Andy Murray and Miloslav "Big Cat" Mecir [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray and Miloslav "Big Cat" Mecir

Henry Kaspar
09-07-2008, 03:19 AM
I saw a commetary today that compares these two champions -- and I agree, Murray resembles Mecir not only physically but also stylewise. This calm, smooth game that keeps the opponent on the backfoot by the permanently but unpredictablly changing speed and finding the weirdest angles on the court -- I've seen this before (and loved it).

Forehander
09-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Two champions?

CyBorg
09-07-2008, 04:02 AM
I suppose you could say that there is a similarity. Murray indeed plays smooth and effortless - a luxury car of a player. Like Murray Mecir would move like a gazelle, spraying the ball from corner to corner and utilize angles to the extreme. Mecir also had a propensity for spectacular passing shots and we saw a few from Murray on Saturday - he'd go fairly steady-as-it-goes and then when the opportunity presents itself *bam*, Nadal doesn't know what hit him.

Unlike Mecir though, Murray is pretty firey. Mecir was known for being a bit laid back. Too layed back perhaps to win the big one. I think Murray may win a few big ones.

EnriqueIG8
09-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Murray isn't even a "Champion" yet.

leng jai
09-07-2008, 04:17 AM
When did Murray obtain "champion" status? When he showed us his herculean guns that allowed him to come back against tennis god Jurgen Melzer?

oliviasmith
09-07-2008, 04:23 AM
now that's a name i haven't heard in years. he had a beautiful game.

habibko
09-07-2008, 04:28 AM
in a way Murray's game is quite something, I used to think of him as a defensive baseliner but when I see the way he constructs the points and hits winners when you least expect them and how opportunistic his game is I find it hard to just say he is all defense, I believe Murray's game is still evolving and yet to be complete but the way he is building it is quite special.

of course before we compare him to champions he has to win a slam at least, this thread is a little (or much?) ahead of time

When did Murray obtain "champion" status? When he showed us his herculean guns that allowed him to come back against tennis god Jurgen Melzer?

:worship: :haha:

FairWeatherFan
09-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Hopefully he displays more mental fortitude than the nervous Mecir. I wish him well because his game is very intelligent.

Kolya
09-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Mecir > Murray.

Mecir had more grace and deception than anyone.

Action Jackson
09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Things they have in common, two hand backhands, dry wit, both have the last name that begin with M, that's where it ends.

Laba
09-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Big (& Little) Cat > Murray :)

Jaap
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Murray will be a grand slam champion, something that Mecir never achieved.

JolánGagó
09-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Murray will be a grand slam champion, something that Mecir never achieved.

True.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I think they are very similar, i just hope (though i am yet to be convinced) that andy is made with greater mental strength than mecir had.

People are blind if they can not see all the things that Andy has at his disposal. I think he will be no1 one day if he can put it all together

JolánGagó
09-07-2008, 09:42 AM
People are blind if they can not see all the things that Andy has at his disposal. I think he will be no1 one day if he can put it all together

Bandwagon speeding out of control.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Bandwagon speeding out of control.

Not bandwagon at all - read my posts from a long time ago

I always knew how good potentially he could be and it is still potentially. I believe health willing his best tennis is still a year or two away.

He did well as a youth but was always very skinny and weak. He is adding strength and fitness and is slowly learning how to use the tools at his disposal. He still struggles to find the balance between defense and attack but he is slowly getting there. If he has it mentally is a question to be fully answered but we will see.

The fact that he has ruthlessly cast aside coaches that dont share his vision of development should tell you a thing or two

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Things they have in common, two hand backhands, dry wit, both have the last name that begin with M, that's where it ends.

I am suprised still to this day that you are not really an admirer of andys skills pmk. I thought you would have admired his variety of strokes

Wolbo
09-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Bandwagon speeding out of control.Not at all. In terms of intrinsic talent he has got what it takes to be a no.1.

Now talent alone doesn't get you there and Murray has to keep working on his relative weak points. His physical condition has improved a lot this year but will still have to get better. And he needs to become more stable, learn to keep himself under control better and work on the erratic nature of his game.

As Lallaby said if he can get all that together he has a great chance of reaching the no.1 spot.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Not at all. In terms of intrinsic talent he has got what it takes to be a no.1.

Now talent alone doesn't get you there and Murray has to keep working on his relative weak points. His physical condition has improved a lot this year but will still have to get better. And he needs to become more stable, learn to keep himself under control better and work on the erratic nature of his game.

As Lallaby said if he can get all that together he has a great chance of reaching the no.1 spot.

Exactly his inconsistency can be so frustrating to even his biggest fans. He can be as bad as he can be brilliant on any given day at the moment.

The biggest thing which will hold him back is that it will be difficult for him to excel on clay imo

Action Jackson
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I am suprised still to this day that you are not really an admirer of andys skills pmk. I thought you would have admired his variety of strokes

Actually that is not it. Generalising is wrong and we are all guilty of it to an extent, the facts are I don't mind Murray or his game, I just don't like the majority of his fanbase, who overrate his successes and Jolan mentioned the bandwagon factor and it's definitely apparent with him.

He is not in the Mecir class, seriously you can't compare with someone that long ago and learnt to play the game with a wooden racquet, to someone in this current age. Kucera is much closer to Mecir, than what Murray is.

Like I said about their similarities and where it ends.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Actually that is not it. Generalising is wrong and we are all guilty of it to an extent, the facts are I don't mind Murray or his game, I just don't like the majority of his fanbase, who overrate his successes and Jolan mentioned the bandwagon factor and it's definitely apparent with him.

He is not in the Mecir class, seriously you can't compare with someone that long ago and learnt to play the game with a wooden racquet, to someone in this current age. Kucera is much closer to Mecir, than what Murray is.

Fair enough, coming from a success starved country like britain any decent sportsman is hyped to the extreme especially by the press. With me though, andy is one of the few that I believe will actually live up to the hype

Action Jackson
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Fair enough, coming from a success starved country like britain any decent sportsman is hyped to the extreme especially by the press. With me though, andy is one of the few that I believe will actually live up to the hype

The whole Mecir thing started from the classic Brad Gilbert hyperbole. Yes, Murray has variety and looks like he is asleep at times, but there are significant differences.

It's the classic if he wins he is British, if he loses he is Scottish. Time will tell.

Henry Kaspar
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
in a way Murray's game is quite something, I used to think of him as a defensive baseliner but when I see the way he constructs the points and hits winners when you least expect them and how opportunistic his game is I find it hard to just say he is all defense, I believe Murray's game is still evolving and yet to be complete but the way he is building it is quite special.

of course before we compare him to champions he has to win a slam at least, this thread is a little (or much?) ahead of time

:worship: :haha:

Well Mecir also never won a slam. Substitute "great players" if you wish.

CyBorg
09-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Murray won the Cincinnati Masters. That's enough. Mecir also never won a grand slam title, but was victorious at the 128-man Miami event in 1987 and also won a gold medal.

CyBorg
09-07-2008, 06:47 PM

I don't think we'll ever have anyone like Mecir. Murray is about as 'unusual' as a hardcourt player gets today, considering the homogeneity of styles. The seeming effortlessness to Murray's game may remind some of Mecir and I think that's fair, but they're far from being the same type of player. Mecir is one of a kind.

Ays25
09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
mecir and stich were somewhat similar
they were both joy to watch on court
i dont think murray is up with them

leng jai
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Murray won the Cincinnati Masters. That's enough. Mecir also never won a grand slam title, but was victorious at the 128-man Miami event in 1987 and also won a gold medal.

Tommy Robredo has been a champion for 3 years already then.

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
We might have some laughs in a few years´ time with these threads

CyBorg
09-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Tommy Robredo has been a champion for 3 years already then.

Sure. Once a champion, always a champion.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't think we'll ever have anyone like Mecir. Murray is about as 'unusual' as a hardcourt player gets today, considering the homogeneity of styles. The seeming effortlessness to Murray's game may remind some of Mecir and I think that's fair, but they're far from being the same type of player. Mecir is one of a kind.

Well Mecir did make at least the semis of every Slam at least once, Murray won't do that on clay. Also he won 3 TMS events in addition to the 2 GS finals.

You made the important point, it's because he is slightly different to the majority of the cattle on tour at the moment, that this kind of stuff is coming out. But as for being similar not close.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 02:26 AM
Well Mecir did make at least the semis of every Slam at least once, Murray won't do that on clay. Also he won 3 TMS events in addition to the 2 GS finals.

You made the important point, it's because he is slightly different to the majority of the cattle on tour at the moment, that this kind of stuff is coming out. But as for being similar not close.

Their movement and ability to anticipate isn't comparable?

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Their movement and ability to anticipate isn't comparable?

The ability. One learnt the game when he was 14 was all natural ability and didn't have the benefit of quality coaching or finanical assistance duriing his important development years, in fact Mecir didn't have a coach at all. When Murray wins a TMS, make finals or semis of big events on clay or trains on grass barefooted and still hits the middle of the racquet consistently, then maybe. Fact is Mecir is very unique and there isn't a comparison.

Murray does not move like Mecir, the builds are different for one, and no Murray does not glide across the court like Mecir, there is a reason that he was called the Big Cat. Does Murray move well across the court, yes he does and he does have excellent anticipation, but that doesn't mean he is comparable to Mecir.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 03:11 AM
The ability. One learnt the game when he was 14 was all natural ability and didn't have the benefit of quality coaching or finanical assistance duriing his important development years, in fact Mecir didn't have a coach at all. When Murray wins a TMS, make finals or semis of big events on clay or trains on grass barefooted and still hits the middle of the racquet consistently, then maybe. Fact is Mecir is very unique and there isn't a comparison.

Murray does not move like Mecir, the builds are different for one, and no Murray does not glide across the court like Mecir, there is a reason that he was called the Big Cat. Does Murray move well across the court, yes he does and he does have excellent anticipation, but that doesn't mean he is comparable to Mecir.

How they developed is irrelevant. I'm not sure why that was brought up, since we're talking about how they play the game. Federer's achievements aren't less noteworthy because of how he trains or how he developed.

I disagree. I think Murray does glide across the court. He's definitely a graceful mover. He's different to a mover like Rafa, who is all power.

Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but someone or something cannot be "very unique". "Unique" means one of a kind. Sorry, just a pet hate of mine, like when someone writes "an historic". :)

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Seriously, the clothes players wear now makes their movement look less silky, with all these baggy shorts.

guga2120
09-08-2008, 03:17 AM

Yeah thats all nice, but what if he wins tommorrow?

JimmyV
09-08-2008, 03:19 AM
Seriously, the clothes players wear now makes their movement look less silky, with all these baggy shorts.

Yea, this is a hot look.

http://murdocklondon.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/john-mcenroe-gentry-style.jpg

JimmyV
09-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Those damn baggy shorts, I wanna see Calleri and Baghdatis running around in those bad boys.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Yeah thats all nice, but what if he wins tommorrow?

Coria, Rios and Nalbandian are better players than Gaudio at their respective peaks, but guess who won the Slam.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 03:31 AM
How they developed is irrelevant. I'm not sure why that was brought up, since we're talking about how they play the game. Federer's achievements aren't less noteworthy because of how he trains or how he developed.

I disagree. I think Murray does glide across the court. He's definitely a graceful mover. He's different to a mover like Rafa, who is all power.

Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but someone or something cannot be "very unique". "Unique" means one of a kind. Sorry, just a pet hate of mine, like when someone writes "an historic". :)

Federer has zero relevance to this conversation. You probably already think Murray is a better player than Federer.

Murray has an excellent anticipation does not mean he automatically glides across the court does it? He moves well, but not like Mecir. Federer glides across the court, but he isn't considered like Mecir is he in regards to his movement.

As for being pedantic, I will go through all of your posts from now on and look for the typos and mistakes :). When you learn to write or speak a second language, then let me know.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Federer has zero relevance to this conversation. You probably already think Murray is a better player than Federer.

Murray has an excellent anticipation does not mean he automatically glides across the court does it? He moves well, but not like Mecir.

As for being pedantic, well English isn't my first language, but I will go through all of your posts from now on and look for the typos and mistakes :)

I tried to make clear that I wasn't being critical of your grammar. I even offered a smiley, which I rarely do. If you choose to take it as an insult, so be it. Good luck finding grammatical errors in my posts.

And no, I don't think Murray is better than Federer. Not even close. I'd rather you not confuse me with some delirious fanboy. I'm fully aware of Murray's strengths and weaknesses. I might be a Murray fan, but I'm also a realist. That's why I predicted a Rafa win today.

I don't recall saying that Murray's anticipation automatically means he moves like Mecir. I said, in my opinion, Murray moves like Mecir. I can see the similarity and can see why such comparisons are viable. You seem to take offence to any comparison of today's athletes with the athletes of years gone by.

Also, I brought Federer in as an example. It was you who inexplicably raised the issue of training methods and player development. Neither are even remotely relevant.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 03:53 AM
I tried to make clear that I wasn't being critical of your grammar. I even offered a smiley, which I rarely do. If you choose to take it as an insult, so be it. Good luck finding grammatical errors in my posts.

And no, I don't think Murray is better than Federer. Not even close. I'd rather you not confuse me with some delirious fanboy. I'm fully aware of Murray's strengths and weaknesses. I might be a Murray fan, but I'm also a realist. That's why I predicted a Rafa win today.

I don't recall saying that Murray's anticipation automatically means he moves like Mecir. I said, in my opinion, Murray moves like Mecir. I can see the similarity and can see why such comparisons are viable. You seem to take offence to any comparison of today's athletes with the athletes of years gone by.

Also, I brought Federer in as an example. It was you who inexplicably raised the issue of training methods and player development. Neither are even remotely relevant.

Come on, thought you'd have got the tone of my response when it came to the pedantic nature of things.

cyborg made the most important point here. It's the fact that Murray is different from the ballbashing clones on hardcourt in addition to the other points that were made, slightly lazy manner on court, 2 hand backhands and have a last name beginning with M, there isn't much more than that.

Kucera in fact is a lot closer to Mecir, aesthetically than what Murray is. It's clear enough as to why.

It's just very lazy that individuals can't be seen as individuals and not compared to someone else. He is the first Andy Murray not comparable to Mecir.

It was you asked me about natural ability when it came to them. If one player (Mecir) had no specific tennis training and development and made a success out of his career before suffering a career ending back problem, then of course I am going to rate them higher in that particular field.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 04:01 AM
Come on, thought you'd have got the tone of my response when it came to the pedantic nature of things.

cyborg made the most important point here. It's the fact that Murray is different from the ballbashing clones on hardcourt in addition to the other points that were made, slightly lazy manner on court, 2 hand backhands and have a last name beginning with M, there isn't much more than that.

Kucera in fact is a lot closer to Mecir, aesthetically than what Murray is. It's clear enough as to why.

It's just very lazy that individuals can't be seen as individuals and not compared to someone else. He is the first Andy Murray not comparable to Mecir.

It was you asked me about natural ability when it came to them. If one player (Mecir) had no specific tennis training and development and made a success out of his career before suffering a career ending back problem, then of course I am going to rate them higher in that particular field.

I didn't say a word about natural ability. I mentioned their ability to anticipate. Besides, if an ability is natural it has little to do with development. It is innate.

So if Murray were to win, for example, 3 Grand Slams would that be enough to make him a better player than Mecir? Bear in mind that I had no intention of comparing their overall ability. It's you who seems intent on doing so.

I don't think you can rate a player based on what might have been or how good they might have been had they developed earlier etc. We judge based on results. Someone like Murray shouldn't have to double Mecir's success to be considered a better player, simply because he picked up a racquet at an earlier age.

prima donna
09-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Hahahahaha.

TMJordan
09-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Big Cat > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Sheep Shagger.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 04:09 AM
I didn't say a word about natural ability. I mentioned their ability to anticipate. Besides, if an ability is natural it has little to do with development. It is innate.

So if Murray were to win, for example, 3 Grand Slams would that be enough to make him a better player than Mecir? Bear in mind that I had no intention of comparing their overall ability. It's you who seems intent on doing so.

I don't think you can rate a player based on what might have been or how good they might have been had they developed earlier etc. We judge based on results. Someone like Murray shouldn't have to double Mecir's success to be considered a better player, simply because he picked up a racquet at an earlier age.

You were the one who mentioned ability. Anticipation and movement have already been discussed, so do we need to go through it again? His movement is different from Mecir's, and yes Federer was used an example of someone that glides across the court, but his movement isn't considered Mecir like is it?

As for Mecir, he had his time and that's it. As for Murray we'll see what happens. I have already stated Mecir's results, the overall top level he was up against was of a greater quality (Lendl, Becker, McEnroe, Connors, Wilander and Edberg) is higher than now, but nothing can be done about that.

The problem here is that people are lazy and need reference points, instead of just focusing on the overall package. Murray is his own individual first and foremost, this is more important than some lazy comparison with a player that they share very few similarities with.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 04:15 AM
You were the one who mentioned ability. Anticipation and movement have already been discussed, so do we need to go through it again?

I didn't mention ability. The only time I mentioned ability in my post was when I discussed their ability to anticipate. If you insist on saying that I brought up natural ability, I'm going to have to insist that you quote me. Read my post again and you'll see.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 04:17 AM
I didn't mention ability. The only time I mentioned ability in my post was when I discussed their ability to anticipate. If you insist on saying that I brought up natural ability, I'm going to have to insist that you quote me. Read my post again and you'll see.

Why mention ability to anticpate, when anticipation has already been discussed?

prima donna
09-08-2008, 04:17 AM
Hahahahahahaha.

Clydey
09-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Why mention ability to anticpate, when anticipation has already been discussed?

It hadn't been discussed to my satisfaction. If you couldn't be bothered discussing it further, you should have just said so and I'd have shrugged my shoulders and went about my business.

Like I said, I didn't say a word about natural ability. I'm sure you'll concede that now.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 04:37 AM
It hadn't been discussed to my satisfaction. If you couldn't be bothered discussing it further, you should have just said so and I'd have shrugged my shoulders and went about my business.

Like I said, I didn't say a word about natural ability. I'm sure you'll concede that now.

What is there to discuss? Do you want a thesis on this? How many words should each sub section have? Any person who actually watches tennis knows Murray has excellent anticipation skills, this is like saying Karlovic has a big serve, so why harp on about something that is as common as knowing the sun will rise in the east on a clear day. Gilles Simon has excellent anticipation skills and court craft, but he isn't compared to Mecir is he?

As for natural ability, the differences need to be highlighted, considering I don't believe there are that many similarities, for the reasons stated. How do you compare effectively with an individual that learnt to play the game with a wooden racquet. It's hard enough to do it, with one player that was in the previous generation, let alone two or three before that.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Hahahahahahaha.

What is so funny?

Clydey
09-08-2008, 04:46 AM
What is so funny?

It's his attempt to troll me. We don't like each other, so he likes to inexplicably write "Hahahahaha" when I'm in a discussion. He thinks posting a witless non-sequitur somehow mocks me. He even PM'd "Hahahaha" to me once for no apparent reason. He has all the maturity and wit of a foetus and only half the intelligence.

prima donna
09-08-2008, 05:54 AM
What is so funny?
Well, it's just amusing that someone possessing your knowledge and wherewithal would even bother to engage an individual that obviously is going to contradict your every word for the mere sake of doing so. Why become entangled in such nonsense ? He's smitten by Andy Murray, just leave it at that -- don't try to rationalize with a zealot.

Lullaby
09-08-2008, 06:02 AM
From Andys Press conference lol

Q. Have you ever seen playing Miloslav Mecir who is playing a little bit like you? Do you know anything about him?

ANDY MURRAY: I met him the first time at the Olympics. He was there with Slovakian team with Hrbaty. I had never seen him play, but I don't know if you saw a lot of the ‑‑ you get given pins from your country which you exchange with the other athletes. He was trying to switch pins with me because I had a couple that he ‑‑ he's been ‑‑ I think that was like his fifth Olympics that he had been to maybe.

He was trying to ‑‑ had a Erythrea pin which wasn't very common, so I got there pins in exchange for that one. I've not seen him play.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:06 AM
It is funny how some well spoken people in this forum just end up being as immature as most people are anyway. Yeah my posts have been grumpy over the last day but I gave this forum a long break because its filled with twats. I am too bored now though so I'll hang around a while but whats with the childish stalking of other people and stuff. I remember prima donna practically feeling sick at the fact that Nadal won Wimbledon. Human behaviour is... exceptionally interesting (tangent)!

prima donna
09-08-2008, 06:14 AM
I remember prima donna practically feeling sick at the fact that Nadal won Wimbledon. Human behaviour is... exceptionally interesting (tangent)!
Ironically enough, this comes only hours after my declaration that Rafael Nadal is now a superior player to Roger Federer. I'm a traditionalist, at least compared to most of the posters on this forum, therefore it should come as no surprise that I was confounded by Nadal's victory over Roger at a venue as prestigious as Wimbledon.

MatchFederer
09-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Ironically enough, this comes only hours after my declaration that Rafael Nadal is now a superior player to Roger Federer. I'm a traditionalist, at least compared to most of the posters on this forum, therefore it should come as no surprise that I was confounded by Nadal's victory over Roger at a venue as prestigious as Wimbledon.

Sure, ok. I did read that too and I agree. But I don't think Nadal is a superior player to a peak Federer and think the negative head to head is more a case of the match up. I agree though that for the last several months that Nadal is the superior player. The next couple of years are going to be very interesting.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 07:24 AM
It's his attempt to troll me. We don't like each other, so he likes to inexplicably write "Hahahahaha" when I'm in a discussion. He thinks posting a witless non-sequitur somehow mocks me. He even PM'd "Hahahaha" to me once for no apparent reason. He has all the maturity and wit of a foetus and only half the intelligence.

Well, it's just amusing that someone possessing your knowledge and wherewithal would even bother to engage an individual that obviously is going to contradict your every word for the mere sake of doing so. Why become entangled in such nonsense ? He's smitten by Andy Murray, just leave it at that -- don't try to rationalize with a zealot.

Thanks for the explanations and yes that is to both individuals.

The zealot thing, well they exist in all kinds of life. The funniest thing is Davide Sanguinetti, he really wanted to be Mecir. Tennis idols growing up were countryman Paolo Cane and Miloslav Mecir, his favorite player...Used to tape Mecir’s matches and says, “I still go back to watch them”.

Murray's answer is telling enough and also there are certain things he can do that Mecir can't and vice versa, but that will be lost on some people.

Kolya
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
If you watch Murray he is off balance a lot and sometimes stands metres behind the baseline.

Mecir never seemed off balanced in attack or defence. Mecir could use his wrists to move the ball around with deception while Murray has to swing his body to move the ball.

Also Mecir was an all round player rather than just a defensive baseliner like Murray.

Voo de Mar
09-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Murray reminds me of Mecir's pupil - Kucera but the Scott has definitely better serve.

Action Jackson
09-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Murray's balltoss doesn't have snow, rain, hail and a blizzard happen before he hits the ball.

Kolya
09-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Murray's balltoss doesn't have snow, rain, hail and a blizzard happen before he hits the ball.

:lol: the Slovakians have the highest ball toss.

Deivid23
09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
If you watch Murray he is off balance a lot and sometimes stands metres behind the baseline.

Mecir never seemed off balanced in attack or defence. Mecir could use his wrists to move the ball around with deception while Murray has to swing his body to move the ball.

Also Mecir was an all round player rather than just a defensive baseliner like Murray.

Wow long time ago I didn´t see a smart wannabe post with such crap, congrats

Deivid23
09-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Specially funny that quote about Murray having to swing his body to move the ball :haha:

He can do absolutely everything with that backhand of his and absolutely effortless, u tool

Deivid23
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM

You´re going to be very surprised in the future, G, I´m sure

Mecir
09-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Ahhhhh Mecir - my namesake - lest he be forgotten.

His retirement was a sad day in tennis.

Kolya
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Specially funny that quote about Murray having to swing his body to move the ball :haha:

He can do absolutely everything with that backhand of his and absolutely effortless, u tool

Hard to explain but they're different in shot execution :p

JolánGagó
09-08-2008, 03:57 PM
He has all the maturity and wit of a foetus and only half the intelligence.

But a zillion times more white shoes. To each his own.

Kolya
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Poor explanation. Yes, Mecir and Murray both have great backhands.

Completely different forehands but Mecir did move the ball differently from everyone else. That was what I was trying to get at.

Raquel
09-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Forgetting the Murray/Mecir comparisons for a minute, what was the story with Mecir? I've only been lucky enough to see him on YouTube clips but he is often pinpointed, like Rios, as someone with major talent. Why didn't he get a Slam? Was it just the level of competition during his era or was there a major flaw somewhere?

Kolya
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Forgetting the Murray/Mecir comparisons for a minute, what was the story with Mecir? I've only been lucky enough to see him on YouTube clips but he is often pinpointed, like Rios, as someone with major talent. Why didn't he get a Slam? Was it just the level of competition during his era or was there a major flaw somewhere?

Combination.

Mecir did not handle the pressure very well and he couldn't beat Lendl though he did beat Lendl in the Lipton Championships.

Also his 2nd serve wasn't very strong.

Henry Kaspar
09-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Combination.

Mecir did not handle the pressure very well and he couldn't beat Lendl though he did beat Lendl in the Lipton Championships.

Level of competition was also a factor. Mecir peaked in the Lendl/Wilander/Becker/Edberg era.

Lullaby
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Combination.

lol at the reasoning sounding very much like those critisisms levied at murray over the last few months

1. Nerve
2. 2nd Serve ;):wavey:

fast_clay
09-08-2008, 06:00 PM

it does when he's playing at home in scotland... heh heh...

sorry just read the thread...

i like both players... probasbly the biggest similarity i have found in both players is just that they are deceptively quick to the extreme... its not apparent till after a few matches watched that it becomes very clear that movement is a major strength in both players... tho, maybe with the deception went less effort with mecir...

prima donna
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
tTL7_7gBcF8 IKJpJ6hbLG4

prima donna
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
jq-dq0jahecOBpt5GolXgg

prima donna
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Z3pcXYG5TGY zpIWZ_mi-P4 hKHe88CHj1U