Andy Vs Rafa semis to be continued Sunday and mens final on Monday.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Vs Rafa semis to be continued Sunday and mens final on Monday..

shawshank
09-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ok, no more play today in US. Rafa and Muzza will have to finish their match on Sunday and it might go to five sets. And what then? Will they have to play a final later on? That would be so unfair for Muzza or Rafa. I still can not understand why they didn't started at 11 A.M. as Fed and Nole did. Fed is so lucky again. I hate it!!

biological
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
It would seem very unfair.

A_Skywalker
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Ok, no more play today in US. Rafa and Muzza will have to finish their match on Sunday and it might go to five sets. And what then? Will they have to play a final later on? That would be so unfair for Muzza or Rafa. I still can not understand why they didn't started at 11 A.M. as Fed and Nole did. Fed is so lucky again. I hate it!!

I guess they will have to play the same day.
After all noone cares about players. ITs important that Roger wins ;)

sphiie
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Us open organiser's are giving a big advantage for Roger to win the title. Go Rafa :)

Lullaby
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
if that happens I hope the winner spanks feds ass to teach them a lesson

BIGMARAT
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
So Rain wont stop anymore? Come on ! This is for Murray to take! It could be a different match if continued tommorow. Lucky Rafa!

Daniel
09-06-2008, 07:10 PM
ITs important that Roger wins ;)

:worship:

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
let's say they'll start at 11 am tomorrow. so the match might be finished at 1 or 2 pm. normally the final is sheduled at 4 pm. so either the final will start at 6 pm or later or they'll move it to monday which would be the best choice as of now.

dorkgirl
09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
No, and if they did, any Federer win is a complete joke.

scarecrows
09-06-2008, 07:13 PM
no, monday

iriraz
09-06-2008, 07:15 PM
If they finish it tomorrow with the SF of course it will be monday but the problem is if they finish the match in the night session.Then what?

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 07:16 PM
If they finish it tomorrow with the SF of course it will be monday but the problem is if they finish the match in the night session.Then what?

if so federer will be the winner. no brainer.

Johnny Groove
09-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Do you people not read the USopen.org site? It explains everything :retard:

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 07:19 PM
The USTA addressed this.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2008-09-05/200809041220555093219.html

If the Men’s Semifinals are not completed on Saturday, Scenario I will take effect.

Damn
09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
NO, it won't.

Monday (100%) 4:00 PM (most probably)

iriraz
09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
So if the semifinal is completed tonight in the night session will they still stick to tomorrow final?

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
So if the semifinal is completed tonight in the night session will they still stick to tomorrow final?

yeah but that won't happen

final will be on monday

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 07:25 PM
There isn't going to be a night session. All weather forecasts have it raining from the afternoon until early in the morning Sunday.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Fed will likely get an extra day's rest. Thank you, USTA for screwing up the top half finalist. :worship:

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 07:38 PM
murray to win this tomorrow in 4 sets, fed will destroy him in the final, oh joy to the world, the swiss miss finally salvages some pride this year

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
How is it the USTA's fault that a freakin' hurricane is hitting the NYC area?

dinesh15
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
he latest word from the 5 Live team in New York is that the rain has well and truly settled in for now. Should that remain the case, Murray and Nadal will resume on Arthur Ashe Stadium at 2100 BST on Sunday, with the women's final to follow. The men will then return on Monday evening for their final.

I think its fair...Goooo Roger!!! Win Monday!!!:worship:

LinkMage
09-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Why drag this to Monday?

Make Nadull and Murray continue tomorrow morning at 11am and then play the final at night.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 07:43 PM

Not only did they start the bottom half's match first, they started the top half's match more about an hour and half later. And they knew beforehand that the storm was coming their way. :rolleyes:

Bilbo

federer's match began at 11 am
rafa's match began at 12.30 am

l_mac
he latest word from the 5 Live team in New York is that the rain has well and truly settled in for now. Should that remain the case, Murray and Nadal will resume on Arthur Ashe Stadium at 2100 BST on Sunday, with the women's final to follow. The men will then return on Monday evening for their final.
:

Why would they play so late? :retard: :retard: Surely the should get on court as soon as tomorrow.

TheHawk
Why drag this to Monday?

Make Nadull and Murray continue tomorrow morning at 11am and then play the final at night.
Or to make it faster, give Roger the title straight away :)

Albop
09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
at 9'?????????

stupid yanks.

LinkMage
09-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Why don't they make Nadull and Murray finish tomorrow morning and play the final at night?

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
John McEnroe was saying that Djoker's match ended near midnight, and that top half semifinalists, who had much more rest, didn't get to play first.

IDJ49
Not only did they start the bottom half's match first, they started the top half's match more about an hour and half later. And they knew beforehand that the storm was coming their way. :rolleyes:

Maybe they asked the players when they wanted to play? And maybe Rafa/Murray decided they wanted to play second? Or maybe they lost a coin toss to Fed/Djokovic? And just maybe the USTA was thinking about the 23,000 people who bought tickets to see 2 semifinal matches and thought that staggering them like that would give them an opportunity to see both?

decrepitude
Probably the timing is because of the tv channels.

TMJordan
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Why would they play so late? :retard: :retard: Surely the should get on court as soon as tomorrow.

U S & A :worship:

Albop
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
USTA :bigclap:

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Maybe they asked the players when they wanted to play? And maybe Rafa/Murray decided they wanted to play second? Or maybe they lost a coin toss to Fed/Djokovic? And just maybe the USTA was thinking about the 23,000 people who bought tickets to see 2 semifinal matches and thought that staggering them like that would give them an opportunity to see both?

Don't kid yourself. The USTA decided it w/o the players' input.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
The players get more input than people like to believe.

acionescu
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
:retard: schedule

Lullaby
lol from andy murray . com

There will be no more play at Flushing Meadows today thanks to the neavy rain delivered by Tropical Storm Hanna.

Andy's semi-final with Rafael Nadal will resume tomorrow (noon or 4pm), with Andy leading 6-2 7-6 (7-5) 2-3, and trailing by a break in the third set.

Andy's in good spirits, and currently eating some fruit in the player lounge!

We'll keep you posted...

Daniel
USA :clap2:

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
you are a funny guy, IDJ49.

platinum
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Pathetic all the things they have to do to help monofed win a title. What's happening at the USO this year is the equivalent of the 2005 United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis, the only gp Schumacher won that year. For those who follow F1 you know what I'm talking about....

Chip_s_m
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I love it. These two have had plenty of rest anyways. It'll get them on during a much better time for tv viewers than if it was played early in the day. There is no rain in the forecast for tomorrow anyways.

Veronique
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
That sounds like a sensible solution for me. Though they'll be competing with Monday Night Football on another channel. But I imagine CBS cannot complain about that;-)

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
i can remember the last monday final in 87
was up watching it till early hours

Albop
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Couldn't be a worse time for me and the chileans.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Too bad I'm a girl. ;)

HarryMan
Damn!! I thought they would play both the semi and final on the same day :mad:

Roger has to wait till these mugs complete their match, so frustrating for him :rolleyes:

Bilbo
i can remember the last monday final in 87
was up watching it till early hours

so that was before you went over to the girls :p

Veronique
Pathetic all the things they have to do to help monofed win a title. What's happening at the USO this year is the equivalent of the 2005 United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis, the only gp Schumacher won that year. For those who follow F1 you know what I'm talking about....

I'm a Rafa fan but am curious how the new schedule favors Roger? One would think it helps Rafa recover instead of playing 2 important matches on Sunday should he prevail over Murray.

Lullaby
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
why make the decision so quickly - what if it stops raining?

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
so that was before you went over to the girls :p

been watching both for along time :p
girls do have more appeal :angel:

RogerFan82
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
why don't all morons here understand that the No: 1 always plays 2nd on saturday. Fed was in the top half last year, played roddick in the QF on wednesday, yet played 2nd on saturday against Kolya, after ferrer-Djoke.

It's not a conspiracy to favor fed.!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deejay
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
As soon as the schedule of play came out today i knew the balance of power shifted fed's way. I mean come on, its not as if the rain wasn't going to come down today, its a tropical storm! The murray-nadal match should have started at 11am on armstrong. Why they didnt do that is beyond me, now your probably going to get an uneven final on monday

platinum
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm a Rafa fan but am curious how the new schedule favors Roger? One would think it helps Rafa recover instead of playing 2 important matches on Sunday should he prevail over Murray.

They knew the rain was coming, they should have started BOTH SF at the same time.

Now monofed gets one more day of rest.. :lol:

Poor Andy and Rafa .... They got royally screwed.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 08:06 PM

It won't.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 08:07 PM
why don't all morons here understand that the No: 1 always plays 2nd on saturday. Fed was in the top half last year, played roddick in the QF on wednesday, yet played 2nd on saturday against Kolya, after ferrer-Djoke.

Not according to JMac. You just list one example to validate your theory? :rolleyes:

Chip_s_m
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Any slam organizers would've done the same thing. It has nothing to do with giving certain players an advantage :rolleyes:. Do you really think they're sitting in some room figuring out how to give Federer the biggest advantage? Seriously guys you're smarter than this.

It's all about CBS and being fair to the ticketholders. That money will trump fairness to players at any tournament. CBS misses out on revenue if they can only show one match (even if they flip back and forth). This is why they started at different times. Ticketholders get screwed if they planned on watching two matches, especially since they paid to see two. You're kidding yourselves if you think this is because of any reason besides that.

Every tournament is going to look to maximize profits.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
As soon as the schedule of play came out today i knew the balance of power shifted fed's way. I mean come on, its not as if the rain wasn't going to come down today, its a tropical storm! The murray-nadal match should have started at 11am on armstrong. Why they didnt do that is beyond me, now your probably going to get an uneven final on monday

Oh please Rafa/Andy haven't played since Wednesday. I'll doubt they'll go more than 2 hours tomorrow and then whoever wins won't be back on court until 9pm Monday. If they can't recover from that then they have no business being on a tennis court.

anon57
09-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Maybe the #1 does usually play second on saturday but if the organizers were planning on moving Murray/Nadal to Armstrong due to the rain it would have been much more reasonable to start the second semi at the same time as the first one:shrug:.

ghostbear

If Murray wins in 3, it probably won't matter much. But if they go 5 grueling sets, surely, Fed would end up with an upper hand with an extra day's rest.

Lullaby
It won't.

There looks a break in the rain to me currently over philly in the radar

IDJ49
Any slam organizers would've done the same thing. It has nothing to do with giving certain players an advantage :rolleyes:. Do you really think they're sitting in some room figuring out how to give Federer the biggest advantage? Seriously guys you're smarter than this.

It's all about CBS and being fair to the ticketholders. That money will trump fairness to players at any tournament. CBS misses out on revenue if they can only show one match (even if they flip back and forth). This is why they started at different times. Ticketholders get screwed if they planned on watching two matches, especially since they paid to see two. You're kidding yourselves if you think this is because of any reason besides that.

Thank you.

platinum
09-06-2008, 08:11 PM
BTW, I hope Andy wins this in 3 sets. I like both players but it would be unfair to drag this match forever, to 4 or 5 sets. Whoever wins would be dead tired and the perfect target for rested monofed or a rested anyone in a final next day....

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
There looks a break in the rain to me currently over philly in the radar

Great for Philly too bad I'm 15 minutes away and every weather report I've seen say continued rain until early tomorrow morning. No way will there be a break long enough for them to dry the courts and bring everyone back.

RogerFan82
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Not according to JMac. You just list one example to validate your theory? :rolleyes:

If it happened that way last year, why not this year ? Seriously, you guys are looking for excuses.

bluefork
09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
It sucks for Nadal and Murray, but why would the USTA want to put Federer in an advantageous position? He's not American, after all. And Nadal is at the height of his popularity in the U.S., so why wouldn't the USTA want to give him an equal chance?

I think it would be much more beneficial to the tournament to have a well-played, competitive final rather than have Federer demolish whomever his opponent is.

platinum
09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
If Murray wins in 3, it probably won't matter much. But if they go 5 grueling sets, surely, Fed would end up with an upper hand with an extra day's rest.
Exactly.

FedFan
09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't understand all the complaints. If Murray and Nadal had played five sets and about 4 hours, the winner would have been physically spent and the chances in the final much less intact than now!
To play 2 and a half set will not be a big disadvantage. The decision of the officials seems the fairest thing to me.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 08:15 PM
If it happened that way last year, why not this year ? Seriously, you guys are looking for excuses.

You posted your theory as if it was a fact. :rolleyes: Anyway, the top half hadn't played for a while since their last matches. So why not start their match first? Moreover, Djoker's match ended near midnight, which probably screwed up his rhythm today.

Herdwick
09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Good to see final on Monday - no way does this favour Fed - pretty equal. Rafa should be able to re-group now against Murray as well so the USO should get the final they want.

platinum
09-06-2008, 08:18 PM

True and that's the only way monofed can win a decent title this year :wavey:

brent-o
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Why is Nadal always screwed with these weather situations? I'm remembering back to Wimbledon 2007 when Nadal was having to pay back-to-back-to-back days and Federer was getting tons of rest. The difference is Rafa is the one player that can handle them. He really fought to get to that Wimbledon final. My prediction is that we're going to have crappy one-sided finals on both the men's and women's sides.

rrfnpump
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Fed will likely get an extra day's rest. Thank you, USTA for screwing up the top half finalist. :worship:

Well, how exactly did Roddick win his only fluke GS title? :lol:

decrepitude
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I cannot fathom why the top half match was not first on when they had been first all fortnight.

However, once that decision had been made, they were obviously hoping the rain would hold off long enough to play both matches on Ashe. If the first match had gone in straight sets it just might have looked possible. However, once it was obvious that Fed/Djoke was going at least 4 sets, they put the other match on on Armstrong. I noticed the announcement came very shortly after Novak won the second set.

FedFan
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Physically there will not be a problem neither for Murray nor for Nadal! They have only played 2 hours so far!

platinum
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Moreover, Djoker's match ended near midnight, which probably screwed up his rhythm today.
Yeah, poor Nole:sad:. No wonder he sucked so much today vs monofed. This USO title is going to have a HUGE asterisk next to it... :o

FNT
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
If they play the final Monday, there is a possibility it will clash with Monday Night Football, I don't think CBS wants this to happen. And if there is rain on Monday, it's possible.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 08:30 PM
If they play the final Monday, there is a possibility it will clash with Monday Night Football, I don't think CBS wants this to happen. And if there is rain on Monday, it's possible.

Men’s Singles Semifinals
Sunday, Sept. 7th 4:00pm ET

Men’s Singles Final
Monday, Sept. 8th 5:00pm ET

The forecast looks good for Sunday and Monday.

saniapower
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Usta <- Where Is The Roof? U Dont Have Money?

lukela85
09-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah, poor Nole:sad:. No wonder he sucked so much today vs monofed. This USO title is going to have a HUGE asterisk next to it... :o

I hope you're 12 years old give or take a year cos you're sure acting like it...

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Has anyone considered that they will switch Nadal to Ashe to finish the match ???

i dont think this will happen, match will resume on louis armstrong

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Menís Singles Semifinals
Sunday, Sept. 7th 4:00pm ET

Menís Singles Final
Monday, Sept. 8th 5:00pm ET

The forecast looks good for Sunday and Monday.

where did u get this info from? usopen website still has yet to post it and on what stadium will the mens semifinal be played in???

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 08:47 PM
oh yes ur right it will resume tomorrow at 4pm in arthur ashe, murray will smoke rafa in 4 sets mark my words...

aussie_fan
09-06-2008, 08:47 PM

Every tournament is going to look to maximize profits.

yeah, i agree with this. You can understand why they did it.

malisha
09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
keep it up Andy:D

mariyella80
09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
BTW, I hope Andy wins this in 3 sets. I like both players but it would be unfair to drag this match forever, to 4 or 5 sets. Whoever wins would be dead tired and the perfect target for rested monofed or a rested anyone in a final next day....

In Nadal's case that doesnt factor in, if he beats murray he WILL peform, and he's comfortable against Federer, knows EXACTLY what TO DO:p

WF4EVER
09-06-2008, 08:54 PM
So funny to see all you fucking Fedhaters come in here and assume the scheduling will be suited to Federer when in truth, for once, the US Organizers have exercised some common sense and scheduled the final for Monday. Oh if only it were 2003 again.

star_of_dusk
09-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Yeah and the usta ruined my trip to Centralia, it's been raining for about 22 hours straight. thanks usta :(

kisses
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Poor Rafa,this time the luck seems not with you.
I think if it didn't rain,Rafa will win the last 3 sets today. In the 3rd set,he began playing better than Murry.:mad::o

Jaap
09-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I think if it didn't rain,Rafa will win the last 3 sets today. In the 3rd set,he began playing better than Murry.:mad::o

He has been lucky his whole career. :rolleyes:

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 09:01 PM
So funny to see all you fucking Fedhaters come in here and assume the scheduling will be suited to Federer when in truth, for once, the US Organizers have exercised some common sense and scheduled the final for Monday. Oh if only it were 2003 again.

Where was their common sense when they were scheduling today's matches?
-------------------------------------------------
Q. Was there something specific physically today?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, if you finish, you know, a couple of matches 1:00 in the morning and then you go to sleep 4:00 in the morning, and then two days afterwards you got to play at 11:00 or 12:00.

It's not really the best thing you want to have for yourself, but what could I do? I had bad luck.

Henry Kaspar
09-06-2008, 09:05 PM

Won't -- here in DC (225 miles to the southwest of NYC) Hannah caused 10 hours of torrential rain, and it is moving up the coast north. This isn't an English summer drizzle, this is a tropical storm. No choice but wait till it's gone and the skies clear.

Henry Kaspar
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
In my view this is, in the circumstances, a good decision from the organizers.

Johnny Groove
09-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Couldn't be a worse time for me and the chileans.

I'm sure the USTA took that into consideration when making the schedule :retard:

freeandlonely
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Maybe Snunday still rainning...
There shold be roof on main courts asap
Hope USTA won't spent 6 years to build a roof

FedFan
09-06-2008, 09:24 PM

The one who could benefit the most from the decision of the organizers is Nadal. Or do you think his chances would have been good if he had won in five gruelling sets of more than four hours? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

If he plays well tomorrow he can win in one and half an hour. The winner will surely not be physically exhausted and can keep the rhythm for the final.

tangerine_dream
09-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't you know? The USTA creates hurricanes in order to help certain players. Duh.

Wolbo
09-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Seems like an entirely logical and, given the circumstances, fair decision to postpone the final until Monday.

Amazing to see people come up with all those weird conspiracy theories. Oh well, it's always good entertainment to see some folks so eager to repeatedly display their own stupidity. ;)

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Don't you know? The USTA creates hurricanes in order to help certain players. Duh.
Only recently though, in Wimbledon they control the rain to help Federer win every single year.

guga2120
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Roger's luck never ends.

the_natural
09-06-2008, 09:31 PM
The one who could benefit the most from the decision of the organizers is Nadal. Or do you think his chances would have been good if he had won in five gruelling sets of more than four hours? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

If he plays well tomorrow he can win in one and half an hour. The winner will surely not be physically exhausted and can keep the rhythm for the final.

Like hell they wont, start at four then they go on to play less than 24 hours later, they may finish the semiin 5 sets at around 9 pm, wont get to sleep till 11/12 have to wake up at about (if they even get to sleep because neitehr has been in the USO final murray especially will be struggling) 12-1 the next day to do practice

And then of course as always has been the case the angelic federer will wipe the floor with his beaten and bruised player. Its not like its gonna be an easy walk in the park for whoever wins the semi either, they are gonna be sore:rolleyes:

Lillith
09-06-2008, 09:35 PM

That's because you're reasonable and the poster to whom you've responded usually is not. :)

I would also say that this rain has helped Nadal since it has given him time to recover. I personally think he has a better chance to come back from 2 down tomorrow than if his match had continued today. And he's a very fit guy. If he does beat Murray tomorrow, I don't see him having trouble playing again on Monday.

LinkMage
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
So many bitter Nadulltards in this thread. :awww: :baby:

tangerine_dream
09-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Where was their common sense when they were scheduling today's matches?
-------------------------------------------------
Q. Was there something specific physically today?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, if you finish, you know, a couple of matches 1:00 in the morning and then you go to sleep 4:00 in the morning, and then two days afterwards you got to play at 11:00 or 12:00.

It's not really the best thing you want to have for yourself, but what could I do? I had bad luck.
He should take it as a compliment. Only players with star-power play the night matches. The Davydenkos of the world are the ones who get stuck playing 11:00am matches all week long.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Like hell they wont, start at four then they go on to play less than 24 hours later, they may finish the semiin 5 sets at around 9 pm, wont get to sleep till 11/12 have to wake up at about (if they even get to sleep because neitehr has been in the USO final murray especially will be struggling) 12-1 the next day to do practice

And then of course as always has been the case the angelic federer will wipe the floor with his beaten and bruised player. Its not like its gonna be an easy walk in the park for whoever wins the semi either, they are gonna be sore:rolleyes:

If it takes them 5 hours to complete 2 and a 1/2 sets I will eat my shoe. Whoever wins should be in bed by 10pm. Which would have happened had they completed their match today.

Mechlan
09-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Idiotic of them not to start both matches simultaneously given the weather forecast. They were lucky to finish one. Too bad for the top half, though in a way it's a break for Nadal, because going 5 against Murray today and coming back tomorrow would be killer.

scoobs
09-06-2008, 09:45 PM
The problem was not starting both matches simultaneously on 2 courts. But since they made this mistake, the schedule they come with is the best possible solution - they could have had Nadal-Murray out tomorrow at 11am to finish and them do the final in the night session. Thank goodness they didnt do that.

As for Federer getting extra rest - I doubt it will matter that much - he has made the finals without expending masses of energy already, just the 3 sets dropped. The winner of the other semi will be at a disadvantage but not much more so than if they had played second with continuous play, no rain, gone long and then the winner comes back for the finals tomorrow.

Lillith
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
The problem was not starting both matches simultaneously on 2 courts. But since they made this mistake, the schedule they come with is the best possible solution - they could have had Nadal-Murray out tomorrow at 11am to finish and them do the final in the night session. Thank goodness they didnt do that.

As for Federer getting extra rest - I doubt it will matter that much - he has made the finals without expending masses of energy already, just the 3 sets dropped. The winner of the other semi will be at a disadvantage but not much more so than if they had played second with continuous play, no rain, gone long and then the winner comes back for the finals tomorrow.

Even if they had started at the same time, though, there was no guarantee that Nadal/Murray would have finished today without a complete blowout by one of the players. Their more grinding styles of play basically guaranteed that their match would be longer than Djokovic/Federer anyway. And them playing a couple of hours tomorrow then finishing on Monday really isn't any different than if Nadal and Murray had gone 5 long sets for four or five hours today then played the final tomorrow.

These guys are all fit, so I really doubt this makes a big difference either way.

FNT
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Whining Rafatards are funny. Federer played a lot of night matches during his career, and hey... The guy won 33 straight. Djokovic is a pussy and a ninny for whining about the schedule. He played 4 sets. Federer played Andreev for 5 sets and still won his next match (which went to 2 TB's, no less).
I don't see Rafa complaining, I don't see Fed complaining. Rafa played for 2 hours today (and they practically saved his ass by moving the match to Sunday, he sucked). If he was any better, he could've taken a 2-0 lead to this break. Stop whining for Christ's sake, it's pretty much the only way to handle it.
P.S. Whining about screwing Rafa over is twice as funny when you see his draw. Querrey and Fish - that's some tough tennis players! Fed and Djoko were favored by getting clowns like Roddick, Davy, Stepanek and facing each other in the semifinal.
Rafa, on the other hand, is playing a guy who barely won his first Masters, and whom Rafa himself beat to a pulp a couple of months ago. Rafa is screwed!
Hey, Rafa is a classy guy. Why don't Rafatards go and learn something from their own idol? It's amazing actually. =)

SushiMinimal
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Why the mens final on monday isn't at 7pm instead of 4pm?? They would catch more rating at night.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Why the mens final on monday isn't at 7pm instead of 4pm?? They would catch more rating at night.

It's Monday at 5 PM. They probably didn't want to compete with Monday Night Football.

MacTheKnife
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM

They made the right decision by staggering the start times. Most on this forum think about it from our point of view, not from the fans that are actually there. These fans spent thousands of dollars on flights, hotel rooms, food, and tickets. Now you want the USTA to start two matches as the same time and make it virtually impossible for the fans to get in some of both matches. By staggering, it gives the fans more of an option to watch half of one, then the other, or all of either match.
The predominant factor in most major scheduling decisions are the fans that are actually at the tournament. They actually paid to see these guys and should be given the opportunity to see as much as possible.

As for rest, Nadal-Murray will actually get more rest than if they had played it out today. If the schedule had gone as planned, they would not have started until 4pm today, and then gone out again in less than 24 hours for the final. Now, either way they will both get more rest because at best, there are only 2 1/2 sets left for tomorrow.

FNT
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM

America will be watching as in Green Bay, Wisconsin the local Gasquet is trying to become the local Federer. Hehe. There is a big football game at that time.

Mechlan
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
They made the right decision by staggering the start times. Most on this forum think about it from our point of view, not from the fans that are actually there. These fans spent thousands of dollars on flights, hotel rooms, food, and tickets. Now you want the USTA to start two matches as the same time and make it virtually impossible for the fans to get in some of both matches. By staggering, it gives the fans more of an option to watch half of one, then the other, or all of either match.
The predominant factor in most major scheduling decisions are the fans that are actually at the tournament. They actually paid to see these guys and should be given the opportunity to see as much as possible.

As for rest, Nadal-Murray will actually get more rest than if they had played it out today. If the schedule had gone as planned, they would not have started until 4pm today, and then gone out again in less than 24 hours for the final. Now, either way they will both get more rest because at best, there are only 2 1/2 sets left for tomorrow.

They all but knew that they had only a 2 hour window of play today. How is that doing the right thing by staggering? Are the fans of today really any better off by watching the Federer match followed by 5 games of the Nadal match instead of just watching one match and having both actually finish? Is a Monday final better than a Sunday final? Is having one match finish a day later better? I don't agree with that logic at all. They knew there was weather. That's why they started early. That's why they said yesterday they might need to move the second match to Louis Armstrong. Of course it's easy for me to criticize and I can understand them wanting to show both matches at Ashe, but given the forecast today I think they made the wrong call.

Also, the major factor in most scheduling decisions is TV. You can bet that's why they scheduled the final at Monday 5pm.

Albop
09-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I'm sure the USTA took that into consideration when making the schedule :retard:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Assssss.

El Legenda
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
what people need to know...tomorrow is the opening weekend in the NFL...CBS has a game at 1pm....

michellej
09-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I doubt if the rest of the semi will start until CBS is ready to show it, and if they do start, find a live stream. there will be lots of them.

Lucinda
09-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't understand all the complaints. If Murray and Nadal had played five sets and about 4 hours, the winner would have been physically spent and the chances in the final much less intact than now!
To play 2 and a half set will not be a big disadvantage.

I agree with this somewhat. It's not like Murray and Nadal have to play a 5 set match on Saturday, then another 5 set match on Sunday. It's one match spread over two days. It's still not ideal, and gives an advantage to Federer.

Merton
09-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Stupid decision not to start both semis at the same time. However, we already know that the interests of CBS come first.

Merton
09-07-2008, 12:38 AM
what people need to know...tomorrow is the opening weekend in the NFL...CBS has a game at 1pm....

Exactly, note that the words "USTA" or "players" do not appear on this post. :)

tennis_fan_2006
09-07-2008, 12:50 AM
I dont understand the Rafatards, didn't Federer play his 2007 Quarterfinal match on wednesday and play the 2nd Semifinal match on Saturday?

The #1 player tends to play the second semifinal at the US open, that's how it's been.

Collective
09-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Cut it out people. There isn't enough cheese in the world for all that whine. Jeez.

Corey Feldman
09-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Just keep hitting that ball the way you did today son

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Nadal was getting his tail whipped so badly, however the rain break will hopefully be an advantage to Murray. Nadal was gaining rhythm in that third set and now Murray has a chance to regroup and come out firing like he did in the first two sets and hit those big winners to which Nadal had no answer.

oz_boz
09-07-2008, 02:32 AM
He should take it as a compliment. Only players with star-power play the night matches. The Davydenkos of the world are the ones who get stuck playing 11:00am matches all week long.

:yeah: Finally a voice of reason in this thread.

By that USTA risk screwing up the "stars'" schedules, but it seems like they prefer it this way.

PS. Regarding Rafa's "unlucky" Wim 2007 there can be said a thing or two, like his unability (due to playing style) to finish matches quickly enough to avoid rain delays, or facing an injured Youzhny who still kicked his ass for two sets. Wim 2008 he was a worthy champ, 2007 not even close.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 04:35 AM
cant believe they are not finishing on the same court they started on - joke

Albop
09-07-2008, 04:41 AM
4 P.M.

Cool.

superhoops
09-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Guys don't worry Murray and Rafa have both got better fitness levels than fed so whoever wins that match will give Fed a great match. personally I think Murray has a better chance agaisnt Fed than Rafa

IDJ49
09-07-2008, 06:06 PM
cant believe they are not finishing on the same court they started on - joke

How do you suggest that they accomplish this when tickets were sold for 23,000 people and the stadium they started in only fits 10,000 and it's 1st come 1st serve? I know I'd be pissed off if I got there with my ticket and found out that there was no room for me.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 06:20 PM
How do you suggest that they accomplish this when tickets were sold for 23,000 people and the stadium they started in only fits 10,000 and it's 1st come 1st serve? I know I'd be pissed off if I got there with my ticket and found out that there was no room for me.

Only let in the ones that came to watch yesterday ;)

The rest of the traitors preferred to watch fed vs nole anyway ;)

Its a fair point, Ashe is a slightly slower court though so it works more against murray than nadal. The fans are the most important thing so I guess it has to be that way

FiBeR
09-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Did anyone notice the kissing mark on Murray's neck? :lol:

it was a biiiiiiiig red mark in the middle of his neck

I guess Andy's GF really wants people to know she is around :rolls:

swebright
09-07-2008, 07:33 PM
They just finished women's double final. Rafa/Andy will be on soon.