Goodbye USA Network [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Goodbye USA Network

MusicMyst
09-06-2008, 12:52 AM
You weren't perfect, but you certainly tried hard. Thanks for all the great matches throughout the years.

You will be missed. :sad::sad::sad:

cobalt60
09-06-2008, 01:12 AM
You weren't perfect, but you certainly tried hard. Thanks for all the great matches throughout the years.

I agree; for coverage in the states and certainly when we compare them to other stations I would give them a B+

amierin
09-06-2008, 01:13 AM
USA gave us all day coverage, no matter how long the day was. ESPN would probably have cut away for bass fishing or something equally as pressing last night.

Fee
09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
I'm kind of bummed that USA didn't do a really good, long clip show to end their broadcast last night. The tiny bit they showed was kind of lame (no clip of Pete vomiting on court :devil: ).

10K Futures Qualifier
09-06-2008, 04:26 AM
Are they just done with the open or is the whole entire network shutting down?

Clara Bow
09-06-2008, 04:26 AM
I agree; for coverage in the states and certainly when we compare them to other stations I would give them a B+

I agree- they were not great, but could be better than other options in the US.

I also would have liked more of a retrospective.

To me the best grand slam coverage that we have had in the US was the old Wimbledon coverage on HBO :hearts:

No- they are focusing more on their original shows (they actually have a couple of good ones imo) and I think are going to cover some lesser golf stuff for their sport.

Is my memory jumbled or did they used to cover more sports back in the day?

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Good Riddance. I am tired of WWE Raw and dog show preempting the U.S. Open. And they canceled 4400 too which really upset me. I guess anything is better than the Tennis Channel with Gimelstob as their anchor but still USA Network was a disgrace. ESPN's got to step up and give Tennis the respect it deserves.

Fee
09-06-2008, 04:30 AM

No, they just aren't covering the US Open anymore. Still plenty of episodes of Monk and Law and Order reruns to watch.

Good Riddance. I am tired of WWE Raw and dog show preempting the U.S. Open. And they canceled 4400 too which really upset me. I guess anything is better than the Tennis Channel with Gimelstob as their anchor but still USA Network was a disgrace. ESPN's got to step up and give Tennis the respect it deserves.

ESPN will only cover the USO for 2 - 4 hours a day (apparently, according to stories from a while back when the deal was announced). I believe the bulk of the coverage will be on Tennis Channel next year.

Sparko1030
09-06-2008, 04:30 AM
:bigcry: USA's coverage of the USO is so far superior to any slam coverage on ESPN2. (plus no PatMac ;) :lol:) ESPN has a lot to live up to in my opinion, and I have my doubts they will do it. :sad:

Sparko1030
09-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Oh no :tears: not TTC! Everyone gets USA, but very few get TTC, including me. Now I'm really depressed......:awww:

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 04:35 AM
No, they just aren't covering the US Open anymore. Still plenty of episodes of Monk and Law and Order reruns to watch.

They will run Dog shows all year long. It's like Dog Ultimate Championships or something. They mad at other animals too. Like cats, horses, who knows. USA Network is going down the drain and they may close now that they are ahead. I mean who freaking watches WWF anymore man.

[QUOTE]ESPN will only cover the USO for 2 - 4 hours a day (apparently, according to stories from a while back when the deal was announced). I believe the bulk of the coverage will be on Tennis Channel next year.

I think PMac will be busy next year. He is working with the clones of Roger Federer that US has waiting in the wings and he is gonna shock the world... NOT! PMac will probably have a couple more kids, run Roddick down to ground, and then lose a couple of more Davis Cup ties (now is it just me or this guy hates Federer?).

10K Futures Qualifier
09-06-2008, 04:36 AM
We got TTC but our cable box doesn't work right now, so only basic channels 2-99 no 112. comcast :devil::devil::devil:

10K Futures Qualifier
09-06-2008, 04:37 AM
it will be getting fixed soon though:bounce:

knight_ley
09-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Great, so I won't see any USO next year since I don't get TTC. :o

I guess I'll go up more than a few days so I can at least see the matches live.

Fedex
09-06-2008, 04:45 AM
USA did a good job of covering the Open for so many years. There all day coverage was fucking awesome. It's a shame that it's coming to an end. ESPN won't even come close sadly.

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 04:47 AM
USA did a good job of covering the Open for so many years. There all day coverage was fucking awesome. It's a shame that it's coming to an end. ESPN won't even come close sadly.

I think we need to realize the business side of it too. With no decent US player in sight, who wants to see the U.S. Open and miss all the great programming that USA Network will offer next year.

mariyella80
09-06-2008, 05:29 AM
TTC needs to become part of the basic channel network and NOT the sports packaging....I live in a dorm and ESPN doesnt do TENNIS justice, if they STEP up; I think I'd only look forward to chris fowler ang brad gilbert ( if he's not coaching) go at it....then have Cahill correct them on their stats.....so where does this leave johnny mc.....then again the aussie commentator on TTC BEATS them all :).....Oh does this mean that Michael is OUT of a JOB....

thrust
09-06-2008, 10:56 AM

So true! They were very generous with their coverage often giving us extended coverage. I doube ESPN will be so kind.

uNIVERSE mAN
09-06-2008, 11:26 AM
USA Network is crap. I'm sick of their entertainment-based coverage of a sports event. The commentators are 'chatting' most of the time, and the ridiculous in-match interviews with marginal celebrities overshadowing the actual match being played was the most irritating thing ever. I'm glad to be rid of this piece of shit channel.

uNIVERSE mAN
09-06-2008, 11:27 AM
So true! They were very generous with their coverage often giving us extended coverage. I doube ESPN will be so kind.

that extended coverage was saved for marginal american players, they disappeared on schedule for anyone else.

MacTheKnife
09-06-2008, 11:43 AM

I agree with you 100%. Those bitching about USA will be sorry next year when they are bouncing all over the place trying to find coverage between TTC, and all the espn networks. Can you even imagine espn covering anything from 11am until after 1am.
USA did a fine job for 25 years and we will regret not having start to finish coverage, in quality HD coverage. Most of their broadcasts were even in dolby digital 5.0 surround sound. I know they were not perfect, but just wait until we're living the alternative.
The mere thought of Chris Fowler for more than one match makes me want to vomit.

michellej
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Up until a few years ago we didn't have any of this coverage at all, so just consider yourselves lucky we had it at all. People went through a lifetime of being a tennis follower by reading scraps of tennis news in the paper & never ever being able ot see 1 of Rod Laver's matches.

There is lots of free streaming available now for tennis watching.

out_here_grindin
09-06-2008, 12:47 PM
John is so much better that Pmac. why would ESPN even want the US open? For the weeks before the NFL they become football network.

akosiirwyn
09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
:bigcry: I HATE ESPN. and I don't get TTC either so it's a huge loss. *sigh* Thanks for all the great years, USA!

sheeter
09-06-2008, 04:27 PM
They tried hard and provided a lot of coverage. I always appreciated it when they would show a match to the end, no matter the time.

swebright
09-06-2008, 04:41 PM
That means we won't see Jim Courier anymore?
I know Agassi won't do it, but he gives very insightful and intelligent comments. Whenever JMac is on, I have to hit "mute" on remote.

star_of_dusk
09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvbpBbp0Rg

WF4EVER
09-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Tragic really.

I always enjoyed their coverage immensely until the last few years when they became so partial, but still the best tennis coverage ever.

I just hope TTC will sufficiently pick up the slack because ESPN sucks.