Del Potro vs Cilic vs Querrey [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro vs Cilic vs Querrey

vibin
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Compare these three please:) Who will have the more successful pro-career?? See them winning grand-slams??

These three have similar playing styles, similar height, penetrating ground strokes and yet they don't venture into the forecourt and don't use their height and reach to their advantage:mad::mad: Del Potro'serve is atrocious to say the least:mad:

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 10:52 AM
We have about 10 different threads on these youngsters in one form or another.

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
is this a serious question? definately del potro. i don't know many players who are able to win a set against him. can't say the same about querres and cilic.

del potro >>>>>>>>>>>>>> cilic >>>>>> querrey

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
del Potro's serve is atrocious. MTF never fails to deliver the comedy.

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
del Potro's serve is atrocious. MTF never fails to deliver the comedy.

:haha:

some people don't see his serve can be a real weapon. del potro has nearly no weakness in his game and is very steady.

Halba
09-04-2008, 11:36 AM
del potro is a younger, right handed version of nadal(flatter hitter, but physically hits heavy balls, and grinds you down, this is the essence of successful modern tennis at the moment).

i expect del potro once he physically gets stronger, he'll be #4 on clay behind novak and federer

he only JUST got pipped by #4 andy murray, and thats through two tie-breakers and losing the fourth 7-5. And despite not being 100% physically, he still was the more powerful player in this match.

kid is an absolute beast. top 7-8 for sure.

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
kid is an absolute beast. top 7-8 for sure.

top 5 as of now behind nadal, federer, nole and murray

Jaap
09-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Del Potro is in a league above anyone from his generation(Gulbis, Cilic, Querrey etc).

Steelq
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Del Potro and Cilic will be regular top 10 players for sure,but i cant see either of them as a slam winner or even a big contender in the future.

Burrow
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Del Potro and Cilic will be regular top 10 players for sure,but i cant see either of them as a slam winner or even a big contender in the future.

So in 5 years time you can't see them being contenders for slams? Well, who will be contenders for slams in 5 years?

guille&tati4life
09-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Compare these three please:) Who will have the more successful pro-career?? See them winning grand-slams??

These three have similar playing styles, similar height, penetrating ground strokes and yet they don't venture into the forecourt and don't use their height and reach to their advantage:mad::mad: Del Potro'serve is atrocious to say the least:mad:

You are lost my friend.

DP's serve wasn't good last night because he was injured, kicking off his leg just wasn't working but generally he has a good serve. There's a very good chance that Del Potro can be a big player.
Cilic has a lot of potential, no doubt about that.
Querrey? Querrey's not in the same league imo. Furthermore he's older than the other two guys. It's almost like a thread asking who is better, Nadal, Djokovic or Berdych.

I'd expect Del Potro and Cilic to at least compete at the top of the game, probably be top 10 players, Querrey, not for me.

dweijnen
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Simone Bolelli is a lot better youngster.

Deathless Mortal
09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Del Potro is definitely the best, and Cilic is also a lot better than Querrey.

Steelq
09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
So in 5 years time you can't see them being contenders for slams? Well, who will be contenders for slams in 5 years?

Djokovic,Murray and some young and atm unknown players.Not every promising player can be a slam winner and big champion.Since Federer only Nadal and Djokovic accomplished that.

Fumus
09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Cilic ftw! Psyche...he's just a Mario Ancic clone. Choker for lifeeee...

Del Potro is all smash groundies but can't move forward or serve/return for shit.

Querrey doesn't belong in the conversation with these two. Cilic has the biggest upside he has the most complete game but he's gonna have to work on that second serve. I think for Querrey the results may come easier because he has the biggest shots out of all these guys...which will bring him more consistent results. He doesn't belong in the conversation because he's not nearly as talented as these two...

But only time will tell.

yellowboy906
09-04-2008, 03:56 PM
del potro is better than cilic right now but i think cilic is more talented. cilic move, serve, return better(if you don't agree with me, watch his match against djokovic, his returns are just nasty). the only thing del potro is better at are his groundstrokes so i think cilic will be better.

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 03:58 PM
the only thing del potro is better at are his groundstrokes so i think cilic will be better.

which is most important in tennis

Vida
09-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I would put Del Potro over Cilic any time, but seeing the Croatian against Novak (which was one of his best matches, as he said) I will give him slight edge right now. Of course, we are yet to see whats between the ears of these guys, and how their bodies will react in due course to various challenges (Del Potro I know was injured and made a break, while Cila has some knee issues apparently. Not sure what kind, but he was wearing some protection at USO). So who will go further is very difficult to say.

But, what impressed me about Cila is not only how he moved and served, but how effortlessly and cleanly he blasted at the ball when confronted with Novaks 'changing of the ball direction'. He is tall and agile enough to put himself in a position to strike at the ball early and on the rise, and produce incredible power, but its still not a pushed shot, but more a product of his mechanics (especially off his forehand). Being tall and having long and heavy bones in the arms really helps there. There is more comfort in his forehand while swinging and the ball gets a healthy doze of topspin, pace and depth (not the case with Del Potro, who seems to go for broke more often). Also he seems to hit a cleaner shot from defensive end, and with less sliding to reach the wide ball, while Del Potro seems to go a bit awkward when left with less space.

On defensive end on hardcourt, Cilic reminds me of Monfils, while on attacking end he resembles Novak but with a tad more power. Backhand is also huge and reliable, though he can't go as effortlessly and cleanly down the line as Novak can for the winner (he did win that first set just like that though, but it was a very risky shot which went in).

SheepleBuster
09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Obviously this is a stupid thread because I think you can't compare two teenagers with a 21 year old late bloomer. But Querrey seems to be the least talented of the three. In fact, I would put Nishikori ahead of him too. Del Potro and Cilic could be a great rivalry. I think both of them are extremely talented, and Del Potro showed me enough against Murray to indicate that he and Cilic will be in the top 10 soon. The only thing I question about Del Potro is his fitness. I know Cilic likes to work very hard, but I am not too sure about the Argentine (Nalbandian had huge talent too but he hates training it seems). I think the order for me would be Cilic, Gulbis, Del Potro, Nishikori, ..., Querrey.

yellowboy906
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
which is most important in tennis

no, the most important thing in tennis is movement. if you can't get to the ball, it won't matter how good your groundstrokes are. from what i saw, cilic movement is way ahead of del potro. i think cilic also have better mental strenght which is very important in tennis. cause in his match against djoker, the commentator were saying cilic never gets down on himself and how that remind them of djokovic a year ago.

Blue Heart24
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Cilic ftw!Psyche...he's just a Mario Ancic clone. Choker for lifeeee...

Del Potro is all smash groundies but can't move forward or serve/return for shit.

Querrey doesn't belong in the conversation with these two. Cilic has the biggest upside he has the most complete game but he's gonna have to work on that second serve. I think for Querrey the results may come easier because he has the biggest shots out of all these guys...which will bring him more consistent results. He doesn't belong in the conversation because he's not nearly as talented as these two...

But only time will tell.

:smash::smash::smash:

Albop
09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
top 5 as of now behind nadal, federer, nole and murray

Bandwangoner alert.

peterparker
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Imo cilic will do the best out of the three. But long term berdych is a good model for all of them (gulbis as well) and I don't think any of them will be top 5 consistently.

DJ Soup
09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Del Potro has a lot to improve but I have the feeling he is going to be able to fix his weaknesses. The fact he had such a winning streak will give him confidence edge to fix some flaws I believe

vincayou
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
is this a serious question? definately del potro. i don't know many players who are able to win a set against him. can't say the same about querres and cilic.

del potro >>>>>>>>>>>>>> cilic >>>>>> querrey

I second that. Del Potro >>>>>> the other two.

Deivid23
09-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Cilic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Del Potro

Hope that helps

Merton
09-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Too early to tell, though I believe Cilic. :shrug:

tennismaster882001
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
It's hard to tell, right now definitely Del Potro, he is much stronger phisicaly then Cilic and Querrey!

the graduate
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM
they are all ugly mugs,Cilic eew,querry is very ugly like most Americans,del petro looks like his breath is funky

tennisfan28
09-06-2008, 10:34 PM
cilic is the only real deal here, the rest are just pretenders...

finishingmove
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
querrey is like a class below

Argenbrit
09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Del Potro > Cilic >>>>> Querrey

~*BGT*~
09-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Cilic >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Del Potro

Hope that helps

True. Wish we could throw Evgeny is the mix. He's the oldest out of the entire bunch but is busy barely making the top 100 and losing in the semis of challengers. :sobbing: Get it together Zhenya. :sad:

BATES
09-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Del Potro is the only one who has actually accomplished something winning 4 titles and becoming top 15 in world rank and top 10 in champions race as a teenager.

EnriqueIG8
09-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Del Potro , Querrey , Cilic =]

Hendu
09-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Del Potro is the only one who has actually accomplished something winning 4 titles and becoming top 15 in world rank and top 10 in champions race as a teenager.

That means nothing. Players develop at different ages.

jcempire
09-07-2008, 06:57 AM
We have about 10 different threads on these youngsters in one form or another.

People love young telants

jcempire
09-07-2008, 06:57 AM
That means nothing. Players develop at different ages.

You very right