Do you guys believe Fed when he said he wants to face Nadal in the finals?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you guys believe Fed when he said he wants to face Nadal in the finals??

dinesh15
09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Fed was asked after the match whether he would prefer Nadal or Murray in the finals. Fed replied he would prefer the trophy. :) It was a great reply. Then he laughed and then said that he would prefer Rafa as they had a great match last time they played and would like to do it again...

Do you guys believe thats what he really wants?? I was not sure, but I think Fed usually doesnt lie and he is very forthright in his answers.

As a fan, I think finals against Murray could be a little less tough for the one reason that its his first finals ever and he could be nervous like his first wimby QFs against Nadal. On the flipside, I would like Fed to beat Nadal as that would do him a world of good for his confidence. I think US Hard courts is clearly Nadals least favorite surface as he seems to have masteres the other surfaces.:sad:

JolánGagó
09-06-2008, 06:31 PM
No.

FNT
09-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, considering how Rafa's semifinal is going, Rog wouldn't mind, I think. Even if Rafa wins, he'll probably be dead-tired tomorrow.
He would never say "I don't wanna play Rafa", he won't give Rafa that kind of mental edge.

Benny_Maths
No. But what do you expect him to say? That he'd rather avoid his nemesis? I'm sure he'd love to destroy Rafa in the final but the chances of that actually happening aren't that high.

noctilux
Well, I think he wants to beat Nadal badly, as he hasn't done so since the Masters last year.

biological
09-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I believe it, it's not like Roger to lie in interviews. Plus I agree that his confidence would be skyhigh if he beat Rafa tomorrow.

freeandlonely
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, considering how Rafa's semifinal is going, Rog wouldn't mind, I think. Even if Rafa wins, he'll probably be dead-tired tomorrow.
He would never say "I don't wanna play Rafa", he won't give Rafa that kind of mental edge.

agree

And yes, he wants revenge if he has a chance.

lurker
09-06-2008, 06:36 PM
What else was he going to say? Seriously, he was probably thinking a little too much about that question, probably thought there is a possibility he's being asked because Rafa is losing the match.

And Murray has beaten Roger before on HC this year. Roger knows he has a great chance to take down Nadal on HC, of course he'd rather play him.

Flibbertigibbet
09-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Murray has done even better on returning Federer's serve than Nadal on hard courts, so... :shrug:

HNCS
09-06-2008, 06:39 PM
yes :)

lina_seta
09-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Murray has done even better on returning Federer's serve than Nadal on hard courts, so... :shrug:

yeah. im actually worry if its murray in the final... hes got a lot of momentum, whereas i dont see nadal with momentum even if he wins.

scarecrows
09-06-2008, 06:41 PM
if he really means that he really has big balls

swebright
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM
YES. That's a great sportsmanship. He wants a revenge and a test to beat the one who had bested him. :devil:

crude oil
09-06-2008, 06:49 PM
murray is a tough matchup on this court. nadal not as much.

tennizen
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
He probably remembers Shanghai last year and is rubbing his hands in glee. But it doesn't mean much now. He'll play Murray in the final.

nateyang
09-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I think he spoke the truth. If Murray reaches the final, he'll have a huge momentum going on and he's a much harder match-up on hard court than Nadal.

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Roger means that in any way possible.
First, he must have noticed Muzza's great improvement of the past few months; second, Muzza is a GREAT HC player and has already beaten him in Dubai; and third, with Roger being the great sportsman that he is, he wants... revenge!
If he's indeed going to get that, I don't know - I'm not counting on it. ;)

oranges
09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, aside from the fact that I beleive he wants a showdown with Nadal, Murray playing well could be a tougher opponent for him on USO HC.

CyBorg
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Bugs Bunny: "Don't you believe it!"

Chiseller
09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I always wondered who this Bugs Bunny is. :scratch:

gjr
09-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Of course he would rather play Nadal. Andy will tear him a new one in the final and he knows it.

Henry Kaspar
09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes. Today's win over Djoko was a confidence booster, hence this is a good time to try regain the upper hand over Rafa.

MacTheKnife
09-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I think he was truthful. Why would he lie. Surely he would want to play his biggest rival. But right now Nadal has his hands full. My thoughts were the opposite of most. Will Murray use it as bulletin board material when he beats Nadal. Well Roger said he wanted Nadal, now he's got me..

FedFan
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Roger, you can't be serious. :p Honestly speeking I would prefer Murray.

habibko
09-06-2008, 09:32 PM
yes Roger meant what he said, and no matter who will it be, Nadal or Murray, if Fed came in with the same form he beat Djokovic with, either one is toast for sure, Fed can beat Nadal convincingly on HC and he has a better H2H on it, and the best HC for Fed is the USO whereas it's the worst for Nadal's game, watch Fed taking all time from Rafa if he played him in final and winning in 3 or 4.

as for the Murray matchup, Murray won't be affected much by being in the first Slam Final as he really want to be a Slam winner and has great motivation and confidence for it, however Dubai's win is as significant as Djokovic's win at AO against Fed, by no means Murray is a better player than Fed on HC or on any other surface for that matter, Murray is a great returner and retriever and clean hitter and thats all, Fed has a great variety and a wonderful serve that has been working throughout the tournament so his chances are way higher, not to mention that he wants to save the year so badly, Rog is just too good to go slamless for a whole year :worship:

thats my humble take for the final :o

SwiSha
09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
revenge for what

embarassing him at The French Open or beating the GOAT in his living room Wimbledon?

Jaap
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I think Fed will lose whoever he faces in the final, but Fed vs Murray would be best for the purists.

Lillith
09-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Fed was asked after the match whether he would prefer Nadal or Murray in the finals. Fed replied he would prefer the trophy. :) It was a great reply. Then he laughed and then said that he would prefer Rafa as they had a great match last time they played and would like to do it again...

Do you guys believe thats what he really wants?? I was not sure, but I think Fed usually doesnt lie and he is very forthright in his answers.

As a fan, I think finals against Murray could be a little less tough for the one reason that its his first finals ever and he could be nervous like his first wimby QFs against Nadal. On the flipside, I would like Fed to beat Nadal as that would do him a world of good for his confidence. I think US Hard courts is clearly Nadals least favorite surface as he seems to have masteres the other surfaces.:sad:

On hardcourt? Yes, I actually think he'd rather face Nadal than Murray. Either clay or grass, his answer would have been the opposite.

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
revenge for what

embarassing him at The French Open or beating the GOAT in his living room Wimbledon?

fed is intimidated by rafa and that loss he suffered in wimbledon had the swiss miss howling like a school girl for hours in the locker room, the poor sod probably still has nightmares about it. So I have no doubt in his emotional and fragile state of mind he needs to give rafa a beating to set things back in order

Lucilla
09-06-2008, 10:12 PM
of course, I believe him.

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
fed is intimidated by rafa and that loss he suffered in wimbledon had the swiss miss howling like a school girl for hours in the locker room, the poor sod probably still has nightmares about it. So I have no doubt in his emotional and fragile state of mind he needs to give rafa a beating to set things back in order

Raf cried his eyes out when he lost the Wimbly final in 2007 just as much. ;)

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I think Fed will lose whoever he faces in the final, but Fed vs Murray would be best for the purists.

you must be high, fed has already won this tournament, just look at this simple facts:

1. the odds are heavily against muzza and rafa due to the fact they must resume on sunday which is mentally and physcially exhausting to have to play such massive matches back to back to back 3 days in a row no rest

2. fed is back to jesus mode, did u see how he ***** the joker?? he was painting the lines on almost every point! did u see the magical shot he hit from 20 feet behind the baseline the defensive/offensive lob retrive!! he is not going to be denied this title

3. fed is wayyy too skilled and talented to go without a grand slam this year, yes i agree he might be a quarter step slower then usual but based on his footwork and hands alone he can emerge triumphant

4. the market have already slashed his odds to 1.61 to win the whole thing, which is just about a sure thing...

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Raf cried his eyes out when he lost the Wimbly final in 2007 just as much. ;)

rafa did shed a tear or two, but he looked masculine doing it, swiss miss just looks weak howling away..

Lucilla
09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I really hope he wins the whole thig, this title is very important for him, it means a lot.Go Roger! :worship:

Castafiore
09-06-2008, 10:18 PM
I love the "Yes, Roger means it/No, he doesn't..." replies. How do you guys know if a player really means something or not anyway?

My feeling is that Roger wants his revenge against Nadal. Pure and simple. (which isn't a criticism, by the way, it's natural for a top athlete to want to get the upper hand).

Jaap
09-06-2008, 10:19 PM
4. the market have already slashed his odds to 1.61 to win the whole thing, which is just about a sure thing...

Yep, 1.61 shots have never lost. :retard:

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Yep, 1.61 shots have never lost. :retard:

almost never, fed has won this usopen, as much as i detest that fact as well, we have to accept it...

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
rafa did shed a tear or two, but he looked masculine doing it, swiss miss just looks weak howling away..

A tear or two? The press reported he locked himself into the bathroom for half an hour, crying his eyes out. Very masculine, indeed - whatever 'masculine' is in the first place, btw.
Not that it matters to me, rather the contrary - I adore men who are capable of letting their emotions flow. :worship:

My feeling is that Roger wants his revenge against Nadal. Pure and simple. (which isn't a criticism, by the way, it's natural for a top athlete to want to get the upper hand).

Yep. That's the proper disposition for a genuine top athlete - to go out and seek for revenge, even if it may well be a lost cause.

~Maya~
09-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I think that Roger is still a better player than Rafa on HC. It is all about his confidence and his confidence should be high right now. Murray is a bad match up for Roger, but experience would prevail if they end up playing in the final.

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
I think that Roger is still a better player than Rafa on HC. It is all about his confidence and his confidence should be high right now. Murray is a bad match up for Roger, but experience would prevail if they end up playing in the final.

bad matchup for monofed not jesusfed who will exercise a demolition derby on the scottish clown...

Ivanatis
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Definitely. He has nothing to lose against Nadal. He does have against Murray.

Andi-M
09-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Yeah as others have said he fancies his chances against Nadal on these courts. Nadal hasnt looked particulary great this USO Roger has played better than him/

Murray however is hottest player on the tour right now. He has a winning H2H with Roger on fast HCs. Fed will be very scared at the prospect of playing Murray.

So yeah he wants the easier option.

federernadalfan
09-07-2008, 01:15 AM
the US open HC is arguably nadal's weakest surface, so yes fed means it when he has a pretty solid chance of beating him

WNB
09-07-2008, 01:17 AM
I definitely believe him. Just like he still believies he can beat Nadal fair and square. And by all means should he keep that belief.

Of course it wouldn't exactly be fair and square, if Nadal would indeed end up on the other side of the net in the final.

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
He's a massive favourite versus Nadal on this surface so of course he'd be happy to face the Spaniard. A great chance for revenge for the French and English Open humiliations. Federer is in much better shape than Nadal at the moment, I can see him dishing out a massive defeat to the Spaniard should they meet tomorrow.

Frank Winkler
09-07-2008, 02:11 AM
he first said he wants the cup.
Then he said I guess i should want Rafa.
He was very charming and honest.
Showing precisely how he fealt.
Why are you trying to make him look deceptive?

MyPrecious
09-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes, I believe Roger honestly wants Rafa in the final. After all, revenge is a dish best served cold ;)

Too bad for him, it appears, he won't be getting that revenge. At least not now :) :confused:

prairiegirl
09-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Yes, absolutely. He lost to Rafa the last two times they met -- in the French and Wimbledon. In the latter, Rafa stopped an important streak and Roger wants a chance to try and even the score. I don't think it has anything to do with Murray and how he plays. Also, Fed and Rafa have a fantastic rivalry going and I think they genuinely enjoy playing against each other.

Forehander
09-07-2008, 03:22 AM
I believe him. Federer has a lead in their hard court match-up.

platinum
09-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Fed won't get what he wants since he will be playing Murray.

Fedex
09-07-2008, 06:30 AM
He's a massive favourite versus Nadal on this surface so of course he'd be happy to face the Spaniard. A great chance for revenge for the French and English Open humiliations. Federer is in much better shape than Nadal at the moment, I can see him dishing out a massive defeat to the Spaniard should they meet tomorrow.

Well yes. I could imagine that Federer could have an easy time with Nadal tomorrow right after Nadal concludes his 5 set comeback win. He'll be drained.......................

The final is going to be played on MONDAY.

mariyella80
09-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I think he does want to play rafa.....and the FANS want to see it to....hopefully a replay of wimbeldon or more like revenge:mad:...,but a I really feel at this point Rafa would be VERY satisfied as runner up to the tournament........on another note I am sick and tired of johnny Mac and his brother REFUSING to give Rafa credit on the hardcourts, wasn't he runner up in indian wells an miami, did he NOT win Rogers cup this year and IS he NOT in the semi - finals of grandslam on hardcourt; you don't do that if you're BAD on hardcourts....they really piss me off

VAAAAAAAMOS RAFA, :yippee:

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Yes, plus he knows he would beat him easily after a grueling 5 setter against Murray

Bernard Black
09-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Well yes. I could imagine that Federer could have an easy time with Nadal tomorrow right after Nadal concludes his 5 set comeback win. He'll be drained.......................

The final is going to be played on MONDAY.

Way ahead of you mate, if you bothered to look at the time of my post, Sunday 0200 BST, I was correct in what I said :)

A_Skywalker
09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, plus he knows he would beat him easily after a grueling 5 setter against Murray

Well, they play in 2 days so its not going to be a factor.

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 10:39 AM

You´re a bit too delusional. Do I need to remember what has happened to Nadal in the past after a tough match against Murray?

Aenea
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM

:speakles:

How couldn't that be a factor when one of the players will have more than 48hrs to recover both mentally and physically from his SF while the other one will have less than 24 hrs.

Bilbo
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM

rubbish, mate

Bilbo
09-07-2008, 10:43 AM

smart comment by roger :shrug:

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 10:45 AM
smart comment by roger :shrug:

Yup, told ya Nadal was not winning this after seeing SF lineups

Jaap
09-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Even if Nadal entered the court on a wheelchair, Fed will still find a way to choke against him in the final.

rafa the best
09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Of course he wants him in the final after a 5 sets match.What a hypocrite.

Burrow
09-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Why would he lie...I mean Murray would be more difficult anyway.

HeretiC
09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I am quite sure that he is having a mixed feelings about this one. He would love to win a title over Nadal, his game is uprising, while Nadal's game is on the way down, not much but that still opens a chance for Roger. Plus this is definitely the worst surface for Nadal (apart from inside low bouncing carpet). This turned out to be his best chance and a best moment to beat Nadal. On the other hand he is still afraid of being humiliated once again. :shrug:

Quadruple Tree
09-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Why would Federer be afraid of being humiliated? The only time Nadal has ever humiliated Federer was the French this year. The last two times they have faced each other on hard courts, Nadal is the one who left with his tail between his legs.

Mannboy
09-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I dont think he was lieing. I think he views it as nothing to lose

Nathaliia
09-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I suppose he wants some revenge. Now Federer is the one who has nothing to lose, and recent scores seem to confirm this theory.

Joretus
09-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, I think he wants to beat Nadal badly, as he hasn't done so since the Masters last year.

Yes. And if he wouldn't want to beat "the best out there" he shouldn't play anymore. After top player isn't ready to challenge other top players, it's game over to climb over to top.

Aenea
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Why would Federer be afraid of being humiliated? The only time Nadal has ever humiliated Federer was the French this year. The last two times they have faced each other on hard courts, Nadal is the one who left with his tail between his legs.

Losing Wimbledon to Nadal was even more painful and humiliating to Federer than being hammered at FO. Because that W final was such a great thriller that will be remembered and pointed out as one of the greatest matches in tennis history. And he was the loser in that thriller.

I suppose he wants some revenge. Now Federer is the one who has nothing to lose, and recent scores seem to confirm this theory.

Federer has everything to lose in this tournament. It's his last hope of winning a GS this year.

Commander Data
09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes. Rof wants Rafa to show his is the best. he wants to be the best and therefore he wants to beat Rafa. he sure means it!

A_Skywalker
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
You´re a bit too delusional. Do I need to remember what has happened to Nadal in the past after a tough match against Murray?

I was sarcastic. Read my comments in the other topics. I totaly think the organizers gave Fed advantage unintentionaly

HeretiC
09-07-2008, 08:06 PM

He has been playing against Nadal 4 times in 2008 and being defeated 4 times and he was No 1 all that time. Losing 4 times in a row is quite humiliating. It doesn't have to be plus humiliating score like in FO.

tennis2tennis
09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
if roger said murray people would call him a coward
if he said nadal he get called a liar

that's why his first answer was " i prefere the trophy"

michellej
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM
No wonder Roger said Rafa , who's never got to the semi's at USO before. Wait til he sees the tape of Murray playing and hears the match report from his dad. And Fed is well aware that Murray h/h is 2-1

Should be a very interesting final.

Sunset of Age
09-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Good jinxing job, Rodge. :angel:

maskedmuffin
09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
he chokes worse against nadulll than a hooker on sunset blvd; and is frankly intimidated by him rather than externalizing his hate towards him, as he does with djokovic.

Murray by no means is as an easier physical matchup on hardcourts, but overall from a mental perspective he has much less of mental block to "play his points" in his style.

Plus, most importantly of all, there isn't that heavy lefty forehand kicker to his high backhand, which is what the nadullll pulls 90% of the time..its like a broken record

andy has the hc game to win tomorrow, but mentally roger should be coming into this with the crowd from the andreev, muller, and djokovic matches. As evening turns to night at 8:00, then the magic will begin

Bijoux0021
09-07-2008, 11:19 PM
if roger said murray people would call him a coward
if he said nadal he get called a liar

that's why his first answer was " i prefere the trophy"
EXACTLY!

luie
09-08-2008, 02:25 AM
Even if Nadal entered the court on a wheelchair, Fed will still find a way to choke against him in the final.
Sad but true!!!

Sebby
09-08-2008, 12:26 PM
lol Yeah Jaap. Fed is a liar.

Bibir
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
God bless Rafa! :cool:

Bernard Black
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Pretty sure Federer will be disappointed in a way that he didn't get a shot at a tired Nadal in the final, but the prospect of slam number thirteen to take him so close to Sampras will be consolation enough.

A_Skywalker
09-08-2008, 02:19 PM
he chokes worse against nadulll than a hooker on sunset blvd; and is frankly intimidated by him rather than externalizing his hate towards him, as he does with djokovic.

Murray by no means is as an easier physical matchup on hardcourts, but overall from a mental perspective he has much less of mental block to "play his points" in his style.

Plus, most importantly of all, there isn't that heavy lefty forehand kicker to his high backhand, which is what the nadullll pulls 90% of the time..its like a broken record

andy has the hc game to win tomorrow, but mentally roger should be coming into this with the crowd from the andreev, muller, and djokovic matches. As evening turns to night at 8:00, then the magic will begin

Actually Murray is harder for Federer, at least in USO. Plus what can Nadal do, he could have won the match, but he was exhausted. Even Nadal cant recover for 1 day.

JolánGagó
09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Slam 13th will not happen, stop deluding yourself.

Muzza is the man, even Djoker is soooooo passé. Muzza'll be N.2 in no time from now.

Corey Feldman
09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
of course he meant it

he knows Muzza is a bigger HC danger

Bernard Black
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Slam 13th will not happen, stop deluding yourself.

Muzza is the man, even Djoker is soooooo passé. Muzza'll be N.2 in no time from now.

Not sure if that was aimed at me but you do have a habit of taking a harsh tone to my posts so I'll assume it was.

Have a look at the flag dude, I'm a big Murray fan, I don't want Federer to win so I'm not deluded about anything.

JolánGagó
09-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Not specially at you, just at the deluding masses who still think Fed can make it back.

The flag might mislead people though.