Europe vs USA in Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Europe vs USA in Tennis

SectionX
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Looks like Europe is unstoppable now. When was the last time a US male player won a slam?

And soon Federer > Sampras for best ever :devil:

bokehlicious
09-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Gaudio is the last non European, and Roddick the last American...

Chrisilson
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
The US always has the Williams sisters........................................... .................................................. .....................................

Steelq
09-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Europe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of the world tenniswise

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
So, we are comparing a whole continent versus a whole country now?

SectionX
09-09-2008, 12:04 AM
The US always has the Williams sisters........................................... .................................................. .....................................

who cares abot them. This is male tennis only.

Laba
09-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I think it's a little unfair that the whole continent is compared to a single nation... but eh, most of the results still wouldn't favor America anyway. :p

Chrisilson
09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
who cares abot them. This is male tennis only.

Do you not know that an extra long elipsis is internet language for sarcasm?

mariyella80
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Europeans have ALWAYS been BETTER, Americans had PETE SAMPRAS and that's it, who cares about connors and mcnore and I dont know.....in the modern era there's been Edberg/wilander( sweden), Becker (germany), Lendl (czech), Guga (Brazil),Federer ( swiss), Nadal (spanish) alot of other spanish players doing well, the French are doing well, Argentines....American tennis is in the DUMPS; they dont even give the sport enough coverage to INSPIRE those on American soil to WANT to play PRO TENNIS (unless u have tennis channel which means you're a FAN of the game regardless of where the player comes from)....and ESPN commentators are so BIASED with which games they show.....Patrick/john talking about how RODDICK is playing his best tennis:bs:...AND he wouldnt even have a grand slam if they didnt F -up the schedule in '03 where Ferrero had no days off going into the FINAL.....

mariyella80
09-09-2008, 12:19 AM
one more thing they dont even GIVE the WILLIAMS sister's enough credit for what they do, they seem PISSED that they dont play enough tennis and then they are able to come into a grand slam and WIN....americans are WEIRD!!!!

out_here_grindin
09-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Europeans have ALWAYS been BETTER, Americans had PETE SAMPRAS and that's it, who cares about connors and mcnore and I dont know.....in the modern era there's been Edberg/wilander( sweden), Becker (germany), Lendl (czech), Guga (Brazil),Federer ( swiss), Nadal (spanish) alot of other spanish players doing well, the French are doing well, Argentines....American tennis is in the DUMPS; they dont even give the sport enough coverage to INSPIRE those on American soil to WANT to play PRO TENNIS (unless u have tennis channel which means you're a FAN of the game regardless of where the player comes from)....and ESPN commentators are so BIASED with which games they show.....Patrick/john talking about how RODDICK is playing his best tennis:bs:...AND he wouldnt even have a grand slam if they didnt F -up the schedule in '03 where Ferrero had no days off going into the FINAL.....

Brazil and Argentina joined the EU??

MacTheKnife
09-09-2008, 12:20 AM

You want um, you can have um. (no sarcasm)

Chip_s_m
09-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Swedish tennis has 2 players in the top 100...just saying :p.

thelionrose
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
one more thing they dont even GIVE the WILLIAMS sister's enough credit for what they do, they seem PISSED that they dont play enough tennis and then they are able to come into a grand slam and WIN....americans are WEIRD!!!!

Amen!

El Legenda
09-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Looks like Europe is unstoppable now. When was the last time a US male player won a slam?

Switzerland > rest of the world

tennis2tennis
09-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I think it's a little unfair that the whole continent is compared to a single nation... but eh, most of the results still wouldn't favor America anyway. :p

OK we'll give u canada as well :devil:making it north american continent Vs europe

Jimnik
09-09-2008, 03:21 AM
Good that there's no Ryder Cup equivalent in tennis.

Snoo Foo
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
When was the last time a US male player won a slam?

Three days ago. And there were two of them. :haha:

ToniTennis
09-09-2008, 04:42 PM

Are you for real? Didn't they teach you some geography back in school?

USA and Europe are totally comparable on this issue but never mind, just throw in the rest of the Americas if you like...

camnation
09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
OK we'll give u canada as well :devil:making it north american continent Vs europe
Hey hey hey, no fair man! :sad:

kalisita
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM

I agree with those sentiment. I hate when people act like Europe is a country with one people who all get along and think everyone is equal.

Roddick won the USO in 2003. Since then a Swiss man, a Russian, a Spaniard, and a Serbian have won slams. That's 4 people from 4 individual countries. That means plenty of European nations aren't doing squat.

And at least Roddick won our home slam in 2003. We're doing so much better than France, Australia, and the UK. :)

bokehlicious
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Well, let's make it tighter and add Mexico to the list :rocker2: :o :p

Bilbo
09-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Europe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rest of the world tenniswise

hardly surprising as tennis is a european sport

tangerine_dream
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
You're just in time for the 2008 Arse Clown contest.

Zolka
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Guys in the States, don't worry, it's just a matter of time before a special one will rise. Look at that little fella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDr_EX3Kt8
(Jan Silva would triple bagel him, but still, not bad) :D Seriously, i think the Harrison's have a real shot to make an impact in the future. It's hard to tell right know though, they're too young. With that said, there were two 15 years old player who won a match at ATP events, Nadal and Gasquet. That's not a bad sign for Ryan.

I just can't see the americans go slamless in the 10's. How many people plays tennis there? A loooooot. There is just too much talent, this generation maybe can't live up to the expectations, (they still very good tough, Andy won a major, Blake is also a really good player), but it's hard for them, because their being compared to a much talented 90's generation, Pete, Andre, or even to Jim Courrier. American tennis will be just fine.

valexie03
09-10-2008, 03:48 PM

Hey hey hey, no fair man! :sad:

Mexico is indeed in North America ;) but please leave Canada out of this discussion eh? http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Confus/xrougi3.gif

MisterQ
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Americans had PETE SAMPRAS and that's it, who cares about connors and mcnore and I dont know.....

Say what?!! :eek:

.Patrick/john talking about how RODDICK is playing his best tennis:bs:...AND he wouldnt even have a grand slam if they didnt F -up the schedule in '03 where Ferrero had no days off going into the FINAL.....

Perhaps it's a discussion that belongs elsewhere.. but Roddick was the best hardcourt player of the second half of '03. He outplayed Ferrero comprehensively. It wasn't even close.

FerrersLinda
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Why don't we just give them the whole of Central America:shrug::p

It would help if they learn to play on clay.

Bazooka
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
I easily see this thread reaching 50 pages.

To add more fuel, if tennis in North America realy is so poor, and nobody cares about it anymore, and really it can be scheduled with permission of other sports in the USA (Miami, US Open), why does North America lead the list of top events? 4 AMS and 1 Slam is undeserved. Give 1 AMS to Germany, another to South America, and the Slam to Spain.

thrust
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM

Idiotic post! Whether you like it or not, Connors 8, Slams, Andre^s 8, Mc Enroe^s 7 and Couriers 4 Slams DO count. Edberg and Wilander together do not even equal Pete^s total! Today,American tennis is in decline but hopefully that will change soon. Congrats to Europe for finally catching up!

s

Black Adam
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
If you are going to compare Continents make it interesting: America vs Europe vs Ocean(mainly Australia). I assume that we are counting past players as well??

out_here_grindin
09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I easily see this thread reaching 50 pages.

To add more fuel, if tennis in North America realy is so poor, and nobody cares about it anymore, and really it can be scheduled with permission of other sports in the USA (Miami, US Open), why does North America lead the list of top events? 4 AMS and 1 Slam is undeserved. Give 1 AMS to Germany, another to South America, and the Slam to Spain.

US Open = #1 most attended event in sports. Gets your facts straight.

And to the author, how about Agassi?

zicofirol
09-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Europeans have ALWAYS been BETTER, Americans had PETE SAMPRAS and that's it, who cares about connors and mcnore and I dont know.....in the modern era there's been Edberg/wilander( sweden), Becker (germany), Lendl (czech), Guga (Brazil),Federer ( swiss), Nadal (spanish) alot of other spanish players doing well, the French are doing well, Argentines....
:o
yikes... who cares about connors and "mcnore"??? there's this guy called agassi, some other named courier... and quite a few other slam winners...

FiBeR
09-11-2008, 01:41 AM

ive coloured the continents in different colours to give you guys a hint of what are the world's continents

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Continentes.png

some posters REALLY need to go back to third grade and check a world map :lol:

FiBeR
09-11-2008, 01:44 AM
I agree with those sentiment. I hate when people act like Europe is a country with one people who all get along and think everyone is equal.

Roddick won the USO in 2003. Since then a Swiss man, a Russian, a Spaniard, and a Serbian have won slams. That's 4 people from 4 individual countries. That means plenty of European nations aren't doing squat.

And at least Roddick won our home slam in 2003. We're doing so much better than France, Australia, and the UK. :)

you seem to forget an argentine won 2004 Roland Garros having 3/4 SFist from that country :wavey: but then again, it is not important to your point i guess.. :lol:

MisterQ
09-11-2008, 01:47 AM
How about Europe vs. Delaware? That would be awesome.

Snoo Foo
09-11-2008, 02:20 AM
ive coloured the continents in different colours to give you guys a hint of what are the world's continents

(a) :woohoo: North & South America reunited! And it feels so good!

(b) But why did you make Africa black? :(

Hendu
09-11-2008, 02:42 AM

"North America and South America are now treated as separate continents in much of Western Europe, India, China, and most native English-speaking countries, such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand[citation needed]. Furthermore, the concept of two American continents is prevalent in much of Asia. However, in earlier times they were viewed as a single continent known as America. From the 19th century some people used the term "Americas" to avoid ambiguity with the United States of America. The plurality of this last term suggests that even in the 19th century some considered the New World (the Americas) as two separate continents. North and South America are viewed as a single continent, one of six in total, in some parts of Europe, and much of Latin America"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continents

MisterQ
09-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Speaking purely geographically (not culturally), I don't understand why one would view North and South America as one united continent, but Europe as a separate continent from Asia. Ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference, I suppose...

Snoo Foo
09-11-2008, 02:54 AM
There are really only 3 continents:
1. Us
2. Them
3. Those other dudes

FiBeR
09-11-2008, 03:13 AM
(a) :woohoo: North & South America reunited! And it feels so good!

(b) But why did you make Africa black? :(

:lol: actually it was just an expression, I kind of googled the map :p

as far as i recall..africa is called the black continent :shrug:

"North America and South America are now treated as separate continents in much of Western Europe, India, China, and most native English-speaking countries, such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand[citation needed]. Furthermore, the concept of two American continents is prevalent in much of Asia. However, in earlier times they were viewed as a single continent known as America. From the 19th century some people used the term "Americas" to avoid ambiguity with the United States of America. The plurality of this last term suggests that even in the 19th century some considered the New World (the Americas) as two separate continents. North and South America are viewed as a single continent, one of six in total, in some parts of Europe, and much of Latin America"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continents

:p :wavey: socially you may be right. Geographically it is known as America.. separated in 3 blocks, North, Central and South America

If you want to go deeper to Pangea, Actually North and South America are really 2 tectonic blocks separated but united by the Andes Mountain Chain (therefore it makes sense to call it ONE continent, since it is united.. ) which is the contrast of the techtonic plaquet under the soil you stand in..

If you would research deeper than a wikipedia article (which is good) -im using my memory :shrug: - you could find that the reason why continents are called in a way or another is because of the tectonic plaque they re under (im not sure it is called plaque in english or if that's even a word :lol:)

Originally all continents were part of a big mass of rock called pangea, which over the billions of years this earth has gone through , separated and are placed where they re now.. but they re still moving (i.e. earthquakes and volcanic activity is proof of it)

The only trully continent divided purely socially is Eurasia tectonic plaque.. because of its history .. From the Urals to the west, it's called Europe , from the Urals to the right, Asia

but it is trully 1 plaque.. America is a whole, :p

but, you know, what do i know? english speaking countries in general tend to use "inches" and "miles" when the rest of the western civilized world (or at least most of western countries) use MKS..

If you guys are teaching other stuff then fine with me :lol: i learned it the other way :rolls:

6 continents.. 5 (africa, america, asia, europe, oceania) + antartica

btw.. isnt it obvious why "USA" is called America? just taking the last word of the name "united states of america".. ive always disliked how people called "america" to a country which is only refeering to some states inside the continent that are united.. like taking the whole name for a part of it :lol: (different subject)

Speaking purely geographically (not culturally), I don't understand why one would view North and South America as one united continent, but Europe as a separate continent from Asia. Ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference, I suppose...

that is culturally.. but then again, you re talking about thousands of years of culture.. vs .. well,.. 400 years (cos all culture that existed in america was wiped out :lol:)

^^

Hendu
09-11-2008, 03:27 AM
If you guys are teaching other stuff then fine with me :lol: i learned it the other way :rolls:

6 continents.. 5 (africa, america, asia, europe, oceania) + antartica

Thats all I wanted to add to the topic, after you told people to go back to third grade.

In most of the world, South and North America are viewed as two continents.

There are many criterias to divide the world in continents.

Chiseller
09-11-2008, 03:28 AM
Wow, this thread is so utterly stupid, but this just tops everything!

:worship:

DartMarcus
09-11-2008, 06:58 AM
What about Europe vs. UFO???

leng jai
09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Spain > the universe. Anybody with a clue would know why

FiBeR
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
ok so we have from 5 to 7 continents according to Wikipedia , taught in the world depending on your geographic "learning" zone :p

:p I took for granted people would teach universally this basic kind of stuff :rolleyes: like.. why would people choose to teach in different countries the number of continents in a different way :spit: we live in a wacky world

I apologize for that :lol: my bad I expected we guys got to be taught this basic stuff universally..

should have suspected the british empire was behind this :lol: they always have other ways of measuring stuff.. even driving :lol:

tangerine_dream
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I could play solitaire on my computer all day long and it still wouldn't have wasted as much of my time as reading this thread did.

Black Adam
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Continentes.png

A few queries: If Russia is in Europe why is half of it considered Asia? By the Way, Socially and Economically speaking, North America is its own Continent.

MusicMyst
09-11-2008, 04:34 PM
How about Europe vs. Delaware? That would be awesome.

Federer def. Biden, 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 (same scoreline as Palin v. Biden). :devil:

r2473
09-11-2008, 04:58 PM

A short course in MTF "Truth and Logic":

1) The current tennis era = Europe is the dominant tennis power.

2) The current tennis era = the "Mug Era".

3) Europe is the dominant tennis power = the "Mug Era".

Thank you all for attending MTF logic class. Tomorrow we will try to tackle MTF geography.

Snoo Foo
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I could play solitaire on my computer all day long and it still wouldn't have wasted as much of my time as reading this thread did.

I learned at least one exciting new thing, Lucho, Chucho, Willy, Schwank, Chela, Gonzo, Gumy, Zabaleta, Gato, Sabatini, Pablo Cuevas, Thiago Alves, Guga etc. are all from the same continent as me :yeah:

PiggyGotRoasted
09-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Europe has Oscar Hernandez, so can't not be the best.