USO SF: Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray; Who Advances? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO SF: Rafael Nadal vs Andy Murray; Who Advances?

Laba
09-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Semi Final of the top half, and Murray has never beaten Nadal before. Who wins here though? :)

I think I'm going with Rafa in 4.

freeandlonely
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Go Muscleray.

Flibbertigibbet
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Nadal in 3, two tight sets, one easy one.

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Easy cash, once again.

jenanun
09-04-2008, 07:34 AM
nadal in 3... or 4

Mechlan
09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Nadal, probably in 4.

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Don't care :D

:woohoo:

If only this was the final. A real shame for the sport that the two best players of the summer hardcourt season (best 3 if you count JMDP) are in the same half :awww:

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 07:40 AM
murray has a good shot if he plays as vs wawrinka

If not nadal in 3 sets

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 07:43 AM
I voted Murray in 4 :sad:

ToniTennis
09-04-2008, 08:30 AM

If only this was the final. A real shame for the sport that the two best players of the summer hardcourt season (best 3 if you count JMDP) are in the same half :awww:

Why shame? :shrug:it's just the draw, as always has been...

Vamos Rafa 01
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
IMHO, Murray is a better hardcourt player than Rafa, and it's quite a surprise for me he wasn't able to beat him at least once in their previous matches on hard. Murray will have to be aggressive, witch will force him to use all his talent. Crosscourt backhand is gonna be deadly to the Nadal's forehand. Many breaks of serve in this one.

Murray in 5.

Knightmace
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Don't think Murray will win i 5 but maybe in 4 is he plays sfor his life otherwise Nadal in 3.

Tabledott
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Rafzilla in three, as easy as a pie, smth like 6:4 7:5 6:4

Horatio Caine
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
These are the types of playing conditions that give Muzza his best chance, but I'm still not convinced he is quite there yet, and he can't afford to go chucking away leads (as he did against JMDP in 1st and 3rd sets) against this guy. I just hope he has learned a lot from their Wimbledon match, and if he plays like he did against him at AO 2007, he has a fighting chance. But I'm not holding my breath. :sad:

nkhera1
09-04-2008, 09:38 AM
The thing with Nadal is that I don't know if he is even playing very well right now. He has kinda reached a level where when even when not on his best he can still progress deep into tournaments but he is quite capable of losing to a player who comes out firing like a Tsonga in the beginning of the year though I would say Nadal is more improved since then. Nadal will have a hard time attacking Murray's backhand as I believe it is his better shot and can do much more damage to Nadal on a hardcourt. Once Nadal realized this in Canada he started attacking Murray's forehand which worked much better and held is own quite well in backhand to forehand exchanges with murrary. Murray is going to have to serve really well and play much better than he did today. Fortunately, both players get an extra day of rest so fatigue should not be too much of an issue for either player. If Murray comes out firing and playing a great match he has a chance to pull of the upset but if Nadal raises his level for this match he should be able to progress through

scoobs
09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Heart says Murray in 5.

Head says Nadal in 4.

Head wins.

Herdwick
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh this is a hard one to call. Right now, Rafa at his very best should beat against anyone on any surface but his last 2 matches clearly show he is a bit below par. Hardly surprising after his wonderful summer but Andy will be itching to break his duck against Rafa and this could give him his chance. Coming in he was my quiet pick to win the whole thing but he was not entirely convincing last night.

I honestly do not mind who wins out of these 2 - will be happy to see either in the final. But am leaning towards Rafa due to the experience and that awesome mental strength.

Mansave_75
09-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Nadal, in 3, or at least in 4. :)

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I didn't see Nadal's quarter-final, so I'm not sure what kind of shape he's in. I think fitness could be a big factor in this match, as I don't think there'll be much between them.

One thing's for sure, Murray HAS to be aggressive against Nadal, he can't beat him any other way. If Nadal starts running Murray side to side like at Wimbledon, this will be another rapid straight sets victory for the Spaniard.

If Murray's aggressive from the start, and is nailing that backhand down the line I think he has a great chance. First set is important though, I think if Nadal gets it he definitely wins in 3 or 4.

bokehlicious
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Mug match for sure... Mugza will as usual bend over to "his greatest ever" :hearts:

:rolleyes: :zzz: :zzz:

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Mug match for sure... Mugza will as usual bend over to "his greatest ever" :hearts:

:rolleyes: :zzz: :zzz:

I'm sure he'll be keen to put these rumours to bed like he did with Djokovic (not literally!).

spriwi
09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
rafa in 4 :rocker2:

Veronique
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

Murray in Rafa's half is a much better draw for Rafa. No matter how hot Murray has been this summer, Djokovic, a GS winner this year and a finalist here last year, would have been a tougher draw for Rafa.

Veronique
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Murray will need to over power Rafa in order to have a chance and I don't see how he does that. If he scrambles with Rafa from the back court, the latter will come on top just like he has always done. I hope Rafa remembers to stay the hell away from Andy's backhand.

Andi-M
09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
My heart, head, limbs ears etc are all in agreement here. I think we'll see Muzza put on the best performance of his life.

Murray in...4

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Nadal.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Murray will need to over power Rafa in order to have a chance and I don't see how he does that. If he scrambles with Rafa from the back court, the latter will come on top just like he has always done. I hope Rafa remembers to stay the hell away from Andy's backhand.

Exactly. In theory, Nadal's bread and butter shot, the crosscourt forehand should sit right in the hitting zone for Murray's best shot, the backhand down the line. He needs to be nailing this to have any chance, but like you say, I'm sure Nadal will be changing up his tactics to hit many more balls to the Murray forehand which is his more tentative wing.

Such an interesting match-up this one if both play well, hope Murray can show some cojones this time.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Also, it will be interesting to see whether Murray adopts the powderpuff serve strategy again to conserve energy - Nadal's not likely to be hitting many winners off the return so he might get away with it.

green25814
09-04-2008, 11:40 AM
The problem is nadal (freakishly) only seems to have one playing level. There are no dips, it is constant the whole match. Therefore murray isnt allowed his own dips in form throughout the match.

It depends entirely on which murray turns up. Aggressive murray is capable of beating him, defensive murray- never.

Murray in 4 as he will dip for at least one set.

Black Adam
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Nadal should win though Murray has improved a lot and might grab a set.

Halba
09-04-2008, 12:47 PM
dont think murray will pull it off. he can go up one level, but rafa will match him, and go up to a higher level.

nadal in straights this time, he is not going to be caught napping 1st set like against fish.

in past few meetings nadal has not lost a set(wimbledon,toronto not one single set lost). nadal is a bad match up for murray as most of the time murray's balls are junk and feed into rafa's forehand.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Nadal in 4 probably. He's just too consistent. Murray will obviously be aggressive, but Nadal just doesn't make enough mistakes to help Murray's side of the scoreboard.

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
R. Nadal in 4

Jaap
09-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Nadal in 5 long sets.

malisha
09-04-2008, 01:12 PM
A Murray in 5

vamosnadal
09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think we've seen Rafa anywhere near his best in this tournament yet and I can only see him improving now we are at the crucial stage. However, I get the feeling we may find Murray's game peaked in the Wawrinka match.

Murray has impressed during the tournament, but I think this match may well be too tough for him. Nadal to win in 3 or 4 sets.

yeh yeh
09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Well put it this way, murray was very close in 2007 oz open and he is much fitter now, although rafa is a better player on hard courts since then i just feel that with his new fitness, coupled with the fact that he always plays aggresive against rafa he will have a big chance. you see people like blake berdych arent great players but they beat rafa because of ball bashing. murray cant really do that but a mix of this and craft can do it for him provided he puts rafa away early.

wouldnt that be amasing though to see a five setter with both going at it now that murray is the second fittest on the tour................

tennizen
09-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I think this will be Murray's first win against Rafa.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Well put it this way, murray was very close in 2007 oz open and he is much fitter now, although rafa is a better player on hard courts since then i just feel that with his new fitness, coupled with the fact that he always plays aggresive against rafa he will have a big chance. you see people like blake berdych arent great players but they beat rafa because of ball bashing. murray cant really do that but a mix of this and craft can do it for him provided he puts rafa away early.

wouldnt that be amasing though to see a five setter with both going at it now that murray is the second fittest on the tour................

Pretty amazing that Murray went from being physically suspect to one of the fittest players on tour. Wouldn't have predicted that after his match with Nalbandian at Wimbledon 2005.

yeh yeh
09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Pretty amazing that Murray went from being physically suspect to one of the fittest players on tour. Wouldn't have predicted that after his match with Nalbandian at Wimbledon 2005.

its true though as he seems like the second fittest i would say

nadal
murray
ferrer
federer............... not really sure who else comes to mind not tsonga or djokovic though oh yeh

tatiana golovin i would giver her one she is well fit..........

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM

nadal
murray
ferrer
federer............... not really sure who else comes to mind not tsonga or djokovic though oh yeh

I agree. Just amazing that he's raised his level of fitness so much. He doesn't look remotely bothered by 5 setters, while his opponents looks absolutely shattered.

Jaap
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM

nadal
murray
ferrer

Robredo, Hrbaty, Davydenko, Nieminen, Schuettler, Lapentti?

yeh yeh
09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
hrbaty leave it out, louis saha is more fitter than that numpty

RagingLamb
09-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Rafa in 4 or 5

NADAL15SLAMS
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Nadal hasn't dropped a set to Murray in their last 4 meetings. This time Nadal will be even more ruthless because people have been saying that Nadal can't win on fast hardcourts (despite being 34-7 on hardcourts this year and winning on a very fast Olympic court). This will completely destroy the doubters to see him win the US Open. Nadal in straight sets over Murray.

Pfloyd
09-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Prob Nadal in 4. Long match for sure.

vucina
09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Murray needs opponents who make a lot of mistakes. Rafito in 3, maybe 4.

LinkMage
09-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Nadull in 4. Mugrray will bend over for his idol once again as he has done every time they faced on hard courts.

:yawn: :zzz:

Daniel
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Murray will beat that pig

finishingmove
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
nadal something like 7-5 6-2 6-3

HarryMan
09-04-2008, 03:36 PM
This should be a really good match with some great baseline rallies. Nadal is such a baseline beast that it will be really difficult for Murray to win anything more than one set to be honest.

Most probably it will be Nadal in 4 sets.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Just had a look at the serving stats from Murray's quarter-final:

1st serve percentage: 57%
Fastest serve: 129mph
Average 1st serve: 106mph
Average 2nd serve: 80mph

It's a bizarre tactic to be rolling the serve in on fast hard courts, when we've seen him comfortably serving at 130mph+ before. I can only think it must be a strategy discussed with his coach beforehand to conserve energy over a long match and so many exhausting rallies, also the low speeds and percentage are a little deceptive as he was adopting the wide serve so much to the deuce court, taking off a lot of pace to get the tired Del Potro out of court.

I hope he goes for bigger serves against Nadal and look to finish the points off quickly with the one-two punch. I don't think the slow, patient approach is going to cut the mustard against Nadal, but we'll see.

Fumus
09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Nadal in 4 sets. Murray will win the first or the second set, it will be really tight with only a few breaks and maybe a tie-breaker. I think the 3rd and 4th sets will see Murray fade and Nadal pull away because Murray will break psychically as he always does against Nadal. Really truly, Murray could win this one but he would have to play a way that I've never seen him play before. He'll have to serve a really high percentage, shorten rallies by coming to net or stepping in the court to finish with a winning ground stroke. However, I think Murray will once again try to slice and dice, loop and junk ball, in a futile attempt to out rally the best baseliner in the world.

Good luck to both. It should be good tennis for a little while.

Warrior
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Nadal in 3. He's playing much better than Murray.

ImmzB
09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Nadal In 3

If It Goes 2 5 Sets There Will Only Be One Winner & Thats Rafael NADAL

rofe
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Nadal will be in his first USO final and I anticipate that Murray will fight for a set and a half.

Nathaliia
09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I was going to say that this time Murray.... buuuut reality will very likely show otherwise.

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Go on Andy... you can do this

in 4

LleytonMonfils
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Nadal in 3. He's playing much better than Murray.

Really? Guess we haven't been watching the same US Open.

Jimnik
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Muzza in four.

I still believe in the dream final. :rocker2:

Deshna
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Wanna Muzza in final but guess Rafa to take this

Vida
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
rafa in 5

Clydey
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Nadal in 4 sets. Murray will win the first or the second set, it will be really tight with only a few breaks and maybe a tie-breaker. I think the 3rd and 4th sets will see Murray fade and Nadal pull away because Murray will break psychically as he always does against Nadal. Really truly, Murray could win this one but he would have to play a way that I've never seen him play before. He'll have to serve a really high percentage, shorten rallies by coming to net or stepping in the court to finish with a winning ground stroke. However, I think Murray will once again try to slice and dice, loop and junk ball, in a futile attempt to out rally the best baseliner in the world.

Good luck to both. It should be good tennis for a little while.

When does Murray ever do that against Nadal? He never tries to be too clever. He always goes all out attack. Think he's the only player Murray does that with. Have you seen a Murray-Nadal hardcourt match?

10nisfan
09-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I guess I should say: "Never in Doubt... RAFA Will be LUCKY Again" :lol: and should get past MurrScott...:unsure:

tangerine_dream
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Hopefully the guy who has real muscles to flex wins. Good luck, Rafa. :bigclap:

biological
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Rafa in 4.

tennisfan28
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
i have a bad feeling that the scottish retard will take this in 4 or 5 sets, i just feel he has a better game on hardcourts then rafa, murray will mix it up and hit deadly backhands all day which will really have rafa scrambling and hence rafa will hit short top spin shots. Murray will kill rafa's short topspins and look for ugly mug murray to attack rafa's serve as IMHO murray's return of serve is tied with joker for BEST RETURNER IN THE WORLD....please rafa prove me wrong and gundown and lay the smackdown on this mug murray in 3....

DhammaTiger
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Rafa in 5 if at all. Murray has the edge.

oz_boz
09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Rafa in 3

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 11:30 PM
murray in four... fish took a set with only one shot working :eek:...

nanoman
09-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Nadal.
Murray will make Nadal look good. That's all this defensive Junkballer will offer to the Moonball King.

BIGMARAT
09-04-2008, 11:56 PM
I'll go with Murray.

finishingmove
09-05-2008, 12:04 AM
i have a bad feeling that the scottish retard will take this in 4 or 5 sets, i just feel he has a better game on hardcourts then rafa, murray will mix it up and hit deadly backhands all day which will really have rafa scrambling and hence rafa will hit short top spin shots. Murray will kill rafa's short topspins and look for ugly mug murray to attack rafa's serve as IMHO murray's return of serve is tied with joker for BEST RETURNER IN THE WORLD....please rafa prove me wrong and gundown and lay the smackdown on this mug murray in 3....

i cant believe u have <10 posts on MTF :worship:

fast learner :lol:

Naranoc
09-05-2008, 12:06 AM
i cant believe u have <10 posts on MTF :worship:

fast learner :lol:

Joined only four days ago too :cool:

General Suburbia
09-05-2008, 12:13 AM
The problem when Murray faces Nadal is that he goes for too much. It's one thing to be aggressive, but Murray turns into a reckless beast, trying to hit winners from the back of the court, smacking everything, etc. It might work for a set or two, but the errors will inevitably get to him. Hopefully Murray will come into this match with a slightly better plan.

Nadal in 4, but I wouldn't be surprised if Murray somehow takes this.

tennisfan28
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Joined only four days ago too :cool:

not sure if that was meant as a compliment or an insult....

vincayou
09-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Heart says Murray
Head says Nadal

General Suburbia
09-05-2008, 12:35 AM
not sure if that was meant as a compliment or an insult....
And that's when you can REALLY tell he joined only 4 days ago.

selyoink
09-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Murray should cruise but he will let his idol win as he always does. He will take a set before bending over though.

The_Nadal_effect
09-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Nadal in 4, but I wouldn't be surprised if Murray somehow takes this.

Murray in 4. Nadal's not in Rafzilla mode. He was lucky to scrape past Querry, but Murray's playing his best ever.

coolness
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Murray in four. :)

MIMIC
09-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I want to say that Murray will win but if he only pushes the ball back (which he does too much), he's gonna get killed.

Albatros99
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM
Easy choice

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44796000/jpg/_44796107_murray_bicep220.jpg

:haha:

http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/notes_on_tour/a_j_chabria/its_summer_2005/NadalBiceps.jpg

:yeah:

save ausdecline
09-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Funny how Murray shows off his biceps at the end of a gruelling match. Nadal in 4.

tennisfan28
09-05-2008, 09:29 PM
murray is too skilled on hardcourts to have not made a grand slam final on hardcourts. This could be his chance, it will all depend SOLELY ON THE FIRST SET imho. I hope rafa rapes him but in all honesty, they both have a 50/50 chance in this match

Merton
09-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Nadal. This is the best surface for Andy to get Rafa in a slam and I have no doubts he will do it eventually, but I don't think he is ready yet. I will be very glad to be proven wrong though.

mashamaniac
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Obviously rafa will have a better chance and will pretty surely win in straight sets...

lurker
09-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Murray was devastating against Wawrinka. I didn't see the Del Potro match. Nadal was unconvincing against Querrey (and Murray could play a similar game but not wilt mentally). I can easily see a Murray victory here in four, maybe five sets. Nadal has not been playing well here. If the conditions are heavy and slow, and he is able to stay close to Murray, his mental toughness could help him win in a very tight match. It helped him pull away from Fish. But Murray would be favored here, based on form and surface. He was so close the last time they played.

wilmar
09-06-2008, 04:22 AM
many have expressed Murray being the better HC player...and their AO match was a tough affair. Still, Nadal has much improved as a HAC player this year.
I think the level of fatigue on both parties will weigh in. Nadal has had a long season and Murray has had some long matches here.
But given the head-to-head and Nadal's brimming confidence, I'd go with Nadal in this match. My heart says in 3...but my head says in 4.

Fedex
09-06-2008, 04:57 AM
I am very tempted to pick Nadal in three, but Murray has been playing very well in this event and all summer long actually. I'll grant him a set, but it'll still be a pretty routine win for Nadal.

NadalSharapova
09-06-2008, 09:30 AM
nadal in 3

BlueSwan
09-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I think the most realistic option is Nadal in 3 with Nadal in 4 a close second. IF Murray wins, which I don't think he will, he might very well do it in 3 sets. If you look at Nadals past losses, he almost only loses when he's completely blown off the court in straigths. Murray winning in 5 must be the least likely option of them all.

HeretiC
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I think it is going to be a very tough battle. I just hope it is going to be a quality one too. It is the best chance for Andy and he knows it and he will give everything he has to win. But the mental strength leans toward Rafa, so I voted Nadal in 5.

Aenea
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I think it is going to be a very tough battle. I just hope it is going to be a quality one too. It is the best chance for Andy and he knows it and he will give everything he has to win. But the mental strength leans toward Rafa, so I voted Nadal in 5.

Wow having to play Nadal at a time when Rafa seems to be at his peak was Murray's best chance? :rolleyes: Really?
Though Rafa isn't playing brilliantly so far at USO I wouldn't count this encounter as my best chance of winning if I were Murray. I wouldn't want an opponent who had beaten me every time we've played before.

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 02:53 PM
So I have been following Murray closely lately. A lot of you know that I am a fan of Novak but I like Murray too. But I am disturbed by the pattern that Eurosport folks pick Murray to upset Nadal. Now other UK media sources are at it again:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2008/09/06/andy-murray-tipped-for-us-open-success-115875-20725953/

I have no doubt that Murray has the talent to someday upset Nadal but is it today or for that matter this year? I live in the US so I am not exposed to all the hype for Murray but maybe our UK friends can provide more insight into this. Do you guys actually believe Murray is the favorite against Nadal? Was he the favorite to win the Australian Open in your mind? (people like Simon at EuroSport picked him to win it).

Damn
09-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Nadal

Clydey
09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
So I have been following Murray closely lately. A lot of you know that I am a fan of Novak but I like Murray too. But I am disturbed by the pattern that Eurosport folks pick Murray to upset Nadal. Now other UK media sources are at it again:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2008/09/06/andy-murray-tipped-for-us-open-success-115875-20725953/

I have no doubt that Murray has the talent to someday upset Nadal but is it today or for that matter this year? I live in the US so I am not exposed to all the hype for Murray but maybe our UK friends can provide more insight into this. Do you guys actually believe Murray is the favorite against Nadal? Was he the favorite to win the Australian Open in your mind? (people like Simon at EuroSport picked him to win it).

No, we don't think Murray is the favourite. I have no idea why the media are suddenly picking Murray to beat Nadal, given that he is a big underdog here. That is one of the reasons people grow to hate Murray. The media attention he gets and the hype that surrounds him turns people off, even though he has no control over it. He tends to get blamed for the medias' exaggerations.

Jaap
09-06-2008, 03:00 PM
His match is only covered by a small article in most papers in the Uk today. No hype here - most concentrating on the football.

Bernard Black
09-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Why do other people's opinions disturb you so much? He's the first Brit to reach a grand slam semi-final in years so of course there is going to be excitement. I think any knowledgable tennis fan knows he's an outside shot at the title since he's playing the world number one and has had much less success than everyone else left in the draw.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is really, because so far as I can see, no one has reacted in a way you wouldn't expect. Journalists want you to read their columns, with the headline "Murray expected to be crushed in U.S. Open semi", it's less likely to drum up any interest.

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Why do other people's opinions disturb you so much? He's the first Brit to reach a grand slam semi-final in years so of course there is going to be excitement. I think any knowledgable tennis fan knows he's an outside shot at the title since he's playing the world number one and has had much less success than everyone else left in the draw.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is really, because so far as I can see, no one has reacted in a way you wouldn't expect. Journalists want you to read their columns, with the headline "Murray expected to be crushed in U.S. Open semi", it's less likely to drum up any interest.

The point of the thread is not to bash Murray really. I am just curious living in the U.S. whether your guys in Europe actually consider Murray as like the favorite to win the U.S. Open. I mean he can, and if he wins against Rafa, he probably will, but I just don't know how you can discount Rafa's superior level of play and record against Murray and say he has a good shot. He hasn't shown this year that he can beat Rafa. I have no doubt that he will defeat Rafa sooner than later but in a best of 5 sets match with Rafa this close to the title? I am not so sure. So I wanted to know whether it is just Lloyed and Simon who are saying these things...

Herdwick
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
No way is Andy the favourite to beat Rafa. I give him a chance if Rafa plays like he did against Querrey but don't see him doing so in a GS SF.

To put it in context, most media sources here ignore tennis for 80% of the year and just pop up at slams when they raid last year's cliche box and then hype Tim/Andy. Some of the broadsheets accord it a little more depth - Harman in the Telegraph is usually OK - but if you're looking for knowledgable, objective analysis don't bother with the Mirror.

I'm a Scot and I like and admire Murray but the TV and papers here come close on occasion to turning me off him big time.

decrepitude
09-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't believe anything you read about tennis in the Mirror anyway. Their interest in the game is restricted to Wimbledon fortnight, when they go overboard with coverage by journalists who usually report on soccer or rugby and display their ignorance and make endless mistakes.

I know because I have the misfortune to have a husband who quite likes that rag. I pick it up to look for tennis and usually can't find any at all.

I'm a huge Murray fan, but of course he isn't a favourite. He has a chance of course. Rafa might have an off-day (unlikely). The fatigue of the last few months might catch up with him (not looking as likely as it did at the start of the tournament). Otherwise, I am not sure he is ready to beat Rafa yet, although I do think he will do it some time.

Edit - actually, to be fair, they are not saying he will win, just that John Lloyd says he has a "great chance". As usual, the headline is an attention-grabber and is not backed up by the detail of the article.

Bernard Black
09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The point of the thread is not to bash Murray really. I am just curious living in the U.S. whether your guys in Europe actually consider Murray as like the favorite to win the U.S. Open. I mean he can, and if he wins against Rafa, he probably will, but I just don't know how you can discount Rafa's superior level of play and record against Murray and say he has a good shot. He hasn't shown this year that he can beat Rafa. I have no doubt that he will defeat Rafa sooner than later but in a best of 5 sets match with Rafa this close to the title? I am not so sure. So I wanted to know whether it is just Lloyed and Simon who are saying these things...

With the world number 1, 4-time defending champion and current Australian Open champion still left in the draw, only an idiot would be labelling Murray as favourite at this point, quite frankly.

There was definitely more hype around the Wimbledon quarter-final in my opinion, which in hindsight, probably wasn't deserved.

vamosnadal
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Our media certainly doesn't speak for us,they are laughably exaggerated and fickle. We have a tabloid culture whereby papers such as the Mirror build up Murray to excessive levels and then delight in knocking him down again when he fails to live up to it. I think most people think he has a good chance to push Nadal in the match as he has been playing good tennis, but not many consider him a favourite or are expecting him to win. Just as we all rolled our eyes when the papers talked up his chances against Rafa at Wimbledon, you find yourself shaking your head when you read some of the media before this match and listen to the British commentators on Sky and Eurosport who whip themselves into a Murray will win the US Open frenzy. Take the british media with a huge pinch of salt!

Guga_fan
09-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I've got nothing to do with UK and I think Murray is the favorite. The TOP3 are playing badly, and Murray is playing his best tennis.

decrepitude
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I've got nothing to do with UK and I think Murray is the favorite. The TOP3 are playing badly, and Murray is playing his best tennis.
I would love you to be right!

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
OK. Because with all the things I heard in the U.S. before the Australian Open on how Murray should at least reach the final, and that was before Murray showed up he can win big tournaments, I thought maybe that was the common belief. I think Andy will get there. He is young and like mentally stronger than most players his age. I guess we do the same thing about American players here but tennis is not that big in the U.S. It's football, basketball, baseball, poker, hockey, and then maybe tennis.

A_Skywalker
09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow having to play Nadal at a time when Rafa seems to be at his peak was Murray's best chance? :rolleyes: Really?
Though Rafa isn't playing brilliantly so far at USO I wouldn't count this encounter as my best chance of winning if I were Murray. I wouldn't want an opponent who had beaten me every time we've played before.

He means, because Murray is in the semis :wavey:

Aenea
09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
He means, because Murray is in the semis :wavey:

So is Nadal.

l_mac
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM
To put it in context, most media sources here ignore tennis for 80% of the year and just pop up at slams when they raid last year's cliche box and then hype Tim/Andy. Some of the broadsheets accord it a little more depth - Harman in the Telegraph is usually OK - but if you're looking for knowledgable, objective analysis don't bother with the Mirror.
Neil Harman writes for The Times, and is widely regarded as one of the world's best tennis journalists. I always enjoy him.

Murray made the front pages of the Scottish tabs last week :o But then they ruined it inside by running US TENNIS MASTERS US TENNIS MASTERS along the top of the page with the match report :o :o :o

I'm a Scot and I like and admire Murray but the TV and papers here come close on occasion to turning me off him big time.

I think I'm more of a fan than you, but I agree the hype and ridiculous over-praise is hard to stomach. It is easier to ignore the papers because they only concentrate on tennis 2 weeks of the year (and this year Queens, or more accurately Rafa, got a lot of coverage) but I find the Sky team unbearable.

yeh yeh
09-06-2008, 04:03 PM
What You Have To Understand Is That This Country Dun Care About Tennis, He Reached The Semis And In The Sun His Newspaper There Was A Tiny Colum Down The Right Hand Side Maybe 6 Pages Into The Sport Pages.

This Is What I Hate People In This Country Only Watch Wimbeldon And Thats It.................. So If He Got To The Us Open Final People Still Wouldnt Watch , They Think There Is One Tennis Tournament All Year Well Two Queens And Wimbeldon

l_mac
09-06-2008, 04:04 PM
What You Have To Understand Is That This Country Dun Care About Tennis, He Reached The Semis And In The Sun His Newspaper There Was A Tiny Colum Down The Right Hand Side Maybe 6 Pages Into The Sport Pages.

This Is What I Hate People In This Country Only Watch Wimbeldon And Thats It.................. So If He Got To The Us Open Final People Still Wouldnt Watch , They Think There Is One Tennis Tournament All Year Well Two Queens And Wimbeldon

Thank God MTF chose to get rid of your caps.

Lugburz
09-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Murray in 4

RafaTheBest
09-06-2008, 04:50 PM
LOL, Muzza is still having nightmares from the ass-beating King Rafa gave him at Wimbledon. Murray will die a slow, painful death from an extra large serving of SPARTAN TENNIS!

safinalium
09-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Rafa in 3 or 4.

dorkgirl
09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
The silly, silly hyping up of British players is why i loathed Tim Henman for so long. They would show a reply of his matches when live tennis was on, talk up his chances when any sensible tennis fan knew he wasn't going to win. I only came to appreciate him nearer the end of his career, when they kind of gave up.

They do the same to Murray, to an extent. Any proper tennis fan in the UK pretty much would roll their eyes at the way SKY's commentators lap at him. Yeah, he could be a great player, a slam winner, but even on day 1 of the event, they were all "This is Murray's time!!"

I just try and remember it's not Murray's fault these guys are idiots, and as surly as he is, he probably wouldn't think too much of it either.

Lullaby
09-06-2008, 05:05 PM
starting on armstrong in 20 mins

chris whiteside
09-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Shift of court and early start a disaster for Andy.

sphiie
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I hope Rafael will win...

joăo.
09-06-2008, 06:15 PM
C'mon, Rafa! :o

SheepleBuster
09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I guess judging by what's happening, Lloyd isn't far off! Wow

sphiie
09-06-2008, 06:18 PM
C'mon, Rafa! :o

:hug:

l_mac
09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
LOL, Muzza is still having nightmares from the ass-beating King Rafa gave him at Wimbledon. Murray will die a slow, painful death from an extra large serving of SPARTAN TENNIS!

:D

Lugburz
09-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Murray in 4

;)

Clydey
09-08-2008, 02:03 AM
This Murray is a mug pusher. Just waited for Nadal to make errors.