What Will You Remember From US Open 2008? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What Will You Remember From US Open 2008?

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
The U.S. Open has been somewhat weird this year with strange long matches and monumental chokes. Understanding that there are still three matches to go (which may not get done by Sunday), I'd like to know your one favorite moment from this year's edition. Mine is Cilic's heroic effort against Novak.

Jaap
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Why was it a heroic effort?

He lost the tie break 7-0...................yes 7-0!

Robredo gave a better showing against Djoko.

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Well. Andreev's effort also needs to be acknowledged but I think Cilic went way beyond his years.

iriraz
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Probably Mullers run coming back two matches in a row from 2 sets down and beating Davydenko in 4

MacTheKnife
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm hoping the best is yet to come. Quite honestly, it's been a little uneventful so far. I guess the Muller run is up there but when the 4 guys everyone predicted are in the semis, I'm not overly surprised with anything.

Venle
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Djokovic - Cilic

Muller

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Everybody here knows I don't like Roddick but I thought it was a huge effort on his part to win 4 matches, especially against Gulbis

groundstroke
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
-Roddick playing unbelievable for 4 matches and then playing good and bad at the same time against Djokovic.
-The recovery of Federer's backhand (still 2 matches to go for Federer...), against Stepanek, Alves, Gonzalez it's looked awesome, against Andreev it was decent too.
-Haas blowing a 2 set lead.
-Ivanovic breaking a record in going out so early..
If it comes to memorable shots, then it has to be an unbelievable Federer forehand in the fifth set against Andreev, huge speed on it, a Gasquet forehand that landed on the line against Haas (gasquet was on his backfoot and he ripped it) and also Robredo's awesome backhand passing shot against Djokovic after Robredo was lobbed from the net.

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I think Fish needs to get props too for beating Blake and pushing Nadal. But Nadal showed how it's done. I think Fish would've beaten Federer in that ninja mode.

leng jai
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Mugray's herculean guns have been permanently burned into my retina.

Bilbo
09-05-2008, 01:27 PM
muller's run and nole's antics on court

groundstroke
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
-James Flake's entertaining 5setter with Donald Young-

Mistaflava
09-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Roger Federer getting killed by Djokovic

rocketassist
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Murray and Del Potro's net exchange.

jasmin
09-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Federer showing his passion.
The up and comers (Del Potro, etc) proving that they have the mental strength to get far.
People who don't usually play as well having a good run and fighting because they have nothing to lose.
Proof that rankings is just about points on the wta side.
Venus and Serena duking it out again like they were playing against other players.
The New York crowd finally seeing the real Djokovic the year.

Johnny Groove
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Nishikori making the 4th round :)

EnriqueIG8
09-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Nadal proving he can do well at US Open too
Federer shows his emotion
Djokovic shows that he is a mug afterall :)

FairWeatherFan
09-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Murray breaks into the top 5 and proves that he is the real thing.

Forehander
09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
1.) Andy Roddick vs Fernando Gonzalez post-match interview

2.) Djokovic faking in Robredo's match

3.) This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPnHN_yJpY - The day Djokovic truly turned into the bad guy of tennis.

4.) Federer showing his passion.

Fumus
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Yay Mistaflava where have you been!?!

zoparrat
09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Muller's comebacks vs Haas and Almagro, Nishikori's win against Ferrer, Roddick easing past Santoro and Santoro's frustration at the end after Roddick's body serve going too close. Gulbis destroying Roddick for very close to two sets and then melting down. Cilic staying with Djokovic from the back of the court for a good length of the match. Roddick's choke serving for the set 5-4 30-0 up, with the wind, new balls?.

Andi-M
09-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Murray winning his 1st GS title. :D

opeth84
09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't know yet so far if it's going to be remembered for anything in particular but i think some of the younger players have had a pretty good showing and it may be a stepping stone for a few players.

I also think Djokovic is growing up but he still has a way to go. I think the incident in the Roddick match was a case of the boy crying wolf too many times. I mean he's been pretty solid this year especially since Monte Carlo and has not been taking the injury time outs like he was last year.. But there are alot of haters on auto pilot and anytime he takes a time out then he's "faking". And well to be fair he really has brought that upon himself. I think he needs to grin and bear it for the time being and it will go away.

And hopefully we will remember this US open as a time mtf was going through a low phase. It really amazes me that certain posters here can still watch tennis. Every match result thread is negative. No one ever plays a good match.Players don't win. The loser chokes. It's starting to get a bit ridiculous.

FiBeR
09-05-2008, 03:20 PM
this thread, definately

l_mac
09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
The panic about the possibility of Rafa wearing a shirt with sleeves :o :o

Clydey
09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Murray and Del Potro's net exchange.

Really liked that too. That was a nice moment.

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
By the way, I just checked Roddick's site and it seems they have censored the whole Djokovic part. Really cool

l_mac
09-05-2008, 05:23 PM
By the way, I just checked Roddick's site and it seems they have censored the whole Djokovic part. Really cool

Thanks for that info. I imagine you have Roddick's site in your favourites. Your most viewed, right? :hug:

Black Adam
09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Yay!!! Mista is tha house folks!!! :rocker2: This place really could use some of your legendary humour and witty remarks;):)

Black Adam
09-05-2008, 05:37 PM
What you talking about?? You visit his site everyday so don't give us that :bs: Closet fanboy.:rolleyes:

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
What you talking about?? You visit his site everyday so don't give us that :bs: Closet fanboy.:rolleyes:

That's not true. I ain't a fan. I think you got to watch people you dislike closer to see when they slip. In case of Andy, that's like every hour. But this thread isn't about that anyway. So why argue. One favorite moment of mine was Santoro getting mad like he was gonna do something about it. The dude is down like 6-2, 6-2, 5-2, and down 40-0 and he complains about the serve.

MrChopin
09-05-2008, 05:50 PM
That's not true. I ain't a fan. I think you got to watch people you dislike closer to see when they slip. In case of Andy, that's like every hour.

You're well on your way to a favorable draw.

Black Adam
09-05-2008, 06:04 PM
That's not true. I ain't a fan. I think you got to watch people you dislike closer to see when they slip. In case of Andy, that's like every hour. But this thread isn't about that anyway. So why argue. One favorite moment of mine was Santoro getting mad like he was gonna do something about it. The dude is down like 6-2, 6-2, 5-2, and down 40-0 and he complains about the serve.

Nice try. You clearly have a problem with Roddick. Now I am certain that you don't hate the guy but what he represents. Probably you had problems or were jealous of someone with the same behaviour patterns of Roddick. Probably you were hurt by someone like Roddick. What other explanation is there for such intense hatred??? Hating someone you have never met? Dislike is ok but hatred is really screwed up.

That phrase I have put in bold is really troubling. I dislike Federer for a lot of things but I am nowhere near you. Your beef with Roddick is pure hatred. I bet you actually lose sleep thinking about the guy. :help:

affinity
09-05-2008, 06:35 PM
1) Gilles Muller and his improbable run
2) Confirmation that Davydenko is always a candidate for being in on the take
3) The Williams' match (even though I think Venus let her win, it was still good tennis)
4) Nole experiencing growing pains in terms of interacting with fans/media/other players (even though I gave him kudos last night, it probably wasn't in the best of taste)
5) Watching the possible re-emergence of Federer

r2473
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Tough question.

1) That it was the most boring US Open ever:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130862

2) That it was an embarrassment to Grand Slam Tennis:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130903

3) The length of matches:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130976

4) Oh, and who could forget the "clever" Mug-Off (Mug = Funny):

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=130765

Really, just too many memories. But, as always, the MTF crowd does an excellent job analyzing them all.

r2473
09-05-2008, 06:55 PM

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice try. You clearly have a problem with Roddick. Now I am certain that you don't hate the guy but what he represents. Probably you had problems or were jealous of someone with the same behaviour patterns of Roddick. Probably you were hurt by someone like Roddick. What other explanation is there for such intense hatred??? Hating someone you have never met? Dislike is ok but hatred is really screwed up.

That phrase I have put in bold is really troubling. I dislike Federer for a lot of things but I am nowhere near you. Your beef with Roddick is pure hatred. I bet you actually lose sleep thinking about the guy. :help:

I really think you are out to get me. Since the start of the U.S. Open you have been just on my case constantly. Now you have drunk a bit and are making up stories. Man. I told you I don't look for trouble. I don't like Roddick. A lot of people don't like Federer or Novak or Nadal. Who cares. I check a lot of sites man. I don't know what your problem is but I recommend therapy.

Fedex
09-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Djokovic getting cascaded with boos from the crowd. That is what I will ultimately remember from this tournament. That and Federer destroying Djokovic in tomorrow's semis.

DhammaTiger
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Well. Andreev's effort also needs to be acknowledged but I think Cilic went way beyond his years.

What do you mean beyond his years? DelPotro is same age and Nishikori is much younger, and I didn't see his performance to be better than the 2 I mentioned.

DhammaTiger
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I will remember Nishikori's run in the USopen especially the 5 setter with Ferrer. for him to reach the round of 16 was really marvelous.

Alonsofz
09-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Kei, JMDP and Müller's runs :)

Snoo Foo
09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
That cookie's not very good.

~*BGT*~
09-05-2008, 11:13 PM
That I didn't get to watch any of it due to the fall semester starting on Aug 25th and the hurricane hitting this Monday, which knocked out electricity to my neighborhood for at least a week. :mad:

MisterQ
09-05-2008, 11:32 PM
The Williams Sisters/Sarah Palin simulcast

cobalt60
09-06-2008, 12:15 AM
The Williams Sisters/Sarah Palin simulcast

:rolls: welcome back Mr Q :hug:

Jeu_Set_Match
09-06-2008, 12:18 AM
I'll mostly remember Roddick's gigantic choke.

Guns N Pieces
09-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Seeing Fed so happy after winning a match against a qualifier.

I think he truly enjoys just playing now, not necessarily winning.

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 01:20 AM
What do you mean beyond his years? DelPotro is same age and Nishikori is much younger, and I didn't see his performance to be better than the 2 I mentioned.

I would like to think Cilic being close to beating the No. 3 in the world beats the effort of the other two. But I agree that its' very close.

Henry Kaspar
09-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Nadal reaching his first semis, Federer getting a respectable result after his post-Wimbledon depression, Djokovic proving that Wimbledon was a fluke, Murray having his breakthrough slam, Roddick showing that there is still some life in his old bones, Muller making a great run as an outsider. On the ladies' side, the Williams sisters proving that in form, there are head and shoulders above everyone else.

And a disgraceful audience.

gillian
09-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Fish taking the first set from Nadal. Didn't expect that at all.

Snoo Foo
09-06-2008, 02:19 AM
"Rooo-eeeee Machado (Clap! Clap! Clapclapclap!)"
Capdeville vs. Alves :worship:
Cuevas vs. Bloomfield
Nishikori vs. Ferrer
Robredo vs. Safin :mad:
"Allez Lamine!"
del Potro vs. Canyas :hug:
Schwank vs. Tursunov :sad:
Gianluca Naso asking the spectators to confirm line calls :lol:
Moya vs. Tsonga (esp. the moonball-smash-netcord-netjump-highfive point) :eek:
the improbably large shadows cast by Willy Canyas' nipples
the chant of the women sitting behind me during Ferru vs. Beck: "Te-ne-mos hambre!"
Gabashvili's gold chain lying in the middle of the court for several points
the ballgirl who had to hold verdasco's bloody towel
the crying of Soledad Esperon
"C'mon Andy, he's from Latvia!"

wilmar
09-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Nadal having his BEST US Open run...
the many incredible 5 setters...
and finally SARS, Bird Flu and Anthrax...

Lurker011
09-06-2008, 03:36 AM
as of now,the highlight for me is Djokovic's interview after beating Roddick. Nole showed his true colors there. as andy said,when you make jokes,you better take them as well. nole did not,and him being booed will be replayed for years to come.

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 04:28 AM
I think people will forgive Novak. They did Agassi, and Safin, and McEnroe. Even Roddick who calls out umpires telling kids to stay in school so they don't become umpires is often forgiven by these crowds.

mariyella80
09-06-2008, 05:04 AM
lots of eye contact with fernando verdaco ;)

Kalliopeia
09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
the improbably large shadows cast by Willy Canyas' nipples

I seem to have missed this, sadly. :lol:

I've enjoyed this US Open a lot so far, and I am hoping that my most memorable moment has yet to come. :)

There have been a lot of matches that I really enjoyed...Gulbis/Roddick (at least for the first set and a half), JMDP/anyone, Simon/Almagro, Nishikori/Ferrer, Cilic/Djokovic (Cilic collapsed at the end unfortunately but I was very impressed by him overall)...I'm sure I'm forgetting some. The best matches always seem to come from slightly lower ranked guys.

Loved seeing Gulbis, JMDP, Nishikori and Cilic doing well. I like all of them a lot, even if it hurt seeing Ferrer lose.

Djokovic getting booed will definitely count as a memorable moment.

Mishka Logvi
09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
2 comebacks from Muller

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Fish taking the first set from Nadal. Didn't expect that at all.

sounds like you are new to tennis :o

dorkgirl
09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Not much really. I don't think this has been a classic year. Still got 3 games to go though, so you never know. We might still get something yet.

Although with the four semi finalists we have left, they all have a great story if they win. Nadal will cement a phenomenal year, and prove he's cracked the surface he was least fancied on. Murray and his first slam win, Djokovic coming back after a mediocre mid season to bookend the year with slam wins. And of course Federer would salvage a huge win after his worst year since he was about.. 12 years old or something.

Well, i've right cheered myself up about it now. Maybe i will remember it a bit more fondly.

mariyella80
09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
what was memorable about robredo/safin apart from the rain delay and safin tanking the match.....

mariyella80
09-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I THINK monday night of first round play del potro and Canas, great groundstrokes and canas was fighting like hell until he hurt his quad infact the 2nd set after being down 1-4 causing del potro to break his racket.... And ofcourse VERDASCO/MACHADO....football chanting, spanish singing, nando getting animated, sprinkling rain, Machado winking at an OLD LADY on the sideline (making her blush) when he almost ran into her.....

Kolya
09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Davydenko breaking 4 racquets.

sheeter
09-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I enjoyed a lot of the power slug fests like Gulbis-Roddick and Blake-Fish.

Snoo Foo
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
what was memorable about robredo/safin apart from the rain delay and safin tanking the match.....

I will remember it. I never claimed it was "memorable."

swebright
09-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Fish's swim (run).

swebright
09-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Andy Murray for his big break. And some young guns showing potential (Gublis, Cilic, Kei, Del Potro). And the fact that we can't expect anything from the middle age people like Berdych, Baghadis