When Murray's game develops, will it be better than peak Federer's? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When Murray's game develops, will it be better than peak Federer's?

NinaNina19
09-08-2008, 03:24 AM
I think it will. He has even more variety, can mix up spins better, has a better backhand, better touch at the net, better movement, and a better return. He will def. be an incredibly interesting player to watch, you just feel like he has endless options at his disposal.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Competition is much higher now, so I doubt anyone will dominate like Fed did. Besides, it's far too early to make such judgements. Does he have the talent? Sure. Does he have the mental toughness and consistency? We'll have to wait and see.

NinaNina19
09-08-2008, 03:32 AM
Competition is much higher now, so I doubt anyone will dominate like Fed did. Besides, it's far too early to make such judgements. Does he have the talent? Sure. Does he have the mental toughness and consistency? We'll have to wait and see.True, I don't expect him to dominate like Federer. The competition is much tougher than Roddick, Safin, Hewitt.

leng jai
09-08-2008, 03:35 AM
This is just too much. I wonder what threads you guys will be making if Mugray wins tomorrow? Mugray's movement, net play, serve and forehand are nowhere to Federer's at his peak and never will be.

Jimnik
09-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Of course this is another bandwagon thread but I always knew Muzza had the talent to be world #1. He'll never be as dominant as Federer but not because the competition is stronger. He's more like a Safin, he doesn't have the determination to dominate.

Kuhne
09-08-2008, 03:42 AM
This isn't surprising :) when Nalbandian beat Nadal and Roger last year we saw a lot of "Fit dave is the best player ever" threads and don't forget after Djokobitch won the australien open all of a sudden he was going to win the golden slam.

just face it, beating Rafa on a hardcourt is not that big of a deal

JimmyV
09-08-2008, 03:44 AM
Now that Murray is 1-5 against Nadal this obviously means he is ready to take away his #1 crown and become the most dominant player in the history of tennis. I predict he will win every slam until at least 2013, when a new generation will come along who can hopefully challenge him.

I think this is really just stating the obvious though.

luie
09-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Murray just beat a hard court mug,& you are comparing him to federer already.And I taught noletrolls were delusional.

MrChopin
09-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Murray will be #4 on Monday, and at worst, only 3960 points behind #1. Today the kid took a huge step towards cementing his GOAT status. If you still doubt, you're just a hater.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 03:57 AM
this is definitely not a bandwagon thread.

nina's devotion to the ugly scot is well known.

well on topic, i dont think he will ever have a forehand as good as federer's. ever.

movement is good due to his good anticipation but he hasnt got the speed.

maybe im wrong because he always seems like in slow motion to me.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 03:58 AM
This thread is a bandwagon thread.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 03:59 AM
Sure her devotion is well known, but the content of the question makes it a bandwagon thread. Murray will be a greater player than Federer, take up golf and whoop Tiger Woods, and then start trying to beat Bolt in the 100 meters in athletics, managing a reasonably good percentage of wins and racking up several times in the 9.7s.

JimmyV
09-08-2008, 04:03 AM
this is definitely not a bandwagon thread.

nina's devotion to the ugly scot is well known.

well on topic, i dont think he will ever have a forehand as good as federer's. ever.

movement is good due to his good anticipation but he hasnt got the speed.

maybe im wrong because he always seems like in slow motion to me.

No offense or anything dude, I'm not the biggest Murray fan but have you actually ever watched a match of his?

The dude is super quick, maybe has the 2nd best defense behind Nadal. Even McEnroe and the other commentators were having a circle jerk over how quick he is, hence all the comparisons to Mecir "the big cat".

Mechlan
09-08-2008, 04:07 AM
No. Just... no.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 04:11 AM
No offense or anything dude, I'm not the biggest Murray fan but have you actually ever watched a match of his?

The dude is super quick, maybe has the 2nd best defense behind Nadal. Even McEnroe and the other commentators were having a circle jerk over how quick he is, hence all the comparisons to Mecir "the big cat".

i was comparing him directly to the man once known as "ninja fed"

he does cover the court well, but i dont see any explosiveness in his game.

tennis2tennis
09-08-2008, 04:20 AM
This is just too much. I wonder what threads you guys will be making if Mugray wins tomorrow? Mugray's movement, net play, serve and forehand are nowhere to Federer's at his peak and never will be.

do people even remember how roger was like at his peak? if they did this thread would be so redundant!

habibko
09-08-2008, 04:24 AM
not only comparing Murray to Federer, but to his PEAK?!??? wow, the nerve, or shall I say, the power of the bandwagon :worship:

even if Murray beat Federer tomorrow and had a 12-6 head to head against him, this will never mean that he is a better player with a better game, never :) (yes there is a hint in this sentence).

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 04:29 AM
This thread is stupendously stupid and REEKS of the wagon.

"It's kinda big, it's kinda round.."

mariyella80
09-08-2008, 04:46 AM
:rolleyes:

mariyella80
09-08-2008, 04:46 AM
Never

LinkMage
09-08-2008, 04:48 AM
I think it will. He has even more variety, can mix up spins better, has a better backhand, better touch at the net, better movement, and a better return. He will def. be an incredibly interesting player to watch, you just feel like he has endless options at his disposal.

Get off the drugs. :retard:

~*BGT*~
09-08-2008, 05:17 AM
:lol: Nina :hug:

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Murray will win 30 GS titles.

Fedex
09-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Isn't this one obvious? Peak Murray would triple bagel peak Federer.

oranges
09-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Is it already time for Murray vs God thread?

Art&Soul
09-08-2008, 05:32 AM
This is a joke thread to catch some fish :o

Argenbrit
09-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Nina needs to put the crack pipe down NOW. :)

Clydey
09-08-2008, 05:34 AM

Ancic is still better than Murray, right? :D

SheepleBuster
09-08-2008, 05:35 AM
These people are the only reason I may rout against Murray even though I like his game. His people are just running riot claiming that he is the best player in the world and best player ever even before he's won the final. And even if he beat Fed tomorrow, that still doesn't make him the best player. His game is not as beautiful as Federer's and not ingenious enough. He is a ball retriever and a moon baller and a glorified Santoro with a serve. He will win slams but he won't be a Federer.

Fedex
09-08-2008, 05:35 AM

God stands little chance of upsetting a peak Murray.

oranges
09-08-2008, 05:44 AM

Better and far more enjoyable to watch, yes. Not being a prick is also appealing. You'd like to remind his fans once again how lucky he is to be sidelined every time he makes a comeback or is there another point for bringing this up before they meet again?

Clydey
09-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Better and far more enjoyable to watch, yes. Not being a prick is also appealing. You'd like to remind his fans once again how lucky he is to be sidelined every time he makes a comeback or is there another point for bringing this up before they meet again?

You know fine and well that my post had nothing to do with Mario being sidelined. I'm just poking fun at your assertion that Ancic is better than Murray. You have a healthy sense of humour, sir.

TMJordan
09-08-2008, 05:52 AM
A healthy Ancic is most definatly better than Murray. Not to mention he's a genuine good guy, unlike Murray.

sheeter
09-08-2008, 06:02 AM
Federer definitely has more touch at net than Murray. Watch any doubles match from the Olympics or videos from 2004-2005. Also, Federer's movement 2007 and before is also incredible, so don't be so ready to write off federer as slower than Murray. The backhands an interesting insue, they have thier own strengths, though Fed's is better at passing shots by far. Federer also have alot of variety he just uses it less than Murray. He can do a lot of stuff with his forehand, generate massive spin of flatten it out, and possesses the best slice of any active player.
There is NO way Murray beats Federer's serve or forehand.

scarecrows
09-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Murray's sweat cures AIDS

groundstroke
09-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Jesus Christ you are so wrong it's unbelievable, I may not like Murray (trolling..) but you can see he's a better player to watch than someone like Nadal.
1. Murray does not have more variety than Federer, no player does and ever will have, IMO, the closest is Gasquet but in his last match he was just bashing the ball.
2. Nope, Federer can mix up spins better than Murray.
3. Very naive of you to think that, Federer has a superb backhand, more reliable, more variety, the 1 hander lets you get more in the game, more variety, quicker to the net, etc, I don't think Murray's BH is better than Federer's.
4. Better touch at the net? Nope, but it's always good to see Murray coming to the net at such a young age..
-
YOu're on the bandwagon here, this Murray is completely different to the one that played Eysseric (SP) at the French Open this year, Murray is just like Djokovic, Wawrinka and a few other players, they haven't got the consistency that Fed/Nadal does, so you will never know what to expect. Against Federer don't expect any of those "superior" qualities to be on show. ;)

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Sorry, double post

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Jesus Christ you are so wrong it's unbelievable, I may not like Murray (trolling..) but you can see he's a better player to watch than someone like Nadal.
1. Murray does not have more variety than Federer, no player does and ever will have, IMO, the closest is Gasquet but in his last match he was just bashing the ball.
2. Nope, Federer can mix up spins better than Murray.
3. Very naive of you to think that, Federer has a superb backhand, more reliable, more variety, the 1 hander lets you get more in the game, more variety, quicker to the net, etc, I don't think Murray's BH is better than Federer's.
4. Better touch at the net? Nope, but it's always good to see Murray coming to the net at such a young age..
-
YOu're on the bandwagon here, this Murray is completely different to the one that played Eysseric (SP) at the French Open this year, Murray is just like Djokovic, Wawrinka and a few other players, they haven't got the consistency that Fed/Nadal does, so you will never know what to expect. Against Federer don't expect any of those "superior" qualities to be on show. ;)

Comments like this are always exceptionally infuriating. Tennis hasn't been around for THAT many years, and you think nobody will ever have more variety than Federer? What is it with idi... people who say "so n so will always be the greatest nobody will ever be better than him." sort of shit? It is VERY BLOODY likely that unless the world is destroyed soon or the sport of tennis dies very abruptly over the next several years that some player is gonna come along who has more variety than whoever it is who up to now has had the most variety in tennis.

oranges
09-08-2008, 06:49 AM
You know fine and well that my post had nothing to do with Mario being sidelined. I'm just poking fun at your assertion that Ancic is better than Murray. You have a healthy sense of humour, sir.

Then get it through your skull -- he is sidelined, just as he has been for the most part of the last two years. Bringing it up is as tactless as you can get, it must be a character trait one needs to have to be a Murray fan. There is no humor in it whatsoever, unless you'd find it funny if someone asked you about the brat every few days while he was out with wrist injury. Looking forward to two Mario wins over him in the future so that we can close the case.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Ancic will probably always be a journeyman... unfortunately.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 06:55 AM
nina was aware this thread would suck.

bad girl

oranges
09-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Ancic will probably always be a journeyman... unfortunately.

:worship: Yes, he'd better stick to challengers.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:57 AM
:worship: Yes, he'd better stick to challengers.

He will probably make several 3rd and 4th rounds and the odd quarter final in Slam events.

EDIT: I have only just noticed .. that is the Croatian flag right? Heh, so poor old Ancic could have been an Aussie player and he wouldn't have known your support perhaps.

GlennMirnyi
09-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Murray is not a mug like Nadull but his game is nowhere not even close to Federer's. Peak Federer would beat Murray 1, 2 and 2 any given day in any surface.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Peak Stepanek vs peak Murray, whats the score?

GlennMirnyi
09-08-2008, 06:59 AM

Ancic is arrogant and thinks too highly of himself. I happen to know people who got to meet him and they all agree.

Chiseller
09-08-2008, 07:04 AM
If it weren't for the Large Hardon Collider, Murray most likely would beat Sampras' record by 2012, finishing it off with a Golden Slam. Unfortunately, you know, it won't happen.

oranges
09-08-2008, 07:11 AM
He will probably make several 3rd and 4th rounds and the odd quarter final in Slam events.

EDIT: I have only just noticed .. that is the Croatian flag right? Heh, so poor old Ancic could have been an Aussie player and he wouldn't have known your support perhaps.

You mean just like those non-Croatian players who have it, some ranked significantly lower? As for the rest, I'll be sure to contact you for some betting predictions. :wavey:

oranges
09-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Ancic is arrogant and thinks too highly of himself. I happen to know people who got to meet him and they all agree.

:lol: How appropriate for this thread, even if said about the other guy

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 07:15 AM
You mean just like those non-Croatian players who have it, some ranked significantly lower? As for the rest, I'll be sure to contact you for some betting predictions. :wavey:

That is good, obviously. I just hope you aren't supporting Ancic PURELY because of his nationality, but also his game. Just wanna say, I hope I am wrong because I like him and hope he can win some major tournies.

GlennMirnyi
09-08-2008, 07:19 AM
:lol: How appropriate for this thread, even if said about the other guy

Don't get me wrong. Ancic has a nicer game than Murray, but his forehand is just too soft for tennis nowadays.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
No - he lacks finishing power off both wings. He's just a bumrooter.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 08:37 AM
People are forgetting that the CURRENT Federer is still an awesome player to be reckoned with on hardcourts.

finishingmove
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
No - he lacks finishing power off both wings. He's just a bumrooter.

not to mention the lack of testicular fortitude

bokehlicious
09-08-2008, 08:45 AM
:haha: at this thread, OP to get a high seed comes next ACC :rocker2: :D

SwiSha
09-08-2008, 08:45 AM
so i ask the mods what is worse

me calling Falla a coke dealer or this guy opening bullshit joke threads ? will he get a warning ?

Mimi
09-08-2008, 08:55 AM
well, no offence, wouldn't it be better for you to create this thread after Murray won the title first :p? it would look like a joke if he loses the final :p

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Too many of these.

http://oldstersview.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/magic-mushrooms.jpg

Burrow
09-08-2008, 09:01 AM

more variety, no, can mix spins better, no, better backhand, yes, touch at net, no, better movement, no, better return, only on the backhand side.

1 out of 86 ain't bad.

and no the competition has decreased in recent years, theirs only 4 top players pretty much and all the courts are the same.

Bernard Black
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh Nina, I just posted this in another thread before I read yours:

Unneccessary thread, but funny still

I don't think the bandwagoning has been THAT bad. Mostly just people bumping threads predicting Murray would spend a career as a journeyman pusher, and how many so-called prophets got it horribly WRONG.

and you had to go and embarrass me! You could have at least waited to see if he wins the final :)

Naranoc
09-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Knew who the one yes voter would be before I even clicked it :lol:

Forehander
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Not very likely. The competition is way too high now. It would seriously take somebody SPECTACULAR to full dominate the circuit like Federer did. But if his game fully flourishes and continue to improve his techniques on his strokes there might be a chance. His forehand stroke right now in my opinion is still a little unstable and very injury prone. He's extremely quick and have huge reach though which is great. In general every department of his can still improve by heaps so it's not a 0% chance he can be world number one and dominate for a little bit.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Knew who the one yes voter would be before I even clicked it :lol:

'Twas a joke. Read my actual reply. Murray obviously won't ever be as good as a peak Federer. I doubt anyone will. But hey, pretend I was serious if it makes you feel better.

decrepitude
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh Nina, I just posted this in another thread before I read yours:

and you had to go and embarrass me! You could have at least waited to see if he wins the final :)

Indeed. I thought Nina had gone over to the Djokovic bandwagon, but no, she is back.

Or - maybe she really is a Murray-hater, and just starts these ridiculous threads to make him and his fans a laughing-stock?

Sebby
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
No.

peak Federer's game = perfection.

Mecir
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Yes of course it will - and the pope will convert to Judaism as well!

Peoples
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
To be honest, it's really subjective what "better" is, anyone can have a great streak. Maybe the key issue is a sustained peak level over several years, like Federer or Sampras. I don't even think Nadal has achieved this, or Djokovic, so guessing "yes" would mean Murray beginning to dominate all these guys.

~*BGT*~
09-08-2008, 02:37 PM

me calling Falla a coke dealer or this guy opening bullshit joke threads ? will he get a warning ?

"She" :p

NinaNina19
09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Not very likely. The competition is way too high now. It would seriously take somebody SPECTACULAR to full dominate the circuit like Federer did. But if his game fully flourishes and continue to improve his techniques on his strokes there might be a chance. His forehand stroke right now in my opinion is still a little unstable and very injury prone. He's extremely quick and have huge reach though which is great. In general every department of his can still improve by heaps so it's not a 0% chance he can be world number one and dominate for a little bit.

Btw I'm not talking about domination, just game level. I'm sure that if Federer had tougher competition, he would still dominate, just not lose only 5 matches a year.

NinaNina19
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Indeed. I thought Nina had gone over to the Djokovic bandwagon, but no, she is back.

Or - maybe she really is a Murray-hater, and just starts these ridiculous threads to make him and his fans a laughing-stock?No, I never went over to the Djokovic bandwagon, I just think it's wrong to absolutely crucify a player. I def. like Djokovic more now, but I'm not a hardcore fan or anything. I just felt bad after all of the criticism he got. And no, I'm a Murray fan, maybe a dellusional one, but I'm still a fan.

Okonsky
09-08-2008, 03:26 PM
No. Just... no.

Right.

Johnny Groove
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM

No offense but I think that accusing someone of slinging yay and just being a delusional fangirl are two different things.

Too many of these.

http://oldstersview.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/magic-mushrooms.jpg

ha :lol: Good stuff :yeah:

JolánGagó
09-08-2008, 04:36 PM
As much as I like Muzza, this is just another speeding outta control and no brakes bandwagon thread, sorry.

mikkemus23
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
:worship::haha:Murray will be #4 on Monday, and at worst, only 3960 points behind #1. Today the kid took a huge step towards cementing his GOAT status. If you still doubt, you're just a hater.

Collective
09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Of course he will. And he will turn water into way better wine than Federer... top level Bordeaux baby!

And you forget how better he is compared to Roger when walking on water.

This is getting ridiculous... as of December, 2007 (9 months ago) we were in the muggest of the eras... now the excuse for Murray not dominating the sport once he peaks and plays better than Federer could ever dream of is that "today's competition is way tougher". Give me a break. "Bandwagonest" thread ever.

JolánGagó
09-08-2008, 04:39 PM

hahahaha

priceless.

(well he isn't but Goran certainly was :lol:)

l_mac
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
:banghead:

tennizen
09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Now that Murray is 1-5 against Nadal this obviously means he is ready to take away his #1 crown and become the most dominant player in the history of tennis. I predict he will win every slam until at least 2013, when a new generation will come along who can hopefully challenge him.

:haha: You always crack me up.

GlennMirnyi
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Peak Stepanek vs peak Murray, whats the score?

6/4 6/7 7/6 6/3 Murray. Match-up is a killer for Steps.

Tutu
09-08-2008, 05:41 PM
:spit:

Peak Murray will triple bagel Peak Federer 6-4 6-4 6-4! :hearts: :inlove:

:retard:

Naranoc
09-08-2008, 05:59 PM
'Twas a joke. Read my actual reply. Murray obviously won't ever be as good as a peak Federer. I doubt anyone will. But hey, pretend I was serious if it makes you feel better.

My mistake then, but you're not really known for a sense of humour around here so I suppose it was an easy one to make.

platinum
09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Can Murray beat fed today??????

r2473
09-08-2008, 06:28 PM

This is ridiculous. You are completely ignoring the obvious fact that Del Potro is much better than a peak Federer or Murray.

Sheesh!

MacTheKnife
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
There's so much BS on this forum it's friggin' hilarious.. :haha::haha:

Clydey
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
My mistake then, but you're not really known for a sense of humour around here so I suppose it was an easy one to make.

Well, I don't use smileys. So even when I'm joking, people tend to take me seriously. They tend to confuse being dry with being serious.

See>>>> :)

groundstroke
09-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Comments like this are always exceptionally infuriating. Tennis hasn't been around for THAT many years, and you think nobody will ever have more variety than Federer? What is it with idi... people who say "so n so will always be the greatest nobody will ever be better than him." sort of shit? It is VERY BLOODY likely that unless the world is destroyed soon or the sport of tennis dies very abruptly over the next several years that some player is gonna come along who has more variety than whoever it is who up to now has had the most variety in tennis.
Federer is super rare, he's like 1 in a 1000 and even raising that talent completely takes some extreme work. There very well may be a player that has more variety than Federer - but it will never be an English player, so break your hopes up now, I don't think anybody will ever dominate again like Federer and I don't think there will be someone as good as him in their peak because you need to get big players consistently and have winning records of 85-3 (end of 2005). Don't get angry just because no one will be as good as Federer. :)

biological
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
:haha:

Classic.

Jimnik
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
There very well may be a player that has more variety than Federer - but it will never be an English player, so break your hopes up now, ....
Lucky that Murray is Scottish then. :p

I couldn't resist.

groundstroke
09-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Lucky that Murray is Scottish then. :p

I couldn't resist.
Scottish clowns don't count either.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Federer is super rare, he's like 1 in a 1000 and even raising that talent completely takes some extreme work. There very well may be a player that has more variety than Federer - but it will never be an English player, so break your hopes up now, I don't think anybody will ever dominate again like Federer and I don't think there will be someone as good as him in their peak because you need to get big players consistently and have winning records of 85-3 (end of 2005). Don't get angry just because no one will be as good as Federer. :)

What? This response just takes the buscuit. Given tennis' short life span so far it is almost GUARANTEED that a FEW players will come along who are better than Federer is/has been. Also, what hopes did I have of it being an English/British player?? I am a massive Federer fan and don't give a rats ass about the players nationality. Your thinking is completely illogical. I am pretty sure you will see better players in your own lifetime, let alone after you are dead.

casabe
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
no

Smash.
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
No :rolleyes:

Merton
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
This is just an attempt to get a high seed at the ACC.

SwiSha
09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
No offense but I think that accusing someone of slinging yay and just being a delusional fangirl are two different things.

None taken

i asked what is worse, but thanks to clarify that it is different

Henry Kaspar
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Murray's game won't develop much more. 21 years is breakthrough time, either he makes it now or he won't.

Arkulari
09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
of course not

lisaplenske
09-18-2008, 12:01 AM
You cant be serious!:haha:

no seriously, the day murray will be able to win on a surface different from hard courts and become a complete player lets talk again ok?:drink:
for now he is just good fast court player, nothing to compare King Federer at his best.Long way too go for murray to equal Federer.

-->--->--->:zzz:

Forehander
09-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Murray is reading this thread.

SheepleBuster
09-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Murray is a great player, but I think it's disgusting that he gets to create 5 accounts and vote for himself. I mean come on man. Win the grand slam first, talk of GOAT will be after...

cocrcici
09-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Murray is reading this thread.

of course:)

BIGMARAT
09-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Murray is 22, what improvement development are you talking about? You have seen the best of him, its just now a matter of being consistent.

And to go back to the original question, Federer best A game is better by a thousand mile.

MatchFederer
09-18-2008, 01:14 AM
Why isn't the bandwagon option leading this poll *question mark*

fast_clay
09-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Competition is much higher now, so I doubt anyone will dominate like Fed did. Besides, it's far too early to make such judgements. Does he have the talent? Sure. Does he have the mental toughness and consistency? We'll have to wait and see.

... yeah... the 'mug years' may be coming to an end... hopefully...

True, I don't expect him to dominate like Federer. The competition is much tougher than Roddick, Safin, Hewitt.

true... those guys had a lot of trouble... not just with federer... but some that they carried from birth... Hewitt (gimp gene) Roddick (gimp gene) Safin (defective body) Blake (gimp)

Why isn't the bandwagon option leading this poll *question mark*

i am disappointed also... the murray hate is not as it should be...

finishingmove
09-18-2008, 01:52 AM
i am disappointed also... the murray hate is not as it should be...

well.. it is to be expected. the hate is experiencing a local minimum during his breakthrough times.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4268/graphjz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fast_clay
09-18-2008, 02:05 AM
well.. it is to be expected. the hate is experiencing a local minimum during his breakthrough times.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4268/graphjz2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:yeah: :lol:

thank you my friend...

i had a rough idea of the hate/time relationship... tho, nothing with such clarity...

superslam77
09-18-2008, 02:10 AM
:haha: thread

Merton
09-18-2008, 02:47 AM

:lol: Good try but I think hate increases more than support with success, for the simple reason that haters are much more vocal than fans.

fast_clay
09-18-2008, 02:55 AM
:lol: Good try but I think hate increases more than support with success, for the simple reason that haters are much more vocal than fans.

yes... i agree... tho, as the visual shows, there will be a slight dip in hate... the reason for this lull i suspect is explained as simply 'inactivity' after a two week breakthrough...and, if the graph is correct, on friday when Murray plays Davis Cup we should see Murray reaching a hate factor of 9... which is pretty high... tho djokovic's graph understandably required two threads....

Clydey
09-18-2008, 04:12 AM
There very well may be a player that has more variety than Federer - but it will never be an English player, so break your hopes up now, I don't

I don't recall anyone mentioning an English player. Are you trying to kid yourself on that Murray is English or something? I don't get it.

federernadalfan
09-18-2008, 04:38 AM
no, it will be almost impossible for anyone to hit federer's peak game

RagingLamb
09-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I don't know about Murray, but I don't see why people think Federer's peak will never be matched. Of course it will, and it will be surpassed.

fast_clay
09-18-2008, 05:46 AM
I don't know about Murray, but I don't see why people think Federer's peak will never be matched. Of course it will, and it will be surpassed.

its true.. i fully agree...

for years i thought i would have to live a life without borg's wimbledon record ever being broken... how long would i have to wait before the next 5-in-a-row great rolled around...?

and now after my time on MTF i see what the true question is... how long would i have to wait before the next mug era rolled around...?

ballbasher101
09-18-2008, 05:59 AM

Federer is a one off I mean one off. His record will not be broken in our lifetime if ever. Yes people will say that records are made to be broken well Federer's records are unbreakable.

juninhOH
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
it's ridiculous to say the 'competition was weak' 4 years ago and is 'much stronger now'.

why?

well, federer/nadal made the finals of almost every important tournaments of this year:

miami, monaco, hamburg, roland garros, wimbledon, toronto/montreal, us open

they did not made the finals of: australian open, indian wells, cincinnati
the only didn't make the finals of every single important tournament because federer played subpar

ballbasher101
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't recall anyone mentioning an English player. Are you trying to kid yourself on that Murray is English or something? I don't get it.

Yes Murray is Scottish but he is also BRITISH. It confuses people the whole English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish thing especially the Americans. Americans should just stick to British so as not to offend people. Yes some Irish people will object to being called British but thats another story.

freestyler
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
No

decrepitude
09-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Murray is 22, what improvement development are you talking about? You have seen the best of him, its just now a matter of being consistent.

And to go back to the original question, Federer best A game is better by a thousand mile.

21. And not all players mature at the same age. Some play their best young, some when older.

RagingLamb
09-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Federer is a one off I mean one off. His record will not be broken in our lifetime if ever. Yes people will say that records are made to be broken well Federer's records are unbreakable.

That's really just based on your opinion. I really don't see a basis for it.

No one predicted we would have a 'Federer' in 2000 either, and yet here we are.

leng jai
09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I doubt Federer's incredible number of frame backhands this year will be broken ever.

ballbasher101
09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
That's really just based on your opinion. I really don't see a basis for it.

No one predicted we would have a 'Federer' in 2000 either, and yet here we are.

The guy has won 5 wimbledons in a roll and 5 US opens in a roll, top that :worship:. The amount of consecutive finals and semi-finals in majors is :worship:.

RagingLamb
09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
The guy has won 5 wimbledons in a roll and 5 US opens in a roll, top that :worship:. The amount of consecutive finals and semi-finals in majors is :worship:.

no question that his performance is impeccable. But it's not the upper limit of tennis performance.

JolánGagó
09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
I didn't know there was a known viable "upper limit of tennis performance" :scratch:

JolánGagó
09-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes some Irish people will object to being called British but thats another story.

All Irish people from the Republic of Ireland will object to being called British and rightly so, they aren't.

Ceri
09-18-2008, 06:00 PM
AHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAA. Ahem. No. As if!

Chiseller
09-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Long live the Queer! eh.. Queen!

ballbasher101
09-18-2008, 06:38 PM
All Irish people from the Republic of Ireland will object to being called British and rightly so, they aren't.

I should have been more specific, I meant Northen Ireland which is part of the UK.

superhoops
09-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Even as a Murray fan myself I say know, Fed in top form is bloody amazing better than nadal and to be honest I don't think anyone can reach them heights, the only one with a chance is Djoko, Nadal and Muzza don't play the right style for it.

MIMIC
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Who knows? In Federer's early years, did anyone think he'd get close to Sampras?

ballbasher101
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Who knows? In Federer's early years, did anyone think he'd get close to Sampras?

I knew he would get close to Sampras, just joking. I have been a fan of Federer for over five years and saw him winning his first major. Did I see him getting to 13 majors, the answer would be NO. I thought that Federer was going to win 6 majors but he exceeded my expectations by a long way.

~Maya~
09-19-2008, 02:19 PM

Agree. Who knows

Federer deserves all respect for his game but what's up with this ego that some Fed fans have? I mean, "How dare you think that some other guy can be as good as Fed?" "How dare you to think that some other guy can be better than Fed?" :rolleyes:
NinaNina has opinion that Murray's game has plenty of room for improvement and wanted to see what others think. People just couldn't state their own opinion without ridiculing her. Very immature IMO.

:hatoff: to those who answered in an appropriate manner

HarryMan
09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Mateya
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
:lol:

Well, Murray can at least beat Gilles, while Federror failed twice.
:tape:

Spes
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I hope this was a...joke? Yes?

That's just ridiculous. His forehand will never be a weapon until he changes his grip and his backhand isn't good enough to single-handedly win him matches. His anticipation is good but he doesn't move half as well as Federer. You make the point that his game is still developing but I would guess that it is pretty close to the best we will see from him. He doesn't have the potential to improve a lot in his game.

Bernard Black
11-11-2008, 01:06 PM

That's just ridiculous. His forehand will never be a weapon until he changes his grip and his backhand isn't good enough to single-handedly win him matches. His anticipation is good but he doesn't move half as well as Federer. You make the point that his game is still developing but I would guess that it is pretty close to the best we will see from him. He doesn't have the potential to improve a lot in his game.

Oh come on, you're reverse-bandwagoning here.

So his forehand isn't a weapon, backhand isn't a match winning shot, his movement is by far not up there with the best and there is absolutely no room for improvement in his game...

if you're right, how the hell is he winning all these matches? His game was good enough to annihilate your beloved Djokovic. Give the guy a bit of credit.

JolánGagó
11-11-2008, 01:58 PM
if you're right, how the hell is he winning all these matches? His game was good enough to annihilate your beloved Djokovic.

Anyone can annihilate Djoker nowadays, he's just been bagueled by Denko of all people.

theDreamer
11-11-2008, 02:52 PM

What grip does he use? Western?
His forehand always looks awkward to me. He doesn't get much penetration with his normal
rally forehands, and when he tries to flatten it out, can be very hit or miss (its been more hit
lately tho.

Clydey
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
What grip does he use? Western?
His forehand always looks awkward to me. He doesn't get much penetration with his normal
rally forehands, and when he tries to flatten it out, can be very hit or miss (its been more hit
lately tho.

His top spin forehand is a liability and has cost him a lot of matches. When he can flatten it out, it's a real weapon.

He needs to try and get the ball deeper on his top spin forehand. It has bugger all to do with his grip, despite what AjDe says. He doesn't think Murrays backhand is a weapon, so take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Arkulari
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
bandwagon thread, the quest for ACC has begun :rolleyes:

Clydey
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
bandwagon thread, the quest for ACC has begun :rolleyes:

What exactly is ACC anyway? That's a few times I've seen that and I don't know what it means.

Tyler_Durden
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
What exactly is ACC anyway? That's a few times I've seen that and I don't know what it means.

ass clown contest!!

cmon mate even I know that :) :devil:

Clydey
11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
ass clown contest!!

cmon mate even I know that :) :devil:

People just say "ACC". That's the first time I've seen someone say what it is! :D

l_mac
11-11-2008, 09:02 PM
People just say "ACC". That's the first time I've seen someone say what it is! :D

The field is considerably weakened due to the temp ban of Clay Death (cert to win, but can't be included) and the perma ban of ezekiel :sad:

You are expected to do well.

Tyler_Durden
11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
The field is considerably weakened due to the temp ban of Clay Death (cert to win, but can't be included) and the perma ban of ezekiel :sad:

:lol:

love your sig as well :)

Clydey
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM

Don't lump me in with the illiterate fanboys.

Lump me in with the well educated, articulate fanboys.

Cheers.

Federerhingis
11-11-2008, 11:41 PM
True, I don't expect him to dominate like Federer. The competition is much tougher than Roddick, Safin, Hewitt.

It's easy just trying to point out the "obvious" Nonetheless, it's all about perspective and point of view, some will say this generation is much more competititive than the generation of 2000-2005

Nevertheless, Safin for example is every bit as talented if not more talented than Murray. Besides Roger experienced quite a few times what it was like to play Safin at his near best if not at his best and those matches are every bit as great as any match ever played before. Roger and Safin alone are every bit as talented and in my opinion alone better than all this new generation put together.

Hewitt may not qualify as a more talented player than the current crop of up and coming new stars, yet you'l find it hard to find a more mentally tough match player than Mr. C'm on.

This comparison is rather absurd if one only looks at one of the factors that entail talented and being a "great" player. Besides Federer didn't beat the likes of Hewitt and Roddick just because they were "inferior" "mere chumps" and just untalented, he beat them because he was a far better player and it's all about matchups, confidence and execution, all which were in Rogers favor when he dominated the aforementioned.

In turn this thread can turn out to be a bit prematurish and "bandwagony" despite the fact that Murray is a great talent, that's undeniable. Yet it's too soon to say how great he can be, see what's happening currently with Novak, everyone touted him to be the next best thing and look how all the pressure has got to him and how his level has suffered and so has his win to loss record.

Byrd
11-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I heard when Murray hits peak he'll be challenging God for the throne of heaven.

Game.Set.Match..
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
heaven should be so lucky...

Arkulari
11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
blasphemy! :eek:
The Gooch is the King of the Tennis Gods, the Lord of the Balls, the Ruler of the Courts! :D