So Arlen says new roof will be added on Ashe Stadium. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So Arlen says new roof will be added on Ashe Stadium.

wifey99999999
09-06-2008, 08:47 PM
How long will it take them to install the roof on Ashe?? I'd assume those tall light poles on top of Ashe will be gone.

JimmyV
09-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Seems kind of unnecessary, most of the time rain is no issue.

wifey99999999
09-06-2008, 09:02 PM

I kind of agree.

The rain problem at US Open is not as serious as Wimbledon.

Chip_s_m
09-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is an article on it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen08/news/story?id=3571584

U.S. Open moves up first men's semifinal because of storm fears

NEW YORK -- In the not-too-distant future, there could be a retractable roof on the U.S. Open's main stadium, and organizers won't have to worry about tropical storms the way they were worrying Friday.

"It's a matter of 'when,' not 'if," a dome will be added to Arthur Ashe Stadium, said Arlen Kantarian, the U.S. Tennis Association's CEO for professional tennis. "It's the right next thing to do."

The USTA has looked into the possibility of adding a roof in the past but rejected the project as too costly. A recent new study suggests it could be done now because of lighter materials that could be used.

"We're hearing it's a lot more feasible," Kantarian said. "We're a bit more optimistic."

The Australian Open already has retractable roofs over its two main courts, and Wimbledon is due to have one in place next year.

"Wimbledon announced in '03 having one in place in '09," Kantarian said. "Will it take that long? I don't think so."

Because Tropical Storm Hanna is expected to bring heavy rain and wind to the New York area Saturday, the start of the U.S. Open men's semifinals were moved up to an hour earlier that day. The tournament was also preparing to delay the men's final a day until Monday if needed.

The men's semifinals will start Saturday at 11 a.m. ET, instead of noon.

If rain forces the postponement of both of the men's semifinals and the women's final, which is scheduled for Saturday night, those matches would be rescheduled for Sunday. The men's semifinals would begin at 1 p.m., and the women's final would be slated for 9 p.m. In that case, the men's final would be rescheduled from Sunday until Monday at 4 p.m.

If the men's semifinals are completed Saturday, but the women's final is not, then the tournament plans to play both championship matches Sunday. One would begin at 5 p.m., the other at 9 p.m.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I kind of agree.

its even less of an issue in Australia, yet they have 2 courts with roofs

scoobs
09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
About time, good decision, get it done USTA - considering how sensitive they are about tv slots and ratings, I would think this is an absolute no brainer unless the cost runs into the billions - rain at the Open may not be as huge an issue as at Wimbledon but it does come and it does cause problems sometimes, you rarely get a totally rain free US Open so a roof is the way to go to make sure at least some tennis is being played - and with a closed roof you can pack matches on hardcourts all day long.

SushiMinimal
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I kind of agree.

You obviously have not heard about global warming and climate change in the coming years.

wifey99999999
09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
its even less of an issue in Australia, yet they have 2 courts with roofs

At Australian Open, they get 2 roofs mainly because the temperature can get really really hot during summer time at Melbourne. Rain is not that big of issue there, but heat is.

sawan66278
09-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Typical USTA action...waiting as long as possible (in order to make as much money as possible)...hoping that the logical step will not be necessary.

They were obviously shamed into this decision by the efforts of the Wimbledon committee.

Merton
09-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I am curious to know why they take that decision now instead of going for it after the 2003 US Open, that was an incomparably greater disaster than the curent one.

nolop
09-07-2008, 01:07 AM
So there is going to be an Indoors Grand Slam. Great. :drool:

the cat
09-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Rain is not usually a problem at the U.S. Open. The Unites States Tennis Association should take the immense amount of money they will need to build a roof over Arthur Ashe stadium and spend it on developing young talented tennis players and in building more tennis courts and sponsoring tennis leagues nationwide.

Chip_s_m
09-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Typical USTA action...waiting as long as possible (in order to make as much money as possible)...hoping that the logical step will not be necessary.

They were obviously shamed into this decision by the efforts of the Wimbledon committee.

I am curious to know why they take that decision now instead of going for it after the 2003 US Open, that was an incomparably greater disaster than the curent one.

Did you guys read the article above? New technology/materials make it cheaper and it can be installed quicker. This is the biggest tennis stadium in the world, and although it may have been cost-effective at the AO and Wimbledon, it wasn't feasible at Arthur Ashe until now (not to mention that there is a greater need for it at those two slams). They got a lot of heat after the 2003 USO. They definitely would've installed a roof after that if it had been cost-effective and practical. My guess is that a roof has been in the works for a while (Kanterian has mentioned discussions about it before). It probably only came up now because there was a weather issue affecting the schedule.

TheBoiledEgg
09-07-2008, 03:27 AM

Roddick :o :o

Wyna
09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
the German ES commentator talked about that yesterday and he said that it's still not possible to add a roof on Arthur Ashe stadium but that USTA decided to build a completely new stadium with a roof soon.
So I am confused now :lol:

Tommy_Vercetti
09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
They have put enough money into supporting this generation of chokers and crybabies. Maybe they need to cut the cord on that.

They should buy a couple of roofs for sure.

Pea
09-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Because it benefitted one of their own.:shrug:

Labamba
09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
*bump*

current topic again...when will they actually do something about it?

Even RG will have roof in a few years: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=133237&highlight=roof

born_on_clay
09-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Matrix

Cricketics
09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Why can't they put some tempoary cover from one side of Arthur Ashe to the other side, such that not a single rain drop interfere any game.

moonlightdance
09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Why can't they put some tempoary cover from one side of Arthur Ashe to the other side, such that not a single rain drop interfere any game.

like a few poles, strong rope, and a heavy-duty tarp? :p

maybe we should start a "design the new us open roof" contest here and send the winning entry into the usta. i'm sure the endorsement from the MTF community will send a strong, positive message.

jmsx521
09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Stretching some sort of a fabric (1000X1000ft.) means it would constantly flap in the wind; that might be more of challenge than building a retractable roof.

r2473
09-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Ya, but they are so fashionable this year.

rofe
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
like a few poles, strong rope, and a heavy-duty tarp? :p

maybe we should start a "design the new us open roof" contest here and send the winning entry into the usta. i'm sure the endorsement from the MTF community will send a strong, positive message.

Like this:

http://i.factmonster.com/images/denver-international-airport.jpg

zookeeper
09-11-2009, 10:46 PM
There are indoor courts at the USTA BJK National Tennis Center. Why don't they just let Nadal and Gonzalez finish their match on one of them today? I'm assuming it has something to do with $$. Either ticket sales or TV. But it would at least keep the matches on schedule so the finals could still be held on Sunday.

Bargearse
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm originally from New England and remember well hurricane season. Rain seems to play a part in the US Open frequently. But because they play night matches at the US Open, they could generally get through the schedule more quickly than at Wimbledon where they only play during the day and matches were often suspended due to bad weather and poor light etc...

A roof is long overdue IMO.

fast_clay
09-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Like this:

http://i.factmonster.com/images/denver-international-airport.jpg

nice... the big top... would do the trick... i am sure they have one rolled up out the back right now... but the tv companies arent paying up so the mayor tells em that can f**ken wait...

i think helfant needs to organise himself and propose to arlenthat the world needs to recycle space shuttle debri and do something good for the world like roofing...

Leo
09-12-2009, 03:22 AM
This thread's suggestions are ridiculous. A temporary tarp over Ashe to block rain? And finishing the tournament on a tiny indoor practice court with no seating for the paying fans? LOL. Not going to happen.

theprodigy
09-12-2009, 06:56 AM
If USO gets a roof, the stadium will be doubly noisy

SushiMinimal
09-12-2009, 12:40 PM
There are indoor courts at the USTA BJK National Tennis Center. Why don't they just let Nadal and Gonzalez finish their match on one of them today? I'm assuming it has something to do with $$. Either ticket sales or TV. But it would at least keep the matches on schedule so the finals could still be held on Sunday.

SCHMUCK

Scotso
09-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Ashe is huge. I can't imagine it would be cost effective at all to build a roof on it.