"The level of tennis has gotten better" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"The level of tennis has gotten better"

Kworb
09-08-2008, 12:10 AM
First Blake, then Djokovic, now Murray. Why do these guys pretend that Federer is playing as well as ever? Admitting that Federer's best tennis is at a level much higher than other players will ever reach is nothing to be embarrassed about. This year he is not as good as before, that's why other guys have a chance against him, not because "the level of tennis has gotten better". Give me a break.

Why do you think that Federer's colleagues make such delusional statements?

Jaz
09-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Federer is not playing his best Tennis... True. Murray, and Nadal have also improved.

JimmyV
09-08-2008, 03:16 AM
This thread is http://www.pathwaytours.com/YakovSmirnoff.jpg

CyBorg
09-08-2008, 03:22 AM
This is a very good example of why players' opinions about anything are irrelevant. Players are not analysts nor historians. They are very talented and know what to do on their own behalf to win.

What comes out of their mouth can at best be amusingly sardonic. Otherwise we can all just hit our mute buttons.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 03:24 AM
So tennis hasn't improved? The top guys now don't compare to an ageing Agassi, Roddick, Safin and Hewitt? Right...

Mechlan
09-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Well it would be downright stupid of him to say Federer is not as good as he used to be.

Cyborg also makes a good point.

Plus it's true, the level of tennis has gotten better. So...what's the problem?

Becker's Volleys
09-08-2008, 09:54 AM
The depth at the very top of the game has definitely gone up, however it's also true that Nadal's rise to prominance for much of this year and the fact his game has developed and gone up a level in all facets, Fed had gone a bit stale somewhat and was unable to recapture his consistently brilliant form of previous years. Nadal was producing amazing stuff, but Fed wasn't quite himself.

Next year will be the acid test for Nadal. If Fed wins this slam it'll be a huge boost for his confidence which is already on the up again, he'll enter next yesr reinvigorated and with extra motivation, plus the likes of Djok and Murray will also be challenging at the tail end of slams. If Tsonga can recover well and the likes of Ferrer and Nalbandian find consistent form there'll be great competition and of couse there's the mercurial Marat. :)

Peoples
09-08-2008, 01:16 PM
It's very hard to prove unless you compare match statistics but I wouldn't take Murray's word for it - just can't be objective on this. They also don't watch a lot of each others matches.

tennis2tennis
09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
First Blake, then Djokovic, now Murray. Why do these guys pretend that Federer is playing as well as ever? Admitting that Federer's best tennis is at a level much higher than other players will ever reach is nothing to be embarrassed about. This year he is not as good as before, that's why other guys have a chance against him, not because "the level of tennis has gotten better". Give me a break.

Why do you think that Federer's colleagues make such delusional statements?

they were talking about the on the radio and this guys says something along the lines of "I'm no mathematician but the probability of everyone improving rather than roger declining is very low"

MIMIC
09-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Admitting that Federer's best tennis is at a level much higher than other players will ever reach is nothing to be embarrassed about.

That's an awesome crystal ball you have there. :rolleyes:

azinna
09-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, it's not as if Federer was unbeatable last season....

And I'm all for players *not* admitting in public that Fed just has to regain some form to return to dominance. First, it may be untrue. Second, you want to go out there with no questions about your ability to beat this guy. And third, you want the guy to keep entertaining any questions he may have about his relative ability to dominate.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Federer is playing just about as good as ever, the competition is much better. I know it's sacrilege but he's not far off his 2007 AO form. The competition is simply that much better.

MacTheKnife
09-08-2008, 04:49 PM
better than what..

Pea
09-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Blake beat Fed this year. Enough said.

Peoples
09-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Federer is playing just about as good as ever, the competition is much better. I know it's sacrilege but he's not far off his 2007 AO form. The competition is simply that much better.
Lost to:
Blake, Karlovic, Simon, Stepanek, Roddick, Fish are ALL THAT MUCH better THIS season? :lol:

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 05:10 PM
better than what..

Are U serious? The quality of talent is the best ever right now. Look at the top 5 man!

MacTheKnife
09-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Are U serious? The quality of talent is the best ever right now. Look at the top 5 man!

Am I serious about what. The question is better than what ? last year, the 90s, the 80s, yesterday.. I repeat better than what ??

This thread will be merged with the era thread. Same discussion.

Synthesis
09-08-2008, 05:54 PM
The only area the current top 5 doesn't measure up to the late 70s early 80s greats are net transition game and volleying. But when they're all the best baseliners ever, who cares?

groundstroke
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
So, a clueless tennis fan knows more than the players's opinions themselves about their colleagues? Clown, leave.

Kworb
09-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Federer shows glimpses of his old form and schools Djokovic and Murray. Let's hope they show some respect next time they hold a press conference.

Forehander
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Obviously you don't play tennis at all.

Synthesis
09-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Forehander - I don't play tennis but I know what I see. I have the old videos of Roger and his movement and footwork is almost back to peak-Fed. His forehand is as devastating as ever, the serve is as good ever. Only the backhand needs a bit of work.

Kworb
09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
His net play is many levels below what it was. His forehand has become more error prone. His serve is not as consistent as it used to be. Yes, the JesusFed never left him, but the number of times He shows up during a match has drastically decreased.

Peoples
09-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Forehander - I don't play tennis but I know what I see. I have the old videos of Roger and his movement and footwork is almost back to peak-Fed. His forehand is as devastating as ever, the serve is as good ever. Only the backhand needs a bit of work.
Wrong, just go back to watching those old videos. Get another TV and put this year's videos on the other one.

oz_boz
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Too early to tell if 3 and 4 of now will be better than Hewitt, Safin and Roddick, but they are already on par with Nalby, Davy and above Ljubo achievementwise, so yes, the top is a tad better than it's been for some years. Unfortunately Fed of 08 is a notch below his 04-early 07 form - obvious as he does lose to players who have not gotten close to him during that period and not improved since.

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
His net play is many levels below what it was. His forehand has become more error prone. His serve is not as consistent as it used to be. Yes, the JesusFed never left him, but the number of times He shows up during a match has drastically decreased.

Yep. Late 06- early 07 = the best tennis form I have seen from any player since I have been watching seriously... which would be 1995.

dorkgirl
09-09-2008, 06:07 PM
It's not just quality, it's belief. Once the likes of Djokovic, Murray and Nadal started showing that Federer could be beaten, the 'lesser' players, like Blake and Fish lost a little of that reverence and awe about Federer that most of the tour could never get past. Feds won an extra point in a game just by stepping on court, he doesn't have that this year, and probably won't have again.

oz_boz
09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
It's not just quality, it's belief. Once the likes of Djokovic, Murray and Nadal started showing that Federer could be beaten, the 'lesser' players, like Blake and Fish lost a little of that reverence and awe about Federer that most of the tour could never get past. Feds won an extra point in a game just by stepping on court, he doesn't have that this year, and probably won't have again.

Why did not his losses against inexperienced guys like Nadal and Berdych in 2004, Gasquet and Nadal 2005, Murray 2006 help other players in their belief, or not have effect until 2008?

Mono or not, Fed is playing worse. Quality of top is a bit better overall too.