. It's all unconscious :p

rtgy
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM
No longer an unexperienced player but an on-stage ATP star..

:rocker2:

Truc
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
He said on radio it's just not appropriate anymore, R. Gilbert used to call him Poussin because he was shorter and smaller than the others, but now he's 1,82 m and no "baby chick" anymore.

I would find it awkward to be called "Poussin" by strangers if I were him, it sounds pretty "affectionate" in French. I use it here all the time as a joke, but I wouldn't use it in front of him - would you shout "Allez Poussin!", Teddy?

tedlesurfeur
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
He said on radio it's just not appropriate anymore, R. Gilbert used to call him Poussin because he was shorter and smaller than the others, but now he's 1,82 m and no "baby chick" anymore.

I would find it awkward to be called "Poussin" by strangers if I were him, it sounds pretty "affectionate" in French. I use it here all the time as a joke, but I wouldn't use it in front of him - would you shout "Allez Poussin!", Teddy?

I sure wouldn't

I don't like to get all familiar with players. Plus, as I might see him around in the future, I'm already conditioned to be highly respectful of his life. No intruding. No familiarity.

Truc
10-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh, I see, you can't afford to ruin your reputation then. :lol:
I don't have this kind of concerns :p, I can fangirl as much as I feel like it. But I wouldn't say it either.
Coming from foreigners, it might sound funny, though.

Poor Margareta, their match looks so freaking SLOW on the scoreboard, I'm not sure she will have sat through this.

Puschkin
10-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Poor Margareta, their match looks so freaking SLOW on the scoreboard, I'm not sure she will have sat through this.

I did. And I definitely was the only one cheering for him in a respectful way, before his service games started "allez, Gilles", not more not less. Not that many people cheered for Eduardo, either, it is just this wait and see attitude on court B in Vienna, hard to get motivated for a player.

It was a baseline battle, as such it was not bad at all. Court B is low in athmosphere, but that is compensated by being very close to the players.

You probably know it, I didn't, but he talks to himself a lot, in particular when things go badly. More than once he said something like " c'est moule" or " je n'ai pas de moule". Does it make sense to someone? :confused:

The match itself was as close as hell, decided on two or three points. Both relied a lot on defence, Gille slightly more than Eduardo. And even if Gilles fought to the end, I felt he was tired, but he certainly did NOT tank. As he lost, I refrained from waiting for him at the exit. He left the court quickly and definitely was not too happy.

rtgy
10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
tanx........great report!

Truc
10-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Thank you so much! I'm impressed by your patience.

"C'est moule" looks like "C'est mou, là" to me (which would fit with your impression that he was tired). But I don't know what the other sentence could be then.

I also think he is getting a bit burnt-out. Mentally or physically or both - that would be very normal, the summer has been such a big mental effort from him. He probably should have taken more time off after Bucharest.

Thanks a lot for sitting through all this long match since you're not a Simontarde - without you he wouldn't have had anybody cheering for him, so we're very grateful! Was Tulasne there at least?

Truc
10-07-2008, 09:14 PM
As for him talking a lot when things go badly, I've noticed it sometimes - but it's always so hard for me to understand what he says because I only get to see him with crappy livestreams. But when he does it, it's not a good sign! He complains about being tired ("j'ai plus de jambes, là"), about the fact that a ball touched the line ("elle prend tout le temps la ligne, sa balle!"), that he's unlucky... :lol:

His former coach Potier said during the AO 2006 (his "break through") that Gilles, most of all, had cut down the whining and that he's much better when he stops telling his whole life story on the court.
But he sometimes has little relapses. :p

Any discovery otherwise? A player you've become a fan of after having seen him in person?

Puschkin
10-07-2008, 09:20 PM
"C'est moule" looks like "C'est mou, là" to me (which would fit with your impression that he was tired). But I don't know what the other sentence could be then.

It may also have been "je trouve pas la moule", it was weird, I could not make sense of it. :o

Thanks a lot for sitting through all this long match since you're not a Simontarde - without you he wouldn't have had anybody cheering for him, so we're very grateful! Was Tulasne there at least?

Well, I am not a Simontard, but I have quite some sympathy for the guy, as long as he knows his place in the ranking. :p. No seriously, I appreciate what he achieved this year, compared to the overhyped Tsonga, but that is another story. Nope, we won't elaborate that. In addition, at the same time, Giraldo was slaughtering Koubek, not an attractive alternative. ;)

I don't know Tulasne. :o But I assume he was there, as I saw Gilles muttering to someone, but he sat in the same row as I did, to the very right of me, so I could not identify the person.

Any discovery otherwise? A player you've become a fan of after having seen him in person?

He looks much taller than his 1,80, probably becasue he is so slim. As for becoming a fan: I feel my favourite french player is very solid in his position. :p

Truc
10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
The last question was not about Gilles, I was talking about other players you might have "discovered" today!

I have more questions:
1. So it's not like he should have won it in 2 sets? I wasn't following the match all the time, but it seemed to me he was having a lot of occasions to close it in 2 sets. But you didn't have that feeling of a very unnecessary 3rd set by watching the match, it looked completely even all the time?
2. He won only 3 of 13 BP, was Schwank awesome on BP or was Gilles wasting his chances?
3. Was he coming to the net at least on BP against him? You seem to say it really was just a baseline battle all the time.
4. Was he still wearing the yellow shirt? :-/

Puschkin
10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
The last question was not about Gilles, I was talking about other players you might have "discovered" today!

Gulbis, definitely the most convincing performance I saw today. He reminds me at Marat Safin.;)

I have more questions:
1. So it's not like he should have won it in 2 sets? I wasn't following the match all the time, but it seemed to me he was having a lot of occasions to close it in 2 sets. But you didn't have that feeling of a very unnecessary 3rd set by watching the match, it looked completely even all the time?
2. He won only 3 of 13 BP, was Schwank awesome on BP or was Gilles wasting his chances?
3. Was he coming to the net at least on BP against him? You seem to say it really was just a baseline battle all the time.
4. Was he still wearing the yellow shirt? :-/

It was a classic pattern, in the first set, Schwank had bps, could not convert and was broken himself in the next game. In the second set, the pattern repeated itself, with Schwank taking the set.

Schwank was not awesome, but Gilles did not choke either, it was just damned close. Many games went to deuce.

Forrays to the net were rare, from both, but Schwank more aggresive than Gilles, his serve improved towards the end of the third set. And that made the tiny difference.

Yes. yellow-black shirt. Suits him well. :D

tedlesurfeur
10-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Fran, why the question about the yellow shit?? Is it relevant to you ? :lol: or was it just out of mere curiosity ? :p

tedlesurfeur
10-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Thank you so much! I'm impressed by your patience.

I agree. It also could've been "t'es mou, là" which would totally sound like something he would say.

Truc
10-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I asked the question about the shirt to know if there is any chance to get rid of that "thing". But I see I shouldn't get my hopes up.
He had reached a serious level of hotness this summer, he was looking quite stunning in Indianapolis, Toronto... Now he looks either sick or at best like a bee!

Nothing in L'Equipe today, they just say it doesn't jeopardize his chances for the Masters Cup - I'm so bored with the TMC talk. I like the fact he's been steadily improving year after year, I don't see the point in suddenly overachieving for him, he still has so many things to improve in his game.

I just hope he won't arrive in Bercy burnt-out and in a confidence slump because I want him to finally do decently well in Paris...

Truc
10-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Just a very last question, Puschkin :angel::
What happened when he served for the match in the 3rd? He really didn't choke then, Schwank won the points with winners?

Puschkin
10-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Just a very last question, Puschkin :angel::
What happened when he served for the match in the 3rd? He really didn't choke then, Schwank won the points with winners?

I hope to recall it correctly, some 2nd serves by Gilles, allowing Schwank to get into the ralleys, maybe not all winners from Schwank, but good enough play to force Gilles into errors, it was not that he just collapsed. And the final point of that game was definitely a winner by Schwank.

lisaplenske
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
well losing to shwank in first round of vienna is a little:o as the argentin is more a claycourt specialist and never won any indoor tournament.
Good luck to gilles in Madrid, I hope him not play a french in first round

Truc
10-11-2008, 01:15 PM
The Madrid draw is out, Andreev and then Blake again :armed: if he wins.
http://www.mutuamad-mastersmadrid.com/pdf/draws/2008/MDS.pdf

If he wins, it's a nice draw for me as I can't stand Andreev and Blake. If he loses, it will be painful.
They aren't in good form, but neither is Gilles...

Truc
10-11-2008, 01:27 PM
He misses a seeding by one spot only again, Richard and Jo are seeded and have a bye and not Gilles, it happens to him all the time this year, in the American AMS at the beginning of the year, in Roland-Garros... Let's hope he will do better this time, it brought him rather bad luck in the other events.

rtgy
10-11-2008, 01:44 PM
:oAnd if he overturn Andreev and Blake, then Safin or Davydenko............. could be more bad draw than that?

but that's a masters series so..... "nothing comes cheap".....:devil:

Truc
10-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't find it bad, it's full of players who are not in best form. His draw could be worse than that since he's not seeded.
It's just that I don't want him to lose to Blake for the 3rd time in a row.

rtgy
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
It's just that I don't want him to lose to Blake for the 3rd time in a row.

me to...it's time to take a win over Blake...... 3-rd loss will be to much :sad:
/but i have worries about Andreev...i'm not sure how much he is in form or not but he's definitely tough one.....:unsure:/

tedlesurfeur
10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I think it's the best draw he could have.. Fran, Richard is seeded but he will face Nadal for his second match... I think Gillou's spot is cosier.

Plus, he must avenge himself from his loss to Blake.. who's by far one of the least in-form players among the seeds.

lisaplenske
10-11-2008, 05:44 PM
yes plus blake could feel some pressure cause del potro is chasing his place for TMC qualification so gilles has to have nerves of steel and fight to win some matches.:armed:

Allez!

Truc
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
He plays with Gaël again in doubles. :tape:

Truc
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
3rd match of the day tomorrow, matches start at 11am.

Pepi.
10-12-2008, 09:25 PM
good luck gilles :D

Truc
10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I had forgotten to post the h2h with Andreev, btw, he leads 1-0.
2007 Sopot QF Clay (O) G.SIMON 6-4 7-5

rtgy
10-13-2008, 03:02 PM
after today 2-0....................

ALLEZ GILLES!!!!

Scotso
10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I got to watch the match on TV, but it wasn't a pretty one.

Still, I never see Gilles give up. He always fights, no matter how poorly he's playing. Nice fight from him at the end to win this one. He needed it.

Tutu
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Allez. :woohoo: So glad he pulled it out.

Truc
10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
The 1st set was blah, the 2nd set was terrible from Andreev, but I liked the 3rd set. I see most people found it poor and not pretty - I thought there were a lot of exciting rallies at the end and Gilles' BH was great. I'm easy to please!
Maybe because I was ready for a worse performance from him. He surprised me again today with his fight, even though Andreev helped a lot, of course. He must have been low on confidence after the last 2 tournaments.
A bit worrying his 1st serve completely let him down at the end of the 3rd set, but I found his overall game really OK and not too "wait-and-see".

Truc
10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
His h2h against Blake: :devil:
2008 Cincinnati Hard (O) J.BLAKE 4-6 3-6
2008 Olympic- Beijing Hard (O) J.BLAKE 4-6 2-6

So do something, Gilles.

Truc
10-13-2008, 04:37 PM
He plays tomorrow again, 2nd match of the day already, before tons of 1st round matches... Do they want to get rid of him?

rtgy
10-13-2008, 05:05 PM
He plays tomorrow again, 2nd match of the day already, before tons of 1st round matches... Do they want to get rid of him?

and after that mach together with Gael they will play 4-th match of the day againts BERDYCH/KIEFER in pista CIBELES/3rd court/................."mama mia"

Scotso
10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Blake is DONE. Gilles is gonna spank him.

tedlesurfeur
10-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Blake is DONE. Gilles is gonna spank him.

Well, as I said, he's not THE top form player at the moment, so let's pray for the best :lol: I just want a good match though.. and Gillou pulling it out like the new player he is.

rtgy
10-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, as I said, he's not THE top form player at the moment, so let's pray for the best :lol: I just want a good match though.. and Gillou pulling it out like the new player he is.

well said.........

Truc
10-14-2008, 05:52 AM
The article in L'Equipe today:Simon lance le sprint
Vainqueur d’Andreev (4-6, 6-1, 7-6), le Niçois garde un mince espoir d’être dans les huit qualifiés au Masters. Quid de Tsonga, Monfils et Gasquet ?

ÇA FAIT QUOI DE PARLER du Masters de Shanghai avec Gilles Simon ? À peu près le même effet que de parler chinois à un mort-vivant. Primo, cette conversation n’aurait pas vu le jour si Igor « Pim Pam Poum » Andreev avait pu achever la bête à 5-4 au troisième set hier. Quatre balles de match ratées sur le service du Niçois, quatre raisons de se maudire un bout de temps. Secundo, même s’il est le moins mal placé dans la course au Masters des quatre Beatles français (avec Tsonga, Monfils et Gasquet), Simon (12e à 51 points de Del Potro, actuel 8e) ne parierait jamais sa chemise sur ses chances de poser un pied à Shanghai à la morte saison. « Franchement, je ne m’y vois pas, donc je n’y pense pas. Il me reste trois tournois (Madrid, Lyon, Paris-Bercy) et il faudrait que j’arrive au moins en finale ici et que je fasse “ péter ” une demi-finale à Bercy. Fastoche, pas vrai ? Vous avez jeté un oeil à mon tableau ici ? Je suis censé battre Blake, Davydenko, Djokovic, Nadal et Federer. Cadeau, hein ? En plus, ce n’est pas tout que j’aille loin ; encore faut-il que ceux qui sont devant moi se vautrent. Et là, on parle quand même de mecs comme Blake, Gonzalez, Ferrer ou Del Potro. C’est pas des peintres ! » Mais si lui-même ne s’octroie généreusement que « cinq chances sur cent de (se) qualifier », que reste-t-il à espérer pour Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (14e à 57 points du huitième), Gaël Monfils (16e à 73 points) et Richard Gasquet (22e à 95 points) ? « Je leur donne autant de chances qu’à moi, veut bien concéder Simon. Si Richard gagne ici, il prend cent points. Mais il faut qu’il prie pour que ceux qui le devancent se plantent. Sinon, pas sûr que ça suffise. » Ce n’est pas tout d’être heureux, encore faut-il que les autres soient malheureux. Finalement, que Simon doive en découdre dès aujourd’hui avec James Blake (9e à la Race) n’est pas si gênant que ça.
Faire « une Gasquet » ou « une Nalbandian »
« C’est pas mal d’avoir à dégommer ses propres concurrents au Masters,convient Thierry Tulasne, coach de Simon. C’est comme ça que Richard s’était qualifié pour Shanghai l’an dernier. Gilles doit faire “ une Gasquet ”. » Et les trois autres n’ont qu’à faire « une Nalbandian » ; « une Nalbandian » se disant d’un joueur capable de faire main basse sur Madrid et Paris-Bercy. À ceci près que l’Argentin, parti de trop loin, n’avait pour autant pas réussi à aller en Chine l’an dernier. Pour avoir peu joué ces dernières semaines, Richard Gasquet a droit à un « méfiez-vous » de la part de Gilles Simon, avant que celui-ci ne se souvienne qu’au troisième tour Rafael Nadal devrait lui faire obstacle. Gaël Monfils a lui l’avantage d’un tableau pas si détestable et l’inconvénient d’avoir déjà « tapé » dans ses réserves à Vienne la semaine dernière. Enfin, les conjectures sur Jo-Wilfried Tsonga dépendent de son état de forme réel après ses ennuis physiques récents. Il a certes obtenu de n’entrer en lice que demain mais pas qu’on lui retire Roger Federer de sa route vers les quarts de finale. Et Gilles Simon dans tout ça ? On l’a dit, il a failli perdre, après Metz et Vienne, une troisième fois de suite au premier tour. Hier, les adorateurs du beau jeu n’auraient pas pris leur pied mais ceux qui ne jurent que par la grinta auraient bien aimé ce Simon pugnace et adhésif. Mou du genou au début, le Français paraissait tiré d’affaire quand il breaka à 2-2 au troisième set. On changea vite d’idée puisque le Russe recolla aussitôt. À 5-4, 0-40, on était carrément prêt à retourner notre veste mais Simon sauva crânement ses trois balles de match et même une quatrième tant qu’il y était. Dans le tie-break de toutes les chocottes (il venait de perdre 7-6 au troisième set à Vienne contre Schwank), Simon ne se dégonfla pas. Et on put donc lui causer chinois. « Ce n’était pas joli-joli mais dans l’attitude, je me donne 20/20, précisa Simon. J’ai toujours ce sale blocage au service qui fait que je me crispe dès que les points deviennent chauds. C’est très mental, ça. Et mentalement, je me sens fatigué. Alors, vous voyez, Shanghai… » Oui, oui, on voit.
FRÉDÉRIC BERNES Talking about the Masters Cup with Gilles Simon feels like talking in Chinese with a guy who is more dead than alive. "Frankly, I don't see myself there, so I don't think about it. There are 3 tournaments left and I would need to reach at least the final here and the semi-final in Bercy. Easy, right? Have you taken a look at my draw here? I'm supposed to beat Blake, Davydenko, Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. It's cool, no? And it's not just about me going far: I would also need the guys ranked higher than me to fall flat on their face. We're talking about Blake, Gonzalez, Ferrer or Del Potro. No amateurs!"
So he reckons his chances to qualify to be "5%". And the other Frenchies? "Same. If Richard wins here, he will get 100 points. But he has to pray that the ones who are ahead of him in the Race fail. Otherwise it's not sure it will be enough."
According to Tulasne it's not a bad thing he has to play Blake today who is a direct rival for Shanghai: "It's not bad to have to knock out of the way your own rivals. That's how Richard qualified for Shanghai last year. Gilles needs to pull a Gasquet."
And the other 3 need to pull a Nalbandian - except that Nalbandian didn't qualify for Shanghai in the end.
Then some blabla of the journalist about the chances of the others to qualify. :zzz:
And about his 1st round match: "It wasn't pretty ;), but I give myself 20/20 for the attitude [20 is the highest grade one can get in French schools]. I still have that damn block with my serve which means I get tense on big points. It is a very mental thing. And I'm mentally tired. So, you see, Shanghai..." Yes, yes, we see.

Månu
10-14-2008, 08:12 AM
This article is exactly why I like Simon the best as a character compared to his fellow Frenchmen. He's really laid back and funny in a sarcastic way that is really my type of humour. I really hope he beats Blake...

Truc
10-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Same here, I liked that article, very Gilles Simon.

Here his whole post-match interview:Difficile vainqueur d'Igor Andreev au 1er tour du Masters Series de Madrid (4/6 6/1 7/6), Gilles Simon savoure une victoire qu'il n'avait plus goûté depuis un mois déjà. Par Krystel Roche, le 14-10-2008

Gilles, cette victoire face à Igor Andreev arrive à point nommé, après deux défaites consécutives aux premiers tours à Metz et Vienne. Ce match vous permet d’engranger à nouveau un peu de confiance pour la fin de saison…
Gilles Simon : Oui c’est sûr… C’est vrai que ces deux défaites m’ont fait mal, surtout la dernière, où j’ai beaucoup d’occasions de gagner le match mais je m’incline malheureusement 7/6 au troisième set (Ndlr : face à Eduardo Schwank). C’était une revanche cette semaine que de gagner 7/6 au troisième, au premier tour, en sauvant quatre balles de match….

Vous réalisez une mauvaise entame de match, et reprenez l’ascendant au deuxième set. Que se passe-t-il dans votre tête entre ces deux premières manches, pour parvenir à renverser la situation en votre faveur ?
Gilles Simon : Le premier set, je l’ai mal débuté tout simplement parce que je n’étais pas en confiance. J’ai fait d’entrée un mauvais de jeu de service, qui lui a donné le break. Finalement, comme j’ai été breaké assez tôt, derrière, je n’ai pas eu de pression. J’ai commencé à trouver le rythme, surtout sur mes jeux de service, et, même si j’ai fini par perdre cette manche, je n’ai plus été inquiété du set sur mon engagement… Du coup, j’étais sur une bien meilleure dynamique, j’avais vraiment retrouvé mon jeu et ma confiance sur mes jeux de service. Je suis parti là-dessus au début du second, et j’ai réussi à faire le break assez tôt. J’avais bien le match en main. Au début du troisième set, c’était pareil, je breake. Malheureusement, je suis rattrapé par la pression, par ce manque de victoires finalement depuis un bon mois… Et je tremble un peu à ce moment-là. Heureusement pour moi, sur la fin, ça s’est bien passé en m’accrochant sur tous les points.

Vous avez été très solide mentalement, en sauvant notamment ces quatre balles de match… Dans le jeu décisif, avez-vous repensé à votre rencontre de la semaine passée face à Schwank ?
Gilles Simon : Non. C’est vrai que perdre 7/6 au troisième, c’est dur… Mais bon, il y a un moment où cela s’équilibre. Cette année, j’ai perdu deux rencontres au tie-break du troisième, et… j’en ai gagné deux. Aujourd’hui, j’ai la chance de sauver ces balles de match sur mon service. Une fois qu’elles sont sauvées, et que l’on est à 5 jeux partout, tout est encore possible… Finalement, c’est moi qui ai eu toutes les occasions de finir dans ce tie-break. Donc, forcément, je suis soulagé de gagner comme ça. En espérant que cela continue…

Quels sont les éléments de satisfaction sur cette rencontre ?
Gilles Simon : Il y a plein de choses satisfaisantes dans le fait de gagner un match. Principalement la confiance. Et puis le fait de finir par l’emporter, de sortir le bon coup au bon moment, de m’être accroché aussi sur tous les points… Je ne jouais pas spécialement bien, mais j’ai réussi à gagner simplement en courant, en ayant une bonne attitude, en me donnant sur chaque point. Il y a forcément beaucoup de positif à sortir de ce match.

Qu’avez-vous pensé du jeu de votre adversaire ?
Gilles Simon : Il a joué comme je m’y attendais... C’est vrai qu’il servait très bien. Je dirais que c’est ce qui était le plus difficile à gérer aujourd’hui. Après, du fond du court, il peut être dangereux, mais, finalement, il ne fait pas tant de points gagnants que ça. Et dès que la balle vient un peu vite, ça lui arrive de «faire des bois» et de ne pas contrôler… La surface n’est pas vraiment à son avantage. Simplement, il faut retourner. Et c’est vrai qu’aujourd’hui (Ndlr : lundi), il a passé encore beaucoup de premières balles, souvent aux alentours de 210 km/h, ce n’était pas évident… J’avoue qu’une fois que j’avais retourné, j’avais un peu fait le plus gros ! Dans l’échange, on le connaît, il frappe très fort, prend beaucoup de risques, fait des points mais en donne aussi beaucoup gratuitement. Donc j’ai essayé de m’accrocher à ça, de le faire jouer un maximum pour le pousser à la faute.

Vous retrouvez James Blake au prochain tour. Un James Blake tout «frais», puisqu’exempt de premier tour (grâce à son statut de tête de série n°11). A quoi vous préparez-vous ?
Gilles Simon : James, j’ai perdu deux fois contre lui cette saison… La première fois, à Cincinnati, j’étais complètement au bout du rouleau (défaite au 2e tour 4/6 3/6). Mais la deuxième fois - aux Jeux Olympiques - il m’a battu vraiment à la régulière, en deux sets (défaite en huitièmes de finale 4/6 2/6). Effectivement il sera prêt. Et c’est le genre de surface qu’il affectionne, quand les balles vont vite. Je pense que c’est là qu’il peut jouer son meilleur tennis. Finalement, cela m’enlève un peu de pression. Je suis déjà content d’avoir passé ce premier tour. Ma dernière victoire, c’était à Bucarest, il y a plus d’un mois. Un mois sans match gagné, ce n’est pas évident, même si on a l’impression que c’était «seulement» il y a deux tournois… Je ne veux pas me mettre plus de pression que ça. En tout cas, je sais que physiquement j’aurai récupéré. Je vais donner le maximum, produire un meilleur tennis qu’aujourd’hui, et bien sûr, encore une fois, essayer de donner le maximum sur chaque point.

Lors de l’Open de Moselle, vous aviez déclaré que le but était d’engranger un maximum de confiance pour aborder ces deux derniers Masters Series (Madrid et Bercy) dans les meilleures conditions possibles, tout le reste n’étant «que du bonus». L’état d’esprit est-il toujours le même ?
Gilles Simon : Oui. C’est un petit peu difficile en fin de saison de se remotiver chaque semaine pour repartir en tournoi. Quand on fait des saisons pleines comme je l’ai fait, avec surtout un gros été, ce n’est pas évident de maintenir le niveau, surtout mentalement, pas tellement physiquement, mais mentalement, sur toute la fin de saison. C’est vrai que les deux semaines passées, j’ai commencé à ressentir un peu de lassitude dans le fait de repartir en tournoi, j’avais un peu plus de mal à me remotiver. Donc voilà, j’essaye de donner le maximum, je sais qu’il me reste trois tournois à disputer. Finalement, plus je me rapproche du bout, plus ce sera facile pour moi. J’essaye simplement de ne rien avoir à me reprocher, parce que ce serait bête de passer à côté d’une belle fin de saison. Il reste deux beaux tournois à jouer, Bercy en point de mire. Je vais essayer d’arriver là-bas avec un maximum de confiance.

Physiquement, comment vous sentez vous ?
Gilles Simon : Tout va bien ! La semaine passée, même si j’ai perdu 7/6 au troisième face à Eduardo Schwank, ce n’est pas physiquement que j’ai sombré. Au niveau des jambes tout va bien, au niveau de la tête aussi, j’ai retrouvé de l’envie. C’est vrai aussi que c’est facile de se remotiver sur un Masters Series... Tennistiquement, je pense que je peux faire beaucoup mieux que ce que j’ai fait aujourd’hui. J’espère en tout cas que cela va venir avec la suite. On sait comment ça marche, il faut essayer de gagner un match, puis deux, puis le niveau de jeu revient.

L’éventualité d’une qualification pour la prochaine Masters Cup reste-t-elle dans un coin de votre tête ou en faites-vous abstraction, en abordant chaque tournoi match par match ?
Gilles Simon : Ce n’est vraiment pas dans un coin de ma tête, car c’est très difficile. Il faudrait quasiment gagner un des deux Masters Series, Madrid ou Bercy ! Donc là, c’est encore un peu trop tôt pour en parler... C’est vrai que c’est un objectif intéressant, mais je considère plus ça comme un bonus. Si vraiment tout se passait à merveille, effectivement, il y aurait la Masters Cup. Mais il ne faut pas rêver. A 95%, je ne la jouerai pas. Je pense qu’il y a des objectifs plus simples et beaucoup plus réalistes à avoir, et je vais essayer de me raccrocher à ceux là.

Vous aurez, quoi qu’il en soit, réalisé une très belle saison…
Gilles Simon : Je vais finir l’année, continuer de monter au classement, continuer d’essayer de progresser, gagner un maximum de matches, continuer de prendre de l’expérience dans ces tournois-là, contre des bons joueurs, sur des grands courts, et ça, c’est sûr que cela me servira beaucoup pour la suite. http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/actualites/plein-de-choses-positives-204433/

Truc
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
The defeat to Schwank hurt because he had so many chances to win and he lost. So it was a nice revenge yesterday.
He took a poor start because he's lacking confidence. Then he started feeling better, everything was looking good then, he had a good feeling, but the pressure came back when he was one break up in the 3rd because of this lack of confidence after not having won a match during the last month and he got shaky.
This year he has lost two matches in the 3rd set TB and he has won 2.
Andreev was serving very well. He's dangerous from the baseline, but he didn't hit so many winners, after all. The surface wasn't suiting him so well. Gilles felt that once he had returned the serve, he had done the hardest part of the job. Andreev also gives a lot of points from the baseline, so the idea was to force him to make UE.
He means he can play much better tennis than he did yesterday.
In the 1st match against Blake in Cincy, he was simply exhausted. But in Beijing Blake beat him fair and square. And the surface is perfect for Blake. But that way, Gilles won't have much pressure.
He had trouble finding his motivation in the last 2 weeks, he was getting tired of playing tournaments. But now he knows there are only 3 tournaments left and he will give everything.
He's feeling well physically. It wasn't the reason why he lost to Schwank last week. He now has recovered the desire to play - it's easier to be motivated for a Masters Series.

Truc
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
If he wins, it's a nice draw for me as I can't stand Andreev and Blake. If he loses, it will be painful.
They aren't in good form, but neither is Gilles...It feels even better than I thought it would. :drool: :drool:

Did anybody get the stats of the 3rd set, btw (winners/UE)? I forgot to record the stream today.

Now the winner of Davydenko vs. Llodra or Ginepri - they haven't even played the 1st round yet and Gillou already is in the 3rd round, so this time we are sure he will have one day to rest!

Scotso
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM

But what ridiculous scheduling. Still, it actually benefits a player I like this time.

guille&tati4life
10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Great so far Gilles :yeah: keep it up

tedlesurfeur
10-14-2008, 06:55 PM
don't have time.. but I read your posts. I'm so proud .. (of myself for having believed in him for two years now..)

:devil:

gambit84
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Truc
10-15-2008, 06:14 AM
In L’Equipe today, I have no idea how to translate the title:
Le roi de l’embrouille
Vainqueur de James Blake, Gilles Simon fait tout pour qu’on ne le croie pas quand il jure que le Masters est trop haut pour lui.

SAINT THOMAS ne croit que ce qu’il voit, saint Simon, lui, croit davantage. C’est une chance, sinon, il ne se serait jamais remis des quatre balles de match concédées lundi contre Igor Andreev. C’est une bénédiction, sinon, il aurait, hier, donné sa langue au chat et le match àJames Blake après un premier set douloureux. Il y a cru et a reçu une belle prime pour son effort... Battu chaque fois par l’Américain (à Cincinnati et aux Jeux de Pékin cette année), Gilles Simon pourra désormais dire « je l’ai fait » et, même, « je l’ai bien fait » (3-6, 6-1, 6-4).
Et dire que ce coquin de Simon voudrait qu’on ne se s’excite pas trop quant à ses chances de se qualifier pour le Masters… C’est fort de café, ça. Il est le Français le mieux placé dans cette histoire (12e), et le voilà qui se paie le luxe d’éliminer un rival direct (Blake est 9e). Entre nous, monsieur Simon, si vous voulez qu’on arrête d’y croire, mettez-y du vôtre. « Mais non ! Moi, je joue les trouble-fête, j’adore ça, s’amusait le Niçois. Cela dit, je persiste à dire qu’entre moi et Shanghai il y a un gouffre. » Il n’a pas spécialement tort. En se qualifiant ici pour les huitièmes de finale, Simon n’a engrangé que quinze points. C’est chiche quand on sait qu’il en accuse 51 de retard sur Del Potro, l’actuel dernier « masterisable ». Mais allez savoir… Si, demain, après un jour de repos bien venu, saint Gilles Simon se met à couper la chique au vainqueur du duel Davydenko-Ginepri, peut-être se sentira-t-il pousser de nouvelles ambitions.
Déjà, il sent quelque chose lui pousser dans le dos. Il l’a identifié et l’appelle « confiance », ce machin qui va, qui vient et qui change tout. « Souvent, quand on passe tout près du pire, comme moi contre Andreev, c’est justement là qu’on réussit des trucs inespérés. Quelque part, ça me détend. Du coup, le contenu de mon match contre Blake a été bien meilleur. »
« À un moment, j’en ai eu marre »
C’est juste. Mais avant qu’on constate cela, Blake, qu’on n’avait plus revu depuis l’US Open, avait déjà un set dans sa poche. Il imposait à Simon son schéma sans chichis : un gros service, un coup droit encore plus gros, à la rigueur un troisième coup de raquette, et pis c’est tout.
« Au début, je retournais très mal, admit Simon. À un moment, j’en ai eu marre. J’ai avancé d’un mètre en me disant qu’au moins j’allais peut-être sortir des retours emmerdants. Au début du deuxième set, il y a aussi eu un point super long, super intense et capital. Je l’ai perdu mais j’ai pris confiance en mes frappes du fond et j’ai senti que je pouvais le faire sortir de son moule. » C’est pile ce qui arriva.
Mais Simon dut auparavant écarter deux balles de break d’entrée au deuxième set puis deux autres, de débreak cette fois, alors qu’il menait 3-1. C’est ici que le match changea du tout au tout. Comme par hasard, ensuite, Blake s’agaça de voir revenir trop souvent la baballe et ouvrit grand la boîte à cagades. Comme par hasard, Simon s’enhardit et lui planta une bonne douzaine d’accélérations. Le Français breaka dès le premier jeu du dernier set et s’en vint donc servir à 5-4.
Allait-il se nouer comme contre Schwank à Vienne la semaine dernière ? Petit bras et grosse cata ? « Oui, j’ai eu peur à ce moment, reconnut Simon. Premier point : je sers une seconde balle toute molle, et bam ! Je prends un pétard. Mais après, j’ai su me reprendre. »
Il en faudrait beaucoup pour que Simon se démonte. Il n’a par exemple pas peur de sa chambre à l’hôtel des joueurs. Dans ce bâtiment thématique, assez moche à vrai dire, chaque étage est un concept. Simon loge à l’étage japonais où tout est noir, des draps au papier toilette. Trouvant cette déco trop cafardeuse, Tsonga a, lui, déménagé. Trop fort, ce Simon ! Il ne se formalise pas non plus de la rumeur qui dit que James Blake a chaque année le mal du pays quand le circuit passe l’automne en Europe. Attention, la rumeur a des arguments : Blake n’a jamais gagné un traître match à Madrid. Simon se moque bien de tout ça. Il est trop fort !
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS He keeps saying that people shouldn't get overexcited with Shanghai. "My part here is to be a spoilsport, I love that. That said, I'm sticking to my opinion that there is a gulf between me and Shanghai." He isn't completely wrong: he won 15 points with his 2nd round win. Delpo is 51 points ahead of him in the Race.
He means the match against Andreev gave him his confidence back, it relaxed him somehow and his match against Blake was much better.
But in the first set Blake was imposing his usual simple game upon him: a big serve, an even bigger FH, sometimes a 3rd shot, and that's all.
"I was returning very poorly at the beginning. I got fed up after a while. I moved one meter forward hoping that maybe I would be able to hit a couple of annoying returns. At the beginning of the 2nd set there was a very long, very intense rallye. I lost it, but it gave me confidence in my groundshots and I felt I was able to 'break his mould'." And that's exactly what happened.
But it was still close, he had to save 2 BP at the beginning of the 2nd set and then 2 points of rebreak again at 3-1. That was the turning point. Blake was irritated to see the ball come back too often and started spraying UE all over the court. Simon on the other hand became bolder, hit a dozen of winners and managed to keep it up until 5-4 when he had to serve it out.
Was he going to get tight like against Schwank in Vienna? "Yes, I was scared at that point, he admits. On the first point I serve a very weak second serve and bam! he lets off a firecracker. But I was able to pull myself together."
And then the last part is about the fact that it takes more than that to make him lose his cool. In the players' hotel, he has a room in the japanese floor, which means everything is black, even the toilet paper. JWT found that too depressing and asked to move to another floor. But Gilles doesn't care.
And then the article pokes fun and points out that Blake had never won a single match in Madrid anyway. But Gilles doesn't care about that either.

rtgy
10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
And then the last part is about the fact that it takes more than that to make him lose his cool. In the players' hotel, he has a room in the japanese floor, which means everything is black, even the toilet paper. JWT found that too depressing and asked to move to another floor. But Gilles doesn't care.
And then the article pokes fun and points out that Blake had never won a single match in Madrid anyway.
But Gilles doesn't care about that either.

Very Gilles...........very honest, very real.......modest, simple, unpretentious!

i'm proud to be his fan...........:rocker2:

tedlesurfeur
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
In L’Equipe today, I have no idea how to translate the title.

Make it a Friends' title.

The one who get people confused

tedlesurfeur
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM
In L’Equipe today, I have no idea how to translate the title.

The one who get people confused

rtgy
10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
R.Ginepri - N.Davydenko 4-6 6-4 6-4

So Gillou will face Ginepri tomorrow.....h2h:
Lion 2006 R32 G/S 7-6(3) 7-6(5)

So now is time for revenge...............:devil:

ALLEZ GILLES!!!:rocker2:

Truc
10-15-2008, 02:38 PM

The one who get people confusedEn effet, merci!

I watched parts of Ginepri-Davydenko and it really looked like Davy was going to win it in 2, it's not like Ginepri was looking unbeatable out there, I still don't get how Davy was taken to a 3rd set... Ginepri called for the physio a few times, but I guess he was fine since he won.

I would have preferred Kolya, I liked their match in Umag, even though tons of people mean it was a tank job.

Truc
10-15-2008, 02:40 PM
A little audio interview in French here:
http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/2157370/Tennis-Gilles-Simon-au-Masters.html
He says he now is less demanding with himself (with his level of game) during the matches because he knows that with the right attitude and the right fighting spirit he can turn around a match, even when he's not playing his best tennis.

It's true his attitude has really changed a lot, he used to get blown off the court 6-1 6-0 last year when he was not "feeling" his shots.

Tutu
10-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Allez Gilles, a must-win match. This is where he thrives. Allez!

Truc
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
1st match of the day tomorrow on Center Court (11 am)

(Really strange scheduling in Madrid, Simon-Ginepri on Center Court and Murray & Roddick on Court 1? Maybe nobody else wanted to play at 11 am - the article about Gilles in RG said that he doesn't care anyway, he's ready to play at 8 am or 11 pm if he's told to.)

Pepi.
10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
He won :banana:

well done :)

tedlesurfeur
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
He's so impressive.. Very solid in HIS MIND now !!

Wawrinka lost, so did Gonzalez !! this is good for Gillou's race !!!

Tutu
10-16-2008, 04:42 PM
:woohoo:

Scotso
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
It wasn't always pretty, but Gilles was pretty amazing when he needed to be. Woot.

Scotso
10-16-2008, 04:49 PM
He's so impressive.. Very solid in HIS MIND now !!

Wawrinka lost, so did Gonzalez !! this is good for Gillou's race !!!

I'd be a little bit more worried about Djokovic. :p

Truc
10-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Ted means in the Race for Shanghai. But I don't think that's really a goal for him.

Gilles Simon : "A Madrid, je joue mal et je gagne quand même"
Gilles Simon a battu Robby Ginepri jeudi à Madrid, mais n'est pas content de son niveau sur le court. Se qualifier pour un quart dans un Masters Series en jouant mal... en voilà un qui est entré dans un autre univers.

Face à Robby Ginepri, vous avez encore gagné un match à l'arrache, grâce à vos tripes (6-7, 6-4, 7-6)...
Gilles Simon : "Cette semaine à Madrid, je ne sens pas bien la balle. Mais je suis quand même en quart de finale. Ca montre ma progression. Les jours où je joue mal, j'arrive quand même à gagner. Je ne baisse pas les bras. Vous m'auriez croisé il y a deux ou trois ans, un match comme celui contre Ginepri j'aurais laissé tomber. Plus maintenant.

Depuis que vous avez entamé la tournée européenne il y a quelques semaines, vous n'avez jamais disputé un match en moins de trois sets. Gagner à la gnaque devient votre marque de fabrique...
Des matches qui se terminent au tie-break du set décisif, j'en ai déjà perdu aussi. C'est la période de la saison qui impose ces rencontres serrées. On joue en salle. Sur ces surfaces, c'est difficile de gagner 6-3, 6-2. Tout se joue en quelques points. Il faut rester concentré et motivé.

Comment est l'ambiance au sein du groupe France ? Entre Gaël Monfils, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Richard Gasquet et vous, la concurrence commence à devenir sévère...
Les gens voudraient que ça se passe mal. Mais rassurez-vous, tout va bien. On regarde nos matches, on est très content quand les autres gagnent. C'est une émulation. Avec Gaël, comme Jo, comme avec Richard."
Propos recueillis par Geoffroy Bresson
http://www.myfreesport.fr/sports/tennis/0/gilles-simon-madrid-je-joue-mal-je-gagne-quand-meme-53969.html?xtor=RSS-74

Gilles Simon: "I'm playing poorly in Madrid and yet, I'm winning"
He means he isn't feeling the ball well this week. Still, he is in the QF. It shows his improvement. He manages to win even on a bad day. "If you had seen me two or three years ago in a match like the one against Ginepri, I would have given up. Not anymore."
The journalist says all his matches have been in 3 sets since the beginning of the indoor season and it's becoming his trademark to win that kind of matches. He answers he has also lost matches in the 3rd set TB. His matches are so close because of the surface. It's tough to win 6-3 6-2. A few points only can be deciding and he has to remain concentrated and motivated.
And when he's asked about the competition with Richard-Jo-Gaël, he says again that people are assuming they're rivals, but they're actually getting along very well, watching each others' matches and happy when the others win. No rivalry at all.

guille&tati4life
10-16-2008, 06:59 PM
:rocker2: Gilles for the title :D

Truc
10-16-2008, 07:27 PM
He hit nice winners today for a guy who says he isn't "feeling his shots". 36 winners in a match, that's a lot for him.
But there's still room for improvement indeed if he's not too exhausted, he was far from playing his best tennis.

He plays the 2nd match of the night session tomorrow, so he should have time to recover!

rtgy
10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Gillou will play tomorrow in the night session.........againts the winner

of Djokovic/ Karlovic, after Nadal/Lopez match (20'00 CET).

rtgy
10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
uuups Fran we both posted Gillou's schedule in the same time....:)

rtgy
10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
So Gillou will face Ivo Karlovic tomorrow night after croatian won tonight's battle for the balkans againts Djokovic 7-6; 7-6;

btw, h2h is 0-1 to Karlovic.
last meating was in Nottingham 2007 (grass)- croatian won 7-6(4); 6-7(4); 6-4;

Scotso
10-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Ted means in the Race for Shanghai. But I don't think that's really a goal for him.

Oh, duh. :o

:lol: @ me.

Guy Haines
10-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey Fran and fellow Gillou-ettes and Simon Sirs.

I haven't posted lately -- wasting my time defending him on GM. Don't know what's wrong with me.

But I wanted to stop in and say hi and also say:

Can you believe Gilles this week!?! :banana:

For once, a player who makes you proud to be a fan! In every respect. I wasn't expecting much from him indoors, so it's been amazing to see his continued fight and resolve. No one else like him in the ATP in that dept. except Nadal, and Nadal's become quite familiar.

I hope Gilles does well tomorrow against the Serve. He lost their only ATP match, but he's beaten Karlovic a couple times on the Challenger circuit.

Truc
10-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Yes, he beat The Serve twice too, not only on the Challenger tour:
2005 Sunrise Challenger 32 Hard (O) G.SIMON 6-4 6-3
2005 Cincinnati 32 Hard (O) G.SIMON 3-6 7-6(5) 6-4

But I would have preferred him to play Nole!

Truc
10-17-2008, 06:29 AM
In l’Equipe today:Moi Rambo, toi Robocop
Gaël Monfils, trop fort pour Roddick, et Gilles Simon, indestructible malgré deux balles de match concédées à Ginepri, frappent à la porte des demi-finales.

LES ENTREPRISES Simon Pacemaker sont heureuses de vous présenter leur dernière création. Après le best-seller « Comment j’ai battu Andreev malgré quatre balles de match », publié lundi à Madrid, elles ont sorti hier la suite, intitulée « Comment j’ai aussi battu Ginepri en sauvant deux balles de match ». Almodovar serait sur le coup pour l’adaptation au cinéma, à condition de dénicher un cascadeur crédible pour incarner Gilles Simon. Tout aurait été plus reposant si le Français avait réussi son attaque de coup droit à 5-4, avantage sur son service, dans le dernier set. Mais, non, cette semaine, Simon fait « mumuse » avec nos nerfs et avec les siens. Et voilà comment, hier, il s’est retrouvé au bord du vide dans le tie-break du troisième set. Ginepri menait 6-4. Service gagnant de Simon, 6-5. Et, là, un échange interminable, Ginepri qui flippe, Simon qui pétoche et ce coup droit tout cagneux de l’Américain qui s’écrase dans le filet. Deux points plus tard, le Français plantait une flèche de revers long de ligne à la Simon (6-7, 6-4, 7-6 en 2 h 36’). À malin, malin et demi. Ginepri n’aurait jamais dû jouer à ce jeu-là avec un filou pareil. « Dans le tie-break, j’avais le coeur qui battait de plus en plus fort et, oui, j’avais peur, admit Simon. Mais, même si j’avais paumé, je ne me serais pas flagellé à cause de ma première balle de match ratée. Parce que ce coup droit, je le foire en l’attaquant, pas en mouillant. Ici, je ne contrôle pas bien mes frappes du fond. C’est une semaine sans. Peut-être que les gens se sont dit : “Simon a gagné, mais c’était chiant à regarder. Il a couru partout et n’a pas mis trois coups gagnants.” Mais je m’en moque. J’ai gagné. Avant, dès que je n’avais pas les super sensations, c’était fini. On parle toujours des matches du feu de dieu de Federer et de Nadal mais on oublie que, souvent, au début des tournois, ils rament. Mais ils ne perdent pas. Moi, je commence à savoir faire cela. »It's an article about Gilles and Gaël, this is just the part about Gilles. "Me Rambo, you Robocop" (in the main article they also call him "Bip Bip, l’insaisissable oiseau du désert" - "Road Runner" from "Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote" in English? It's true he looks like a bird in Madrid!)

Gilles: "My heart was beating more and more in the tiebreak and yes, I was scared. But even if I had lost, I wouldn't have flayed myself because of the first match point I had missed. Because I messed up that forehand going for my shot, not choking. I don't control my groundshots well here. I'm having a bad week at the office. Maybe people said: 'Simon won, but it's boring to watch. He was running all over the court and couldn't hit 3 winners.' But I don't care. I won. My matches used to be over immediately in the past when I wasn't having a great feeling on the court. People always talk about the fantastic matches of Federer and Nadal, but those two often have a hard time at the beginning of the tournaments. And yet, they don't lose. I'm starting to know how to do the same."

rtgy
10-17-2008, 07:52 AM
People always talk about the fantastic matches of Federer and Nadal, but those two often have a hard time at the beginning of the tournaments. And yet, they don't lose. I'm starting to know how to do the same."

:rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

Truc
10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah, it's another nice interview of Gilles - the part with the 3 winners isn't so spot on since he was actually hitting way more winners than he usually does, but I loved his "People probably said: 'Simon won, but he's boring'". :lol:

He's quite the underdog today for the bookies.

A short audio interview here too:
http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/2181885/tennis-masters-series-deux-francais-en-quarts-a-madrid.html
He says that he's just trying to be "beyond reproach". If he loses, it will be logical since he isn't playing well. But as usual, he will try.
He doesn't speak at all about feeling tired.

*Raine
10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Good luck Gilles :banana:

Truc
10-17-2008, 08:24 PM
He's in the draw of Lyon and will play Monaco in the first round.

tedlesurfeur
10-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I cannot believe he won yet again !!! :D

I'm so happy.

look at the names of the semifinals:

Nadal
Simon
--
Murray
Federer

rtgy
10-17-2008, 11:39 PM
I cannot believe he won yet again !!! :D

I'm so happy.

look at the names of the semifinals:

Nadal
Simon
--
Murray
Federer

i think that with this list above we all look in the future Ted....and the future is right infront of him now.......

Truc
10-18-2008, 05:56 AM
In L'Equipe today:Simon, la taille au-dessus
Vainqueur du géant Karlovic hier soir (7-6, 4-6, 7-6), le Niçois est en demi-finales et sera, lundi, le nouveau numéro 1 français.

Déjà demi-finaliste d’un tournoi Masters Series à Toronto en août, Gilles Simon recidivera cet après-midi contre Rafael Nadal, à qui il n’a jamais soutiré un set en deux occasions. Garçon bavard, brillant et atypique, Simon gagne à être connu. Il est la nouvelle star française.

ON AURAIT PU ALLER l’écouter salle Gaveau à Paris. Veste queue de pie, Gilles Simon, ancien élève du conservatoire, aurait tout à fait pu, dans une autre vie, donner des récitals de piano. Ou alors, bac scientifique en poche, il aurait pu se laisser pousser la moustache et remplacer Bertrand Renard aux Chiffres et aux Lettres. Si ce métier existait, Gilles Simon aurait aussi très bien gagné sa vie en dispensant des leçons de console vidéo. « Gilou, c’est un génie des jeux vidéo » , répète souvent Gaël Monfils. « Il joue plus à la console qu’au tennis, complète Jo- Wilfried Tsonga. Je me demande si ce gars n’est pas né avec une Game- Boy dans les mains. »
On pourrait ainsi grossir la liste de tout ce qu’aurait pu faire Gilles Simon. Mais à quoi bon… Il a choisi le tennis et il fait ça tellement bien. Après Toronto en août dernier, le Niçois de naissance s’est qualifié de nouveau pour une demi-finale de Masters Series. Oh, bien sûr, cette fois-ci, il n’a pas provoqué le saint séisme de battre Roger Federer. Oh, bien sûr, tout n’a pas toujours coulé de source dans son aventure madrilène. Il a sauvé quatre balles de match contre Andreev lundi et deux autres contre Ginepri jeudi. Mais ce garçon n’a pas fini de nous surprendre. Hier soir, il a rendu chèvre le Croate Ivo Karlovic (7-6, 4-6, 7-6). Et comment ! Il a d’abord réussi le tour de force de débreaker deux fois le géant dans le premier set, la seconde alors que Karlovic servait à 5-4. Il a ensuite survolé de toute sa classe non pas un tie-break (7-1) mais deux (7-2). Et ce, contre monsieur tiebreak en personne. Robin Söderling et Novak Djokovic lui auraient volontiers tiré leur chapeau, eux, qui n’avaient jamais pu breaker « Ivo le building » cette semaine. Oui, Simon, qui était mené 3-0 dans le dernier set, a un truc spécial.
Un sens du jeu ultra-développé
Certains l’ignoraient peut-être, mais il existe dans le paysage français un crack qui ne s’appelle ni Gasquet, ni Monfils ni Tsonga. Ceux-là seront bien attrapés de lire que Gilles Simon ne sera ni plus ni moins que le tout nouveau no 1 français lundi. Toronto, Madrid, mais aussi trois titres cette saison, l’assurent aussi d’être dizième à la Race et donc toujours en course pour le Masters (à 31 points de Del Potro, 8e). « Numéro un français, c’est chouette mais ça ne m’intéresse pas plus que ça, dit-il. Je ne fais pas le Championnat de France des joueurs de tennis. Ce qui me rend fier, c’est de finir l’année où je voulais la finir. J’avais dit en janvier que je visais le top 20, c’est fait. Je ne suis pas le Guy Roux du tennis, celui qui dira toujours qu’il joue le maintien. Généralement, quand t’es content d’être 50 ou 60e, eh ben tu le restes. »
C’est tout lui, ça, cette façon d’appeler un chat un chat et de ne surtout pas se cacher derrière son petit doigt. Le coup du « Je prends match après match », très peu pour lui. Ce qu’il pense, il le dit. Et, parfois, les mauvaises langues ont pris cette ambition pour de la vantardise. Alors quoi, Simon a le melon, oui ou non ? « C’est n’importe quoi, se défend-il. Il n’y a pas un mec dans le vestiaire qui vous dira qu’il ne pense pas battre le type en face même si c’est Nadal. La différence, c’est qu’eux ne vous le diront pas parce que ça ne se fait pas, surtout pas en France. Même s’il a un coup droit de chien, un Américain vous dira sans problème qu’il veut être no1 mondial. Faut arrêter de faire sa vierge effarouchée. »
Faudrait-il aussi arrêter de ne décrire le jeu de Simon que comme celui d’un Harpagon, radin en risques mais remiseur inlassable ? Dans une réputation, il y a souvent un fond de vérité. Et Gilles Simon l’assume.« La philosophie défensive, je la revendique. Moi, ça m’éclate de faire de longs rallyes. Et quand Nadal sort une défense et un passing de dingue, je trouve ça aussi beau qu’une volée de revers de Federer quand il donne sa leçon de tennis. Si on n’avait que des gars qui faisaient service-volée, on dirait que c’est chiant. Et si les gens attendent le Français qui va jouer comme Federer, je ne serai pas celui-là. »
La plupart de ses collègues placent Simon très haut dans la liste des joueurs qu’ils détestent affronter. Parce qu’il les fait travailler beaucoup mais pas que. « Les autres le craignent parce qu’il a un sens du jeu ultra développé, explique Thierry Tulasne, son entraîneur depuis un an et demi. Gilles, c’est le pouvoir de l’intuition. Il est terriblement malin. On n’a pas tort de le comparer à Mecir. Mais Gilles est bien plus qu’un défenseur. Il possède des deux côtés un coup de fusil qui fait de gros dégâts. Il a aussi énormément amélioré son service. C’était une de nos priorités cette année. En fin d’année dernière, Gilles était 60e mondial en terme de points gagnés derrière sa première balle, d’aces ou de balles de break sauvées. Je lui ai demandé de servir en se projetant d’un mètre dans le terrain comme le fait très bien Nadal. Avant, Gilles reculait en servant. »
Vous voyez bien que Simon n’est pas (n’est plus) un psychopathe de la défense. La preuve, il bosse même sa volée. Depuis janvier, il a carrément arrêté de volleyer à deux mains en revers.« Quand j’ai commencé à volleyer à une main, je me suis fait une tendinite tellement je manquais de force dans ce bras, rigole-t-il.Mais je progresse dans le jeu vers l’avant.On a peut-être l’impression que je ne fais que courir et remettre mais ce n’est plus vrai du tout. Y’en a qui pensent que je suis un laborieux avec zéro talent, d’autres que j’ai un timing hyper rare, allez comprendre… » Il pourrait débattre de tout ça des heures et des heures.
Si certains sont doués pour le silence, Simon, élu « pipelette d’or », du circuit l’est avec les mots. Encore heureux qu’il n’aime pas le téléphone sinon son budget portable pourrait ruiner son banquier. En revanche, il adore le tennis, qui le lui rend bien.
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS It's a bit bombastic, but there are some nice things, summary is coming...

Truc
10-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Talkative, brilliant, atypical, Simon deserves to be better known. He is the new French star. :o

First some blabla again about his versatility outside of tennis and the fact that he could have become a pianist or a scientist. "If it was a job, Gilles Simon could also have earned his living by giving videogames lessons." :lol: "Gillou is a genius at video games", Gaël often says. Jo: "He spends more time playing with his games console than playing tennis. I'm wondering if he was born with a Gameboy in the hands."
We could go on with the list of all the things Gilles Simon could have done. But he chose tennis.

Then a description of the match and how he managed to break twice in the 1st set and to drive nuts "Mr. Tiebreak" himself. Söderling or Djokovic must have taken their hat off since they hadn't been able to break him once this week. Yes, Simon, who was down 0-3 again in the 3rd set, has something special.

Some people don't know about him, but French tennis has a wizard who is neither Gasquet nor Monfils nor Tsonga. Those people will be caught out there all right when they will see on Monday that he is the new French number 1.
"French number 1, that's nice, but I don't care that much about it", he says. "I'm not playing the French Championships. I'm proud to finish the season the way I wanted to. I said in January that I was aiming at the top 20, and I did it. I'm not the Guy Roux of tennis who always says he will play to stay up/fight against the relegation. When you're happy to be ranked #50 or #60, you usually remain there."
That's Gilles Simon for you, always calling a spade a spade and "not trying to hide behind his little finger" [that expression always cracks me up, it means not trying to hide from the facts]. "One match at a time" is not his thing. He says what he thinks. Some people have taken this ambition for boastfulness. Is Simon bigheaded or not? "Rubbish, he says. Not one single guy in the locker rooms thinks he can not beat the guy in front of him, even if it's Nadal. The only difference is that the others won't say it to you because we're not supposed to, especially in France. An American player won't have any problem telling you he wants to become the number 1 even if he has an awful forehand. Let's stop acting like frightened maidens here." :rolls:
Should we also stop describing his game as a tireless retriever, quite stingy with risks? Such a reputation doesn't come from nowhere and Gilles Simon accepts it. "I'm proud of this defensive attitude. I get my kicks playing long rallies. And when Nadal shows crazy retrieving and plays a passing-shot out of nowhere, I find it as beautiful as a BH volley of Federer giving a tennis lesson. If there were only guys playing serve & volley out there, people would say it's boring. If people are waiting for the French player who will play like Federer, I'm not that guy." :yeah:
Most of his fellow players rank Simon highly in the list of the players they don't like to play. Because he makes them work hard, but that's not the only reason. Tulasne: "The others fear him because he has an highly developed sense of the game. Gilles, that's the power of intuition. He's terribly clever. People are right when they compare him with Mecir. Gilles is much more than a retriever. He can hit from both sides 'rifle shots' which cause a lot of damage. He also has improved his serve a lot. It was one of our priorities for this year. At the end of last year, Gilles was #60 in the world in terms of points won on 1st serve, aces and saved breakpoints. I told him to "thrust himself forward by one meter" when he serves, like Nadal who does it so well [I don't know how to say that in English, sorry]. Gilles used to move back on serve."
See, Simon isn't a psychopathic defender (anymore). He's even working on his volley and gave up on his two-handed BH volley :hearts: in January. "When I started volleying with one hand only, I was so lacking strength in that arm that I got a tendinitis, he smiles. But my game forward is improving. People may have the impression that I'm only running and retrieving, but that's not true at all anymore. Some people say I'm laborious and I have zero talent, other people mean I have an extraordinary timing, so..."
He could talk about this for hours. "Chatterbox" of the tour, Simon has a talent for words. It's a good thing he doesn't like talking on phone or his cell phone budget would ruin his banker.

Pepi.
10-18-2008, 07:59 AM
oh yes gilles!

amazing week!
:)

good luck today :D

Scotso
10-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Great article, Fran :yeah:

rtgy
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
wow tanx Fran...............:worship:

rtgy
10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Some people don't know about him, but French tennis has a wizard who is neither Gasquet nor Monfils nor Tsonga. Those people will be caught out there all right when they will see on Monday that he is the new French number 1.

oh yeah..............................number one baby.......................:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

TMJordan
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Amazing :worship:

Pepi.
10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
im so proud of Gilles!

simply amazing :worship:

thanks for this tournament, Gilles!

take the tittle babe :hug:

rtgy
10-18-2008, 06:47 PM
L'EQUIPE call him: "DON SIMON DE LA MANCHA"!!!

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20081018_193937_simon-s-offre-nadal_Dev.html

Marine
10-18-2008, 07:16 PM
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

I saw the last set, it was just amazing ! Both played very well, and Gilles was fantastic, he didn't choke at all. He was very tired, but Rafa too, and it's so rare to see Nadal at 2 from the ball ! :lol:
What a suspense in the tie break, I don't have any words to describe my feelings... lol

BONNE CHANCE POUR DEMAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!! :p:D:cool:

Renaud
10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
:worship:

Tutu
10-18-2008, 07:46 PM
FANTASTIQUE, MAGNIFIQUE. ALLEZ!

TAKE THE TITLE GILLES!

Not much more I can say than AMAZING!

Guy Haines
10-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Rafa and Gilles (or should I saw Gilles and Rafa :lol:) are my two favorite players.

That was a dream match. Though I wished both could win, I was rooting for Gilles from the start, and couldn't be happier with the outcome. :dance:

Gilles is such a great competitor -- and a better sportsman than I could have hoped.

:kiss: to Fran, Ted, and all the dedicated ones.

Truc
10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Thank you for the extra mention in every other post, Guy! :lol: :cool: You made me smile last time with the "Gillou-ettes" nickname, btw. I miss brego & Co.

You're lucky you missed the 1st set, Marine! His BH was so completely off, I had never seen him play like that (= that badly), so it is even more unbelievable he kept fighting.
His BH never seemed to work as well as it sometimes does, but the FH was on fire today. Tulasne said in the article this morning that he can fire "rifle shots" from both sides and I thought by translating it "hmmm, more the BH side" - once again, he proves me wrong.

Grenouille
10-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Amazing

What a big heart he has !

Guy Haines
10-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Thank you for the extra mention in every other post, Guy! :lol: :cool: You made me smile last time with the "Gillou-ettes" nickname, btw. I miss brego & Co.

I'm sorry, I know (and I like it that) you are lowkey. Bigmouth strikes again! I've just lost my senses.

What a great day.

Kezzi
10-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the article Fran! :hug:

And good luck tomorrow Gilles! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I wish I could've seen the match against Nadal :worship:

*Raine
10-18-2008, 10:30 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: Yes!!!

Gilles into the finals :worship:

I wasn't able to watch the match though, the livestreams were buffering to much for me. :sad:

RGK
10-18-2008, 10:37 PM
:worship:
Just Huge week for him.

i hope he is not too tired and can do something tomorrow.

*MJP*
10-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Woohoo Gilles :woohoo:
Absolutely fantastic :worship:
Keep it up :yeah:

Tutu
10-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Oh, and welcome to the top 10 GIlles!!!!! :woohoo:

ClubFed
10-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Gilles :worship:

Top Ten??? :eek: :bigclap:

Kolya
10-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I want to congratulate Gilles on a great fighting run to the Madrid final.

Also achieving a top 10 ranking is great for a talented unique player in the world of tennis today.

Beating Federer and Nadal this is year is an achievement in itself. Guys like Davydenko have not come close.

Good luck Gilles! :yeah:

Scotso
10-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I just hope Poussin isn't so exhausted that he gets spanked tomorrow. Despite the fact that the haters in GM are eating crow, no doubt a poor loss for Gilles would lead them to claim the previous five matches mean nothing. :p

Scotso
10-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Rafa and Gilles (or should I saw Gilles and Rafa :lol:) are my two favorite players.

That was a dream match. Though I wished both could win, I was rooting for Gilles from the start, and couldn't be happier with the outcome. :dance:

Gilles is such a great competitor -- and a better sportsman than I could have hoped.

:kiss: to Fran, Ted, and all the dedicated ones.

I really like your good rep to me, "In Gilles we trust." We should make that our little fantard motto, in light of the fact that lately we can always trust him to put up a fight.

2moretogo
10-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Finals... WOOT, and what a week it has been for Gilles. Awesomeness all around!!!

Truc
10-19-2008, 07:02 AM
In l'Equipe:Si, si, si, si señor !
Éblouissant, Gilles Simon a vaincu le numéro 1 mondial Rafael Nadal au terme d’un match culte (3-6, 7-5, 7-6). Murray l’attend en finale.

Déjà vainqueur du numéro 1 mondial (Roger Federer) à Toronto en août dernier, Gilles Simon a récidivé hier en dominant un autre numéro 1 mondial, chez lui, seul contre tous. S’il gagne aujourd’hui sa première finale en Masters Series, il succédera à Sébastien Grosjean, dernier Français auteur d’une telle prouesse. C’était à Paris-Bercy, il y a sept ans.

DITES DONC GILLES SIMON, c’est quoi le plus fort ? De battre Hercule ou d’assommer Goliath ? C’est quoi le plus grisant ? Embrocher Roger Federer, numéro 1 mondial à Toronto ou écoeurer Rafael Nadal, numéro 1 mondial à Madrid ? « Federer, c’était un deuxième tour et, hier, c’était quand même une demi-finale, répondit Monsieur Malice. Et puis, avant Nadal, j’étais quand même bien rôti après mes quatre matches au couteau cette semaine (dont six balles de match sauvées, quatre contre Andreev, deux contre Ginepri). En plus, ils étaient quand même dix mille et un contre moi. Dix milles madrilènes et Nadal, ça faisait beaucoup. Quand ils ont annoncé son nom pendant qu’on entrait sur le court, ça a fait un bruit de dingue. Je me suis dit : “ Hou là ! mais je suis où là ? Ils me prennent pour un taurillon, ils veulent me découper les oreilles et la queue ” ! »
Quand la corrida est belle, il arrive qu’on rende grâce à l’animal et qu’on lui laisse la vie sauve. Hier, la corrida était si glorieuse que le Tout-Madrid, Almodovar compris, aurait volontiers agité des mouchoirs blancs pour saluer le galactique Gilles Simon. Cela faisait trois heures que Simon cherchait des noises à« Rafa », et ça, rien que ça, d’être capable de pousser si loin Nadal dans le combat, ça aurait mérité leNobel du tennis. C’est un privilège rare de lire sur le visage de Nadal des mimiques d’impuissance, de ras-le-bol même ; c’est rarissime de le regarder chercher de l’oxygène si souvent. Simon a vu tout ça, enfin presque. « Je le devinais, précisait Simon. Parce que moi-même j’étais à l’agonie. C’était tellement intense ! Je n’arrivais plus à respirer. J’en étais presque à laisser passer la balle parce que je ne pouvais plus frapper. J’avais les jambes qui brûlaient et les poumons vides. Mais j’y allais ! Et vous savez quoi ? Je me régalais dans cette souffrance. J’ai pris un maximum de plaisir à combattre Nadal chez lui. J’ai même joué avec le public. Et c’est parce qu’il y avait plaisir qu’il y a eu victoire. » C’est parce qu’à un moment Simon a dit « adios » au stress qu’il a pu prétendre au chef-d’oeuvre. On peut même avec certitude localiser l’heure exacte où ça a fait tilt dans son cerveau. Il était 6-3, 2-1 pour Nadal et 15-40 sur le service du Niçois. Jusque-là, Simon n’avait pas vu la couleur d’une balle de break et nous n’avions encore rien vu de son bras fantastique. Pourtant, Nadal ne frappait que des demi-services, sans doute à cause de son épaule meurtrie. Mais à trop vouloir chatouiller le revers de l’Espagnol, Simon en oubliait de jouer. « Je crapotais, j’étais frileux quoi. Et là, je me suis dit : “ Allez, quoi ! lâche-toi sinon tu vas prendre 6-3, 6-2 et tu vas t’en vouloir à mort. ” Je crois aussi que la fatigue m’a aidé à atteindre cette décontraction. »
Des points à exposer au Prado
Dans l’intervalle, Nadal avait cochonné une balle de 5-3 d’un revers ni bien fait ni à faire. C’est là que Simon tripla de taille. Aussitôt, il breaka blanc en balançant gaiement des coups droits à rendre vert de jalousie Federer. Simon était passé au plan B, B comme brillant. Il attaquait plein fer le coup droit de Nadal, s’ouvrait le terrain et imposait au Majorquin une épreuve de force insensée. Une épreuve à laquelle Nadal répondit oeil pour oeil, dent pour dent et coup pour coup. L’Espagnol débreaka quand Simon servit pour le set. Et devinez quoi ? Oui, oui, Simon rebreaka illico. Il y avait là, devant nous, des points à mettre sous verre et à exposer au Prado. Nadal aurait pu de nouveau débreaker (15-40) mais, cette fois, Simon lui claqua la porte au nez. Ce set avait duré 71 minutes, le suivant allait s’éterniser 92 minutes. Il faudra qu’à la fin de la semaine Thierry Tulasne pense à faire vérifier l’état de sa vésicule biliaire… « Si je fais ce job, disait le coach de Simon, c’est en espérant vivre un moment pareil une fois tous les cinq ans. Avec Gilles, je suis plus que gâté ! Il m’a bluffé à un point ! Plusieurs fois je n’y croyais plus ou plutôt je me forçais à y croire. C’était de la folie, ce match ! »
Oui, c’était une pure folie quand Simon, mené 4-2 dans le dernier set, ressuscita de nouveau. Il y avait alors quelque chose du Tsonga-Nadal à Melbourne ; c’était beau et grand, mais nous n’avions pas tout vu. Il restait à voir Simon défendre comme un lion et breaker à 5-5. Puis à voir Nadal se révolter pour soutirer un tie-break. Il fallait voir et entendre Madrid y croire quand Nadal écarta une balle de match, à 6-5, d’un coup droit de sniper.Madrid voulait encore y croire quand, à 7-6 pour Simon dans ce tiebreak, le Français prit d’assaut le filet, mais regarda passer le passing de revers du campeon. Ils l’avaient tous vu dedans. Tous, sauf Simon qui demanda une vérification de la vidéo. Il avait raison, seul contre tous. Quelque part, Simon venait de gagner son premier match de Coupe Davis. À l’extérieur.
Quand on songe que Simon n’avait trouvé le sommeil qu’à 3 h 30 du matin, samedi après sa partie de roulette russe nocturne avec Karlovic… Quand on sait que Nadal n’avait plus perdu un duel dont il avait gagné le premier set depuis 70 matches… Et quand on pense à tous ces entraîneurs qui n’auraient même pas misé un kopek sur cet ado pas assez grand et trop chétif. « Simon ? Bon petit joueur, mais il n’a pas le physique de l’emploi. Il n’y arrivera jamais », entendaient ses parents avant que Luigi Borfiga ne vienne leur redonner de l’espoir. Aujourd’hui, Simon est numéro 1 français et de plus en plus en course pour le Masters (il est désormais 9e, à 6 points de Del Potro). Il n’est toujours pas bien épais, mais il a grandi. C’est même fou ce qu’il est grand depuis hier.
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS

Truc
10-19-2008, 07:36 AM
It's a great article, but it's really too long and too difficult for me to translate - here's a summary of some parts:

A dazzling performance. He's asked to compare with the win over Federer: "Federer, it was a 2nd round, here a semi-final. And I was already 'well-cooked' before the Nadal match because of my 4 close matches this week. And I had 10 001 people against me. 10 000 Spaniards plus Nadal, that's a lot. When they announced him when we stepped on the court, it was crazily loud. I said to myself: 'Hou là, but where am I? They're taking me for a bull-calf, they're waiting for me to have the ears and the tail cut!'" :lol:
But when the corrida is beautiful, it happens they spare the life of the bull. And that's what happened yesterday after 3 hours of fight. Pushing Nadal to such a fight is an achievement already. It's not common to see Nadal look helpless, sometimes even disgusted or out of breathe. Simon saw all this - well, he almost did. "I was more guessing. Because I was dying myself out there. It was so intense! I couldn't breathe anymore. I almost felt like letting the ball get past me because I couldn't hit it anymore. My legs were burning, my lungs were empty. But I was still trying! And you know what? I was having a wonderful time in my agony. I took an amazing pleasure in fighting against Nadal at home. I was even playing with the crowd. And that pleasure is the reason why I won."
At one point of the match he said "adios" to the stress and it turned into a masterpiece then. The turning point was at 6-3 2-1 for Nadal, 15-40 on Gilles' serve. There had been no match until then, even if Nadal was hardly hitting his serve, probably because of his shoulder. But Simon was trying so hard to play on Nadal's BH side that he forgot to play. "I was nervous/overcautious. And then I said to myself: 'Allez, quoi! Let it go or you're going to lose 6-3 6-2 and you will be so annoyed with yourself for losing like that.' I also think that the exhaustion helped me to find that relaxed attitude."
Then a great description of the 2nd set and how crazy it was. The 2nd set took 71 minutes, the next one was going to last 92 minutes. Tulasne was in agony too. "I'm doing this job because I hope to have such an experience once every 5 years. With Gilles, I'm spoilt! He was stunning! Many times I didn't believe anymore he would do it, or I was forcing myself to still believe. This match was crazy."
Then the MP. Madrid still wanted to believe too when Nadal played that BH passing-shot. They all had seen the ball good. Everybody but Simon who asked for a Challenge. He was right. Alone against everybody. Somehow, Simon had just won his first Davis Cup match. Away.
When you think he had gone to bed at 3.30 am on Saturday after the Karlovic match... That Nadal hadn't lost a match after having won the 1st set for 70 matches now... When you think about all the trainers who didn't believe in that short, skinny teenager. "Simon? A good club player, but he hasn't the build, he'll never get anywhere." Simon now is French number 1 and #9 in the Race. He's still quite skinny, but he's taller. It's even incredible how big he is since yesterday.

But the summary is lame because the best part is the description of the match, it makes it sound like a corrida.

krystlel
10-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I wrote an article about yesterday's match. I blog for Tennis Diary (mvn.com/tennis) so this is my entry for this week. They are undergoing some sort of upgrade which is why I haven't been able to post it there yet, but here it is:

Gilles Simon battles past Nadal to reach his first Masters final

Gilles Simon had saved six match points in two separate matches to reach the semi-finals of the Masters Series in Madrid. In his toughest test of the week against the world number 1, Rafael Nadal, Simon was tested in every way possible in one of the most physically and mentally draining three set matches that I have seen, and came out triumphant.

The match was an exhausting three hour, 20 minute marathon which featured exceptional court coverage point after point, with both players probing each other and moving each other around superbly. Even at the end of the second set, Simon looked like he was on the verge of being beaten to the ground with the amount of energy that he was needing to expend each and every point, and he would often bend down in tiredness before composing himself again for the next point. But looks can be deceiving, and Simon continued to dig deep, and come late in the third set, Simon was still there, still willing to grind out every point and still having the courage to go for his shots. Contrast this to their previous match that these two played in the third round of the Australian Open earlier this year, before Simon had made his big breakthrough, where they had similarly gruelling rallies in the first set and Simon expended all of his energy in an attempt to win the first set where he did hold a couple of set points, but as soon as the set had slipped out of his hands, he ran out of gas and was beaten convincingly in the next two sets.

The match started off in a routine manner with Nadal being able to boss around the rallies. Simon was relaxed in his approach to his tennis, content to play reactively and keep the ball going crosscourt the majority of the time, often going to Nadal's backhand. It felt like Nadal was able to move Simon around with little effort and without risk, much like what would you expect when Nadal plays against a lower ranked player, not in the semi-finals of a Masters Series. There was speculation that maybe Simon was jaded from the energy he had expended during the week, as he gave himself more time to get to the ball, letting the ball come to him instead of playing it on the rise. Typically Simon has the sort of easygoing strokes and the way he hits the ball, sometimes it feels like he can afford to swing late because of his short backswings.

Simon is one of those players who I have always thought had excellent feel and finesse on his groundstrokes, much like someone like Anna Chakvetadze on the women's side except that Simon bases his game around consistency whereas Chakvetadze is the opposite. They both have a knack of hitting shots into tricky positions time and time again, and have excellent placement on their groundstrokes. They also thrive on their opponents giving them openings or angles to work with to set up their groundstrokes, and this was again evident in this match as Simon and Nadal were consistently outmaneuvering each other in one gruelling rally after another. After losing the first set, Simon promptly adjusted his game plan, started taking the ball earlier (which is what we were expecting right from the outset), hitting the ball a little bit harder and opening the court much better. In the last two sets of this match, Simon took his (usually) subtle game to another level executing everything that he normally does with more power and conviction.

Simon's backhand is his stronger wing, where he possesses a lot of variety and is able to redirect the ball with ease, either angled crosscourt or down-the-line, and his return of serve on that side is one of his biggest strengths. However, it was his forehand that was the revelation in this match. He usually only unloads on it selectively but it became a big weapon in this match as he flattened out on it consistently and was often able to win points hitting it hard and flat to Nadal's forehand. Simon possesses very flat groundstrokes on both sides, and as a result, he doesn't unload on his groundstrokes often especially on the forehand side and uses it more as a surprise tactic, as a change of pace, while relying on placement other times but against a player as good defensively like Nadal, he opted for a more aggressive game plan. It must be said that the high bounce that Nadal gets on his shots worked in Simon's favour from that standpoint, to give a bit more margin for error on Simon's flat shots, whereas I'd say against Murray, he's going to be having a lot of problems when Murray slices his backhand to Simon's forehand side, or at least that will limit his offensive options.

However, what was most impressive about Simon was the courage and fighting spirit that he showed to continually battle for each and every single point, despite the constant mental and physical pressure that was placed on him throughout the match. The 15 minute game at 3-3 was the best example. Simon had set up the point perfectly pulling Nadal way out of court finally after putting together a string of five or so perfectly executed strokes then found himself with a floater that Simon would have just needed to put back into the open court, but the shot was landing dangerously close to the line and Simon didn’t know whether to leave it or not. In the last minute, Simon stuck out his racquet with two hands as to hit a swing backhand volley but fails miserably as it sails long by quite some margin. Then immediately the next point Simon bounced back and continued to take the game to Nadal, taking the ball early and moving it around. He doesn't get discouraged by the past, and each and every point he is prepared to put in just as much effort, never resorting to cheap ways of winning points, even if he just ran a couple of laps around the court in the previous 25 shot rally. In that way, he was able to deal with the pressure that usually allows Nadal to get on top of his opponents. At times, Nadal thought he had done just about everything to win the point, then Simon in that final shot when completely out of position, comes up with the unlikely winner, much to Nadal's surprise.

Nadal kept plugging away and continued to try to move Simon around the court in a controlled and relentless manner. His shots, especially on the backhand side looked to be lacking in its usual pace which allowed Simon to dictate more than he'd like. Most of his shots were hit at medium pace at best on his end, and he was never really able to step up the pace when he had maintained control of the rally. Towards the closing stage of the match, a few errors started to creep in especially when he had to deal with deep shots which he ended up mishitting badly, while Simon continued his relentless consistency. For Nadal, he might view this match as the one that got away considering that he was only able to convert a miserable 5/22 break points. As for Simon, apart from reaching his first Masters Series final, his chances of making the elite eight man field at the year end Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai have improved greatly, and he now must be considered one of the main contenders to take one of the final spots.

rtgy
10-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Fran & Krystlel tanx a lot...great articles :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Truc
10-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks a lot, krystel, it's a great description, as usual. Being a complete fangirl, I was just watching Gilles during the whole match and suffering with him, so I can't really analyze what happened, but Nadal definitely didn't look like his usual self to me.
The "swing backhand volley". :lol: Really, it's a mystery for me why the guys don't play his BH side more often when he's at the net, he's still hesitating between the one-handed and the two-handed shot. They regularly mention it in interviews with Tulasne, but you just need to watch him once in training or in doubles to see it. Everybody kept joking about his volley when I saw him in training in Zagreb. So the other guys on the tour know about it. :shrug:

Truc
10-19-2008, 08:28 AM
His interview ("So happy to be there"):
«Tellement content d’être là»

Gilles Simon a créé l'exploit en demi-finale au Masters Series de Madrid, en sortant le numéro 1 mondial Rafael Nadal. Mais le Français ne veut pas s'arrêter là et espère bien finir sa semaine espagnole en beauté. par Krystel Roche, le 19-10-2008

Gilles, vous avez décroché votre billet pour la finale de ce Masters Series de Madrid, en sortant le chouchou local et n°1 mondial, Rafael Nadal. Comment analysez-vous cette victoire ?
Gilles Simon : Ça a été un match très, très difficile. Quand je suis arrivé sur le terrain, c’est vrai qu’avec le public qui s’enflammait vraiment pour Rafa c’était dur, j’étais un petit peu «petit garçon» ! A vrai dire, au début de la 2e manche, j’ai eu un passage vraiment difficile, j’avais des balles de break à sauver, et je commençais à être bien fatigué, j’avais mal dans les jambes… Et je me suis dit «ben vas-y, laisse partir, frappe tes coups et fais-toi plaisir !», et c’est vrai que… ça m’a bien réussi ! Il y a eu un petit déclic. J’ai réussi beaucoup de points gagnants à ce moment-là. Au fur et à mesure de la rencontre, j’ai commencé à trouver mes repères, à retrouver mes sensations. J’ai repris énormément de plaisir à jouer, du coup ça a fait disparaître un peu la fatigue, parce que vraiment… Vraiment, je me suis amusé sur le terrain. J’ai pris du plaisir à chaque instant à partir du deuxième set. C’est pour ça que j’ai tenu jusqu’au bout, parce que, simplement, j’étais super heureux d’être là. J’ai profité au maximum de la chance que j’avais de disputer un match comme celui-là, une demi-finale de Masters Series, face au numéro 1 mondial, chez lui…

Cela se voyait, vous aviez «la banane» sur le terrain…
Gilles Simon : Oui ! Comme je l’ai souvent dit, moi, quand j’étais petit, j’ai toujours joué au tennis. Mais je n’ai pas joué au tennis forcément pour jouer un Grand Chelem ou être numéro 1 mondial. Je jouais au tennis parce que j’adorais voir des joueurs faire des supers coups dans un stade bien rempli… Ce que je suis arrivé à faire aujourd’hui à partir du 2e set ! J’ai envoyé deux-trois missiles de coups droits où je me suis bien fait plaisir (sourire). Et même si le public était vraiment pour Nadal, je l’ai senti très respectueux, et j’ai eu de très bonnes sensations sur le terrain, de très bonnes émotions. C’est pour ça que, malgré la fatigue, malgré ce qui pouvait se passer sur le terrain, j’étais tellement content d’être là que quoi qu’il arrive j’avais envie que ça dure le plus longtemps possible.

En effet, même si Rafael Nadal avait le public tout acquis à sa cause, celui-ci restait très fair-play, les spectateurs espagnols n’étaient pas avares d’applaudissements lorsque vous réussissiez de beaux coups…
Gilles Simon : Oui, je pense que le public a vraiment apprécié mon attitude depuis le début du tournoi, où je ne lâchais rien. Au début, je ne jouais pas forcément bien, et puis j’ai continué de me battre… Et l’air de rien, ça les intrigue, un joueur qui gagne 7/6 au troisième (sourire)… Et même si c’était Nadal, même si à certains moments c’était dur parce qu’ils faisaient vraiment du bruit, qu’ils étaient vraiment derrière lui, il y avait toujours quand même ce respect pour le mec en face, qui se bat et qui donne tout ce qu’il a. Donc c’était vraiment super comme sensation.

En toute fin de match, vous demandez le hawk-eye, et le public se met à vous siffler… Vous n’aviez pourtant pas eu recours à la vidéo dans un mauvais esprit…
Gilles Simon : Oui. J’ai effectivement demandé la vidéo. Sur la fin, c’était tellement chaud qu’à chaque fois que je challengeais, ils sifflaient un peu… Et puis y’en a plein – de challenges - où j’ai eu raison, donc ! (sourire)... Mais bon, voilà, c’est de bonne guerre. Quand je challenge, pour eux, Nadal a gagné le point. Donc moi, je leur dis : «Non, attendez». Donc ils n’aiment pas ça, c’est normal (rires). Mais ça aurait été à Bercy, ça aurait été dans l’autre sens sûrement. Il faut jouer avec, ne pas se prendre la tête. Dans l’ensemble, les spectateurs ont été plutôt corrects.

Même si, comme vous le disiez précédemment, vous aviez pris le parti de vous faire plaisir et de profiter à fond du match, vous avez néanmoins dû faire preuve d’un sacré sang froid...
Gilles Simon : Effectivement, ce n’est pas parce que je prends du plaisir sur le terrain et que je suis content d’être là que je ne joue pas la gagne, ça n’a rien à voir… Je voulais gagner, mais vraiment, quand je perdais les points… Ce n’était pas grave ! Parce que c’était de beaux points quand même, où je tentais des choses, où lui réussissais de supers coups… Donc en fait, je n’étais pas déçu quand je perdais les points, et j’étais très heureux quand je les gagnais. J’étais forcément dans une dynamique très, très positive. Par contre, bien sûr, j’ai toujours joué la gagne, à n’importe quel moment du match. Dans tous les cas, ça aurait été un grand match. Forcément, c’est toujours mieux quand c’est gagné. Ce qu’il y a, c’est que dans la victoire, c’est vraiment la réussite finale, la joie finale, t’as gagné, ça y est ! Souvent, on fait un match pourri, on finit par gagner, et c’est la seule satisfaction, de gagner... Aujourd’hui, même si j’avais perdu… (soupir) Disons que j’ai une double satisfaction : celle d’avoir gagné, mais aussi celle d’avoir pris énormément de plaisir sur le terrain, pendant près de deux heures et demie. Je ne serais pas passé à côté de cette demi-finale, j’aurais tenté ma chance jusqu’au bout. Heureusement, ça passe. Mais même si ça n’était pas passé, j’aurais gardé tout ce que j’ai vécu sur le terrain pendant ces trois heures.

C’est, à nouveau, un match remporté au tie-break du troisième set. Une habitude désormais…
Gilles Simon : C’est la loi des séries, on va dire ! (rires). C’est toujours comme ça, ça n’arrive jamais, et d’un coup ça arrive quatre fois de suite ! C’est vrai qu’en gagner quatre de suite… Je vais finir par croire que je suis quand même un petit peu solide mentalement (sourire).

Physiquement, où en êtes-vous ? Comment gérez-vous la fatigue, la récupération, l’enchaînement entre les matches ?
Gilles Simon : Mon match face à Karlovic s’est fini tard, vers 1h du matin, et je me suis endormi vers 3h, 3h30… La nuit a été très courte, c’est vrai, et ça a été difficile de se mettre en jambes. D’ailleurs, ça s’est vu sur le terrain... Physiquement, je suis un peu au bout du rouleau. Mais ma seule façon de m’en sortir, c’est de prendre du plaisir en jouant, parce que le plaisir est une sorte d’anesthésiant. Comme je dis, quand on est fatigué, c’est plus facile d’aller faire un foot avec les copains que d’aller courir une heure et demie dans le bois ! Alors que physiquement, ça demande le même effort, la même intensité. Quand on s’amuse, quand l’aspect ludique est là, forcément, c’est plus facile… Mon seul moyen de gagner ce dimanche, avec toute la fatigue que j’ai accumulée, ça va être, encore une fois, d’essayer de me faire plaisir, de tenter des beaux coups, de tout donner. Mais, surtout, en gardant ce plaisir d’être sur le terrain.

Si vous ne deviez retenir qu’une image de ce match ?
Gilles Simon : J’hésite entre trois choses... Je dirais : la poignée de main finale. L’adoration du public aussi pour son joueur. A certains moments, c’était toujours «el numero uno», «Rafa», c’était incroyable… Il doit ressentir ça, et ça doit être assez magique ! Et puis, plus anecdotique, un coup droit long de ligne que j’ai envoyé, je crois que je n’ai jamais frappé aussi fort !

En une saison, vous vous payez le luxe de faire chuter Federer et Nadal…
Gilles Simon : Et Djoko ! Les trois… Il ne reste plus que Murray pour faire les quatre… (sourire)

Le bilan de vos précédentes confrontations avec Andy Murray s’élève à une victoire partout. Comment décririez-vous votre futur adversaire, et de quoi vous méfiez-vous le plus chez lui ?
Gilles Simon : C’est un joueur très, très intelligent sur le terrain. En dehors, je ne sais pas, je ne le connais pas assez… Sur le terrain en tout cas, il est très fort tactiquement, il sait toujours quel jeu jouer et comment s’adapter. C’est un gros bagarreur malgré son attitude un peu nonchalante. Et il est complet, il sait tout faire. Il va falloir essayer de trouver la filière qui le gêne le plus. Je sais que lui fera la même chose de son côté. A mon avis, il va s’appliquer à me faire courir un maximum. Je pense qu’il va l’avoir, sa tactique. Il va essayer, comme d’habitude, simplement, de bien servir, m’envoyer à droite à gauche, et dans un premier temps, tester ma résistance. Je pense que tactiquement, je n’aurai pas trop de surprises. A priori, il va user pas mal de l’amortie aussi. Ça sera à moi surtout d’aller chercher des solutions.

Vous avez dû largement atteindre les objectifs que vous vous étiez fixés en arrivant à Madrid …
Gilles Simon : Pas de bilan avant cette finale, je n’ai pas fini le tournoi, ni ma semaine… Tout dépendra franchement de ma finale. Je ne veux pas tirer un bilan, même s’il sera forcément positif, avant de jouer ce match, parce qu’une finale c’est quand même le match le plus important du tournoi, et qu’en fonction de son déroulement, si elle est gagnée ou perdue, la manière et tout le reste, ça changera tout de même pas mal de choses.

Pouvez-vous nous dire quels ont été les mots de Thierry Tulasne, votre coach, à la sortie du court ?
Gilles Simon : Il m’a juste dit «Putain, t’es monstrueux !», et puis voilà… Après, on essaye de rester dans le tournoi, on se concentre tout de suite sur la récupération. Mais voilà, je l’ai senti super content, et puis de toute façon, il n’y a pas besoin de se dire grand-chose dans ces moments-là (sourire)

Truc
10-19-2008, 08:40 AM
I think it's easier than the style of L'Equipe and should be understandable with a machine translation.
He means the crowd was very respectful.
"I wanted to win, but when I was losing points, it didn't really matter either! Because the points were great, because I was trying and he was playing superb shots then. So I wasn't disappointed when I was losing a point, and I was very happy when I won one. I was in very, very positive dynamics." He is so exhausted that taking pleasure in playing is the only solution for him at that point.
If he should keep only one image of the match? "I'm not sure, there are 3 things... I'd say: the handshake. Also the adoration of the crowd for its player. Always shouting 'el numero uno', 'Rafa', it was incredible... He must feel it, and it must be quite magic. And even if it's just a detail, I'd say the FH DTL, I think that's the biggest one I've ever played!"
And he expects a lot of dropshots from Andy - that's my biggest fear, he hates them. Andy will obviously try to make him run and test his stamina.

FedererBulgaria
10-19-2008, 08:52 AM
What a fighter!:worship:Good luck in the final,beat this clown Murray!:cool:

Truc
10-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Be careful, the Simon forum is a nest of Murraytards :p (or used to, we've lost a couple of our old members lately). Which is not surprising imo given the similarities in their games.

I already said that 10 times, but when they were asked on the tournament website of Marseille about the most impressive player, everybody answered Fed, as usual, except Gilles who answered "Murray".

(I also liked what he said yesterday about Rafa before their match, French players often are lost in admiration for Fed, so I liked his "when Nadal shows crazy retrieving and plays a passing-shot out of nowhere, I find it as beautiful as a BH volley of Federer giving one of his tennis lessons", etc. It's not so usual in French tennis. He loves Federer too, often says so in interviews, but not only.)

*Raine
10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Finally, I was able to watch the game last night (thanks to the replay :o). It was great to see Gilles smiling, especially when he challenged a call at 5-5 (I think :scratch: ) in the 3rd set.

:banana: You can do it Gilles :banana:

Tutu
10-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Be careful, the Simon forum is a nest of Murraytards :p (or used to, we've lost a couple of our old members lately). Which is not surprising imo given the similarities in their games.

I already said that 10 times, but when they were asked on the tournament website of Marseille about the most impressive player, everybody answered Fed, as usual, except Gilles who answered "Murray".

(I also liked what he said yesterday about Rafa before their match, French players often are lost in admiration for Fed, so I liked his "when Nadal shows crazy retrieving and plays a passing-shot out of nowhere, I find it as beautiful as a BH volley of Federer giving one of his tennis lessons", etc. It's not so usual in French tennis. He loves Federer too, often says so in interviews, but not only.)

Well you all better be cheering for Gilles! :p

Truc
10-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Actually, I realized after having written that post that I might be the only remaining Murraytarde here.

It's a no brainer for me, I would root for Gilles Simon against anybody else on the tour, as crazy as it might sound.

tedlesurfeur
10-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I'll remain a Murraytarded, Fran, you won't be alone.. but I admit Gillou's much more dear to me.

Scotso
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Be careful, the Simon forum is a nest of Murraytards :p

Unacceptable. They must be banished at once!

Scotso
10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
It's a no brainer for me, I would root for Gilles Simon against anybody else on the tour, as crazy as it might sound.

Ditto. Except for maybe Tim Smyczek, but I doubt they'll ever play anyway.

*Raine
10-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually, I realized after having written that post that I might be the only remaining Murraytarde here.

I am a Murraytard too ;)... but I likes Gilles a little bit more than Andy. So there's no question on which player I will root for today.

:banana: I hope I can find a livestream that doesn't buffer too much :banana:

Brego
10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
In the end Andy gets his win. 64 76

Congrats to Gilles for his great week.

Good luck in Lyon?/Paris and hopefully the TMC. :)

Pepi.
10-19-2008, 05:00 PM
gilles :hug:

excellent tournament!
better luck in Paris :hearts:

but-it's-ok
10-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Honour in defeat for Gilles, great week, what a fighter, what courage:hug:

Tutu
10-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Wow Gilles, what can I say.. He gave it his all and was just too knackered at the end. But whatever, he's now a top 10 player, the official French no.1 and just 7 points away from the TMC, with one more TMS to go.

Oh well, I wanted him to win his first Masters Title on home soil anyway. :ras: :lol: ALLEZ GILLES!!!

Truc
10-19-2008, 05:52 PM
«J'étais réellement fatigué, Andy le savait et ça a été aujourd'hui (dimanche) un facteur déterminant. J'ai eu une semaine incroyable et j'ai fait un super boulot, notamment avec ma victoire fabuleuse contre Nadal. Face à Murray, j'ai manqué trop de points faciles, je ne pouvais pas me concentrer sur tous les points et j'ai été inexistant au retour. Pour l'avenir, il faudra que je me montre plus agressif, notamment au filet. Après ce tournoi, j'ai plus de chances de me qualifier pour le Masters de Shanghaï, mais je suis encore en retard. Il faudra que je fasse une grosse performance dans un tournoi comme Paris-Bercy. Si je ne vais pas à Shanghaï, ce n'est pas la fin du monde. Je suis tellement fatigué que je veux me reposer et je ne suis pas sûr d'aller au tournoi de Lyon cette semaine».
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20081019_194657_simon-un-super-boulot_Dev.html

He says he really was tired, Andy knew it and it was a deciding factor today. He did a great job this week, but today he missed too many easy points, he wasn't able to focus on every point and he was terrible at returning. He'll need to be more aggressive in the future, especially at the net. He'd need a great run again in Bercy to qualify for Shanghai, and if he doesn't, it's really no big deal. He's so tired that he just wants to rest. He isn't sure to play in Lyon next week.

Truc
10-19-2008, 05:55 PM
TBH, I don't even want him to go to Shanghai, I'd prefer him to rest, he's been looking really tired since the US Open already. He isn't a whiner at all, but he regularly mentions in interviews he's (mentally) tired, in Bucharest already. His 2nd half of the season has been so great, he has to feel burnt-out.
I don't care about the TMC, knowing that he is top 15 and can compete with the top guys is good enough to me for this year.

Tutu
10-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Nahh, I want to see him there... Thats where he belongs. :p

I don't know if this is an overreaction but I think that there's still a lot of ground to be made in the top 10. He's at 10 now but with the vast majority of the players from 5 to 9 struggling for form (bar Del Potro) and what not, I think that it would be so great if he could make the TMC, because I really dont feel that he'd be the weak link and could further improve is ranking there. Just one more big push then he can relax in the off-season, right? :) Allez.

guille&tati4life
10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Fuck, unlucky Gilles, great tournament :yeah:

Truc
10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't want him to go to Shanghai, but I'd love him to have a very decent run in Bercy because he has never played well in Paris and I want him to show the Parisian crowd how well he's playing now. So if he does well in Bercy, he has a very good chance to qualify anyway and we both will happy, Tutu.

A QF in Lyon would bring him only 1 point in the Race, I think, so I really hope he won't play there.

Guy Haines
10-19-2008, 07:56 PM
:hatoff::hearts: to Gilles for an amazing week. It seems like a year since the beginning of it. :lol:

I liked Gilles the first time I saw him play, and really began following him at the start of 2008. I've still a lot to learn about him. It's great to see a player who is still developing in his '20s.

So much of the tour could learn from Gilles' focus and spirit -- but I don't want them to. :devil: And it does seem like Gilles is still improving technically, so who knows about the future?

My one big wish for Gilles in 2009 is to have some great results at a slam or two. Whether or not his ranking continues to improve, and regardless of whether he makes Shanghai, Gilles is great.

Jelena_78
10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Congratulations for the fantastic run, what a great tennis that was!!! :worship: :clap2:

Tutu
10-19-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't want him to go to Shanghai, but I'd love him to have a very decent run in Bercy because he has never played well in Paris and I want him to show the Parisian crowd how well he's playing now. So if he does well in Bercy, he has a very good chance to qualify anyway and we both will happy, Tutu.

A QF in Lyon would bring him only 1 point in the Race, I think, so I really hope he won't play there.

:D

But yeah, I really dont want him to play Lyon either.. He needs to just rest and recoup and then give it his all in Paris.

If there's anything he needs to work on for 09, its his aggresive game so it gets to the point where he's finishing these guys in 2 sets rather than 3. That way obviously he'll have more energy left in the latter stages of tournaments against the quality opponents. It happened in Toronto and its happened here again, and if he can improve that, hopefully he can make an assault on the latter stages of AO. Also, if he does well next week and gets into Shanghai it would give him a top 8 seeding at the AO which wold be great so that he isn't running into the Del Potros and Gasguets of this world in the third round.

Tutu
10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Ohnoes, he's in the draw

Roddick vs. Mahut
Ginepri vs. Grosjean
Qualifier vs. Muller
Qualifier vs. Soderling

Simon vs. Monaco
Qualifier vs. Seppi
Ouanna vs. Ljubicic
Lapentti vs. Karlovic

Mathieu vs. Canas
Ferrero vs. Querrey
Santoro vs. Fognini
Gicquel vs. Tsonga

Robredo vs. Llodra
Benneteau vs. Clement
Stepanek vs. Darcis
Qualifier vs. Gasquet

Really hopes he doesn't play it but if he does, whatever. He hasnt really played much before this week - with those 1r exits but whatever, we'll see.

Truc
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
But the draw was made on Friday already, he hadn't even played against Karlovic yet, it's normal he's in it (and I remember I was already thinking then "he must be so tired, he should have pulled out" - I had no idea he had two more matches with 3rd set TB to come!)

Truc
10-19-2008, 10:32 PM
From the article posted by Allez_Ollie in the chat thread:
http://www.inside-tennis.net/tennis-news_3253_Murray-wins-Madrid-Masters-with-victory-over-Simon.html
"The serve is the reason I won the tournament because today Gilles was hitting the ball better than me from the back of the court", Murray said.

He lost on a missed BH volley - but that one really looked hard to play. He had a couple of decent ones today, his netgame is definitely improving, I'm not watching through my fingers anymore when he ventures near the net like I used to in Rotterdam or even Wimbledon!

Tutu
10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
But the draw was made on Friday already, he hadn't even played against Karlovic yet, it's normal he's in it (and I remember I was already thinking then "he must be so tired, he should have pulled out" - I had no idea he had two more matches with 3rd set TB to come!)

oh yeah, ok. :)

Scotso
10-20-2008, 01:50 AM
Oh well, still an amazing week for Gilles. And the top 10! :D It was really nice to see that he was still smiling and such after the close loss. I hope he maintains this attitude.

TBH, I don't even want him to go to Shanghai, I'd prefer him to rest, he's been looking really tired since the US Open already. He isn't a whiner at all, but he regularly mentions in interviews he's (mentally) tired, in Bucharest already. His 2nd half of the season has been so great, he has to feel burnt-out.
I don't care about the TMC, knowing that he is top 15 and can compete with the top guys is good enough to me for this year.

I care about the points. There are a lot of them in the TMC, and being on the cusp and not going would put him at a disadvantage, rankings-wise, moving forward.

*MJP*
10-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Congrats Gilles on a wonderful tournament :worship:
Keep it up in Lyon :yeah:

Puschkin
10-20-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't want him to go to Shanghai, but I'd love him to have a very decent run in Bercy because he has never played well in Paris and I want him to show the Parisian crowd how well he's playing now.

I understand your reasoning, but I would want to see Gilles in Shanghai, much more deserving than Ferrer, who has not done anything spectacular throughout the year and was inexistant in the second half.

Truc
10-20-2008, 06:44 AM
I guess Tulasne thinks so too for the TMC, he talks about it all the time. Really, Gilles doesn't sound so crazy about it and he always is so honest, I think he really means it. But Tulasne means today in L'Equipe that a few points can be deciding and he sounds like he would like him to play Lyon. :-/

For the rest, Tulasne means Gilles was lacking energy and there also was a problem with his return. "Gilles had spent 3 hours returning a lefthander serve yesterday, it took him a lot of time to adjust to a righthander." Not one single deuce on Murray's serve. That was the key of the match. Andy says everybody used to talk about his serve as a weakness and it has become one of his main weapons.
The rallies looked even. Andy: "Simon was supposed to be more tired than me, but hadn't he managed to string together tough matches? I saw him chase down every ball again today. It surprised me and sometimes made me make an UE."
Tulasne: "Gilles won't be a top 10 like I was, even if we both reached that level by the age of 23. I got injured afterwards, he'll keep raising."

Truc
10-20-2008, 06:47 AM
The interview - nice, as usual:
« Il me manquait de l’essence »
GILLES SIMON, incertain pour le tournoi de Lyon, avait laissé trop de plumes avant la finale.

« MURRAY TROP BON ? Simon trop nase après les 3 h 20 de combat contre Nadal ? Quelle est selon vous l’histoire de cette finale ?
– Murray a un jeu très ressemblant au mien, mais il fait plein de choses mieux que moi. Un exemple ? Le service. Ensuite, oui, il me manquait de l’essence. Je me battais comme un chien, mais chaque fois que je devais frapper un coup spécial mon appui se dérobait, je m’écrasais sur mes jambes et ça finissait en sucette. J’ai eu aussi un mal fou à fixer mon attention. C’était deux beaux points, trois tout vilains…
– C’est vrai, mais vous n’avez pas grand-chose à vous reprocher sur les deux balles de set obtenues dans le tie-break…
– Ça, c’est vous qui le dites. Ces deux balles de set, ça m’étonnerait que je les oublie de sitôt. J’ai tout donné mais, purée, qu’est-ce que ça fait ch… de perdre une finale. Je déteste ça !
– Qu’avez-vous appris sur vous pendant cette folle semaine ?
– Je me suis prouvé encore une fois que je pouvais gagner plusieurs matches super durs de suite contre des “messieurs” du jeu. J’ai aussi eu confirmation que ce n’est pas parce que t’es pas beau au début d’un tournoi que tu ne peux pas aller loin. Rien qu’avec la tête et le coeur, tu peux faire des miracles. Dix fois, je me suis vu dans l’avion avant dimanche et pourtant… Le déclic s’est passé à Indianapolis en juillet. J’étais tout seul là-bas et je jouais comme un sagouin. Zéro sensation. Mais je me suis accroché et j’ai gagné le tournoi.
– Vous êtes peut-être, notamment grâce à cette demi-finale contre Nadal, débarrassé pour de bon de la réputation de joueur défensif et “pousse-baballe”…
– On verra… Peut-être qu’on ne m’avait pas vu assez à la télé avant. Et puis les gens aiment bien se faire leur idée en trois matches. Je ne dénigre pas le mec qui juge dans son canapé, mais je me suis toujours dit qu’il pouvait se tromper. Oui, je peux attaquer et même finir un point au filet. Oui, s’il faut envoyer un pétard long de ligne, c’est dans mes cordes. Mais je suis le premier à reconnaître que ce n’est pas encore assez naturel pour moi. Je dois oser plus. Mais je fais aussi attention à ne pas vouloir tout révolutionner n’importe comment.
– Avez-vous été épaté par votre résistance physique cette semaine ?
– Pas tellement, non. Je sais que j’ai une grande endurance. Parce que je dépense moins d’énergie que les autres à la frappe. En revanche, si je dois aller faire un footing en forêt avec Nadal, Cañas ou Monfils, je suis sûr d’exploser.
« J’ai montré que je pouvais assurer »
– Il n’y a plus que six points entre vous et le huitième dans la course au Masters. Vous n’avez plus le droit de dire qu’on est maboule de croire en vos chances d’aller à Shanghai…
– J’avais dit que j’avais besoin d’un exploit en Masters Series, je l’ai. Mais il ne m’a permis que de recoller au wagon, pas de passer devant. Je persiste à dire que ce sera chaud pour moi. Ça implique de faire mieux que Del Potro ou Ferrer à Bercy, donc sans doute de battre l’un des quatre meilleurs mondiaux. Avant, il y a Lyon, mais je ne suis pas du tout sûr d’y jouer. Je déciderai aujourd’hui ou demain selon mon état physique.
– Vous êtes ce matin dixième mondial. Ça vous fait quoi ?
– Je ne le savais même pas ! C’est sûr, ou c’est encore un de vos calculs à la noix ? Sérieux, c’est magnifique ! C’est un des trucs dont je rêvais quand j’étais gosse et qu’on ne croyait pas très violemment en moi. Ça veut dire qu’il y a de moins en moins de joueurs plus forts que moi.
– Vous sentez-vous désormais à votre place parmi les tout meilleurs du monde ?
– Avant, je me sentais comme la gazelle qui doit bouffer le lion. Dans la savane, ça n’arrive jamais, ça. Je pensais que ce n’était pas normal que je batte les très grands. Mais, cette année, j’ai battu Federer, Nadal et Djokovic ; ça aide.
– Souffrez-vous d’être moins connu que Tsonga, Gasquet ou Monfils ?
– Je ne suis ni vexé ni outré. Quand j’ai gagné Marseille l’an dernier en battant Hewitt et Baghdatis, je me disais : ah, tiens, là, ça va faire causer. Et puis pschiiit… que dalle ou si peu. Je crois que le public a besoin d’être préparé à accueillir quelqu’un. En France, les gens ont été avertis que Gasquet, Tsonga et Monfils allaient débouler. Simon, on ne les avait pas prévenus. J’ai grandi doucement en gagnant des Futures. Le mec qui gagne un Futures, les gens ne sont pas censés le connaître. Mais, si ça se trouve, si j’avais fait à neuf ans la couverture de Tennis Magazine, les gens feraient les blasés comme ils le font avec Richard.
– Vous n’avez jamais joué en Coupe Davis. Estimez-vous que, maintenant que vous êtes numéro 1 français, vous êtes incontournable ?
– Jamais je ne dirai : bon, ben, maintenant, c’est réglé, on ne peut plus se passer de moi. On peut toujours se passer de tout le monde. En revanche, je pense que j’ai gagné ma place dans l’équipe dans le sens où j’ai montré que je pouvais assurer. Mais si, dans deux mois, je n’en mets plus une, ce sera normal de me laisser à la maison. »
FRÉDÉRIC BERNÈS
- Murray's game looks a lot like mine, but he does tons of things better than me. An example? The serve. And yes, I hadn't enough left in the tank. I was fighting like a dog, but everytime I needed to hit a special shot, my legs gave way beneath me and it ended badly. I also had a hell lot of trouble focusing. I was playing 2 nice points, 3 really ugly ones...

True, but you have nothing to reproach yourself with on the 2 SP in the TB...
- That's your opinion. I for myself don't think I will forget these 2 SP so soon. I gave it my best, but gosh, it sucks to lose a final. I hate that!

What did you learn during this crazy week?
- I proved to myself one more time that I was able to win very tough matches in a row against 'gentlemen' of the game. I also had the confirmation that if you're not looking good at the beginning of a tournament, it doesn't mean you won't go far. One can do miracles 'with the mind and the heart' only. Ten times I saw myself in the plane already this week, and yet... The triggering experience happened in Indianapolis in July. I was alone there and I was playing like a bungling idiot. Zero feel for my game. But I hung on and I won the tournament.

You might have rid yourself for good of your reputation of being a purely defensive "pusher", after that semi-final against Nadal...
- We'll see... Maybe people haven't seen me often enough on TV in the past. And people like making an opinion based on 3 matches. I don't criticize the guy sitting on his sofa, but I've always thought he might be wrong. Yes, I can be offensive and even finish a point at the net. Yes, if I need to hit a winner down the line, I'm up to it. But I'm the first one to admit that it isn't natural enough for me yet. I have to dare more. But I also take care not to change my whole game drastically any old how.

Were you stunned by your stamina this week?
- Not really, no. I know I have a great staying power. Because I waste less energy than the others on each shot. But if I go jogging with Nadal, Cañas and Monfils, I'm sure to implode.

Only 10 points away from the 8th spot in the Race, this time you can't call us crazy to think you can make it to Shanghai...
- I said I would need a little feat in a Masters Series, I've done it now. But I only closed the gap with the rest of the pack. I'm sticking to my opinion that it is going to be very tough for me. It means I'll have to do better than Del Potro or Ferrer in Bercy, which probably means to beat one of the top 4. There is Lyon too, but I'm not sure at all to play there. I will decide today or tomorrow depending on how I feel.

You're ranked #10 this morning. How does it feel?
- I didn't know that! Is that sure or another one of your poor calculations? Seriously, that's awesome! It's one of the things I was dreaming of as a kid when people were strongly/vigorously not believing in me [it might sound strange, but so does 'violemment' in French]. It means there are less and less players who are better than me.

You feel like you belong to the top now?
- I used to feel like a gazelle who has to eat the lion alive. That never happens in the savannah. :lol: I used to think it's not normal for me to beat the top players. But this year I beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, it helps.

Does it bother you to be less famouse than Tsonga, Gasquet or Monfils?
- I'm neither hurt nor upset. When I won Marseille last year beating Hewitt and Baghdatis in the process, I thought: ah, this time, people will talk. And pshiiiittt... nothing, or hardly anything. I guess people need to be prepared to welcome somebody. In France people were told that Gasquet, Tsonga and Monfils were going to turn up. Simon, they hadn't been warned. I progressed slowly winning Futures. People don't know the guys who win Futures. But if I had been on the cover of Tennis Magazine by the age of 9, maybe people would have lost their enthusiasm/would be blasé like they are with Richard.

You've never played in Davis Cup. Do you mean you can't be ignored anymore now that you're the French number 1?
- I will never say: OK, now, it's not possible to do without me. Nobody is indispensable. But I mean I've earned my spot on the team this time as I've showed I can deliver. That said, if I can't put a ball away anymore in 2 months, it will be fine to leave me home.

turtle-rn
10-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Gilles's interviews are always a treat to read! bluntly clever and honest. thanks for the quotation :]

rtgy
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
You feel like you belong to the top now?
- I used to feel like a gazelle who has to eat the lion alive. That never happens in the savannah. :lol: I used to think it's not normal I beat the top players. But this year I beat Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, it helps.

:rolls:

has always Gillou rocks :rocker2:

tanx Fran...

Olympus
10-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I know it's a little early, but is there any chance he'll return to Sydney?

*Raine
10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
My nerves were killing me during that tiebreak yesterday :lol:. And then Gilles was so cute in his speech, at one point it looked like he was going to sing :hearts::hearts::hearts:.

What a great week for Gilles :worship:.

Tutu
10-20-2008, 11:36 AM
He's so honest in his interviews. :rolls: Definatly one of the best personalities.

Yeah, the thing about missing YEC is that he would bein like 9th place and then the people who were only a couple of points in front would increase the distance by like at least 100 points, and that would be a disaster. But lets see anyway. He'll need a good draw in Paris so fingers crossed.

Truc
10-20-2008, 12:12 PM
I hadn't thought of that, it's true it gives the guys 100 extra points. But that's not how he seems to think at all. Here's what he says in Le Parisien:

A mes yeux, ça reste un bonus. C’est intéressant à jouer, assez prestigieux mais ça n’a pas le standing d’un Grand Chelem. Si j’y allais, ça serait pour me faire plaisir. Pour me mesurer encore à Nadal et Federer, je suis toujours partant. Si j’y vais, très bien. Si je n’y vais pas, je ne serai pas au fond de la mine. Si je perds très tôt à Bercy, je serai déçu d’avoir perdu à Bercy, pas d’avoir raté le Masters.
For me it remains an extra. It's an interesting event to play, quite prestigious, but not as much as a Grand Slam. I would go there to enjoy it. I'm always ready to pit myself against Federer and Nadal, you can always count me in. If I go there, great. If I don't, I won't be depressed. If I lose in the first rounds in Bercy, I will be disappointed to have lost in Bercy, not to have missed the qualification for the Masters Cup.

Truc
10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Here's the whole interview:
« Le Masters reste un bonus »

- Arrivez-vous à identifier les changements qui ont fait de vous un joueur plus fort cette année ?
- Gilles Simon. Je pense que c’est essentiellement dans ma capacité à enchaîner les matchs physiquement. Je m’en suis rendu compte cet été à Toronto où, après avoir battu Federer au 2e tour, je suis allé loin jusqu’en demi-finale. J’ai réalisé que mes limites physiques se situaient plus loin que je ne le pensais. Là encore contre Murray, je me disais que j’étais fatigué et puis, je l’emmène quand même dans un tie-break… J’ai surpris mon monde en plusieurs occasions.
- En quoi avez-vous encore progressé ?
- Ces deux dernières années, j’ai battu pas mal de top 10. A partir de là, il ne me manquait « que » la régularité. J’ai progressé un peu partout : dans ma confiance en moi, dans mon jeu vers l’avant et beaucoup côté coup droit, alors que par le passé j’appréhendais cette gamme.
- Qu’avez-vous ressenti durant ce match extraordinaire gagné face à Nadal ?
- C’était vraiment intense. Je n’avais pas grand monde derrièremoi. La satisfaction, c’est que par moments il se posait des questions. Je l’ai poussé dans ses retranchements. Mentalement, Nadal est un exemple, un joueur dont je m’inspire, capable de sauter sur place avant de négocier une balle de break contre lui… Arriver à le battre, ça représente quelque chose pour moi. Après, je n’ai pas eu le temps de beaucoup réfléchir, ni de beaucoup savourer. J’étais juste très fier de moi.
- Ce matin, vous allez vous retrouver 9e ou 10e joueur mondial. Avez-vous des inquiétudes sur votre aptitude à gérer cette nouvelle situation ?
- Non, je me contente d’aller le plus loin possible dans chaque tournoi que je joue et il se trouve que j’arrive à faire des saisons pleines. Ce classement est bien fait. Il reflète bien ton niveau à tout moment de la saison. Si tu te retrouves 10e, c’est que tu le mérites sur les cinquante-deux dernières semaines…
- Vous avez maintenant une vraie chance de décrocher un ticket pour le Masters de Shanghai…
- A mes yeux, ça reste un bonus. C’est intéressant à jouer, assez prestigieux mais ça n’a pas le standing d’un Grand Chelem. Si j’y allais, ça serait pour me faire plaisir. Pour me mesurer encore à Nadal et Federer, je suis toujours partant. Si j’y vais, très bien. Si je n’y vais pas, je ne serai pas au fond de la mine. Si je perds très tôt à Bercy, je serai déçu d’avoir perdu à Bercy, pas d’avoir raté le Masters.
Propos recueillis par Lionel Chami He says his main improvements are: the ability to string together tough matches, he surprised himself in Toronto in that regard and even against Murray, he thought he was so tired and still took him to a TB. He improved a little bit in every regard: the confidence, the game forward and especially on the FH side, where he wasn't feeling so comfortable in the past.
The satisfaction in the Nadal match was to see Nadal doubting. Nadal is a model for him, he is inspired by him mentally, for example by his way to jump before playing a BP against him... So it really means something for him to be able to beat Nadal.
He isn't worried about having to handle his new ranking, he just focusses on every tournament and tries to go far.

And Tulasne says again he isn't worried it will be just a fluke run since it's the result of a constant improvement over the years, but they'll have to think well about his schedule in the future. It would be reasonable to skip Lyon. But because of the TMC he will only pull out if he's not able to play. :-/
And during the off season they will focus on his serve (= work on the serve motion itself, but also on the 2nd shot after the serve and do more body building ^^).

Tutu
10-20-2008, 12:46 PM
The first serve actually isn't that bad - he hit 12 aces in one match this week. Its his second serve which is atrocious and would get killed even on the WTA (:rolls:) and when he isn't getting his first serve in (i.e at 6-5 and 6-6 in the TB, he will get murdered 9/10 against top 10 players.

Tutu
10-20-2008, 12:52 PM
I hadn't thought of that, it's true it gives the guys 100 extra points. But that's not how he seems to think at all. Here's what he says in Le Parisien:

A mes yeux, ça reste un bonus. C’est intéressant à jouer, assez prestigieux mais ça n’a pas le standing d’un Grand Chelem. Si j’y allais, ça serait pour me faire plaisir. Pour me mesurer encore à Nadal et Federer, je suis toujours partant. Si j’y vais, très bien. Si je n’y vais pas, je ne serai pas au fond de la mine. Si je perds très tôt à Bercy, je serai déçu d’avoir perdu à Bercy, pas d’avoir raté le Masters.
For me it remains an extra. It's an interesting event to play, quite prestigious, but not as much as a Grand Slam. I would go there to enjoy it. I'm always ready to pit myself against Federer and Nadal, you can always count me in. If I go there, great. If I don't, I won't be depressed. If I lose in the first rounds in Bercy, I will be disappointed to have lost in Bercy, not to have missed the qualification for the Masters Cup.

Yeah, I get you. Anyway this is the best way to think as it means he isn't putting pressure and expectations on himself to get there. And if he gets there im sure he will give it 97897987979%. :)

I like the sound of people calling him "The Hingis of the ATP". Its definatly a step up from "Pusher mug". :rolls:

Truc
10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
An interview of Tulasne on lequipe.fr, he will play in Lyon because Tulasne means he will play on Wednesday in the evening session: :fiery:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20081020_153107_tulasne-beaucoup-d-emotion_Dev.html

Truc
10-20-2008, 02:33 PM
"We're going to do everything possible to overtake Del Potro and also Ferrer who isn't far."

Gilles was very disappointed after the final. He had won his last 5 finals, and even if he was just at 80% of his physical abilities, he felt like he had his chances.
He really needs to improve his serve because his serve is 10-20 km/h slower than everybody else in the top 10. He needs to have more strength in the shoulder to be able to serve harder. He's very impressive technically.
They used to tease each other with the fact that Tulasne had been in the top 10 and Gilles swore to Thierry a couple of years ago that he would do as well.

2moretogo
10-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Awww thanks for all of the translated interviews. I watched the match on repeat after I got home and Gilles was fighting, but you could see that there wasn't much left in the tank. I love how realistic he is with the opinion of his game, and that he doesn't go with all of the hype.

Scotso
10-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Well I have no doubt now that Gilles can keep improving. The leaps he's made in just the last few months really make you think he can accomplish anything he sets his mind to.

Truc
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I took a look at the Race, but I'm not very good at this kind of things.
Ferrer isn't playing anywhere and is 7 points ahead, so Gilles will need to make it to the semi of Lyon to overtake him. (Delpo can add plenty of points in Basel, I doubt Gilles can pass him - but he belongs to Shanghai anyway, that's fine.)
And Blake and Wawrinka can overtake Gilles this week if they win in Basel (Wawa would just need to make the final there, I think).

Is that right? So we just need to keep an eye on Blake and Wawa (and hope somebody takes out Karlovic in Lyon because I don't want another Simon-Karlovic QF.)

Renaud
10-20-2008, 07:13 PM
I took a look at the Race, but I'm not very good at this kind of things.
Ferrer isn't playing anywhere and is 7 points ahead, so Gilles will need to make it to the semi of Lyon to overtake him. (Delpo can add plenty of points in Basel, I doubt Gilles can pass him - but he belongs to Shanghai anyway, that's fine.)
And Blake and Wawrinka can overtake Gilles this week if they win in Basel (Wawa would just need to make the final there, I think).

Is that right? So we just need to keep an eye on Blake and Wawa (and hope somebody takes out Karlovic in Lyon because I don't want another Simon-Karlovic QF.)

Everything is right, Francoise. :)
And Wawa is already out now.....
I don't think it's a good thing he plays Lyon. He should focus on Bercy just hoping doing better than Ferrer there...

Truc
10-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, and the chances of Blake to win Basel with Federer, Del Potro, Nalbandian, Berdych & Co. in the draw...
Gilles will most probably go into Bercy ranked #9 in the Race anyway. I really wish he would rest, I'll be pissed if he loses early in Bercy looking tired.

:topic: I saw Jo still has a very decent chance to make it to Shanghai, hasn't he? I can see him win Lyon and do well in Bercy, why is everybody acting as if it was over for him now after Madrid?

rtgy
10-20-2008, 09:45 PM
:topic: I saw Jo still has a very decent chance to make it to Shanghai, hasn't he? I can see him win Lyon and do well in Bercy, why is everybody acting as if it was over for him now after Madrid?

Frannie i'm not sure about that.............. i look the stats and he will need a title in Lyon(:)) and then at least to go to the final in Paris...........i don't think that he has chances to do that. and even if that happened he will need a huge luck to qualified.......maybe not this time, but anything can happen of course!

rtgy
10-20-2008, 09:56 PM
here is the link:
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/racepointsbreakdown.asp?player=T786

he could replace Sydney (0)pts. with Lyon (35) - [ i'm not sure about this pts. ]
and then he'll need at least a final in Bercy...i'm not sure he can make it, sorry.

Truc
10-21-2008, 05:50 AM
He would gain 45 points with a title in Lyon. That's what I meant, winning Lyon and then going very far in Bercy, I think it's not that crazy since he's fresh as a daisy, unlike Gilles. But never mind.

The latest news of Gilles ("The hero is hiding") :lol::
Le héros se cache
APRÈS UNE GRASSE matinée (méritée !), le nouveau top 10 est allé hier déjeuner et faire des soins à Roland-Garros avant d’aller se cacher dans sa tanière pour récupérer. « Il n’a voulu répondre à aucune sollicitation, a fait savoir pour lui son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne. Et il y en a eu beaucoup ! Un truc de fou... Il m’a appelé en début de soirée. Il avait les jambes molles, mais il n’avait mal nulle part. » D’une voix pâteuse indiquant son état, le héros madrilène a simplement répondu à quelques questions sur le site Internet de la FFT. Extraits : « J’ai vécu là-bas un moment mémorable que je sens déjà disparaître. Car, là, j’ai un gros coup de barre ! Les regrets arrivent. Mais je pars pour Lyon (ce matin) car c’est un tournoi très important dans la course au Masters. Ceux qui seront devant au classement à Bercy auront un avantage. Le Masters, ça n’a pas pour moi l’importance d’un tournoi d’un Grand Chelem ou même de Bercy. Mais se dire qu’on peut jouer là-bas avec les meilleurs, ça fait envie. » Demain, Gilles Simon disputera son premier tour à Lyon contre Juan Monaco.He was in RG yesterday to get some treatment, he's very tired, but not injured, not in pain, and he will play on Wednesday.

Truc
10-21-2008, 05:55 AM
And here's a very long audio interview he gave to the FFT yesterday for the French speakers, he sounds EXHAUSTED :eek: :
http://www.fft.fr/bnpparibasmasters/2008/?ID=4161

There also is a long article about him in l'Equipe today - what the other players in Lyon say about him and his run in Madrid, I'll post it in the interviews thread since it's more general stuff.

Truc
10-21-2008, 07:00 AM
I just noticed L'Equipe has a little review of all the French players who have made it to the top 10 - Tulasne was in the top 10 for *one freaking week* in his whole career! :lol: Very generous from him to say yesterday he thinks Gilles will do better then. :p

Gilles says in the audio interview it's important for him to be top 10 at one point, but it would mean more to him him to end the year in the top 10. Not just to be there for one week in the middle of the season.

tedlesurfeur
10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
he could replace Sydney (0)pts. with Lyon (35) - [ i'm not sure about this pts. ]
and then he'll need at least a final in Bercy...i'm not sure he can make it, sorry.

Even if he finishes No.9..one withdrawal can get him in.

Truc
10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Center Court, not before 19:00
Gilles Simon (4) c. Juan Monaco (Arg)
Josselin Ouanna (WC) c. Nicolas Lapentti (Ecu)

They've played 5 times, but always on clay. Gilles leads 3-2 (2-1 on the main tour).

Tutu
10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
GL Gilles. Allez.

Truc
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20081021_182335_simon-compte-sur-lyon_Dev.html
He's tired, he's not at his best, but he feels rested enough to defend his chances. At least better than on the day of the final. ^^ He thought about skipping Lyon, but he decided to play because of the points and because it's a French tournament.
He seems a bit annoyed by the Simonmania.*

* Not so much, after having watched the video of the press conference, the article made it sound worse than it is, he says he's not a fan of it, but he laughes.
Tulasne says it's crazy, people seem to have discovered last week that Gilles Simon was playing tennis. (A lot of people seem to have discovered that he's good-looking too, I see plenty of "Allez Gilles, t'es trop beau!" comments out of the blue on blogs, etc. :lol: )

rtgy
10-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Even if he finishes No.9..one withdrawal can get him in.

yeah...........has i said already anything can happen.........;)

rtgy
10-22-2008, 02:46 PM
i found this mistake at atptennis.com

:confused:
GRAND PRIX DE TENNIS DE LYON
Lyon, Russia

:rolls:

Frannie obviously Lyon had become very russian those days......:lol:

Truc
10-22-2008, 07:56 PM
2-6 6-4 6-1.
One of his worst matches for a long, long time, but good job to come back from 2-6 2-4 under the pressure and win it somehow, it was not a given the way he was playing.

Seppi now (what a :drool: match) not before 16:00 tomorrow:
2005 Casablanca QF Clay (O) G.SIMON 1-6 5-7
2005 Wimbledon 32 Grass (O) A.SEPPI 2-6 5-7 6-2 6-2 7-5
2006 Valencia QF Clay (O) G.SIMON 6-7(2) 6-7(4)
2006 Palermo 32 Clay (O) G.SIMON 0-6 7-6(6) 2-6

Scotso
10-22-2008, 08:48 PM
That Wimbledon match pissed me off more than almost any other tennis match in history. :p

Guy Haines
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Lyon, Russia. :lol:

Gilles sure doesn't like to do anything easy.

Keep on trucking, Gilles.

tedlesurfeur
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
2-6 6-4 6-1.
One of his worst matches for a long, long time, but good job to come back from 2-6 2-4 under the pressure and win it somehow, it was not a given the way he was playing.

Let's be careful, The Juan Monaco of 2008's second half is not the Juan Monaco we knew before !! He kinda plays like.. an ordinary top 100 :sad: I'm sad because I like him very much.

So, thank god Gillou won that match !! I would've been surprised otherwise. :p

Truc
10-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm very "careful", it was one of his ugliest performances of the year and Pico completely fell apart in the 3rd set, I never said it was a great win! Kudos to Gilles for hanging on, that's it.

*If* he manages to beat Seppi, he would play Ouanna in the QF to reach his goal = the SF (he says in interviews that he's there to win the whole thing, but he better pull the tank job of all time if he reaches the SF). Ouanna is the protégé of Potier, Gilles' former coach who now refuses to even mention his name, so he won't do Gilles a favour imo. ^^

As for the Seppi match tomorrow, Gilles says again in his audio interview that they know each other very well with Andreas, often practices together, he knows how to play him. But he feels mentally very tired.

Truc
10-22-2008, 10:14 PM
That Wimbledon match pissed me off more than almost any other tennis match in history. :pWhy?

simplet
10-22-2008, 11:26 PM
What's the story with his former coach? Was he really bad before? Did he make his daughter pregnant before leaving?

Truc
10-23-2008, 06:44 AM
:lol: Maybe!
I have no idea. Potier really seems a bit special too, so it's not so surprising. French coaches often are very protective with their players and saying they're such amazing persons, while Potier really kept poking fun at Gilles in interviews back in 2006, it must have been a bit explosive.

Truc
10-23-2008, 06:49 AM
In l'Equipe today:Un nouveau tour de passe-passe
Mené 6-2, 4-2 par l’Argentin Monaco, Gilles Simon s’est finalement imposé en trois sets. Comme d’habitude…

VOUS AIMEZ LE COMIQUE de répétition ? Alors, demandez Gilles Simon ! Hier soir, à Gerland, le Français a vogué dans les mêmes eaux que lors de sa folle semaine madrilène. En Espagne, le numéro 10 mondial avait opéré quelques spectaculaires retournements de situation (notamment face à Andreev et à Ginepri, pour un total de six balles de match écartées) et remporté cinq matches en trois sets, dont quatre au tie-break du troisième. À Lyon, il n’a pas poussé la plaisanterie aussi loin, mais se trouvait tout de même bien mal embarqué au coeur du deuxième acte : après une heure onze, son adversaire, l’Argentin Juan Monaco, menait en effet 6-2, 4-2. Cinquante sept minutes plus tard, Simon l’estoquait 2-6, 6-4, 6-1. Il y a du Houdini chez ce gringalet du mollet. La tête, mon bon monsieur, vaut tous les muscles du monde.
Durant plus d’une heure, il fallut pourtant se pincer pour reconnaître le joueur qui mit le genou de Nadal à terre en demi-finales de Madrid. Clé de son jeu, le timing jouait les abonnés absents. « Gilles ne trouvait pas le bon rythme de frappe, expliqua son coach, Thierry Tulasne. Soit il était en retard, soit il était en avance. Il fallait aussi s’habituer à la surface, qui rebondit moins qu’à Madrid, et aux balles, qui sont plus rapides mais qui volent moins. Ce n’est pas par hasard si on s’arrange toujours pour arriver tôt sur les tournois. Là, vu les circonstances, on n’a pas eu le choix. On a vu le résultat. »
Le roi de la bascule
Quatorzième joueur mondial en février, Monaco excelle en fond de court, où sa technique (presque trop) propre trouve matière à s’exprimer. Mais cette qualité de frappe et l’intensité qu’il imprime aux échanges firent indirectement l’affaire de son rival. Une fois habitué aux conditions de jeu, Simon remit son ouvrage à l’endroit. Deux jeux firent basculer la rencontre. Le premier, à 4-2 au deuxième set, permit au Français de libérer son bras au service. Le second, en suivant, lui offrit sa première ouverture en retour. Il ne laissa pas filer sa chance. « Franchement, le début de match m’a fait très mal, reconnut Simon. Je perds trois jeux en ayant l’impression de faire de gros efforts, à la fois pour m’habituer à la surface et pour encaisser des échanges extrêmement longs. Quand je m’assois sur ma chaise à 4-1, double break, le réveil est plutôt difficile… D’autant que j’ai l’impression d’avoir fait le boulot. Mais je ne me suis jamais découragé. À 4-2 au deuxième, j’arrive à retrouver de l’agressivité en finissant deux super échanges au filet. Et à 4-3 il me donne deux deuxièmes balles. J’attaque les retours : 0-30, il y a un coup à jouer, ce n’est plus la même histoire… Pour finir, je gagne un jeu très long et très important à 4 partout (où il sauve trois balles de break)… Voilà, c’est ce qu’on appelle une bascule ! »
L’affaire pourrait amuser le Français, jamais avare d’une réflexion paradoxale. Sauf que, pas tant que ça… «Faut pas croire que j’aime ces matches à rallonge, dit-il. J’aurais préféré lui coller deux bulles… Honnêtement, j’aurais aimé être plus conquérant. Mais je ne suis pas vraiment parvenu à faire des changements de rythme ou à le déborder. Rien à voir avec le match contre Nadal, par exemple. Il y avait sans doute pas mal de fatigue mentale. Ça aurait pu être le match traquenard par excellence. Mais je l’ai gagné et c’est l’essentiel. »
Le scénario de la partie ravissait davantage son entraîneur. Y compris le premier chapitre, pourtant déficitaire en termes de jeux. « Au-delà de la victoire, le gros point positif, c’est que Gilles a passé beaucoup de temps sur le court, expliqua Tulasne, sans rigoler le moins du monde. Il a eu le temps de se régler sur la surface et de se remotiver pour un nouveau challenge. Rien de tel qu’un match dur pour entrer de plain-pied dans un tournoi. Il y a eu beaucoup de satisfactions dans ce match. Revenir de 6-2, 4-2, c’est la marque d’un vrai champion. » À tout le moins, celle d’un vrai numéro 10 mondial. Simon n’a pas volé son dossard.
VINCENT COGNET If you like the comedy of repetition, Gilles Simon is for you as he pulled another Houdini yesterday.
During one hour, though, it was hard to recognize the player who had beaten Nadal on Saturday. No timing at all, and it's the key of his game. Tulasne means that he was hitting the ball either too early or too late. He had trouble adjusting to the surface (lower bounce than in Madrid) and to the balls (faster than in Madrid, but they don't fly so much). "There is a reason why we always try to arrive early at a tournament. This time, we had no choice. You saw the result."
Gilles: he means the first part of the match hurt a lot. He was trying so hard to adjust to the surface, the rallies were extremely long. When he sat down at 4-1, double break for Pico, it was a hard wake-up... All the more since he felt like he was doing his job. But he never gave up. At 4-2 he managed to recover his aggressiveness and finish two great rallies at the net. At 4-3 Pico offered him two 2nd serves, he went for his returns: 0-30, he had a chance again, everything was looking different... He won a very important game at 4-4 (where he saved 3 BP)... And voilà, that's how a match changes course.
People might think it amuses him, but not really, he doesn't like these never-ending matches. He would have loved to be more 'masterful', but he wasn't able to vary the pace enough or to hit winners against Pico. Completely different from the match against Nadal. Probably the mental exhaustion too. It could have been a really tricky match, but he won, that's the most important thing.
Tulasne sounds much happier about the match, including the not pretty first part: "The very positive thing is that Gilles spent a lot of time on the court", he says very seriously. :rolls: It gave him time to adjust to the surface and to find back his motivation for this new challenge. Nothing better than a hard match to enter a tournament. This match has been a source of great satisfaction for Tulasne, coming back from 6-2 4-2 shows Gilles is a real champion. ^^

*Raine
10-23-2008, 06:55 AM
I went to bed last night after the 1st set because it was getting pretty late here. I was hoping he can still turn the match around :D and he did :banana: :worship:. It sure did make me smile when I saw the result.

Seppi next? I agree that is a :drool: match. Well the one with Monaco is :drool: for me, I wish I saw the match. :o

Truc
10-23-2008, 07:01 AM
And in his post-match interview I posted in the video thread, he means he was playing well right from the beginning in his opinion. ^^ (He's a bit in denial sometimes! But whatever works for you, Gillou.)
About his ability to turn around matches lately: he says it's due to Santoro. They talked about that and Fabrice told him he had the same problem when he was younger, he got really worked up about the loss of a 1st set, got tense, their discussions helped Gilles to handle this kind of situation better.
He says his goal is to win the title here.
Since he's mentally and physically very tired, he'll have to take pleasure in playing, try to hit nice shots, enjoy his tennis, etc.
He does think of the Masters Cup a little bit off court, but not at all on the court, he really just focuses on his opponent.

He looks tired!

Tutu
10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Just 2 more and then you can tank, Gilles. :rolls:

Pepi.
10-23-2008, 06:00 PM
take the tittle, please!
:)

Scotso
10-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Why?

It was in my early days of Gillesex fandom, and he was so close to qualifying. I thought he had it in the bad, and then watched in horror for three more sets as he completely blew it. :p

Truc
10-23-2008, 07:45 PM
take the tittle, please!
:)No way! He's really in surviving mode atm. He just needs to win more match and then get double bagelled please.

Truc
10-23-2008, 07:47 PM
In his audio interview on the FFT website http://www.fft.fr/gptl/2008/?id=4182, he means they were striking the ball well today and playing good rallies, but Andreas was countering so well everytime Gilles was trying to be more offensive, it was really tough again, he had to run so much today to win that match.
He knows that it will be tough tomorrow to get his legs moving, but that doesn't scare him.
He is extremely happy to play against Joss because they know each other since they were 14 years old and they've followed the same path, in Poitiers, at the INSEP, in RG, etc. He is so happy for Joss that he finally breaks through.

So they know each other very well, Joss also says in his interview he's used to Gilles' game and he can't rely on the surprise factor for tomorrow!
They'll play not before 16.00 again.

Tutu
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
No way! He's really in surviving mode atm. He just needs to win more match and then get double bagelled please.

Although I wouldn't mind watching him make a fool out of baldy. :rolls:

Truc
10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
His h2h against The Toad, 2-2:
2007 Zagreb 32 Carpet (I) R.SODERLING 3-6 7-6(5) 7-6(4)
2007 Marseille SF Hard (I) G.SIMON 2-6 6-7(2)
2008 Rotterdam SF Hard (I) R.SODERLING 6-2 6-1 (unforgotten!)
2008 Olympic Tennis Event 64 Hard (O) G.SIMON 4-6 4-6

COURT CENTRAL
A partir de 14h30
Robin Söderling (Swe/7) c. Gilles Simon (4)

Truc
10-24-2008, 05:24 PM
He plays the winner of Andreev-Mathieu in Bercy (+ Roddick) and Ferrer the winner of Kohli-Youzhny (+ Blake). Looks quite even to me, Blake might be easier to beat than Roddick, though.

[7] Andy Roddick vs Bye
Janko Tipsarevic vs Feliciano Lopez
Paul-Henri Mathieu vs Igor Andreev
Bye vs [10] Gilles Simon

[13] Jo Wilfred Tsonga vs Bye
Marc Giquel vs Radek Stepanek
Adrian Mannarino (WC) vs Dmitry Tursunov
Bye vs [3] Novak Djokovic

[5] David Ferrer vs Bye
Phillip Kohlschreiber vs Mikhail Youzhny
Qualifier vs Jarkko Niemenen
Bye vs [11] James Blake

[14] Richard Gasquet vs Bye
Marin Cilic vs Andreas Seppi
Josselin Ouanna (WC) vs Robin Soderling
Bye vs [2] Roger Federer

Truc
10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
From the tournament website:
"It's becoming really tough physically. I felt completely drained at the beginning of the 2nd set, I was scared." "I had trouble focussing and as a result I was less efficient in return. I gave free points, which is uncommon for me."
So he tried to play with restricted means, taking advantage of the UE of Ouanna. "I was trying not to raise the intensity of the game to use as less energy as possible."
"When you're tired, you improve in other regards. I was less tense, for example, which allowed me to be more efficient on serve and from the baseline."
About Söderling: "We played 4 times, I won twice. I remember he impressed me in Rotterdam. Playing Söderling indoors is not to my advantage, but now that I know him, I won't get caught in his game."

He scared me too when he almost collapsed in the middle of a serve motion in the 2nd set! People don't see he's tired because he has the same impassive face, but it's so obvious in his movement, the small steps, he gets caught on the wrong foot...
Maybe he felt so exhausted today too because of the pressure (had he lost today, he would have done all this for nothing) and he will feel better tomorrow.

Truc
10-24-2008, 06:33 PM
And his audio interview:
It was much harder today physically than during his first two matches, he hopes that having a shorter match will help. Luckily he was serving well and he tried to finish more points at the net since he felt knackered.
He can't afford to tank tomorrow as he needs every single point he can gain here, he hasn't a big margin for Bercy.

In Rotterdam he probably went into the match feeling too confident. He thought he was knowing Söderling well, the placement of his serve, etc. But Robin surprised him there and he was totally outplayed. He has learned from his mistakes during this match, which showed already in Beijing.
Now playing him indoors again will be another story because his serve is so hard to return on that surface.

Truc
10-25-2008, 07:05 AM
In L'Equipe:La Chine en vue
Vainqueur de Ouanna (6-3, 7-5), Gilles Simon est aujourd’hui huitième dans la course au Masters, qui se déroulera à Shanghaï, du 9 au 16 novembre. Son destin est entre ses mains.

GILLES SIMON a bien fait de se lever le pied léger, mardi matin. Et de décider dans la foulée de faire le voyage pour Lyon, malgré la fatigue née de sa semaine à Madrid et la décompression qui lui grilla lundi les neurones. Entre prudence, qui lui conseillait de garder toute son énergie pour Bercy, et audace, qui lui recommandait de grappiller le moindre point avant ce sprint final, le Français avait privilégié l’option no 2. Il a perçu hier après-midi les bénéfices de cet investissement, somme toute risqué. Deux résultats quasi concomitants l’ont en effet projeté au huitième rang de la Race, le classement qui décide du nom des huit maîtres de Shanghai : sa propre qualification pour les demi-finales de Lyon (qui lui octroie dix points supplémentaires) ; et la défaite de James Blake à Bâle face à Feliciano Lopez. En quelques jours, Simon a quitté son costume de chasseur pour enfiler celui de gibier. Mais il sera le dernier à s’en plaindre : il lui suffit désormais d’égaler à Paris le résultat de ses rivaux les plus probables (Ferrer, Del Potro, Blake) pour commander son billet d’avion. En clair : il a son destin en mains. Un dernier coup de reins à Bercy et la Chine lui ouvrira ses portes.
Sa performance lyonnaise est d’autant plus impressionnante que son organisme s’est hier soudainement rappelé à lui. Simon subit en effet contre Josselin Ouanna le contrecoup des dix-sept heures et cinquante minutes passées sur le court en moins de deux semaines.« J’ai eu un gros coup de mou, reconnut-il. Déjà, avant le match, j’avais du mal à fixer ma concentration. Ça s’est surtout vu en retour de service. Et puis, je n’avais pas beaucoup de jambes quand “Josse” me faisait voyager de droite à gauche… » Le paradoxe veut que le numéro 10 mondial décrocha pourtant sa première victoire en deux sets (6-3, 7-5) depuis… sa finale à Bucarest, mi-septembre. Étonnant ? Pas vraiment. Avec Simon, la surprise est souvent au bout du chemin.
« Sur un rythme pépère »
Les raisons de ce succès rapide (1 h 12) tiennent en deux lignes : une qualité de service jamais démentie et une volonté clairement affichée de la jouer profil bas. « Heureusement, contre Josse, il y avait bien moins d’intensité que dans les rencontres précédentes, expliqua Simon. Et j’ai tout fait pour ne pas en rajouter. Je ne voulais surtout pas enflammer le match. Je voulais jouer sur un rythme pépère. Résultat, il n’y a pas eu de bagarre. J’ai surtout été bon au service et sur le deuxième coup de l’échange. Ce qui est bien, quand on est fatigué, c’est qu’on gagne énormément en relâchement. De ce point de vue, c’était donc presque un avantage. Mais c’est vrai qu’il y a certains jeux que je ne jouais même pas pour ne pas griller d’énergie. »
Il lui en faudra pour défier aujourd’hui Robin Söderling, tombeur d’Andy Roddick (7-6, 7-6) au terme d’un match de matraqueurs nés. Pour avoir affronté le Suédois quatre fois, le Français ne pénétrera pas en terrain inconnu. Vainqueur de leur dernier face-à-face (aux Jeux Olympiques de Pékin), Simon avait en revanche subi une véritable fessée, en février dernier, en demi-finale de Rotterdam. La correction avait été courte (50 minutes), mais ultraviolente (6-2, 6-1). Il n’a rien oublié de cette démolition en règle. « C’était déjà en indoor,comme ici, et j’avais pris des missiles pendant tout le match, rappelle-t-il. C’est sûr que je préférerais le jouer à Hambourg, sur terre et sous la pluie, mais bon… Cela dit, j’avais déjà tiré des leçons avant de le retrouver à Pékin. À Rotterdam, il m’avait détruit avec son service et son coup droit croisé. Pour le service, il n’y a pas grand-chose que je puisse faire. À l’échange, en revanche, il y a clairement des zones qu’il ne faut pas toucher. Je ne vais pas me laisser piéger. Söderling est très bon dans ce qu’il maîtrise. Mais il a beaucoup de mal quand on le sort de ses rails. »
Un nouveau succès assurerait à Simon onze points supplémentaires. On ressortirait ainsi les calculettes. Mais le Français ne veut pas crever sa bulle. « Je reste beaucoup plus concentré sur mes performances que sur celles des autres, dit-il. Si je continue comme ça, j’ai de grandes chances d’aller à Shanghai. Voilà, je suis dans mon sprint final… Et je me dis que, plus que jamais, j’ai toutes les cartes en mains. Je n’ai pas fait le voyage pour rien. » Celui pour Shanghai n’est plus qu’à une portée de raquette.
VINCENT COGNET He was completely knackered yesterday, and yet, it was his first win in 2 sets since the 14th of September. Surprising? Not really, since this is Gilles Simon.
"Fortunately, there was less intensity against Josse than in the other matches. And I did everything I could to not raise the intensity. My only idea was to prevent the match from 'catching fire' [I confirm he did a good job!]. I was just trying to play at a nice quiet pace. As a result, there was no fight. I was particularly good on my serve and on the second shot in the rallies. The positive point, when you're so tired, is that you're much more relax. It almost was an advantage. But it's true I tanked a few games to save my energy."
He will need it for today, he hasn't forgotten the big spanking of Rotterdam. "I sure would prefer to play him in Hambourg, on clay, on a rainy day, but well... That said, I have learned from my mistakes. In Rotterdam he destroyed me with his serve and his cross FH. For the serve, there is not much I can do. But in the rallies, there clearly are some areas I need to avoid. I won't get caught in it. Söderling is very good at what he does well. But he has a lot of trouble as soon as you take him 'off the rails'."

Truc
10-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I hope he knows what he's doing (but he usually does), I'm so afraid he runs out of gas next week like he did in Cincy against Blake, which was a nightmare to watch. The situation was similar, he had just played 2 very tough tournaments in a row and had no gas left in the tank after 4 games, couldn't even serve anymore and was standing out there shouting "J'ai plus de jambes!" If that happens in Paris again... I hope he regenerates better indoors!
It would be too pathetic to watch him trying to drag himself across the finish line in Bercy and possibly be overtaken there by Ferrer (and JWT in my opinion) who will be much fresher. Plus all the others.

And I basically don't mind Jo going to Shanghai instead of Gilles as I think he would probably do a better job there, but after all the "French number 1" buzz, it would be embarrassing. I wish the French media would give us a break with that BS, even if I'm thrilled Gilles finally gets the recognition he deserves. He can totally be the number 2 next week already.

Pepi.
10-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Good luck today!
hopefully a tsonga-simon final :)

Marine
10-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Article Le Parisien, yesterday: "Simon n'a pas que des amis"

Si Gilles Simon esperait une haie d'honneur de ses compatriotes à son arrivée à Lyon, pour saluer son statut de nouveau N° 1 français, c'est râté.
Morceaux choisis.
"Gilles 10ème mondial, c'est rassurant pour les autres joueurs", a d'abord lâché Sebastien Grosjean, avant d'en remettre une couche.
"J'ai été impressionné par son parcours à Madrid mais pas par son jeu".
"Ce que m'inspire le nouveau numéro 1 français ? Rien..." ajoute Paul Henri Mathieu, qui finit par répondre en insistant un peu: "Personnellement, il ne me fait pas rêver".

Avec un petite sourire malin, Gilles Simon ne se démonte pas face aux critiques. " Je ne l'attendais pas forcément à faire l'unanimité, et si je ne la fais pas, ça ne me pose aucun problème. Pour moi il n'y a que la vérité du terrain qui compte. La vérité, c'est que je finis 10ème. On ne pourra pas dire que je ne l'ai pas mérité."
Clairement, le Niçois récolte-là le fruit de sa personnalité en marge (conservatoire de piano, bac S avec mention, ça détonne dans ce milieu) à qui on fait payer certaines déclarations impertinentes.
Avant de défier Richard Gasquet au deuxième tour de l'us open en 2006, Simon avait, par exemple, surpris son monde: "On est 2 joueurs assez talentueux, on n'a pas de limites tennistiques. Je comprends les craintes de Richard". Résultat: 6-0, 6-2, 6-3 Gasquet.
Pour certains, Gilles Simon aurait "le melon".
"S'il l'a ? Je ne répondrai pas à cette question, glisse Julien Benneteau. Disons qu'il a une confiance naturelle en lui et c'est un atout indéniable. Moi je suis d'accord avec Sebastien. Intrinsequement, il n'est pas meilleur que nous".
"Son ascension intéresse les journalistes parce qu'il était moins médiatisé, mais il y aura peut-être un nouveau numéro 1 français dans 2 semaines" rappelle PHM. Sous-entendu, Jo Wiflried Tsonga ferait une meilleure publicité pour le tennis.
Tous ne lui tombent pas dessus. Richarad Gasquet salue plutôt son successeur. "Lorsque je l'avais joué à Wimbledon, il éait 29ème et j'avais noté don très gros potentiel. Il ne fait pas une faute en fond de court et il court mieux que la plupart de tous les joueurs. Je lui souhaite de se qualifier pour Shanghai".
Resté à Paris, Gael Monfils se déclare même "très content pour lui. Là où Gilles a progressé c'est physiquement. Il a eu une belle évolution. Je pense qu'il peut aller encore plus haut".
Ouf, c'est déjç plus confraternel.

I must admit I'm very surprised by seb, paulo and bennet's comments. :rolleyes:

Truc
10-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Yes, I also posted an article about it here:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7762556&postcount=110
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7762580&postcount=111
And Paulo's reaction in his press conference when he was asked about Gilles was quite obvious too, we talked about it in Paulo's forum last time in the video thread.

As for me, I'm not surprised the other players are annoyed by the buzz around the "new French number 1" as Gilles clearly is not better than them in their opinion, and I can totally see why.
And I'm not surprised he pisses off other French players with some statements he has made. He has actually calmed down a lot imo, but he has definitely talked too much at times in the past.

He has publicly questioned the nomination of Seb in Davis Cup, for example, saying it's time to nominate him instead of Seb. In 2007 already. In return Seb said he was disappointed not to be on the team against Romania this year when Gilles' nomination really seemed perfectly fine. It's not new to me there doesn't seem to be much love between these two, people just had no idea because they had never cared about Gilles Simon imo.

As usual, the guys of the young generation stick to each other. Jo and Gaël did the same with Richard when he got criticized, I'll be annoyed if they don't support him.

That said, I don't care if the other guys don't like him, but I wish they wouldn't belittle his achievements and his game too much because he hasn't had just a fluke run (3 titles, 1 MS final, 1 MS semi-final, he has really earned his ranking).

Truc
10-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Llodra was asked on WLT after Seb's pretty harsh statements about Gilles in L'Equipe, and he said it's fine for Seb to say what he thinks, but he (Mika) has nothing against Gilles who is a bit special, but a funny guy.
Not *everybody* in French tennis dislikes Gilles. :p

turtle-rn
10-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I think he can totally be the number 2 next week already.
you got me scared there, so I did some maths : even in the worst case scenario (i.e Gilles loses to the toad today AND on his opening match in bercy) Tsonga will have at least to win the title in lyon and make it to the SF in bercy to out-rank him (unless I'm missing something). Not impossible but that's already a pretty tough run. and things will get even tougher for JWT with any match Gilles wins either in lyon or bercy (i haven't done the maths though). so all in all, I remain rather confident, GS will end 2008 as french number1 *fingerscrossed* :]

tedlesurfeur
10-25-2008, 09:43 AM
I hope he knows what he's doing (but he usually does), I'm so afraid he runs out of gas next week like he did in Cincy against Blake, which was a nightmare to watch. The situation was similar, he had just played 2 very tough tournaments in a row and had no gas left in the tank after 4 games, couldn't even serve anymore and was standing out there shouting "J'ai plus de jambes!" If that happens in Paris again... I hope he regenerates better indoors!
It would be too pathetic to watch him trying to drag himself across the finish line in Bercy and possibly be overtaken there by Ferrer (and JWT in my opinion) who will be much fresher. Plus all the others

Ferrer is not fresher. He's paying for the number of wins and time spent on court in 2007 and first half of 2008. Which is exactly what will happen to Gilles in the second half of 2009 if he doesn't slow down in the beginning of 2009. However I understood Ferrer's choice to continue playing as much as he did to get up in the ranking (after alln their goal is to win GSs and become No.1..)

It's silly to say then, but let's hope Blake and Ferrer crash early in Bercy then.. because if you prove right, Gilles will lose early as well.

turtle-rn
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
I must admit I'm very surprised by seb, paulo and bennet's comments. :rolleyes:
I'm not. if I was harsh, i'd say typical "has been" guys' reactions. but I just see it that way : With less physical strengh, without killer shot, GS outdone their past performances "merely" on will and heart. how that can be flattering for them ? :devil: