How long will Nadal keep the #1 spot? (solid) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long will Nadal keep the #1 spot? (solid)

groundstroke
09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
It's been 5 weeks now, how long will Rafa keep the spot before he declines?

l_mac
09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Why is 3 years not an option?

:sad:

No Haterz pls.

Mimi
09-24-2008, 02:13 AM
I can see groundstrokes has become a nadal fans since he is so interested about him :bigwave::yippee:

acionescu
09-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Forever :inlove:

Or, as Roger said, IF there is someone to take it from him, let's hope that will be a really deserving one :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
09-24-2008, 08:24 AM
I can see groundstrokes has become a nadal fans since he is so interested about him :bigwave::yippee:

Yup, just like Linda and Tangy are Fed lovers since they constantly post about him :shrug: :angel: :p

On topic: hopefully only a few months...

l_mac
09-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Yup, just like Linda and Tangy are Fed lovers since they constantly post about him :shrug: :angel: :p

You sound like a NoleTroll :hug:

I still post more about Rafa than Rogi :p

bokehlicious
09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
You sound like a NoleTroll :hug:

I still post more about Rafa than Rogi :p

:hug: :hug: :hearts:

:secret: groundstroke also posts more on Roger than Rafa :shrug:

l_mac
09-24-2008, 08:37 AM
:hug: :hug: :hearts:

:secret: groundstroke also posts more on Roger than Rafa :shrug:

No, at the moment groundstroke is posting more about Nadal. I just checked his/her posts. Anyway, this is off topic, and I'd hate to have to get a mod in here :sad:

groundstroke
09-24-2008, 02:51 PM
It's obvious that I'm a huge Nadal fan...

acionescu
09-24-2008, 05:19 PM
It's obvious that I'm a huge Nadal fan...

I wouldn't have thought so if it wasn't for the signature...

acionescu
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
No Haterz pls.

On topic: hopefully only a few months...

:sad:

Foxy
09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
More than we all think. The first 4-8 months period would be decisive. If he survives that period and stays relatively injury-free it would be loooooong reign.

l_mac
09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Who cares about #1 anyway?

Have you seen his hair recently, or his new outfits? The ranking is the least of a fangirl's worries, trust me :awww:

acionescu
09-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Who cares about #1 anyway?

Have you seen his hair recently, or his new ouitfits? The ranking is the least of a fangirl's worries, trust me :awww:

So true! I'm only sorry that he doesn't change the girlfriend more often, that we all should have a chance or something to talk about...:sad:

l_mac
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
So true! I'm only sorry that he doesn't change the girlfriend more often, that we all should have a chance or something to talk about...:sad:

:yeah:

He gives us nothing to talk about in that regard :mad: Although you wouldn't realise that from reading the :retard: girlfriend thread.

Bibberz
09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
The "never!!" option in the poll makes no sense, but somehow it's attracted the most votes (4). The thread title should be changed to "When will Nadal lose the #1 ranking." I refuse to vote in this poll until changes are made. :(

groundstroke
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Nadal's haircuit and his shirt is the most important thing? Ugh, no. If that was the case then you know jack sh** about tennis.

10nisfan
09-24-2008, 08:49 PM
was this thread started in GM and Moved to Rafa's Forum?... or someone is just trolling here...:scratch:

... Personally, I don't care much how loonngggong RAFA can Keep his Famous Ass in the Numero Uno Position, :shrug: I'm Just HAPPY :banana: that he's able to get to the Top Spot!...:clap2:

... WE ALL Know that RAFA won't be as Dominating as Fedex... :rolleyes:

l_mac
09-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Nadal's haircuit and his shirt is the most important thing? Ugh, no. If that was the case then you know jack sh** about tennis.

Welcome to the Rafa forum :hug:

groundstroke
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
You fangirls will probably be worrying about Nadal's new racquet look...

l_mac
09-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Nah.

wildegirl05
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM

we can't all know as much about tennis as you do about sarcasm, irony and humor :sad:

but we'll keep trying :banana:

acionescu
09-25-2008, 06:33 PM

That's your best effort? :awww:

And if you were serious, no, not really....

star
09-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Finally, you catch on!

Where are the pics of the new outfit?

groundstroke
09-27-2008, 11:45 AM
That's your best effort? :awww:

And if you were serious, no, not really....
Different coloured strings often change the tension and the velocity of the racquet, he might even change his racquet look completely; that would be disastrous for us Rafa fans..

tennisace21
10-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeah!

The_Nadal_effect
10-09-2008, 05:19 AM
More than we all think. The first 4-8 months period would be decisive. If he survives that period and stays relatively injury-free it would be loooooong reign.

First of all, this thread should be in GM. Was it moved from there?

I expect Rafa to stay at least a year on top.

He's assured as it is to remain at the top till the end of this year. There's no way Federer can catch up. He has a lot to defend. same with Nole.

Next year, he wins Chennai and AO and follows it up with a clean sweep of every tournament from Miami to Montreal gaining momentum at Indian Wells and losing it in Cincinnati. He remains number 1 for a year.:devil:

Foxy
10-09-2008, 07:21 AM
First of all, this thread should be in GM. Was it moved from there?

I expect Rafa to stay at least a year on top.

He's assured as it is to remain at the top till the end of this year. There's no way Federer can catch up. He has a lot to defend. same with Nole.

Next year, he wins Chennai and AO and follows it up with a clean sweep of every tournament from Miami to Montreal gaining momentum at Indian Wells and losing it in Cincinnati. He remains number 1 for a year.:devil:

You missed in your signature Beijing 2005 (hard). :yeah:

10nisfan
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
This is from TENNIS.COM:

1. Has Rafael Nadal clinched the year-end No. 1 or could Roger Federer still catch him?

To clinch the year-end No. 1, almost all Nadal has to do is show up.

To steal No. 1 back, by contrast, Federer has to win Madrid, Paris and the Masters Cup in Shanghai, and hope that Nadal doesn't reach another final this year. If Federer pulls out of any of those three events, his chances would be over.

Concretely, Nadal has earned 1,720 more ranking points than Federer this year. Winning Madrid, Paris and Shanghai would give Federer a maximum of 1,750 points -- if he wins Basel in between, he would get a total of 2,000 points. But if Nadal earns more than 280 points during the fall, he'll end the year as No.1 no matter what Federer does.

2. Is Novak Djokovic completely out of the year-end No. 1 race?

Effectively, yes, unless he somehow wins a title every week and Nadal doesn't play at all. But the Serb is only scheduled to play Madrid, Paris and Shanghai. Unless he adds an event to his schedule, he cannot catch Nadal.

3. Is Federer at least safe at No. 2?

No, and Djokovic is closer than you might think. Looking at this season's results, they're separated by just 110 points at the moment -- slightly less than the equivalent of a quarterfinal in Madrid or Paris.

To end the year as No. 2, Federer must more or less match Djokovic's results this fall. If he pulls out of an event, he'll likely be playing catch up.

4. Will Federer have a chance to get to No. 1 in Melbourne?

Much depends on how Nadal does during the fall. If Nadal does well in Madrid, Paris and Shanghai -- winning one and reaching the finals of the other two, for example -- he'll secure the No. 1 ranking through the Australian Open. But if Nadal does what he did last year -- Madrid quarterfinal, Paris final, Shanghai semifinal -- then Federer would have a chance.

But it still won't be easy. For his part, Federer would have to at least win Basel, Paris and Shanghai. If Federer's goal is to return to No. 1 in Melbourne, Federer would almost certainly have to play in, and do well at, all of the fall tournaments.

5. Is Djokovic more likely to go up in the rankings or down?

He has a chance to move up during the rest of this year, but could drop early next year if he doesn't defend his Australian Open title.

The Serb did little during the fall last year and, as mentioned, he could overtake Federer if he can outperform him over the next few weeks.

But after a fast start in Melbourne and Indian Wells early this season, Djokovic has accumulated points only slightly faster than Andy Murray. The gap between them starting from the Australian Open is about one Slam's worth. So Djokovic also needs to do better than Murray this fall if he wants to be sure of staying No. 3 after Melbourne.

The_Nadal_effect
10-09-2008, 04:36 PM
You missed in your signature Beijing 2005 (hard). :yeah:

I had actually ignored that one. Thought it was a minnow. Besides, I expect him to churn out more prestigious wins on his worst surface soon.;)

tennisace21
11-07-2008, 02:50 AM
This is from TENNIS.COM:

1. Has Rafael Nadal clinched the year-end No. 1 or could Roger Federer still catch him?

To clinch the year-end No. 1, almost all Nadal has to do is show up.

To steal No. 1 back, by contrast, Federer has to win Madrid, Paris and the Masters Cup in Shanghai, and hope that Nadal doesn't reach another final this year. If Federer pulls out of any of those three events, his chances would be over.

Concretely, Nadal has earned 1,720 more ranking points than Federer this year. Winning Madrid, Paris and Shanghai would give Federer a maximum of 1,750 points -- if he wins Basel in between, he would get a total of 2,000 points. But if Nadal earns more than 280 points during the fall, he'll end the year as No.1 no matter what Federer does.

2. Is Novak Djokovic completely out of the year-end No. 1 race?

Effectively, yes, unless he somehow wins a title every week and Nadal doesn't play at all. But the Serb is only scheduled to play Madrid, Paris and Shanghai. Unless he adds an event to his schedule, he cannot catch Nadal.

3. Is Federer at least safe at No. 2?

No, and Djokovic is closer than you might think. Looking at this season's results, they're separated by just 110 points at the moment -- slightly less than the equivalent of a quarterfinal in Madrid or Paris.

To end the year as No. 2, Federer must more or less match Djokovic's results this fall. If he pulls out of an event, he'll likely be playing catch up.

4. Will Federer have a chance to get to No. 1 in Melbourne?

Much depends on how Nadal does during the fall. If Nadal does well in Madrid, Paris and Shanghai -- winning one and reaching the finals of the other two, for example -- he'll secure the No. 1 ranking through the Australian Open. But if Nadal does what he did last year -- Madrid quarterfinal, Paris final, Shanghai semifinal -- then Federer would have a chance.

But it still won't be easy. For his part, Federer would have to at least win Basel, Paris and Shanghai. If Federer's goal is to return to No. 1 in Melbourne, Federer would almost certainly have to play in, and do well at, all of the fall tournaments.

5. Is Djokovic more likely to go up in the rankings or down?

He has a chance to move up during the rest of this year, but could drop early next year if he doesn't defend his Australian Open title.

The Serb did little during the fall last year and, as mentioned, he could overtake Federer if he can outperform him over the next few weeks.

But after a fast start in Melbourne and Indian Wells early this season, Djokovic has accumulated points only slightly faster than Andy Murray. The gap between them starting from the Australian Open is about one Slam's worth. So Djokovic also needs to do better than Murray this fall if he wants to be sure of staying No. 3 after Melbourne.

Im gonna stay on topic- I am nervous about AO. It doesnt look all too great...

The_Nadal_effect
11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Im gonna stay on topic- I am nervous about AO. It doesnt look all too great...

Could well be his best chance at AO.

Foxy
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
By my humble calculations Rafa is almost sure to retain the N1 spot until the end of Indian Wells.

Aenea
11-25-2008, 06:09 PM
This sounds optimistic for the next year and AO particularly

Nadal will return in peak condition

Reuters
Published: November 20, 2008

(Reuters) - Sports news in brief from around the world:

Tennis - World number one Rafael Nadal will be back at his peak for the start of the 2009 season, Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro was quoted as saying.
Nadal had to pull out of the season-ending Masters Cup and Spain's Davis Cup final against Argentina after suffering from tendonitis in his right knee.
"He will begin the year 2009 at the highest possible level," Ruiz Cotorro said in an interview with a newspaper.

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/11/20/sports/OUKSP-UK-BRIEFS.php

peterparker
11-25-2008, 08:09 PM
This sounds optimistic for the next year and AO particularly

Nadal will return in peak condition

Reuters
Published: November 20, 2008

(Reuters) - Sports news in brief from around the world:

Tennis - World number one Rafael Nadal will be back at his peak for the start of the 2009 season, Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro was quoted as saying.
Nadal had to pull out of the season-ending Masters Cup and Spain's Davis Cup final against Argentina after suffering from tendonitis in his right knee.
"He will begin the year 2009 at the highest possible level," Ruiz Cotorro said in an interview with a newspaper.

http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/11/20/sports/OUKSP-UK-BRIEFS.php

"highest possible level", all sorts of possibilities for hedging there.

The nice thing for nadal is that murray's consistency on hard courts should make it easier for him to hold on to the no. 1.

Vaaaaaaaaamooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos,

rafa_maniac
01-02-2009, 04:36 AM
I would imagine given the lead he has that he's very safe until Miami which will be the first test as he's defending a final and none of his closest competitors performed well there. Should he make it through that, he's likely to hold onto it during the clay season where he defends his points with ease and has nothing to defend at Rome. So then Wimbeldon is the next big challenge. From then on it's all far too speculative, but I'd say it looks likely that he will spend 10 months at least at the top.

meihaditalab
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
2-3 years at least ;)