Will Federer Be Number 1 Again Next Year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Federer Be Number 1 Again Next Year?

juja_06
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Opinions please.

EnriqueIG8
09-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah I think he can.

ClaudiuS
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes, he will.

lina_seta
09-08-2008, 11:38 PM
yes he def can.
i dont see nadal being able to defend all these points..
and fed is slowly making progress away from mono

swebright
09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
He can pick up a lot of points at other tournaments, but still has to perform at very high level at slams. Nadal has to dfend a lot.

But I don't think it can happen until after ?Wimbledon. May be.

Mohammad
09-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Will Federer Be Number 1 Again Next Year?:zzz::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

FedFan
09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
He has to wait a little bit longer, I guess. But for me it is more important, that Roger continues to win slams. :)

Albop
09-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Hopefully

But slams are more important right now.

cocrcici
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
No

neme6
09-08-2008, 11:50 PM
yes he will, in the spring probably. After Miami!

tennisfan444
09-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Yes

Auscon
09-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Yep, plenty of points to gain throughout the year

Dirk
09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
It all depends on how Roger does this fall. He has lots of points to defend and if he can defend most of them then yes he can be number one again but Nadal might have to lose early in Oz for it to happen before RG.

mashamaniac
09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Juja_06,are you in the mood to make many threads tonight!?

Art&Soul
09-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes of course and Nadull will be number 2 again :devil:

Wolbo
09-09-2008, 12:00 AM
I'd say that's 50/50 but I'm sure he cares much more about winning two more GS's.

FNT
09-09-2008, 12:01 AM
It's possible, but it's a 50-50 if you ask me. Rafa should have a weak AO, and Roger should win it. If he can keep up his current form at the least, things might get interesting around Wimbledon 09.
On the other hand, a year ago (and after Shanghai), would you believe it if somebody told you Roger would be No.2 after losing to Roddick, Fish, Blake and Simon? Predictions are useless.

HarryMan
09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I think he most likely will as Rafa wont be winning another tournament till the clay court season begins next year, his chances look very bright at the moment :)

scarecrows
09-09-2008, 12:05 AM
no, but if he wins a slam I'll be happy

Merton
09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Who cares? I sure hope Roger doesn't.

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
He does have a chance. I think he will at some point in the year but perhaps not for long.

faboozadoo15
09-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Perhaps next spring. I really hope more than anything that this US Open title rejuvenates him to get back to his old form heading into the Aus Open and the hardcourt swing that he's underperformed in recently.

habibko
09-09-2008, 12:54 AM
the question should be: can Nadal have another season like this one? my answer is no :)

yes, Fed will definitely take the #1 next year if not this year :o

Laba
09-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Probably, but it won't be for another long streak.

I don't think Rafa can defend all his points from this season, and Fed has a lot to gain.

Sunset of Age
09-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Fed has a lot of points to pick up during 2009 - if he manages to keep up his current flow & confidence - I give him a very good chance of doing so. But I for one never disputed that at all.

Del_Toro
09-09-2008, 01:51 AM
If he really want it and keeps playing like he did in this USO I don't see anybody stopping Federer from being #1 once again.
But I feel that Roger will focus exclusively on winning the Big Ones not paying too much attention to the rankings.

PlayOnClay
09-09-2008, 02:34 AM
I don't think he wants to feel the pressure of being number one again. Instead of having to defend points, he can concentrate on winning more GS'S.

Synthesis
09-09-2008, 02:48 AM
I predict he'll get it back in Dubai 2009.

Synthesis
09-09-2008, 02:51 AM
If he really want it and keeps playing like he did in this USO I don't see anybody stopping Federer from being #1 once again.
But I feel that Roger will focus exclusively on winning the Big Ones not paying too much attention to the rankings.

I think Sampras' 286 weeks at #1 is an important record for Roger. However he has time to get the last 50 weeks he needs, he doesn't need to compromise himself to get it all in one shot. He can do it over the next 3-4 years.

martin85
09-09-2008, 03:01 AM
yes...why not....

BigJohn
09-09-2008, 03:13 AM
the question should be: can Nadal have another season like this one? my answer is no :)

Spot-on right there.

Nadal having another run like he had this year? Unlikely.

All that while Federer was having a disaster-abysmall-shouldretire-willneverwinatournamentagain year, according to some fine connaisseurs... Still a mighthy fine year when you look at it but that is only my opinion.

Should Federer have a slightly better record next year in important matchs, which is likely, he'll be #1 or close to it.

switz
09-09-2008, 03:17 AM
i think he's got larger priorities than being number 1 now but if he stays focused i think there's a good chance it will be close race for number 1 by the middle of next year given how much Nadal has coming off.

kobulingam
09-09-2008, 03:26 AM
Q. An argument could be made that you had the mono early on and it's taken you all this time really to fully recover. Do you think that's possible?

ROGER FEDERER: Possibly. I mean, I didn't feel like I was moving all that great still, you know, for the last couple of months. I thought it was okay, you know. I think I was okay on clay and on grass. Then when I came back to hardcourts, I think just my coordination was missing a little bit, because first of all, I haven't played on hardcourt for a while, and usually that comes back quite automatically, without me having to force the issue. But I didn't feel like it was all that great moving, especially in Cincy and Toronto.

I think there were some good moments at times, occasionally, as well as the Olympic Games. And I think here as the tournament went on, I started to feel like I was moving better and better. I think that was a good sign for me, and that also gave me a lot of confidence being able to know I could play defense and offense, because sometimes I just had the feeling I had to play offense because my defense was just not acceptable in my standpoint.

nastoff
09-09-2008, 03:34 AM
It will take a while, Nadal is more of a certainty nowadays to win another RG than Fed to win Wimbledon or even the US Open. He needs a strong end of the season - lots of points to defend still - and a good start of the next with the Aussie Open win and also points from the early Masters series. It's possible but unless Rafa's form collapses overnight it'll take several months at the least.
And two great games in New York don't mean that he's definitely back for good, he needs to sustain that kind of form for a while to be considered for the no 1 again.

crude oil
07-13-2009, 12:29 AM
hello.

superslam77
07-13-2009, 01:32 AM
hello.

:haha:

superslam77
07-13-2009, 01:34 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

habibko
07-13-2009, 01:43 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

that post kinda sounded like TheRAFA, but the difference is I was right ;)

superslam77
07-13-2009, 01:48 AM

:worship:

Just like when some :mad: gives me red cards for being :crazy:, the only difference is i'm joking and having fun and they're not :p

theRAFA,NadalSharapova and his minions really mean it :speakles:

crude oil
07-13-2009, 03:16 AM
Federer will win whatever Nadal allows him to win, it is like the Sampras-Agassi matchup where Sampras controlled their destiny. This Nadal-Federer matchup is even more one-sided though.

rafa is a fantastic human being. how generous of him to let federer win 15 slams.

:D

vamosinator
07-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Federer winning RG and the 15 slams allowed Nadal to say he OWNS the so-called GOAT, whereas if Sampras or Laver was the GOAT it would be hard for Nadal to establish domination over them (as one can never accurately compare eras). So the more Federer won in Nadal's absence this year the better for Nadal's legacy.

habibko
07-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Federer winning RG and the 15 slams allowed Nadal to say he OWNS the so-called GOAT, whereas if Sampras or Laver was the GOAT it would be hard for Nadal to establish domination over them (as one can never accurately compare eras). So the more Federer won in Nadal's absence this year the better for Nadal's legacy.

LOL so Nadal's legacy only depends on how great Fed's legacy is? poor Rafa, it's his destiny to stay in Fed's shadow :sad:

you should realize that you are undermining Nadal's achievements by saying stuff like that.

DJ Soup
07-13-2009, 05:14 AM

Federer's career > Nadal's career

That's the way it is son

tea
07-13-2009, 05:43 AM
He will lose No.1 on retirement, so yes, of course, he will.

Life will continue in 3-4 years. Not that much to wait left, rafafans.:D

BigJohn
07-13-2009, 06:01 AM

Well, "the more", that would be Wimbledon, the only tournament Fed won while Nadal's out. And it is hardly a surprise that Fed won Wimbledon, 5 victories and 6 straight finals going in. How does that have an impact on Nadal's legacy?

Nadal going from -7 to -9 in the slam count vs Federer, losing in the 4th round at RG, Federer winning 3 out of 4 GS, 2 with Nadal in the draw losing before the final, all this makes Nadal' legacy look good?

vamosinator
07-13-2009, 06:55 AM
'Nadal defeats the GOAT again' - that sounds much better than saying 'Nadal defeats Federer again'. "GOAT" has a great ring to it, and that is why Nadal's absence only helped his own legacy. The domination does make sense, as Nadal will be the youngest ever owner of the Career Grand Slam.

crude oil
07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
hopefully nadal will absent for a really long time for his legacy's sake

habibko
07-13-2009, 08:03 AM
hopefully nadal will absent for a really long time for his legacy's sake

LMAO :haha:

chenx15
07-13-2009, 09:29 AM

you're point doesn't make sense at all. Nadal being absent doesn't help his legacy it makes him look like a loser for not bing able get into the finals.

vamosinator
07-13-2009, 09:33 AM
No, just long enough for Federer to be the GOAT, and that time is up. Now back to reality of Nadal owning all surfaces. The most incredible lack of acknowledgement has been that Nadal is the best hardcourt player in the world. The Olympic Gold on a hardcourt even faster than US Open, and then the Australian Open. How awkward would it be for the doubters when both of Nadal's slams of 2009 will be hardcourt, and certainly a very good chance at Aus Open 2010.

ballbasher101
07-13-2009, 09:36 AM
It is simple really, if you do well in the majors your ranking stays up there. Federer plays well in the majors so I fancy him to be No 1 next year as well. 2010 is going to be very interesting since Federer will be a father.

vamosinator
07-13-2009, 09:36 AM
you're point doesn't make sense at all. Nadal being absent doesn't help his legacy it makes him look like a loser for not bing able get into the finals.

If Federer never won RG he would not have been the definitive GOAT. It was important for reputations sake that Nadal struggled at RG so Federer could get the GOAT title. This allows Nadal's legend to grow, as he is dominating the GOAT, thus adding to Nadal's legacy as he affirms that he faced the greatest competition in tennis history on the way to his Career Grand Slam and subsequent slam domination.

ballbasher101
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
No, just long enough for Federer to be the GOAT, and that time is up. Now back to reality of Nadal owning all surfaces. The most incredible lack of acknowledgement has been that Nadal is the best hardcourt player in the world. The Olympic Gold on a hardcourt even faster than US Open, and then the Australian Open. How awkward would it be for the doubters when both of Nadal's slams of 2009 will be hardcourt, and certainly a very good chance at Aus Open 2010.

Rafa will not win the 2009 US open, mark my words.

vamosinator
07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Rafa will not win the 2009 US open, mark my words.

Your post is well and truly marked into my collection :wavey: thanks

chenx15
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
If Federer never won RG he would not have been the definitive GOAT. It was important for reputations sake that Nadal struggled at RG so Federer could get the GOAT title. This allows Nadal's legend to grow, as he is dominating the GOAT, thus adding to Nadal's legacy as he affirms that he faced the greatest competition in tennis history on the way to his Career Grand Slam and subsequent slam domination.

what? seriously... you better share whatever you're smoking.

MatchFederer
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM

Exactly my thoughts :lol:. Are you his brother?

theprodigy
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
^they're one and the same moron

MatchFederer
07-13-2009, 11:11 AM
^they're one and the same moron

Of course, of course.

Federer&Hingis
07-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes of course and Nadull will be number 2 again :devil:

No , I think Nadull will be number 3 or 4. :devil:

kobulingam
07-13-2009, 03:18 PM
yes he def can.
i dont see nadal being able to defend all these points..
and fed is slowly making progress away from mono

I think this is the key and is something that will cause others to laugh at (because they have no clue).

There is no way he is fully over it. He will have up and down days for a long time, but the down days will become less frequent. In the last 12 months he's been having a lot of colds/fevers which are post mono symptoms. In half of his post match interviews I can notice cold symptoms (stuffed runnny nose, red face, sore throat).

I don't think he is back 100% yet. And the mono is what triggered his back problems, I'm sure of it. For almost 18 months after I got mono, every ache pain in my body was amplified and old pains I had crept back.

MatchFederer
07-13-2009, 03:35 PM
I think this is the key and is something that will cause others to laugh at (because they have no clue).

There is no way he is fully over it. He will have up and down days for a long time, but the down days will become less frequent. In the last 12 months he's been having a lot of colds/fevers which are post mono symptoms. In half of his post match interviews I can notice cold symptoms (stuffed runnny nose, red face, sore throat).

I don't think he is back 100% yet. And the mono is what triggered his back problems, I'm sure of it. For almost 16 months after I got mono, every ache pain in my body was amplified and old pains I had crept back.

Interesting. I often felt that Federer seems that way in a lot of post match pressers/interviews but I can't remember any pre mono to make any real comparison. For sure he was suffering on many occasions during 2008.