bud collins picks murray to beat roger [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

bud collins picks murray to beat roger

dylan24
09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
thank god.
fwiw, pmac picked fed in 4 and luke jensen likes fed to win as well.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26598354/site/21683474/

By Bud Collins
NBCSports.com contributor
updated 8:43 p.m. PT, Sun., Sept. 7, 2008

Bud Collins
Hanna didnít do much vamping yesterday. True, she let Roger Federer prove at Arthur Ashe Stadium that heís still among the best in the game as he dismantled Novak Djokovic 6-3, 5-7, 7-5, 6-2.

Trouble is, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, whose match was moved to Louis Armstrong Stadium because of the threatening weather, had to put on their rain gear after Murray won the first two sets 6-2, 7-6. Nadal was up 3-2 in the third and had a service break when the downpour started and they had to make a dash for cover.

They were back on the court (Ashe Stadium this time) at 4 p.m. Sunday, and Murray continued his fearless play, topping the gameís No. 1, 6-2, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4. With the victory, he becomes the first player from Britain (though he stresses heís Scottish) to reach the U.S. Open final since Greg Rusedski (who was formerly a Canadian) in 1997. With the win, I think he put himself in position to become first Brit since Fred Perry in 1936 to win the U.S. singles title (the year Perry won all four of the majors).
Story continues below ↓advertisement

After their memorable Wimbledon final, everyone ó and thatís no exaggeration ó wanted to see Federer and Nadal in another final. That it didnít happen indicates just how much of a player Murray has become. Nadal, after all, won two majors, was in the semifinals of two others and won a Gold Medal. He recently became the No. 1 ranked player, replacing Federer, who had held the spot for more than four years. That Nadal came up short here doesnít diminish what he has accomplished. This year he has been the best in the menís game.

Best on the court
On Saturday, Federer started the match with an ace up the tee. By the end of the match, he had 20. He brought his serve out of hiding. In his first five matches, he had 64 aces. So itís clear, he served very well. It was the best heís played during the tournament.

In the quarterfinals, Igor Andreev was unexpectedly tough. The last time Federer had to go five sets at the U.S. Open was in 2004 when he defeated Andre Agassi 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 in the quarterfinals. I think this match against Djokovic eliminated a lot of pressure.

He played like the old Federer. He played aggressively and hit the lines regularly. He won 135 of the 249 points played. He hit 51 winners, eight more than Djokovic and made 19 fewer unforced errors. I almost wonder where he has been hiding. The four-time U.S. Open champion has reached the semifinals at 18 majors, a record. Many players donít play 18 majors in a row.

I think the match was a good lesson for Djokovic. In the fourth round against Tommy Robredo, he called for the trainer a number of times. Before their quarterfinal, Andy Roddick had joked that he had 16 injuries.

Following his victory over the top American, Djokovic told the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd that he felt he proved he didnít have 16 injuries. He didnít endear himself to the fans when he dissed Roddick. Things were made worse by the fact that he was trying to beat Federer, the defending champion.

It almost seemed like 18,000 people flew in from Basel. They may have even brought Juliet along ó the cow the Swiss gave him following his first Wimbledon championship. Djokovic being Djokovic helped Federer focus, and the defending champ had a lot of support.

I really became a Murray fan after he defeated Juan Martin Del Potro in the quarterfinals 7-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5. He has a tremendous backhand and a very good serve. He changes speed as smooth as a good driver changes gears in a race car and heís very clever.

Nadal and Murray played a tiring three hours and 30 minutes. Of the 275 points contested, Murray earned 149. He had 11 more winners than unforced errors. He made Nadal very un-Nadal-like, forcing him to commit eight more unforced errors than winners. Even more remarkable, Murray had 21 aces against one of the gameís best returners, and only three double faults.

He kept Nadal off balance varying the pace, returning serve from almost the baseline fence and he made Nadal, whose game is running, cover more of the court than normal by using the width and depth as if he was teaching a class in geometry.

It seems that Federer has grown resentful, and heís a very classy guy, over what has had been written this year about his not having mononucleosis. I think in Australia it played a factor in his loss to Djokovic in the semifinals. He is now 7-2 in his career against Djokovic and I think he wanted to prove a point.

For the second year in a row, all four U.S. Open semifinalists were from Europe, and it was the first time since 1992 that the top three seeds reached the semis. Federer, who has 36 career hard court titles that ties him with Pete Sampras, was the only one in the group who hadnít won a tournament on the surface this year. Murray has won three and both Djokovic and Nadal two each.

The U.S. Open has been Murrayís favorite tournament since he won the Boysí championship as a 17-year-old in 2004. He has become a factor in the menís game, and I think that is wonderful for Britain. He will be on all the front pages Monday morning and admits that, in the past, he didnít deal well with the press.

This is not surprising since the tabloids would kill anyone who isnít Christ. Still, his career record is 2-1 against Federer, having defeated him in Dubai this year 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 and at Cincinnati two years ago.

Federer is chasing Sampras, who won a record 14 majors. He has 12 now, and 34 straight wins in New York. (Bill Tilden holds the tournament record with 42.) He is looking to put a sunny look on what has been a drab year.

Murray is much more subtle than Djokovic, and I think he will give Federer trouble. He has a real shot, and though he will not have as much rest as the defending champion, with the match starting tomorrow night at 5 p.m., I donít think this will be a problem. Itís his first major, but he has proved he can compete.

Iím not very good at picking winners, but Iím picking Murray.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Bud Collins = joke.

brent-o
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Oh no, guess this is the final nail in Federer's coffin.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
bud collins is great for tennis

BlueSwan
09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I’m not very good at picking winners, but I’m picking Murray.
At least he's admitting it.

Mimi
09-08-2008, 08:50 AM
roger should say thank you to Collins :p

HNCS
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
oh damn, this is the year of the parallel universe remember? so bud collins should be right. :lol:

Forehander
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
lol well atleast he's admitting he's always picking the darkhorses ^^

dylan24
09-08-2008, 10:51 AM
oh damn, this is the year of the parallel universe remember? so bud collins should be right. :lol:

his original uso picks were nadal and venus i believe.
then he picked jankovic to beat serena.
hope bud has one more wrong prediction in him left

The_Nadal_effect
09-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Laugh as you all might at him, Collins predictions have been good of late.

MacTheKnife
09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Probably the kiss of death for Murray. But IMO, he does have a real good shot at winning this. If Fed's at a little lower level than he was against Djokitch, and Murray can hold his nerve, this could be a very interesting match.

Sebby
09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
FY Bud ! Go dress like a clown as you ever do.

FNT
09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Bud Collins for the win! I am completely calm now, Roger should take this.

Sunset of Age
09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Probably the kiss of death for Murray. But IMO, he does have a real good shot at winning this. If Fed's at a little lower level than he was against Djokitch, and Murray can hold his nerve, this could be a very interesting match.

I agree with you here - Muzza should surely not be underrated, and has a good chance against Fed on HC, if he plays like he did yesterday.

Still... Bud Collins predicting a loss for Roger is good news, of course. Does the MTF poll have Muzza as the winner as well?
Then all will be fine. :angel:

madmanfool
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
They may have even brought Juliet along ó the cow the Swiss gave him following his first Wimbledon championship.

I really doubt that, Bud. The cow is dead. Maybe you mistaked Mirka for Juliet.

tennizen
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Collins has been correct so far this year. Borg is the new Bud Collins. We have to wait for his word on the subject:lol:

BlueSwan
09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
The MTF poll has Federer winning the final. Collins has Murray winning the final.

Surely this can only mean one thing?

Murray is disqualified for substance abuse and is replaced by Nadal who rapes Federer in the final.

Peoples
09-08-2008, 02:17 PM
OK thanks Bud that's what I was waiting for. I'm now off to put some $$$ on Roger.

Jaap
09-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Bud is due one right.

Corey Feldman
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
cooked Muzza

calvinhobbes
09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I really doubt that, Bud. The cow is dead. Maybe you mistaked Mirka for Juliet.

No.Juliet is immortal, just as Roger is. Always there will be a cow named Juliet in Switzerland, and a player named Roger in Tennis.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 05:40 PM
The most important factor in this match is that Federer isn't afraid of Muzza. The only one I'd be concerned about is Nadal because he's in Roger's head.

Sebby
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Murray is disqualified for substance abuse and is replaced by Nadal who rapes Federer in the final.

No please, not Nadal :scared: :bolt:

Lucilla
09-08-2008, 05:48 PM
:rolleyes:Hope he's wrong.

platinum
09-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Collins has been correct so far this year.

He predicted that Nole would win the AO and that Nadal would win the FO and Wimbledon.

BD006
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Congratulations Roger, you've officially won your fifth U.S. Open!

chris whiteside
09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I fear Federer's experience will make the difference but if I had both Bud Collins and Tim Henman tipping me to win I wouldn't even bother going on court - no chance!

dylan24
09-09-2008, 12:54 AM
thanks bud

SheepleBuster
09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Bud Collins also picked Jankovic. I know understand why he was let go. I mean how can this man get a lucrative book deal on the history of tennis when he doesn't understand the simplest things, like experience, more rest, better serve matters.
thank god.
fwiw, pmac picked fed in 4 and luke jensen likes fed to win as well.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26598354/site/21683474/

By Bud Collins
NBCSports.com contributor
updated 8:43 p.m. PT, Sun., Sept. 7, 2008

Bud Collins
Hanna didnít do much vamping yesterday. True, she let Roger Federer prove at Arthur Ashe Stadium that heís still among the best in the game as he dismantled Novak Djokovic 6-3, 5-7, 7-5, 6-2.

Trouble is, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, whose match was moved to Louis Armstrong Stadium because of the threatening weather, had to put on their rain gear after Murray won the first two sets 6-2, 7-6. Nadal was up 3-2 in the third and had a service break when the downpour started and they had to make a dash for cover.

They were back on the court (Ashe Stadium this time) at 4 p.m. Sunday, and Murray continued his fearless play, topping the gameís No. 1, 6-2, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4. With the victory, he becomes the first player from Britain (though he stresses heís Scottish) to reach the U.S. Open final since Greg Rusedski (who was formerly a Canadian) in 1997. With the win, I think he put himself in position to become first Brit since Fred Perry in 1936 to win the U.S. singles title (the year Perry won all four of the majors).

After their memorable Wimbledon final, everyone ó and thatís no exaggeration ó wanted to see Federer and Nadal in another final. That it didnít happen indicates just how much of a player Murray has become. Nadal, after all, won two majors, was in the semifinals of two others and won a Gold Medal. He recently became the No. 1 ranked player, replacing Federer, who had held the spot for more than four years. That Nadal came up short here doesnít diminish what he has accomplished. This year he has been the best in the menís game.

Best on the court
On Saturday, Federer started the match with an ace up the tee. By the end of the match, he had 20. He brought his serve out of hiding. In his first five matches, he had 64 aces. So itís clear, he served very well. It was the best heís played during the tournament.

In the quarterfinals, Igor Andreev was unexpectedly tough. The last time Federer had to go five sets at the U.S. Open was in 2004 when he defeated Andre Agassi 6-3, 2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 in the quarterfinals. I think this match against Djokovic eliminated a lot of pressure.

He played like the old Federer. He played aggressively and hit the lines regularly. He won 135 of the 249 points played. He hit 51 winners, eight more than Djokovic and made 19 fewer unforced errors. I almost wonder where he has been hiding. The four-time U.S. Open champion has reached the semifinals at 18 majors, a record. Many players donít play 18 majors in a row.

I think the match was a good lesson for Djokovic. In the fourth round against Tommy Robredo, he called for the trainer a number of times. Before their quarterfinal, Andy Roddick had joked that he had 16 injuries.

Following his victory over the top American, Djokovic told the Arthur Ashe Stadium crowd that he felt he proved he didnít have 16 injuries. He didnít endear himself to the fans when he dissed Roddick. Things were made worse by the fact that he was trying to beat Federer, the defending champion.

It almost seemed like 18,000 people flew in from Basel. They may have even brought Juliet along ó the cow the Swiss gave him following his first Wimbledon championship. Djokovic being Djokovic helped Federer focus, and the defending champ had a lot of support.

I really became a Murray fan after he defeated Juan Martin Del Potro in the quarterfinals 7-6, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5. He has a tremendous backhand and a very good serve. He changes speed as smooth as a good driver changes gears in a race car and heís very clever.

Nadal and Murray played a tiring three hours and 30 minutes. Of the 275 points contested, Murray earned 149. He had 11 more winners than unforced errors. He made Nadal very un-Nadal-like, forcing him to commit eight more unforced errors than winners. Even more remarkable, Murray had 21 aces against one of the gameís best returners, and only three double faults.

He kept Nadal off balance varying the pace, returning serve from almost the baseline fence and he made Nadal, whose game is running, cover more of the court than normal by using the width and depth as if he was teaching a class in geometry.

It seems that Federer has grown resentful, and heís a very classy guy, over what has had been written this year about his not having mononucleosis. I think in Australia it played a factor in his loss to Djokovic in the semifinals. He is now 7-2 in his career against Djokovic and I think he wanted to prove a point.

For the second year in a row, all four U.S. Open semifinalists were from Europe, and it was the first time since 1992 that the top three seeds reached the semis. Federer, who has 36 career hard court titles that ties him with Pete Sampras, was the only one in the group who hadnít won a tournament on the surface this year. Murray has won three and both Djokovic and Nadal two each.

The U.S. Open has been Murrayís favorite tournament since he won the Boysí championship as a 17-year-old in 2004. He has become a factor in the menís game, and I think that is wonderful for Britain. He will be on all the front pages Monday morning and admits that, in the past, he didnít deal well with the press.

This is not surprising since the tabloids would kill anyone who isnít Christ. Still, his career record is 2-1 against Federer, having defeated him in Dubai this year 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 and at Cincinnati two years ago.

Federer is chasing Sampras, who won a record 14 majors. He has 12 now, and 34 straight wins in New York. (Bill Tilden holds the tournament record with 42.) He is looking to put a sunny look on what has been a drab year.

Murray is much more subtle than Djokovic, and I think he will give Federer trouble. He has a real shot, and though he will not have as much rest as the defending champion, with the match starting tomorrow night at 5 p.m., I donít think this will be a problem. Itís his first major, but he has proved he can compete.

Iím not very good at picking winners, but Iím picking Murray.

Albop
09-09-2008, 12:58 AM
lol

jasmin
09-09-2008, 01:03 AM
I guess at least he admits this time how bad he is on predicting. So annoying...

knightsky
09-09-2008, 03:18 AM
seems like Roger is not the only one who has rediscovered his form! :)

Sunset of Age
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Keep it coming, Bud. :p