News thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

News thread

Pages : [1] 2

Truc
09-19-2008, 09:06 AM
(I never know where to post the random news, like the commitments, the exhibitions, etc.)

L'Equipe writes today that they invited him for one day yesterday, he took part to the editorial conference, etc. - but I have no idea what it means and what is the point for us. Was he on l'Equipe TV, maybe? :confused:
They just say that he was "studious", but "not very talkative for a change" because he found the news boring (it was all about the expansion of the Roland-Garros stadion, poor him). He said he's "in hibernation" and confirmed he will come back for Metz (I still don't get why he's playing there!) And he was all smile when he was asked about the Masters, means it's a great incentive for the rest of the season.

:shrug:SIMON À « L’ÉQUIPE ». – Gilles Simon, vainqueur dimanche du tournoi de Bucarest, a répondu hier à l’invitation de L’Équipe. Pour une fois presque pas très causant ( « La guéguerre autour de l’extension de Roland-Garros, avec tous ces points à éclaircir, je vous accorde qu’il y a plus passionnant dans l’actu…»), il a assisté à la conférence de rédaction de manière studieuse. En phase momentanée d’ « hibernation » , le Français, qui a décroché en Roumanie son troisième titre cette saison, reprendra la compétition à Metz dans dix jours avant d’enchaîner sur Vienne, Madrid, Lyon et Bercy. Douzième à la Race, lancé dans la course aux Masters, il arborait hier un large sourire à l’évocation de cette fin de saison. « C’est quand même mieux de jouer avec cette carotte au bout ! »

Truc
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
And there are now articles confirming he will play with Cornetto at the Hopman Cup next year - Alizé said that in an interview about the Olympics last time, she said they got to know each other better in Beijing and they really get along, so it's great they will play together at the Hopman Cup:France name strong Cup team

FRENCH hopes of a first-up Hopman Cup tennis triumph have been given a massive boost following confirmation that Alize Cornet will team up with Gilles Simon to represent the country.

Cornet, ranked No. 18 in the world, burst onto the scene at the Italian Open earlier this year when she beat Serena Williams, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Anna Chakvatadze en route to the final.

Simon is ranked No. 17 in the world and has won three ATP tournaments this year.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,20797,24370814-23210,00.html

lisaplenske
09-19-2008, 04:14 PM
great great news thank you:)

best french tennis team since a long time and mauresmo/santoro:cool:

both are from Nice and trains there.

Truc
09-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Let's see first if they really both show up, the French team always looks great on paper and it always ends up with some last minute change. Gaël-Tati last year sounded great too...

Gilles doesn't train in Nice, he left Nice as a kid already and grew up near Paris. But the two "Niçois" would be a nice team indeed.

Truc
09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
There also was an article comparing them lately, btw:
"Le sprint de Cornet et Simon (http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/16092008/70/les-francais-es-le-sprint-de-cornet-et-simon.html)"
The main points were: both from Nice and current French number 2, with a possible shot at the number 1 spot, unexpected raise in the rankings this year based on a huge confidence and a stable relationship with their respective coach, same straightforward style and open relationship with the media (in opposition to the two French number 1 who always seem defensive towards the media) - and also the fact that they both still lack a good result in a Slam.

I found the comparison pretty far-fetched, they seem very different to me - Alizé is so much younger, had a very sudden raise in the rankings, she's much bigger in the (tennis-related) media, etc. But some points are true, especially the stability and the attitude with the media imo.

lisaplenske
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Let's see first if they really both show up, the French team always looks great on paper and it always ends up with some last minute change. Gaël-Tati last year sounded great too...

Gilles doesn't train in Nice, he left Nice as a kid already and grew up near Paris. But the two "Niçois" would be a nice team indeed.

Ah ok,I thought he trains sometimes at sofia antipolis but he became a "parisien" its ok for me:p;)

I hope they will go and play this event.It would be great for them I think;play against good players without any pressure.
Great experience for them.

tedlesurfeur
09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
And there are now articles confirming he will play with Cornetto at the Hopman Cup next year - Alizé said that in an interview about the Olympics last time, she said they got to know each other better in Beijing and they really get along, so it's great they will play together at the Hopman Cup:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,20797,24370814-23210,00.html

I read that in Tennis Magazine as well :lol: She said she was all excited to play with someone with whom she gets on well.

Truc
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't get why he still plans on playing the Hopman Cup, it was OK when he was going to have a normal break, but the situation is different now. They keep talking in interviews about all the things he will work on during the winter break ("les chantiers"), I always wonder when exactly he's supposed to do all this in one month?! The upper body work out, the 2nd serve, the netgame...

Anyway, he's still in Mauritius, played a sort of exhibition at his hotel yesterday, as expected. (Care factor around zero, I know).
La pression des compétitions comptant pour la saison 2008 est bien terminée pour Gilles Simon. Très décontracté, le 7e meilleur joueur de tennis au monde était en démonstration hier sur les courts de l’hôtel Mauricia. Actuellement en vacances à Maurice, le n°2 du tennis français a échangé quelques balles avec le Franco-Mauricien Enzo Couacaud et d'autres amoureux de la petite balle jaune.
http://www.lexpress.mu/images/118468_1.jpghttp://www.lemauricien.com/mauricien/081125/sp1g.jpg
http://www.lemauricien.com/mauricien/081125/sp.htm#1

Truc
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
It's confirmed he will take part to the preparation course of the FFT in Saint-Cyprien which starts on Monday (1.-12.12) together with Tsonga, Serra, Chardy, Mannarino, Montcourt, Ouanna, Recouderc, Sidorenko, etc.
http://www.fft.fr/filinfos/default.asp?ID=4395

They do that every year, the emphasis is put on the physical training, with activities like mountain hiking, bike rides, team sports, etc. + some tennis training too, of course.

soulage
11-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Even in holidays, he plays Tennis ! Crazy guy :angel:

He will stay 10 days in St-Cyprien

Reprise: Tsonga et Simon à Saint-Cyprien

Désormais confortablement installés dans le Top 10 de l'ATP (respectivement aux sixième et septième rangs), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga et Gilles Simon connaissent leur programme de reprise en vue de la saison 2009. Pour la deuxième année consécutive, la Fédération organise en effet, à Saint-Cyprien, un stage d'avant saison axé sur le physique en compagnie d'autre joueurs tricolores (Serra, Chardy, Mannarino,...) du 1er au 12 décembre. Leurs homologues féminines seront quant à elles regroupées à Anglet, du 2 au 13 décembre, avec des joueuses comme Pauline Parmentier, Nathalie Dechy ou bien encore Mathilde Johansson.

Edit : you're so fast Truc lol

Truc
11-27-2008, 12:54 PM
And I was reading an interview of Jérémy Chardy on his website, of course he's asked about Jo and Gilles (French tennis players can't give an interview without being asked about Jo and Gilles lately) and he says they will play doubles together again at the Australian Open. (He answers he's happy for Gilles since they get along very well, etc.)
http://membres.lycos.fr/jeremychardy/interview.htm

turtle-rn
11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
They do that everywhere
I guess you meant "every year" :p
I saw some vids about it last year; it looked like it was a lot of fun and quality time. Good way to resume practice after a short and photo-less holiday..

Truc
11-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Oups, it's edited, thanks!
Yes, that's the nice side effect for us - the pics and the reports.
He always takes part to it, he talked about it last year at the beginning of this interview:
http://www.sports.fr/cmc/tennis/200751/simon-j-affiche-mes-ambitions_159565.html
He says it's fun and he also likes there are some Juniors ranked out of the top 1000 in the group because he did the same when he was younger and it helped him a lot, etc.

Truc
12-02-2008, 08:56 AM
In Le Parisien:
Malgré la brève coupure, Gilles Simon se sent déjà d’attaque pour préparer 2009. « Je suis un homme tout neuf, se marre le demi-finaliste du Masters. Finalement, quinze jours, c’est assez long pour récupérer et déconnecter totalement du monde du tennis. »

The break was short, but he means he feels like "a new man" already and 2 weeks were enough to recover and completely forget about tennis.
He should join the other guys in Saint-Cyprien today (http://www.lindependant.com/articles/2008/12/01/20081201-Sports-Tsonga-et-Simon-a-St-Cyprien.php5).

Truc
12-03-2008, 07:27 AM
An article about his arrival at the training camp yesterday:Le Roussillon porte-bonheur de Simon

Comme l'an dernier, Gilles Simon, nouveau n°7 mondial, va préparer sa saison à St-Cyprien. Arrivé hier à Perpignan, le Niçois va passer une dizaine de jours en Roussillon et poser les bases d'un exercice au cours duquel il espère se maintenir dans le Top 10 mondial.

Le nez plongé dans le coffre de la Jeep du président du Comité du Roussillon Bernard Massines, venu l'accueillir quelques minutes plus tôt à la Llabanère, Gilles Simon tire de ses deux gros sacs pull, collant "skins", écharpe et bonnet. Hier matin, le soleil avait mis ses rayons dans le torchon et sur le parking du Palais des Expositions, balayé par une tramontane piquante, le nouveau numéro sept mondial retrouve ses copains du Team France, les Chardy, Serra, Montcourt, Recouderc... arrivés la veille à Perpignan, pour douze jours de stage. Concert de klaxons, sourires et embrassades en boucle pour le récent demi-finaliste du Masters de Shanghaï.
"Cela fait plaisir de les revoir. Toute l'année, nous sommes disséminés aux quatre coins du monde dans des différents tournois. Nous avons finalement assez peu l'occasion de nous croiser, si ce n'est quelques jours ça et là dans les structures fédérales de Roland-Garros", avance celui qui retrouve ce département qu'il "apprécie beaucoup, non seulement parce que nous y avions déjà préparé à Saint-Cyprien la saison 2008, mais aussi parce que j'ai quelques souvenirs de vacances en famille de ce côté-ci de la Méditerranée", poursuit ce Niçois pur jus.
Nuit à Mariailles
A peine le temps d'enfiler sa longue parka moltonée sombre et voilà la joyeuse troupe embarquée dans deux mini-bus. Cap vers Vernet-les-Bains où une randonnée sportive sur les contreforts d'un Canigou emmitouflé par la brume est programmée quelques heures plus tard. S'ensuivra une nuit au refuge de Mariailles (1.718m) et un retour dans la plaine ce soir. "J'aime bien bosser le physique. Ce n'est pas un pan de ma préparation qui me rebute". C'est ici que le bourreau de Federer (deux fois), Nadal ou Djokovic ces derniers mois, pose les premières pierres d'une nouvelle saison dont on attend forcément beaucoup.
"C'est sûr que l'on va surveiller de plus près mes performances. Mais je ne me mets pas la pression. Seul m'importe l'avis des gens qui viennent me voir jouer. Ceux qui paient leur place pour assister à un spectacle. Eux, je n'ai pas le droit de les décevoir", clame-t-il.
Avec cette progression météorite (de la 29 e à la 7 e place mondiale en douze mois), se sent-il investi d'une nouvelle mission ? "Oui quelque part. Je peux être un exemple pour les jeunes du Team France comme l'on été pour moi des Escudé ou Mathieu, lorsque j'ai participé à mes premiers rassemblements à l'âge de 18 ans. C'est pour cela que durant ces prochains jours, je me dois d'être irréprochable. Ne pas balancer un cross, ne pas être à la traîne au cours de l'épreuve de VTT à Sorède... En cela, oui je n'ai pas le droit de me cacher tout en m'évertuant à développer un bon état d'esprit dans le groupe", poursuit ce jeune homme de 23 ans à la gueule d'ange, animé d'une grande maturité. "Cette saison, je vais m'efforcer de gagner en régularité. Je suis aujourd'hui dans le Top 10. Autant dire que je souhaite y demeurer, même si ce ne sera pas facile. Pour cela, il me faut être performant dans les Grands Chelem et les Masters Series, des tournois à fort capital points", conclut-il dans un dernier sourire.
Arnaud Hingray
http://www.lindependant.com/articles/2008/12/03/20081203-Sports-Le-Roussillon-porte-bonheur-de-Simon.php5

Truc
12-03-2008, 07:52 AM
He gets a warm welcome from the other guys who arrived one day before, Chardy, Serra, Montcourt, Recouderc... (Jo isn't there yet, he will arrive tomorrow according to another article). Gilles: "It's nice to see them again. We are scattered to the four corners of the world playing tournaments all year long. We don't have many occasions to see each other, just a few days from time to time when we are training at Roland-Garros".
He says he likes the area because he has good memories from the training camp in Saint-Cyprien last year and also because he's from the South of France and he went sometimes there on holiday with his family (it's an article in the local newspaper).
They leave immediately for a hike on the Canigou and will spend the night in a refuge. "I like working on my condition. I'm not repelled by that part of the preparation."
The expectations will be higher next year: "People will now pay more attention to my results for sure. But I don't put myself under pressure. The only important thing for me are the people who come to see me play. The ones who pay and buy a ticket to attend a performance. I'm not allowed to disappoint them."
Does he have a new mission? "Somehow, yes. I can be a model for the young guys of the Team France, like Escudé or Mathieu were for me the first times I took part to these training camps by the age of 18. That's why I'll have to be beyond reproach in the next few days. I can't afford to skip a cross-country race, to lag behind during the moutain-biking in Sorède.... So yes, I can't go in hiding and I'll do my utmost to keep a good spirit in the group."
The goals for next year: "I'll try to gain consistency. I'm in the top 10 now. Needless to say I'd like to stay there, even though it won't be easy. I'll need to do well in the Slams and the Masters Series, the events which bring a lot of points".

littlesai
12-03-2008, 04:03 PM
which hotel did he stay in Mauritius?

is he going to spend Christmas in Nice or Neuchatel?

anaquot
12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
thanks for new news Fran (right, oh my I've got anxiety about getting all the real names/forum names mixed up :unsure: )

Truc
12-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Some news from Saint-Cyprien:Le cauchemar de Gilles Simon
Vingt kilomètres de souffrance et quelques dizaines de minutes à serrer les dents. Tel a été le menu concocté par Paul Quétin, le préparateur physique du Team France, tôt hier matin pour une douzaine de joueurs, alors que le soleil arrosait d'une lumière orangée les premiers contreforts des Albères. Mais de ce panorama sublimé par l'automne, le n°7 mondial n'en avait cure. Lui qui n'était pas remonté sur un vélo depuis un an et une ascension déjà mémorable jusqu'au pic du Néoulous en décembre 2007, a renoué hier avec le pédalage en danseuse jusqu'au col de l'Ouillat (936 m). Casque rouge sur le chef, le Niçois avouait même une fois la ligne d'arrivée franchie "qu'il n'était pas encore prêt pour le Tour de France" et qu'il avait vécu "un vrai cauchemar". Le temps d'avaler un bon plat de pâtes et toute la troupe (Recouderc, Montcourt, Serra...) retrouvait la plaine pour une séance réparatrice en piscine à St-Cyprien. Aujourd'hui, les joueurs auquel se joindra Jo-Wilfried Tsonga retrouvent les raquettes aux Capellans pour six jours d'entraînement.
A. H.
http://www.lindependant.com/articles/2008/12/06/20081206-Sports-Le-cauchemar-de-Gilles-Simon-Vi.php5

Yesterday was cycling day, 20 km in the mountains, but he didn't enjoy the superb view a lot. He hadn't ridden a bike for one year and had a hard time. At the finish, he just said he isn't ready for the Tour de France yet and it was "a real nightmare". Then some pasta and everybody (Recouderc, Montcourt, Serra...) went back to the thalasso center to recover.
They will resume the tennis training today. Jo apparently isn't there yet.

It also says there will be a video on Monday on the website of the local newspaper, I'm not sure I want to see this!

but-it's-ok
12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Gilles hasn't been on a bike for a year:eek: In a way its comforting to know that he does have weaknesses:p The video will be interesting:lol: He probably didn't enjoy the view cos he didn't notice it,concentrating so hard on staying on the bike:lol: Good sense of humour he has:lol:

Thanks Fran for the report.

Gilles might enjoy today a bit more if they're just tennis training today;)

Truc
12-06-2008, 09:12 AM
He plays a lot of tennis, but for the rest he says himself he's a bit of a lazybone. I know Marisa said last time the Chinese media were reporting he was spending much more time in the gym than the other players, but I was surprised because he and his physical trainer Paul Quétin both say in interviews he doesn't want to work on his condition during the tournaments. Gilles also meant in the video interview after Bercy he just goes jogging a couple of times a year during the off season.

But his former coach Potier probably used to stress that too much in the past, he was really poking fun at him, he had also hung a poster at the entrance of Roland-Garros saying "Gilles, the gym is that way ->", etc. So Gilles had a terrible reputation in that regard, that's why he often stresses now he does train hard! And I don't doubt he does to have the results he has, but I don't think he is a hardworker à la Robredo & Co.

rtgy
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
He plays a lot of tennis, but for the rest he says himself he's a bit of a lazybone. I know Marisa said last time the Chinese media were reporting he was spending much more time in the gym than the other players, but I was surprised because he and his physical trainer Paul Quétin both say in interviews he doesn't want to work on his condition during the tournaments. Gilles also meant in the video interview after Bercy he just goes jogging a couple of times a year during the off season.

But his former coach Potier probably used to stress that too much in the past, he was really poking fun at him, he had also hung a poster at the entrance of Roland-Garros saying "Gilles, the gym is that way ->", etc. So Gilles had a terrible reputation in that regard, that's why he often stresses now he does train hard! And I don't doubt he does to have the results he has, but I don't think he is a hardworker à la Robredo & Co.

:haha:

Thanx for those reports Fran!!!:worship:
I can't wait to see this video...........

Truc
12-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I saw he's announced on the TV show "Le Grand Journal" on the 15th of December (next Monday), but it might change until then.

Truc
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM
There are tons of stuff about the guys in Saint-Cyprien because it was media day yesterday:
http://www.eurosport.fr/le-collectif-fait-la-force_sto1778407/story.shtml (with some little pics)
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/65995/simon-briller-en-grand-chelem/
http://www.rtl.fr/fiche/2718480/tennis-reprise-de-saison-pour-les-francais.html (audio interview)
etc.

Nothing really new, he likes the life and training as a group, with different generations, he likes there are young players together with them too. Apparently, he confirmed he will play the Masters France. And always the same questions about the competition with the other Frenchies and with Jo in particular - he's said so many times already it's not a problem for them, on the contrary!

Truc
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
There are a few articles about Gilles in the last issue of Grand Chelem.
It's about "The Fantastic Four". Gilles is The Thing, Richard is the Invisible Man, Jo The Human Torch and Gaël Mr. Fantastic.
It's free, you can download it here:
http://v2.welovetennis.fr/medias/magazines/mag10.BSDEF.pdf

I haven't read it yet, I don't know if there's anything interesting.

turtle-rn
12-10-2008, 06:51 PM
There are a few articles about Gilles in the last issue of Grand Chelem.
It's about "The Fantastic Four". Gilles is The Thing, Richard is the Invisible Man, Jo The Human Torch and Gaël Mr. Fantastic.
It's free, you can download it here:
http://v2.welovetennis.fr/medias/magazines/mag10.BSDEF.pdf

I haven't read it yet, I don't know if there's anything interesting.
Gilles as the Thing is just :ignore:

I just read Moretton's interview (kind of like the guy) and glanced throught the rest, bah nothing new beside the Gilles ad you've already posted. (it's just as poorly written as per usual from those guys. :tape: )

reggie1
12-10-2008, 08:14 PM

A guy after my own heart, I knew there was a reason why I liked him :devil:

soulage
12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I saw he's announced on the TV show "Le Grand Journal" on the 15th of December (next Monday), but it might change until then.
And I just heard that he supposed to be in Moscato Show on RMC the same monday. Mahut & Benneteau was invited today.

Truc
12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks! So that means he won't be on Canal, the Moscato show is live too, I guess? I've never heard that programme.

(I see they have podcasts on the website, was the one with Nico&Bennet interesting?)

soulage
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I just heard the end so I don't know what they said but in this show they speak Cash.

Gilles peut faire RMC a 18h et partir pour Canal+ pour être sur le plateau à 20H en deuxième partie. Lundi sera une journée media je pense.

Truc
12-12-2008, 08:00 AM
I listened to the show with Nico&Bennet yesterday evening to know what to expect (nothing wild). They talk about Malisse's statement at a time and the journalist asks Bennet to comment on it (I was like "Not Benneteau! Ask Nico!")
But Julien's reaction is OK, he means that the "awful" comment is wrong. That said, he agrees with the last part and with Seb last time (that seeing Gilles in the top 10 is a big motivation for everybody else). But that's fine, Gilles himself says it. Nico doesn't comment, I think.
There are a few jokes about Gilles' game (like he's a nice guy, but they shouldn't schedule his matches to start at 11pm because people wake up in the middle of the nightly replay of "The Wild Wild West" then, etc. :lol: ).

Truc
12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Here's the draw of the Masters France (it starts on Thursday):
Red group : 1. Gilles Simon, 2. Julien Benneteau, 3. Marc Gicquel, 4. Nicolas Mahut
Blue group : 1. Paul Henri Mathieu, 2. Michael Llodra, 3. Arnaud Clément, 4. Adrian Mannarino

Group matches during the first 3 days and then the final + "petite finale" (2nd of each group) on Sunday. So he's sure to play at least 3 matches.

rtgy
12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Here's the draw of the Masters France (it starts on Thursday):
Red group : 1. Gilles Simon, 2. Julien Benneteau, 3. Marc Gicquel, 4. Nicolas Mahut
Blue group : 1. Paul Henri Mathieu, 2. Michael Llodra, 3. Arnaud Clément, 4. Adrian Mannarino

Group matches during the first 3 days and then the final + "petite finale" (2nd of each group) on Sunday. So he's sure to play at least 3 matches.

thanx Fran,

and there is the program (on french of course):
http://www.mastersfrance.com/fil-infos.html

15/12/2008 | 17:04:32
Programme de la semaine

Le tirage au sort du tournoi ayant été effectué, on connaît désormais le programme des matchs de poule, qui se dérouleront de jeudi à samedi.

Programme des matchs:

JEUDI 18 DECEMBRE (Thursday)
Groupe Rouge : Gilles Simon / Marc Gicquel
Julien Benneteau / Nicolas Mahut
Groupe Bleu : Paul-Henri Mathieu / Arnaud Clément
Michael Llodra / Adrian Mannarino

VENDREDI 19 DECEMBRE (Friday)
Groupe Rouge : Gilles Simon / Nicolas Mahut
Julien Benneteau / Marc Gicquel
Groupe Bleu : Paul-Henri Mathieu / Adrian Mannarino
Michael Llodra / Arnaud Clément

SAMEDI 20 DECEMBRE (Saturday)
Groupe Rouge : Gilles Simon / Julien Benneteau
Marc Gicquel / Nicolas Mahut
Groupe Bleu : Paul-Henri Mathieu / Michael Llodra
Arnaud Clément / Adrian Mannarino

A l'issue des matchs de poules, les deux premiers de chaque groupe s'affronteront ce dimanche en finale. Les deux deuxièmes seront opposés lors de la petite finale

ALLEZ GILLOU ! ! ! :rocker2::rocker2::rocker2:

Thanos
12-15-2008, 06:27 PM
llorda could win that group :rocker2:

rtgy
12-15-2008, 07:07 PM
llorda could win that group :rocker2:

Ah......wacked82 welcome around :hug:
how was the Dexter finale???

well everything is possible, although PHM is the group leader.............(at least for now :p)

Truc
12-18-2008, 07:32 AM
He'll play his first match against Gicquel tonight at 7pm. It's on Sport+ in France.
(There was another change in his group, Ouanna plays instead of Mahut).

An interview in Le Parisien today:« Dommage que les meilleurs ne soient pas tous là »
EN L’ABSENCE de Tsonga, Monfils et Gasquet, Gilles Simon, no 7 mondial, est la principale tête d’affiche du premier Masters France, qu’il commence aujourd’hui, à Toulouse, face à Marc Gicquel. De quoi sauver du désastre complet l’épreuve imaginée par Christian Bîmes, futur ex-président de la FFT, censée réunir les meilleurs Tricolores à un moment peu propice de la saison en offrant 80 000 € au vainqueur.

- Avez-vous hésité à vous rendre à Toulouse ?
- Gilles Simon. On sait que le public ne s’intéresse pas aux matchs d’hiver par équipes (NDLR : les Interclubs) où il y a pourtant de belles rencontres. En regroupant les meilleurs Français, les organisateurs voulaient recréer l’ambiance du National (NDLR : ancien Championnat de France individuel). On s’était engagés à y aller. Alors, à partir du moment où je suis disponible, la question ne se pose même pas. Evidemment, c’est dommage que les meilleurs ne soient pas tous là.

- Cela n’empiète-t-il pas sur votre préparation après une courte intersaison ?
- Je viens de faire quinze jours de travail foncier et jouer des matchs ne m’empêche pas de travailler. Faire un match par jour de deux sets, je devrais pouvoir encaisser ! De toute façon, sans ce Masters, j’aurais sûrement fait deux heures d’entraînement à Roland-Garros le matin et des points l’après-midi contre Jo (NDLR : Tsonga). Et on se serait « tiré la bourre » pour gagner…

- Quelle est l’utilité de ce genre d’exhibition ?
- Prendre des repères et tenter des choses qu’on n’oserait pas dans un autre tournoi. En 2009, je sais que je dois orienter mon jeu vers l’avant car il est important que j’arrive désormais à gagner en deux sets secs contre des joueurs à ma portée. Pour ça, il faut savoir s’imposer du début à la fin d’un match. C’est le genre d’objectif plus facile à mettre en place à Toulouse. Je vais forcer le trait quand ce sera judicieux…mais je ne ferai pas service-volée sur chaque point ! Ça ne sert à rien de jouer à l’envers. Did he hesitate to got there?
- People don't follow the other event during the off-season (the Interclubs, a team event) although there are good matches there too [I do follow it!] So the idea was to have another event and they had committed to play. It's only natural to play then since he's available. Of course, it's too bad not all the best players will be there.

Won't it be detrimental to his preparation since he has such a short off-season?
- He had two weeks of condition training and playing matches won't prevent him from working on his game. He should be able to play a 2 sets match every day! If he hadn't played in Toulouse, he would have practiced 2 hours every morning in RG and in the afternoon they would have played mini-matches with Jo anyway and they do try to win the points then.

What's the point of this kind of exhibition?
- The idea is to have points of reference and try out things he couldn't try in other tournaments. He knows he'll have to be more aggressive in 2009 because it's important to start winning in straight sets against players he's supposed to beat. He needs to do it right from the beginning of the match. This kind of things are easier to put into practice in Toulouse. He will "exaggerate" it when he has an opportunity... but he won't play S&V on every point either! There is no point in turning his game upside down.

Scotso
12-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Good luck, Gilles!

Truc
12-18-2008, 07:57 PM
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?ID=4467
6-4 6-3 in 1:12, it says the start was a bit rough with 3 DF of Gilles in his first service game, but the match was quite spectacular then, he came back from 2-4 down and won 7 games in a row, playing some nice volleys in the process and as solid as usual from the baseline. He saved the 2 BP in the last service game with 2 nice winners and closed it out with another service winner.

And the "match suspended" on the scoreboard was actually just a toilet break taken by Gicquel after having lost 7 games in a row!

Truc
12-18-2008, 08:50 PM
His audio interview:
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?id=4443
He means he played a very good match. As for the 3 DF at the beginning, the service is one of the things he's working on atm, so he knows he will make some DF, he has to accept it. Same for the netgame.
He had played only 2 sets in practice before the match, so he did "very, very well" under those conditions.
The journalist notices he played especially some "sneak approaches" today. He means it's indeed the kind of things he's trying to add to his game to have more weapons in the future. He probably played more of these shots today than he will in real matches because he needs to get used to them.
People say he has nothing to win playing in Toulouse, but that's not how he sees it. He's at a point of his preparation where he needs to start playing points anyway. "As for the result, we'll see".
The date of the Masters France is fine, the only problem is that they both played the Masters Cup with Jo. But he supports the idea of the event, they both had committed to it at the beginning of the year already, that's why Jo came extra for the clinic with the kids yesterday.

Truc
12-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Le Niçois n'a repris la raquette qu'il y a 10 jours. Du coup, pour son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne que « Gilles n'est pas encore prêt ». « On est vraiment en cours de préparation. Il fait actuellement des modifications sur son service, pour obtenir plus de précisions et de puissance. » Autre travail en cours : un jeu davantage tourner vers l'offensive pour ce contreur hors pair. « Ces automatismes sont à mettre en place en compétition. C'est l'occasion. » Objectif 2009 : « Les Grands Chelem, les Masters séries et le classement ATP » résume Thierry Tulasne. « Le but est qu'il se maintienne dans les 10 premiers. Après, il ne se fixe pas de limites car il peut rivaliser avec les meilleurs ».
http://www.sudouest.com/accueil/sports/autres-sports/article/451400/mil/3938434.html?L=0%3D91354a6036%3Da997d70970&cHash=eaa36739ed

He picked up the racquet again only 10 days ago and Tulasne clearly says that "he isn't ready". They're making some changes to his serve in particular, he's really just in the middle of his preparation.

He plays against Ouanna at 7pm again today.

tedlesurfeur
12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Le Niçois n'a repris la raquette qu'il y a 10 jours. Du coup, pour son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne que « Gilles n'est pas encore prêt ». « On est vraiment en cours de préparation. Il fait actuellement des modifications sur son service, pour obtenir plus de précisions et de puissance. » Autre travail en cours : un jeu davantage tourner vers l'offensive pour ce contreur hors pair. « Ces automatismes sont à mettre en place en compétition. C'est l'occasion. » Objectif 2009 : « Les Grands Chelem, les Masters séries et le classement ATP » résume Thierry Tulasne. « Le but est qu'il se maintienne dans les 10 premiers. Après, il ne se fixe pas de limites car il peut rivaliser avec les meilleurs ».
http://www.sudouest.com/accueil/sports/autres-sports/article/451400/mil/3938434.html?L=0%3D91354a6036%3Da997d70970&cHash=eaa36739ed

He picked up the racquet again only 10 days ago and Tulasne clearly says that "he isn't ready". They're making some changes to his serve in particular, he's really just in the middle of his preparation.

He plays against Ouanna at 7pm again today.

After my tennis training tonight, I was able to watch Gilles's match on Sport+ (they have the channel in my club's lobby). I only saw the second set though.
Gilles didn't play as good as he would against top players, and yet he would still be very serene, except when he was serving for the match, quite typical though.. leading 5-3, letting Ouanna leveling at 5-5 all. Plus Ouanna had a wonderful opportunity to lead 6-5, he just had to push a ball, an yet he missed it.. Gilles was lucky on that one.

I heard Gilles speak on 'Agathe's mike' (I like this Agathe, she's a good interviewer for Sport+, have you heard her ?? Fran, Natsu, Soulage?).
He said that it was not an easy match (I'm sure he meant "not as easy as I expected"). He talked about his double fault at 5-4 (was it 5-4, not sure now). He said a photographer took a picture of him at that very moment, and it really disturbed him. He was angry and had to cope with a whole lot of bad emotions. However, he tried to think positive. He said that it was good that he had to face this kind of incident on court, before 2009.. He said all the matches are the same : you have to win them no matter what.

Then Agathe talked about the semis against Benneteau and Gilles didn't look so thrilled. He said that he expeced a tough match, but that it was handable (à sa portée, je ne sais pas comment le traduire). I'm sure there will be a lot going on on the court tomorrow.

Truc
12-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks! The summary on the FFT website also mentions he was pissed. They say it was the same in the first set, he was looking in control, got nervous when serving for the set and it sounds like he was quite lucky to take the first set then (Josse had a mini-break and then a SP in the TB).

I hate he has to play Bennet when he's obviously not ready yet.

Truc
12-19-2008, 09:20 PM
His audio interview:
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?ID=4473

He means he was playing well, but lost his concentration in both sets when serving for the set.
He was also nicely surprised by Josse, he knows Josse can play very well since they've been training together for years and Josse always gives him a hard time in training, but he usually has trouble showing it in matches then, unlike today.

Coming to Toulouse he gives the others four chances to "shoot him down". But that's not how he takes it. He's confident in his tennis.
He played a lot of winners today, wasn't very good at the net, but served well, 15 aces is unusual for him.
He was upset at the end of the first set and that was his biggest problem today, he wasn't able to get over it.

Apparently he was hitting his FH well because he's asked about it and explains he has always had a very fast FH, but he isn't always able to show it in big matches, like at the end of the year, when he's too tense. But he tries to go for his shots on the FH wing in Toulouse because he loves that feeling: "when I hit one, I'm in a good mood for the next 2 games".

turtle-rn
12-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I hate he has to play Bennet when he's obviously not ready yet.
Look at the bright side Fran. If Bennet is to win today, his victory won't be on any official record; imagine how frustrating that will be. :D

gambit84
12-20-2008, 10:16 AM
why this kind of exhibitions during the training season? it's aerobic gym and tennis training only...why more?

please Gillu...

Truc
12-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh please Rafa... Have you followed the whole Masters France story?

I don't like this event either, and I don't like he's playing it, but I can see why he didn't want to pull out like everybody else, especially after having committed to it at the beginning of the year.
Kudos to him for taking the risk to lose to Bennet, PHM & Co. playing this event even though he obviously isn't ready at all. I don't think he will enjoy it either.

Truc
12-20-2008, 11:16 AM
Jérémy Chardy said again yesterday in the local newspaper that he wants to play more doubles next year, with Gilles in particular ("Je vais faire plus de doubles, souvent associé à Simon"). :drool:

gambit84
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh please Rafa... Have you followed the whole Masters France story?

I don't like this event either, and I don't like he's playing it, but I can see why he didn't want to pull out like everybody else, especially after having committed to it at the beginning of the year.
Kudos to him for taking the risk to lose to Bennet, PHM & Co. playing this event even though he obviously isn't ready at all. I don't think he will enjoy it either.

it's just a don't like this kind exhibition, not a that moment of the year...

turtle-rn
12-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Take this as part of his training. He made a good point when saying this kind of exhibition provides him opportunities to experiment new things he would hardly try in real matches. Besides, as someone who didn't seem to particularly enjoy playing against other Frenchmen, this is also a good opportunity to work "psychologically" on that aspect of the competition.

rtgy
12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Look at the bright side Fran. If Bennet is to win today, his victory won't be on any official record; imagine how frustrating that will be. :D

:lol:

ha ha....well said !!!!

:yeah:

anaquot
12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
good points Nat
Yavor, the new avi, very festive :lol: makes me think of a migraine advert :lol: ;)

rtgy
12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
good points Nat
Yavor, the new avi, very festive :lol: makes me think of a migraine advert :lol: ;)

Thanx ;)

Truc
12-20-2008, 07:49 PM
it's just a don't like this kind exhibition, not a that moment of the year...I don't like this event at all either, I just meant I don't feel like criticizing him for his decision because I think it's a matter of loyalty for him.
He sounds very aware of the drawbacks of the situation. But he said he would play and now he's trying to make the best out of it imo.

Truc
12-20-2008, 07:50 PM
His audio interview, he sounds really lethargic!
He keeps saying it was tough today to find the right motivation, to play well, to move on the court. He clearly didn't play as well as in his 2 other matches, he felt a bit tired after yesterday's match because he had also trained a lot before the match.
There was no intensity, even at 5-1 in the first set he wasn't playing well at all and it was just Bennet giving him too many points. That's why he wasn't careful enough in the 2nd set, it was really tough to get into the match today.
But he now knows how to win these matches when he isn't playing well, it's been one of his main improvements last year. Today was another example.

Must have been an ugly match! :lol:

rtgy
12-20-2008, 07:59 PM
His audio interview, he sounds really lethargic!
He keeps saying it was tough today to find the right motivation, to play well, to move on the court. He clearly didn't play as well as in his 2 other matches, he felt a bit tired after yesterday's match because he had also trained a lot before the match.
There was no intensity, even at 5-1 in the first set he wasn't playing well at all and it was just Bennet giving him too many points. That's why he wasn't careful enough in the 2nd set, it was really tough to get into the match today.
But he now knows how to win these matches when he isn't playing well, it's been one of his main improvements last year. Today was another example.

Must have been an ugly match! :lol:

:speakles:

someone to shoot me.....................................:timebomb:

Truc
12-20-2008, 08:42 PM
He plays Mika in the final tomorrow after Bennet-Paulo (start at 3pm).

He has never won a set against Mika.

rtgy
12-20-2008, 08:54 PM

so now is the time for Gillou to simply... "kick his ass on the final" !!! :lol:
:smash:

ALLEZ GILLOU ! ! ! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Elena.
12-20-2008, 09:24 PM

I would like to see it !No streamings ? :(

Truc
12-21-2008, 08:26 AM
It's still on the same channel (Sport+), so most probably not.
His match won't start until 5 pm.

Truc
12-21-2008, 08:32 AM
Cornetto says in L'Equipe that Gilles is "really strange". :lol: But she can't wait for the Hopman Cup.
« Pour l’ambiance, c’est carrément super de jouer avec Gilles. Il chambre pas mal. Il va bien me faire ch… Mais ce n’est pas grave, on va essayer de se supporter. (Rires.) On s’aime bien, mais il a vraiment un caractère hyper bizarre et drôle. Je pense qu’on va bien s’éclater. »
“For the ambiance, it’s really great to play with Gilles. He teases quite a lot. He will certainly give me a hard time. But never mind, we will try to put with each other (she laughs). We like each other, but he really has a very strange, funny character. I think we’re going to have fun.”

Mika said that too when he was asked about Gilles like the entire French tennis after the Seb and Bennet comments - he said Gilles is "particulier" (a bit odd) and has a "special sense of humour", but he has no problem with him. He must really be a bit disconcerting sometimes. :p

rtgy
12-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Cornetto says in L'Equipe that Gilles is "really strange". :lol: But she can't wait for the Hopman Cup.
« Pour l’ambiance, c’est carrément super de jouer avec Gilles. Il chambre pas mal. Il va bien me faire ch… Mais ce n’est pas grave, on va essayer de se supporter. (Rires.) On s’aime bien, mais il a vraiment un caractère hyper bizarre et drôle. Je pense qu’on va bien s’éclater. »
“For the ambiance, it’s really great to play with Gilles. He teases quite a lot. He will certainly give me a hard time. But never mind, we will try to put with each other (she laughs). We like each other, but he really has a very strange, funny character. I think we’re going to have fun.”

Mika said that too when he was asked about Gilles like the entire French tennis after the Seb and Bennet comments - he said Gilles is "particulier" (a bit odd) and has a "special sense of humour", but he has no problem with him. He must really be a bit disconcerting sometimes. :p

:p

gambit84
12-21-2008, 09:30 AM
strange Gillu :rolls:

Truc
12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
The audio interviews:
http://www.fft.fr/action/masters-france/?ID=4483

Mika says it's just a little muscular problem. Not as bad as the injury he had at the end of the year (a problem with the nerve). The balls were too heavy and he really was in pain. He could only serve at 50-60% of his abilities in the 2nd set. But since he was playing very well otherwise, he was still able to break Gilles.
He says it was a nice event, everybody played the game and gave their best effort in his opinion.

Gilles says his attitude was really poor today. He played 2 good first matches, yesterday was not a good match, but at least he was ready to fight, while his attitude on the court today sucked, he was struggling to find his motivation. But since he hates to lose, he can always rely on a "sudden burst of pride" in the last moment.
He liked the event, he thinks the number of matches is perfect for a preparation tournament.

Truc
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Another interview:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20081221_212848_le-sursaut-d-orgueil-de-simon.html

The beginning is like the audio interview.
He could have done much better today, it's his fault, he lost his focus for no reason when he was up 5-1.

He isn't worried about his condition for next year, he knows he has a great stamina. He is more worried about the fact that he couldn't practice the way he wanted. He really needs training slots of 2-3 weeks. He wishes he could have spent 3 weeks working on his netgame every day. That's more the problem for him than the condition training. For the rest he feels ready.

He can't improve much in his defensive game, so he has to improve in the other departments. His serve was not so good against Marco, good against Ouanna and Bennet, but really bad today, he now is able to hit more than 10 aces in a match, but he still is very inconsistent.

The few wins at the Masters France are good for his confidence, though, since he beat 3 players ranked in the top 50 and Josse who is better than his ranking. Always a good thing to be able to win against these players without playing well. He lost his focus against Bennet and Mika, but he felt more solid than them tenniswise, so it's encouraging.

turtle-rn
12-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Gilles says his attitude was really poor today.
This is becoming a habit of late. :(

Truc
12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
He sure doesn't make a very fresh impression mentally for a guy who is returning from his winter break!

I do believe him when he says he has recovered better than most people think and he feels physically fit for the next season already. I don't think he needs long periods of progressive condition training like Richard or Jo, for example, who get injured more often, Jo also gains weight as soon as he stops playing and needs to get back in shape little by little then - Gilles doesn't have this problem and is used to play a lot, he always does during the off season when he isn't playing in Shanghai (the Interclubs), etc.
So I believe him when he says the shorter condition training shouldn't be an issue for him.

But he was supposed to do a lot of muscle building exercises for his upper body to have more strength for his serve, when did he find the time to do that? They always complain they can't do it when he's playing tournaments because it would be too hard on his body (Mika says he was not the only one to feel pain in the arm and Gilles also was complaining about it after a few matches in Toulouse, so he certainly has to cut down on the "body building" part when he plays these exhibition events).

It really would have been better for him to skip both the Masters France and the Hopman Cup imo to have more time to work on his serve and his volley and to relax mentally.

I think he also has too much scruples about withdrawing from French events, he plays these events even when he's in no shape to play them. He was really sick in Marseille this year, it was obvious he had a fever. Monte-Carlo was plain embarrassing, everybody else would have withdrawn. In Metz he wasn't ready yet, it was too early after the Bucharest title. In Lyon he was exhausted, I know it was for the Race too, but he also said he wasn't injured and hence had no reason to pull out. And Toulouse really came too early for him after Shanghai, he admits he would need 3 weeks of training. I don't think it was just for the money if he played there.

Grenouille
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
The good thing is that he was really good on important points. He saved very well some breakpoints throughout the match and in the tiebreaker, he saved the matchpoint being very agressive and won the following point serving and going to the net. I liked this attitude a lot.

turtle-rn
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Yep, good thing he kept his fighting spirit but I was talking more about the emotional side of his attitude. I didn't watch any of his matches in Toulouse but from the comments I have been reading on the livescore board, he looked quite often irritated and frustrated which obviously didn't help his game. Watching him play in Madrid, I was really impressed by the way he handled mental tension and pressure, being relaxed and smiling while his focus was almost unshakable. It seemed he definitely reached a new step in this aspect of the game, so it was kind of a setback to see him throwing tantrums (and racquets) in Bercy or Shanghai, losing concentration (and eventually losing matches). Things didn't seem to have improved in Toulouse although he did win his matches.

@Fran : He used to say that playing matches was his prefered way of training although he knew that it would not be enough, that he had to consider a more professional attitude about training, physical fitness and all to become a better player; maybe he is trying to find some sort of a balance that would work for him ? Mixing what he likes and what he doesn't like to do?
I'm no expert on this field but as for the workouts bit, it can't be a matter of a few weeks, it has to be a regular exercise on a long-term basis to show some effectiveness. (Or so I am told. :p )

lisaplenske
12-22-2008, 05:11 PM

cant wait for the hopman cup too:lol: I think they can win it all cause they make a great team.
Not easy but hope for them to have some fun there.
Alize knows gilles because of their sponsor right?
Fran do you know which channel will broadcast the HC?

:wavey:

Truc
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
cant wait for the hopman cup too:lol: I think they can win it all cause they make a great team.
Not easy but hope for them to have some fun there.
Alize knows gilles because of their sponsor right?
Fran do you know which channel will broadcast the HC?

:wavey:Maybe it's an idea of their sponsor indeed, but I remember Alizé said in her "journal" of the Olympic Games for Tennis Magazine that she didn't know Gilles before and was glad to get to know him better there since they were supposed to play the Hopman Cup together.

I have no idea for the TV coverage, sorry.

MsTree
12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
It's on Aussie ABC and Fox Sports apparently. There's bound to be streaming! :)

but-it's-ok
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Sky Sports has been showing it in recent years,but they tend not to show it from the very beginning of the competition, and its never been live on there. They show it in the evenings, it has been a 3 hour slot usually 2 or 3 days into the tournament.

I love the Hopman Cup, its a brilliant idea:hearts: Gilles and Alize should have a lot of fun off the court too;) I know Perth,its a beautiful city:hearts:

tedlesurfeur
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
News. (l'Equipe mainly)

Nicolas Mahut is injured (right shoulder injury) and doesn't know when he will come back on courts. Grosjean is injured. Llodra is injured. Clement isn't injured anymore, until the next injury, ha. Tsonga.. which half of 2009 will he pick ?? ha ha. The French team is quite funny. Gillou is the only one to be healthy, ha ha.

Mary Pierce won't retire unless she feels she has to. She doesn't "feel it" in her heart. In the meantime, she's devoting her time to prayers and god. (« Ma vie, c'est l'Eglise »). She suffers a whole lot when she runs. She can only play for a tiny amount of time (not more than 30 minutes)
I think this is it.

gambit84
12-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I really can't understand Mary Pierce. She had a great career but is so clear her time is gone, but if you have again so many energies to give why not focus them in something different?
why for a champion is so hard to say stop?
I have not a great tennis memory because I'm quite young but one of the few who said stop when she was on top and not totally down was Steffie, after a major won and a final reached.
But in the reality so many great players have problems to retire..is only for their love for money?I don't think because if you don't win you don't get (and sponsor is a parallel speech)...probably is just for their needing emotion that only court can give and if you're not one of them you can only imagine but not at all

Grenouille
12-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I think it is hard for injured top players to say stop: Seles, Pierce, Capriati... It's not like if they had decided to stop by themselves because they are fed up with tennis, on the contrary, their bodies said stop, it's hard to accept.

gambit84
12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it is hard for injured top players to say stop: Seles, Pierce, Capriati... It's not like if they had decided to stop by themselves because they are fed up with tennis, on the contrary, their bodies said stop, it's hard to accept.

good point, you're right...but M.Pierce when became injuried was more then 30 yo, already quite old to be MODERN tennis player

btw hope for her serenity and satisfied life as well

but-it's-ok
01-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Here's Gilles' very brief thoughts on the Hopman Cup, in Perths local newspaper;) And his hopes for 2009.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=57&ContentID=115688

turtle-rn
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Simon admitted both himself and Cornet would be relying on wins in their singles matches in order to reach the final. “We are not counting on the doubles” he said with a laugh.

Wise guys! :lol:

Thanks Di for the article. :]

turtle-rn
01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this will be Gilles' first ever mixed double match. Knowing he's not that good in men doubles (polite understatement), I kind of expect some distaster. :lol: It would be fun though to see how women players will deal with his serve, especially his second serve. I guess most of them already faced stronger serves on their tour :tape: Hope his good humor will show again. ^^

Time to look for a streaming.. :unsure:

lisaplenske
01-02-2009, 01:19 PM
here a stream to wtch hopman up and others aussie tournaments:)

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=tennis

I watched the Abu Dhabi exibition federer/murray today, Ithink it would also be working for hopman cup:wavey:

MsTree
01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Time to look for a streaming.. :unsure:
So far I've only found streaming from Monday :eek:
Am I right in thinking Gillou's match starts 12 hours from now? :confused:
Better check seeing as I'm notoriously bad at time differences :p

lisaplenske
01-02-2009, 01:23 PM
yes france play tomorrow, the 3rd of january but it is against taiwan, so not the most dificult team in that hopman cup
I hope they will be ready,especially alize cornet who arrived today...:o

MsTree
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
http://livetv.ru/en/eventinfo/17940/
This stream advertises a 01.30 start on the 3rd Jan so fingers crossed :)

rtgy
01-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's Gilles' very brief thoughts on the Hopman Cup, in Perths local newspaper;) And his hopes for 2009.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=57&ContentID=115688

“We are not counting on the doubles,” he said with a laugh.

The one and only...................... Gilles!!! :worship:

rtgy
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
http://livetv.ru/en/eventinfo/17940/
This stream advertises a 01.30 start on the 3rd Jan so fingers crossed :)

:yeah:

Happy new year Les :smooch:

MsTree
01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Happy New Year Yavor! :kiss:

I was being stupid with myp2p and they do have streams for Sat and Sun matches :smash:
http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=27795&part=sports

oops! ;)

Truc
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Gilles played mixed doubles with Camille Pin in Roland-Garros, they even aced their way into the 2nd round!

The title they picked for the article ("Simon to hunt down big three") made me cringe, he doesn't say that, he clearly states in the article they're out of reach for him as long as he doesn't do better in Slams and it's not his goal for now. He said the same thing about 10 times in French lately, so I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

Another article from the tournament website, maybe it was already posted, I haven't read all the threads:
"Giant-Killing Simon Wants Hopman Crown"
http://hopmancup.com/?id=103&NewsId=233

turtle-rn
01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Merci Les & Lisaplenske for the links! :D
just have to work twice as hard now to save some time tonight for the match! :(

Gilles played mixed doubles with Camille Pin in Roland-Garros, they even aced their way into the 2nd round!
:o :lol:

anaquot
01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Welcome back, Fran!

I've seen several different articles quoting the same interview - they've all seemed to inflate his statements with the title. I'm sure he'll catch some heat for this...

Probably the only heat he'll catch is from the press since hopefully the rest of us are on to their game and realize like Fran pointed out, that he didn't say that or mean that at all! Silly press :p

but-it's-ok
01-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Welcome back Fran:hug:

Thanks Les and Lisaplenske for the links;)

My first test,can I stay awake?:lol:

But,if I don't, I'll have sweet dreams of Gilles playing in IMO one of the best cities in the world:inlove: Perth:rocker:

Allez France:rocker:

Truc
01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
WORLD No.7 Gilles Simon admits he lacks a killer instinct after struggling to dispose of Chinese Taipei's Yen-Hsun Lu on the opening day of Perth's Hopman Cup.

Simon admitted he lost concentration after taking the first set 6-3 and racing to a 3-1 lead in the second set against his 64th-ranked opponent.

Lu capitalised on Simon's lapse and took the second set into a tiebreak, where Simon recovered from a nervous start to eventually prevail 8-6 to clinch the tie for France.

"I played great tennis and then when I was 6-3 3-1 up I just lost my concentration and he played better," Simon said.

"I'm a little bit lucky because I think I should have lost the second set."

Simon beat the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in 2008 but failed to make it past the third round in any of the four grand slams.

It is a sore point the 24-year-old is keen to atone for in 2009.

"Of course (I need to become more consistent) because I don't have to spend more time on the court when it's not necessary," Simon said.

"So if you can win a match 6-3 6-2 you have to do it, not 6-3 7-6 ... I have to stay focused on the match every time.

"I never want to win 6-2 6-1, I don't know why. :cuckoo:

"Sometimes I feel like I can do better and I don't know why I'm doing this.

"I think I just like to fight on the court. I prefer to win like this.

"When there's no fight, it's hard for me to have the killer instinct."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24868569-23216,00.html

Is the video worth the hassle of looking for an Australian pr.o.xy? Or is it just a few seconds?

but-it's-ok
01-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I think with Gilles there's a lot of kidology;) I don't know if he plays poker but I don't think I want to risk it:lol:

Though it seems he does geniunely lack a ruthless streak at the moment, especially appearing not to have a burning desire to win every point, (except it seems when the score gets tight) but then he's not alone. However through not having this,it could affect the longevity of his career by taking longer to finish matches off.

'Fighting' when he could take a little more care to finish things off quicker saps energy,mentally and physically. Its good he has the fighting mentality but when it interferes with the time it takes to win a match,this is what makes me a little frustrated with him at times. I hope he can sort it out;)

MsTree
01-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I think he probably thinks too much on court. He takes the first set to properly assess and analyse his opponents game and knows what he has to do to raise his game just ever so slightly above theirs - so he has fewer choices in the second and can play lovely Zen tennis. I worry now when he wins the first set of any match as it's harder for him as he already has the advantage of a set. He has more choices and starts thinking too much hence the second set slump.
Or maybe I'm just talking sh1te :devil:

but-it's-ok
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I think he probably thinks too much on court. He takes the first set to properly assess and analyse his opponents game and knows what he has to do to raise his game just ever so slightly above theirs - so he has fewer choices in the second and can play lovely Zen tennis. I worry now when he wins the first set of any match as it's harder for him as he already has the advantage of a set. He has more choices and starts thinking too much hence the second set slump.

Les,your points are well made;)

tedlesurfeur
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM

These things are so hard to explain, because on court you're not the only one it depends on. It's a subtle alchemy of trying to find the right measure of "zen" (as you call it) and still keeping on the dictating play. Like you, I think Gilles has trouble adjusting his game when he won the first set and has to finish the match, but my guess is it comes from the fact that he's facing different opponents.

Truc
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
A tough mixed doubles loss for the French, but they are still in it, having lost that match. But Alize, a great mixed doubles, but they were just a little bit too tough.
(Alize) Yeah, we had our chances and we just break in the second set. So we could win the second set, but unfortunately they played better today and congratulations to the Italians. They were really good today. And yeah, we’re disappointed of course. But it’s okay, we still have our chance to go in finals so we will try our best in two days.

You played very well in the singles. You’ve gotta be pretty happy with that performance?
(Alize) Yeah, of course I’m happy. I played good in singles, but you know the most important in this competition is to win the match. You know the team has to win the match, and we lost today. So even if I did well in my singles, I’m really sad over our defeat today.

Well a tough mixed doubles, but a tough singles for you Gilles. You started off in a pretty flat state today after the other day?
(Gilles) Yes, I was not moving like usually. But it’s because I practised a long time during the last day, so I start to be tired. But I, I think I rest tomorrow and I will be ok for, for the Russians.

Well the tactics that Simone used against you today, the little slice backhand, that sort of gave you some trouble?
(Gilles) No, I really improved these kind of shots. But I really need my legs to, to do a, what I have to do to, to fix it. And unfortunately today, was not moving very good.http://hopmancup.com/?id=713&NewsId=207

lisaplenske
01-06-2009, 10:21 AM
gilles:sad:

so now what France has to do to reach the finale?is it still possible?

I like alize cause she speaks as 2,they're a team and didnt say a word about gilles loss there.IF he beat bolleli,they would be the groupe leader but well hopefully they will be able to beat russia.
It will be tough but ALLEZ!:)

Truc
01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Is "poulette" really a nickname of Alizé, lisa? I just saw that in an article (La défaite pour poussin et poulette (http://www.20minutes.fr/article/286153/Sport-Ribery-c-est-le-meilleur-La-defaite-pour-poussin-et-poulette.php)).

lisaplenske
01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Well dont know but it is less cute than "poussin":o

lol;)

rtgy
01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I hope that Gilles plays better against the Russians. I worry that if he does not play well in HC, that such will be another reason to keep him off of the DC team. Could his not playing well at HC give him more of a reputation that he's not a good "team player?"

well I've the same worries like you Alli ..................maybe he really isn't a good "team player' after all :shrug:

I do have to admit that I'm getting over HC already... (I know- bad, bad Alli). I was really excited to see him for the first time this season, but I'm more of an ATP tournament kind of fan. My individual, killer instinct side seems to outweigh my togetherness, team spirit side. :sad:

:rolleyes:....I must say that HC isn't my favorite type of tournament indeed, but still I really enjoy it at the moment /except for today of course/

ahhh........................great new La Poulailler part of your sig.................. :worship:

Truc
01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
No, don't worry because of that, nobody cares about the Hopman Cup in France, everybody is well aware it's just an exhibition and he's still in the middle of his preparation. It has no consequences for the Davis Cup.

Truc
01-09-2009, 05:45 PM
On Canal+ tomorrow:
Gilles Simon : Un documentaire sur le tennisman à suivre sur Canal+

Le samedi 10 janvier 2009 à 15h55, Canal+ vous proposera de suivre un documentaire sur le tennisman français, Gilles Simon, réalisé par David Barouh.
En attendant l’Open d’Australie diffusé en direct sur les antennes de Canal+ du 19 janvier au 1er février, Intérieur Sport propose un portrait du tennisman français, Gilles Simon.
Dans une interview accordée à David Barouh, il revient sur ses débuts, sur la rapidité de son ascension, aujourd'hui 6ème mondial, et notamment sur son état d’esprit au moment d’aborder les matches.
En ce début d’année, il nous parle également de ses objectifs qui commenceront dès le 19 janvier à Melbourne.
David Barouh revient aussi sur le parcours du jeune Français à travers les interviews de ses différents entraîneurs depuis ses débuts à l’âge de 6 ans. The Intérieur Sport reports usually are available on the Net then (the one about Gaël in Monte-Carlo last year was really great, so it might be worth seeing):
http://www.canalplus.fr/index.php?pid=2708

Truc
01-10-2009, 01:43 PM
According to L'Equipe, the report also shows him playing the piano, I NEED to see this video.

LES CLÉS DE GILLES SIMON.– Sixième tennisman mondial, Gilles Simon est portraituré dans Intérieur Sport (Canal +, 15 h 35). L’ancien élève du Conservatoire montre qu’il n’a rien perdu de son doigté, exécutant au piano l’intro de "Song for a Guy", d’Elton John. Tombeur l’an passé de Roger Federer (à Toronto puis au Masters) et de Rafael Nadal (chez lui, à Madrid), Simon livre la clé de son secret : « C’est simple de jouer ces joueurs là, parce que tu joues à fond. Tu joues ton attaque à fond, tu frappes de toutes tes forces. Si elle est bonne, tant mieux ; si elle est faute, t’es pas déçu parce que tu te dis que si t’avais pris moins de risques, de toute façon, t’aurais pas gagné le point. »

MsTree
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Might it be shown on one of the Canal channels listed here?
http://www.onlinesports24.com/p2p/index-1.htm

Keijan
01-10-2009, 03:55 PM
According to L'Equipe, the report also shows him playing the piano, I NEED to see this video.

I only saw the last 10 minutes since I thought it was beginning at 15:55. He played the Panthère Rose (English ?) on the piano and was so totally showing off while he did :rolls: From what I saw he spoke a lot about his 2008 year and the Youzhny match in Indian Wells after which he stayed in his room for 4 days, only watching the celling, and the Federer/Nadal/Masters matchs. Tutu was very cute too, saying that it was nearly love between them :inlove: I think the beginning was about his junior years and the fact nobody believed in him except for a few :silly: people.

I can't wait to see it whole :D The Monfils one a few months ago was totally awesome (I'm actually trying to put it on youtube but I have trouble changing it to a normal .avi...) I really like those reports. Thanks for mentionning Gilles was going to be inside, Truc :)

Truc
01-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I saw in L'Equipe today that they were saying 15.35 instead of 15.55, sorry.
Tulasne always is quite excessive in his statements. ^^

:topic: I have the Monfils one, I can try to convert it, but I'm always afraid they delete my Youtube account if I upload the whole thing.
I uploaded the first 2 minutes on a new account as a test the other day and it hasn't been removed yet:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=JKhea1IoABM

rtgy
01-10-2009, 04:13 PM
I only saw the last 10 minutes since I thought it was beginning at 15:55. He played the Panthère Rose (English ?) on the piano and was so totally showing off while he did :rolls: From what I saw he spoke a lot about his 2008 year and the Youzhny match in Indian Wells after which he stayed in his room for 4 days, only watching the celling, and the Federer/Nadal/Masters matchs. Tutu was very cute too, saying that it was nearly love between them :inlove: I think the beginning was about his junior years and the fact nobody believed in him except for a few :silly: people.

I can't wait to see it whole :D The Monfils one a few months ago was totally awesome (I'm actually trying to put it on youtube but I have trouble changing it to a normal .avi...) I really like those reports. Thanks for mentionning Gilles was going to be inside, Truc :)

thanx Keijan, great report ;)

The Canal folks are so anal about their videos.

/what's true is true/

Keijan
01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
[COLOR=blue]thanx Keijan, great report ;)

You're welcome ! I really didn't say much, I should have recorded it ! But the interview was much more interesting and insightful ^^ At some point he was talking about the Masters and how nobody believed he would come alive of his group : "it's good that you came to this point, but there is no way you can qualify for the semis !" And he said to himself "we'll see if I'm not going to qualify, bande de nazes" :haha: (how do you translate that, "you bunch of jackass ?" :lol:) He had so many funny expressions ^^
I really like those reports, because you can really feel what it means to be a pro player, to wake up every morning to practice and to go through times where nobody believes in you, not even yourself. You touch their reality :)

I have the Monfils one, I can try to convert it, but I'm always afraid they delete my Youtube account if I upload the whole thing. The Canal folks are so anal about their videos.

They even delete your account ? :eek: My, what a pretty stupid move ! Everyone is saying how great their reports are and they don't let anyone watch it. I mean, we're not hurting anyone nor claiming what they did as ours, it's more like we're making free advertising for them :( Bande de nazes :lol:
That Gaël one.... :inlove: I think it's because of this vid that I became so attached to him. He was so touching and lost. I'm so happy he went through those difficult times and stands where he is now, crazy hair or not :lol: and same for Gillou, of course !

Tutu
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I saw in L'Equipe today that they were saying 15.35 instead of 15.55, sorry.
Tulasne always is quite excessive in his statements. ^^

:topic: I have the Monfils one, I can try to convert it, but I'm always afraid they delete my Youtube account if I upload the whole thing. The Canal folks are so anal about their videos.
I uploaded the first 2 minutes on a new account as a test the other day and it hasn't been removed yet:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=JKhea1IoABM

:sobbing: :rolls:

turtle-rn
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
"we'll see if I'm not going to qualify, bande de nazes" :haha: (how do you translate that, "you bunch of jackass ?" :lol:)
I am being picky, but in this context, I would say "bunch of losers"! :lol:

Truc
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
:sobbing: :rolls:It's edited, delete your post. :p

Yes, they delete accounts, Keijan. I just posted some of the Monfils videos in his forum, we'll see if they allow them. (You don't need to convert them, I uploaded the *.flv files.)

rtgy
01-10-2009, 06:42 PM
You're welcome ! I really didn't say much, I should have recorded it ! But the interview was much more interesting and insightful ^^ At some point he was talking about the Masters and how nobody believed he would come alive of his group : "it's good that you came to this point, but there is no way you can qualify for the semis !" And he said to himself "we'll see if I'm not going to qualify, bande de nazes" :haha: (how do you translate that, "you bunch of jackass ?" :lol:) He had so many funny expressions ^^
I really like those reports, because you can really feel what it means to be a pro player, to wake up every morning to practice and to go through times where nobody believes in you, not even yourself. You touch their reality :)

:rocker2:

Gillou :rocker:
/I'm so proud with him/

Grenouille
01-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Simon livre la clé de son secret : « C’est simple de jouer ces joueurs là, parce que tu joues à fond. Tu joues ton attaque à fond, tu frappes de toutes tes forces. Si elle est bonne, tant mieux ; si elle est faute, t’es pas déçu parce que tu te dis que si t’avais pris moins de risques, de toute façon, t’aurais pas gagné le point. »[/I]

This one is priceless !:eek:

Truc
02-03-2009, 01:29 PM
In Le Parisien today:De retour de l’Open de tennis d’Australie, Gilles Simon consacrera toute sa journée de demain aux médias : séances photos pour le magazine « Men’s Health » en vue du numéro d’avant Roland-Garros et pour le célèbre studio photos Harcourt, interview à Orange Sport et participation au « Moscato Show », à 18 heures sur RMC Info. Cette journée médiatique devait se terminer sur le plateau du « Grand Journal » de Michel Denisot sur Canal +. Mais après avoir reçu hier les handballeurs champions du monde et aujourd’hui Michel Desjoyeaux, vainqueur du Vendée Globe, l’animateur vedette de la chaîne cryptée a préféré différer la venue du numéro un français. He will have a media day again tomorrow: photo shooting for "Men's Health" and at the Harcourt studio and then he will be on the Moscato Show again ^^ - why always this annoying show?
He was also supposed to be on "Le Grand Journal", but they cancelled in last minute again because they already had the handball team and it would be too much sport in one week - last time he was cancelled because of a swimmer.

turtle-rn
02-03-2009, 02:36 PM
photo shooting for "Men's Health"
They only do shirtless pics don't they? ^_^

soulage
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Second times for "Le grand Journal" :o They don't like Tennis ?

Truc
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I had completely forgotten about the Moscato Show. Moscato just announced him tonight after Tony Parker, but I missed the first hour, I don't know if he already said anything?
It's on http://www.rmc.fr/# - but there should be a podcast later.

Truc
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
:zzz: Boring, don't even bother to listen to the podcast.
He talked about the Nadal match again, then he was asked about Noah's possible return in DC (he just said again he has never talked to Noah in his whole life, so what is he supposed to say?), he'll leave for Rotterdam on Sunday, he needs to take 4-5 days off between tournaments - not so much to recover physically because that's not a problem for him, but mentally, to take his mind off tennis. Some questions about the Davis Cup, as usual, he said there isn't any competition between them, they really want to win as a team and send the 2 best players at that time, he will be completely fine if he's not one of them.
And Moscato asked him to tell a story about his time in Australia, so he explained he saved somebody from drowning in Perth. It's quite a coincidence it happened to him as he goes to the beach twice a year only. He was there with Tulasne and Quétin, they saw a guy unconscious and drowning and got him back to the beach before the rescuers arrived. Of course Moscato asked him if he also gave the guy the kiss of life, but he didn't.

reggie1
02-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I must be boring Fran because I thought it sounded interesting :lol:

Truc
02-05-2009, 09:53 PM
You're right, the interview itself was fine, I've read too many interviews of him in Melbourne and already knew everything he said tonight (except the Perth story), so it was quite boring then. But that's my problem, not his.

I remember an article in L'Equipe saying he was a good swimmer when he was young - but he slipped one day at the swimming-pool, broke the two front teeth and gave up on swimming then.

Brownie
02-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the recap Fran:) That surprises me he's never met Noah before. I wouldn't imagine there would be competition for DC between the four of them, but do you think the guys who usually play doubles (Llodra & Clement, right?) are a little miffed about the situation? I wonder what their chances of being on the team are.

Edit: Looks like Llodra is in. http://www.sport365.fr/tennis/coupe-davis/infos/article_294072_Il-faut-prendre-Gasquet.shtml

Truc
02-06-2009, 08:52 AM
The article is pure speculation of a journalist, Laureen, it doesn't mean anything. But yes, it will take very poor performances of Llodra to kick him out of the team. He has priority over the entire French tennis for Forget (there was an article about Forget in L'Equipe last year with the beautiful title "Gaga de Mika" = "crazy about Llodra").
Gilles seemed indeed to talk again about the spirit between the four guys only when he said that (we all get along so well, no jealousy between us, blablabla), I had the same reaction as you by listening to him.

Truc
02-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Was this the breaking of baby teethHe must have been older. It was an article about the fact he was so versatile when he was younger - tennis, swimming, golf, piano... But he had to choose at one point and that's how he gave up on swimming according to the article.

I mean this article:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7401286&postcount=36

but-it's-ok
02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks Fran for the summary,I found it interesting:)

reggie1
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
The article is pure speculation of a journalist, Laureen, it doesn't mean anything. But yes, it will take very poor performances of Llodra to kick him out of the team. He has priority over the entire French tennis for Forget (there was an article about Forget in L'Equipe last year with the beautiful title "Gaga de Mika" = "crazy about Llodra").
Gilles seemed indeed to talk again about the spirit between the four guys only when he said that (we all get along so well, no jealousy between us, blablabla), I had the same reaction as you by listening to him.

I wonder how true that is? When Matts Wilander was commentating on AO he said that when he coached PHM, the competition between the French guys was really fierce and that the only thing that mattered was who was French number 1. Other rankings didn't matter to them.

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 02:26 PM
There definitely is intense rivalry between Gilles and Richard. There's no denying he's close to both Gael and Jo but there definitely isn't too much love lost between him and Gasquet no matter what they say. Yeah, I remember hearing on the commentary at Shanghai I think it was and they were saying how importan the French #1 was for the French boys because of all the prestige and commercial appeal it brought with it in France so it would make sense that it's incredibly important. I didn't know Mats coached P-H M. You do learn something new every day!

xhr75019
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
There definitely is intense rivalry between Gilles and Richard. There's no denying he's close to both Gael and Jo but there definitely isn't too much love lost between him and Gasquet no matter what they say.

Where on earth do you take that from??? This is pure speculation imo

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 02:53 PM
It's just my own personal opinion mainly but I have read an interview where Gilles admits he's not as close to Richard as he is to the other two. I think he said something like 'I get on with Richard a little less well' or something like that

Brownie
02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
I think he said that because they just aren't close friends. They haven't hung out as much as Gilles and Gael or Gilles and Jo. I don't think he was implying that there is an intense rivalry when he said that.

xhr75019
02-06-2009, 02:57 PM
If memory serves, it was more along the line of "I am a little less close with Richard", which I think is very different.

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
http://www.rootzoo.com/threads/view/Tennis/ATP-Tour/Richard-Gasquet-vs-Gilles-Simon_169382

A little article explaining why there's a little animosity between Simon and Gasquet. I'm not saying they hate each other I was just saying really the other three are close and then Richard and Gilles wouldn't be as close as the others that's all. I'm sure Gilles is friendly with everyone he has that type personality I think

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hell yeah theres some bad blood. Gilles is friends with everyone, he is a cool cat, but some people can rub others the wrong way due to immaturity. I think it is mostly due to miscommunication, but Gilles and Richie are not exactly close friends. Richie has always kicked his butt in their head to heads, and he was pissed at the Davis Cup tie against the US.

Just a comment from the author of the article I posted just there

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I hope no-one is offended by my posts I just posted my own personal opinion which is by no means definitive because, at the end of the day, I don't know Gilles or Richard so I don't know the true nature of their friendship/rivalry. Apologies if I've offended anyone once again

Brownie
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I hope no-one is offended by my posts I just posted my own personal opinion which is by no means definitive because, at the end of the day, I don't know Gilles or Richard so I don't know the true nature of their friendship/rivalry. Apologies if I've offended anyone once again
No worries:)

xhr75019
02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
No apology needed Eimear, it's cool :)

reggie1
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I think we probably look at stuff from a girl's point of view, (difficult not too when you're a girl ;)) if a girl says "I'm a little less close with this person" she probably means something a bit more. When men say it, they mean it as they say it. Girls are just too complicated :devil::o:lol:

Tutu
02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I wonder how true that is? When Matts Wilander was commentating on AO he said that when he coached PHM, the competition between the French guys was really fierce and that the only thing that mattered was who was French number 1. Other rankings didn't matter to them.

Well Mats Wilander talks so much B.S its unbelievable. :tape:

reggie1
02-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Well Mats Wilander talks so much B.S its unbelievable. :tape:
he does it in such a nice voice though :lol: most of them do talk nonsense. My fave commentator was Dan Maskell but you may be too young to remember him :angel:

Keijan
02-06-2009, 07:27 PM
There definitely is intense rivalry between Gilles and Richard. There's no denying he's close to both Gael and Jo but there definitely isn't too much love lost between him and Gasquet no matter what they say. Yeah, I remember hearing on the commentary at Shanghai I think it was and they were saying how importan the French #1 was for the French boys because of all the prestige and commercial appeal it brought with it in France so it would make sense that it's incredibly important. I didn't know Mats coached P-H M. You do learn something new every day!

It's just my own personal opinion mainly but I have read an interview where Gilles admits he's not as close to Richard as he is to the other two. I think he said something like 'I get on with Richard a little less well' or something like that

I can assure you there is no bad blood at all between Richie and Gilles ;) Gilles is exceptionnaly close to Gaël and Jo because of the past they share (sleeping in the same room for years when they were teens, training together every day back then, etc.) So of course he would be less close to Richard, as with most of the other Frenchies, but they never spoke bad of each other, quite the contrary. Richard always said how he found it normal that Gilles was top ten, that he deserved it, etc (there weren't that many Frenchies to recognise it) and Gilles always acknowledged Richard's talent, he also said Richard was the kindest of them all.

They also said that being French number 1 seriously doesn't mean anything, they don't fight for that kind of reward. And I think Gilles was angry towards the medias who made Richie a living god, not towards Richard himself (cf his "Richard should have told them all to f*ck off, he's too nice" :lol:)
So really, no problems there ;)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/DSC_1134-1.jpg

turtle-rn
02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh. so that's what PHM has been telling him.. good to know. :devil:

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 07:50 PM
I have to agree with you Vicky ... I love Mats Wilanders voice. I could listen to him forever!!! You're right though in fairness. We are too complicated and I guess I was trying to over-analyse things which I have a habit of doing! Keijan, what you said makes sense. Gilles' anger probably IS at the media and not at Richard himself. It's probably just the media sprouting BS and trying to stir things up. Like I said, it was my over-analysis that caused the problem. I'm glad it caused you to post such a cute pic though Keijan. Thanks!

reggie1
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh. so that's what PHM has been telling him.. good to know. :devil:
PHM probably said something really innocent like "It would be great to be French number one" and that has somehow become an intense rivalry according to Wilander. The commentators just want to generate their own headlines a lot of the time. Pat Cash being a prime example. I only mentioned what Wilander had said as I genuinely didn't know.

reggie1
02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I've seen that before, I read somewhere that Gilles has a thing for peanut M&M's and then I saw that pic of him eating them and it just made me laugh.

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
PHM probably said something really innocent like "It would be great to be French number one" and that has somehow become an intense rivalry according to Wilander. The commentators just want to generate their own headlines a lot of the time. Pat Cash being a prime example. I only mentioned what Wilander had said as I genuinely didn't know.

It never fails to amaze me how things get blown up in the press that start off as little innocent comments ... Andy Murray is a case in point. He made a joke to a reporter about not supporting England in the World Cup and all of a sudden Andy Murray hates England and English people. He was vilified in the press for what was a complete and utter joke. The press do it all the time to everyone. They love putting their own spins on things. We, unfortunately, take the bait sometimes though

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 08:00 PM
So that's what he's eating ... I wondered what he was eating!

Keijan
02-06-2009, 08:06 PM
I thought you had seen them all before ! There are the other two :

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/dsc11334xb-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/dsc1136er2-1.jpg

He's eating M&M's... the green ones, it seems :lol: if he's still eating them, no wonder he has some "problems" during his matchs !

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't know what it is but I can see what people see in Gasquet in those photos. No I hadn't seen them before Keijan. They're great. Thanks! I didn't know M 'n' Ms gave you 'problems' during matches :lol:

Brownie
02-06-2009, 08:13 PM
They look so young!:awww: Gilles is really intent on eating his M&Ms and tuning out the rest of the world, huh?:lol:

I don't know what it is but I can see what people see in Gasquet in those photos.

That's he's so darn adorable?:angel:

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
He does look really sweet in those photos I have to agree with you Lauren. They're definitely the nicest photos of Richard that I've ever seen

Keijan
02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't know what it is but I can see what people see in Gasquet in those photos. No I hadn't seen them before Keijan. They're great. Thanks! I didn't know M 'n' Ms gave you 'problems' during matches :lol:

They do say that green M&Ms have some special caracteristics (http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl-an092301.htm), which would explain a few things that happened to Gillou lately :lol:

Maybe "freakin adorable" is indeed the word you're looking for to qualify Gasquet :p

Eimear O'Mahony
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Well having seen those pictures I'm on the way to becoming a Gasquetaire ... think I'd need to see a few more. Maybe I'll pop over to the Gasquet forum! Hmm judging by the AO I'd say Gilles had an addiction to green M n M problem!

Keijan
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
They look so young!:awww: Gilles is really intent on eating his M&Ms and tuning out the rest of the world, huh?:lol:

:lol: I suppose it's at least twice worse when it's Chocapics :lol: not to mention Chocapics + M&M's + video game, the world could crumble around him and he wouldn't move for an inch.

Well having seen those pictures I'm on the way to becoming a Gasquetaire ... think I'd need to see a few more. Maybe I'll pop over to the Gasquet forum! Hmm judging by the AO I'd say Gilles had an addiction to green M n M problem!

In my humble opinion, Richard is as lovable as Gillou (and Jo, and Gaël :inlove:) go go go Eimear :D

Cloudygirl
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
aww I want to put them both in my pocket they are so cute. M&Ms are evil though espec the nut ones he should get better taste in chocolate.

Truc
02-06-2009, 09:29 PM
The interview with Moscato now is available (it's in the 2nd part of the show, around 19:20):
http://www.rmc.fr/podcast/podcast.php?id=131

Brownie
02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
The interview with Moscato now is available (it's in the 2nd part of the show, around 19:20):
Thanks Fran...I'll see if I get anything out of it:lol:

:lol: I suppose it's at least twice worse when it's Chocapics :lol: not to mention Chocapics + M&M's + video game, the world could crumble around him and he wouldn't move for an inch.
Chocapics = the not so healthy food he eats for breakfast? :lol:

In my humble opinion, Richard is as lovable as Gillou (and Jo, and Gaël :inlove:) go go go Eimear :D
Agreed:) Go Eimear! (check out the pic thread, it's a great place;))

Eeeekkkk, have we been way too offtopic here:unsure::lol:

*MJP*
02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Maybe "freakin adorable" is indeed the word you're looking for to qualify Gasquet :p[/QUOTE]

I cant believe how adorable Richie looks here!:angel: Soo young, how long ago were these pics taken? I haven't ever seen them before either - nice find ppl:worship:
I dont think that Gilles has really changed much at all.
:haha: for the M & M's!

Truc
02-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Soo young, how long ago were these pics taken? I haven't ever seen them before eitherIt's written on it, Metz 2005. You should really take a look at the website if you don't know the pics yet, it's awesome. Cécile also is the webmaster of www.jwtsonga.com, her websites are "essential" if you're interested in French tennis.

The URL doesn't work anymore for me, try this one:
http://tennistory2004.free.fr/

Eimear O'Mahony
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
go go go Eimear :D

Right guys ... this is it ... here I go ... off the the Gasquet forum ... If I'm not back in 10 minutes send out a search party :lol:

Keijan
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Soo young, how long ago were these pics taken? I haven't ever seen them before

Like Fran said, it was in 2005, so four years from now. They were respectively 18 and 20 if I'm right :inlove:

Chocapics = the not so healthy food he eats for breakfast?

Yeah, the one Jo got so worried about back when they were living together because Gillou ate the whole package and then went to play a match :lol:

rdandelion
02-09-2009, 02:54 AM
oh. i don't know that he like M n M. i like that too. :drool:

J'adore.Gilles
02-09-2009, 06:43 AM
:drool:

Truc
09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I bump the old thread because I don't know where to post the news about his knee otherwise.
The French Tennis Mag always has a "Comment ça va?" rubric giving news about a player currently injured and this month it's about Gilles:
http://monimag.eu/upload/286/comment ca va.jpg

So, how are you?
Very well, even if it's never a good thing to be in this rubric. The knee is rather better than I thought. The medical images were looking rather better than after RG.

What's the problem exactly?
I have a quite old lesion in the patellar sinew and also an inflammation under the kneecap, a bit more into the leg, that's the part which hurts a lot. It's an area which takes a lot of time to heal up.

What are the possible treatments?
There's not much I can do, actually, because it's not a very vascular area. The treatments with cold or heat are no use because it's really deep in the leg.

What is your schedule now?
I'll take 2 weeks of complete rest and then I will start practicing gently to get ready for the 3 weeks in Asia. I will come back in Bangkok. After those 3 weeks, I'll see how the knee is doing.

The pain doesn't seem to be continuous?
Some days are tougher than others. Sometimes I can play completely normally, but it's a deceitful pain, it comes back out of the blue.

lalaland
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Fran, for the news and the translation. :)
Also, thanks for answering my question in the Richie forum.

MsTree
09-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Fran! Good to know a bit more about his knee and good for Rawalya that he says he's playing Bangkok :)

Truc
09-27-2009, 09:02 AM
For the French speakers, he was on the Moscato Show again on Monday:
Why does he like this show so much?

Truc
09-27-2009, 11:08 AM
:silly:
I just wasted one hour of my life, the show was worse than ever. They hardly let him say anything, they all have no clue of tennis, the jokes are pathetic... Who listens to this voluntarily and what is he doing there?

He sounds a bit sick, he has a very hoarse voice, but that was on last Monday.
He doesn't say anything new about the knee. When they ask him if the idea is to play the season to the end and wait for the off-season for a possible surgery, he answers there definitely is no surgery talk.
Being a "featherweight" is an advantage for his kind of injury, it's not too tough on his knee to keep playing, he can deal with it.

When he's asked about Forget, he says it's not his fault if they didn't do very well this year and Forget will obviously remain DC captain.

A listener asks him why they always lose in the 4th round in Slams even when they are the favorites on paper. He answers people in France only hear of the French players and don't realize the opponents are very strong too, same as in Davis Cup. For example in the Jo-Gonzo match at the US Open, he doesn't read much what people write, but if people said that Jo clearly was the favourite, it definitely wasn't that obvious to him. If you look at the Race, Gonzo was ahead of Jo, he's made a Slam semi already this year, it was definitely a 50-50 story and hence not a shocking defeat.

Another listener says it's always a pleasure to listen to Gilles and they should take him on the team of the radio show. The host of the show: "no way, he's way too expensive for us, he's already earned over 3.000.000 $ prize money" - Gilles: "Oh really? :D" He sounds sincerely surprised and delighted to hear that, it's quite cute - but not worth listening to the whole crap.

MsTree
09-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Aw Fran :hug:
Thanks for reporting back to us what he said.

Off topic a bit but I remember reading somewhere (maybe not here) someone complaining about French players living abroad so they don't have to pay tax in France on their winnings - well Greg Rudseki said recently that it was only their sponsorship money and endorsements that they pay tax on in the country where they live, and their tournament winnings are taxed at the rate of the country the tournament is played in. So the winner of Wimbledon would be taxed at the UK higher rate, which used to be 50%, I think it's 40% now - I've never earned enough to be sure of this ;) I thought it was quite an interesting snippet and not what I took the situation to be.

Truc
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't know where to post this - and maybe it was already posted since it's old news:

He is also supposed to play the Adelaide exho (with Leconte ^^) the week before the AO:
http://www.worldtennischallenge.com/WTCWorldTennisChallenge.htm
("Simon is known for having a powerful forehand")

MsTree
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Happy birthday Fran :hug: :D

Just got in and switched on the TV - only to see lovely Gillou smiling back at me on the ATP Tour uncovered programme - I'll catch the rerun later and upload it :D

lalaland
11-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Happy birthday Fran, hope you had a great one. And happy belated birthday to you Les. :kiss:

turtle-rn
11-20-2009, 05:43 AM
Joyeux Anniversaire Fran! :aparty:

(with Leconte ^^)
I'll pretend I've never read that bit. :angel:

Truc
11-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Oh thank you (je suis quadragénaire, gloups)!

Tulasne gives some news of Gilles in l'Equipe today. He got a phone call of the ATP yesterday in the afternoon to be 2nd alternate in London since Gaël isn't sure at all anymore and Tulasne says it was a heartbreak for him to decline. 4 more weeks of complete rest to go, he will undergo new tests then and he's supposed to resume the training on the 20th of December. He has already crossed Brisbane off his schedule, but still plans on playing that Adelaide thingie and then the AO.

MsTree
11-20-2009, 05:25 PM
:bigcry: I'm not sure I wanted to hear that! :lol: Next year Gillou! :hug:

lalaland
11-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Sexy turned them down too? He's ahead of Gilles, I didn't think Sexy would not want to go, he's not even injured. Sorry Les, but anyhow, you never get to see the 2nd alternate anyway, I don't recall seeing Kiefer at all last year.

MsTree
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
He didn't play but he was in the crowd! :devil: I could've taken stalking to a whole new level! :lol:

Truc
11-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Sexy is even ahead of Gaël! But he wants to focus on the Davis Cup final.
The surprising one to me was Cilic, he is ahead of Gilles and I thought that he would come as an European.

We got to see the alternates more the year Ancic was there, they even had their own videos on the ATP website.

lalaland
11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
They have videos for the alternates? Wow, I didn't realize. Would have like watching that Ancic one.
I just thought they don't show them cos I didn't see Kiwi at all last year. Poor Kiwi, he was taking it (for being there) so seriously too.

Ah sorry Les :hug:. :secret: he'll be there in London next year ready to be stalked ;).

Truc
11-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's a video of Mario as an alternate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV62Q50Df1U

We got to see Mario and Tomas quite a lot when they were alternates a couple of years ago, they even posed in their Chinese outfits.
But we don't see them much anymore (or they only show the alternates when they are "marketable"?)

http://www.athlebrities.com/post-images/topeighttennishotties.jpg

Cloudygirl
11-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Well I think Tsonga is pretty marketable.

lalaland
11-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Maybe they can't show the alternates because they don't know who's gonna show? :shrug: It sounds like Jo is still not in London yet and of course the 2nd alternate is not yet committed. Last year, from what they said, Sexy was vacationing already when they called him and he got to Shanghai quite last minute and w/o his luggage or sth, I guess must be the same for Kiwi then since he's ranked even lower than Sexy and probably got the call even later? I found it quite annoying that for a prestigious event like the YEC (or WTF if you prefer ;)), the guys are so reluctant to participate. The injured I can understand, and I know the alternates more often than not don't get to play, but still. Just go there and pocket like $50K and watch some tennis is not so hard, is it? And if they don't get to play, they can just think of it as a paid vacation :p.

Cloudygirl
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
Maybe they can't show the alternates because they don't know who's gonna show? :shrug: It sounds like Jo is still not in London yet and of course the 2nd alternate is not yet committed. Last year, from what they said, Sexy was vacationing already when they called him and he got to Shanghai quite last minute and w/o his luggage or sth, I guess must be the same for Kiwi then since he's ranked even lower than Sexy and probably got the call even later? I found it quite annoying that for a prestigious event like the YEC (or WTF if you prefer ;)), the guys are so reluctant to participate. The injured I can understand, and I know the alternates more often than not don't get to play, but still. Just go there and pocket like $50K and watch some tennis is not so hard, is it? And if they don't get to play, they can just think of it as a paid vacation :p.

but I suppose if you are a pro player then you normally only get a 6 weeks off season tops. (exos etc start over new year) so if you are spending 4 weeks maybe preparing for the new season, you might only get 2 weeks holiday. I'm guessing the off time is pretty precious and they would prefer to spend it in the sun somewhere rather than in rainy old England. Also people like sexy will be preparing for DC finals.

lalaland
11-21-2009, 12:07 AM
I do understand Sexy wanting to prepare for DC, that's far more important.

I think I'm just a bit disappointed that others don't see the value of YEC. I mean, as fans, I think it's quite exciting at the end of the year we all cheer for our favorites to get to YEC, because it's only the very top players get to go, it's a privilege to be involved. And if you are just outsides the top 8 and still see it as an honor to get invited, then that's how the fans will see it too. But last year, no one wants to go and ended up a player ranked in the 20s and another in the 30s went. That suddenly made the fans (or just me) feel that being an alternate has no value. I do understand that the off-season is short and they want to get vacation and they certainly all do deserve that. I'm not judging them for not willing to go, I'm disappointed that being an alternate in the YEC has amount to nothing much anymore. It wasn't used to be like that.

Cloudygirl
11-21-2009, 12:17 AM
theres got to be the intimidation factor too though. It's actually a pretty tough comp. Verdasco's head to head with the other guys is pretty horrendous for example. I'm not sure that you'd want to go if you know you are probably going to be embarrassingly thrashed.

lalaland
11-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Do you mean the alternate? or the qualifiers?

I haven't thought about that. That's a good point, Tommmy (Boredo) should definitely pass if they asks him :p.

But this year, maybe a great year to get some win to balance out the bad H to H. Fed is definitely vulnerable, same can be said about Rafa. Nando is in relatively good shape. I think he would be okay. But then, all 8 of them are pretty beat up at this point anyway.

Cloudygirl
11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
The alternates. I mean Tsonga's 1st alternate and he knows he would stand an ok chance of at least winning a match because he has beaten most of the top 10 players previously, Simon the same but as you said Boredo for example, why put yourself through the humiliation.

lalaland
11-21-2009, 12:58 AM
You are right, I should look at it from their perspectives.

So going down the list:
Gonzo - injured
Sexy - DC
Gael - undecided
Cilic - declined
Gilles - injured
Tommy - for the reason we just discussed
Haas - better rest bcos he just has swine flu
Ferrer - injured
Misha - wife having baby
Berdych - DC too
Wawa - injured ?
Hewitt - injured

Well, I must say Cilic should have gone, he has no apparent reason to reject. Then again, you don't know the reason why he declined, I guess we'll have to respect his decision. Would be good if Gael decides to accept, he can keep Jo company there, but I won't fault him for wanting to spend more time with his dad.

Truc
11-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Everybody turning down seems to be a new trend, I preferred it too when the next ones in the rankings just turned up and also got a bit of recognition then since it's a great achievement to finish the year so close to the top 8. Like that year with Mario and Tomas. Or I clearly remember Cañas proudly posing with the others in Houston in 2004.

I think Gilles said last year that he would have gone to Shanghai even as 2nd alternate.

Do we know now the 2nd alternate in London?

MsTree
11-21-2009, 10:50 PM
They must be still phoning round :lol:

Truc
11-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Gilles isn't on the entry list of Brisbane, as expected.

There were a few lines about him today in L'Equipe, but nothing interesting. He's spending some time in Switzerland atm, will go on vacation in some sunny country, but doesn't know where yet, and he will be back for the first medical tests on the 10th of December. The doc is confident those few weeks off will help since Gilles' injuries always heal up very fast when he takes some time off.

anaquot
11-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Hawai'i is sunny ;)
So, just saw Nice stop in ATP next year right before RG...think he an Alize will be required to play there?

Truc
11-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Not Alizé since it's just an ATP event, but Gilles will certainly play there indeed.
Maybe not a bad thing in itself, but I don't like it doesn't really leave him the choice.

Truc
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
The French players are asked in the new Tennis Mag to give their assessment of 2009 and of their goals for 2010, and Gilles says he isn't sure to play the AO, but I have no idea how old it is:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4618/gilless.jpg
Hard to talk about his goals for the next season since he isn't even sure yet to play the AO, the priority for now really is to get rid of the knee problem first. He just vaguely says that he will keep developping his game and he will also try to change his approach of the matches.

lalaland
12-12-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks Fran, for the clip. His profile shot looks great :D.
I remembered he said he has his first check up on the knee Dec 10th, wonder how it went, hope the healing is progressing nicely.

Naina
12-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Every other forum is posting pics of aussie open outfits so does anyone know what Gillou is wearing??? probably wrong thread to ask :o

MsTree
12-13-2009, 07:23 AM
We're not like every other forum though :lol:

Maybe it would be tempting fate, as we don't even know if he'll be fit for the AO yet :(

I would like to see him in red :hearts:

Naina
12-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I was thinking I have never seen him in Orange....:hearts:

but-it's-ok
12-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm wondering whether Gillou will actually appear in adidas gear next year:help: Adidas are on a cull it seems,Nole is wearing Sergio Tacchini next year,the Bryan brothers won't be wearing adidas next year(I saw it on Twitter)!!

I think adidas may be cost cutting!!:help: The adidas boys are dwindling:bigcry: I'm praying Gilles will appear in Adidas next year but I won't be so surprised if he doesn't..just very,very:sad::bigcry:

MsTree
12-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Didn't Adidas just offer Andy M about 10 million sponsorship deal? Even I'm better at cost cutting than that! :lol:

but-it's-ok
12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Didn't Adidas just offer Andy M about 10 million sponsorship deal? Even I'm better at cost cutting than that! :lol:

I didn't know about that:lol: Maybe they are cutting down on the amount of players they have:shrug: I just find it unlikely that the Bryans would voluntarily move away from adidas(they have yet to announce who their new clothing sponsors will be). I have heard rumours that Verdasco may not be wearing adidas next year..:confused:

Cloudygirl
12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
i think it depends on how long his contract has left to run. They wouldn't renege on current contracts. On the subject of Gilles though does he still have a racket sponsor I noticed at Bercy he didn't have a stencil on his racket.

MsTree
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
That was well observed!
I checked the Ljubicic match and his racket had a stencil for the first couple of sets but he started the 3rd set without a stencil! I don't have the match with Jo on my laptop so I can't check that one :(

Cloudygirl
12-13-2009, 07:13 PM
I think I've got that match on a disc somewhere. I'll check.

lalaland
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Adidas didn't renew Baghdatis's contract which ends end of this year. I think Adidas is indeed cutting cost, so that they can pay Murray. I hope this won't happen to Gilles, I love Adidas on him.

TravelingFanGirl
12-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree! Adidas does his body good! ;)

Truc
12-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Fresh news in L'Equipe!
Simon sur la bonne voie
C’EST LE 31 DÉCEMBRE que Gilles Simon (15e) saura définitivement s’il pourra, ou non, disputer le prochain Open d’Australie (18-31 janvier). Handicapé par une fissure du tendon sous-rotulien durant le deuxième semestre 2009, le Français a passé une IRM mercredi dernier. Laquelle a livré un verdict qui invite à l’optimisme : la cicatrisation est en très bonne voie. « Gilles s’est d’abord mis au repos complet, puis il est parti en vacances aux Seychelles, raconte son coach, Thierry Tulasne. L’arrêt de toute activité était en effet la condition sine qua non d’une bonne cicatrisation. Là, il vient d’attaquer trois semaines de rééducation à Roland-Garros avec Christophe Ceccaldi (le kiné de l’équipe de France). Le matin, il bosse sur le haut du corps ; l’après-midi, sur le bas, en cherchant à renforcer les muscles et le tendon. Le 31, il passera une nouvelle IRM. C’est cet examen qui décidera de son avenir immédiat. » De deux choses l’une : soit le genou supporte mal la rééducation et subit une inflammation (dans ce cas, exit l’Australie) ; soit il réagit bien. Dans cette hypothèse, Simon déclencherait le compte à rebours. « L’idée serait de reprendre l’entraînement le 31 et de partir pour l’Australie le 7 janvier, poursuit Tulasne. On a évidemment conscience que le délai est très court, surtout pour travailler “la caisse”. L’avantage, c’est que, contrairement à l’an passé, où Gilles avait revu toute sa volée de revers, cette fois, il n’y a aucun changement technique. » Pour ne pas arriver dans l’inconnu à Melbourne, Simon disputerait une exhibition à Adélaïde, les 12, 13 et 14 janvier. « Cela ferait un total de dix-huit jours d’entraînement, précise " Tutu ". C’est juste, mais Gilles a tellement envie que ça peut le faire. Depuis qu’il a commencé sa rééducation, il est plein d’enthousiasme. À Roland, avec le retour de mecs comme Clément ou Mahut, l’ambiance est bonne. Il lui tarde vraiment de reprendre la raquette. »

Truc
12-15-2009, 07:51 AM
He will know on the 31st of December if he can play or not the AO. He had an MRI on Wednesday and the result is encouraging, the healing is looking very good. He was on vacation in the Seychelles and didn't do anything there. Now he's going to have 3 weeks rehab in Roland-Garros, focussing on the upper body in the morning and the legs in the afternoon. He will undergo another MRI on the 31st of December. The results of that MRI will be deciding: either there is an inflammation again, which means the rehab was too much for the knee and bye bye Melbourne. Or the knee looks fine and they would start the countdown then: he would resume the training immediately on the 31st and leave for Australia on the 7th of January. Tulasne says that it will be very tight and won't leave them with much time to work on his stamina. The good point is that there are no technical changes to implement in his game this time, unlike last year when he had changed his BH volley [I thought it was 2 years ago?] Together with the Adelaide exho, he would have 18 days of training. Not much, but Gilles is so eager to play that it's feasible. He's been full of enthusiasm since the beginning of the rehab. There's a great atmosphere in Roland with guys like Clément or Mahut back at the FFT. He really can't wait to pick up the racquet again. (It's Tulasne speaking all the time, not Gilles.)

WarriorA
12-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Fran, thank you so much for posting the news and the translation. :yeah:

Hopefully there is good news on the 31st. :D

I have to give a shoutout to Lauren for Sporcle again - because I know exactly where Seychelles is. If anyone wants to duel for Countries of the World champion (completion in quickest time), let me know. ;) :devil:

sammy01
12-18-2009, 12:48 AM
im hoping hes fit for the oz open, would be sad if he wasn't there.

madeinburma
12-27-2009, 11:17 AM
It's Gillou's birthday!!!! :aparty: Joyeux Anniversaire Gilles! Happy 25!

rawalya
12-27-2009, 12:01 PM
thanks madeinburma, i'm waiting for someone to first post HBD for Gillou
i couldnt decide which thread to go :lol:

Joyeux anniversaire Gillou
je te souhaite tout le bonheur du monde!!

=^____^=

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs123.snc3/17071_1132093157336_1677500140_267799_1904753_n.jp g

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/toy8.gif http://www.pantip.com/cafe/toy/image/new1.gif

i'll give presents for everyone in the video thread ^__^

sammy01
12-27-2009, 04:37 PM
oooooow the day before mine, us capricorns are the best. hes so hot!

but-it's-ok
12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Gillou's 25th birthday,Joyeux anniversaire!!!:banana::bdaycake::aparty:

lalaland
12-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Just made it to wish Gilles Joyeux anniversaire on his birthday (well, it's still 27th in my timezone ;)). Wish him a very successful coming year and most importantly, a very healthy one.

Gilles --> :bdaycake:

And vote for him http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=154841

And, happy birthday to you, Sammy, since it's already 28th at where you are.

Truc
12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
It seems there is something about Gilles in the last issue of "10 sport", but it isn't available in the online shop where I usually buy it. Est-ce que quelqu'un habitant en France pourrait jeter discrètement un oeil à la page 23 chez un marchand de journaux? :p
Sur la page suivante, Gilles Simon parle de son « souhait pour 2010 », à savoir : « jouer une année sans être blessé ». Ce désir s’apparente sans aucun doute à un objectif compte tenu des explications qu’il fournit : « Pour mon genou, l’inflammation est passée. Mais la lésion reste. Je ne recommencerai pas la saison si je ne suis pas à 100% ».
http://sportmental.blog.lemonde.fr/2009/12/27/les-objectifs-dalain-bernard-et-de-gilles-simon-la-technique-de-fixation-de-buts-en-sport/#xtor=RSS-32280322#xtor=RSS-3208

I'm not sure if they really have any news because "10 sport" usually is completely clueless about tennis, the blog just quotes Gilles saying that his goal for 2010 is to play an entire season without being injured and that the inflammation is gone, but the lesion is still there and he won't play in Australia if he isn't at 100% of his abilities.

WarriorA
12-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the update Fran. :) Still hoping for good news on the 31st.

Venturing out into NT and GM during the off-season is revving up my excitement for 2010 Gillou vs. (then d.) [Insert random top 3 player here] smackdowns. :devil:

whattheheck
12-29-2009, 02:41 AM
Belated happy birthday!:bdaycake::aparty:

turtle-rn
12-29-2009, 11:36 AM
It seems there is something about Gilles in the last issue of "10 sport", but it isn't available in the online shop where I usually buy it. Est-ce que quelqu'un habitant en France pourrait jeter discrètement un oeil à la page 23 chez un marchand de journaux? :p
Sur la page suivante, Gilles Simon parle de son « souhait pour 2010 », à savoir : « jouer une année sans être blessé ». Ce désir s’apparente sans aucun doute à un objectif compte tenu des explications qu’il fournit : « Pour mon genou, l’inflammation est passée. Mais la lésion reste. Je ne recommencerai pas la saison si je ne suis pas à 100% ».
Rien de nouveau, on dirait un pot-pourri de ses dernières interviews. Pour les fans hardcore: :p

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3200/10sport2312opt.th.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/10sport2312opt.jpg/)

Truc
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Oh thanks a lot! I really wasn't asking you to buy it because I know 10sport is such a terrible newspaper. (Leurs articles se survolent facilement en 15 secondes chrono chez le marchand de journaux.)
Actually, this is a high quality article by 10sport's standards because they've obviously talked with him, unlike for their usual interviews and portraits.

Nothing new indeed. I was just wondering because the quote in the other blog sounded fairly recent and I thought maybe he would elaborate.

turtle-rn
12-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I was curious myself, it's the first time I ever heard of that newspaper (et ils ont au moins l'honnêteté d'afficher le prix de leurs prétentions haha).

Truc
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm sure your life feels more complete after having discovered 10sport.

Here's a summary since the Poulailler is full of hardcore fans:

His 2009 season
He can't be satisfied with being ranked at #15, but it's very positive he was able to finish the year in the top 15 again.
He's very pleased with the way he's managed to settle his game this year, it's the main improvement and allows him to score easy wins now.
Coming to terms with his new status has been the main change for him in 2009. He was supposed to win in 9 out of 10 matches and had trouble dealing with this new situation during the first part of the season. When he reached the SF in a tournament, he had only beaten players ranked below him and didn't think "well done", he always had mixed feelings. With the knee injury he allowed himself to lose again and that's how he recovered the pleasure to play, the confidence and also his real level of game, despite a few frustrating things.

The Davis Cup
His slump didn't start with those 2 defeats.
The new experience for him was the feeling of guilt towards the team. It showed in his attitude, he was not his usual self on the court. Against Stepanek he started cheering on himself after the 3rd point. He never does that. He was afraid to give the image of a guy who is too impassive in defeat, while he usually couldn't care less about that.

His image
When he arrived on the tour, he had the image of an amateur who kept eating candy and wasn't training properly.
He thinks he's serious when he needs to, but he's not the strictest player on the tour. Sure, he is more than Gaël, but who isn't?
His image has completely changed within two years. He used to be seen as a talented guy and is now called laborious. He was accused of being too amateurish and now has the image of an extremely serious guy. He doesn't think he's changed, actually.

The possible relocation of Roland-Garros
He has trouble imagining RG at another place, but other Slams did it and survived, so RG will be fine too.

Private/public life
He's not interested in the private life of other people.
He talks about Domenech, the coach of the French football team, apparently the media made a big deal out of his bonus and Gilles thinks it's BS because he doesn't get more money than the other selectors.

His wish for 2010: to play a whole season without being injured.
His Christmas wish list: a new knee and an unreturnable 300 km/h serve.

And then he says he will only play in Australia if the knee is perfectly fine and he doesn't feel any pain anymore.

The box is about the Davis Cup and Noah. He says it's up to Forget to decide if Noah should be part of it, but it would be a really great thing. And he thinks it's great Forget was given full power, he needs to have the confidence of the players. However, he's always had it or he wouldn't be there anymore.

krystlel
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the translation Truc.

I'm sure your life feels more complete after having discovered 10sport.

Here's a summary, though, since the Poulailler is full of hardcore fans:

Interesting interview, interesting enough to make me want to comment. I hope he plays the AO, but I'm not expecting it.

I think the Christmas wish list really stuck out. :lol:

It's interesting that the knee injury actually made Simon enjoy tennis more. Of course not having that burden of expectation surely makes it easier to celebrate your victories, rather than having the mixed feelings that he said he had. But on the other hand, it's also really frustrating, that constant lingering pain that he's probably constantly wishing it'd go away when he's playing. I think playing tennis, it's very easy to get distracted with anything that happens, anything that you think is putting you off your game.

His image has completely changed within two years. He used to be seen as a talented guy and is now called laborious. He was accused of being too amateurish and now has the image of a mega serious guy. But he doesn't have the impression he's changed.
And he would know best! Simon doesn't really stick out to me as having that big dedication, the workaholic attitude. Though not the opposite either. Probably somewhere in between. I think he really needs to enjoy himself, and enjoy fighting hard in the matches.

MsTree
12-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks Fran :D

And then he says he will only play in Australia if the knee is perfectly fine and he doesn't feel any pain anymore.

Although it feels like AGES already since we last saw him play (even with rewatching the Paris Ljubo match again yesterday) this time he's got to wait until his knee's properly healed, even if it takes all year :tape:

Truc
12-31-2009, 01:40 PM
Your 85 cents have been a great investment, Nat, it earned us a post of krystlel!

I completely agree with your both comments.
I can see his point and I understand he certainly feels more in peace now to take the necessary time off to get the knee healed. But I for me would have preferred him to stop after RG, no matter how bitter it would have been at that point of the season, or at least after the USO.
Anyway, since he made this choice, I'm impressed he's been able to play knowing about this "bomb" in his knee and to even enjoy it indeed. It looked so painful each time the knee gave up on him, it would have been too much on my mind if I were him - it was, just by watching him.

turtle-rn
12-31-2009, 03:19 PM
I guess 85 cents + free professional translation is the price to pay to gain a new Simontard considering Gilles' rather weak season. :sad:

But I for me would have preferred him to stop after RG, no matter how bitter it would have been at that point of the season, or at least after the USO.
Ditto.

Cloudygirl
12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
His Christmas wish list: a new knee and an unreturnable serve at 300 km/h.

lol

lalaland
12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks Nat for getting the paper and Fran for translating it.

:lol: @ his X'mas wishes, I hope he got at least 1 out of the 2 ;)

TravelingFanGirl
12-31-2009, 10:15 PM
Awe that was a nice article! Thank you :hug: He always seems like such a great guy!
I hope Santa brought him the serve ;) & I hope his knee is recovering nicely. It was terrible to see him struggle with it so much this year.

MsTree
01-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I wonder how he got on with his MRI yesterday :tape:

Naina
01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I wonder how he got on with his MRI yesterday :tape:
I was wondering the same :scared: Hope all is well :angel:

Truc
01-02-2010, 06:39 AM
In Le Parisien:
Simon juste guéri
L’année commence bien pour Gilles Simon. Le no 15 mondial a enfin retouché une raquette après un mois et demi sans tennis pour soigner sa tendinite au genou droit. L’IRM pratiquée jeudi s’est donc révélée convaincante. Dans les allées du Tennis Club de Paris, hier après-midi, Simon avait le sourire, même s’il reste prudent. « Je n’ai fait que trente minutes et sans forcer », glisse-t-il. Désormais, le compte à rebours est lancé pour l’élève de Thierry Tulasne, dont le départ pour l’Australie est programmé samedi 7 janvier pour disputer l’exhibition d’Adélaïde (du 12 au 14).

The result of the MRI was good and he finally picked up a racquet again yesterday, but for 30 minutes of very gentle training only. He is cautious, but looked in good spirits and is apparently still supposed to leave for Australia on next Saturday.

MsTree
01-02-2010, 07:28 AM
:dance: :D:D:D Can't ask for any more than that :) Cheers Fran!

lalaland
01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks Fran.

That's good news :D. I can't wait to see him in Melbourne.

Naina
01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Awesome :banana:
Thanks Fran :D

angela5
01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the good news :D
Yay i cannot wait to see him here :bounce:

Truc
01-03-2010, 09:31 AM
More news in Le Parisien, they're thinking about skipping the AO (I would prefer that, it sounds horribly rushed to me):
ENTRE quelques balles échangées avec son Thierry Tulasne et une séance de musculation, Gilles Simon, 25 ans, a confié hier qu’il n’était pas encore certain de participer à l’Open d’Australie (du 18 au 31 janvier). Il pourrait décider de soigner totalement sa fissure au tendon sous-rotulien du genou droit qui a empoisonné la moitié de sa saison 2009 et l’a contraint au repos ces sept dernières semaines.

Vous avez repris l’entraînement comme prévu vendredi. Etes-vous satisfait ?
Gilles Simon. Oui, mais la cicatrisation a tellement bien évolué que, depuis l’IRM de jeudi, on se pose la question de savoir s’il ne faudrait pas attendre un mois de plus pour que ce soit guéri complètement. Ma cicatrice a diminué de moitié. Il ne reste plus que 6 mm de lésion. C’est une décision qu’on va devoir prendre dans les prochains jours.

Ça vaudrait effectivement le coup d’être totalement guéri, non ?
Oui, mais la question est : combien de temps ça prendrait pour disparaître ? On peut vite se retrouver au mois de mars…

Si votre présence à l’Open d’Australie n’était pas en jeu, la décision serait-elle plus facile à prendre ?
Oui, c’est vraiment parce que c’est un Grand Chelem. C’est bizarre parce que ce n’est qu’un seul tournoi. Mais je l’aime beaucoup. Donc, j’ai envie de jouer. Et puis, surtout, ne pas jouer quand on n’a pas mal est quelque chose de très difficile.

Quels éléments vont peser dans votre choix ?
Nous serions en milieu de saison, j’irais jouer sans hésiter. Comme c’est le début d’année, je me dis pourquoi ne pas commencer ma saison plus tard ? Maintenant, je reprends une demi-heure par jour, donc pour être prêt à jouer un cinq sets en Australie par 40 oC, c’est pas encore ça ! (Rires) Je vais voir comment je me sens et en fonction des petites douleurs ou non, je prendrai ma décision.

Qu’attendez-vous de 2010 ?
En 2009, j’ai énormément progressé au niveau du jeu. C’est d’ailleurs pour ça que je me pose la question de peut-être démarrer plus tard, car je vois l’exemple de Davydenko qui n’a pas joué pendant trois mois et qui termine 6e mondial. Si j’ai la chance de pouvoir recourir comme je l’ai fait avec les progrès de mon jeu, ça peut donner quelque chose de bien. C’est pour ça que ça serait bien de pouvoir commencer à 100 %…
Propos recueillis par David Opoczynski

Truc
01-03-2010, 09:50 AM
You resumed the training on Friday, how do you feel?
Good, but the healing is going so well that we've been seriously wondering since we got the MRI results on Thursday if it wouldn't be better to wait one more month so the knee would be completely fine. The scar is half as long as it used to be. The lesion is only 6 mm long now. We'll have to take a decision in the next few days.

It's worth it if it means you'd be completely fit then, isn't it?
Yes, but the question is: how long will it take to completely disappear? It could very well postpone my comeback until March...

Would the decision be easier to make if it wasn't for the Australian Open?
Definitely. It's strange, because it's just one tournament. But I like this event a lot. So I'd like to play there. And it's very difficult to decide not to play when you're not in pain anymore.

What factors are you going to take into consideration?
If we were in the middle of the season, I would play immediately. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just start the season a little bit later. I'm practicing only 30 minutes a day atm, so I'm not exactly ready yet to play best of 5 in the Australian heat! (he laughs) I'll see how I feel and I will take a decision depending on the little pains I might feel or not.

What are your expectations for 2010?
I made huge progress in my game in 2009. It also is the reason why I'm wondering if I shouldn't start my season later. I see that Davydenko didn't play during the first 3 months and still finished the season ranked 6th in the world. If I'm able to move again on the court like I used to, it can give something really nice together with the improvements in my game. That's why it would be great to be at 100% of my abilities again when I come back...

Puschkin
01-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Simon pourrait retarder sa reprise

Gilles Simon pourrait retarder sa reprise et faire l'impasse sur l'Open d'Australie pour reprendre à 100%.(EQ)
Jouer en Australie ou pas ? Dans un entretien au Parisien publié dimanche, Gilles Simon se pose clairement la question. Le 15e mondial a repris l'entraînement depuis vendredi et ne ressent plus de douleurs au genou mais une lésion de six millimètres demeure. «Comme c'est le début d'année, je me dis pourquoi ne pas commencer ma saison plus tard ?», s'interroge le protégé de Thierry Tulasne qui a repris en douceur avec une demi-heure de tennis par jour.

Compétiteur, Gilles Simon a très envie de se rendre à Melbourne, mais il a aussi très envie d'enfin pouvoir «commencer à 100%» sa saison après une année 2009 très perturbée par sa blessure. Il devrait donner sa décision dans les prochains jours.

Source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100103_120139_simon-pourrait-retarder-sa-reprise.html

L'Equipe along the same lines. If 30 minutes of tennis per day are true, I don't see him play a GS tourney in two weeks. As usual, I am strongly against playing through injuries.

MsTree
01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
He really needs to get this sorted now, no matter how long it takes. He's learned some good lessons through having this injury and he's so far along the recovery path now that it would be daft to start playing when he wasn't quite ready and run the risk of being out for longer. Captain Obvious I know :angel:
But we all know he reads this forum and sometimes a stern older woman is just thing a young man needs :devil:
Gillou :hug: we'll wait for you :)

TravelingFanGirl
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree that he should wait. I want to see him play but it would be better for him to heal completely so he doesn't struggle with it all year! :hug: for Gilles!

lalaland
01-04-2010, 06:32 AM
I'll be terribly sad if he can't play AO. But he really should wait for the whole thing to heal up before he resumes his season. It's really not worth it to delay the healing just for 1 tournament, even if it's a grand slam. C'mon Gilles, knee first and tennis later, please!

port37
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
It doesn't sound promisng that he'll be able to play a grand slam in a couple of weeks...it's really unfortunate. *sending healing powers Gilles' way*

Truc
01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
According to lequipe.fr, he will go to Australia. He leaves on Thursday to play the Adelaide exho. He will decide there if he's able to play in Melbourne:
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100105_183329_simon-part-en-australie.html

MsTree
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Would he bother going all the way to Oz if there was even half a chance he wouldn't be fit to play?
Oh well, I hope he knows what he's doing!

lalaland
01-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Now that he's going to Australia, I can't really see him not playing AO, it's against his nature to seat out a tournament unless he's not able to walk :p., count on him to not make the right decision which will require him to sit still for a prolong period of time. He's hardly preparing for any real competition, let alone to play a slam, I can't see him going far in AO, which really makes it pointless to compete since he's not ready for it. Oh well. If only there's a person in this world that is capable of taking the decision right off Gilles' hand :shrug:.

I'm terribly torn, I want him to rest and get the knee completely heal up, but I can't stand to have to wait for another month to see him play :o.

rtgy
01-05-2010, 11:31 PM
well l'm mad :mad: :fiery: he's crazy :smash: now it's time for rest WTF he's doing:confused: :(

this is the first time when I totally disagree with him:o :sad:

Truc
01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
In L'Equipe today:
Simon bon pour l’Australie...
Le Français s’envolera demain pour Adélaïde. Mais il n’y prendra aucun risque pour son genou.

D’ABORD, LA BONNE nouvelle : le genou de Gilles Simon va bien. Aucune douleur n’est venue entraver sa reprise d’entraînement, le 1er janvier dernier. Et maintenant, la mauvaise : l’organisme du Français n’a toujours pas résorbé en totalité la fissure du tendon sous-rotulien qui lui gâcha une bonne partie de la saison 2009. « En trois semaines, la lésion est passée de 11 à 6 millimètres » , précise-t-il. Super. Mais voilà, il reste six millimètres… De quoi, en théorie, le priver d’Open d’Australie. Simon s’envolera tout de même demain pour Adélaïde, où il disputera une exhibition avant de rallier Melbourne. Paradoxal ? Non, si l’on suit l’argumentaire du Français : « Il y a une différence essentielle avec l’année dernière, c’est la douleur, explique-t-il. En 2009, chaque fois que je me suis “pété” en tournoi, commeà Roland ou à l’US Open, je souffrais avant et j’étais sous anti-inflammatoires. Cette année, je pars sur une tout autre base : dès que la douleur apparaîtra, j’arrêterai. Et c’est vrai dès l’Australie : si j’ai mal à Adelaïde, je reprendrai le premier avion pour l’Europe. Mais, aujourd’hui, je n’ai pas mal, je ne porte pas de strap et je ne prends pas d’antiinflammatoires. Pour moi, la vraie question est : pourquoi ne pas y aller ? » Quart-finaliste à Melbourne l’an dernier, Simon (15e) jure n’avoir que faire de la défense de ses points ATP. Mais il admet partir down under dans un état d’esprit très particulier. « Franchement, je précipite mon retour uniquement parce que c’est un Grand Chelem, dit-il. Et je sais pertinemment que j’aurai une préparation minimale. Au total, quinze jours d’entraînement… Là, je joue au maximum une heure et quart par jour. On verra bien. Je sais qu’il n’y a aucun risque que j’aggrave la lésion. Tous les matins, je surveille s’il y a inflammation. J’estime ne pas jouer avec ma santé. Je ne suis pas débile tout de même. Je sais ce que je fais. » Prolonger son arrêt maladie ne l’assurait pas à cent pour cent d’une guérison complète. « Et ça aurait pu m’amener jusqu’à mars… ajoute-t-il. La vérité, c’est que c’est trop difficile de ne pas jouer. » – Vincent Cornet

Truc
01-06-2010, 07:51 AM
The good thing first: no pain since he resumed the training on the 1st of January. The bad one: there still is a lesion. "It went from 11 mm to 6 mm within 3 weeks", he says. Enough, in theory, to prevent him from playing in Melbourne. And yet, he will leave for Australia tomorrow. Why?
"There is a crucial difference with last year: the pain, he explains. Each time I 'did my knee in' in a tournament in 2009, like in Roland-Garros or at the US Open, I was playing through the pain and with anti-inflammatories. The initial situation will be completely different this time: as soon as I will feel pain, I will stop playing. In Australia too: if the knee hurts in Adelaide, I'll take the first plane back to Europe. But right now, I'm not in pain, I'm not wearing any knee strap and I'm not taking anti-inflammatories. The real question for me is: why not go there?"
He swears he couldn't care less about the points he has to defend in Melbourne. But: "Frankly, the only reason why I'm rushing my comeback is because it's a Slam. I know full well that I will have a minimal preparation. 2 weeks of practice in total... I'm playing at best 1 1/4 hour a day at the moment. We'll see. I know there isn't any risk to make the lesion worse. I check every morning that there isn't any inflammation. I consider I'm not jeopardizing my health. I'm not completely stupid. I know what I'm doing."
He isn't entirely sure the lesion would completely heal up if he takes more time off. "And it could postpone everything until March... The truth is that it's too difficult to not play."

MsTree
01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks Fran :)

I'm not completely stupid. I know what I'm doing.

The truth is that it's too difficult to not play.

:tape:

Puschkin
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
"I know what I'm doing."
I really hope you are right, Gilles.

rtgy
01-06-2010, 10:22 AM
thanx Fran:hug::D

The good thing first: no pain since he resumed the training on the 1st of January. The bad one: there still is a lesion. "It went from 11 mm to 6 mm within 3 weeks", he says. Enough, in theory, to prevent him from playing in Melbourne. And yet, he will leave for Australia tomorrow. Why?

yes why???????????????????????:confused:

"There is a crucial difference with last year: the pain, he explains. Each time I 'did my knee in' in a tournament in 2009, like in Roland-Garros or at the US Open, I was playing through the pain and with anti-inflammatories. The initial situation will be completely different this time: as soon as I will feel pain, I will stop playing. In Australia too: if the knee hurts in Adelaide, I'll take the first plane back to Europe. But right now, I'm not in pain, I'm not wearing any knee strap and I'm not taking anti-inflammatories. The real question for me is: why not go there?"

:cuckoo:

I'm rushing my comeback because it's a Slam.

OMG Gillou that's absolute :bs::shout:

I know full well that I will have a minimal preparation. 2 weeks of practice in total... I'm playing at best 1 1/4 hour a day at the moment. We'll see. I know there isn't any risk to make the lesion worse. I check every morning that there isn't any inflammation. I consider I'm not jeopardizing my health.

:speakles:

I'm not completely stupid.

well...........maybe not completely.............stupid, but just a little bit...:cuckoo:

I know what I'm doing.

oh yeah I'm sure you do mate......

He isn't entirely sure the lesion would completely heal up if he takes more time off. "And it could postpone everything until March... The truth is that it's too difficult to not play."

the same old story again and again:(

Gillou grow up mate;):(