2009 Davis Cup Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2009 Davis Cup Thread

Deboogle!.
09-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Yep it's that time already.

USA will host Switzerland. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x257

Kate87
09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: x 257

GollyLou
09-23-2008, 05:00 PM
My last post was TOTALLY in the wrong thread.

I will admit I am a little excited for this. But only if Roger plays.

Deboogle!.
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Roger will surely play, because it's right before the masters events in the US

GollyLou
09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
That's what I figured, and if he doesn't play then it's pretty stupid of him.

So... I am totally excited.

tennis lover
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Oh man! :sobbing:

Deboogle!.
11-26-2008, 03:15 PM
So, of course Roger is gonna play. and Andy's brother Lawrence is trying to get it in San Antonio, which would be fun.
===========
Davis Cup bid still in air

San Antonio's bid to host a 2009 Davis Cup competition is in the hands of the United States Tennis Association. Now the waiting game begins.

“We have a very, very strong bid,” said Lawrence Roddick, who is spearheading the local drive to bring the March 6-8 event to the Alamodome.

Roddick, the older brother of tennis star Andy Roddick, who will lead the United States against Roger Federer and Switzerland in the first-round matches, was in New York City on Tuesday to meet with USTA officials and clarify details of the bid.

San Antonio is one of four cities competing for the matches. The others are Birmingham, Ala., Greenville, S.C.; and Las Vegas. The winning city is expected to be announced Dec. 15.

Breakaway
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Is anyone else as excited about this as I am? :D :rocker2: :woohoo:

DartMarcus
12-02-2008, 07:32 AM
It gonna be the most interesting 1st round DC match, if all stars play.

Deboogle!.
12-02-2008, 01:54 PM
If it's in San Antonio, which I guess is now the frontrunner, it could be the biggest sanctioned tennis crowd in the US. That'd be pretty great, but it'd also be pretty bad if the US were to lose at home in those conditions, in texas :lol:

Breakaway
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
I think it is going to be in SA, there is a lot of buzz. :)

Yeah, the Alamodome is huge, it can hold near 80,000 people. But I think they are going to convert part of it into practice courts. But yeah they are trying to get the biggest crowd in history for Davis Cup! :D

Fee
12-03-2008, 03:37 AM
Yes, the Governor is trying to fast track US citizenship for Andy Murray, just in case.

(yes, I'm kidding)

Deboogle!.
12-17-2008, 03:46 PM
USTA, I hope you haven't made a terrible choice......
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=26747

Birmingham, Alabama to host USA-Swiss Davis Cup tie

The USTA announced today that the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena in Birmingham, Ala., has been selected as the site for the 2009 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round match between the United States and Switzerland, March 6-8. The indoor arena is expected to seat more than 17,000. Tickets will go on sale in mid-January.

The United States and Switzerland are two of the 16 nations competing for the 2009 Davis Cup title as part of the Davis Cup World Group. The U.S. leads all nations with 32 Davis Cup titles.

“The tennis fans in Alabama are in for something special. There is nothing in tennis, or sport, like a Davis Cup match,” said U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe. “It’s a tough assignment at home, so crowd support will certainly be an advantage for us. It should be one of the most star-studded Davis Cup matches this year.”

The United States has used the same line-up – world No. 8 Andy Roddick, No. 10 James Blake, and the world’s second-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan – for 10 of the last 11 Davis Cup matches, including all four wins during its 2007 title run. World No. 2 and five-time reigning US Open champion Roger Federer has announced his intention to play in the first round of Davis Cup for the first time since 2004 and is expected to be joined by No. 13 Stanislas Wawrinka, with whom he won the Olympic gold medal in men’s doubles this past summer in Beijing.

The best-of-five match series begins Friday, with two singles matches, featuring each country’s No. 1 player against the other country’s No. 2 player. Saturday’s schedule features the pivotal doubles match. The final day of play on Sunday will feature two “reverse singles” matches, when the No. 1 players square off followed by the No. 2 players meeting each other in the final match.

“We are excited that the USTA has chosen Birmingham to host the Davis Cup,” said Gene Hallman, Executive Director of the Alabama Sports Foundation. “We look forward to showcasing our fine state in front of a global audience and expanding on Birmingham’s strong tennis tradition.”

This will be the first Davis Cup tie ever played in Alabama, making it the 33rd state to host the prestigious competition. It also will be the first major professional tennis event in Birmingham since the city hosted the 1994 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships. The city also hosted a USTA Pro Circuit men’s challenger from 1991-93 and 1995-2003 as well as a women’s $10,000 event from 1983-88. Blake won the doubles titles and was the singles runner-up at the Challenger in 2001 and the Bryan brothers won the doubles title in 1999.

The United States and Switzerland have split their two previous meetings in Davis Cup. Switzerland won the last meeting in the 2001 first round in McEnroe’s debut as U.S. Davis Cup Captain and Roddick’s Davis Cup debut. The Swiss were led by relative unknown Federer who won both his singles matches and the doubles point.

The two nations first met in the 1992 Davis Cup Final in Ft. Worth, Texas, as Andre Agassi and Jim Courier each won a singles match and Pete Sampras and John McEnroe teamed for a doubles victory to give the U.S. the title. A 10-year-old Roddick was among the capacity crowds. He said the experience “changed my life. It changed the way I viewed tennis, especially the way I viewed Davis Cup.”

Founded in 1900, Davis Cup is the world’s largest annual international team competition. The USTA organizes, stages and promotes all Davis Cup events in the U.S.

Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup team.

patch55
12-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Birmingham, Alabama to host USA-Swiss Davis Cup tie

The USTA announced today that the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena in Birmingham, Ala., has been selected as the site for the 2009 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round match between the United States and Switzerland, March 6-8. The indoor arena is expected to seat more than 17,000. Tickets will go on sale in mid-January.

The United States and Switzerland are two of the 16 nations competing for the 2009 Davis Cup title as part of the Davis Cup World Group. The U.S. leads all nations with 32 Davis Cup titles.

“The tennis fans in Alabama are in for something special. There is nothing in tennis, or sport, like a Davis Cup match,” said U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe. “It’s a tough assignment at home, so crowd support will certainly be an advantage for us. It should be one of the most star-studded Davis Cup matches this year.”

The United States has used the same line-up – world No. 8 Andy Roddick, No. 10 James Blake, and the world’s second-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan – for 10 of the last 11 Davis Cup matches, including all four wins during its 2007 title run. World No. 2 and five-time reigning US Open champion Roger Federer has announced his intention to play in the first round of Davis Cup for the first time since 2004 and is expected to be joined by No. 13 Stanislas Wawrinka, with whom he won the Olympic gold medal in men’s doubles this past summer in Beijing.

The best-of-five match series begins Friday, with two singles matches, featuring each country’s No. 1 player against the other country’s No. 2 player. Saturday’s schedule features the pivotal doubles match. The final day of play on Sunday will feature two “reverse singles” matches, when the No. 1 players square off followed by the No. 2 players meeting each other in the final match.

“We are excited that the USTA has chosen Birmingham to host the Davis Cup,” said Gene Hallman, Executive Director of the Alabama Sports Foundation. “We look forward to showcasing our fine state in front of a global audience and expanding on Birmingham’s strong tennis tradition.”

This will be the first Davis Cup tie ever played in Alabama, making it the 33rd state to host the prestigious competition. It also will be the first major professional tennis event in Birmingham since the city hosted the 1994 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships. The city also hosted a USTA Pro Circuit men’s challenger from 1991-93 and 1995-2003 as well as a women’s $10,000 event from 1983-88. Blake won the doubles titles and was the singles runner-up at the Challenger in 2001 and the Bryan brothers won the doubles title in 1999.

The United States and Switzerland have split their two previous meetings in Davis Cup. Switzerland won the last meeting in the 2001 first round in McEnroe’s debut as U.S. Davis Cup Captain and Roddick’s Davis Cup debut. The Swiss were led by relative unknown Federer who won both his singles matches and the doubles point.

The two nations first met in the 1992 Davis Cup Final in Ft. Worth, Texas, as Andre Agassi and Jim Courier each won a singles match and Pete Sampras and John McEnroe teamed for a doubles victory to give the U.S. the title. A 10-year-old Roddick was among the capacity crowds. He said the experience “changed my life. It changed the way I viewed tennis, especially the way I viewed Davis Cup.”

Founded in 1900, Davis Cup is the world’s largest annual international team competition. The USTA organizes, stages and promotes all Davis Cup events in the U.S.

Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup team.

I know a lot of people will be upset with this but for completely selfish reasons(such as I live in Georgia so Alabama isn't very far away) I am happy.

tangerine_dream
12-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Why would Alabama be a bad choice?

I should think any place other than California would would work to the US team's advantage.

Deboogle!.
12-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Why would Alabama be a bad choice?

I should think any place other than California would would work to the US team's advantage.I think it being in Texas with a record crowd would've been seriously to the US's advantage. No need to take a dig at California, no CA site was even up for being chosen. Compare a much smaller crowd in a bit of a podunk place like Birmingham to a record-setting Texan crazy crowd in San Antonio, and like I said, I hope it wasn't a mistake.

kaylee
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
How do they actually pick the sites? I wouldn't have said Winston-Salem was huge either but the crowd was amazing.

Deboogle!.
12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
The Carolinas have an excellent tennis culture, though. We'll see, I'm sure they wouldn't have picked it if they weren't confident it'll be a successful weekend. They use a whole bunch of factors, I believe, but mostly it is the financial package that each site puts forward.

Winston's Human
12-18-2008, 02:17 AM
I wish DC was coming to Texas, but I think the Alabama fans will be quite revved up to support the hometeam.

Fumus
12-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I know I'm alittle late but...Birmingham? C'mon really!?!

The USTA is uber cheap and poorly run. What else is new?

Breakaway
12-27-2008, 05:57 AM
This decision was horrible. I mean Birmingham???

So many people I know were disappointed, the San Antonio paper had already been hyping the event up a few times. Big bummer :sad:

Deboogle!.
12-27-2008, 02:44 PM
It's all about money and it sounds pretty clear that Birmingham somehow offered a lot of it. It sounds like Andy's brother got the plan for San Antonio together a bit late, and that cost them. But the paper, if I recall, was pretty clear about saying San Antontio was only one of four places being considered. Yes they did write about it several times, but it's not like they pretended SA already was given the tie when it wasn't. I'm sure Birmingham will put on a great tie, but I'm sure having it in the Alamodome with that many people would've been really special. I wonder if they're gonna lower the prices from their normal DC prices or offer more seats at the lowest level. Not sure how many people can afford that kind of expense right now, and selling out is really important IMO

Kate87
01-09-2009, 08:10 PM
kerj:o :o :o :o

Davis Cup remains major priority for Roddick

By Alaric Gomes, Senior Reporter
Published: January 09, 2009, 23:48

DOHA: American Andy Roddick's faith in the Davis Cup remains unmoved, unshaken and undaunted.

"There is no way I would stop playing in the Davis Cup for my country. I like the atmosphere and the responsibility. And surely a bulk of my memories, including the losses, are hinged around the Davis Cup," Roddick told media after breezing past Romanian Victor Hanescu to enter the semifinals of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open here late on Thursday.

"I can go on and on about the virtues of playing in the Davis Cup. But for me it is pretty forthright that I have been passionate and enjoyed the company of my teammates and captain, while also playing for my country," the American added.

In a world of tennis where players, mostly the top stars, keep complaining of packed schedules, Roddick stands out as a valiant soldier in his country's exploits at the Davis Cup for the past few years.

He has the rare distinction of possibly being the only top-ranked player who has put self and country on even par through much of his tennis career. "And there is no way I would stop doing it," he insisted.

The US is scheduled to host Roger Federer-led Switzerland in their first round of the World Group in San Antonio, Alabama from March 6-8.

The initial plan was to have the fixture in Roddick's home town of Texas. But the bid to host the Switzerland-US encounter was won by the 17,000-seater Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena in Alabama.

To Roddick, it would have been more significant as he had made his Davis Cup debut against Switzerland in Switzerland in February 2001. "I am a little disappointed that we could not have the encounter in Texas," Roddick admitted.

"It would have been great to have Federer closer home as it would have been a great promotion for tennis in the area. And ultimately, it was only going to help the Davis Cup," Roddick stated.

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Tennis/10273903.html

Deboogle!.
01-09-2009, 08:10 PM
andy :hug:

kaylee
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
awwwww

Deboogle!.
01-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Birmingham's Davis Cup tickets go fast during first day on sale

Organizers unveiled today a sign on a downtown Birmingham parking deck, picturing Andy Roddick of the U.S. Davis Cup team. The sign along Interstate 20-59 will count down the days until Birmingham hosts the first round of the Davis Cup, pitting the United States against Switzerland.

Alabama Sports Foundation CEO Gene Hallman said it took two hours and 15 minutes Wednesday for United States Tennis Association members to gobble up tickets to Birmingham's first-round of the Davis Cup.

More than half of the tickets that were available for the first-round Davis Cup meeting March 6-8 between the United States and Switzerland have been sold.

Remaining tickets will be made available to the general public at noon Friday and if Wednesday's ticket rush provided any indication, punctuality would be prudent.

"Don't wait til 12:30. Don't wait til 1 o'clock," Hallman said at a Thursday press conference. "The sale starts at noon, I'd go at noon. This is not an official statement from the USTA but we will be sold out very quickly tomorrow (Friday) afternoon, completely, for all three days of this tie."

It won't be known until 10 days before the first round which players will be on the teams playing in Birmingham.

Tickets can be purchased through ticketmaster.com or by calling (888) 484-8782.

Deboogle!.
01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
USA-Switzerland Davis Cup Tie Sells Out
By Tennis Week
1/16/2009 3:20:00 PM

The prospect of the USA facing 13-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka, with whom he won the Olympic gold medal in doubles last August, has already created a buzz in Birmingham nearly two months prior to the Davis Cup opening-round tie.

The USTA announced today a sell-out for the 2009 Davis Cup first round match between the United States and Switzerland at Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex Arena in Birmingham, Ala., March 6-8.

"We look at this sell-out as a testament to the health of tennis in the United States," said Jim Curley, Managing Director, Tournament Operations, USTA. "Tennis fans in Alabama and throughout the region have embraced this event, and the stage has been set in Birmingham for one of the most exciting Davis Cup ties ever held in the U.S."

The competition is expected to feature three of the top 10 players in the world. No. 8 Andy Roddick and No. 10 James Blake have been mainstays on the U.S. Davis Cup team along with the world’s second-ranked doubles team, Bob and Mike Bryan. World No. 2 and five-time reigning US Open Champion Federer has announced his intention to play in the first round of Davis Cup for the first time since 2004, and is expected to be joined by 16th-ranked Wawrinka.

This will be the first Davis Cup tie ever played in Alabama, making it the 33rd state to host the prestigious competition. It also will be the first major professional tennis event in Birmingham since the city hosted the 1994 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships.

The United States and Switzerland have split their two previous meetings in Davis Cup. Switzerland won the last meeting in the 2001 first round in Patrick McEnroe’s debut as U.S. Davis Cup Captain and Roddick’s Davis Cup debut. The Swiss were led by relative unknown Federer who won both his singles matches and the doubles point.

Deboogle!.
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
TTC is gonna be the only place to see DC for the next 2 years
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3912522

Baghdatis#1
02-17-2009, 04:03 PM
It is just ridiculous that not even ESPN2 can show the Davis Cup Final every year:o

tsurupettan
02-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I feel bad for the fans who bought tickets for Roger, hopefully they can still enjoy themselves.

But as bad as I feel about them and as well as Roger... :woohoo: Damn lucky!

tangerine_dream
02-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Now Tennis Channel becomes the only U.S. TV network carrying the country's Davis Cup matches.

Such bullshit. Tennis fans are losing more coverage of tennis every year because of freakin' TTC. :rolleyes:

Sucks about Roger withdrawing, the Birmingham fans will be disappointed.

Deboogle!.
02-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Well it's great news for the US team that is for sure :o

tangerine_dream
02-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I really don't think the Americans had anything to fear from Roger/Stan in DC. :shrug: Andy tends to play some of his best tennis in DC whereas Roger doesn't. I saw this more as an opportunity for Andy to avenge the AO loss but he won't get that now. Oh well.

tsurupettan
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I honestly think it would've been pretty touch and go/chance-y if Roger was still in it, so I'm glad the US has a more definite win now with his subsequent withdrawal, though it does suck for his fans/atmosphere/etc.

Deboogle!.
02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I agree.

tangerine_dream
02-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I honestly think it would've been pretty touch and go/chance-y if Roger was still in it, so I'm glad the US has a more definite win now with his subsequent withdrawal, though it does suck for his fans/atmosphere/etc.
Well for me, with Roger's withdrawal, the potential for drama and close matches just flew out the window. It's always good when USA wins but when it's a blowout it's kinda boring.

And Andy really needs to get a win over Roger, I thought DC could be his best chance to do it this year.

Fumus
02-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Well for me, with Roger's withdrawal, the potential for drama and close matches just flew out the window. It's always good when USA wins but when it's a blowout it's kinda boring.

And Andy really needs to get a win over Roger, I thought DC could be his best chance to do it this year.

He should save that win for a GS final/semi.

kaylee
02-17-2009, 08:03 PM
*thud* Ryannnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!

NasdaqBallboy
02-19-2009, 08:26 PM
A Roger Federer fan's loss is an Andy Roddick fan's gain. I won't be attending the USA/SUI Davis Cup tie in Birmingham, AL anymore and put my tickets on eBay. They are 2 lower level seats with a center-court view for all three days (March 6-8). The starting bid price is $0.99 with a Buy it Now price of Face Value. If you use Buy it Now, I'll throw in Pete Sampras' autobiography, the Federer/Sampras MSG DVD and a Federer/Sampras MSG Program -- ALL for FREE. If you're interested, or know someone who is, please click below. Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220365141186

Deboogle!.
02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
UNITED STATES TENNIS ASSOCIATION MEDIA CONFERENCE

February 24, 2009

Patrick McEnroe

TIM CURRY: Thank you everyone for joining us for our media conference call with U.S. Davis Cup captain, Patrick McEnroe. Couple of items before we begin the Q and A portion of the call. The U.S. Davis Cup team will host Switzerland in the first round of the 2009 Davis Cup by PNP Paribas next weekend in Birmingham, Alabama.
Patrick has named the roster of Andy Roddick, James Blake, and Bob and Mike Bryan to represent the United States. It will be the 11th time in the past 12 matches dating back to September 2005 that the U.S. Davis Cup team has used the same lineup.
In addition, Amer Delic and Alex Domijan will serve as practice partners for the U.S. team in Birmingham.
We'll open it up for questions.

Q. So going into this Davis Cup, would you call yourself the favorites?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I certainly would, now that -- with Roger pulling out, obviously that changes the dynamic I think a little bit of the match, of the tie. Certainly if Roger was playing it would be pretty even. I certainly think this makes us a pretty solid favorite.
At the same time, we're certainly not overlooking the team that's the Swiss are bringing in. Wawrinka is a top 20 player. Whether it's Bohli or Chiudinelli -- I see that Chiudinelli has had a couple good wins over in Dubai. I think he's coming back from some injuries.
Those are two guys that are certainly capable of playing great tennis. Wawrinka is certainly capable of winning a couple matches. But certainly with Roger out I think it makes us a pretty solid favorite.

Q. At what point will the Swiss name their team?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I believe they already did. They named Wawrinka, Bohli, Chiudinelli and Yves Allegro, who's more of a doubles player for them.
So we know those guys, and we'll do a little more homework on whoever the second singles player will be. My guess is they probably won't decide that until the day before the match.

Q. Just wondering what your initial reaction was when you heard that Federer pulled out?
CAPTAIN McENROE: To be honest, I was a little disappointed really. I think we were all looking forward to the challenge of playing against Roger. Certainly I think a big part of the reason that we've been able to have such a great turn out anticipated in Birmingham is mostly due to our team and the fact that these guys have been such strong supporters of the Davis Cup for so many years.
Certainly I would be lying if I didn't say Roger didn't have something to do with that as well. He doesn't play Davis Cup that often, and to see him playing in our country would have been exciting for tennis.
As I said in my previous answer, it makes us a more solid favorite. For us, the goal is to try to get back into the later rounds and win the Cup again. We certainly have the capability of doing that. That's the bigger-term goal.
We certainly like the fact that we feel we've got a better chance to advance. I think both Andy and James were certainly looking forward to the chance to play Roger. I know the Bryans were looking forward to playing them in doubles as well.
So it's a little bit of both: it's a little disappointment, and at the same time, you know, obviously I'll probably sleep a little bit better next week as we prepare for the match without having to prepare for Roger.
You want to play against the best. A similar thing happened a couple years ago when we were getting set to play Spain and Nadal pulled out sort of at the last minute. Spain is obviously overall a better team and has more depth than Switzerland.
You want a chance to play against the best, and our guys have always answered the call and really love playing at home. I think that would have been an advantage for them against Federer.

Q. I just wanted to ask you about how the politics have been rearing its ugly intrusive head and what you thought about the Swedish/Israel tie being played behind closed doors?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, the latest I've heard - and maybe you know more than I do - they were talking about moving to another city, to Stockholm. That's latest thing I just saw in the news. That's disappointing. I think you would like to see the match being played, and if there are some security concerns, you would like to see the home country be able to address them.
I don't think you should let a couple fanatics or whatever it is dictate having an event open to the public. You take extra precautions if you need to.
So I was a little surprised, to be honest, that that was happening. I would hope that's in the process of being changed. You certainly don't want to see something like that taking place in an event like Davis Cup. We should all remember Davis Cup came into existence to promote friendship between countries.
That's what it's all about. Obviously competition is huge, but at the end of the day, you respect your opponent and you respect playing for your own country and the countries you compete against.
We've always tried to make that a big part of our home matches. I think the USTA has done a good job over the years accentuate this is two countries playing in the right spirit. That's, to me, what Davis Cup is all about.

Q. I'm sure it's no surprise that I'm going to ask about the practice partners.
CAPTAIN McENROE: No, I'm not at all surprised.

Q. Were there particular reasons you that selected Amir and Alex? Was it part of what their games will bring to the practice?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Oh, definitely. That's always a part of it. Actually, Amer, you know, is such a good guy. He's obviously been playing quite well recently, and particularly in Australia he played well. We've had him on the team a couple times. He's a little bit older than the normal practice partner.
To be honest, when I picked him, it was with the thinking that Federer would be playing. Amer has got - obviously nobody has the game Federer has - but Amer has a one-handed backhand and can serve well and can give the guys, meaning James and Andy, a good run in a couple of sets.
I usually look for at least one player that can go out and play a couple sets with our singles players. If that happens to be a young player, great. If it's going to be two, even better. Obviously Domijan is a guy I saw play a little bit down at the Orange Bowl. Had a great couple weeks there.
Some of our coaches have been communicating with him and have been following him pretty closely. We like his attitude and what we see from him. He's practiced with some of our players already up at Saddlebrook in Florida with the Bryan brothers and with James.
They seem to know him, and we think he's got a tremendous potential. It's a nice combination of sort of a veteran practice guy and Alex, who will get his first taste of that situation.

Q. Birmingham was pretty fired up about this, and they did a great job promoting this event. Have you had any blow-back from them? Has there been any reaction there to Roger's pull out? Are you concerned that there's going to be a sort of disgruntled manner?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I didn't address that specifically. What I said earlier, I think, to resonates on this topic, which is -- my own reaction was, yes, I was a little disappointed when Roger decided not to play. I felt that certainly this is a great event, and he's a big part of the buzz of that initial burst of enthusiasm from Birmingham.
At the same time, Birmingham has been a city that has been looking for a Davis Cup match really for quite sometime now. They've put dates together in the past. I don't think this was solely about Federer.
If fact, I think a big part of this was the team that we have and what these guy have done over the eight, nine years that they've been playing Davis Cup.
So they're still going to see a great event. They'll see our team. Every match we've had for the last couple years has been a sell out of 12,000 to 15,000, 16,000 people. Think I there's a lot of interest in Davis Cup, and particularly this team. I certainly expect that the fans will come out and support our team.
As I said, the bigger goal is still to win the Davis Cup. We all know that without Roger there certainly gives us a better chance to advance this year.
But I think people understand this happens. It happened two years ago when we played Spain in Winston-Salem and Nadal didn't show up. We still had a heck of a tie and tremendous support from the community there.
So I certainly hope to get the same. The short answer is, no, I don't think there's been any real push back. They understand. I think there's some disappointment. At the same time, the chance to see this team and thank them for years of service and get back and win another Cup.

Q. In terms of morale for the team, I mean, this is Davis Cup and therefore it doesn't matter who's out there, they're going to bring the same level of intensity and enthusiasm; is that accurate?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Oh, absolutely. These guys are very gung-ho about playing, particularly when you look at the commitment that they've shown over the years. Going to Spain last year, Andy and -- well, Bob couldn't go because of the injury.
I mean, Andy has put himself in situations where you know you're up against it, but he's answered the call every time. These guys love to play in Davis Cup and certainly to play in our country.
The USTA has done a great job over the years promoting these matches. It's the USTA promoting this event. It's not Birmingham. We do a lot more than just play the match. We try to promote tennis. We get clinics going for the kids. We reach out to the community. All these things are ongoing. That's a big part of what these events are, in addition to the actual match and the pomp and circumstance that I think have made these Davis Cup matches more of an event.
Quite honestly, I think the guys appreciate that. If they appreciate that, they enjoy it and have fun with it. Obviously the fact that they continue to play and support each other as a team is, you know, a pretty monumental effort really.
When you look around the world and you see how much tennis they have to play and how much traveling they have to do. You see what happens with some other players in other countries. They don't show up. These guys have answered the call time after time.

Q. Following up on what you just said there, can you tell us what it means to you as captain to have the dedication of these guys who are willing to play? I know in past years captains have had trouble year to year.
CAPTAIN McENROE: It's been unbelievable. My first tie as a captain was back in 2001. In fact, we played against Switzerland in Switzerland. They had some young kid, a long-haired kid named Roger Federer. We had some young, short-haired kid with a big serve named Andy Roddick.
Andy Roddick has missed one match since then. That was because of a serious injury that he suffered on the wrist in 2002 when he hurt himself in Australia. Maybe 2003.
It's really made my job easy, to be perfectly honest, and also very pleasurable. You know they show up when you ask them to, and I don't need to tell them to do anything. They're team guys. I think they generally enjoy the weeks together.
They're obviously all great friends away from Davis Cup, and they really support each other. I think it's a pretty amazing group in what they've been able to do over the years. I think in a lot of ways, these matches coming up for them should be an opportunity for fans to really thank them. You know, not only support what we're doing now, but really to thank them for their commitment and all they put in, the time and effort, into representing their country.

Q. I was wondering if you saw anything from the broadcast booth in Australia that led you to believe that Federer's back injury was as bad as it was considering how well he played the entire tournament?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I certainly didn't notice anything during the tournament, no. Obviously I mean, the guy played a five setter against Berdych and played a five setter and seemed to be at least physically fine in this fifth set. He obviously kind of lost it a little bit mentally. Maybe a little something that was bothering him.
Jose Higueras, who is now our director of coaching, spent some time working with Roger last year. He did tell me that in the course of his working with Roger last year that his back problem was sort of off and on and ongoing throughout most of last year, the second half of the year. Remember, he pulled out of a couple of the indoor tournaments in the fall because of that.
But so certainly it wasn't something that came completely out of the blue. The answer is no, there was nothing that you saw in Australia that led me to think that he was having any injury of any sort.

Q. With Andy, he's obviously put in the work. He has a new coach, and the results have paid off in Australia and last week in Memphis. Can you talk about his evolving game a little bit, and also his decision this week to not play Dubai.
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I thought that was a pretty gutsy move on his part to do that. It's been interesting over the years to see Andy Roddick, who I mentioned had his first tie as a teenager. He's really grown up and become a man. I think he's principled, and I think we've seen that not only in his decision to not go to Dubai, but in what a professional he is and his commitment to Davis Cup and getting the most out of his ability and what he has and in hiring Larry Stefanki and putting all that work in.:worship:
He's really matured a lot. I've been lucky enough to see him play every Davis Cup match he's played. I've seen him go out there when really everything was stacked against him, and he goes out there and gives it 110%. To be honest, to beat Nadal on clay in Spain is not going to be easy. He's sort of willing to go out there and take one for the team, as you might say.
So I'm not surprised, but I'm impressed with the stand he's taken. I've been impressed for years with his commitment to playing for his country and being there for his teammates. It's been fun to watch.:worship:

Q. Finally, it seemed like you could have gone another direction with James. His results have been in mixed. Was there some consideration to Sam Querrey, who has been playing well, or maybe a Mardy Fish?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I'm happy to say that both those guys have played well, Sam and Mardy, you know, in the first part of the year here. So certainly that makes me feel better in a way to know that we've got those guys as possible options.
I think James is still ranked a bit higher than they are. He's also played pretty well in Australia. It's funny, because you sort of look at a Sam or Mardy and say, Hey, they have had a good couple tournaments. We kind of take it for granted with James a little bit. James has been a top 10 player.
The fact that James got to the Round of 16 at Australian, we look at it and say, Oh, well, it wasn't a great tournament for him. Where if Mardy or Sam did that we would look at it a little bit differently. I think that's sort of something you have to remind yourself of. James has still consistently been right around top 10 in the world for a number of years.
But I will say that having Sam and Mardy play well certainly makes me feel a little more comfortable. If something were to happen, I could call on one of those guys to step in, as both of them did in Spain.

Q. You just touched on this, but can you just talk a little bit more about how you feel about your team's current form?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Yeah, I think James, I like the way he was playing in Australia. I didn't think he played a great match against Tsonga, but up until that point I thought he really looked good and was playing well.
Since then James been nicked up a little bit. He did beat Querrey in San Jose. I believe it was, match point of two points before the end of the match he twisted his ankle pretty badly. That kind of put him behind the eight ball against Mardy out in San Jose, and then he really wasn't able to practice too much leading into Memphis.
I think that was part of reason he struggled a little bit there. I spoke to him a couple days ago, and he's 100% healthy. He's been able to practice. I know he'll have a good week of practice here leading up. We'll make sure we get James plenty of sets and get him sharp. Usually that works pretty well.
Obviously for the other guys I don't have too much to worry about in the way they've been playing. Andy is obviously off to a great start, 17-3 on the year. I think he's got a great chance to finish the year in the top 5 based on how well he started the year.
The Bryans kicked off winning the Australian. They were pretty tee'd off to not finish the year last year No. 1. They moved all the way down to No. 2. They're motivated and have been working extra hard in the gym. I think we feel pretty good about where we are right now.

tsurupettan
02-25-2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20090224/Federer_Davis_Cup_absence_disappoints_Roddick

Federer Davis Cup absence disappoints Roddick
2/24/09 8:00 PM | Ricky Dimon

Andy Roddick says he is disappointed that Roger Federer won't be present for the first-round Davis Cup tie between the United States and Switzerland, to be held in Birmingham March 6-8.

Roger Federer pulled out of next weekend's Davis Cup tie with the United States as a precautionary measure for his questionable back, which flared up during last season's indoor Masters Series events and again at the Masters Cup.

While Federer's absence makes the U.S. heavy favorites to win the first-round clash in Birmingham, Alabama, top American Andy Roddick was far from thrilled to hear of the world No. 2's withdrawal.

When asked last week in Memphis what his first reaction to the news was, Roddick said, "Disappointment."

The eventual Memphis champion added, "I think there was going to be a lot of hype around it. Probably the biggest since I’ve played here in the U.S. And that’s probably including the final," Roddick said of his team's victory over Russian for the 2007 Davis Cup trophy. "So I was disappointed. I think you’re disappointed for the 16 some-odd thousand fans that bought tickets right away. :hug:

"I assure you," Roddick continued, "Davis Cup is not like any other tennis match. It will still be a good time. We’ll still be there."

Despite the loss of a huge attraction in Federer, Roddick is still fired up for the tie, and especially to play in Birmingham. "I think that’s when we’ve had our most successful Davis Cup ties," he explained, "when we’ve taken it to a place that’s gonna get really excited about it.

"We played in L.A. and it was kind of like ‘OK, well, there’s a Lakers game tonight also.’ :lol: We want to take Davis Cup to where it’s appreciated, and judging by the ticket sales, and by the enthusiasm, and by the sponsorship, that’s certainly the case." :hug:

Deboogle!.
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Yay, articles written by people who are so stupid they get banned from MTF about 20 times (not exaggerating). I bet those quotes are made up

Deboogle!.
03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Nearly 250 take in U.S. Davis Cup team practice.
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
SOLOMON CRENSHAW JR.
News staff writer

Mike Z. - he didn't want to give his last name because he played hooky from the office - was invited by some buddies to attend Monday's U.S. Davis Cup team practice at the BJCC Arena. He couldn't say no.

"I snuck out of the office," the Birmingham tennis fan said. One of his buddies "called me with practice tickets today and I said, `I'm going.'"

They were among 247 tennis fans who watched an hour of the Americans' afternoon practice session as the U.S. prepared to face Switzerland this weekend in the first round of the Davis Cup.

"It's a lunch break. We have a few friends together watching practice," said Homewood's Wesley Calhoun. "Friday, I came down to get the tickets. I read it in the paper and I didn't think it was true. I got four tickets and brought my friends."

Organizers announced last week they would distribute 500 free tickets to Monday's practice of the U.S. team. An additional 60 tickets were passed out as some people arrived without tickets who wanted to watch.

Regina Hill of Fairfield made the drive from Bessemer, where she works with the Bessemer Police Department. She was there with Trussville's Kathy Willis and Hueytown's Herdicine Howard because they like sports. They came to see top American Andy Roddick but he had practiced earlier.

"We missed Roddick?" they asked in chorus. The trio was pleased to see James Blake, however.

The U.S. practice began at noon and fans were ushered in at 1:45 p.m. The doubles team of Mike and Bob Bryan closed out the session, first hitting against Ryan Sweeting and 17-year-old Alex Domijan, before squaring off with and against team captain Patrick McEnroe and assistant coach Jay Berger.

Crisp volleys and pinpoint groundstrokes brought applause from the crowd.

USTA spokesman Tim Curry said the open practice was an experiment.

"The idea was to start modestly and see how it works," he said.

Nearby, Ryan Dugger sat with his 9-year-old daughter Alex on his lap. He let the second-grader play hooky for half a day from Westbrook Christian School.

"She loves Maria Sharapova but whenever there's something going on about tennis, she wants to be around it," the Gadsden resident said. "It was a surprise for her. Her brother (Colton) is having a conniption fit because he wanted to be here but he has soccer today."

Twelve-year-old Nathan Sorscher didn't have to play hooky since his Highlands Day School got out at noon Monday. His dad surprised him with a trip to practice since he'll be out of town for the competition this weekend.

Sorscher said he'll miss today's press conference and clinic of U.S. players at Highland Park Racquet Club, where he plays regularly.

"My school's not having a half day then," Sorscher said. "Unless my dad picks me up early, I don't think I am."

tangerine_dream
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Yay, articles written by people who are so stupid they get banned from MTF about 20 times (not exaggerating). I bet those quotes are made up
So Ricky is the infamous Fee-stalker Dimonator? :spit: :haha: :rolls: What a loser.

Deboogle!.
03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, the one and only ;):rolls:

Deboogle!.
03-03-2009, 08:44 PM
:)

Fee
03-04-2009, 04:51 AM

Made up or stolen from someone else's article.

And don't forget the 15 or so times he's been banned from Tennis Warehouse. Seriously, we should make that a forum rule, no posting "articles" with that byline.

But then again, it makes for good comedy. Ahhh, memories... like a few weeks ago when he pretended to be Spanish...

what time final on Sunday? Thanks.

anyone who see it have details of 2nd set tiebreaker? Many thanks.

did anything excitement happen on match point? any good shot by Querrey?

know anyone if Stepanek came out in an NHL jersey of the San Jose Sharks before the match. He did in final last year but do not know if he did in the earlier stages.

perchance you are not aware of how bad Serra is. He lost to nadal 0 and 1 in 40 minutes in Cincinnati.

Never close to top 30, serra.

Try not to sound like Yoda if you are going to fake another ethnicity, dipshit.

tangerine_dream
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
^^ :haha:

:D

Deboogle!.
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM

Deboogle!.
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Stability is key for US Davis Cup team

The Associated Press
Wednesday, March 4, 2009

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.: Andy Roddick was 10 years old when he attended the Davis Cup with his parents.

The United States, behind its juggernaut of Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, John McEnroe and Jim Courier, beat Switzerland in that 1992 final in Fort Worth, Texas. The crowd was roaring, all that tennis gentility long gone.

Young Andy was hooked.

"It did affect me," Roddick he said. "Seeing Andre and Courier and Johnny Mack and Pete was great, but the atmosphere and the way the fans were allowed to go nuts, and seeing everyone buy into it. ... It definitely made an impression."

Now, Roddick enters the latest U.S.-Switzerland series beginning Friday as one of the nation's most long-lasting and successful Davis Cup players. He's also the star of a team that has stuck together for a long stretch.

This will be the 11th time in the last 12 Davis Cup matches that Roddick, James Blake and doubles-playing brothers Bob and Mike Bryan have teamed up. The string was broken for last year's semifinals at Spain when Bob Bryan was out with a shoulder injury.

The previous longest streak for a U.S. Davis Cup team was three matches.

"It's certainly made my job over the years as the captain pretty easy," Patrick McEnroe said. "I've been pretty lucky to have this group of guys up here that have answered the call every time."

Roddick, ranked No. 6, is one win from tying Agassi for second place in Davis Cup singles victories with 30. :worship: John McEnroe leads the U.S. list with 41. Roddick has missed one match since his debut against Switzerland in 2001.

"It's an honor. Not only for the country but being able to play with these guys and play for my teammates, for the last coming up on 10 years, has been a privilege," Roddick said. "It's probably something that I'll have the best memories from when I look back on my career when it's all said and done."

He's not setting his sights on McEnroe record quite yet.

"I can sit here and say Johnny Mac's record is probably pretty safe," Roddick said. "Twelve matches doesn't seem like a lot, but in the year when we won I got six wins. It's a long way off, and it's not something I really think about. My record pales in comparison because I think he did pretty much the same thing in doubles also. I've never played a doubles tie because these guys over here (the Bryans) give me some relief."

Bob Bryan has played in 16 Davis Cup matches, while Mike has taken the court 17 times and Blake 15.

That experience has bred familiarity and comfort for the foursome in addition to making it easy for McEnroe to fill out his team.

They spent parts of the news conference Tuesday trading barbs, with Roddick's hat-covered bleached blond mohawk :sobbing: a popular topic. Roddick made one Swiss reporter wait to pose his question while suggesting to Blake that making rookies write and perform songs would be a good initiation rite for them.

"We all love being on teams," Bob Bryan said. "We all love to play for something more than just ourselves. That's what makes the Davis Cup so special, is just sharing these victories together and working hard all week for that one goal. We've spent countless hours together in hotels playing cards and working hard."

tangerine_dream
03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
They spent parts of the news conference Tuesday trading barbs, with Roddick's hat-covered bleached blond mohawk a popular topic.
Another blonde mohawk? :spit: This must be an inside joke, that's the second time he's sported this silly hairdo for DC. What a nut. :rolls:

Deboogle!.
03-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Captain Patrick McEnroe Birmingham Blog
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 6:16 AM ET

Entry No. 1: “Everyone Can Support The U-S-A”

Wednesday, March 4 – Welcome back everyone to another edition of the Captain’s Blog. It’s a thrill being here with the U.S. Davis Cup Team in Birmingham, Alabama.

Even though we’re in the middle of college football country with Alabama and Auburn universities nearby, we’re excited to give these fans a taste of Davis Cup tennis.

It’s a unique opportunity for them to see professional tennis. To be able to see the United States and Switzerland play is a big deal for them. The fans are into choosing sides in the big rivalry – Alabama and Auburn – but everyone can go out and support the USA.

I think we’re going to have a great turn-out and the fans will be into it. That’s what we really look for when we put together a home match – a community that will really get behind us.

The court conditions here at the BJCC Arena are to our liking and the guys have looked fine in practice. Andy arrived here with a lot of confidence and has been playing a lot of matches. James is coming back from an ankle problem but he’s now at 100 percent. For him, it’s importance to get his reps and get his movement back to where it needs to be.

We had an open practice Monday and the fans and community here have been great. Their support since the beginning has been fantastic and people seem genuinely excited having us here, and that rubs off on us. We’re looking forward to a fun weekend and the guys seem really relaxed and comfortable.

It’s neat seeing Andy come out and play a couple sets of doubles today with the Bryan brothers and Alex Domijan, one of our practice partners.:yeah:

I’m really excited about Domijan’s potential. He’s a 17-year-old from Wesley Chapel, Fla. and currently ranked No. 1 in the boys’ 18s and No. 14 in the ITF World Junior Rankings. He reached the semifinals at the Orange Bowl and won the Eddie Herr last year.

He plays a very good game – he’s solid all-around. He needs to work on his serve. It’s something that we’ve already been working on together. I really like his attitude. He seems very professional and I think he’s very driven and I like the way he plays. He’s got a good solid game and moves pretty well for someone his size (Domijan is 6 feet 7 inches tall). He’s definitely shown us something this week.

I’ve noticed that with his shot selection, he doesn’t go for too much if its not there. He’s technically very sound and has good hands at the net. He seems to do everything well. He’s seventeen, so obviously he’ll get stronger and thicker as he grows into his body.

Fee
03-05-2009, 06:15 AM
You go Brooklyn, keep winning bets with Andy! ;)

(I hope it's because of her, if he just did it for the heck of it, we have to have an intervention).

Deboogle!.
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
would she really have him do something like that so close to the wedding? :unsure:

tsurupettan
03-05-2009, 02:29 PM
:scared: The mohawk again... I'll admit the first time wasn't too bad, but idk if I want to see it again considering his hair status, haha. :unsure: Maybe it's not so bad, though...?

...Okay, who am I trying to kid. :drink:

kaylee
03-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Note to Andy "please keep your hat on at all times" sigh mohawk again? This boy has no sense or adventure mind you I would really start to worry if the mullet look ever took over!

Deboogle!.
03-05-2009, 05:19 PM
R1 - J.BLAKE (USA) v. S.WAWRINKA (SUI)
R2 - A.RODDICK (USA) v. M.CHIUDINELLI (SUI)
R3 - B.BRYAN / M.BRYAN (USA) v. Y.ALLEGRO / S.WAWRINKA (SUI)
R4 - A.RODDICK (USA) v. S.WAWRINKA (SUI)
R5 - J.BLAKE (USA) v. M.CHIUDINELLI (SUI)

tangerine_dream
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
James vs Stan should be an interesting match. :yeah: Chiudinelli better pray for a quick and painless death.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/bbryant.ssf?/base/sports/1236248135126190.xml&coll=1

Roddick serves as Davis Cup's loyal warrior
March 05, 2009

He's had the misfortune of following the greatest generation in tennis, and he's done so during the prime of perhaps the sport's greatest player. He has occasionally chafed under the strain of weighty expectations, which may be why he's had almost as many coaches as there are days in the week.

He's got one Grand Slam win to his credit and a history of shoulda-woulda-couldas.

He's been No. 1 in the world, though his stay on top lasted about as long as the sitcom "Cavemen."

But the indisputable, career-defining, you-can't-take-it-away-from-him positive about the Face of American tennis is this: When it comes to representing (as in country) Andy Roddick's loyalty is above reproach.

"Andy has been an unbelievable part of our team," U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe said. "He's been there every time, in good times and in bad times."

Roddick and the rest of the American team - James Blake, and brothers Bob and Mike Bryan - are in Birmingham this week for the best-of-five, first-round showdown against Switzerland. It's a matchup that lost a lot of luster with the recent withdrawal of Roger Federer, the aforementioned greatest player, who has denied Roddick Grand Slam titles in three other finals (two at Wimbledon, one at the U.S. Open).

With that major hurdle removed, no one could have blamed Roddick for finding a reason not to show, given the grueling schedule world-class players have to follow. But that's not Roddick, who, if nothing else, has always exhibited an old-fashioned baseball-and-apple-pie American approach in such matters.

Since playing in his first Davis Cup match in 2001 - against Switzerland, ironically, and in McEnroe's first run as captain - Roddick has missed only one U.S. match. That came in 2003, when tendinitis in his right wrist put him on the shelf.

In between, he's won 29 of 40 matches (seventh-best in U.S. history) and is 10-0 in matches when he's had the chance to clinch the tie.

"I take a lot of pride in the work we've done as a team," Roddick a couple of weeks ago in Memphis, where he won the pro event for the second time. "It's an honor (for me to play), not only for the country but being able to play with these guys. I'll have some of my best memories (from Davis Cup)."

As McEnroe said, in both good times and in bad. The good coming from the U.S. victory in 2007, the country's first since 1995. The bad coming from losing road matches in Spain and Russia on clay - the surface that negates his overwhelming serve and frustrates his aggressive baseline game.

It's easy to say yes to team and country when the Davis Cup is played on a fast, indoor carpet. It's not so easy to square off on the dirt against Spain's Rafael Nadal, who has supplanted Federer as world No. 1 and has quickly established himself as arguably the best clay-court player of all time.

"We've been in some very tough situations going to play overseas against great teams ... where quite honestly, going in you're a big underdog," McEnroe said. "I've seen (Roddick) go out there when really everything was stacked against him, and he goes out there and gives it 110 percent.

"To beat Nadal on clay in Spain is not going to be easy. He's sort of willing to go out there and take one for the team, as you might say."

It's not a stretch to say that Roddick has collectively taken one for his career. Outside of McEnroe's brother John, there hasn't been an American so dedicated to Davis Cup play. Even the fantastic four of American tennis in the 1990s - Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang - each had periods when they weren't available.

Three of those four reached No. 1 in the world, and maintaining that level requires some degree of selfishness, if for no other reason than to give your body rest. Federer has been an infrequent participant since he got on his roll five years ago.

"I'm not going to lie - there are huge sacrifices," Roddick said. "I enjoy making them, as long as it's appreciated. It is a choice we've all made together as a team, and it's certainly been worthwhile."

Without Sampras or Agassi to help shoulder the U.S. load, Roddick has been front and center in the spotlight for a while now. (As good as Blake is, he's never gone past the quarterfinal of a Grand Slam). Roddick has taken the majority of verbal hits along the way from an American sporting public that expects the most out of its top athletes.

"The good far outweighs the bad," Roddick said. "The amount of opportunities I've gotten to play Davis Cup, to meet people, and have an affect on people - I wouldn't trade it.

"The only thing that's tough is you're following probably the greatest generation ever from one country in the history of our sport. That's something I knew going in. I think I've learned to report to myself as far as my tennis and not worry about outside things to maintain a sense of perspective at the end of the day."

The outlook this week, of course, is on maintaining national pride, and beginning the long journey toward winning back the Davis Cup.

A country could do worse when it comes to having a warrior for that road.

--------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=ubha_ravi&id=3954150

Expect veritable U.S. squad to roll

A new place on the calendar for the opening round of the Davis Cup was supposed to ensure the top players would be competing. Well, for one reason or another, half the world's top 10 won't be in action this weekend, led by a certain multi-Grand Slam winner from Switzerland. The good news is Rafael Nadal is back, and of course, drama is never far away at the sport's most prestigious team event. Here is a preview of the eight matchups.

Switzerland vs. United States in Birmingham, Ala.; hard, indoors

With Roger Federer no longer an obstacle, this seemed to be the perfect time for U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe to alter his team, perhaps inserting Mardy Fish or Sam Querrey as Andy Roddick's No. 2.

Fish won the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships on Sunday in Florida, two weeks after reaching the SAP final in San Jose, Calif. Querrey continues to make progress, having reached a final and two quarterfinals so far in 2009. Both excelled for McEnroe as the U.S. bravely fell to Spain on the road in 2008's semifinals.

But McEnroe is staying true to James Blake, who was too burnt out to compete in last year's semifinals in Iberia.

Pushing 30, Blake outdid Fish and Querrey by landing in the fourth round of the Australian Open, and yes, he still is the U.S. No. 2.

"The fact that James got to the round of 16 at the Australian, we look at it and say, 'Oh, well, it wasn't a great tournament for him,"' McEnroe said in a conference call. "Where if Mardy or Sam did that, we would look at it a bit differently. I think that's sort of something you have to remind yourself of. James has still consistently been right around top 10 in the world for a number of years."

Even on cruise control, Roddick, Blake, and twins Mike and Bob Bryan (who have something to prove after slipping to second in the 2008 doubles standings) should win comfortably in the Deep South.

Stanislas Wawrinka, only three spots lower than Blake at 16th, has tailed off the past eight months; realistic contenders for Switzerland's second singles slot include world No. 143 Stephane Bohli and Marco Chiudinelli. Blame a serious knee injury for Chiudinelli's ranking of 341st, although the 27-year-old has never reached the top 100.

"We're the outsiders, but we're comfortable in this situation," Swiss captain Severin Luthi told reporters.

He'll be more comfortable if Federer surfaces for the world group playoffs.

Prediction: U.S. in three

DartMarcus
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Bob/Mike Bryan vs. Chiudinelli would be wonderful as a dead rubber :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM

partygirl
03-05-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=194653&d=1236285633:haha:

Deboogle!.
03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
WHAT IN THE HELL??????????????? :haha:

Deboogle!.
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: SWITZERLAND v USA

March 5, 2009

James Blake
Mike Bryan
Patrick McEnroe
Andy Roddick

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

TIM CURRY: We'll open up the floor for questions.

Q. Patrick, do you see an advantage to the playing schedule that you have with the with James going first?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Yes, I see an advantage (laughter). That's the way we like to look at it.
No, we never really get too hung up about things we can't control. The schedule's obviously one of them. Both guys will be ready to play. Hopefully they'll play the way they've been practicing all week. We feel good about our chances.
We never really read too much into the schedule. The guys are used to playing at a particular time or sitting around and waiting a couple hours for the match to end. It's not something we really worry too much about.

Q. Andy, you're playing Marco on the first day. Can you tell me a little bit about him, what do you think about him? How are you going to prepare against him?
ANDY RODDICK: I actually told the guys I thought he might play earlier this week. I know he's played well in Davis Cup before. I know he had a win over Ferrer a couple of years ago.
I think he likes playing on faster surfaces a little bit more. I think that's what we have here. If I had to guess, I'd guess he's going to come out and play pretty high-risk tennis. That will make it important to kind of weather the storm when he is playing well and try to hold on to my serve and put pressure on his service games.:zzz:

Q. James, how difficult must it have been for you last year with the team in Madrid and then also how good it must feel to be back?
JAMES BLAKE: It's a great feeling being back. Last year it seemed like everything caught up to me in terms of the fatigue. I'd been playing through the Davis Cup final with these guys. I think I've learned my lesson in scheduling a little too much. Last year it was very apparent at the Open. I just couldn't -- I didn't think I was the best person for the job, to go to Madrid. I don't know if I would have helped the team the way I was playing at the Open.
It's tough to say that. It was tough to make that decision. But I think it was the right one for this year and the rest of my career, hopefully to help these guys out as much as I can when I am on the team, be a hundred percent and ready to go.
I hope it was the right decision for the team. Unfortunately we lost. But I don't think I would have -- I don't know if I would have changed that outcome. I just think I -- I try to make the decision that's best for the team, the best for my career, as well. I thought that was the right one at the time.

Q. Andy and James, how much of a factor is the crowd, the home crowd? How much do you feed off of that?
JAMES BLAKE: Andy is not very emotional out on the court. He'll let me answer this one (laughter).:rolls:
I think having a home crowd is huge. It makes every point seem like it's yours to win. You just really feed off their energy. If you're down, they're there to pick you up. If you're up, it's so much easier to get on a roll because you feel you're exciting the crowd every single point you win.
Hopefully they'll be very vocal this tie. We've had a lot of support in the past. I know this is a huge crowd. I heard it's a sellout. I expect nothing less than some pretty vocal fans.
ANDY RODDICK: I think in Davis Cup more so than any other event, I know -- I can speak from experience. I know early on in my career it was hard for me to play away ties. I feel that's something you kind of do have to develop. I think I've learned how to play in those ties pretty well.
But it definitely is a different dynamic going into someone else's home and competing with them and the fans.

Q. Bob and Mike, it looks like the Swiss have stacked their doubles team. Is that pretty much what you expected, have been preparing for?
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, I mean, I think that's probably their best team they got. Wawrinka obviously beat us at the Olympics. He's a gold medalist. He's a very good doubles player. He does everything pretty well.
Yeah, that's the best team they're going to throw at us. Allegro has been around for a long time. We've had numerous close matches with him. Yeah, I mean, as I said before, in the other press conference, he's a very accomplished doubles player.
He plays with Federer the last few years. Luckily, Federer is not here. We're probably sleeping a little better that he's not here. But we're really looking forward to playing those guys. Yeah, it should be tough.
TIM CURRY: The Bryan brothers are 14-2 for the U.S. Davis Cup team. The 14 wins is tied for the all-time record with John McEnroe and Peter Fleming. The next win will make them the winningest doubles team in Davis Cup history.:worship: :worship:

Q. Andy and James, Mike just mentioned that he will probably sleep better because Roger isn't here. Is that the same for you or are you disappointed that you can't play against him?
ANDY RODDICK: At this point it's irrelevant. We're going to play tomorrow and he's not on the team. I think this tie is now about the players that are here. I think that's what I'm focused on. I'm pretty sure that's what the rest of our team is focused on, as well.
JAMES BLAKE: Yeah, Patrick said it well, we don't worry about things we can't control.
Either way I go to sleep preparing as well as I can. I slept pretty well this week. I'll hopefully continue to do so.

Q. Patrick, a decision in Sweden not to allow any fans. Can you comment on your reaction to that? As a player, I'm assuming that would be kind of a tough environment to play in.
CAPTAIN McENROE: You know, it's hard to know exactly what's going on over there. We're not there. But just as someone that's involved in tennis, I find it disappointing, to be honest, that something like that is taking place. You certainly don't ever want to see that happening.
But it's hard for me to comment further on it without really understanding the details of what's going on over there. But it's certainly not good for that to happen, for the Swedish Federation to feel that's what they have to do to be able to play the match.
I'm sure for the players who are there, it will be difficult. The best part of Davis Cup is crowd participation in a lot of ways, is the people getting involved. It's different than any other tennis match that you go to all year. I think we'll see that here in Birmingham. I think we're going to have a great turnout. The community has really welcomed us. We appreciate that. I think the guys are pretty eager to show their appreciation to the fans that are going to come out this weekend. So that's what we're excited about.

Q. Andy and James, how much more exciting is a team format versus individual?
JAMES BLAKE: I think a team environment is something that's really exciting to all of us 'cause we play a very individual sport. So most of the time we're on the road. You're celebrating victories with your coach, maybe your family. But to do something together that you all care about is something that we've all really felt strongly about our entire careers, helped by Patrick kind of leading our team spirit. To wear the USA on our back, be proud members of this team is something we all cherish.
I'll speak for myself. Winning in 2007 is the best thing happened in my career, not just because of the emotions of the day, but the emotions of the entire journey with these guys. We felt we did it together. That's something you don't always feel on the tennis court. You're alone a lot of the times. That was the reason I got into the sport, was to be out there alone.
I've cherished the team atmosphere. I really can't say enough about how much I enjoy the time with these guys, the feeling of support you get, whether you win or lose. The highs and lows can be so much greater when you're in a team. But to have a team that picks you up from those lows and really accentuates the highs is something that is special to me.
ANDY RODDICK: Yes (laughter). :haha: :haha: :haha:
TIM CURRY: Thank you.

tsurupettan
03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
:rolls: That last question and answer. :lol:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=194653&d=1236285633:haha:

http://i42.tinypic.com/1fblab.jpg

I love Andy/the guys for stuff like this. :D

tangerine_dream
03-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I dare Andy to play his first match with that helmut on.

tennis lover
03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
what the hell?!?!?! :haha: :haha: :haha:

:sobbing: the press conference contains the word winningest. :sobbing: I was hoping to never hear that awful word again after the whole Phelps/Olympics thing. :sobbing:

partygirl
03-06-2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=194652&d=1236285633
I dare Andy to play his first match with that helmut on.Backward.

snaillyyy
03-06-2009, 12:54 AM
WTF!?!?!?!?! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Entry No. 2: “Late-Night Stop at Waffle House”

Thursday, March 5 – It was nice to see James draw the first match of the weekend series – it’s been awhile. Andy gets a little impatient, but he’s been through this enough. If James can win that first match against Swiss No. 1 Stanislas Wawrinka, it’ll give us a big leg up.

Although we’re not facing Roger Federer this weekend, I’m not worried about any let down from the guys. When we play Davis Cup, particularly at home with the huge crowd that we’re expecting, I don’t think there’s any danger of that.

The bigger goal is to try to get back in the hunt and try to win this thing again. We’re certainly aware of how well their guys can play and respect them a lot.

Last night, we had the official team dinner at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum. A team tradition, we had the practice partners take the stage and give a speech.

I thought that Alex Domijan, our rookie, came through. He was pretty quiet but composed. He’s been a great practice partner, and I think he’s got a tremendous upside in his game. I thought he handled himself pretty well – you always learn a lot about a rookie when they’ve got to go up there and make a speech.

They had all of these vintage motorcycles and sports cars there. It was actually one of the better places that we’ve ever been to for the dinner. It was very cool. We spent a little bit of extra time and walked around and looked at the site.

We were thinking about taking the motorcycles back to the hotel. We ended up stopping at the Waffle House on the way. We had quite an experience there at about 10:30-11 p.m., so we had some fun at the Waffle House. There’s nothing like the U.S. Davis Cup team eating some late-night eggs and waffles together -- a really good bonding experience.

This afternoon, we’ll have a nice 45-minute hit for each guy, just to loosen up. The week of practice has been great, and everyone’s feeling pretty sharp. So a nice easy hit today and then get ready to go after it tomorrow.

By the way, you’ll notice that in our team photos from the draw, we’re wearing our new Davis Cup warm-up outfits. The guys all love them, and we’d like to thank the USTA for them.

partygirl
03-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Oh wow that helmut pic is even funnier bigger...
With food stuck to the bottom portion like he tried to eat with it on and missed.
:worship::lol:

tsurupettan
03-06-2009, 02:18 AM
:rolls:

Love it.

kaylee
03-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Andy being a kerj again! Darn I wanted to see the new but awful haircut. I know this is the US DC thread but I am watching the Isreal vs Sweden match at the moment and it is really weird without a crowd. :scratch:

tennis lover
03-06-2009, 05:20 PM
:bounce: I hope there is a decent livestream for tonight. :D

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
any live stream for James/Wawrinka match?

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 06:49 PM
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-wabuk-4.html
or
http://atdhe.net/live-tv-4500.html

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks a lot :)

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
sure:D

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Is Andy watching? I can't see him

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Probably he left after the first set, to start preparing for his match :scratch:

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
No Hawk-Eye :O

Marion29520
03-06-2009, 08:20 PM
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/p3/20090306/20/970067336.jpg

partygirl
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Probably he left after the first set, to start preparing for his match :scratch:He left to get his helmet.:bolt:

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I read somewhere(before a couple of months) that from this year they will give ranking points in Davis Cup. Is that true?

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes it is true, i'm not sure of the exact structure (we'll find out monday) but it will count in the 500 category

acoffeygirl
03-06-2009, 09:01 PM
That's kinda cool. :)

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
A. Davis Cup points will be awarded for the first time in 2009 for World Group and World Group playoff ties only. Points allocated are as part of the 500 point category. Davis Cup does not count towards a player's commitment to the 500 category. The points accumulated in the four ties within the previous 52 weeks can become part of a player's 500 category if: 1. Player has not more than three 500 results within the previous 52 weeks and Davis Cup result(s) is better than lowest best other.
2. Player has four 500 results within the previous 52 weeks and Davis Cup result(s) is better than the lowest 500. Also, 500 0-pointers cannot be replaced.

acoffeygirl
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
my head hurts. I'll let someone else worry about all that.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
the GM rankings guru doesn't even understand it, he's left the rankings blank this week til he sees what the ATP does this weekend :lol:

acoffeygirl
03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Hahah nice...i go in that thread and just look at the list. If I try to read the posts where everyone starts to speculate and try to figure stuff out...I just start to cry. :lol:

tangerine_dream
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM
:haha: James. I knew this match would be good. When was the last time James won his opening match? Andy always has to save his ass.

Watch Stan be the Ivan Ljubishit this year, crushing all Americans in his path. Then when they get to the final maybe Roger will finally play. :aparty:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
no way, twins will win tomorrow, they want olympics revenge

heya
03-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Andy's bitter and anxiety-strickened selfish attitude's
exposed again.
Is it 110% effort...?
Wow, u went to the bench even though you
served it out. From 40-0 to 40-AD Chiudin.

You must be "shivering with shock and nervousness over Blake's loss."

tangerine_dream
03-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Heya! wb :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey heya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: how have you been?!! :hug:

Tytta!.
03-06-2009, 10:24 PM
heyaaaaaaaaaa :hug: :worship: welcome back :worship: :D :D we missed you :angel:

Kate87
03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
:p

Baghdatis#1
03-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Andy played really good. I saw it on TTC;)
The firste two sets were great. The second one was okay.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2009, 04:19 AM
March 6, 2009

Patrick McEnroe
Andy Roddick

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

A. RODDICK/M. Chiudinelli
6-1, 7-3, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please, for Andy or Patrick.

Q. Andy, how stoked were you, knowing what you had to do?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, I think obviously I would have been happier if James would have won. Obviously, that's what we're shooting for.
But it's a team competition. He's picked me up before. I've picked him up before. If they're down, I look forward to the challenge of bringing us back.
Didn't really change the scenario much, to be honest. You come into a day wanting to get a point for your team. The rest of it is just makes it circumstantial.

Q. Patrick, your thoughts before the match with Andy?
CAPTAIN McENROE: It's always good to have Andy in that situation. I mean, he's been there many times before. I thought he came out with a great start, sort of set the tone right away.
I've said this many times. If you ever want to have anyone when you're 0-1 down, it's Andy Roddick, to come out there and play for you. He handles the whole situation really well. He did it again today.

Q. Andy, how strong was the No. 341 of the world today?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, he played well. I think a little bit he was probably playing on the house's money. They're up 1-0. He probably didn't feel too much pressure, besides the crowd.
To be fair to him, I know that ranking is probably a result of injuries as opposed to talent level.

Q. Take us through the crazy point in the tiebreak. What's going through your head there?
ANDY RODDICK: A lot of quick thoughts. Not a lot of long, really well-thought-out stuff going on. It was kind of a blur.
He hit the shot where I dove. I knew if I could dive, I didn't have to hit it that well, because I had a lot of court to work with. I was able to kind of stick it out there.
Credit to him, he ran all over the place that point. That ended up probably winning me the match.

Q. Where do you think that ranks on your all-time point list?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I'd have to see them all.
No, I mean, considering the circumstance, the fact there's 16,000 people there kind of going nuts during the point, it's probably up there. I mean, I can think of probably just a couple.
Yeah, it was an exciting one.:worship:

Q. Andy, talk about energizing the crowd. I think they got a little bit of a slow start with James. The crowd really didn't get into the festivities. You seemed to immediately pump things up.
ANDY RODDICK: I thought it was important. I even said to our guys in the locker room before we went out, it's their job on the bench to get everyone enthused. Don't be scared to turn around and make eye contact with people, get 'em pumped up.
I know Marco has played a lot of tennis, but maybe not in this type of atmosphere too much. So Davis Cup, you know, the crowd's there to be utilized. I thought that was a factor.

Q. Patrick, what was your impression of the turnout in Birmingham and the crowds in the first match and second match?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I thought the turnout was great. I think it wasn't totally full, but had to be at least 13,000 there. That's a pretty awesome crowd for any Davis Cup match, particularly a first-round match.
I think as Soloman said, I think they were a little slow to warm up. I think they'll come out hopefully a little more energized even tomorrow. There hasn't been that much tennis here in Alabama. So that might have something to do with it.
Tomorrow's a huge match for us. 1-All in the doubles is an absolutely crucial match. Andy is always great at getting the crowd into it, letting them feel like they're part of the action. Certainly the Bryan brothers don't have any problem doing that either. We're looking forward to an even more vocal crowd tomorrow.

Q. What is the team dynamic like with the Bryan brothers around?
ANDY RODDICK: It's always interesting with them around, I'll tell you that (laughter). Where they are, hilarity ensues most times, in a good way. I get a kick out of watching them practice. Even when they're on the practice court, they start fighting with each other, I just think it's hilarious.
They always add a certain dynamic to the matches. On top of that, they're the No. 1 team in the world. That's always something that you want to have on your side.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2009, 04:33 AM

Deboogle!.
03-07-2009, 04:36 AM
from thursday's practice

tsurupettan
03-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Andy. :yeah: Go Bob & Mike tomorrow. :D

And was it just me or were the acoustics in the stadium really good? I seriously thought I could hear every time Andy blew out a [big] breath of air during points or something when I was watching the match on TV.

acoffeygirl
03-07-2009, 05:53 AM
Anyone know if there is video of that shot?

Edit: found one...I just have to listen to Britney during it.

arodfanpe666o
03-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Phenomenal point, but the forehand he hit making 4-3 was really great also. :)

tennis lover
03-07-2009, 11:10 AM
And was it just me or were the acoustics in the stadium really good? I seriously thought I could hear every time Andy blew out a [big] breath of air during points or something when I was watching the match on TV.
I noticed that as well. :p

Deboogle!.
03-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Entry No. 3: “One Of The All-Time Points That I’ve Seen”

Friday, March 6 – That point in the tie-break was pretty amazing. You’re just trying to get out of that and finish it off in three sets. Andy just dug deep.

Both guys hustled incredibly and it was one of the all-time points that I’ve seen in Davis Cup, and very exciting for it to happen in the tie-break. As Andy said, it really helped him win that third set, getting that mini-break.

It’s pretty awesome to hear that Andy has tied Andre Agassi, who had one of the all-time great Davis Cup careers. I think even Andy’s humbled by it. He should certainly be very proud of it – he’s been there for so many matches. So that was awesome to see, and hopefully, he can break it and go past Andre this weekend.

We’re going to need that win on Sunday for sure, and we’ll need the Bryans to pull through for us as well. That’s a huge match for them. It’s nice to see them back, Bob having missed a match in Spain, and they’ve certainly been an awesome team for us.

And again, we wouldn’t want anyone else out there for us down 0-1 than Andy Roddick. And we wouldn’t want anybody else out there for us in the doubles at one-all with a lot on the line than the Bryan brothers. So I think because of that, I feel pretty good about the rest of the weekend.

For those of you wondering about James, he’ll be fine. It was a tough loss, but you’ve got to give a lot of credit to Wawrinka who played a heck out of a match.

But we’ll turn James around, and he’ll have no problem getting motivated if we need him on Sunday. This is what Davis Cup is about. Sometimes you lose one and then come back and win a big one on Sunday. It’s happened to Andy, it’s happened to James, and we just have to be ready for anything this weekend.

tangerine_dream
03-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah the acoustics in that place is great. :haha: You could hear every f-bomb Andy dropped after Chud started up with that ridiculously loud groaning to try to throw Andy off his timing.

*edit*

Adding HQ pics of Day 3, Andy vs Stan, and team photos. :)

tsurupettan
03-07-2009, 06:47 PM
...after Chud started up with that ridiculously loud groaning...

:lol: I wondered what the deal was with that. I was like, "wtf, is this guy fo'real?"

buzzy.moonbee
03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
claire has just posted this on ar.com she ripped it and i saw ppl wanted to see it so thought i would post its andys amazing point yesterday

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/kittyswanncluk/?action=view&current=andysshotdc.flv

heya
03-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Andy's looking uncomfortable with his shoulder movement, I just saw him cringing.

The Bryans aren't serving well now. Mike's double faults and loses serve. IDIOT DISASTER. I knew they'd struggle, as they did versus FRANCE.:confused:

acoffeygirl
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
claire has just posted this on ar.com she ripped it and i saw ppl wanted to see it so thought i would post its andys amazing point yesterday

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/kittyswanncluk/?action=view&current=andysshotdc.flv

Thanks...that was amazing!

Deboogle!.
03-07-2009, 10:26 PM
please win tomorrow andy:sobbing:
================================================== ======

Entry No. 4: “Five More Years of the Bryans”
Saturday, March 7 –It was a tough match today, but the bottom line is that we’d much rather be up 2-1 than down 2-1.
Even as a former Davis Cup doubles player, it’s hard for me to give advice to the top-ranked team in the world.

I don’t give the guys much advice, but they’re always receptive when I do say something. They kind of help me coach them, really. There are a few key reminders that we try to remind them of.

Even during the week of practice, we work on simple things about returns and what they do on the serve, and they seem to like that, to be reminded of the little things. But obviously, they’re so good at understanding doubles and working with each other, that in a lot of ways, they coach each other as well.

The Bryans mentioned in their press conference after their huge win today in doubles that they could see themselves playing another five years.

As their captain, that would be awesome if they did. I admire them so much for how much they put into every match in Davis Cup, and they’ve delivered for us countless times.

So to see them going up the list of history is great to see because they really deserve it and earned it. Now maybe, we can get Andy to get one match past Agassi, which would be a pretty historical weekend for the team.

Years ago, I might’ve had to keep an eye on Andy before a match like he has coming up tomorrow, but now he’s pretty experienced in these situations, much calmer and relaxed. Hopefully, we’ll use that energy in a positive way tomorrow.

Wawrinka has obviously played great this weekend, and we’re certainly expecting a tough match. Andy had a good day of rest today, and got some good work in yesterday in his win over Marco Chiudinelli. So he’ll be good to go.

And if he’s needed tomorrow, James will be – and has to be – ready as well. That’s part of the deal. James will bounce back. It was a disappointing match for him on Friday, but look at how well Wawrinka even played in the doubles today. So he’ll certainly be ready to go if we need him.

The guys on the team don’t really do much scoreboard-watching, but we did see that Croatia clinched their first round series today. We knew we’d be going away for that match, wherever we were going, but obviously we need to take care of business here. We have a very tough day ahead of us tomorrow, so if we can get through that, hopefully, we’ll be ready in July.

tsurupettan
03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
...Seriously. Please, Andy. :scared:

heya
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Do you seriously expect a break point choker like Andy to win DC... McEnroe?
Blake has spine scoliosis, and it obviously didn't disappear in his match.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 03:21 AM
DAVIS CUP FIRST ROUND: SWITZERLAND v USA

March 7, 2009

Mike Bryan
Bob Bryan
Patrick McEnroe

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

BRYAN-BRYAN/Allegro-Wawrinka
6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6

TIM CURRY: The Bryans set the record today for the most wins by a doubles team. They're now 15-2 together. As a note, the United States is 68-9 when leading 2-1 going into the final day.

Q. What was this about a fraternity but without the drinking?
BOB BRYAN: Just saying how tight we were. We were all at Stanford, there was a little drinking in that. But we stay away from the booze on the Davis Cup team.

Q. You've seen a lot of doubles teams over the years, Patrick. Can you position these guys in relation to the other great doubles teams, Smith and Lutz...
CAPTAIN McENROE: They're certainly right there at the top. If not at the top, certainly pretty darn close. You know, what's always impressed me about them, in addition to what they do on match day, is their preparation, just how professional they are, how motivated they are to go out there and perform on the Saturday.
To me, that says a lot because when you're willing to sort of look into the mirror and say, We're going to put everything we can into trying to win this match, then there's no excuses. You don't win 'em all. But I really admire the way they sort of put it all out there and say, This is a huge match.
They've always responded well to that and they enjoy that kind of pressure, to put it on themselves, to play for their team, their teammates and the country.

Q. Are they in a mold of a past team?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Absolutely, no question. I mean, Smith, Lutz. My brother and Fleming. Obviously, Leetch and Pugh, Flach/Seguso. I mean, look, they're surpassing those teams.
As I've told them many times, I hope it happens. I think they got a lot more years left, the way they take care of themselves, the way they take care of business day in and day out.

Q. Mike and Bob, do you see yourselves along the same lines, as a team from the past that you've seen on tape?
MIKE BRYAN: No. I mean, we have great respect for all the teams over the years. I mean, these are all teams that were our idols growing up. To be right there with those guys is an extreme honor.
We're just plugging away. I truly didn't even know we were playing for the record today at all. I was very surprised when Gimel said that after the match. It's great to look at when you retire. When you're in the heat of the moment, still in battle, you just want to keep trying to get better and look for ways to improve.

Q. When you first broke onto the team, did you ever think you would have this kind of longevity and success?
BOB BRYAN: No, I mean, in '03 when Pat picked us, it was one of the happiest moments to kind of be on the team. It was always a dream of ours to be on the Davis Cup team. Pat called us the night before the match and said, You don't have to win this match. You guys are our guys, my guys, for the future.
I also want to thank Pat for picking us this many times. These are the matches we look forward to the most. We do give everything we got to Davis Cup. Yeah, I mean, it's a thrill having him on the sidelines helping us out all week, too. We communicate all year.
It's a team effort. We're all going a hundred percent to try to get another Davis Cup title. But this is really, yeah, most special moments for us, to win Davis Cup matches for Pat. He has the faith in us and confidence that we can help contribute to the team. That's what we're trying to do.

Q. One of you gave some bulletin board material to Stan after the match.:o Are you willing to stick by the guarantee of a Roddick victory?
BOB BRYAN: He always gives a hundred percent. I don't want to put extra pressure on my teammate. :oIt kind of slipped out. He has an amazing record at 2-1. He puts everything out there. So, yeah, I'd rather be watching him shut the door than be playing. It's good.
TIM CURRY: Andy's record is 10-0 when he can clinch the match 2-1 on the final day.

Q. The weak link seemed to be Allegro early. Can you comment on the matchup? Did you hurt him or did he hurt himself even more?
BOB BRYAN: Davis Cup is always emotional. It's nervous times. It's a high-stress environment. You know, everyone doesn't always play their best every game. He obviously got a little jittery early and we took advantage of it in the first two sets. He settled down. We had a chance to blow 'em out there in the third with a breakpoint.
Got to give him credit, because he settled down, started playing some better tennis, making a lot more returns, serving better.
But, yeah, I mean, sometimes that happens. I mean, we get caught up in the moment out there. We just try to ride the energy and get the crowd going. I'll stop talking right now (laughter). Mike is kicking me under the table.:haha:

Q. How about rating Wawrinka? He's a gold medalist, played a solid match. You know the game inside and out. Where do you rate him among potential doubles players? Would he be up among the best if he played more?
BOB BRYAN: I think so. He's got all the skills to be a great doubles player. He won the gold medal. He showed today he was solid all the way through. He didn't feel the pressure. He made a lot of volleys, returns and serves.
I'd rate him, yeah, if he played day in and day out, I think he could be up there with the best.

Q. Yesterday the crowd sort of settled in and probably learned about what they needed to do. Was there a different vibe out there today? Talk about how they helped you late in the match in the tiebreak particularly.
MIKE BRYAN: The crowd was unbelievable. I can't speak for yesterday. I watched a set. It seemed like they were really loud and enthusiastic. Today was deafening almost between every point. It just gets in your head and you kind of lose focus, it's so loud.
But, you know, it really adds 10, 20% to our energy. It really feels like a home-court advantage. It lifts us. I think that's what kept our energy high in that breaker. They kind of pushed us through the finish line, which was nice.

Q. Patrick, can you comment on the crowd?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I think the crowd took it to the next level today. It's sort of what I was hoping would happen yesterday. I think you were right, that day one, they haven't seen too much tennis here, and certainly Davis Cup is a different kind of atmosphere. But they definitely were into it right from the first point. I think really helped our guys get off to a good start.
Certainly in the tiebreak, Mike and Bob really picked up their game there in that tiebreak, hit a couple great returns, sort of upped the ante there, got the crowd into it.
I think they got another level to go. So hopefully they can get there tomorrow for Andy's match and, if we need James in the fifth match, hopefully they'll be there for that, too.

Q. Guys, can you talk about sort of being ambassadors for doubles. Sure, people like watching singles. There's a different kind of beauty for watching and playing doubles.
MIKE BRYAN: Yeah, I mean, doubles is our life. We're always trying to get more people into the game. We do a ton of clinics and try to sign as many autographs as possible. We always thank people for coming out to the doubles. It's very nice to have a packed house out there.
Andy and James aren't coming, everyone is coming to watch us. That makes us feel really good. I'm just happy that we helped raise the popularity of doubles a little bit. We're going to hopefully do this for another five years, keep pushing ahead, because doubles is now getting on center court more often. It's days like this that really push doubles out to the front.

Q. Are you more fired up when a tie is 1-1 and you almost have to win or when it's 2-0 and you have a chance to finish it?
BOB BRYAN: It doesn't really matter. We're fired up anytime we're playing on Saturday. It's great to clinch. It's great to put Andy up 2-1, keep your team in it. Sometimes we're looking at an 0-2. So they're all special. We play it the same way every time.

Q. How aware are you of the net heads? What do they mean to you?
MIKE BRYAN: Net heads are awesome. I mean, they're fun. They really keep the crowd juiced up. When they come on the road, usually that's maybe all we've got.
CAPTAIN McENROE: In Spain last year, that's all we had.
MIKE BRYAN: They have the bells, help pump us up. Especially on the road here, the crowd was kind of drowning them out a little bit. They're cool, they got their songs, they got their faces painted.
BOB BRYAN: Yeah, it doesn't matter. You have someone to look to even on the road matches. All you need is a little pack of a hundred people going nuts, you can focus your energy on them. They've carried people through many a match out here in Davis Cup.

Q. Did you end up playing musically anywhere this week?
BOB BRYAN: No. Unfortunately, we couldn't make it. Got a little tight between practice and dinner. Week's not over yet.
CAPTAIN McENROE: They played your song today during the match. They played it during one of the changeovers.
BOB BRYAN: We have a new hit single.
CAPTAIN McENROE: Let It Rip. :haha:

tsurupettan
03-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Q. One of you gave some bulletin board material to Stan after the match.:o Are you willing to stick by the guarantee of a Roddick victory?...

What was said, or is it not exactly known? :scratch: I mean I can presume considering the tail-end with the question, but yeah.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 04:02 AM
oh, on court after the match, Mike "guaranteed" andy will win tomorrow....so of course, they asked Stan and the Swiss captain about it.....
---------
Q. One of the Bryan brothers guaranteed Andy would close it out tomorrow. How do you respond to that?
CAPTAIN LUTHI: Nice statement. I think we don't really care about what they said, honestly. If they said that they're going to close, it's good for them.
I tell you that it's going to be 2-all after the match of Stan tomorrow. That's my statement.

tangerine_dream
03-08-2009, 04:09 AM
That was a foot-in-mouth moment for Mike :lol: Not that Andy doesn't relish being under that kind of pressure but I wonder if maybe this could be the fire that gets lit under Stan's acne-scarred ass? :p

tsurupettan
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
:lol: Wow. I hope Andy does it, otherwise... :o Kind of a douche-y statement, even though I love the guys and it's nice to know they're so confident in Andy.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 03:07 PM
i don't think he meant anything bad, i think he was just caught up in the momentand it came out.. it kinda sounds in the press conference like he might regret it a bit :lol:

tsurupettan
03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I figured it must be something like that, but it's just like :unsure: I hope Andy can back it up since the guys just put it out there like that. :lol:

tangerine_dream
03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I couldn't hear the oncourt interviews very well. What did Andy say that got everybody laughing?

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
justin asked him about his first DC tie and he pointed to a kid way up in the rafters and said something about wearing jeans shorts and how he was that kid up there when he was 9 in 1992.... justin said something like, i hope this kid isn't wearing jean shorts anymore, and andy was like "Sorry dad" :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM

partygirl
03-08-2009, 08:59 PM
justin asked him about his first DC tie and he pointed to a kid way up in the rafters and said something about wearing jeans shorts and how he was that kid up there when he was 9 in 1992.... justin said something like, i hope this kid isn't wearing jean shorts anymore, and andy was like "Sorry dad" :lol:

:haha:

heya
03-08-2009, 09:03 PM
At least Stan can handle the stress with class. The Bryans tend to shove trash talk
at Andy (lost a poker game with them during Wimbledon time) and Davis C. opponents.

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
:p

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
:zzz:

tangerine_dream
03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Andy, THE CLOSER, Roddick, does it again. His perfect 11-0 clinch record remains intact. :worship:

31 Davis Cup wins now. :D

USA vs Croatia next, in Croatia's backyard, probably on clay. I think we owe them a homecourt beating, don't we? :devil:

*edit*

Adding headlines, and local story about the Net Heads. :)

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/03/net_heads_cheering_section_vol.html

Net Heads cheering section volleys for U.S. around the world
March 8, 2009

After being out-cheered Friday by Switzerland's noisier crowd, the Net Heads were admonished by the U.S. Tennis Association. The Net Heads responded, leading a boisterous crowd as the U.S. took a 2-1 lead Saturday in the best-of-five tie.

[...]

The Net Heads started as a joke. Jay Laschinger and his friend, Steve Baldas, were All-American tennis players at Georgia with John Roddick, Andy's brother. Laschinger and Baldas wanted to help Andy when he began Davis Cup play.

Mimicking hoop heads in basketball, they wore hats with nets on them for the first time in 2001 in Winston-Salem, N.C. The USTA helped promote the idea, securing tickets and making sure they got on TV.

"But we're both Wall Street guys man aging people's money and we didn't really want to get noticed on TV," Las chinger said. "So we decided to wear costumes. Steve wore a Zorro mask and I came up with the Phantom of the Opera."

When Roddick won his match, he did tennis' version of the Lambeau Leap into the Net Heads section to show his support.

Laschinger said U.S. crowds are by far the most respectful in the world during Davis Cup. :yeah:

"It's ironic because we're kind of famous for the obnoxious redneck in college sports, but in tennis you don't really see that," Laschinger said. "We've been in Spain and had a beer bottle from the balcony above thrown at us and it cut a Net Head."

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM
:yawn:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 10:34 PM
March 8, 2009

Andy Roddick

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

A. RODDICK/S. Wawrinka
6-4, 6-4, 6-2

TIM CURRY: Questions for Andy, please.

Q. Pretty Goody's play of power tennis. Your movement seemed to be really good today.
ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, it's been pretty good all year. That's just the way tennis has gone in the last -- even since I started seven, eight years ago. You see a lot more guys serving big and less guys moving well. I should say everybody serves big as opposed to it being kind of a standout thing.
You try to adjust and you try to keep up with the Jonses.

Q. Any little bit of trepidation in that Love-30 situation set one?
ANDY RODDICK: Sure. Sure. But something I've been doing better this year is just kind of -- Larry has been big on it -- taking your time.:yeah: You can't win all the points back at once. It's going to be a process when you're down Love-30. Just try to go at it.
I made him play every point. He kind of toughed them out there from 30 on there with a couple of rallies.
Anytime you're serving a set out, you don't want to be down Love-30. I guess that's better than Love-40.

Q. Did the time change affect either of you, do you think?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I don't think so.

Q. Did it for you?
ANDY RODDICK: I mean, with respect to daylight savings, we've gone from Memphis to Dubai before. We've crossed continents and countries. An hour time change I don't think was really probably too significant. If it was, probably easier things to do.

Q. Would you talk about the 11-0 record on final days. Is there something different for you? How do you explain that kind of dominance?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, in order to clinch, your team has to put you up 2-1.:rolleyes: So I've always had a chance to play that fourth match. A lot of it is circumstantial, just the way the schedule and the draw plays out. I've gotten a lot of chances to do that.
But I think I've simplified the way I look at it. You come in and, regardless of what the score is, everyone makes a big deal about it, obviously it's extremely relevant, but at the same time my job is to come in and try to win a point each day that I play.
I think that's why having Bob and Mike on the team has made it a lot easier on us, just because we don't have to worry about that middle day. I was never much of a factor to try to play doubles anyway, but there was always that thought.
You come in, and each person has their kind of defined role. It's almost like maybe a pitching staff. You know what you have to do. The rest of it's out of your control. Regardless if you're on a three-game losing streak or not, when it comes to your spot in the rotation, you want to try to pick up a point.

Q. Mike and Bob mentioned yesterday they didn't know there was any history on the line with them becoming the best doubles pair. Your history today, moving past Andre, what does that mean to you? Were you aware of it?
ANDY RODDICK: I was aware of it. I'm kind of a nerd about the history of our sport.:lol: It was in the back of my mind. You know about it, but then I didn't think about it until it was brought up yesterday that I tied. Probably few moments in your career where you really kind of sit back and are maybe a little bit impressed.
But when you get mentioned with Andre, who I grew up watching, I was a little late for Johnny Mac and his dominance in Davis Cup as a singles player, but Andre was always the guy that everyone leaned on to come through, to play.
To kind of surpass him now, it's extremely surreal. But it's definitely one of those fun moments also.

Q. Wasn't a great result at the time, but what did you take away from '05, playing with Andre in L.A. against Croatia?
ANDY RODDICK: I wish I could have played better for him. I'm sure he wishes he would have played better also.
But I think more so than that weeks, my memories with Andre are from how great he treated me when I was 17, 18 years old, coming up. Once I think he felt -- I don't know if it was a conscious thing or whatever, but maybe when he felt I could go it on my own, he maybe distanced himself a little bit. He was a huge part of me first coming up even before I had an ATP ranking. He took an interest in me, was always full of advice. We spent weeks practicing together.
I probably learned a lot more during that time than maybe that specific tie.

Q. You're a squared-away team. Lots of times great teams mean great coaches. Can you talk about Patrick's coaching style, what he brought to the team.
ANDY RODDICK: First of all, he's passionate about the job. He'll tell you what he thinks.
But I think the most impressive thing about Patrick has been his ability to adjust over the course of eight or nine years. He's not the same captain he was when we first came on. We were all a little bit younger. Maybe we didn't know how to run our weeks of practice. He was probably a little bit more forthright in what he wanted from the team and everything.
I think as we've gotten older, I think he's learned to trust us a little bit more and to back off. Bob and Mike know what they're going to do, their doubles drill. Patrick is there to facilitate it a little bit more. I think that's impressive from the standpoint of a coach, to really adjust to your players.
I think he needs to maybe -- maybe that part of it doesn't get acknowledged.

Q. Talk about the challenge of playing Croatia on clay, the possibility of clay, right after playing on grass at Wimbledon.
ANDY RODDICK: Well, they'll have the same challenge. You know, everyone's saying clay. I mean, I'm not entirely convinced it's going to be on clay. I don't know if that really helps them all that much.
It's going to be a choice of whether they want to try to help themselves a lot or just make us uncomfortable. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that we'll play on clay, especially with the success they had against us twice on hard surfaces. Once in '03, I wasn't at that one, but beating us on hard at home.
We'll see. Everyone's kind of quickly jumping on that assumption, but I don't know if it's a slam-dunk.

Q. Do you have a target percentage you look for in first serves? Today was 73%. Talk about the way you served today, what you look for.
ANDY RODDICK: That's about right.
No, I mean, I don't know. High 60s is good. This year I think coming into the weekend I was at about 70% first serves made for the year so far. That's really good. The guys that I'm up there with right now are guys who might kick a lot of first serves in or whatnot. That's kind of been the progression of my serve.
My coach says it's not so much about doing it, but you got to pitch a good ballgame. That will be more advantageous to you. So I've tried to do that a little bit.
I guess the percentages are reflective of that a little bit.

Q. I know family members of yours were bidding to bring the first-round tie to Texas. Did any of them make the trip?
ANDY RODDICK: No, I'm the lone one.:awww:

Q. How do you think Birmingham compared as a Davis Cup host to other cities? What stood out to you good or bad?
ANDY RODDICK: I thought it was great. As much or more so than any other city, you know, we'll be walking around, and people will come up and say, Thank you for coming to Birmingham. That's pretty humbling. I think we always feel privileged for someone to kind of almost make us members of their city for a week at a time, make us feel at home.
It seems like people were certainly appreciative that we were here. It goes both ways. We were appreciative of that. It was a really good atmosphere. I feel like they definitely got more and more vocal as the days went on. It was a lot of fun to be here.

Q. At what point in a match like today did you know you have it right where you want it?
ANDY RODDICK: I was feeling pretty good about my chances when I got that second break in the third.:lol: It's little steps to get to a big result always in a tennis match. When you're watching, it kind of looks easy.
If I lose serve in the first set at Love-30, it can completely change the dynamic of the match. You win the first set, you realize it's going to be a long road for him. Second set, you feel like you're in control, but you still just want to put your claims down. I almost let the third set get away from me the first day.
I took a little bit of a deep breath when I got up two breaks in the third, then promptly got down Love-30 again (laughter).:rolls:

Q. Pitching a ballgame, your serve, you had that ace to go up to get to match point. Looked like you took a little bit off of it, spun it in. Is that accurate?
ANDY RODDICK: I don't know that I was consciously trying to do it. I think the thing with this court, if you get action, the court will help you out a little bit. You don't have to go quite as big, especially on the wide serves because it will tail away a little bit. He hadn't shown me he was willing to come over returns at that point. He was just chipping it. I knew I had a little bit of leeway there. Came off that way, but I don't know if I intended it to, though.

Q. What do you think when a teammate comes out on TV and says it's a done deal, Andy is going to win?
ANDY RODDICK: I was putting on my shoes. It was on. I don't know what he said. He said, He's our closer. So I said, Goddammit, Mike.:haha: I was putting on my shoes. He goes, I guarantee victory.:haha: I progressively just got tighter and tighter as he was talking.:haha:
But I guess it would have been easy to blame him if I would have lost (laughter). He ended up looking smart.:worship:

Q. Wawrinka said his strategy was to attack, you attack the net.
ANDY RODDICK: For what now?

Q. To attack. To attack you. Did you expect him to want to go with longer rallies?
ANDY RODDICK: I thought he actually was going longer rallies. He came out of the gates firing his forehand pretty hard. I didn't really feel that he was trying to get in a whole lot. Certainly I feel like if I'm serving well, that's going to be a tough task. But he was coming out of his shoes on his forehand early on. Was successful early on. But I wanted to make him do it. It's a lot easier to come out of your shoes when you're up 30-Love as opposed to a 30-All point on your own serve.
He actually laid off his backhand a little bit more than I thought he was and was going for his forehand, which is a little bit different than what he might normally do. But I think I must have been doing something okay if that was the strategy. I don't feel like he was on the net too much.

Q. Croatia, slightly new cast of characters. What kind of new challenges do Cilic and Karlovic who can serve out after tree present?
ANDY RODDICK: We'll see if Karlovic is a factor in the singles. My guess is we're going to be looking at Ancic and Cilic. He's a young guy. He's kind of like a Gumby mover. A bit deceiving. Doesn't look like he's the fastest guy, but he hits well reaching, which sometimes is better than moving. He's certainly able to create. It seems like every person in Croatia is at least 6'7" or taller.:lol: We're definitely looking up.
But they're an aggressive team and certainly one that we respect. We'll have our hands full.

Q. Your serve was going in like 130. What's the fastest you've ever served?
ANDY RODDICK: 263 miles an hour (laughter). If I was a car, I'd be a Ferrari. No, I'm joking (laughter). I'm joking. Don't let that be a headline somewhere. Completely joking.
155. Lost a little. Seriously, no one write that Ferrari line. Don't do it (laughter). Please, don't. :haha: :haha:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Entry No. 5: “On To Croatia”

Sunday, March 8 – I’m really proud of Andy. Not just what he’s accomplished as a player, but he’s getting better and improving as a player, and I think we saw that today.

The way he combined offense and defense, and the way he made the right decisions on the court at different times over the match was really impressive.

He played such a composed, all-court match. It was great to see because I know how hard he’s been working. All you can ask for out of any athlete is to improve and keep getting better. And obviously, he relishes these situations to play with a great crowd and in a position to clinch a tie, which he did again.

His new coach, Larry Stefanki, has done a great job with him. More than anything, I just feel that Andy is making the right decisions. He’s worked on different parts of his game, and it’s so nice seeing it all come together at the right time.

He’s using his backhand slice, he’s coming in at the right time and being aggressive with the forehand when he can, while playing great defense. He’s understanding that there are many different ways to win a point.

It’s been an awesome week here in Birmingham. The crowd has been phenomenal, and the hospitality second to none. They treated us real well, and we’re certainly happy about coming here. It’s certainly another place that we’d be excited about coming back to.

But first things first, we have a huge match in the quarterfinals away against Croatia. That’s going to be a difficult match for us to win, but if we can get past that one, we’ll see where we’d end up from there.

In terms of our scheduling, it’s going to be a quick turnaround. The good news is that we’ll be in Europe, and we’ll be in the same time zone. That’s usually the hardest thing to adapt to. But, certainly, the Croatians will have to deal with it, too. They have some players who can do very well on grass at Wimbledon. So we’ll get over there as quick as we can and get ready to play as quickly as possible.

I remember back to last year when we traveled to Madrid for the semifinals and suffered the late drop-outs because of injury to James and Mike.

We’re always worried about wear and tear because of how much tennis these guys play. Certainly after the clay-court and grass-court seasons, it’s going to be something to keep an eye on. But we’ve been pretty lucky, overall, and our guys take such good care of themselves physically, so hopefully we’ll have a full arsenal of our players ready to go.

Finally, for everyone going to watch the tennis coming up in Indian Wells, Andy, James and the Bryans will all be there. But also make sure you check out the qualifying tournament. One of our practice partners, Alex Domijan, will be participating in qualifying, and we’re really excited about his potential. He’s working with one of our top coaches, Jose Higueras, and we’re continuing to monitor his development.

tsurupettan
03-09-2009, 01:02 AM
:lol: Wrong Bryan there, PMac.

And great interview from Andy as usual. :rolls: The part with Mike and the Ferrari comment. :lol:

heya
03-09-2009, 02:55 AM
pat and Gimelslob act
all patronizing like the bandwagon jumpers they REALLY are.
How is he uncomfortable with taking his forehand earlier than his backhand...Justin?
Oh yes, you are the volley-dive genius with huge weapons!!!!!
He had more fitness and balance issues than you'd like to admit, huh?

Did Pat call Blake superior because he won more titles,
and supposedly HIT HARDER on
both WINGS? LOL :rolls: chumps galore :retard: :bounce: :devil:

Deboogle!.
03-09-2009, 03:03 AM
March 8, 2009

James Blake
Patrick McEnroe

BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA

JAMES BLAKE / Marco Chiudinelli
6-4, 7-6(6)

TIM CURRY: Questions, please.

Q. James, the decision to actually play the fifth tie, was that something the captains discussed and you came to an agreement about or did you actually want to give the fans a treat?
JAMES BLAKE: No, I like to get the Bryans a little nervous and keep them on the edge of their seat as to whether they're going to play or I'm going to play.
In the end it's great to go out there and work on your game and give the fans hopefully a treat. Hopefully they enjoyed watching me play. I was going to practice anyway, so there's no better way than getting match practice in. Marco played well. It was perfect. I had fun. The fans had fun. It saves Bob and Mike from being pretty sore and maybe in an ice bath tomorrow.

Q. So you wanted to do that yourself?
JAMES BLAKE: Yeah. I think Patrick wanted me to play. He'd always like me to play, to keep getting the practice. Even though it's not exactly the same pressure, as a normal Davis Cup match, it's still the pressure of Davis Cup. You got the big crowd. Might as well get me more and more used to it so I'll be ready one of these days if it is a live fifth rubber.

Q. You haven't won, but you walk out of here walking on air.
JAMES BLAKE: Came in here the other day, came in pretty despondent. Doesn't matter as long as we get to three. I hope the guys have confidence in me if it was a live fifth. I don't look at this weekend as a loss or anything personal. I look at it that we got to three, that's all that matter, and we're going to Croatia.

Q. Patrick, can you comment on Andy's performance today.
CAPTAIN McENROE: Well, I think we saw from Andy, I think he's improving, which I think is awesome to see. He's getting better. Obviously he's delivered again in a crucial situation for us. Sort of beyond that, the guy works extremely hard. You could see the subtle improvements in his game. That's all you can really ask of any athlete, is to try to get better. I think he's doing that. Just played a great match. Played aggressive when he could. Played defense when he had to. Made a lot of balls. Even took the offense when it was there, too.

Q. James, to what degree did you need the match today?
JAMES BLAKE: Well, I hope at this point in my career I'm not hinging my confidence level on a dead rubber. It was great to win. It was great to play as well as I did, especially volley as well as I did, keep moving forward. Had I lost that match, I'd like to think that a week of practice in Indian Wells would have done the trick for me coming out confident next week. I lost to a great player in Stanislas Wawrinka, when he was playing, in my opinion, some pretty darn good tennis. I'm not going to let that affect me. I feel like my serve was a lot better today, which was one of the things that let me down the other day. If I hadn't have won today, I definitely wouldn't have let it affect my confidence.

Q. Do you feel like you played a small part in Andy's victory today having worked out Stan on Friday?
JAMES BLAKE: I don't think I did anything made Andy serve 140 miles an hour or make enough returns and put that kind of pressure on Stan. I like to think I might have had something to do with it, just being part of the team. I hope I give the guys confidence that I'll be ready for a live fifth. I hope I create a pretty good mood in the locker room, have fun at dinners, playing cards, keeping the guys lose. I don't think being tired had anything to do with Stan today. He's a very well-conditioned athlete. We're ready to play these kind of weekends. That's what we do all our training for.

Q. Both of you heard Justin's remarks, Umag on clay. Do you think that's a done deal?
CAPTAIN McENROE: We certainly don't take what Justin says as gospel (laughter).:spit: :haha: :rolls: :haha:
No, I mean, whatever it is, it will be a tricky turnaround after Wimbledon, but we're all in the same boat, us and them. It's a good test for us. Got some very good players. Obviously Cilic is one of the great young players in the game. It's a great challenge. They're the only country that I've played as the captain more than once that we haven't beaten. Hopefully that will be some motivation for us.
But it will be a tough tie, whatever surface they play on.

Q. James, you have a great record going into Indian Wells. What are your thoughts going into that weekend?
JAMES BLAKE: I think it's brutal at times for some guys, the two weeks, but for some guys it's three and a half weeks or so of the time of year I have confidence. I feel great on those courts in Indian Wells. I the ball flies a little bit. The courts are relatively slow. I feel like it flies through the air, so it gives me an opportunity to attack and be aggressive. Miami, that kind of heat, the ball flies as well. I try to use my aggressive style that's been effective there in the past. I made the finals and had other success. Quarters last year. Played a good match against Nadal. Hopefully this year I'll go in there and have plenty more confidence.
It's usually a good feeling when you go into a place that you've had success in the past. You step in there, you remember all your positive memories, you remember how well you played, what you did, the mindset you were in then. Going into this week, I'll have hopefully a great week of practice. I'm sure Andy and I will hit a few times. Have a relatively relaxed first couple days, then really ramp up and be ready for Indian Wells. I'll definitely feel confident there.

Q. Patrick, when you look at Andy's record on Sundays, is there anything different about him on a match like today as opposed to Friday? Did he do anything today that surprised you at all?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I think he played better today. I thought he played more aggressively. Normally, obviously when he's playing on the Sunday, he's playing the better player from the other country. Sometimes, even when he wins on day one, he sometimes plays a little defensively because he doesn't have to go for as much to beat maybe some of the No. 2 players that he plays against.
I think he knew today he'd have to play aggressively when he had the chance, and he did that. At the same time he was extremely consistent. So I think that kind of wore on Wawrinka as the match wore on, that Andy was serving great, and the court certainly helps his service games here. He put a lot of pressure on Stan's service games throughout. I think that eventually caught up to him.
I think having that one match under his belt the first day, he usually seems to play in his second match.

Q. How does Birmingham's performance compare to Davis Cup cities as a whole?
CAPTAIN McENROE: It's been awesome. It's been a great week. The hospitality has been as good as we've ever had. We couldn't be happier with how the whole week went. People came out, got into the atmosphere, what Davis Cup is all about, and did it in a very sporting way, which is important to us, to show that our crowd can get into it, but do it the right way. I think overall it was great.
Hopefully down the road, if Birmingham wants us back, I think it would be a great opportunity for us to come back.

Q. Can you tell us about bringing the old goat if waffle house into the locker room today.
CAPTAIN McENROE: That was yesterday actually. She spurred us on during the week, so we wanted to thank her. Went out and got her some tickets. She seemed to be having a good time. We had a good time with her.

Q. Where did the team wind up staying this weekend? Was the location just a matter of convenience in terms of location, proximity to the arena?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Mostly convenience and proximity.

Q. What on the waffle house menu is suitable for a professional athlete?
JAMES BLAKE: I had three eggs scrambled, wheat toast, grits and a waffle.
CAPTAIN McENROE: These guys burn a few calories. They can pretty much eat anything they want.

Q. What about the captain?
CAPTAIN McENROE: I had a waffle, which I went for it. Shouldn't be doing that now.

Q. Andy came in before and told a funny story about his reaction being in the locker room when Mike made his guarantee. Did you not touch that?
JAMES BLAKE: We made fun of him. We always do. He's pretty much nicknamed 'the mouth'. We get a little nervous when the be mic is in front of him. We always have a good time. We have little things that the rest of the guys can make fun of us for. That's his. He didn't disappoint this time. Luckily Andy came through, because if he doesn't didn't, we were going to put all the blame on Mike. It's lucky for him that Andy was so clutch today.:lol:

Q. Patrick, Andy, watching him play today, at what point did you know he's got this thing where he wants it to be?
CAPTAIN McENROE: You never know. I mean, I've learned in my job as a captain that you never take anything for granted. You got to stay really focused or whatever your player needs, whether that's shutting up, which I was able to do a lot today because Andy was in control, or giving him encouragement at the right time. You never expect that it's over, you really don't. You just can't afford to do that. These matches are too important. Obviously Andy played great. You look back now, he never was in any trouble at all in the match. Even had more opportunities to kind of blow it open even in the second set.
He just played a very composed, focused, intense match. As I said, to me the biggest thing about the way he's playing is I think he's improving. You see he's coming in at the right time, making great decisions. He's aggressive when he has the chance. He's using his slice well. So I think he's becoming more and more of a complete player.

Q. The Love-30 game, serving for the set, goes down two points. It's not like he serves his way out of it. Was that kind of a lot of what you've seen in him?
CAPTAIN McENROE: Yeah, I think so. Look, obviously he's got one of the best serves in the game. That gets him out of trouble, too. When he get himself out of trouble with some defense, really smart strategy play, I think that's a sign of improvement, getting better. I think he's obviously in great shape. He's worked extremely hard. So I think he's just got more clubs in the bag to use at different times.
Oftentimes when Andy was younger, come in more, he'd come in on everything. Got to stay back more, he'd stay back on everything. Nice to see he's kind of figured out you can play a different style within one game and be successful. I think he's kind of found the right balance there.
TIM CURRY: Thank you.

heya
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Fedsy withdrew, as usual, but Pat didn't seem emotional at all.
Compare that to when Australia celebrated Nadal's win over Fedsy.
Pat was crying for a new coach,
despite calling Fed "unbeatable to Roddick";
as if Andy was working so hard to beat Federer with the 10 kg weight gain
and obsessive mother's boy trainwreck decisions that hurt his tennis result.... :rolls:

heya
03-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I recall Pat on the Mike and Mad Dog radio show:

He said
Slams aren't the most important FOR Andy.
Then he claimed that Andy would have 1 more Slam,
ONLY BECAUSE Federer showed up.

We forgot about the bad fitness and bad attitude toward important
tournies.
NOTE:
Andy's withdrawal in 2002 Aussie,
the 2005 Aussie surrender,
2001 US Open robbery by umpire/linesman,
2004-8 US OPEN: distracting MOJO Ads, whining about Djokovic's surrender
(Meanwhile, Andy comfortably slacked around with his brother,
and announced with the microphone
that he couldn't MOVE his legs, neck & back muscles).

iSzavay.
03-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Here is some stuff from the USA-Switzerland tie, I might actually do all the ties :lol:

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/0577fc0b.jpg?t=1236576690 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/aba11ef5.jpg?t=1236576679 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/7fd3bb29.jpg?t=1236576666 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/44ac3eea.jpg?t=1236576657 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/7d7be933.jpg?t=1236576638 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/59265982.jpg?t=1236576628
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/6832aee9.jpg?t=1236576645 http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/szavay1/bbbbc703.jpg?t=1236576612

tangerine_dream
03-13-2009, 04:37 PM
It's satisfying to see PMac get his due. :yeah:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3965468&name=bodo_peter
Masterful McEnroe the right guy
Monday, March 9, 2009
Posted by Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Although the U.S. won this weekend's first-round Davis Cup tie against Switzerland on a home court in Birmingham, Ala., with seeming ease (credit Roger Federer with an assist), it was still a historic occasion. Three Team USA players, Bob and Mike Bryan (the U.S. doubles team) and Andy Roddick (the No. 1 singles stud), had landmark wins.

The Bryans became the first team American team to post 15 Davis Cup doubles wins, surpassing the team of John McEnroe and Peter Fleming. Roddick eclipsed Andre Agassi to move up to No. 2 on the all-time singles wins list; he now has 31, 10 behind McEnroe.

But the McEnroe we ought to be talking about here is John's younger brother, Patrick. He made some history of his own this weekend, when he became the longest-serving captain in U.S. Davis Cup history. And his leadership is one of the reasons we see some of these individual records teeter-tottering. In order to set records, guys have to play -- both literally and figuratively.

McEnroe has done a masterful job as a 21st-century Davis Cup captain. I'm sure he would be happy to have more than one final win on the résumé, but the fact that he doesn't -- yet has never had the quality of his captaincy questioned -- tells you a lot about the changing world of pro tennis as well as his attributes as a coach.

McEnroe has managed and inspired his nation's top players with great understanding and wisdom. This is no mean feat. As dedicated as the U.S. players may be to Davis Cup, I don't think they would have developed the absolute dedication and fierce loyalty (to each other, as well as the cause) if McEnroe didn't take such a realistic approach to his job. He's more of a coach than a politician, although politics is always in play. And he has helped create and nurture a basic esprit de corps that can be downright touching.

In that last accomplishment, McEnroe has succeeded where many predecessors have failed. And it's a consummate irony that the man he replaced in the captain's chair in 2001 was … John McEnroe. John had a brief, stormy tenure, distinguished by his "my way or the highway" attitude toward player participation. And though the likes of Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi presented unique challenges, putting the dissension down to that alone is selling McEnroe 2.0, and his core group of players, short.

In Patrick, the U.S. found itself with a leader who is shrewd and patient, diplomatic and realistic, tough but flexible. And he has been like that proverbial ideal referee: You know he's doing a great job when you don't even realize he's there. After Andy Roddick clinched the tie for the U.S., I asked him to comment on how Patrick has been able to mold and hold this team together, and he said:

"First of all, he's passionate about his job. He'll tell you what he thinks. But the most impressive thing about Patrick has been his ability to adjust over the course of eight or nine years. He's not the same captain he was when we first came on. We were all a little bit younger. Maybe we didn't know how to run our weeks of practice. He was probably a little bit more forthright in what he wanted from the team and everything.

"I think as we've gotten older, he's learned to trust us a little bit more and to back off. Bob and Mike know what they're going to do, their doubles drill. Patrick is there to facilitate it a little bit more. I think that's impressive from the standpoint of a coach, to really adjust to your players. I think he needs to maybe -- maybe that part of it doesn't get acknowledged."

Pat McEnroe might not have the sexiest coaching style (he doesn't shake the umpire's chair after a bad call, or play riverboat gambler with his lineup, a la the Russian master, Shamil Tarpischev). He hasn't had the resources to build a dynasty, a la Harry Hopman. He's just the right guy for the times and his players, and he has been a major force in a general Davis Cup revival, at home and abroad.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=27604
A look at USA Davis Cup squad
March 11, 2009
By Charlie Bricker

You won't find Patrick McEnroe looking back -- at least not publicly -- over James Blake's loss in the U.S. win over Switzerland last weekend. And why should he? It's over and the U.S. is into the quarters with a 4-1 victory. In one sense, it's a non-issue.

But that doesn't mean, in another sense, that there isn't a growing number of tennis fans that think it's time to give Mardy Fish his first Davis Cup singles shot in five years.

When I spoke with P-Mac a couple weeks ago about the state of the USTA's High Performance program, I slipped in a question about the forthcoming tie against the Swiss. "Of course Andy Roddick is going to play one singles spot, but what about the other, Patrick? Are you at least considering Mardy?"

His response was very quick. James was his guy and there was no hesitation. Frankly, it was easy to get behind McEnroe's decision. Even though Fish had gotten off to a wonderful start this year and Blake had been up and down, Blake had the Davis Cup experience, the better ranking (No. 13 to Fish's No. 20) and the experience. Fish hasn't played a Cup singles match since May of 2004. It didn't make a lot of sense to insert Fish and drop Blake for Switzerland merely because Mardy had gotten off to a better start in 2009. That wasn't enough to dictate a change.

So Blake got the call and lost the opening match against the Swiss to Stanislas Wawrinka, a very dangerous opponent who won in four sets as Blake's backhand service returns had just about zero impact. That reduced Blake's singles record in Davis Cup play to 17-9, which sounds very impressive. But what most people don't know is that his record now in live-rubber matches is only 7-8. A number of those losses came early in Blake's pro career, so it's unfair to simply throw 7-8 out there as the sum and substance of Blake's Davis Cup value. Let's instead go back only to March of 2006, when Blake first reached the top 10 -- the point at which he became an elite world player. His live-rubber record since that point is only 4-5, with losses to Fernando Gonzalez, Mikhail Youzhny, Tomas Berdych, Tommy Johansson and Wawrinka. He has beaten Youzhny, Tommy Robredo, Stefan Koubek and Paul-Henri Mathieu.

Does all this mean Blake's spot in the team is in jeopardy? Not at all. It's ridiculous to think anyone's spot is in jeopardy at this point because the next round in this idiotic 10-month tournament won't be played until July 10-12. Anything could happen before then. An injury. A win streak. A losing streak. But I think it's fair to say that if Fish continues to play as well as he has and Blake does not record some serious wins, McEnroe by July will have a lot more to consider, and, while he may well choose Blake again, it won't be automatic.

Whoever gets the call, it won't cause any dissention with the squad for two reasons: (1) Fish and Blake are very good friends and both live in Tampa and train together at Saddlebrook and (2) McEnroe has done an exceptional job of galvanizing his players as a team and not a group of individuals. It certainly won't hurt Fish that when Blake was mentally exhausted last year for the Cup semifinals, Fish made the trip to Spain at the last moment to play doubles and paired with Mike Bryan for the U.S.' only point.

:sad:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/402822_ravi09.html
On Tennis: Blake's Davis Cup struggles shouldn't escape McEnroe's notice
March 8, 2009
By RAVI UBHA

Patrick McEnroe is pretty loyal to his Davis Cup squad, and why wouldn't he be?

Andy Roddick, James Blake and the doubles-playing Bryan twins, Bob and Mike, have routinely made themselves available over the years, with only a few exceptions. That's mighty impressive, given playing Davis Cup is somewhat of a sacrifice as pros forgo a week of training or rest, and often must change surfaces and endure lengthy journeys.

McEnroe, though, can ill afford to think too much with his heart when selecting his team for the tricky, but winnable, quarterfinal series in Croatia in July.

Specifically, the U.S. captain has to consider choosing Mardy Fish or Sam Querrey instead of Blake, who came unstuck against Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka in the first round of the 2009 edition over the weekend. The loss wasn't costly, since Roddick and the Bryans mopped up to give the U.S. a comfortable victory in the best-of-five affair.

Wawrinka is a streaky baseliner, similar to Blake, and he hadn't competed since the Australian Open. He likes to dictate with his stunning one-handed backhand, while Blake possesses one of the most explosive forehands around.

After Blake claimed the first set Friday, at home, it should have been smooth sailing. He appeared increasingly puzzled, and perhaps passive, in Birmingham, lost the momentum and fell 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6 (3). Blake served at under 50 percent, went a combined 0-for-4 on break points in the final two sets and delivered 61 unforced errors.

In opting for Blake against Switzerland, McEnroe declared he remains the U.S. No. 2 and bettered Fish and Querrey at the Australian Open. Away from the Australian Open, Fish reached two finals, winning one (after McEnroe unveiled his roster), and Querrey got to one final and achieved two other quarterfinals, superior to Blake.

Blake can make things a whole lot easier for McEnroe with a solid next four months.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/03/11/davismail/index.html

Bottom line: if Roger Federer had played, would the U.S. have still beaten Switzerland in Davis Cup? -- Ray, Atlanta

If someone asked you a hypothetical question, would you answer it? Ray asks an intriguing question that lingered during last weekend's action in Birmingham, Ala. The Yanks' win didn't come with an asterisk, but there's no question the vibe would have been a lot different had Federer played.

Just for fun, let's play this out: Wawrinka beats Blake, 1-0 Swiss. Roddick beats Wawrinka, 1-1. Have to believe the Bryans win the doubles, 2-1 U.S. Have to believe Federer beats Blake, 2-2. Then Roddick-Federer. In front of 15,000 fans. On a fast court. For all the marbles. Man, that would have been fun. Yes, Federer is Federer. But given recent history, the wildly partisan crowd, Roddick's ritually strong play in Davis Cup, I think you can make a strong case either way.

And here's the front page of the Birmingham News celebrating the US's win in Davis Cup. :)

heya
03-13-2009, 05:12 PM
:lol: Yes, Blake was exhausted and friendship with Fish is worth
more than Roddick's injuries and exhaustion in 6 to 8 matches.
Blake plays just 3 or 4 live matches. Even Andy said, "Honestly, Davis Cup 2007 made me lose my training" and he couldn't play well again. Look who are selfish and fake.

heya
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/138821-the-new-andre-agassi-andy-roddick

Roddick has the ability to become the next top player. :o
He could win at least one Grand Slam tournament, easy. He's got the best serve in the world—nearly spot on at around 130-140 mph.

His win in the Davis Cup against the Swiss was an important step in the process of becoming the best player "in town." He's got to compete with Rafael Nadal, who is just fast and agile, and Roger Federer, who doesn't have any consistency in his matches.

It's possible that he would have to be bartered about with James Blake on who is better. It would be a close call, but I think Roddick would pull out on top. Someone should get those two together and have them play a match. :rolls:

It would bring commercial, reputation, and entertainment benefits. This would be a big match, people would be confused, but they would love it.

tangerine_dream
03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
More PMac love. :inlove:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/03/tk-3.html
Pmac: IWCC, Day 8
Posted 03/18/2009

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451599e69e201116900b8a3970c-pi

Mornin', everyone. I'm shore glad that we at Tennis.com have such capable correspondents in the desert (Steve Tignor, of Concrete Elbow fame, and our own Andrew Burton) at the BNP Paribas Open, because it's freed me up to work on a substantial project for Tennis, the mothership: US Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe's Birmingham Diary. This will run in the July issue, and take you behind the scenes at the recent Davis Cup tie.

Would the material have been better if Roger Federer had represented Switzerland, as originally planned? I don't know. I do know that reviewing over 20 typed pages of my transcript with McEnroe, I've got loads more material - and excellent material at that - than I can possibly use. Well, the magazine's loss will be your gain, because I'll be able to publish the out-takes here, much like I did following me El Jon Wertheim and my extensive interview with Toni Nadal at last year's US Open.

A week ago Monday, I posted at ESPN (third item down) on McEnroe, who became the longest-serving Davis Cup captain in US history at Birmingham. I wrote the column as a tribute, partly because of McEnroe's Davis Cup record but also because I've always thought the world of Pat, going back to his early days as a fresh-out-of-college (Stanford University) journeyman, determined to make a mark on the pro tour despite having to operate in the rather long shadow cast by his older brother, John.

That shadow has never been as big a factor in Pat's life as an armchair psychologist might imagine. As he's told me of his decision to follow John's rather large footprints to Stanford, "Everyone said I was nuts, I was inviting comparisons to John, and that bar would be set pretty high. Well, the way I saw it I was going to be compared to John no matter what I did, so I might as well go and do what I want."

That's signature Pat McEnroe: realistic, shrewd, measured. . . much like he's been as Davis Cup captain. One of his great distinctions as DC captain is that he's never really upstaged his players (remember, he took over the job from John McEnroe - whose tenure as captain was as stormy and attention-grabbing as it was brief). He's a model of the stoic, low-key, decisive leader whose instincts are excellent. He eschews the big gamble or spectacular play and most of all he knows how to handle men - boys, actually, whom he's helped mold into men by creating a Davis Team spirit that hasn't been seen in the US since the days of Stan Smith, Arthur Ashe, and Bob Lutz.

If poetic justice would be served, Pat McEnroe's go-to guy in Davis Cup would have been. . . John McEnroe (although Andy Roddick does an awfully good job standing in), and it's a shame that due to (among other things) the intransigence of Jimmy Connors, John never did experience the degree of team solidarity and spirit that the current US squad personifies.

In the big picture, the shadow that John once cast was dispelled long ago. Pat has been a Grand Slam semifinalist (Australian Open), a Grand Slam doubles champ (Roland Garros); in addition to being the Davis Cup chief (his players like to call him "captain," or sometimes "P-mac"). He's also a fixture in the ESPN commentary booth and - for about a year-and-a-half now - head of the USTA's elite player development program.

Pat McEnroe is, inarguably, the most ubiqutious man in the US tennis establishment - both at the professional and recreational/fan-viewer level. The fly in the ointment is that the American game hasn't been in great shape since Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi stopped lacing them up. But McEnroe is working on that, too, in his role as head of player-development. It reminds me that I owe you an update on that issue, which I'll deliver sometime soon.

So let me go wade into my notes and transcripts on the Birmingham tie (Did you know that Mike Bryan gets so nervous before and during Davis Cup doubles matches that he pops Maalox left and right, and insists that Pat keep an extra tablet of the antacid tucked into a pocket on his US team jacket when he sits courtside to shepherd the Bryan boys through a match?).

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20090314/SPORTS/903140338/1002/SPORTS
The Davis Cup Experience
by Glen Howe
March 14, 2009

Last weekend, I was privileged to be part of the Davis Cup tie between the United States and Switzerland. Fifteen High Performance coaches were invited to be part of a workshop and be involved in the Davis Cup matches. Even though Roger Federer was out with an injury, the weekend promised to be quite exciting.

In almost thirty years of being in the industry, it is amazing to me all of life's lessons that I learned this past week. The three days of workshops were led by industry leaders in their respective areas. Paul Roetert, head of USTA High Performance, led the entire program over the three days and did an excellent job in his presentation of the "modern game" serve. A group of some of the elite 14-year-olds in the country were training locally and this gave us the opportunity to observe their training in a closed session. Several of the players were easily over six feet and had the ability to do things with the ball that many adult players can't do.

After attending classes all-day, it was now time to enjoy some Davis Cup tennis. Talking tennis with other elite coaches during high level tennis … it doesn't get any better than that. James Blake lost his first match to Stanislas Warwinka. Most were very disappointed that James lost the match. We found out later that he had an ankle injury and still suffers from scoliosis. James didn't make any excuses for his performance.. I have a tremendous amount of respect for this individual and what he stands for in American tennis. Andy than stepped up and methodically won his match in three sets. :D

The next day, our first speaker was Tom Gullickson. Tom spoke of his time as a former Davis Cup coach and former player with his twin brother Tim. He talked about the difficulty in dealing with each of the pro's needs and warm-up routines. Tom also spoke of the difficulties of representing your country and the unique pressure that went along with the privilege. After hearing a presentation from Dr. Mark Kovacs on enhancing your on-court performance, it was time to watch the Bryan brothers play doubles. If it wasn't exciting enough to start with, the twins created a unique sense of excitement. When a text from Patrick McEnroe (Davis Cup coach) was sent to the brothers in the locker room to see if they were ready to play, their answer was, "This is why we were put on this planet." Wow! They won the match quite handily.

On Sunday, Jay Burger spoke on the dynamics of our American players and the bond they have together. They practice together and eat their meals together. Jay spoke of Andy Roddick and why he had the nickname, "the closer." Jay also expanded on how important the morning "Starbucks" run was and that another trip would be taken if anything were forgotten. Our last speaker was the world-renowned sport psychologist Dr. Peter Haberl. He spoke in length about Warwinkas ability to destroy his racket on a change over and come back strong. Not a typical response to adversity.

Andy Roddick finished his final match and clinched the Davis Cup for America. The final imprint on my mind was the United States team trotting together around the court with an American flag. It was quite special and something that I will remember for a lifetime.

tsurupettan
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
:D Yay for PMac.

:lol: @ the Mike Bryan tidbit.

tangerine_dream
06-23-2009, 07:46 PM
:dance:

Devin Britton's website. (http://web.mac.com/tennismom/Devinbritton/Welcome.html)

New kid on the block, Ryan Harrison. (http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=126442)

Britton, Harrison named U.S. Davis Cup team practice partners
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Devin Britton and Ryan Harrison will serve as practice partners for the U.S. Davis Cup team when it travels to Porec, Croatia, for the 2009 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas quarterfinal tie, which will be played on an indoor clay court, July 10-12, the USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe announced.

Britton and Harrison will train with the team during the week and will be on the bench with the players during the matches.

Britton, 18, from Jackson, Miss., recently became the youngest player to win the NCAA Division I Men’s Singles Championship as a freshman at the University of Mississippi. In September, Britton advanced through qualifying to become the first American to reach the US Open boys’ singles final since Andy Roddick and Robby Ginepri met for the title in 2000. Britton is entered in the Wimbledon boys’ singles championships, which begin Saturday.

Harrison, 17, from Bradenton, Fla., burst onto the scene at the 2008 U.S. Men’s Clay Court Championships, when he joined Rafael Nadal and Richard Gasquet as the three youngest players to win a match at an ATP World Tour event since 1992; Harrison was 15 at the time. Since returning from a back injury earlier this year, Harrison has played exclusively on the USTA Pro Circuit and reached the quarterfinals of the $50,000 Challenger in Sarasota, Fla., in May. Last January, he earned a career-high ranking of No. 7 in the ITF World Junior Rankings after reaching the boys’ semifinals at the Australian Open.

The USTA and McEnroe expect to name the U.S. Davis Cup participants later this week.

Deboogle!.
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
If Pmac picks James.............

Winston's Human
06-24-2009, 02:12 AM
If Pmac picks James.............

I wish that Mardy would pass James in the rankings so that PMac would not feel some obligation to pick James.

Deboogle!.
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
it's coming soon, Steve. Could be real soon in fact.

OnyxRose
06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Mardy and Sam's (win or lose today) matches prove why they should be picked before James. Mardy was awesome today and Sam is showing on court what James lacks: an ability to think.

Deboogle!.
06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
an ability to think.and fight, too :o

Winston's Human
06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
and fight, too :o

I agree!

Deboogle!.
06-29-2009, 06:00 PM
PMac picked James. I really hope it's not an utterly gigantic mistake.

OnyxRose
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
I'll be hoping for Mardy to have a good summer hardcourt season so he can pass James.

Deboogle!.
06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Seems like it won't even matter. For some inexplicable reason, PMac is fiercely loyal to James even though he OBVIOUSLY doesn't deserve the spot.

kaylee
06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
oh dear hmmmm not good.

OnyxRose
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't imagine just how incredibly frustrating it must be for Fish and even Querrey. They've worked so hard and have won matches but yet passed over and over for Blake who has done absolutely nothing this year.

Deboogle!.
06-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I'm sure.

snaillyyy
06-29-2009, 08:42 PM
:tape: Really hope it doesn't come back to bite him. I just don't get it.

tennis lover
06-29-2009, 11:03 PM
:rolleyes: the other guys definitely deserve a chance now, James has had more than enough. :shrug: hopefully he'll be able to motivate himself and play well though. :)

Winston's Human
06-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Very disappointing news.

Deboogle!.
06-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Cilic and Karlovic for the Croatian team... wonder if they'll regret choosing clay?

AU1983
07-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Compare a much smaller crowd in a bit of a podunk place like Birmingham to a record-setting Texan crazy crowd in San Antonio, and like I said, I hope it wasn't a mistake.
I've read through the entire thread tonight and was wondering what your specific problems were with Birmingham that were based on personal knowledge as opposed to anti-Birmingham prejudice or pro-Austin sympathies. Sellout in an hour is pretty good, no? The most tickets were sold to Alabamians, with Mississippi next, then I think TN and GA, and Ohio of all places fifth on the sales list. Perhaps people who don't actually visit around here don't understand that there is a lot of tennis going on. Our section of the USTA is the largest, and I know that Alabama's per capita membership in the USTA is greater than the national average. Granted, golf is bigger than tennis here, but still we had great turnout, generally the best in US Davis Cup history.

Anyway, I happily attended the packed arena in my little podunk town and had a great time. Can't believe it's already been four months since that special weekend. *sigh*

As for next week's tie, I agree with posters who don't think Blake is in great form. He wasn't great in Birmingham - flashy in spots, but he was slightly worse than Stan in every aspect (he's a heck of a lot better than Chiudinelli). I'm not ready to characterize either Fish or Querrey as reliable, though. It'll be Randy and the Bryans to carry the USA through as usual - I don't see any Croat doubles teams beating the Bryans, and A-Rod has a lot more game than Dr. Ivo and Cilic, although they win on the height issue.

Deboogle!.
07-02-2009, 01:58 PM
...what your specific problems were with Birmingham that were based on personal knowledge as opposed to anti-Birmingham prejudice or pro-Austin sympathies. ...Considering youbrought up a post from over 4 months ago that I don't even remember making, all I"ll say is 1) I'm, not "pro-Austin" and 2) I am not anti-Birmingham, but to answer your question, yes I have been to Birmingham so I believe I do have personal knowledge. Thanks. I'm glad you had a wonderful time at the tie. :)

tangerine_dream
07-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Fish is stepping in for Andy. Andy's in NY getting his hip checked out. :sad:

ANDY TWEET:

hanging in nyc to get the hip checked out... hopefully nothing serious and will be back out on the courts in no time... my thoughts are withabout 1 hour ago from web...

my team getting ready to do battle in croatia... fishy is gonna step in and represent.... all the best boys!!!!!
about 1 hour ago from web

AU1983
07-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Considering youbrought up a post from over 4 months ago that I don't even remember making, all I"ll say is 1) I'm, not "pro-Austin" and 2) I am not anti-Birmingham, but to answer your question, yes I have been to Birmingham so I believe I do have personal knowledge. Thanks. I'm glad you had a wonderful time at the tie. :)
Thanks. I've been to Austin and thoroughly loved it, both the hot and humid river city with the bat bridge and the really cool rocky hills nearby. Quite a contrast. :)

I don't blame Roddick for skipping this week's tie, hip or no hip. The tie is going to be unusual from a height perspective.

Deboogle!.
07-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice James, always living down to our expectations. :)

Kate87
07-10-2009, 06:22 PM
James :D

come on Marty! :bigclap:

tangerine_dream
07-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Jamesy. :hug:

Come on Mardy! :bounce:

kaylee
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
oh lord the Bryans have to deal with Karlovic tomorrow let us hope he is really tired -watching DC live Mardy looked hurt in the second set - Doug was called but he is looking OK now.

blosson
07-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh no. This team is rubbish without Andy. :{

OnyxRose
07-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Davis Cup really drives home the state of US tennis. Ugh.

knight_ley
07-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Wow... :help:.

Deboogle!.
07-11-2009, 01:30 AM
the good news is that 1) it's not andy's fault and 2) if we lose, at least andy won't have to go to like, argentina on clay right after the USO

knight_ley
07-11-2009, 01:46 AM
the good news is that 1) it's not andy's fault and 2) if we lose, at least andy won't have to go to like, argentina on clay right after the USO

:lol: I love your way of looking at things. For once we cannot blame anything on Andy! :lol:

.... wait, this makes two times in one week we cannot blame Andy for things. This is getting weird.... :p

Deboogle!.
07-11-2009, 01:58 AM
:haha: :haha: there's a first (and second I guess) time for everything :lol:

andymo
07-11-2009, 12:35 PM

HAHA that's funny. At last, reporters will have nothing bad to say about Andy. They will have to say that when Andy is not there, it is pure chaos unless they win their next matches, and I hope so for Andy.

blosson
07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
The Bryans save the day (again)

Selby
07-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Who thinks PMac should pick Bob or Mike to play against Cilic tomorrow? :D

Deboogle!.
07-11-2009, 03:20 PM
:lol: based on what they're saying on TTC, it could be Mardy that has more problems tomorrow if James somehow manages to win - he's not even practicing today at all they're saying....

Selby
07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
If James wins and Mardy can't play I would love to see Bob against Karlovic on clay, it would be the match of the year :drool:
Bob-Karlovic>>>>>>>>>>>Andy-Federer wimby final :lol:
But seriously, I can't see James winning Cilic...

OnyxRose
07-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I say just let them come home; barring a miracle they're done for anyway.

Winston's Human
07-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Thank you James for not disappointing in blowing a two-set lead -- sarcasm off.

To think that several weeks ago I was bummed because I was going to be out of town without computer access for the first two days of this tie. Seems like I missed nothing at all.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 03:14 AM
not really! the amazing thing, I got to work right about when James/Karlovic was starting...more than 8 and a half hours later, I was leaving work and Mardy was still playing. now people are saying even if james manages to beat cilic, mardy might be hurt or something.

knight_ley
07-12-2009, 03:32 AM
:help:

GollyLou
07-12-2009, 08:49 AM
On Friday Mardy got treatment for his back or ribs or something on his left side at least twice. He took a bunch of pills for it too and Doug took him away for half of the Bryans match yesterday. :( I honestly don't think Blake will beat Cilic but if he does Mardy's gonna have to play.

And this injury must have taken place between Thursday and Friday because he was definitely practising on Thursday. Got kicked out of the stadium twice trying to watch him.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 04:59 PM
:bigwave: US. Too bad, with Czech beating Argentina, we could've hosted Czech Republic then hosting Spain we had a real shot at winning again. PMac, time to stop picking James, but good to know he's still good at living down to our expectations. At least, if we're gonna lose, let a young kid like Querrey or Isner or anyone else really have a chance to get live match experience.

OnyxRose
07-12-2009, 05:12 PM
If James couldn't be bothered to change coaches and learn how to win matches, then Patrick should not have any kind of loyalty to him to keep picking him. Hopefully, this means the end of Blake and Davis Cup.

At least Andy doesn't have to worry about it this year.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Amen to that. Unfortunately we might've possibly been able to win it this year with the way the draw shook out but it's still good andy can just focus on himself. like i said in GM, if PMac still picks James after this, I hope the USTA doesn't renew his contract. There are young guys out there who are more than willing to suit up and even if they lose too, they'll gain valuable experience for the future of the team.

Selby
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm watching Bob playing singles and it's awesome! :haha:

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
poor bob always shoved out there :lol:

btw Selby, mazel tov for israel, what an amazing effort :)

Selby
07-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't know if Bob likes to play those dead rubbers, he probably doesn't but he's OK to watch, though he should come to the net much more often.
Thanks Deb but I'm not really a Israeli tennis fan and I think I might be one of the very few cause when it comes to sports everybody is very patriotic here.
For me it's just American tennis plus Murray(in a lower priority).

Winston's Human
07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, as long as Blake is the 2nd ranked American, PMac is going to feel obligated to select him. Somehow, I cannot see the USTA making a different decision than PMac.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Well, hopefully by next Spring either Mardy and/or Sam will be ranked above James.

dannycro
07-12-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/james-blake-ne-zna-gubiti/441393.aspx

Croatian media reporting that Blake might retire from US NT.

Also PMac didn't back him up in his anti Croatia/crowd rage.

They also mention how US NT members and officials who were in Poreč are pretty disappointed and mad at Blake for his attitude and behavior/words during the whole event.

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for posting. I will take your word on what it says :lol: Do they have a reason for speculating he might retire, or are they just guessing? Very interesting. As I said in the GM thread, the others all on twitter seemed very pleased with the situation in general, I would hope anything James has said or done there isn't being attributed to the rest of the team if they've done nothing wrong. Wow James :o

dannycro
07-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Its his own words...

"Nisam siguran kako razmišljati o nastavku karijere u Davis cupu. Sada sam još vruć. Mnogo toga ne štima, ITF ne sluša igrače, loši su uvjeti na terenima...još uvijek razmišljam o svemu. Vidjet ćemo."

To summarize it... he isn't sure what he thinks about his further career in DC and he says that he isn't happy with how ITF organizes Davis Cup in general.

He ended up interview with "i'm still thinking about everything... we will see what happens"

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
oooooh. thanks :)

Selby
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I really like James and I hope he finds some motivation and doesn't "give up" on the rest of his career and on the NT just because he's almost 30. He's still got some great tennis, his problem is mostly mental.
But yeah if Sam is the next generation then he has got to get some DC matches under his belt.

Bob won! good job, those serve&volleys to save match points were :drool:

Deboogle!.
07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Bob :worship: :worship: :worship:

Winston's Human
07-12-2009, 09:32 PM
What did James say about the crowd on Friday?

I missed the match because I was on vacation.

GollyLou
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Bob! :worship:

Mardy was killing me during that match, he was goading Bob the whole time. It was hilarious. He couldn't stop laughing.

knight_ley
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Ugh, James frustrates me so much. I feel like since the Olympics he has just completely lost his head. And it's making me very sad to watch. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to step down from DC if he can't get himself together, even just for the first tie or two of next year. Before this tie started I was upset that everyone was bashing him so hard, but after seeing how he acted this weekend, I can't say I blame anyone for not wanting him to get picked next year.

Ugh. I just hope he gets his head in the game, like Zac Efron did.

Tytta!.
07-13-2009, 01:08 AM
/bgmodeon
jimmy b = :hearts:.
\bgmodeoff