Is possible for Federer to end this year #1 ?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is possible for Federer to end this year #1 ??

sebastiagol
09-09-2008, 12:14 AM
He just won the usopen..
now there are 344 point of diference on the race with nadal..

madrid and paris gives 100 (200)
the master cup 150
basel 50
tokio (50?)

Roger needs to win everything.. and wait for nadal to loose at least at QF in the master series events..
and only one win at the master cup.

what do you think?.. roger still has chances?..

Laba
09-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Mathematically, I think there is a chance.

Realistically, nah... :p

I don't expect Rafa to bomb out early in Madrid, Masters & Shanghai.

scarecrows
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
no, he doesnt because he wont win that much
Nadal can take the rest of the year off and still top the race

Laba
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
It'd be best for you to sleep on it. :)

faboozadoo15
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Probs not ;)
Nadal would need to take some time off, and Roger would need to win most of his 5 remaining events.

What's funny is that Nadal's best year and Federer's worst year = still an open race for #1 well after the US Open. Federer usually snaps it up a lot earlier.

goldenlox
09-09-2008, 12:50 AM
Federer doesn't deserve #1 for 2008. Go back and watch the FO final again.

HNCS
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM
well,now that roger has won the US open he will go away and think of his schedule. don't be surprised if he only plays the TMC whilst uses the rest of the year to catch up on all his training and fine tuning for 2009.

Forehander
09-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Federer's like a unknown time-bomb this year -_-

gulzhan
09-09-2008, 12:57 AM
no, he doesn't because he'll never play all 4 tournaments :lol:

Acer
09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Nah, it's Nadal's year.

Kuhne
09-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Nah, Rafa will take #1 and he deserves it, who cares, Roger just showed that playing his worst tennis in years he is good enough to make 3 grand slam finals and win one of them.

His worst year is better than Andy Roddick's best year ever.

federerfan7465
09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Mathematically, sure.

What's more important is getting Slams 14 and 15 next year.

MacTheKnife
09-09-2008, 01:17 AM
It's possible, extremely unlikely, but possible.

Blarghman
09-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Yes, he could end #1, but it looks to me very difficult. If we subtract the points that each player will drop between now and the end of the season after Shanghai, the total looks like this, by my calculation.

Nadal 6075
Federer 4605
Djokovic 4375

This means that in order to get to #1, Federer would need to earn 1500 more points than Nadal over the remainder of the season, the difference of a GS win and a MS win. This could occur by winning both remaining MS and Shanghai, with Nadal earning minimum points at all events. The bigger problem for Federer is clearly Djokovic, who can catch him for #3 if he outgains him by 250 points or so, which would be the difference in a Shanghai final. Djokovic has a big advantage because he sucked at both Paris and Shanghai last year. So, even with Djokovic dropping points in New York, the chase for #2 is still on strong.

wilmar
09-09-2008, 01:31 AM
you mean "hail the new king" has no shot of being "the new #1"???!!! awwwwwww

Federer better watch his back and make sure there's no "new #2".

Del_Toro
09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
No, he hasn't any real chance this year but if he keeps playing like this, he will regain the #1 before the clay season next year.

The question is, will be Roger really interested on playing certain tournaments just for the sake of being #1 again, or will he organize his schedule just to win the Grand Slams as Sampras did at some point of his career?

dam0dred
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
It's possible but he really doesn't deserve to. Nadal was the best player of 08, plain and simple.

Bring on 09!

guga2120
09-09-2008, 01:48 AM
It's not going to happen, and it would be a joke if it did.

Sunset of Age
09-09-2008, 01:52 AM
It's not going to happen, and it would be a joke if it did.

That's nonsense. If someone, whenever, whereever during the season, manages to pick up the most of the points, then that guy is the one that deserves the #1 spot.

Not saying that I think it's in any way reasonable to think Roger will be able to manage that, btw.

Blarghman
09-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Nadal 6075
Federer 4605
Djokovic 4375

I have to correct my numbers, the Nadal total should be 6325, meaning that it is even harder than I first said. This means that even if Nadal gets 0 points from Shanghai, and loses first round in Madrid and Paris, with Roger winning all three events undefeated, Fed would still not catch Nadal. So basically, long story short, as other have said, the answer is basically no.

wilmar
09-09-2008, 02:15 AM
If that's the case, we should have Nadal being officially announced as the year-end #1 really soon?

Blarghman
09-09-2008, 02:26 AM
If that's the case, we should have Nadal being officially announced as the year-end #1 really soon?

No, because the mathematical possibility still remains. My above numbers didn't count the smaller tournaments, which could have a big effect, but I'm not sure how many each will play, so it's hard to compute. If, for example, Nadal lost every match the rest of the year, and Federer wins both MS and Shanghai, and also any one other event, (I believe the only other ones he's planning are Stockholm and Basel) Federer could get #1. By the end of Madrid would be the earliest I could see it being official. However, it is not really reasonable to assume Nadal will lose every match for the rest of the year, so it is basically over for Fed, with the focus switching to defending #2 from Nole.

Warrior
09-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Right now its about fighting to keep his current ranking. Djoke is not too far behind.

Sunset of Age
09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Right now its about fighting to keep his current ranking. Djoke is not too far behind.

Yep. Roger would have lost his #2 ranking if he'd lost to Djoko at the USO semifinals - very close indeed.
Fortunately, with Djoko not having made it to the final, the gap has become a little bit bigger though.

JolánGagó
09-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Why isn't this delusional and meaningless thread merged with the other one with practically the same title?

Peoples
09-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Only if someone shot Nadal, any volunteers?

Thanos
09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
No... no chance at all.

Action Jackson
09-09-2008, 08:33 AM
15 Slams more important than someone bullshit end of year #1 moniker.

Venle
09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Not likely.

Maybe next year :p

DDrago2
09-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Federer doesn't deserve #1 for 2008. Go back and watch the FO final again.

In that match it was clearly shown that Nadal is a much better player than Federer ;)

madmax
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
well I don't believe he really gives a jack about the ranking now...clearly he's only after Slams and he usually plays his best tennis and cares only in these tourneys. Anyway, if he will keep coming back to JesusFed mode, he is gonna overtake moonbaleer early next year.

Burrow
09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
you mean "hail the new king" has no shot of being "the new #1"???!!! awwwwwww

Federer better watch his back and make sure there's no "new #2".

Shut the fuck up

ShimSham
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
:haha:

rafa_maniac
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yep. Roger would have lost his #2 ranking if he'd lost to Djoko at the USO semifinals - very close indeed.
Fortunately, with Djoko not having made it to the final, the gap has become a little bit bigger though.

Yikes, that's the first time I realised that. Amazing to think just a few months ago all that fuss was made about Nadal needing to beat Djokovic to retain his #2 spot, now here we are with Rafa safely ahead in 1st and it is Fed fighting to retain HIS #2 ranking. Seems mighty strange, perhaps because people haven't really been discussing the battle over #2 all that much, most of the focus has been on Nadal taking #1.

Anyway, in answer to the original question, it would literally take Federer winning everything and Nadal bombing out early everywhere for this to occur, even with their most extremely opposite end of year results in 06 this was not the case. In my own opinion I think Federer has reached the age, like Sampras did, and been on the tour dominating long enough, that he no longer has the mental drive to compete week in week out at every tournament, major or not, treating each as if they were the same, in order to hold that top ranking, at least not for any extended length of time. This has pretty much been shown all this year, Federer is still a fantastic player, a force to be reckoned with in Slams, he's aiming for that record and will most likely make it, but outside of that, his results will probably continue to slide until he retires.

Matt01
09-09-2008, 07:15 PM
well I don't believe he really gives a jack about the ranking now...clearly he's only after Slams and he usually plays his best tennis and cares only in these tourneys. Anyway, if he will keep coming back to JesusFed mode, he is gonna overtake moonbaleer early next year.

Which moonballer? :shrug:

Black Adam
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Nah, Rafa will take #1 and he deserves it, who cares, Roger just showed that playing his worst tennis in years he is good enough to make 3 grand slam finals and win one of them.

Your blind hatred of Roddick continues, affecting your ability to produce logical and well rounded arguments.

Roddick's best year was 2003 whilst Federer worst year was 1999. Unless you mean when Federer had started performing well at the majors, it would mean that 2003 was his worst year, a year in which he still finished behind Roddick. Those are facts. Next time, try to use valid information. We don't need another one who repeats false information for trolling purposes; this board has a lot of guys like that.

Merton
09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Mathematically yes, realistically no. I just prefer Roger to forget about the ranking at this point, the important thing is to win 2 more slams.