Djokovic hasn't won a title since May [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic hasn't won a title since May

Johnny Groove
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Not to say he sucks, but it seems to me that he can beat the mugs easily but when it comes to the big boys, he can't get it done.

Since he won Rome, he's lost four times to Nadal, twice to Murray, and just in the semis vs. Federer.

Is he a notch below?

Henry Kaspar
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Not to say he sucks, but it seems to me that he can beat the mugs easily but when it comes to the big boys, he can't get it done.

Since he won Rome, he's lost four times to Nadal, twice to Murray, and just in the semis vs. Federer.

Is he a notch below?

Didn't he wipe the floor with Nadal in Cincinatti?

Laba
09-08-2008, 10:30 PM
He went on to lose to Murray though, so no title there. Plus he couldn't back it up in Beijing. I think Djokovic will up his game for the next two Masters events though, going deep in both and probably winning one.

Okonsky
09-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Like others from the top he could play in smaller tournaments and win title or two but (good for mentioning may) in may they made a decision - shedule for Novak till the end of year is: G. Slams, masters and Bangkok.

As for no titles since may, well he is not last years Novak. Hope he will be soon.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 10:52 PM
he won a challenger after wimbledon. u just dont know about it

MIMIC
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Bronze Medal?

miura
09-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Is he a notch below?

He is faaaaaaaaaaar below.

El Legenda
09-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Blaze a dumbass since March of 2006.

Garson007
09-09-2008, 12:09 AM
He was on the up and then... Nadal. STOP.

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 12:15 AM
You could say the same thing about Federer until today.

In short, your theory is just to put Nadal once again at the very top of your own pedestal.

zqloy
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Poor thing. Getting his ass kicked by the Fed, Rafa and Murray...

tennizen
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
:rolls: This resembles those Nadal hasn't won a title since 7 months type of thing. Long gone are those days:sad: Is it burn out? Is it his playing style. Is he being greedy playing too many tournaments?:rolls:

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Poor thing. Getting his ass kicked by the Fed, Rafa and Murray...

He's still holding Australian Open.

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM

Is he a notch below?

Perhaps he has less of the extra factors but his mental strength has seen him ascend and make more of his talent than Murray thus far, who is still without a major. Right now he is probably the 4th best player in the world but i expect him to come out with fire in his belly in the upcoming TMS events.

~Maya~
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Didn't we have a tread in March this year (or something like that) saying Nadal didn't win a title since July 2007? That got Nadal really mad it seems. He went ballistic with the racket

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Gio, i was thinking that. :D

EDIT: By the way Blaze, you could change your avatar now just "The number 1" or something. Just a thought.

Johnny Groove
09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Didn't he wipe the floor with Nadal in Cincinatti?

So he beat Nadal once, good for him.

What about the 7 other times he lost to Murray/Nadal/Fed since May?

Johnny Groove
09-09-2008, 12:38 AM
:rolls: This resembles those Nadal hasn't won a title since 7 months type of thing. Long gone are those days:sad: Is it burn out? Is it his playing style. Is he being greedy playing too many tournaments?:rolls:

Didn't we have a tread in March this year (or something like that) saying Nadal didn't win a title since July 2007? That got Nadal really mad it seems. He went ballistic with the racket

Yeah, except Nadal went on a no title spree on his worst surface. When it came to clay and grass, he sweeped house.

But for Djokovic, NA hardcourt are where he is supposed to do extremely well.

Gio, i was thinking that. :D

EDIT: By the way Blaze, you could change your avatar now just "The number 1" or something. Just a thought.

Nah, it would make it smaller :awww:

Albop
09-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Blaze a dumbass since March of 2006.

lol

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah, except Nadal went on a no title spree on his worst surface. When it came to clay and grass, he sweeped house.

Wait and see! Nadal was a clay surface wonder on his first 3 years as number 2 and took WB when Fed does'nt care.

Nole, is just in semis of all slams being number 3 and won AO.
Give Nole a couple of more years and we'll do the comparison. As of now, Its unfair to compare.

~Maya~
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Ok, I work with cancer patients and many of them suffer from depression. So , I kind of learned to recognize depressed facial expressions. I didn't have chance to see him play in Wimbledon, but as soon as I saw him on the court in Canada, I knew that he was not alright. It didn't have anything to do with the way he was playing. Other people are saying that he was the same during Wimbledon too. He is not OK. I don't know how you people cannot see that. There is a huge difference between Novak before Wimbledon and Novak after. I just hope that whatever it is, is recognized and dealt with. This does not have anything to do with him loosing to Nadal a couple of times. I personally think that there is a huge mental effort involved in order for him to be and play on the court. That is why he is pointing to his head among everything else when he turns towards his parents after the match.

out_here_grindin
09-09-2008, 01:27 AM
maybe something in his personal life. You never know

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Ok, I work with cancer patients and many of them suffer from depression. So , I kind of learned to recognize depressed facial expressions. I didn't have chance to see him play in Wimbledon, but as soon as I saw him on the court in Canada, I knew that he was not alright. It didn't have anything to do with the way he was playing. Other people are saying that he was the same during Wimbledon too. He is not OK. I don't know how you people cannot see that. There is a huge difference between Novak before Wimbledon and Novak after. I just hope that whatever it is, is recognized and dealt with. This does not have anything to do with him loosing to Nadal a couple of times. I personally think that there is a huge mental effort involved in order for him to be and play on the court. That is why he is pointing to his head among everything else when he turns towards his parents after the match.

This is the most interesting post I have read in a while. You sound like you know your stuff. If you are right, I hope Djokovic can deal with it and fast.

wilmar
09-09-2008, 03:10 AM
He's still holding Australian Open.

judging by his past record for defending titles...not for long

We may support different players but Kudos to you on your profession. I don't think many can deal with that type of job scope and working environment.

I don't know the full scope to Novak's background. But I'd assume his dip was due to the couple of missed chances to overtake Nadal as #2 during the clay season (but not so much losing to Nadal). I;d assume that forced on him a reality check.

People with high pride/ego are the ones who are the most brittle. His mental strength is evidently not there.

Even though I dislike Noval, I hope it's not something life-threatening that is affecting him.

Johnny Groove
09-09-2008, 03:15 AM

My mind was just blown. Kudos, sir :hatoff:

Laba
09-09-2008, 04:32 AM
That was pretty deep. More interesting to read than a lot of the other crap weakly labeled as insight and perspective, that's for sure. :p

Mimi
09-09-2008, 04:49 AM
:hug::hug: i guess his parents are giving him too much trouble, poor novak, but don't worry, he will bounce back :hug:

JoshDragon
09-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Djokovic, is becoming a thing of the past. Just like Federer's slump.

SheepleBuster
09-09-2008, 05:03 AM
I think it's unfair to criticize Novak. I mean he got Mono and that's why he is titleless.

luie
09-09-2008, 05:18 AM

Is he a notch below?
FED,nadal,murray will make him a one-slam wonder. He looks vunerable.
Beating up poor roddick but when it came to the grand master himself he got scared.

~Maya~
09-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Ok. I just want to make something clear here. I am not trying to find an excuse for Novak not winning titles. I just expressed something that has been on my mind for some time. I hope I am wrong about Novak. I just want to see him happy again even if he never wins another title. (But I don't think he would be too happy about that :))

SheepleBuster
09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey guys. I just made a bad joke on an earlier comment. Sorry about that. On a serious note, I think Novak will be fine in the long run but it doesn't get any easier from this point on. Guys like Cilic, Del Potro, and Gulbis will be smelling blood in the water. If any of these top guys start to falter, you can be sure that there will be many sharks in the tank going after them. I also think that Novak's parents put too much pressure on the guy by saying Fed would never beat him or he is superior to Nadal on Clay or things like that.

Burrow
09-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Well i'd say that his australian open win was one of the worst grand slam win's ever, not that he could choose the players put in front of him, but I agree as a whole.

Iván
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
bronze medal aint bad.

ToniTennis
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
bronze medal aint bad.

But it's not a title (which is the issue being discussed), not even a run-up. It's just the equivalent to losing in semis.

JolánGagó
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
He sucks. Period. May we move on?

Matt01
09-09-2008, 07:16 PM
He sucks. Period. May we move on?

As long as you don't admit that he doesn't suck, no we can't move on :p

Corey Feldman
09-09-2008, 07:30 PM
oh c'mon

he got his bronze medal at least - thats at least equal to a $400,000 MM event like Chennai

;)

l_mac
09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Wait and see! Nadal was a clay surface wonder on his first 3 years as number 2 and took WB when Fed does'nt care.

He made the finals of Wimbledon in 2006 and 2007 :hug:

:tape: :tape: :tape:

Poor depressed Nole :awww: He must have an awful team around him if they think the best way to battle through depression is to keep going out and giving it his all on court :confused:

Get well soon, Nole :hug:

DekuTheEvilClown
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I think Djokovic is going to be a streaky player his whole career. Completely dominate for a while then be below his best for long stretches.

Looking back to the end of last year i'm not sure how much exhaustion had to play in Djokovics poor end of season run. I think that may just have been one of his low patches. Everyone was tired then.

MIMIC
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
But it's not a title (which is the issue being discussed), not even a run-up. It's just the equivalent to losing in semis.

In the Olympics, there are three titles. Perhaps you're just too narrow-minded to comprehend that.

JolánGagó
09-09-2008, 10:13 PM
In the Olympics, there are three titles. Perhaps you're just too narrow-minded to comprehend that.

I hope you don't believe yourself that crap. Are you under the influence perhaps?

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 10:29 PM
He made the finals of Wimbledon in 2006 and 2007 :hug:

:tape: :tape: :tape:

Get well soon, Nole :hug:

2005 are the year considered as the first years after he won his first slam and become a contender and he dont do any much better than Nole on the next 3 slams after 2005 FO.

2005 WB? what round?
2005 US? what round? first week?
2006 AO? what round?

On the otherhand, Nole first couple of year is just in his first year and he is in semis on all of slams in one calendar year.
2008 FO- Semis
2008 WB- Semis
2008 US- Semis

Andi-M
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I actually think Djokovic talentwise is no greater than anyone in the top 20.

And he knows it.

In order for him to be as amazingly sucessful as he has been its down to pure determination and hard graft, hes desperate to be the best

Knowing he has to work twice as hard as a natural talent like Federer or someone with natural high muscle mass Nadal has gotta be mentally so tough.

I think he's a ittle burned out just right now, but I believe he will be back to himself and to his winning ways in the not too distant future.

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 10:46 PM

And he knows it.

In order for him to be as amazingly sucessful as he has been its down to pure determination and hard graft, hes desperate to be the best

Knowing he has to work twice as hard as a natural talent like Federer or someone with natural high muscle mass Nadal has gotta be mentally so tough.

I think he's a ittle burned out just right now, but I believe he will be back to himself and to his winning ways in the not too distant future.

Tell it to me, when Murray won his slam more than Nole. Or when Murray shows in semis of all slams in one year and win one. Who's actually entered the tour first?

An nadal not working hard? Nadal always work to even won his serve? Are you kidding me?

Andi-M
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Tell it to me, when Murray won his slam more than Nole. Or when Murray shows in semis of all slams in one year and win one. Who's actually entered the tour first?

What has Murray got to do with my post??
He's a different kettle of fish altogether the thread is about Nole.

BIGMARAT
09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
What has Murray got to do with my post??
He's a different kettle of fish altogether the thread is about Nole.

Nole being less talented than the top 20? lol!!!

Troll Alert!

Steelq
09-09-2008, 11:20 PM

And he knows it.

Lawl :worship::worship:

And tell me genius how is he even in top 50 with his fitness if he is talentwise worst of the top 20?How he was the youngest player in top 100 when he entered it?How is he with only 20 years one of the 5 active players who played in the semis of all grand slams?How is he 4th in all time list by the most consecutive slam semifinals if he is so talentless?

Enlight me please.

Andi-M
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Lawl :worship::worship:

And tell me genius how is he even in top 50 with his fitness if he is talentwise worst of the top 20?How he was the youngest player in top 100 when he entered it?How is he with only 20 years one of the 5 active players who played in the semis of all grand slams?How is he 4th in all time list by most consecutive slam semifinals if he is so talentless?

Enlight me please.

OK when did I say he was talentless?? :lol: or he has the least talent in the top 20?

I said he is not a great deal more talented than anyone else in the top 20. Big difference.

Federer, is More talented any other player. Gasquet, Nalbandian and Murray are also extremely talented yet they dont have GS titles. Lendl was't the most talented guy in the woekd yet he won 8 GS titles.

Talent dosent = GS titles
Winning mentality + work ethic + talent = GS titles

xargon
09-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Sampras said there are Fed, Nadal, and Novak...the rest are way behind. It took Samp 3 years to get his second GS so I am not worried about Novak. Plus J-McEnroe said he will win many more GS's. As for depression, someone (gio) mentioned, could be. I think he has family problems going on.

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
OK when did I say he was talentless?? :lol: or he has the least talent in the top 20?

I said he is not a great deal more talented than anyone else in the top 20. Big difference.

Federer, is More talented any other player. Gasquet, Nalbandian and Murray are also extremely talented yet they dont have GS titles. Lendl was't the most talented guy in the woekd yet he won 8 GS titles.

Talent dosent = GS titles
Winning mentality + work ethic + talent = GS titles

You are all wrong. What I_Like_Murray ACTUALLY stated was, "I actually think Djokovic talentwise is no greater than anyone in the top 20."

Steelq
09-10-2008, 12:05 AM
Everyone in top 20 has more or less hard work ethic,they wouldnt be there without it.Its talent and mentality that makes a difference between champions and other top 10 or top 20 guys,and Novak is by that above everyone in top 20 except Federer and Nadal.Players who have talent but not work ethic are outside of the top 20.

BIGMARAT
09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
You are all wrong. What I_Like_Murray ACTUALLY stated was, "I actually think Djokovic talentwise is no greater than anyone in the top 20."

I disagree. Federer might be up a notch when talking about talent but I also consider Nole to be very talented He does'nt need to muscle the ball to produce power shots compare to Nadal who needs to build muscles just to hit power. And also speaking of working twice as hard as he originally mentions, Nole is a good mover but he does'nt run most of the time.

We all know that Federer is GOd above the rest so I dont understand the objective of his post about Nole being as talented as the top 20( granted that how he meant).

MatchFederer
09-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I disagree. Federer might be up a notch when talking about talent but I also consider Nole to be very talented He does'nt need to muscle the ball to produce power shots compare to Nadal who needs to build muscles just to hit power. And also speaking of working twice as hard as he originally mentions, Nole is a good mover but he does'nt run most of the time.

We all know that Federer is GOd above the rest so I dont understand the objective of his post about Nole being as talented as the top 20( granted that how he meant).

I also disagree with I_Like_Murrays comment. I think Nole is a bit more talented than your usual top 20 suspects, especially with regards to his tennis brain.

Andi-M
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Everyone in top 20 has more or less hard work ethic,they wouldnt be there without it.Its talent and mentality that makes a difference between champions and other top 10 or top 20 guys,and Novak is by that above everyone in top 20 except Federer and Nadal.Players who have talent but not work ethic are outside of the top 20.

I agree to an extent but its actually the winners mentality which is the biggest attribute to sucess.

Nalbandian is your Classic example. This guys work ethic for a professional tennis player is poor. His diet is poor his attitude is poor his fitness leaves alot to be desired. Yet, when he tries a bit puts some work into his game and fitness he can play unbelievable beating the worlds best with ease and win back to back AMS titles.....that is talent.

Djokovic could never have that kind of attitude and win AMS titles cos he imho is not as naturally talented as Nalbandian.

But He will be far more successful than Nalbandian because he has the winners mentality the work ethic and yes enough talent to win multiple GS as Lendl did.

Im no Nole hater...see sig

BIGMARAT
09-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree to an extent but its actually the winners mentality which is the biggest attribute to sucess.

Nalbandian is your Classic example. This guys work ethic for a professional tennis player is poor. His diet is poor his attitude is poor his fitness leaves alot to be desired. Yet, when he tries a bit puts some work into his game and fitness he can play unbelievable beating the worlds best with ease and win back to back AMS titles.....that is talent.

Djokovic could never have that kind of attitude and win AMS titles cos he imho is not as naturally talented as Nalbandian.

But He will be far more successful than Nalbandian because he has the winners mentality the work ethic and yes enough talent to win multiple GS as Lendl did.

Im no Nole hater...see sig

Your definition of talent is inconsistent with your arguments.
I agree with Nalbadian being talented but seeing him more talented than Nole, I think I need a microscope as I really dont know how to exactly quantitate talent between the two. Nalby can do fast flat hard shots and thats talent, but so does Nole and more!

MIMIC
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
I hope you don't believe yourself that crap. Are you under the influence perhaps?

He WON his last match at the Olympics. Get a clue. :rolleyes:

MatchFederer
09-10-2008, 12:54 AM
He WON his last match at the Olympics. Get a clue. :rolleyes:

Earlier you said their are 3 winners.. or something like that. Are you referring to the 3 different medals? Come on, there was only one actual winner of the tournament and that was Nadal. Federer and Wawrinka doing the business in the doubles. I didn't follow the womens side in the Olympics not the mixed doubles.

luie
09-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Novak is a very talented actor.

ToniTennis
09-10-2008, 02:05 PM

:D Hey, take a deep breath and relax. I happen to not dislike Nole at all but a title, by definition, is reserved for the champion, that's it. Not a matter of narrow-mindedness, and a shiny little medal won't change it.

GS and TMS runner-ups, as well as at any other ATP tournament, are also given their consolation trophies, you know, so, OK, by your logic, since May Novak has won a title at Queens and another at Cincy, if I recall correctly.

So, take your own conclusions. ;)

Okonsky
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Sampras said there are Fed, Nadal, and Novak...the rest are way behind. It took Samp 3 years to get his second GS so I am not worried about Novak. Plus J-McEnroe said he will win many more GS's. As for depression, someone (gio) mentioned, could be. I think he has family problems going on.

Sampras, McEnroe...losers. Leave them. I_like_Murray knows better. That's the only truth here.

Branimir
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Djokovic needs to get his strong MENTALITY back. He needs to get healthy too.
Healthy Djokovic doesn't play 5 sets against Robredo on hard court.