Should the men play friday night? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should the men play friday night?

Andi-M
09-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I agree super Saturday is great for TV and everything. As a fan i really like it, For the players not so good but thats just the way it is.

The only problem i have with it this year is that Saturday is forcast to be a washout. Its not 100% gonna happen but its highly likely...and what will happen then?

Sure they can play womens final on Sunday too, but the priority has to be that the men can play the final on Sunday so the tornament can finsh on time, and in order to do this both semi finals have to be completed before Sunday, and the only way to gurantee it is for the guys to play Friday night

finishingmove
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
expect the worst possible outcome

jayjay
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree super Saturday is great for TV and everything. As a fan i really like it, For the players not so good but thats just the way it is.

The only problem i have with it this year is that Saturday is forcast to be a washout. Its not 100% gonna happen but its highly likely...and what will happen then?

Sure they can play womens final on Sunday too, but the priority has to be that the men can play the final on Sunday so the tornament can finsh on time, and in order to do this both semi finals have to be completed before Sunday, and the only way to gurantee it is for the guys to play Friday night

I agree with your sentiment, but it's not going to happen.

I also love super saturday as a viewer, but if I was a player I would of course justifiably hate it. Men's final will have to be on the monday, what other choice is there?

fast_clay
09-05-2008, 12:54 AM
i always think its weird... US Open is different from other GS in so many ways... i used to hate it, but, now i think its what makes it great...

kinda disadvantages the guy who plays last on saturday night... especially if the day is long - and - their own match is long... but makes for US Open folklore... like this one the, '92:

R16 Richard Krajicek (NED)
6-4 6-7(6) 6-3 3-6 6-4

QF Ivan Lendl (USA)
6-3 6-3 3-6 5-7 7-6(3)

SF Michael Chang (USA) (SUPER SATURDAY)
6-7(3) 7-5 7-6(3) 5-7 6-4

F Pete Sampras (USA)
3-6 6-4 7-6(5) 6-2

super saturday should have crushed edberg, cos all those matches previous were grinders... esp the lendl one...

JennyS
09-05-2008, 03:16 AM
If the weather is really going to be as bad as they think, why not play the semis tomorrow night instead of Saturday?!

TheBoiledEgg
09-05-2008, 03:22 AM
and if Saturday is a washout........

will CBS insist on no tennis before 4-30pm :rolleyes: :tape:

so whats that gonna make
2 mens semis and womens final starting at 4-30pm :help:
and who's gonna show final then :lol:

JennyS
09-05-2008, 03:28 AM
If they do play the men's final on Monday, please let it be when I'm not at work!! I was a wedding during the Wimbledon final (I was NOT a happy camper!) and do not want to miss two finals in a row!!!!!!!

Action Jackson
09-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Stupid Saturday is a joke for the players.

They would have to play the final on a Monday, but they will do everything they can for that not to happen.

JennyS
09-05-2008, 04:15 AM
Stupid Saturday is a joke for the players.

They would have to play the final on a Monday, but they will do everything they can for that not to happen.

I just found out I'm scheduled until 6:45 on Monday (eastern time). Fingers crossed that the men's final isn't held in the afternoon. Otherwise, I'm gonna try to switch with someone!!!!

yellowboy906
09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
will cbs cover the match if the final is on monday? anyone know?

iriraz
09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Obviously the Federer-Djokovic semifinal can`t be played today because of obvious reasons but the Nadal-Murray match could have been played today because they had a restday.
If it is a washout saturday,the only logic is they play sunday both semis and monday at noon 12-13 or 2pm they can start with the final.
I would like to know though if the weather permits only 3-4 hours of play saturday if they could put one semi on Ashe and the other on Armstrong at the same time.It would suck for the viewer but what can u do.

Bilbo
09-05-2008, 08:58 AM
it's almost a certain parts of saturday and sunday will be a washout as tropical storm hanna is heading up the east coast. they've already discussed it on the official us open site.

aussie_fan
09-05-2008, 10:41 AM
I like Super Saturday as far as the us open goes, one of the uniqueness of the us open. means i have to pull an all nighter to watch it but i still like it.

iriraz
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I like Super Saturday as far as the us open goes, one of the uniqueness of the us open. means i have to pull an all nighter to watch it but i still like it.
The problem is if the conditions aren`t good to play during the day it`s very unlikely they will start with the first semifinal in the middle of the night.

aussie_fan
09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
The problem is if the conditions aren`t good to play during the day it`s very unlikely they will start with the first semifinal in the middle of the night.

No, I meant watching Super Saturday on tv here in australia. Means you have to stay up all night.

Bilbo
09-05-2008, 11:50 AM
strong winds have been forecasted for sunday when hanna arrived

not looking good for the weekend. looks like we might see a monday.

ys
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
As the current forecast is that there will be no play after 3pm on Saturday because of rain. But with 12pm start that leaves just enough time for someone to win the first semis and avoid having to play back-to-back semis and finals, which - in current situation - would be a 75% guarantee of the title. Organizers really face a tough call..

SheepleBuster
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Why not have both men's matches play simultaneously on two courts? I am glad we don't have Venus around to complain or she would argue for Women's match to go ahead as planned. Now there are talks that they may put the final of women's on Sunday which would be great.

HNCS
09-05-2008, 01:32 PM
^^that's a good and simple solution. let's hope that the organisers can figure it out.

Bilbo
09-05-2008, 01:33 PM
so far not many people have realized the situation we will have over the weekend. i can hear all the crying already though.

thrust
09-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Why not have both men's matches play simultaneously on two courts? I am glad we don't have Venus around to complain or she would argue for Women's match to go ahead as planned. Now there are talks that they may put the final of women's on Sunday which would be great.

That makes too much sense-LOL!! Hopefully, they will take your advice, though I doubt it.

castle007
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I read that the U.S Open organizers will announce today the plan for tomorrow. I also read that one of the plans is to cancel all play on saturday, have the women's final on sunday along with the men's SF matches, and the men's final will be on monday.

ys
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM

They will have to do that, but that's complicated, as they'll have to cancel one session and sell new tickets.. That's one thing the organizers will absolutely hate.

ys
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I see, just curious, who is that moderator-cretin who merged the threads as they have nothing in common.. :rolls:

As my grandmother says, when a cat has nothing to do, it scratches its testes..

MacTheKnife
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I for one hope they don't play them simultaneously for purely selfish reasons. I really want to see both these matches in full. I would much rather see them just scratch Sat all together, and go on Sunday, with final on Monday.

Andi-M
09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I read that the U.S Open organizers will announce today the plan for tomorrow. I also read that one of the plans is to cancel all play on saturday, have the women's final on sunday along with the men's SF matches, and the men's final will be on monday.

I'd rather they do this as it stands. Too unfair otherwise if one match finishes and the other one dosent ect, plus both semis are soo exciting. I'd be gutted If i couldnt see them both!! Plus everone who brought tickets for Super Saturday will be able to watch Super Sunday so its fair I guess.

But the final on a Monday is just not good. Loads of people will not be able to watch it. Seeing as they've known since Wednesday that Saturdays weather was going to be crap they could have easy made other arrangements.

tennisace
09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
They will have to do that, but that's complicated, as they'll have to cancel one session and sell new tickets.. That's one thing the organizers will absolutely hate.

No they wont. They said they will honor the canceled sessions tickets whenever the sessions are played.

ys
09-05-2008, 03:45 PM
No they wont. They said they will honor the canceled sessions tickets whenever the sessions are played.

The truth is, a significant number of people-ticketholders will not be able to attend on Sunday, just like a significant number of people will not be able to attend the men's finals on Monday. They will NOT just "honour" the tickets, it's simply impossible to combine honouring the tickets and reselling the tickets of those who can't attend. They will do what they've done once few years ago. The session is officially canceled. New tickets are printed and go on sale. Canceled session ticketholders will have a chance to exchange tickets for a canceled session for new tickets .. while supplies last. As the new tickets will be equally available for new buyers too.. Overall, lotsa mess..

tennisace
09-05-2008, 03:49 PM
The truth is, a significant number of people-ticketholders will not be able to attend on Sunday, just like a significant number of people will not be able to attend the men's finals on Monday. They will NOT just "honour" the tickets, it's simply impossible to combine honouring the tickets and reselling the tickets of those who can't attend. They will do what they've done once few years ago. The session is officially canceled. New tickets are printed and go on sale. Canceled session ticketholders will have a chance to exchange tickets for a canceled session for new tickets .. while supplies last. As the new tickets will be equally available for new buyers too.. Overall, lotsa mess..

From the USO website:

"In the event that inclement weather causes the USTA to reschedule Day Session #24 (Men’s Singles Semifinals), Night Session #25 (Women’s Singles Final) and/or Day Session #26 (Men’s Singles Final), tickets for each session will provide access to the same session at its rescheduled date and time.

The USTA has several contingency plans in place depending on the time and duration of the inclement weather. Those plans will be implemented and communicated as the forecast develops throughout the day on Friday.

For official updates, please stay tuned to USOpen.org."

JennyS
09-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Great idea!!! If the rain isn't going to get to NY until the afternoon, then I say play BOTH men's semifinals starting at 9 or 10AM. They can always show one of the matches on tape delay.

So why not Rafa/Andy on Armstrong and Roger/Nole on Ashe?

tennisace
09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it is going to rain all day on Saturday and Saturday night.

Local forecast from CBS NY

Saturday

Rain with a chance of thunderstorms. Rain may be heavy at times. Windy and humid with highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph...becoming east 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Saturday Night

Rain with a chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then rain likely with a chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Rain may be heavy at times in the evening. Windy with lows in the mid 60s. East winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph...becoming north 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80 percen

JennyS
09-05-2008, 05:34 PM
I think it is going to rain all day on Saturday and Saturday night.

Local forecast from CBS NY

Saturday

Rain with a chance of thunderstorms. Rain may be heavy at times. Windy and humid with highs in the upper 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph...becoming east 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Saturday Night

Rain with a chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then rain likely with a chance of thunderstorms after midnight. Rain may be heavy at times in the evening. Windy with lows in the mid 60s. East winds 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph...becoming north 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 80 percen

Sounds lovely!

I wish they would just play TONIGHT!

Bilbo
09-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Severe Weather Alerts for New York

BIGMARAT
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
I think, the solution that they can do is to play the two mens semis simultaneously at Ashe and Armstrong. I think there would be some moment of no rain on Saturday that they can play it. They dont need to be greedy on ratings and incomes.

Foxy
09-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I think, the solution that they can do is to play the two mens semis simultaneously at Ashe and Armstrong. I think there would be some moment of no rain on Saturday that they can play it. They dont need to be greedy on ratings and incomes.

That would cancel the advantage of playing first for Rafa and Murray. No thanks. It won't be fair compared to previous years and other slams.

ghostbear
09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
That would cancel the advantage of playing first for Rafa and Murray. No thanks. It won't be fair compared to previous years and other slams.

Actually, Fed's match is scheduled to go first at 11 AM.

l_mac
09-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Disgusting decision. Rafa and Andy haven't played since Wednesday.

Merton
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM

Has the schedule come out? I don't see in on the US Open site. :confused:

Disgusting decision. Rafa and Andy haven't played since Wednesday.

The schedule has nothing to do with that, only with CBS expectations about maximizing expected number of viewers, and therefore profits.

l_mac
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
The schedule has nothing to do with that, only with CBS expectations about maximizing expected number of viewers, and therefore profits.

That's why I said it was a disgusting decision :shrug: American TV >>>>>>>>>>>>> the players.

ghostbear
09-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Saw it on CBS during Serena's match.

shawshank
09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
If it is right that Fed will play first tomorrow it completaly not fair. Everybody knows that in all tournaments organizers put this more interestnig match (with better names) later and if they put Roger first tommorow, it will be only because they want to help him! I hope there won't be such a situation that Roger will finish on Saturday and Rafa won't begin on that day. It would be really unfair!

Smasher
09-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Everybody knows that in all tournaments organizers put this more interestnig match (with better names) later and if they put Roger first tommorow, it will be only because they want to help him!
Top4 players left in the tournament, so it's pretty hard to say which match is more interesting and involves "better names"

finishingmove
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
i heard nadal - murray will also be played at 11:00 , but on louis armstrong

shawshank
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Top4 players left in the tournament, so it's pretty hard to say which match is more interesting and involves "better names"

That's true, but still Fed-Nole contains two names from "Big Trio" and in this match it is more difficult to say who is a favourite.

ChinoRios4Ever
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Hope for rain on sunday. I will go to the football stadium to see Chile-Brazil. :devil:

spriwi
09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
i heard nadal - murray will also be played at 11:00 , but on louis armstrong

heard where?

that would be a wise decision :)

finishingmove
09-05-2008, 10:34 PM
thats what the commentator on eurosport said a moment ago during the women's semi

Sunset of Age
09-05-2008, 10:48 PM
heard where?

that would be a wise decision :)

I didn't hear that, but it would indeed be a wise - and fair - decision. Hope that's what's indeed going to happen, though I doubt so, as that will mean a lot of trouble with the broadcasting rights of both matches...

nobama
09-05-2008, 10:54 PM

The schedule has nothing to do with that, only with CBS expectations about maximizing expected number of viewers, and therefore profits.So is the early match considered 'prime time'? :confused:

l_mac
09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
So is the early match considered 'prime time'? :confused:

It's the one most likely to be completed. They might be on and off a lot for delays. :shrug:

I'm sure you'd rather Roger was playing 2nd.

l_mac
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
thats what the commentator on eurosport said a moment ago during the women's semi

But on the US broadcast they said it would be Fed then Nadal on Ashe.

Playing both at the same time wouild be great.

ovw
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I didn't hear that, but it would indeed be a wise - and fair - decision. Hope that's what's indeed going to happen, though I doubt so, as that will mean a lot of trouble with the broadcasting rights of both matches...
It might be wise, but not necessarily fair . . . to folks like me, who paid to see two men's semifinals. Two great matchups, and I'll be real disappointed if I can only attend one. But I can understand the reasoning if that's their decision.

As for broadcasting, they can always show one match tape-delayed. Most TV viewers wouldn't know the difference.

Merton
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM
So is the early match considered 'prime time'? :confused:

I am sure this is a global calculation, so they expect more US revenues from the women's final match but then it is important that all the men semifinalists are European, so my guess is that the order of play would depend on the demand for prime time coverage in Europe.

nobama
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
It's the one most likely to be completed. They might be on and off a lot for delays. :shrug:

I'm sure you'd rather Roger was playing 2nd.
TBH I don't really care. Apparently the wind is supposed to be worse earlier in the day. Anyway I'll bet there's no play tomorrow at all. :lol:

BIGMARAT
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
I knew it would fair to play them simultaneously coz they wouldn't know if they can even finish 1 match on saturday let alone 2 semis matches.

Lee
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
It's official that the Nadal/Murray match may be moved to Armstrong if the first match is too long. Schedule is out on uso official site.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/schedule19.html

nobama
09-05-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2008-09-05/200809041220555093218.html

Inclement Weather Advisory: Saturday Start Time at 11 a.m. ET

Friday, September 5, 2008

As of Friday, Sept. 5, at 5:30 p.m. ET

The current weather forecast for the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center calls for rain to begin late tonight, which will subside in the early morning until late afternoon. Rain is then expected throughout Saturday night. Due to this forecast, the USTA is advising the following:

SATURDAY -- REVISED START TIME OF 11:00 AM ET FOR MEN’S SINGLES SEMIFINALS

Historically, match play for the first Men’s Semifinal begins at 12:00 Noon in Arthur Ashe Stadium. However, due to impending inclement weather on Saturday, Sept. 6, the Men’s Singles Semifinals will begin promptly at 11:00 a.m., weather permitting.

SCENARIO I:

IF SATURDAY DAY AND NIGHT SESSIONS ARE BOTH RAINED OUT

In the event that the USTA is forced to cancel the Men’s Singles Semifinals (Session #24) and the Women’s Singles Final (Session #25) due to inclement weather on Saturday, Sept. 6, each session would be rescheduled for Sunday at 1:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m., respectively. As a result, the Men’s Singles Final (Session #26) would be rescheduled for Monday at 4:00 p.m. Tickets for each of these sessions would be valid for the same session at its rescheduled date and time.

Specifically,

Men’s Singles Semifinals tickets will be valid for the Men’s Singles Semifinals at its rescheduled date and time of Sunday at 1:00pm;
Women’s Singles Final tickets will be valid for the Women’s Singles Final at its rescheduled date and time of Sunday at 9:00pm;
Men’s Singles Final tickets will be valid for the Men’s Singles Final at its rescheduled date and time of Monday at 4:00pm.
The following schedule will apply if both Saturday sessions are rained out:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2e0oknc.jpg

* CBS live coverage to begin at conclusion of 1:00pm NFL coverage.

SCENARIO II:

IF SATURDAY DAY SESSION COMPLETED AND SATURDAY NIGHT SESSION RAINED OUT

In the event that the USTA is forced to cancel the Saturday Night Women’s Singles Final (Session #25) due to inclement weather, both the Women’s and Men’s Singles Finals would be played on Sunday as two separate sessions -- one at 4:00 p.m. and one at 9:00 p.m. Tickets for the Women’s Singles Final would be valid for its rescheduled time; and tickets for the Men’s Singles Final would be valid for its rescheduled time. The decision regarding which Final will be played at 4:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. will be decided upon based on the time of completion of the Saturday Men’s Semifinals. If the Men’s Semifinals are not completed on Saturday, Scenario I will take effect.

http://i35.tinypic.com/1zd1ac8.jpg

* CBS live coverage to begin at conclusion of 1:00pm NFL coverage.

Sunset of Age
09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
It might be wise, but not necessarily fair . . . to folks like me, who paid to see two men's semifinals. Two great matchups, and I'll be real disappointed if I can only attend one. But I can understand the reasoning if that's their decision.

Yes... that's indeed a pity. :hug:

As for broadcasting, they can always show one match tape-delayed. Most TV viewers wouldn't know the difference.

Well... I guess you're right about this... :lol:

TBH I don't really care. Apparently the wind is supposed to be worse earlier in the day. Anyway I'll bet there's no play tomorrow at all. :lol:

Yep. The two that have the 'luck' (:silly:) to have to play first will have to deal with that terrible wind - prepare for a UE-fest.

Andi-M
09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Ok, so what are they trying to achieve by this. At what point will they decide that 1st match is too long and 2nd match needs to be moved??

Also Nadal and Murray have had ALOT of rest they should be scheduled 1st.

Either way with the 2nd match starting at least 1.5 hours after the 1st there is a greater chance it wont be completed.

To keep it fair they should both start at 11 am on simulutaneous courts. Or postpone Super Saturday and we can have a Super Sunday instead.

nobama
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Yep. The two that have the 'luck' (:silly:) to have to play first will have to deal with that terrible wind - prepare for a UE-fest.
According to weather.com the rain chance is greater in the morning than the afternoon and basically the womans final on Sat night will be a total wash-out. I'll bet no tennis is played on Saturday at all. :(

http://i35.tinypic.com/qwy1r6.jpg

nobama
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Ok, so what are they trying to achieve by this. At what point will they decide that 1st match is too long and 2nd match needs to be moved??

Also Nadal and Murray have had ALOT of rest they should be scheduled 1st.

Either way with the 2nd match starting at least 1.5 hours after the 1st there is a greater chance it wont be completed.

To keep it fair they should both start at 11 am on simulutaneous courts. Or postpone Super Saturday and we can have a Super Sunday instead.
I'm sure they're trying to avoid having a Monday final as much as possible. But the weather forecast I saw showed the rain chance greater in the morning than afternoon, picking up again late afternoon.

MisterQ
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Even if it stops raining, I would imagine that wind could be a real factor.

I'm hoping the eye of the storm parks over Flushing Meadows for roughly 7 hours. :dance:

Andi-M
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I'm sure they're trying to avoid having a Monday final as much as possible. But the weather forecast I saw showed the rain chance greater in the morning than afternoon, picking up again late afternoon.

This was my point in the original post they should try to avoid a Monday final.
They've known about this since what Wednesday? hence they could have scheduled in the mens semis tonight.

Its not fair that Federer-Djokovic have an advantage over Nadal and Murray.
Cos on rainy days where only a limited amount of play is possible 1.5-2 hours is the world of difference.

Sunset of Age
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
According to weather.com the rain chance is greater in the morning than the afternoon and basically the womans final on Sat night will be a total wash-out. I'll bet no tennis is played on Saturday at all. :(

Could well be... still I dread the wind more than the rain.

nobama
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
They've known about this since what Wednesday? hence they could have scheduled in the mens semis tonight.

Cos on rainy days where only a limited amount of play is possible 1.5-2 hours is the world of difference.
Well it certainly wouldn't be fair for Fed/Djerk (especially Djerk) to have to play their SF tonight when they just played yesterday. But, considering the predicted weather conditions nothing is really fair. Anyway if there is a window of play tomorrow both SF's should be played at the same time.

Boarder35m
09-05-2008, 11:53 PM

I guess the organisers put on this schedule just to have a schedule, but probably matches won´t start at that time anyway.
I understand this schedule in a way that they start as soon as the weather gets better (hopefully at nooon) and that they will start both matches parallel.

RogerFan82
09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Last year when fed was No:1, he played his QF with roddick on wednesday. Yet he played 2nd on saturday, in the semis. I guess the No:1 always plays 2nd on saturday at USO.

tennisace
09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
By the time they get the courts dry plus all the seats it'll start raining again - if there is even a break to begin with. I just heard that the rain from Gustav is suppose to join up with Hanna tomorrow right over NY.

Lucinda
09-06-2008, 01:23 AM
I wouldn't mind (as a TV viewer) if they played both matches at the same time tomorrow on different courts... As long as CBS plays the matches on TV back-to-back (so one would be tape-delayed) and didn't give any match updates during the live session. I can stay away from my computer for that amount of time :D

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 10:07 AM
a fusion of gustav and hanna :eek:

monday here we come

A_Skywalker
09-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Both matches should be played at the same time. There is no other way. it can end like that one match would be finished and the other no.

avocadoe
09-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Both matches should be played at the same time. There is no other way. it can end like that one match would be finished and the other no.

Well the offical schedule says Rafa vs Murray MAY be moved to Armstrong...maybe they are coming to their senses...

michellej
09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
the official site doesn't want to say too much up to date news about the weather in case everyone decides to stay home and they actually do play. None of those guys would be happy playing to empty seats...except maybe Djokovic.

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 01:22 PM
the official site doesn't want to say too much up to date news about the weather in case everyone decides to stay home and they actually do play. None of those guys would be happy playing to empty seats...except maybe Djokovic.

how about looking at radar images? only mugs would go to usopen.org and wait for weather updates.

nobama
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
So Nadal & Murray haven't played since Wednesday but if matches are postponed until Sunday they will be the 2nd SF? :scratch: And if the men get their SF matches completed today but the women's final is rained out for sure they should play their final first on Sunday. Not sure why that's still a question mark.

Storm threatens 'Super Saturday'
Bruce Jenkins, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, September 6, 2008

(09-06) 04:00 PDT New York - -- It seems almost cruel that after 12 days of glorious summer weather, the U.S. Open's cherished "Super Saturday" could be battered by rain and high winds, if not postponed altogether. That's the unsettling forecast for today, raising the distinct possibility of a Monday finish and Sunday conflicts with the NFL.

Tropical Storm Hanna is headed toward the northeast, and the women's semifinalists got some advance notice Friday in the form of swirling, annoying winds. The question today is whether the rain will be a presence all day or hold off until the late afternoon, as some forecasts have indicated. The storm won't be around long - Sunday and Monday are expected to be clear and warm - but it has already caused havoc in the offices of tournament organizers.

Assuming play can even begin today, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic will take the Arthur Ashe Stadium court at 11 a.m. Eastern time for the first men's semifinal. Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray would be next, and not necessarily on the biggest stage. The USTA left open the possibility of a noon start for that match in Louis Armstrong Stadium, the tournament's primary venue until Ashe Stadium was unveiled in 1997.

That's an unsettling prospect for CBS television, which would be forced to alternate coverage between matches, and for the sport in general. These are the four best players in the world; the semifinals have produced dream matches on both sides of the draw. But the completion of those two matches would allow the tournament to finish on schedule Sunday. The women's final, meanwhile, is set for 7 p.m. tonight.

Things get trickier if today's program is washed out. Federer and Djokovic would play at 1 p.m. EDT on Sunday, and since that conflicts directly with CBS's NFL coverage, the match would be televised on ESPN2. "Super Sunday" would then revert to CBS, with Nadal and Murray at roughly 4 p.m. EDT and the women's final at 9.

A Monday men's final, which would represent the first of its kind at the U.S. Open since 1987 (Ivan Lendl defeated Mats Wilander for the title), would begin at 5 p.m. EDT on CBS, scheduled to avoid a conflict with Monday Night Football.

If only the women's final gets wiped out tonight, the tournament would produce a finals doubleheader Sunday, all of it on CBS, with a 4 p.m. EDT start. As of Friday, it had not been determined which match would be first.

Foxy
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
The should have scheduled Nadal - Murray yesterday. Half of their problems would have been solved.

Bilbo
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
The should have scheduled Nadal - Murray yesterday. Half of their problems would have been solved.

agreed

ghostbear
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
It has started raining. Fed gets a break.

nobama
09-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Why the hell they didn't schedule both matches at the same time is beyond comprehension. :retard: No way Fed/Djerk would finish in time for Nadal/Murray to complete their match before the rain. Players finishing their matches is more important than TV rights. :rolleyes:

Benny_Maths
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
This thread reminds me of how someone referred to the scheme of having back-to-back mens semis and finals as 'Stupid Saturday.':D

sawan66278
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Again, the USTA is made up of:

Imbeciles, dolts, cretins, greedy money-grubbers, and rich fat cats without an idea about what makes a premiere sporting event.

I'm sure they were too stupid to look at, oh say www.weather.com, and realize that rain was almost a certainty...with a little problem like a tropical storm headed in NY's direction:rolleyes:

They should have played the first semi last night, and now...there is the distinct possibility that that they will not complete today's second semi...and Rafa or Andy will have to play tomorrow...either twice (not beyond the realm of possibility with these clowns) or on Monday anyway.

WHY start the a second match on Louis Armstrong...knowing that there was it was likely that it would not be completed?:mad::mad::mad:

I will add this to the U.S. Open hate list...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Why the hell they didn't schedule both matches at the same time is beyond comprehension. :retard: No way Fed/Djerk would finish in time for Nadal/Murray to complete their match before the rain. Players finishing their matches is more important than TV rights. :rolleyes:

Yes, an idiot decision. If they put the matches on different courts anyway, why not let both matches begin at the same time????
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-07-2008, 01:01 AM
thank god, final on monday

if the final is tomorrow i wont be avaibable to watch it :p