"The end of the Tennis year" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"The end of the Tennis year"

out_here_grindin
09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Many people consider the US Open to be the end of the Tennis season. Enberg said that Federe ends his year with a Grand Slam win. My question is why is the Asian swing, Madrid, Paris and Shanghai all so ignored by a lot of people?

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't think it is. That is always what the early reflections gets at after the US Open is over, but then after a week everybody is set for the last tournaments of the season including the 5th most important event, obviously, TMC.

Purple Rainbow
09-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Many people consider the US Open to be the end of the Tennis season. Enberg said that Federe ends his year with a Grand Slam win. My question is why is the Asian swing, Madrid, Paris and Shanghai all so ignored by a lot of people?

I don't know, Dick Enberg is American right?

bluefork
09-09-2008, 01:23 AM
The mainstream media, at least in the U.S., thinks of it as the end of the season because they really don't cover any of the rest of the events. But tennis fans don't think of it as the end of the season, I'm sure.

Also, Dick Enberg is an idiot, so I wouldn't put much stock in anything he says.

Pras
09-09-2008, 01:25 AM
It is kinda odd, you'd think that most commentators would at least count the year-end Masters. I guess maybe they get used to counting up GS tournaments and since the year-end tournament is not a GS tournament, it gets lost in the shuffle. Gotta believe that at least the year-end Masters is important to the players though because it has very difficult entry requirements.

To the OP: Hey, don't forget about Ryan Young! 677 and on his way up!

MacTheKnife
09-09-2008, 01:26 AM
For casual fans, it is the end of the year. There are a lot of so called fans that only watch the majors. Not everyone is like us, thank God..

out_here_grindin
09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
It is kinda odd, you'd think that most commentators would at least count the year-end Masters. I guess maybe they get used to counting up GS tournaments and since the year-end tournament is not a GS tournament, it gets lost in the shuffle. Gotta believe that at least the year-end Masters is important to the players though because it has very difficult entry requirements.

To the OP: Hey, don't forget about Ryan Young! 677 and on his way up!

Clemson fan?? Yes I didn't forget him I just didn't realize he had climbed that high. Also i hope Jarmaine Jenkins can do well.

Pras
09-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Clemson fan?? Yes I didn't forget him I just didn't realize he had climbed that high. Also i hope Jarmaine Jenkins can do well.

Not quite a Clemson fan, but I got to play him in a USTA tournament a while back. He was really friendly and my dad loved him lol. I'd love to get another shot at him sometime, he said he'd keep me posted whenever he was in the area. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he does.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I may have to cheer against him in his next match because he's playing a Sri Lankan! Didn't even know we had any ranked players...

out_here_grindin
09-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I go to a lot of Clemson tennis matches. This summer I was at camp at Clemson and Ryan Yound was practicing everyday with a Thailand Davis cup member who was ranked in the 700's

Forehander
09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
It just feels like that lol. Sorta like a feeling when you are doing four hard and one easy subject. You work your butt off for your first four and they are the one that comes up first being tested. Finally after all these hard time cramming the first four subject is out of the way - HUUUUGE sign of relief. You will go back home, catch up on a HUUUUUGE sleep and then wake up later only to found out you still have one subject to go. But you'll have a totally different mindset with this exam, it's easy and it's a guaranteed pass. You'll take this one very relaxed and feels like it's non-important compared to the other four. But when you end up failing it, you realised really shouldn't have taken it too easy... oh **** :( ...

faboozadoo15
09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
I know Federer plans to play 4 or 5 more events. He has Stockholm, Madris, Basel, and Paris before the Masters...

Synthesis
09-09-2008, 03:20 AM
Dick Enberg is a senile old fool. Pay him as much attention as drooling grandpa in the old folks home.

miura
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
I like to think of the YEC just as important as the four Grand Slams.

pricdews
09-09-2008, 04:57 AM
Based on the effort Federer put forth this year in the Slams compared to the Masters Series events, I suppose it is correct to say it's probably the end of Federer's year.

brent-o
09-09-2008, 08:21 AM
I kind of agree because for me I lose a little bit of interest in the rest of the year. Especially on the women's side. I do follow Madrid, Paris, and the TMC for the men but for some reason I just don't care as much. And I'm not a casual tennis fan, I am just kind of exhausted from the happenings until the Open lol.

Venle
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
For me, tennis season ends after Masters Cup ;)

But of course the Slams are the most interesting tourneys.

EDIT: Gotta admit that usually at this time of the year I'm already waiting for AO, though.

out_here_grindin
10-18-2010, 02:40 AM
ESPN surprised me today with a prominent article about Murray ripping Federer. of course ESPN has always loved to push the Federer is done wagon but it is a good sign that a tennis article made the front page during a football weekend.

bokehlicious
10-18-2010, 09:16 AM
ESPN surprised me today with a prominent article about Murray ripping Federer. of course ESPN has always loved to push the Federer is done wagon but it is a good sign that a tennis article made the front page during a football weekend.

Federer losses still make headlines, has been so for 5 years...

Everko
10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Federer losses still make headlines, has been so for 5 years...

and rightly so

Filo V.
10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Because there are a lot of people who think the tennis tour is only about the top 4 players, and everything revolves solely around them, and around GS events. These people are not really dedicated tennis fans, they are more or less an extension of glory hunters, if not that exactly.

Timariot
10-18-2010, 10:27 PM
Because there are a lot of people who think the tennis tour is only about the top 4 players, and everything revolves solely around them, and around GS events. These people are not really dedicated tennis fans, they are more or less an extension of glory hunters, if not that exactly.

Precisely. Sadly, some well-known tennis columnists belong to this group and feed crap to their similarly clueless followers. Won't name any names, but it isn't hard to guess.

The truth is, Grand Slams are parasites which leech off the Tour.

Montego
10-19-2010, 12:31 AM
In every sport you play for some particular result. Tennis is a sport in which you play for Grand Slam titles. Slams is what around this sport is built and nothing will change it.

In ALL sports you play for a result. It is NBA final win, it is a league win or European Cup win in football, is is Super Bowl in american football etc. And most of so-called "global" sports have this play-off phase and therefore the final match of the season is the most important match of this season.

In tennis it is different - Slam final is the most important match of the season. Doesn't matter if it is AO, FO, W or USO. And USO final was the last most important match of the season.

That's why I understand that some people may lose interest after USO final. No other slam final till the rest of the year, preparations for the first most important match of the season don't start in November - they start in January.

So "after USO" part of the season might be a bit insignificatnt for a casueal tennis fan, as nothing really IMPORTANT happens till the rest of the year.

For tennis fans it is still great, but for the general public (and probably by the best players as well) - it is just an "end to an exhausting season" - "good to play well, but nothing happens if I lose"

For tennis fans - it is always good to watch players play. For the general public - it might as well not exist

Topspindoctor
10-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Bad part about after USO, there are no more slams left for the year and most good players are either burnt out, fatigued mentally/physically or simply don't give a shit. This leads to a lot of mug matches and tanking, which makes the end season less interesting. For me, I like clay+grass season, since by then most players have played themselves into shape and are still reasonably fresh, so there are a lot of good matches :yeah:

Clay Death
10-19-2010, 04:15 AM

its a long season.

fans are a little worn out from a long season. and then there is american football which is rapidly gaining popularity around the globe. that may be small factor as well.

rafa_maniac
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I have to admit my attention wanes after the US Open, too many random HC tournaments, and I'm not a big fan of tennis indoors. I'm usually already looking forward to the Oz Open by this point, but the WTF is something good to end the season on. It's a shame though that there hasn't been a legitimate battle for the top spot at the YEC during the Fedal era, I remember the tournament more fondly when Hewitt won it to claim his #1 spots.

Timariot
10-19-2010, 11:28 PM

Hmm, I might expand on this a little. Thing is, after professional tennis hit decline in USA and Western Europe in the '90s, fall season has been on somewhat perilous state. Many formerly prestigious events have been discontinued. Stuttgart tournament went kaputt and ATP had to quickly replace it with new tournament on Madrid which didn't really catch on either. ATP Championships in the '90s were major events and featured many titanic matches. After sponsor money from Europe dried up, ATP had to find new sponsors from Arabia and Asia. So they basically had to organize an Asian season from the scratch, these events are relatively new, not well estabilished, plus there aren't that many Asian top players for crowds to cheer. Meanwhile they still have to somehow maintain those European indoors events which are still viable. It's a dilemma for sure, but there is no back for the old days.

As for Dick Enberg's opinion, well, fuck him.

its a long season.
fans are a little worn out from a long season. and then there is american football which is rapidly gaining popularity around the globe. that may be small factor as well.

Uh...hard to think that NFL would factor in to that in any way. Superbowl is widely broadcasted and watched, but other than that...no.

rocketassist
10-20-2010, 12:12 AM

Well said.

Timariot
10-20-2010, 12:48 AM
For me, tennis season ends after Masters Cup ;)

Davis Cup gets no love...? :sad: