Quick poll: will Rafzilla come back from 0-2 down? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Quick poll: will Rafzilla come back from 0-2 down?

Mateya
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a feeling he will. :) Murray can't keep it together and could choke it away.
What do you think? Who will benefit more from the rain delay?

It´s 2-6, 6-7, 3-2 with break of serve!

Mods don't kill me, it's not livescoring. :angel:

PiggyGotRoasted
09-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Quick Poll : No live scores in general forum?

DrJules
09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes.

Nadal mental toughness and experience will count.

waterlily_021989
09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
yes he will,but he will be so tired tomorrow against Roger :(

Flibbertigibbet
09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
You make it sound so easy--Nadal just got his first break chance, and Murray's still been the better returner. Also, rain may affect the momentum.

dorkgirl
09-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Whatever happens now, that's probably it for the day. A disgrace that Federer gets such an advantage.

Clydey
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Murray has been the better player by miles. Rafa was lucky to get to a tiebreak.

JolánGagó
09-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes he will.

waterlily_021989
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Whatever happens now, that's probably it for the day. A disgrace that Federer gets such an advantage.

if the match finishes tomorrow and goes to 5 sets do they still have to play the final in the same day?it's not fair:sad:

richie21
09-06-2008, 07:50 PM
NO!
Andy is now too fit to let Nadal come back

Mateya
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Just for the mods, this is now a totaly legitimate poll, because the play will probably resume tommorrow.

I was counting on rain delay, when opening this thread. ;) :devil:

lina_seta
09-06-2008, 07:51 PM

a disgrace that world #1 is down 2 sets

Horatio Caine
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Obviously he very much CAN, but I'm willing to stick my neck out and suggest that he WON'T. :p I think it is perhaps a little more beneficial for him if the match could be completed today, as there is a chance that Murray just runs out of gas. If play is suspended to tomorrow, obviously Rafa could regroup, but with a little bit of fine-tuning of tactics (to ensure that he keeps Rafa guessing), what's to say that Muzza doesn't start like an express train again?

Jaap
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
No. He is getting outplayed.

lina_seta
is it rain delayed?
its about to rain here too... i guess this side of the coast is getting some massive showers
and that overflying plane was a pain during the games

Bilbo
rafa in 5

Warrior
09-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Are they still playing?

Jaap
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Murray in 3 IMO.

Corey Feldman
probably yes

lurker
if the match finishes tomorrow and goes to 5 sets do they still have to play the final in the same day?it's not fair:sad:

This was a gripe I voiced earlier about UTSA (thread disappeared). They knew it would rain, and they were going to play the matches on two different courts. Why not at the same time? Why wait until the first match was 2 sets in? And why did Fed/Djoko go first when top half has been going first all along? That move was not fair to Djoko either.

I'm sure the final will not be played the same day the semi is finished. People would be crying foul everywhere and there would forever be an asterisk on the win if Fed manages to beat the other finalist.

richie21
Obviously he very much CAN, but I'm willing to stick my neck out and suggest that he WON'T. :p I think it is perhaps a little more beneficial for him if the match could be completed today, as there is a chance that Murray just runs out of gas. If play is suspended to tomorrow, obviously Rafa could regroup, but with a little bit of fine-tuning of tactics (to ensure that he keeps Rafa guessing), what's to say that Muzza doesn't start like an express train again?

Agree.
The rain stopping could actually be a bless in disguise for Murray and not Nadal

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Murray in 3 IMO.

you think there's a player who can win 3 sets in a row against him?

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
This was a gripe I voiced earlier about UTSA (thread disappeared). They knew it would rain, and they were going to play the matches on two different courts. Why not at the same time? Why wait until the first match was 2 sets in? And why did Fed/Djoko go first when top half has been going first all along? That move was not fair to Djoko either.

I'm sure the final will not be played the same day the semi is finished. People would be crying foul everywhere and there would forever be an asterisk on the win if Fed manages to beat the other finalist.

John McEnroe said they decided to go with Fed's match first because of Rafa's rising popularity. Even if it hadn't rained, the winner of the first match would have gotten the upper hand in hours of rest. Now that it has started to rain, who knows what kind of edge Fed'd end up with.

Jaap
09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
you think there's a player who can win 3 sets in a row against him?

Yep.

Nadal is not invincible on hard court, infact he is very vunerable. Murray is exposing his limitations and Nadal has been threatened on almost every service game.
Just check the stats, its been a beatdown and Rafa was lucky that he didn't lose the 2nd set 6-0 or 6-1.

anon57
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
if the match finishes tomorrow and goes to 5 sets do they still have to play the final in the same day?it's not fair:sad:I think that if the second semi gets postponed to tomorrow, the final will be moved to Monday, but I'm not sure.

CyBorg
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
With the rain taking place he just might. If not for the rain Murray was done like dinner. When Nadal broke to start the third set it was rather obvious that Murray wouldn't win another set. But now I think he might come back feeling stronger and attacking the ball the way he did early in the match.

The rain is terrible news for Nadal. Murray was getting tired, Nadal was getting stronger.

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Nadal is not invincible on hard court, infact he is very vunerable. Murray is exposing his limitations and Nadal has been threatened on almost every service game.
Just check the stats, its been a beatdown and Rafa was lucky that he didn't lose the 2nd set 6-0 or 6-1.

just wait when the sun is shining

it was terrible weather conditions for nadal but good for murray

Lullaby
they should of both started at 11am - bloody clowns

of course nadal can win in 5, he is world no1?

If murray produces the tennis of the 1st two sets I wouldnt bet on it though. He has hit huge and apart from the one moment of let down allowing nadal to break, has dominated from start to the rain delay

A_Skywalker

MAFIA!

biological
Sure I reckon Rafa can do it.

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
One of the many things that makes Rafa the great player he is, is his mental fortitude. He isn't beaten until the last ball is played. :worship: So, normally, I'd answer this poll with a full-hearted YES.

However... with the rain having come in, which I suppose is a slight advantage to Muzza, I'm not so sure...

DAMN those idiotic organizers for putting this match out on the other court, but to still wait-and-wait to get it started! They bloddy well KNEW the rain was going to happen... :banghead:

Murraymaniac
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Rafa really didn't deserve a tie-break, no BP opportunities for him in the first two sets, but he hung in there.

Crowd were annoying me slightly - Murray hit a gorgeous BH CC winner, to unenthused applause. Murray nets a forehand and they go wild, a bit poor in my opinion, but I guess most crowd are like that.

Damn
09-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Something is really wrong with Nadal today (even in the third). I don't know if that's because of the bad weather conditions, the fact that they didn't know where they were going to play until the last minute or whatever, but something happens to him. He has a BRUTAL lack of energy and nerve. His footwork is simply awful, he arrives late to each ball. He's serving bad, returning even worse and his groundstrokes doesn't exist.

AND Murray has played probably his 2 best sets of all-time.

AMD he has the weakest Nadal (no-one knows the reason, but without fist-pumping, Nadal is not Nadal, no strength, no mental power) in months...

BUT ... he won't win. Nadal will prevail, will show that he is made of iron.

PS: The final will be played on Monday, most probably.

LinkMage
09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Probably he will.

siddy
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I think he's about done in 4. You never know with Rafa though!

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Something is really wrong with Nadal today (even in the third). I don't know if that's because of the bad weather conditions, the fact that they didn't know where they were going to play until the last minute or whatever, but something happens to him. He has a BRUTAL lack of energy and nerve. His footwork is simply awful, he arrives late to each ball. He's serving bad, returning even worse and his groundstrokes doesn't exist.

nadal is from spain and murray from scotland

hardly surprising given the weather conditions

Daniel
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Murray will beat Nadal in 3 sets.

Albop
Quick poll: matyaz and Bilbo, desilusional fanboys?

my vote is yes. :)

Mohammad
Of course! Come on Rafa

Clydey
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
All the pressure is on Murray now. He is expected to win now that he's up two sets. I think that's why his level dropped. Was no pressure on him before.

I expect Nadal to come back and win, unfortunately.

Jaap
09-06-2008, 08:22 PM

AMD he has the weakest Nadal (no-one knows the reason, but without fist-pumping, Nadal is not Nadal, no strength, no mental power) in months...

Nothing wrong with Nadull, he is just not as good on hard courts.

RogandyFan
09-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Rafa really didn't deserve a tie-break, no BP opportunities for him in the first two sets, but he hung in there.

Crowd were annoying me slightly - Murray hit a gorgeous BH CC winner, to unenthused applause. Murray nets a forehand and they go wild, a bit poor in my opinion, but I guess most crowd are like that.

The crowd always cheer for the one behind. I will be very surprised if the did that in the beginning of the match.

Jaap
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
The crowd always cheer for the one behind. I will be very surprised if the did that in the beginning of the match.

Yep they did.

Horrible crowd.

Loremaster
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I think he will, break will be good for both, Murray will be less tired, but Nadal could regroup to cut down UE, also if sun is shinning and no wind Nadal chances are also better, also Murray isn't the best mentally player, he was serving great but I don't think he will be able to serve like that again, now pressure is on him and Nadal has momentum being break up.

Also if Murray is to win he must do it in 3rd set, if Nadal gets 3rd set , Murray will be forced to close it up in 4, if 5th happens it would go 6-2 to Nadal he will have all the momentum in the world, being mentally stronger and Murray would be mentally devasted after blowing 2-0 lead.

Kalliopeia
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
If anyone can do it, Rafa can. I don't really expect him to, though. Which is ok. He'll still be #1 and he's done so well this year already, I can't complain. And at least if he loses it won't have been to Novak Djokovic.

MyPrecious
09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I suppose Rafa could come back, but quite frankly I voted no, and I'm hoping that he does not :sad:

I would rather he lost to Andy then Roger :mad:

I guess he's just having a bad day or something, but hopefully he won't have a lot more of them. If he does, his days at #1, are numbered :eek:

au_sports_opinion
09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Done like a dinner, now for the nail in the coffin Andy.

Lullaby
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
people making out this is about rafa playing poor watched the wrong match

This is like aus open 07 with murray creaming the ball at times - it was only when he started missing that nadal made an impact. In set 2 rafa was clutch on so many occassions

Efforts to knock murray are a joke, win or lose he showed he can play when he gets it all together

Myrre
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Rafa is toast!

freeandlonely
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
a disgrace that world #1 is down 2 sets

:worship:
But I won't underestimate Nadal, never.

safinalium
09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I hope he does though it seems rather unlikely. Didn't expect Murray to play so strong today for sure!!!

JustmeUK
09-06-2008, 08:39 PM
no Murray is out to show that he can mix it with the big three and to do that he'll have to beat Rafa.

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
no chance for rafa, if anything this rain break will help the scottish retard regroup and win in 4 sets! MARK MY WORDS, MURRAY IS IN THE FINAL

freeandlonely

Murray forced him?

HarryMan
Murray is completely exposing Nadal's one dimensional game. Lets hope he keeps it up whenever play resumes :D

Modetopia
09-06-2008, 08:41 PM
just wait when the sun is shining

it was terrible weather conditions for nadal but good for murray
Blame it on the rain.:p

Tommy fan
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
he will

mashamaniac
09-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah i also have the feeling he'll be back and win it in 5,then go on to beat fed on monday!

Lullaby
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
this is bad for murray i fear, he can never play consistent from one day to the next

His display today was incredible however

Tom Paulman
09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
No. He is getting outplayed.

co-sign

rafa_maniac
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Possibly, probably not. Either way, he doesn't deserve to, he's been simply awful today, his return game is the worst I've seen it in months. Andy meanwhile is playing as good as I've seen him play, the deserving winner for sure so far. The rain will certainly help him too. I would've expected Rafa to be able to wear down Andy out there today, now he gets to start afresh tomorrow.

Clydey
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
If Murray does lose, the immediate temptation will be to call it a choke. Should Rafa win, I hope it's through great play and not through Murray handing it to him. I do think Nadal will win, as all the pressure is on Andy now. He's completely expected to close it out now. That's a lot of pressure, given that Nadal doesn't make many errors. He'll have to go out and win it. Tough to outclass Nadal for 3 out of 5 sets.

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM
No, I hope Murray beats Nadal.

lurker
09-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Murray has been playing better than Nadal all tournament, so this is no surprise. The rain delay will surely help him to regroup and prevent him from being worn down by Nadal. I want to believe Nadal can come back, but no, it's not happening.

And whoever asked who could take three sets in a row off Nadal...see Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

FNT
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I think he will be done in 4. Rafa practically has to win a match at three to love, whereas Muzza only needs a set. He doesn't really need to pace himself, plus Rafa's game is nowhere near his July-August stretch, he looks sloppy. Murray should take this, he seems like a better player than Rafa at the moment.

Zolka
09-06-2008, 09:34 PM
If Murray does lose, the immediate temptation will be to call it a choke. Should Rafa win, I hope it's through great play and not through Murray handing it to him. I do think Nadal will win, as all the pressure is on Andy now. He's completely expected to close it out now. That's a lot of pressure, given that Nadal doesn't make many errors. He'll have to go out and win it. Tough to outclass Nadal for 3 out of 5 sets.

Very true, but it's much more easy for 1 of 3. ;) With that said, i still think Rafa has about 40 % chance to turn this thing around, which is still a very good number if you consider that he is down 0-2. But he is just an amazing player, and you can never be sure, Murray played much better, but tomorrow could be different. I can tell one thing for sure, it's a lot better to be being up 2-0 then being down 0-2. :)

ugotlobbed
09-06-2008, 09:46 PM
jaap has spoken

Blue Heart24
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes.

kisses
09-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm a Rafa fan but I agree with you.:mad: Really bad luck for Rafa.:mad:

vincayou
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm a Rafa fan but I agree with you.:mad: Really bad luck for Rafa.:mad:

Really bad luck to lose the first two sets. Really. :eek:

Come on Murray, finish the job!

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 10:16 PM
The final will be on Monday, if Rafa is to fight back in 5, let's hope Murray makes him fight for it so on Monday...

robinhood
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
If anybody can do it, it's certainly Rafa.
I have no preference.
Just hoping for Roger's victory on Monday.

Mechlan
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Depends totally on form tomorrow. Nadal can certainly do it, but it's up to Murray to step up and play well and not be intimidated. If he does, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to put Nadal away.

Murray was definitely going through a little lull in the third, though Nadal was still not looking that great out there, so I don't really agree that Nadal was going to win this today if they'd continued. Chance for both of them to regroup by tomorrow. Nadal to get his energy level up and Murray to sort out his mind a bit and go back to what was working. Looking forward to both players bringing their best game tomorrow.

kisses
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Really bad luck to lose the first two sets. Really. :eek:

Come on Murray, finish the job!
Everybody has his own way to win. :rolleyes: I do think if it didn't rain today Rafa has big possibility to win the last 3 sets and the whole match.:(

guga2120
09-06-2008, 10:32 PM
No, Murray in 4.

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
rafa is done in 4 at best a and maybe even in 3 sets if murray were to break back! MARK MY WORDS, MURRAY IS IN THE FINAL, THE COMPLETION OF THE MENS SEMIS TOMORROW WILL BE A BRIEF ROMP FOR THE SCOTTISH RETARD WHO WILL FINISH OFF RAFA VERY PROMPTLY! all this does not matter as fed is the 2008 US OPEN WINNER!! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 10:33 PM
rafa is done in 4 at best a and maybe even in 3 sets if murray were to break back! MARK MY WORDS, MURRAY IS IN THE FINAL, THE COMPLETION OF THE MENS SEMIS TOMORROW WILL BE A BRIEF ROMP FOR THE SCOTTISH RETARD WHO WILL FINISH OFF RAFA VERY PROMPTLY! all this does not matter as fed is the 2008 US OPEN WINNER!! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!

Why would anyone mark your words? :rolleyes:

Iván
09-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Same old story with nadal and the us open, jinx tournament for rafa.

Joke draw to the s/f, murray is the 1st class player hes played all week.

guess we will be seeing alot of rafa in the latter stages in the future with his seeding but he earned it so what i can say.

PiggyGotRoasted
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Trying to jinx murray are we?

scoobs
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I just cant decide who this helps.

Murray was dropping off in the match - I felt the switch coming, and he did very well to snatch that second set before it did but then Rafa started to play a bit better and Andy got a little bit ragged and now trails a break in the third.

I dont think the conditions will matter much - humid, less humid, whatever - I dont see any changes there having much impact.

I just dont know if this helps Murray by giving him chance to mentally recharge and them come out like a steam train again tomorrow and try to overwhelm Nadal quickly like he did today, or whether this will allow Nadal to regroup, and come out playing better and turn this match right around.

Can Nadal win 3 sets before Murray can win another 1?

I dont know what to think about this.

Its been a fabulous start for Andy, in any case.

BigJohn
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Very unwise to consider Nadal beaten before the match is over.

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't mind Murray winning. But should he be the winner, I hope he gets it done in 3 sets.

scoobs
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Always.

You do not count this guy out - it is one of the dumbest things in tennis.

finishingmove
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
since nadal is a slow starter, this obviously favours murray...

lucky guy this muzza

he'll probably freak out fed in the final

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Trying to jinx murray are we?

you clearly have no faith in that scottish retard....

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 11:05 PM

in this case, i dont think so, rafa looks very flat in his matches and he starts very slowly, he is all but done here, YOU HEARD IT FROM ME FIRST: MURRAY WILL BREAK BACK IN THE 3RD SET AND WIN IN STRAIGHTS

octatennis
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
it would be a dream... but murray is playing amazing, so it looks difficlt that the british drop his level despite the rain delay.

Nikigreat
09-06-2008, 11:19 PM
If he takes next two set, he will win at fifth set. If not, Murray will win in four.

Mansave_75
09-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Nadal will have the testicular fortitude once called by MTF freak Clay Death and he will eventually prevail in 5 sets. I have this feeling with Rafa. ;)

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Nadal will have the testicular fortitude once called by MTF freak Clay Death and he will eventually prevail in 5 sets. I have this feeling with Rafa. ;)

yea i miss clay death where is he??? i really hope and pray that this is the case but the odds are stacked so heavily against KING RAFA...

Lucilla
09-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I think Rafa in 5:) But i'm rooting for Fed in the big final ;)

Enjoy Incubus
09-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Delpo couldn't... he can't.

tennizen
09-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I am surprised people think he'll come back. I doubt it very much:lol:

MacTheKnife
09-06-2008, 11:49 PM
I think he will be sorry it rained. His big hope was to continue play in the heavier conditions. Tomorrow after Hannah goes through, the humidity will be low and temp back up. Not good for Nadal. Murray's serve and FH will be even quicker than today.

Smash.
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
He better, Murray in a grand slam final :tape::tape::o

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 12:03 AM
murray is no mental midget like gasquet who let slip a 2 set lead...if muzza lets this lead slip, he will be laughed at till kingdom come...

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
He better, Murray in a grand slam final :tape::tape::o

i dont know why ur so elated, fed will be brutal on the scottish pretender in the final, in my books the usopen is already over with the SWISS MISS CRYBABY LIFTING THE CROWN...

Lucinda
09-07-2008, 12:10 AM
If anyone can come back and win in 5 grueling sets, it's Nadal. I'm holding out hope for my boy. Go Rafa!

dylan24
09-07-2008, 12:11 AM
of course.
he owns murray

Argenbrit
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Rafa in 5. :)

Albop
09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Nadull in 5.

michellej
09-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Anyone know what Nadal's record in coming back from 2 sets down is?

Corswandt
09-07-2008, 12:59 AM
will Rafzilla come back from 0-2 down?

If there ever was a sure thing.

Pfloyd
09-07-2008, 01:06 AM
It's not going to be easy at all.

Can he do it? Yes.

Will he do it? I don't know, I think odds are against it.

I'd say Murray winning in 4 with a tie break in the 4th the most likely outcome.

vincayou
09-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Everybody has his own way to win. :rolleyes: I do think if it didn't rain today Rafa has big possibility to win the last 3 sets and the whole match.:(

Because u are a fanboy/girl. He had possibilities, but the odds were against him. He was certainly not the favourite bacause he was dominated the first 2 sets. And that is a fact, not a feeling.

Tomorrow will be a different game though.

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Anyone know what Nadal's record in coming back from 2 sets down is?

nadal has a 10-3 win loss record in 5 setters and he has come back from to sets down 3 times in his career. The first one was against ljubicic in madrid 2005, the second against robert kendrick in wimbledon 2006 2nd round and the most recent against youzhny in wimbledon 2007. VAMOS RAFA, GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT ON SUNDAY AGAINST THE SCOTTISH CLOWN...

JoshDragon
09-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Rafa, can do it but it will require two things.

1. Murray doesn't play as aggressively or as well as he did today.

2. He starts playing well as soon as the match resumes.

If both of these things happen than I think he'll do it.

Merton
09-07-2008, 01:50 AM
One can never count Nadal out but based on how this match goes it is really up to Andy, he should be able to close the deal. The important thing is to treat this match as if it started from 0-0 because phsycologically he might go for avoiding risks being 2 sets up. That is exactly what he must not do, just mix his play as he did in the first 2 sets.

Andi-M
09-07-2008, 01:54 AM
The rain helps Murray. He can go to bed tonight knowing exactly what he has to do tommorow. He's 2 sets up and absolutely owning the stage.

Muzza always goes through brain freeezes and loses concentration in all his best of 5 matches its nothing new. The rain happened in the middle of this which was good. Tommorow he will be fresh and he can just come out and implement his game. he's confident he believes he can do it.

Nadal is Nadal i do love him dearly if anyone can pull off an ultimate comeback like this its undoubtedly him.
But...i dont think so. Even if it goes to 5

I still believe Muzza believes in his own game and talent enough to go for his shots and win.

federernadalfan
09-07-2008, 02:01 AM
he will most likely win in five but lose to fed in the finals

ChinoRios4Ever
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Yes. The rain stop will help him a lot, i expect a new Rafa tomorrow.

WNB
09-07-2008, 02:07 AM
As a neutral tennis watcher I'm mostly sad for not being able to see the match at all. Well, at least the pre-rain delay part.

But gotta say I'm rooting for Rafa to win this in 5, as Muzza is one of those extremely few players that I actually dislike. A player who's having a hard time pulling of a smile even after a win, is not someone I enjoy watching.

Anyway, looking forward to a good finish tomorrow. May the best guy win.

Laba
09-07-2008, 02:37 AM
As much I'd love to see him do so, it disappoints me to say I don't think I can see it happened. A few things must happen really for there to even be somewhat of a chance for a turn-around;

- Rafa must come out assault-minded with open shoulders and his feet planted no further than two metres behind the baseline. We saw how he attacked so well against Gonzo in Beijing, and he'll need to replicate that form of style to start controlling rallies. If he comes out the way he did originally, it will be probably over for him in thirty minutes or less.
- Murray needs to not serve as well. It was on fire, the best I've seen from him so Rafa must be hoping the delay disrupts the rhythm.
- Murray needs to tighten up a little bit, perhaps opting to play more passively like against Del Potro which I can NOT see happening.
- Rafa needs to be confident in himself to not retreat behind the baseline and scamper around, it will only dig his grave faster. He has got to serve better, holding his own for a few easy games would be great for him as he practically had to fight tooth and nail for every single hold. With easier service games from him, a little more pressure could be applied on Andy.
- He can't wait for Murray to choke, he's gotta live or die by his own racquet.

That's just the way I see it really, and I voted 'He will go down in 4' just 'cause I'd like him to take at least push Andy to a fourth. There's a bit of me hoping Rafa can come out a different man and surprise me... but I'm doing what I can to be a realist and not a fanboy to save disappointment if and when it comes around.

Forehander
09-07-2008, 02:46 AM
lol Nadal's getting crushed. But his concentration is something that never dies down so there MIGHT be a slight chance for a come back.

wilmar
09-07-2008, 02:47 AM
My heart says YES!
I think Rafa will regroup...
but I think it largely depends on whether we get good Murray or bad Murray later today.

prima donna
09-07-2008, 02:49 AM
No.

dam0dred
09-07-2008, 02:50 AM
It would not be a surprise at all if he did.

WNB
09-07-2008, 03:04 AM
If he does it he's officially a monster. And it won't be long before the guys doing the tests will find demon blood running through his veins. :devil:

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 03:11 AM
Absolute idiots have responded to this poll. Have any of you actually watched the match? Murray dominated Nadal in all areas, an absolute thrashing and yet Nadal somehow comes out on top in this poll and is expected to win in five.

You're all worse than the crowd at Flushing Meadows supporting the boring Spaniard and his moonballing shite he displayed earlier.

ghostbear
09-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Nadal had won 11 sets in a row against Murray, although not all on HC. Considering how well Murray was playing today, if somehow Nadal comes up on the top tomorrow, it'd be because of a monumental choke by Murray. ;)

Scotso
09-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Why the hell did they schedule this match not to resume until 4pm? Are they that behind Federer to win the title? They should put it on at like 10am or something so it can be played and the winner has enough time to rest.

ghostbear
09-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Why the hell did they schedule this match not to resume until 4pm? Are they that behind Federer to win the title? They should put it on at like 10am or something so it can be played and the winner has enough time to rest.

TV ratings and NFL

prairiegirl
09-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Here's what I think:

Yes, Murray was absolutely outplaying Nadal in the first set. Not the second set though. If he had, he would have won the set by an easier score. Rafa played well in the second set but could have played much better in the tie break. In the third set he began to find his legs and he was moving and hitting much better.

The rain delay will, I think, favour Rafa and here's why. He's at an all-time high in terms of his confidence. He will have time to break the momentum that Murray had, analyze what he did wrong and correct his mistakes. On the other hand, Murray will have lost momentum and think that all he has to do is the same thing and he'll be fine. Of the two players, I think Rafa is far more capable of adjutsing his game and he is one of the strongest players on the tour in terms of his mental toughness.

I also think that since the match will be played on Ashe Stadium, and the weather will likely be cooler and less humid, it will also favour Rafa. I think he let too many things bother him today and he was not playing 'his' game. Although, in the first set, Murray did play unbelievably well and Rafa played poorly.

Of the two players, I think Rafa is more experienced at dealing with a difficult situation and therefore I think he'll handle the interruption better. But this could all be wishful thinking too. The first couple of games will say a lot. If Rafa can rally and win the third set, I think he'll take it. I think Murray will feel the let-down and start to doubt himself. He will lose some confidence while Rafa will gain his. When Rafa is confident, then you have to watch out!

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Here's what I think:

Yes, Murray was absolutely outplaying Nadal in the first set. Not the second set though. If he had, he would have won the set by an easier score. Rafa played well in the second set but could have played much better in the tie break. In the third set he began to find his legs and he was moving and hitting much better.

The rain delay will, I think, favour Rafa and here's why. He's at an all-time high in terms of his confidence. He will have time to break the momentum that Murray had, analyze what he did wrong and correct his mistakes. On the other hand, Murray will have lost momentum and think that all he has to do is the same thing and he'll be fine. Of the two players, I think Rafa is far more capable of adjutsing his game and he is one of the strongest players on the tour in terms of his mental toughness.

I also think that since the match will be played on Ashe Stadium, and the weather will likely be cooler and less humid, it will also favour Rafa. I think he let too many things bother him today and he was not playing 'his' game. Although, in the first set, Murray did play unbelievably well and Rafa played poorly.

Of the two players, I think Rafa is more experienced at dealing with a difficult situation and therefore I think he'll handle the interruption better. But this could all be wishful thinking too. The first couple of games will say a lot. If Rafa can rally and win the third set, I think he'll take it. I think Murray will feel the let-down and start to doubt himself. He will lose some confidence while Rafa will gain his. When Rafa is confident, then you have to watch out!

Murray had so many break opportunities in multiple games in the second set. Rafa was coming back in set 3 but was completely hammered in the 1st two sets. This has the makings of a classic

Rafa may win today as andy was in the zone yesterday with some unreal hitting. I am so pissed that they did not start earlier, now he aint even going to be playing on the same court

Gnomey
09-07-2008, 04:59 AM
I think Andy will win it in 4, if not 3. Nadal was probably starting to get comfortable and on a roll...but then Alas. Rain. He'll probably get off to a slow start again when the match continues.

rousea
09-07-2008, 05:09 AM
I think Rafa's got to look at it this way. He doesn't have to win "3" sets. He's already up a break in the third, so he doesn't have to worry about breaking Murray or winning a tiebreaker. He just has to hold his serve 3 more times. Can Murray break him? Sure he can, he did yesterday several times but if I'm Rafa, I would concentrate on holding my serve and then getting to the 4th.

If he can get to the 4th, then it will be an all-out dogfight b/c whomever wins it will win the match. Obviously if Murray takes it, it's over immediately but if Nadal takes it, he will have all the momentum in the world and will win the 5th.

I think the delay will favor Nadal. He's a very smart player and will get together with Uncle Tony and will correct their gameplan.

To me, it's all about the 4th set.

platinum
09-07-2008, 05:23 AM
BTW, all the people who are thinking Murray will beat Fed in the final are daydreaming. Have you realized that the ONLY player that has beaten Fed in slam finals is Nadal(4 times)? There must be a reason for that. Not any player out there can beat Fed in a slam final. As a matter of fact I predict that no player will ever beat Fed in a slam final, except for Rafa. As for this match, I'm 100% sure that Murray will beat Rafa, probably in straights and then Murray will get a spanking in the final vs Fed.... Just like every player gets spanked in the slam finals vs Fed, except for Rafa of course.

Schu
09-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Until the rain I was still thinking Rafa would take it in 5 but not so sure now. Rafa has a way of wearing out his opponents both mentally and physically and that was just beginning to show when the rains came (DAMN!!!). Murray did play extremely well the first set but many times I've seen a player come out firing against Rafa in the first but wear out as the match progresses - almost as if they give it everything they had in the beginning while Nadal just waits to pounce when his opponent burns himself out.
And lately Nadal has been starting slow but hangs in with his superior mental and physical strength to pull out a win, the rain gives Murray a chance to rest and puts the pressure on Nadal to come out of the blocks really fast which he certainly didn't do today.

Hope Nadal can do it but not too optimistic that he will.

mashamaniac
09-07-2008, 05:30 AM
Well,rafa has played all of his 5 previous matches at arthur ashe while murray has played there only just once before,so rafa will most likely feel more comfortable here rather than louis armstrong.
we all know that murray at his best can't play two successive days at the top of his game,so tomorrow his momentum will surely shift its way towards rafa's side.
indeed,murray has to adjust himself mentally to another court,a bigger one and more crowd in it.
and also as we all know crowd are mostly backing rafa than murray,so the whole momentum is in rafa's favour,just wait and see if all this happens in 15 and a half hours!

Gnomey
09-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Until the rain I was still thinking Rafa would take it in 5 but not so sure now. Rafa has a way of wearing out his opponents both mentally and physically and that was just beginning to show when the rains came (DAMN!!!). Murray did play extremely well the first set but many times I've seen a player come out firing against Rafa in the first but wear out as the match progresses - almost as if they give it everything they had in the beginning while Nadal just waits to pounce when his opponent burns himself out.
And lately Nadal has been starting slow but hangs in with his superior mental and physical strength to pull out a win, the rain gives Murray a chance to rest and puts the pressure on Nadal to come out of the blocks really fast which he certainly didn't do today.

Hope Nadal can do it but not too optimistic that he will.

That's what I think too. We all know Nadal's endurance is crazy...and if the match didn't stop, surely Murray would fall behind while Nadal starts hitting stronger and running harder.
With the rain, Murray conveniently gets to refuel...but also, Nadal gets to rethink his plan with Toni.

zqloy
09-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Dont think so. He looked fatigue, sluggish movement, errors piling up..... Unless he is able to regroup himself and play his best tennis, no way he is able to beat Murray. Anyway, NinjaFed is goin to eat both of them up in the finals.

FairWeatherFan
09-07-2008, 05:58 AM
IMO Nadal will win in 5.

Fedex
09-07-2008, 06:02 AM
I believe he can still pull it out, but it will be tough obviously. It will be interesting to see how Murray comes out tomorrow and if there is a dramatic momentum shift from the delay. He'll also have to deal with playing in a packed Ash stadium crowd, as opposed to the more intimate Armstrong arena.

gillian
09-07-2008, 06:07 AM
I sure hope so. I really want to see him win the title this year.

The_Nadal_effect
09-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Absolutely true. This is not the Nadal steamroller we witnessed from April to August. In fact, the guy playing on court against Murray is closer to the moonballing clay court clown of yesteryears.

Conclusion is that without AGGRESSION, Rafa can't win anywhere outside his favorite surface. The rain has given him time to become Rafzilla again, but I doubt he'll get into monster mode again for this tourney.:(

Murray in 4.

jcempire
09-07-2008, 07:54 AM
I hope Murray done it in 3, Even Nadal wins, He would have nothing leave to play against Roger later on

jcempire
09-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Absolutely true. This is not the Nadal steamroller we witnessed from April to August. In fact, the guy playing on court against Murray is closer to the moonballing clay court clown of yesteryears.

Conclusion is that without AGGRESSION, Rafa can't win anywhere outside his favorite surface. The rain has given him time to become Rafzilla again, but I doubt he'll get into monster mode again for this tourney.:(

Murray in 4.

Just Bad Luck, If he can go through the Match today as Fed did, Everything could be different

au_sports_opinion
09-07-2008, 08:22 AM
what is the weather forecast????

Mateya
09-07-2008, 09:22 AM
:spit: By far the most successful thread I have ever made. :lol:

-It can do either way, but I think Murray should clinch in 3 or 4.
-If it goes to five sets, Murray should be toast. Poll results nicely indicate that too.

So, if Murray wants to win this, he must do it quickly and cleanly - because he will not outlast Rafa in a marathon match, even if it's only three sets remaining. :cool: Plus, Rafa would make such a momentum winning 3rd and 4th set, he would be unstopable.

Can't wait for this evening.

Foxy
09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
I thought Rafa didn't feel great at this Armstrong court. The distance between the baseline and the stands is very small. And it seemed Rafa struggled with the bounce of Murray's flat shots as if the court was faster. I don't know.

Nathaliia
09-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I think he *can* but I think he won't. After all, Murray isn't such a no-name or a pantshitter.

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Murray will win in 3 or 4 sets

malisha
09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
agree
Murray in 3 or maybe 4

decrepitude
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
A long-term Murray fan, I honestly don't know which way this is going to go.

What does surprise me is the number of people saying that if Andy does win, he will be hammered by Fed in the final. You do all know the head-to-head, don't you? 2-1 in favour of Andy. The one he lost was in 2005 when he was 18 and new on the tour. Even if you discount this year's win, on account of Fed's mono, what about the win in 2006 when Roger was at the height of his powers? That so surprised everybody that a lot of people were convinced that Fed tanked.

Andy is a bad match-up for Roger. Unless the match with Rafa goes long and he has nothing left in the tank, the final would certainly not be a cast-iron certainty.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree

As strange as it may seem I think it will be harder for Andy to close this out than it will be to win the final.

Andy has been waiting to play under the lights in the final since he was little and will be inspired should he make it through. Earlier this week when the old champions were parading his words were that losing meant nothing and that you had to win to be a regarded great. A case of timely inspiration I feel

FairWeatherFan
09-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Great Britain's best hope of a grand slam finalist this decade was also spoiled by a rain delay when the Briton was 2 sets up (Henman v Ivanesivic, 2001 Wimbledon). Funny if it happens again.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Great Britain's best hope of a grand slam finalist this decade was also spoiled by a rain delay when the Briton was 2 sets up (Henman v Ivanesivic, 2001 Wimbledon). Funny if it happens again.

It would be deeply upsetting if history repeated itself but murray will have time on his hands should this happen. Henman was not on the radar at murrays age

scarecrows
09-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Even if you discount this year's win, on account of Fed's mono, what about the win in 2006 when Roger was at the height of his powers?

Fed had just won Toronto, he tanked like in 2004 where he lost to Hrbaty

Burrow
09-07-2008, 11:08 AM
If Murray makes the final you will; hear everybody banging on about how he is the best player since fred perry in britain, hopefully nadal will win.

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 11:13 AM
If Murray makes the final you will; hear everybody banging on about how he is the best player since fred perry in britain, hopefully nadal will win.

Win or lose today, he is without question the best player since perry in britain. I have little doubt that will be proven in time.

Loremaster
09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't know why you're pointing that Rafa has to win 3 and Murray 1 , it's not a new match today , Murray is in the position that he is expected to win and pressure is on him, he is not chasing Nadal, Nadal is chasing him , and if Nadal takes it to 5th ( and he has break up in third) Murray is toast, he will lose 6-2 or something, so Nadal really needs to win 3 games in third set and fourth set, if so BYE BYE Murray

HarryMan
09-07-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't think Nadal can win this match but I can clearly say that if the scores were reversed then Andy would definitely bend over today for Rafa, but Rafa wont make the things any simpler for Andy, which is bad news for Murray but good news for Roger tommorow :D

What does surprise me is the number of people saying that if Andy does win, he will be hammered by Fed in the final. You do all know the head-to-head, don't you? 2-1 in favour of Andy. The one he lost was in 2005 when he was 18 and new on the tour. Even if you discount this year's win, on account of Fed's mono, what about the win in 2006 when Roger was at the height of his powers? That so surprised everybody that a lot of people were convinced that Fed tanked.

Andy is a bad match-up for Roger. Unless the match with Rafa goes long and he has nothing left in the tank, the final would certainly not be a cast-iron certainty.

That match was a clear tank, their match this year at Dubai is more like the match they would be having more often in the future but then again Roger was sick at that time, so who knows maybe that was a one time fluke win?

Beating Federer in a best of three set is one thing but doing that in a slam (and that too in a final) is totally different unless you're a guy named Nadal;)

decrepitude
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Please note - I never said that Andy would win in the final, if it happens. I said I was surprised that people expect him to be hammered.

biological
09-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I think whoever wins is gonna be owned by Roger, but I hope it's Rafa because I like him more, it would be a more interesting final and it would help Fed's confidence a lot more.

groundstroke
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Completely disagree, if you saw that match in 2006, you could clearly see Federer was tanking it, he had just won the Toronto Masters, this year Federer was sick therefore you cannot be sure, I still think Federer will have way too mch for Murray over 3 sets. Federer has beaten better guys with better groundstrokes than Murray..

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Completely disagree, if you saw that match in 2006, you could clearly see Federer was tanking it, he had just won the Toronto Masters, this year Federer was sick therefore you cannot be sure, I still think Federer will have way too mch for Murray over 3 sets. Federer has beaten better guys with better groundstrokes than Murray..

It will depend on murrays depth should he get through, if he is playing to the baseline on return murray can win, if he plays short as he is prone to do from time to time, murray will be beaten easily.

Long way to go before we find out whether this match happens but I would add andy is much better than he was in 06 and also much better than he was in dubai at this moment in time

Clydey
09-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's what I think:

What match were you watching? Nadal can count himself lucky to even have got to a tiebreaker. Murray outclassed him in the second set. I don't think he got past 15 (maybe 30 once) on Murray's serve and was at deuce or facing BPS in almost every service game of his own.

Take my word for it, he got outplayed comprehensively.

leng jai
09-07-2008, 12:36 PM
What match were you watching? Nadal can count himself lucky to even have got to a tiebreaker. Murray outclassed him in the second set. I don't think he got past 15 (maybe 30 once) on Murray's serve and was at deuce or facing BPS in almost every service game of his own.

You're definitely the most trustworthy guy on MTF when it comes to not overrating Murray.

Clydey
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
You're definitely the most trustworthy guy on MTF when it comes to not overrating Murray.

I'm being honest. Murray did outplay Nadal in the second set. I'm sure most neutrals and even most Nadal fans would agree.

As for me overrating Murray. He's on the verge of the US Open final (I actually think Nadal will come back and win). Where's Tommy Haas? :D

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM

Murray hit nadal all over the court yesterday, this does not mean he will win but for two sets he played unbeatable tennis not even looking like giving up a break. I was shocked that he won the breaker after throwing away so many break points in set 2. That said nadal played incredibly clutch at times in the second set.

The break was immediate in the 3rd set as murray suffered some let down shanking two forehands terribly in the process

A_Skywalker
09-07-2008, 12:47 PM

I agree, Nadal was outplayed in both sets and only his fighting spirit took him to TB.
I guess his only chance is to fight today and run like crazy. It will be incredible if he pulls off a win.

One more thing to notice is that yesterday Nadal looked like other player. His shots looked like someone else. I dont know what was the problem.

leng jai
09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm being honest. Murray did outplay Nadal in the second set. I'm sure most neutrals and even most Nadal fans would agree.

As for me overrating Murray. He's on the verge of the US Open final (I actually think Nadal will come back and win). Where's Tommy Haas? :D

Your constant mentioning of Haas' lack of results means nothing to me. I don't support players because they have 10 slams, I support them because I like their style of play and their personality.

You're the one who said Murray was the second fittest player on tour right now when clearly that is some herculean bullshit.

Clydey
09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Your constant mentioning of Haas' lack of results means nothing to me. I don't support players because they have 10 slams, I support them because I like their style of play and their personality.

You're the one who said Murray was the second fittest player on tour right now when clearly that is some herculean bullshit.

I think he is. I haven't seen him struggle physically for ages and he oftentimes employs a tiring style of play. That's why he looked fresh as a daisy against Gasquet.

Jaap
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I think he is. I haven't seen him struggle physically for ages and he oftentimes employs a tiring style of play. That's why he looked fresh as a daisy against Gasquet.

Ferrer, Robredo, Davydenko, Schuettler, Nieminen among others can count themselves fitter than Murray IMO.

Clydey
09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Ferrer, Robredo, Davydenko, Schuettler, Nieminen among others can count themselves fitter than Murray IMO.

I haven't really seen proof of it. Ferrer was outlasted by Nishikori, for example.

Elena.
09-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Murray in 4

Jaap
09-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I haven't really seen proof of it. Ferrer was outlasted by Nishikori, for example.

He was outplayed, rather than outlasted.

leng jai
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
He was outplayed, rather than outlasted.

I'd like to see the conclusive evidence that shows Murray is the second fittest player on tour.

Clydey
09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd like to see the conclusive evidence that shows Murray is the second fittest player on tour.

There is none. Purely subjective. You'd be hard pressed to find scientific evidence. It's merely an opinion.

l_mac
09-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Rafa was brilliant on the bps in the 2nd set. He deserved to get to a TB.
Murray hit nadal all over the court yesterday, this does not mean he will win but for two sets he played unbeatable tennis not even looking like giving up a break. I was shocked that he won the breaker after throwing away so many break points in set 2. That said nadal played incredibly clutch at times in the second set.

He didn't throw them away :rolleyes:

I was amazed Rafa threw away the TB!! :rolleyes:
There is none. Purely subjective. You'd be hard pressed to find scientific evidence. It's merely an opinion.

Which everyone has the right to question.

saniapower
09-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Nadal can! problem with murray that he has started thinking about the finish line rather too early. he needs to play point by point, game by game and forget about the whole match. its better for Murray to continue to play power tennis with nadal and avoid doing anything stupid. But Murray has shown signs of nerve and in that case nadal can win 30 sets and Murray not the last one!

miura
09-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Most people thought Nadal had this match easy and the 2-0 lead from Murray is quite the opposite of what people thought. Now it seems like most people think he can turn it around, for that to happen Andy must suffer a major breakdown imo. Murray is looking at his first Grand Slam final, a major achievement, and is NOT letting this opportunity go away easy. Nadal will have to bring his best game and take his chances on big points if he wants to derail Muzza.

Venle
09-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Murray might win in 4.. :confused:

I don't know, tough :help:

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 02:32 PM
spartan rafa will rise from the nearly dead position he is in...

Clydey
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Rafa was brilliant on the bps in the 2nd set. He deserved to get to a TB.

He didn't throw them away :rolleyes:

I was amazed Rafa threw away the TB!! :rolleyes:

Which everyone has the right to question.

By all means point out where I said no one had the right to question my opinion.

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Most people thought Nadal had this match easy and the 2-0 lead from Murray is quite the opposite of what people thought. Now it seems like most people think he can turn it around, for that to happen Andy must suffer a major breakdown imo. Murray is looking at his first Grand Slam final, a major achievement, and is NOT letting this opportunity go away easy. Nadal will have to bring his best game and take his chances on big points if he wants to derail Muzza.

Great post.

Murray will be flowing with confidence not only will the fact he has one foot in the door of his first grand slam final, but also that he seems to have figured out how to beat his nemesis. Remember he's already figured out how to beat Federer, and he sorted out his problems with Djokovic, in his own mind he must be feeling like he can beat anyone from now on.

The rain break gives him a chance to rest up and return for more of the same later.

Nadal though, is a champion, he'll be away psyching himself up and come back throwing everything at Murray. It will be an intriguing end to the match and I can't wait :)

mashamaniac
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Rafa is the man of hard times,yesterday he wasn't his own self and didn't play play like the other nights! but hopefully tonight he'll be at his form to destroy murray! :eek::worship:

rocketassist
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Glad the delay came. Means Andy only has to come out and win a few games or a TB if he breaks him back.

Part of me still foresees a heartbreaking 2-6 6-7 6-4 7-6 6-1 loss.

mashamaniac
09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Great post.

Murray will be flowing with confidence not only will the fact he has one foot in the door of his first grand slam final, but also that he seems to have figured out how to beat his nemesis. Remember he's already figured out how to beat Federer, and he sorted out his problems with Djokovic, in his own mind he must be feeling like he can beat anyone from now on.

*biased* you can never compare rafa with djoke and of course murray's wins over fed was a fluke! well andy has beaten djoker twice already,it doesn't mean he can beat rafa as well!!! that's immature to think like that...:confused:

retire48
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Have you guys noticed in most USO matches Nadal has been a slow starter?? Always in trouble early in matches? Then he slowly grinds his way into the match... As he was in this match. The delay absolutely favors Murray.. Nadal had just started to save/reduce Murray's break opportunities...

Nadal restarts cold again.. gets broken and Murray rolls over him.. Nothing Nadal did bothered Murray one bit. This not clay.

l_mac
09-07-2008, 03:25 PM
By all means point out where I said no one had the right to question my opinion.

By all means point out where I said you said no-one had the right to question your opinion. :confused:

stebs
09-07-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the delay favours Murray. No matter how fit you are or how much you try to play to a game plan, as a match wears on, it becomes increasingly difficult to play all out attack. Nadal is too confident, too good and too determined to let a break slip when he is two sets to zero down in a GS semi. Once the match goes four on the same day it becomes more of a battle and less of a blitz. Favouring Nadal. With the delay though, I feel like Murray has a chance of getting back into the third, Nadal often starts cold even in big matches (there are countless examples of this vs Federer, Djokovic and others) before warming to the task. If Murray doesn't get back into the third then I think it'll hurt him less to lose it after a delay as well, he can start the fourth fresh both mentally and physically and Nadal will struggle to make momentum pay. I still think that Nadal has big chances to win in 5, he is a great fighter and a great player and if he plays really well tomorrow it will still take a big effort for Murray to get over the line against Nadal.

Clydey
09-07-2008, 03:33 PM
By all means point out where I said you said no-one had the right to question your opinion. :confused:

You said people have the right to question my opinions. Why would you say that if you weren't implying something? It was a complete non-sequitur unless you actually had a reason for saying it.

l_mac
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
I wasn't implying anything. You're very defensive :hug:

TMJordan
09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Aye.

l_mac
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Aye.

:rolleyes:

Damn
09-07-2008, 04:28 PM
My 2 Cents:

Yesterday we had the BEST Murray and the WORST Nadal. Murray won the 1st with ease, no complaints here. Then we went to the 2nd. Murray continued with his amazing performance and Nadal continued with his extremely poor one, too. BUT even the WORST Nadal was TOO MENTALLY STRONG to let the BEST Murray break his serve. Then Murray won that 2nd set. This was a complete disgrace to every Nadal fan, if he had won that set I honestly think he would have ended this in 4 easily (with or without rain). And then we have the 3rd set...

After winning the TB (Nadal has a 23-9 record this year, if I'm not mistaken) I think Murray and his fans were thinking that this was mostly done. If I were Murray I would've been thinking something like: "I start serving. I have zero problems holding my serve, Nadal is nearly done and I have BP in almost every returning game" But then the Lord of the Monsters, the man who was nearly dead and finished (roasted, as many MTFers would say) gets his 1st BP and breaks Murray serve (15-40) without problems.

That break is crucial, imo. I think Nadal would have won yesterday and I think he'll win today. And I also think that Murray has that annoying feeling, too. He just had to hold his serve, but he failed in the first attempt.

I can't wait to see the end of this, because if it happens (and Nadal's THE ONE and ONLY to do it) this match will be remembered as the Ultimate Comeback.

Johnny Groove
09-07-2008, 04:31 PM
If Nadal comes back to win this in 5 and then beats Federer for the title on Monday, this will be the stuff of legends

Clydey
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
My 2 Cents:

I have zero problems holding my serve, Nadal is nearly done and I have BP in almost every returning game"[/I] But then the Lord of the Monsters, the man who was nearly dead and finished (roasted, as many MTFers would say) gets his 1st BP and breaks Murray serve (15-40) without problems.

Nadal didn't break Murray. Murray hit 4 UEs, so let's not get carried away. Rafa didn't have any problems because he didn't have to do anything to break. It was handed to him.

Johnny Groove
09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Nadal didn't break Murray. Murray hit 4 UEs, so let's not get carried away. Rafa didn't have any problems because he didn't have to do anything to break. It was handed to him.

The excuses begin :rolleyes:

out_here_grindin
09-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I really hope Murray can hang on

Clydey
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
The excuses begin :rolleyes:

What excuses? Murray did hit 4 UEs to get broken. It's just a fact. I state a fact and you randomly call it an excuse? It's one break of serve. There is nothing to even make excuses for. I actually think Rafa will come back and win the match, so why would I make excuses when I expect him to win?

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
My 2 Cents:

Yesterday we had the BEST Murray and the WORST Nadal. Murray won the 1st with ease, no complaints here. Then we went to the 2nd. Murray continued with his amazing performance and Nadal continued with his extremely poor one, too. BUT even the WORST Nadal was TOO MENTALLY STRONG to let the BEST Murray break his serve. Then Murray won that 2nd set. This was a complete disgrace to every Nadal fan, if he had won that set I honestly think he would have ended this in 4 easily (with or without rain). And then we have the 3rd set...

After winning the TB (Nadal has a 23-9 record this year, if I'm not mistaken) I think Murray and his fans were thinking that this was mostly done. If I were Murray I would've been thinking something like: "I start serving. I have zero problems holding my serve, Nadal is nearly done and I have BP in almost every returning game" But then the Lord of the Monsters, the man who was nearly dead and finished (roasted, as many MTFers would say) gets his 1st BP and breaks Murray serve (15-40) without problems.

That break is crucial, imo. I think Nadal would have won yesterday and I think he'll win today. And I also think that Murray has that annoying feeling, too. He just had to hold his serve, but he failed in the first attempt.

I can't wait to see the end of this, because if it happens (and Nadal's THE ONE and ONLY to do it) this match will be remembered as the Ultimate Comeback.

Pretty good summary although I would say that nadal played pretty good at times yesterday and wasnt as bad as his fans are making out. Murray just played probably the best he ever has.

Who will win, i dont know but it is set up for a classic if rafa continues the comeback

swebright
09-07-2008, 05:14 PM
It's more likely that IF they get to 5 ets, Nadal will win.

pauline
09-07-2008, 05:48 PM
No way Rafa is not winning this one, Murray played superbly well yesterday - one bad service game doesn't change that.

adee-gee
09-07-2008, 05:50 PM
I think the delay favours Murray. No matter how fit you are or how much you try to play to a game plan, as a match wears on, it becomes increasingly difficult to play all out attack. Nadal is too confident, too good and too determined to let a break slip when he is two sets to zero down in a GS semi. Once the match goes four on the same day it becomes more of a battle and less of a blitz. Favouring Nadal. With the delay though, I feel like Murray has a chance of getting back into the third, Nadal often starts cold even in big matches (there are countless examples of this vs Federer, Djokovic and others) before warming to the task. If Murray doesn't get back into the third then I think it'll hurt him less to lose it after a delay as well, he can start the fourth fresh both mentally and physically and Nadal will struggle to make momentum pay. I still think that Nadal has big chances to win in 5, he is a great fighter and a great player and if he plays really well tomorrow it will still take a big effort for Murray to get over the line against Nadal.
Good post.

The only thing I'd add is that it helps Nadal that they're playing on Ashe today (I'm rather surprised, I thought they had to finish the match on the same court :scratch: ). Rafa looked pretty pissed off with the whole situation yesterday, I expect he'll come out with a different attitute today. I agree with the rest you say though, I think the 4th set is the crucial one. That could be Muzza's best chance to finish this off.

WatchOut
09-07-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't like Murray :p I don't like him, but somehow I'm on his side, because it's Federer's US open if Murray gets to the final. And if Nadal wins, Fed has less chances.

I'm going to say Murray in 4 or 5 sets. Nadal will be more fresh than yesterday, and will get a set or 2, purely because he won't be tired and will be able to play at a high standard. i don't think he can take the 5th set though- he's too tired. You could see it yesterday, he barely kept his eyes opened :p

Murray in 5 :)

Tyler_Durden
09-07-2008, 07:17 PM
No way Rafa is not winning this one, Murray played superbly well yesterday - one bad service game doesn't change that.

You are a walking contradiction :devil:

Damn
09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Pretty good summary although I would say that nadal played pretty good at times yesterday and wasnt as bad as his fans are making out. Murray just played probably the best he ever has.

Who will win, i dont know but it is set up for a classic if rafa continues the comeback

I honestly think that Rafa was playing so bad, the worst we've seen from him since Miami, probably. He was totally out of enery and nerve (2 of his best weapons), was arriving late to each ball because of his poor footwork, serve/return were simply awful and all his groundstrokes were bouncing inside the service line. But Murray was brilliant, I'm not taking anything away from him, one thing has nothing to do with the other one.

IMO, Nadal was feeling really uncomfortable because he didn't like neither the weather nor the court, he seemed really pissed with the whole atmosphere of the match.

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I honestly think that Rafa was playing so bad, the worst we've seen from him since Miami, probably. He was totally out of enery and nerve (2 of his best weapons), was arriving late to each ball because of his poor footwork, serve/return were simply awful and all his groundstrokes were bouncing inside the service line. But Murray was brilliant, I'm not taking anything away from him, one thing has nothing to do with the other one.

IMO, Nadal was feeling really uncomfortable because he didn't like neither the weather nor the court, he seemed really pissed with the whole atmosphere of the match.

Yeah, it was quite odd. I couldn't believe some of those forehands Nadal was hitting that were landing 5-6 feet beyond the baseline, I haven't seen him play that badly for a long time. Murray on the other hand, seemed full of confidence as if that Wimbledon humbling never happened. Gotta love the serve-volley on the second serve at 30-30, think he did that twice and won the point.

Johnny Groove
09-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Nadal will be more fresh than yesterday, and will get a set or 2, purely because he won't be tired and will be able to play at a high standard.

And then

i don't think he can take the 5th set though- he's too tired. You could see it yesterday, he barely kept his eyes opened :p

Murray in 5 :)

WTF :shrug:

Lullaby
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM

You could be right, all I know was that 2nd set was tense and very enjoyable. I am so exited about tonight although the 24 hours has dragged so slow. I have no idea what will happen but for my nerves hope that andy wins 16 straight points and ends this thing lol ;)

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
i have a funny feeling this is gonna be over real quick with th scottish clown taking it in 3 or 4, he is a fast starter and will have the advantage after the 24 hour break..

pauline
09-07-2008, 08:42 PM
You are a walking contradiction :devil:

WTF?? So your view is Murray didn't perform well that losing his serve once changed that. Don't be stupid and as a Scot (I take it you are) get behind him!!

tennisfan28
09-07-2008, 08:47 PM
murray is going to be really relaxed and come out swinging from the hips, he has nothing to lose, he can really open up his shoulders and go for winners as he is 2 sets up, im very very worried for rafa...

Tyler_Durden
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
WTF?? So your view is Murray didn't perform well that losing his serve once changed that. Don't be stupid and as a Scot (I take it you are) get behind him!!

check the wording of your post, especially the first part.

was only a joke.

Tyler_Durden
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
is it still 4pm it starts?

biological
09-07-2008, 09:04 PM

This attitude is my least favourite thing about tennis.

Synthesis
09-07-2008, 09:08 PM
any functioning live stream?