Nadal def. Fish 36 61 64 62 to make his first USO semi [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal def. Fish 36 61 64 62 to make his first USO semi

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Hope I'm first. Can't bear any Fish puns.

HeretiC
First SF at US OPEN for Nadal. Good play at patches from Fish, but just not good enough overall.

BackhandMissile
Nadal to face Murray in the SF's

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM
:rocker2:

Much better performabce from Rafa today. Fish was on fire during the 1st set, and converted the only break point he had all match - that was enough.

I am now guaranteed a player I like in the final! :woohoo:

LocoPorElTenis
Never in doubt, Nadal has now reached SF of all slams.

SwiSha
this was probably the worst i ve seen someone approach the net and volley, also how do u expect tb Nadal with under 50 % 1st serves

easy shiet for the No 1

rafa_maniac
Rafa, you gave us a scare for a minute there :mad:

Anyway, :woohoo: First US Open semifinal! All four GS semis in one year is a mighty achievement. Now rest up and do your best against Murray champ :worship:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-04-2008, 07:15 AM
SF or better in all slams :hatoff:

Nadal vs Murray will be a big one :D

Pescado good run :yeah:

GinaPL
09-04-2008, 07:16 AM
cheers to this one classless screamer :/

BackhandMissile
First set was weak for Nadal, especially the backhand. He had a bit of trouble returning the second serves (a lot of the first serves were aces). Good serving by Fish but he had a disaster with his forehand and his volleys in the next sets.

Laba
A stronger showing from Rafa tonight against Fish, congrats on your first USO SF!

Nadal/Murray will be one to look forward too. :)

Lucinda
09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
What happened with that crazy fan in the fourth set? I was watching a spanish language feed so I couldn't understand anything being said :p

connectolove
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Super congrats to Nadal!!!

MrChopin
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
If the fish hadn't flopped so much during those volleys, he wouldn't have been caught in the net.

wilmar
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
had me worried for the 1st set...but as usual Rafa prevailed!

Vamos! 2 more wins to your Nadal Slam!

nkhera1
09-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Fish just missed too many shots to put up a fight. His serve was on fire in the first, but it slowed down considerably after that. He returned back to his prior ways though you can credit Nadal for some of that.

Does anyone know why Nadal's serve seems to have lost some speed? J-Mac mentioned that and it is about 8-10 MPH slower on average than Wimbledon. I don't think that will get it done against Murray or in the finals. Fish was able to hammer back some returns.

Scotso
09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Rafa :rocker2:

Kingofchaos86
09-04-2008, 07:23 AM
nice win for nadal, now beat this clown Murray, that many people here think he's part of the "big 4", please.......win a slam first.

raven gypsy
:woohoo:

Well, well, well..
Congrats to Rafa for making to the USO Semis for the first time.

Now he's made it to the semis of all the Grand slams. :dance:

He was sweet in his post match interview, thanking all the fans for staying late to watch.

MUCH BETTER from him today than the errorfest against Querrey.

Congrats to Mardy for his best ever results here (and of course on the engagement too). :)

leng jai
I opened the stream midway through and the first thing I saw was this rivetting stat:

Nadull 7 unforced errors.
Fish 39 unforced errors.

GinaPL
09-04-2008, 07:24 AM
What happened with that crazy fan in the fourth set? I was watching a spanish language feed so I couldn't understand anything being said :p

Nadal had 2nd serve and when ball was already in the air some freak screamed MARDY really loud...

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
He was sweet in his post match interview, thanking all the fans for staying late to watch.

Didn't he complain they weren't supporting him? :awww:

:D
I opened the stream midway through and the first thing I saw was this rivetting stat:

Nadull 7 unforced errors.
Fish 39 unforced errors.

Nadal would be a much better player if he missed more. :bigcry: :bigcry: And maybe he wouldn't win as much :bigcry: :bigcry: IT'S NOT FAIR!

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Nadal had 2nd serve and when ball was already in the air some freak screamed MARDY really loud...

I heard that loud and clear and it made me wish there was an obigatory alcohol test before entering the stadium. Atrocious that crowd tonight. :o

Congrats Rafa, and kudos to Mardy for an excellent run at this tournament. :worship:

raven gypsy
09-04-2008, 07:27 AM

He yelled "MARDY" very loudly right as Rafa was serving. The cops came and ejected him. :mad:

EDIT: Gina beat me to it..

freeandlonely
09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Nadal would be a much better player if he missed more. :bigcry: :bigcry: And maybe he wouldn't win as much :bigcry: :bigcry: IT'S NOT FAIR!

That's good, but if only more winners would be better.
I don't like Nadal, but surely I hate a error machine like Fish.

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Raf has 7000 ranking points now :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lurker011
09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
can we really say that Nadal "won" this match. fish gave this match to Nadal. he played like total crap. i know one thing,Murray won't give Nadal any free points. i think Murray wins their semi.

Mechlan
09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Too many easy errors for Fish. Can't play at that level and expect to beat Nadal. Nadal played well but also had his share of sloppiness. Not the invincible Nadal of earlier this summer though still playing the best of the lot right now. Still, whoever brings it these final couple of matches will walk away with the title.

raven gypsy
09-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Raf has 7000 ranking points now :woohoo: :woohoo:

:worship:
UNBELIEVABLE, NO?

:rocker2:

Yowza, this Nadal is good. ;)
What a year he's having!

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
can we really say that Nadal "won" this match. fish gave this match to Nadal. he played like total crap. i know one thing,Murray won't give Nadal any free points. i think Murray wins their semi.

:lol: :yeah:

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
7000 :eek: He also must be getting very close to mathematically assuring the year end #1, no?

l_mac
09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
7000 :ek: He also must be getting very close to mathematically assuring the year end #1, no?

If he wins he's #1.

At the moment he just needs to repeat last year's results.

Castafiore
09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
How many matches with Nadal do some of you have to watch before you understand why his opponents often have a lot of unforced errors?

raven gypsy
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM
can we really say that Nadal "won" this match.

YES, we really can. :) That is the way the game is played.

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 07:36 AM

Actually, Nadal has never "won" a match, he has in fact been handed 42 of his last 43 matches :worship:

moon language
09-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Rafa came out really cold, and Fish was on fire. Then they switched temperatures and it pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the match.

I thought Nadal looked a lot better than he did in his match with Querrey once he remembered he was playing tennis.

Daniel
09-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Stupid Fish

madmax
09-04-2008, 07:43 AM
what is it that players other than Djokovic and Fed surrender in front of this moonballer even before the match starts? Is he really that intimidating on court, remember it's US Open, not a friggin red dirt like RG,that said players like Fish shouldn't handle the match to Nadal after taking first set and play like crap. The only guys who had balls to take it to him were qualifier Phau and Sam Querrey (with all due respect they are not world class by any stretch of imagination). I wanna see a fight on the court, not the lambs waiting to be slaughtered...

Björki
09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Rafa :yeah:

Flibbertigibbet
09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
This year and this tournament are his. Too good---it's not his fault if not everybody can sustain a level to beat him over five sets. The same things were said about Federer just a couple years ago, that people "gave up" and magically handed him the wins. Those cases are much fewer in number than MTF would like. Murray and whoever's waiting in the final both will be too inconsistent to beat Nadal over five.

sawan66278
09-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Excellent win by Rafa. Fish was serving bombs in the first, and blasting shots...and yet, Rafa kept his composure, held with authority at the beginning of the second, and picked apart Fish bit by bit.

Mardy had a nice run, but his fitness is still questionable...and he had an AWFUL game where he broke himself early in the fourth. Also, his first serve percentage was incredibly low...but remember: it was also very low in Indian Wells where he defeated Roger and almost took out Novak.

Much, much better performance by Rafa...his best so far this tourney. Some of his passes were incredible...and I love his chances against Murray. Especially with this being Murray's first slam semi, and, even with two days rest, an exhausting run for the Scot.

One final point: full credit to Mardy for giving Rafa a first serve after that punk yelled before Rafa's second serve.

Well, at least Mardy can take comfort in one thing: he goes home knowing that he really did win playing Deal or No Deal;)

EnriqueIG8
09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Well done Rafito. First set it was Indian Wells and US Open 2008 Fish, the rest of the match it was just normal 2008 Fish.

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 07:55 AM
This year and this tournament are his. Too good---it's not his fault if not everybody can sustain a level to beat him over five sets. The same things were said about Federer just a couple years ago, that people "gave up" and magically handed him the wins. Those cases are much fewer in number than MTF would like. Murray and whoever's waiting in the final both will be too inconsistent to beat Nadal over five.

Well said. And indeed, isn't it funny how the same adjectiva are bestowed now on Rafa as they were on Roger a year ago? These fellows aren't on winning streaks because of opponents handing over the matches to them, folks - it's because they are simply the best player at a given time. It applied to Roger in the close past, it applies to Rafa right now. Give credits where credits are due.

maskedmuffin
09-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Well said. And indeed, isn't it funny how the same adjectiva are bestowed now on Rafa as they were on Roger a year ago? These fellows aren't on winning streaks because of opponents handing over the matches to them, folks - it's because they are simply the best player at a given time. It applied to Roger in the close past, it applies to Rafa right now. Give credits where credits are due.

roger wasn't sitting back 20 feet behind the baseline consistently on fast courts watching players miss sitter should high volleys

and roger certainly never played a "safe" percentage game that nadull players..where he consistently, and almost always, has less winners and unforced errors (latter being almost 0 )than his opponent

to compare the styles of the two games, and how both are handling their opponents, and drawing a parallel between it..is absolutely laughable.

one guy is a timing based player who is agressive by nature from the baseline..the other is thomas muster version 3.0

even a basic fan of the game can see this.
:retard:

Albatros99
09-04-2008, 08:06 AM
How many matches with Nadal do some of you have to watch before you understand why his opponents often have a lot of unforced errors?

Many people on this forums commit a lot of unforced errors too...like Nadal rivals :devil:

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
One final point: full credit to Mardy for giving Rafa a first serve after that punk yelled before Rafa's second serve.

:yeah: Well noticed, great sportsmanship from Mardy! :worship:

That idiot... heavenschristalmighty. How completely :retard: must one be to understand that yelling at a player, whether it's your fav or not, NEVER does either of them any good - killing the players' concentration? I fail to understand such idiot behaviour... :mad:

Albatros99
09-04-2008, 08:11 AM
roger wasn't sitting back 20 feet behind the baseline consistently on fast courts watching players miss sitter should high volleys

and roger certainly never played a "safe" percentage game that nadull players..where he consistently, and almost always, has less winners and unforced errors (latter being almost 0 )than his opponent

to compare the styles of the two games, and how both are handling their opponents, and drawing a parallel between it..is absolutely laughable.

one guy is a timing based player who is agressive by nature from the baseline..the other is thomas muster version 3.0

Nobody is saying you thicko that their styles are comparable. What is comparable is their dominance even if one wins with ugly, spirited and athletic tennis and the other with ballerina like tennis.

Clara Bow
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I fail to understand such idiot behaviour...

:drink: could be the reason

Not the best match for Rafa or Mardy- but I was happy to see Rafa have better form than he has shown in his other matches (i.e. against Sam)

Snoo Foo
So.
Freakin.
http://bp0.blogger.com/_6dngziSFeMU/RjNQZL2LW_I/AAAAAAAAACQ/y57WTlAuxYU/s400/dog-costume.jpg
:yeah: Awesome :yeah:

bokehlicious
Rafa :hearts: :inlove: please marry me!

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 08:13 AM

:retard: right back at you, here.

You seem to fail to understand that the ultimate goal of the game of tennis is: WINNING THE POINTS. In whatever way you manage to do so is beyond the point. SO WHAT if Rafa wins his matches by all the 'bad' playing style he does - according to you, that is? He WINS. That's all that matters.

If his playing style is as bad as you say, then why does he manage to win? Think about it, if you are able to do so.

Clara Bow
09-04-2008, 08:14 AM

Well- it is legal in Spain is it not? ;)

Back to the match- Rafa again imo showed some nice hands at net. I do wish he would go up in the court more but his natural stance is back in the court.

Flibbertigibbet
09-04-2008, 08:20 AM

This is aesthetic subjectivity. I prefer Federer's game myself, from a style-based view (though I think he was at his high-flying, most aggressive self back in 2004). However, there are plenty of people who prefer Nadal's game -- and tennis doesn't really have sort of objective moral standard (just the wins/losses). And a Nadal sprint from behind the baseline to reach an impossible shot and the subsequent rifling of a backhand/forehand pass has aesthetic merit, too.

Also, people were saying "Agassi was old and past his peak, and Federer's struggling to beat him" back in those days, so excuses can be made about any player's victories at any time.

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
This is aesthetic subjectivity. I prefer Federer's game myself, from a style-based view (though I think he was at his high-flying, most aggressive self back in 2004). However, there are plenty of people who prefer Nadal's game -- and tennis doesn't really have sort of objective moral standard (just the wins/losses). And a Nadal sprint from behind the baseline to reach an impossible shot and the subsequent rifling of a backhand/forehand pass has aesthetic merit, too.

Exactly. I myself prefer Roger's fluent style of playing as well, but it's completely out-of-line to dismiss Rafa's game as not having its own unique merits just the same. The results tell all...

Also, people were saying "Agassi was old and past his peak, and Federer's struggling to beat him" back in those days, so excuses can be made about any player's victories at any time.

'Luck' is always a factor in one's wins, that goes for all players, for Rafa just as much as for Roger, and all the great players that came before them - and all that will follow in the future.

leng jai
09-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Exactly. I myself prefer Roger's fluent style of playing as well, but it's completely out-of-line to dismiss Rafa's game as not having its own unique merits just the same. The results tell all...

'Luck' is always a factor in one's wins, that goes for all players, for Rafa just as much as for Roger, and all the great players that came before them - and all that will follow in the future.

Untrue. Nadull has unusually high stats in the luck department.

Albatros99
09-04-2008, 08:36 AM

You have "high stats" in the jealousy department too.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I set my alarm to wake up and watch this - glad I switched it off now.

FairWeatherFan
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
For me Fish has more potential than Nadal on hardcourts. Big serve, (generally) good volleys and powerful, flat groundstrokes. I can't believe more talented players like Fish keep letting Nadal get the best of them on the hardcourts this year.

Nadal gets one of his favourite mugs Murray in the semis and I expect an easy stroll to the final.

nisha
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
congrats to rafa

moon language
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
For me Fish has more potential than Nadal on hardcourts. Big serve, (generally) good volleys and powerful, flat groundstrokes. I can't believe more talented players like Fish keep letting Nadal get the best of them on the hardcourts this year.

:haha::haha::haha:

I can't tell what's sarcasm and what isn't anymore in these Nadal result threads.

Andi-M
09-04-2008, 10:27 AM
congrats Rafa im soo happy 4 you xxxx
Although i want you to lose next match :p

pkubik
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Fish had the air only for one set? OMG this is PRO tennis, maybe he should practice harder? Unbelievable weakness by Fish after first set, ununderstable at all. He was worse than a kid at the net...

raven gypsy
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Get in line. ;)

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
expected one

DhammaTiger
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Rafa surprised me again. Rafa is the best. Vamos Rafa :yippee: :woohoo:

madmax
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, so eventually fish fried itself...tell me another PRO tennis player missing those easy volleys at the net with Nadal staying 20 behind baseline and hoping for opponent to miss...which he did actually. That just shows the pathetic state of PRO tennis nowadays - except for big 3, nobody else is consistent enough to play proper game...what can you say, mug era

Veronique
09-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Nadal gets one of his favourite mugs Murray in the semis and I expect an easy stroll to the final.

Having potentiel isn't enough. You still have to go on court and execute point in and point out. That's why Rafa has won 42 of his last 43 matches, beating the best players in the process.

moon language
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
what is it that players other than Djokovic and Fed surrender in front of this moonballer even before the match starts? Is he really that intimidating on court, remember it's US Open, not a friggin red dirt like RG,that said players like Fish shouldn't handle the match to Nadal after taking first set and play like crap. The only guys who had balls to take it to him were qualifier Phau and Sam Querrey (with all due respect they are not world class by any stretch of imagination). I wanna see a fight on the court, not the lambs waiting to be slaughtered...

Ok, so eventually fish fried itself...tell me another PRO tennis player missing those easy volleys at the net with Nadal staying 20 behind baseline and hoping for opponent to miss...which he did actually. That just shows the pathetic state of PRO tennis nowadays - except for big 3, nobody else is consistent enough to play proper game...what can you say, mug era

:lol::lol: You had to come back to the thread to moan a second time!

I think there are plenty of pro players who would miss those volleys. There aren't many players who can consistently volley well today. Fish did hit a number of nice volleys as well and he won over 50% of his net approaches.

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Any thread in any way related to Nadal on GM is an absolute riot to read I must say. :haha: :silly:

bokehlicious
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Any thread in any way related to Nadal on GM is an absolute riot to read I must say. :haha: :silly:

:awww: :hug: :hug: don't mind the haters :hug:

rafa_maniac
09-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Mind? It's better than television!

SheepleBuster
09-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Last night was really the first night that I was genuinely happy to see Nadal win match. In fact, I am so impressed with this kid, that I might dump Federer and start supporting this guy. Fish would've beaten Federer last night but Nadal found a way to crush him. Absolutely incredible.

Foxy
09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh gee, as if Rogerio the ultimate volley GOAT doesn't miss easy sitters at the net. Everybody misses. Volley is not that easy shot. Above shoulder volleys and volleys in your feet are way tougher than a volley net high. Have you ever, guys, tried to volley a sliced or heavily topspun shot?

gillian
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I'm really pleased for Rafa. I'm so rooting for him to take the title.

I want to see a great match between him and Murray.

Tom_Bombadil
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM

Simply put: false.

Thanks for that impressive observation. I've changed my mind. :D

sheeter
09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Only saw the first two sets but Nadal picked it up in the second and started returning a lot better.

jcempire
09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Bad play for fish since 1st set, He still up and down

Congrat to Nadal, He gets control in Ranking, If he does a title in NY. He maybe the best player even in a single year

jasmin
09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Nadal's the 'it' kid this season but it's not going to be the nadal slam...yet. Shouldn't he win AO first. Anyway...can never count on fish, blake or really any of the U.S. guys to make it the finals..maybe Roddick but of course I'm not a fan.

SheepleBuster
09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I am so glad that Fish lost. The whole thought of having Fish and Roddick in the same final was just driving me crazy. Now we know that will not happen. Now it's your turn Novak. The great tennis match in the history awaits you in the final.

HarryMan
09-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Well, what more can be said about Nadal now?

I mean, on his weakest surface he has reahed the semi final with ease. He is simply by far the best player this year.

10nisfan
09-04-2008, 03:37 PM
My Fav Piggy went to the Market and Got some Fish Fillet for Dinner... :haha:

... I was worried after RAFA Lost the First Set ... but I should continue to say: "Never in Doubt"... :bowdown:

garylanders
09-04-2008, 03:49 PM
a victory for tennis! Boy-Fish almost took it like a man this time =)

GlennMirnyi
09-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Fish you jerk. How could you miss so many easy shots to finish the points. :retard:

GlennMirnyi
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, what more can be said about Nadal now?

I mean, on his weakest surface he has reahed the semi final with ease. He is simply by far the best player this year.

With that draw... Odesnik would have done the same. :rolleyes:

a victory for tennis! Boy-Fish almost took it like a man this time =)

Victory for tennis? Get a clue, fanboy.

l_mac
09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Didn't know you were a Fish fan, GM.

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Another huge shock here

tennis 2008 rule 367 e .. player takes set from Nadal >>> player then shiets pants for the rest of the match

RafaTheBest
09-04-2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=7594893&postcount=81

Fish will win in a quick affair.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

FAIL!

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Excellent win for the #1 :yeah:

MIMIC
09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Fish smacked 80% if his volleys right into the net. I don't think he choked....he just progressively got worse.

tangerine_dream
09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
:lol: Everybody wants to be the anti-Gonzo.

Nathaliia
09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
uso winner so likely :rolleyes:

Forehander
09-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Fish's serves remain at like 40-50% which is totally ridiculous for a professional player.

MadHatter
09-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Well played Rafa!

finishingmove
09-05-2008, 03:06 AM
Fish's serves remain at like 40-50% which is totally ridiculous for a professional player.

i think he was serving in the 30s when he beat federer in indian wells :lol:

selyoink
09-05-2008, 03:24 AM
What mug draws this Nadull always gets. His luck is endless.

Deivid23
09-05-2008, 03:46 AM
uso winner so likely :rolleyes:

hater :rolleyes:

ghostbear
09-05-2008, 04:09 AM
What mug draws this Nadull always gets. His luck is endless.

Couldn't agree with you more. His pet Murray in the SF next, and then his favorite bitches Fed or Djoke. :o

krystlel
09-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Fish started well, although it never looked he would be able to keep it up and the way Fish plays, it is just far too easy to end up making too many mistakes, not to mention that Fish would be consistently targeting Fish's forehand. Even in the first set, he was getting tested on many of his own service games and he was mainly taking advantage of the early service break he got on Nadal's serve. As the match went on, Nadal started to read Fish's serve far better as you'd expect and was passing him at the net comfortably.