USO QF: Murray beats Del Potro 7-6(2) 7-6(1) 4-6 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO QF: Murray beats Del Potro 7-6(2) 7-6(1) 4-6 7-5

Pages : [1] 2

scarecrows
09-04-2008, 12:40 AM
shitty match in general, only 4th set was decent

holy shit. I beat LinkMage :eek:

LinkMage
4 sets
2 mugs
1 match

How many breaks did this match have? It was worse than a WTA match. :o :tape: :help:

Flibbertigibbet
Del Potro squandered that fourth set entirely.

EnriqueIG8
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Ah well Delpo's streak ends at 23 .. respect :worship:

Murray is Nadal ticket to the final now.

lalit
mug match of epic proportions

LocoPorElTenis
Despite the loss, a great experience for JMDP. This is going to become a classic very soon. Keep in mind Murray is over a year older, that makes a huge difference at this stage.

FedererGrandSlam
09-04-2008, 12:42 AM
All hail Andrew Murray!! Fittest player on tour!! :worship::worship:

adee-gee
Jesus that was tough work. Should've been over 2 hours sooner.

Well done Andy for getting it done, not much praise for the performance though.

Gutsy stuff from JMDP, he must've been shattered :clap2:

Surprisingly nice exchange at the end :eek:

SheepleBuster
I love it! Even though I don't like Andy too much, whatever it takes to keep Roddick from taking the title! Go Andy!

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Should have ended that earlier but fakers never prosper ;)

congrats andy

get 2 days rest andy and come back aggressive vs nadal

Caio_Brasil
You are awesome Juan :)

Very exciting match :eek: congrats Murray :yeah:

danton
Weird match - it felt like it only started to be a match towards the end of the 3rd. Perhaps it was more like a chess match at the begining

RagingLamb
awful match

cobalt60
shitty match in general, only 4th set was decent

holy shit. I beat LinkMage :eek:

Totally agree. I asked my family to watch the 3rd set with me; they always thought I was crazy to watch this game. I will never live this down;)

Caio_Brasil
09-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Should have ended that earlier but fakers never prosper ;)

congrats andy

get 2 days rest andy and come back aggressive vs nadal

Del Potro was faking what? :lol: he was tired as hell

Clydey
Not a great match overall. Good 4th set, but poor quality on the whole. Murray got the job done in the end. Funny how people change their tune so quickly. Murray doesn't play great while beating one of the hottest players on tour and suddenly he's Nadal's ticket to the final, even though he'll use completely different tactics.

Gotta respect such shitty logic.

Jaz
Unforced Errors galore...

I can't see Andy Murray winning the US Open.

scoobs

It wasn't great for 2 and a half sets but the quality and drama both rose dramatically.

Superb effort from Del Potro - I tip my hat to him - he threw everything he had there and at times it looked like a fifth set was looming.

Andy - well he nearly friggin blew that - he choked that third set and went down in the fourth and looked tired and overwhelmed by what winning would mean.

He regrouped well enough in the end, and Del Potro's legs gave out.

I am exhausted.

I think they made friends at the net there :hug:

rocketassist
Shitty match became incredible drama in the third and fourth.

GuiroNl
This match sums up the whole tournament. Long and crappy matches.

dam0dred
Pretty entertaining stuff. Fun to watch, even if it wasn't the best tennis ever. Was hoping for Del Pony but good to see Murray starting to realize his potential.

cobalt60

Why shouldn't they be cordial? Only MTF has a long memory.;)

Sunset of Age
Overall level of playing this match: :tape: :tape: :tape:

Congrats to Muzza for the victory. :hatoff: On Friday, he is TOAST.
Kudos to Del Potro for an awesome streak, a great run at the USO, and for keeping on fighting despite something obviously being wrong with his knee. Wish him a full recovery soon! :hug:

LucasArg
Well, congrats Juan!
Now rest, and come back thunderous for the indoor sesion!

neenah
09-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Muzza! :D

Clydey

Look at how he played in the 4th set. No way was he injured.

leng jai
Another one for the ages...

habibko
loved the nice long conversation they had at the net, that certainly melted some ice if not broke it completely :)

didn't watch the whole match so can't comment on that, good run for Del Potro, the question is can he repeat the feat? :rolleyes:

scarecrows
quality was soo low for a GS QF

more than 3 hours of my life lost

I should know better next time I even think to watch a Murray match

SheepleBuster
This match sums up the whole tournament. Long and crappy matches.

Well. When I claimed that this has been the worst US Open ever, people took exception. Long Crappy matches even from good players such as Murray, Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic. The worst player in the last 8, Roddick, has had the easiest matches. Wow!

Jaap
Hell of a fighter, this Del Potro.

He will be winning these matches with a bit more experience at this level.

Tyler_Durden
my nerves are fucking shredded,

terrible match from andy and in general but as long as andy got through, who gives a fuck

Neely
09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I liked the match, I already thought it was better than "crappy" in the first two sets.

Murray showed some nice combinations, retrieved well, and gave del Potro a look at many different shots of his arsenal :worship:

Murray didn't waste a challenge out there, and I had to laugh as he wanted the big screen turned off during the first set tiebreak.

Well fought for del Potro, but Murray just looked much better in the fitness department towards the end and I'm glad he could turn that into a win :)

sdtoot
Muzza you don't half put us through pain! Well done for your first GS SF.

Big respect to Del Potro - he was awesome in the 3rd & 4th sets and would probably have won if he hadn't suffered from fatigue.

Raquel
Well done son!! :woohoo: :worship:
Dramatic match and even better result :D So proud of Andy! Great to see him so fit these days and playing a tactically good match.

Hope you make the final Andy! :rocker2:

neme6
09-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't care how bad Murray played in this match, I just have to congratulate Del Potro for fighting all match long, he had problems just to walk between points at the end, what a fighter!

finishingmove
i wonder how my post got lost? :rolleyes:

boring match until 4-4 in the 3rd. too bad del potro gave up in the end

GuiroNl
Well. When I claimed that this has been the worst US Open ever, people took exception. Long Crappy matches even from good players such as Murray, Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic. The worst player in the last 8, Roddick, has had the easiest matches. Wow!

I don't really get your point but we do agree right?

Tom Paulman
Good job Andy :yeah: Good luck against Fish

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 12:48 AM
LinkImage in suicide watch after scarecrows´ beatdown

Lullaby
final set had some quality shots from both

In order to win a grandslam, andy needs to finish these matches quicker though when on top. Nerves seem to affect him bad when he is about to take a career step, i actually feel that if he wins one he may win multiple slams

TMJordan
Hamish :worship:

Andi-M
I need a bloody vodka i was going mad halfway through that 3rd set he completely freaked out!!

Im soo glad he showed some compusure in the 4th at the crucial times.

Tennis quality...sucky. I mean both played some gorgeous shots at times Murrays 2 hander is the sexiest shot in the game, but both of them made loads of consecutive errors in patches and played ugly.

Im soo relieved for Andy. GS semifinalist for the 1st time truly fantastic im really proud of my fave!

dijus
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Muzza is awful to watch :o

fast_clay
Not a great match overall. Good 4th set, but poor quality on the whole. Murray got the job done in the end. Funny how people change their tune so quickly. Murray doesn't play great while beating one of the hottest players on tour and suddenly he's Nadal's ticket to the final, even though he'll use completely different tactics.

Gotta respect such shitty logic.

the gospel... :yeah:

Caio_Brasil

What did he asked the trainer for? I started watching it on the 4th set. I guess it was his shoulder from what I've heard from the commentator.

Anyway, his movement wasn't the best at all. It's just that the way he playes makes it look he is fit, but in my opinion he was very tired and his shoulder could've been hurting, why not :shrug:

Bernard Black
What the hell, my post was deleted? Can't be bothered to write analysis again, it's late.

Well done Murray :)

SheepleBuster
09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I don't really get your point but we do agree right?

Yup. We do brother.

ExcaliburII
09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Del Potro played shit. Murray played as usual, overrated and overachiever (did he achieve something?) this Murray, seriously, shit personality.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
What did he asked the trainer for? I started watching it on the 4th set. I guess it was his shoulder from what I've heard from the commentator.

Anyway, his movement wasn't the best at all. It's just that the way he playes makes it look he is fit, but in my opinion he was very tired and his shoulder could've been hurting, why not :shrug:

He should hope for a lot more knee injuries if that's the standard he can produce :lol:

FERLKE
Pony ;)

Congrats Murray:):rolleyes::p

RagingLamb
What the hell, my post was deleted? Can't be bothered to write analysis again, it's late.

Well done Murray :)

no record of anyone deleting your post as far as I can tell. :confused:

Steelq
Ugly match,and another slam title for Nadal it seems.

scarecrows

it was his left knee
in the 3d he was having difficulties in movement and Murray could have closed the deal easily but he left Del Potro back in the game and he started moving better

Acer
09-04-2008, 12:52 AM
This was a disgrace to tennis, both of them ended up with more UE's than winners?

Tyler_Durden
quality was soo low for a GS QF

more than 3 hours of my life lost

I should know better next time I even think to watch a Murray match

yes he wasnt so good this match, but I think it was because of who he was playing that his game plan was just to retrieve balls and play passive, against nadal it will be the complete opposite.

StevoTG

He didn't exactly try to run down everything in the 4th imo. I reckon he was in real pain

Nev
09-04-2008, 12:53 AM
I was absolutely entertained with the match and everyone said it sucked?
Maybe I suck :lol:

Well, Nadal was the favourite from the beggining... so...

Dragula.mp3
I must admite I've lost the first two sets, but if this was a shity match; damn is so easy to play tennis then.
Del Potro hits quite hard and Murray was returning everything. He still needs to give more angle to his shots, but this kid have quite a great future.
And Murray, one of a hell player.

scarecrows
yes he wasnt so good this match, but I think it was because of who he was playing that his game plan was just to retrieve balls and play passive, against nadal it will be the complete opposite.

he retrieves balls and plays passive 90% of the matches :shrug:

LinkMage
09-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Some stats:
Murray Del Potro
Winners: 43 43
UEs: 61 56
BP conversion: 7/15 7/18

Awful match. 14 breaks in total. Was this played on clay or what?

RagingLamb

he definitely seemed to play waaay more aggressive against rafa in toronto.

Lullaby
He should hope for a lot more knee injuries if that's the standard he can produce :lol:

word - he was faking without a shadow of a doubt

I will say though his quality was better than I expected in sets 3 & 4 and i would probably have cheered him on against anyone other than muzza

Bernard Black
no record of anyone deleting your post as far as I can tell. :confused:

No worries, perhaps it was my mistake, I'm exhausted and delirious after sitting through that!

LinkMage
LinkImage in suicide watch after scarecrows´ beatdown

Why are you bitter? :wavey:

Don't worry, Nadull will demolish this Scottish clown to reach the final.

TankingTheSet
09-04-2008, 12:55 AM
I was amazed how Del Potro fought back after looking beaten. He was probably running on empty after his long winning streak, I dare say a fresher Del Potro might have beaten Murray. Hopefully Del Potro will take a good rest and recover physically -- it's pretty common to see players lose form/fitness after a long winning streak even after some rest.

StevoTG

I feel the same way!

MrChopin
To start, these two players will be in the top 15 after the USO is over, and at their ages, it's not a huge stretch to say that this could be the future of men's tennis. On to the match...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/Mr_Chopin/Untitled.jpg?t=1220486443

The stats don't really tell the full picture though. I think the concept of choke and mug were on full display here. "Momentum" was redefined as well. I think they were a combined 5/19 on challenges.

Norm Chryst was absolutely worthless, most notably when Del Potro challenged Murray's shot after his own had landed about 8 feet long... oh then it happened again when Murray approached, Del Potro attempted a pass, Murray hit a volley for a winner, and then Del Potro challenged Murray's approach shot, after which he was awarded the point when his challenge overturned the call.

The commentators were also on form here, with the following nuggets:

"You've got young guns like the two we're watching putting their hands up in the air and saying they want a piece"

"Some have suggested that the mens' slams be moved to three sets. What do you think?"

"At this point, you offer Nadal up for Armstrong. Serena and Venus are the feature match, as great as Nadal and Fish promises to be."

Andi-M
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Why are people so quick to accuse people of faking injuries??

Ive always said i dislike del potro but i have gained respect for him and his efforts today and noway do i think he was faking anything. He was exhausted!

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Well, Nadal was the favourite from the beggining... so...

It was very entertaining imo - just more from drama point of view rather than quality although I thought the last set and a half was quality

Clydey
09-04-2008, 12:57 AM

You mean like against Wawrinka, when he played out of this world aggressive tennis? He plays the way he thinks is right for the opponent. That's why he was slicing so much. Surely you noticed the constant slicing?

Deivid23
Why are you bitter? :wavey:

Don't worry, Nadull will demolish this Scottish clown to reach the final.

:haha:

Talk about that Mr. Bitterness :baby:

Thanos
:woohoo: murray

I have to agree it wasnt the prettiest match to watch. But murray used his variety to prevail and not let del potro get any rhythm throughout the match.

scarecrows
09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
You mean like against Wawrinka, when he played out of this world aggressive tennis? He plays the way he thinks is right for the opponent. That's why he was slicing so much. Surely you noticed the constant slicing?

90% did I say

had he sliced less it would have been a good tactic. The more he sliced the better Del Potro started replying to those

SheepleBuster
09-04-2008, 12:58 AM
:haha:

Talk about that Mr. Bitterness :baby:

The way I see it, if Nadal doesn't mess up today, the worst we will have is either Nadal or Murray as U.S. Open champ. Anyone but the other dude that I don't like.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 12:59 AM

He´s good enough to mix up his game at will so credits to him

Clydey
To start, these two players will be in the top 15 after the USO is over, and at their ages, it's not a huge stretch to say that this could be the future of men's tennis. On to the match...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/Mr_Chopin/Untitled.jpg?t=1220485587

The stats don't really tell the full picture though. I think the concept of choke and mug were on full display here. "Momentum" was redefined as well. I think they were a combined 5/19 on challenges.

Norm Chryst was absolutely worthless, most notably when Del Potro challenged Murray's shot after his own had landed about 8 feet long... oh then it happened again when Murray approached, Del Potro attempted a pass, Murray hit a volley for a winner, and then Del Potro challenged Murray's approach shot, after which he was awarded the point when his challenge overturned the call.

The commentators were also on form here, with the following nuggets:

"You've got young guns like the two we're watching putting their hands up in the air and saying they want a piece"

"Some have suggested that the mens' slams be moved to three sets. What do you think?"

"At this point, you offer Nadal up for Armstrong. Serena and Venus are the feature match, as great as Nadal and Fish promises to be."

Both will be top 15? Huh? Murray is the new world number 4.

anny12
I love it! Even though I don't like Andy too much, whatever it takes to keep Roddick from taking the title! Go Andy!
Oh my god cyrusking, we get it. You don't like Roddick. You really don't need to mention it in every post you make, especially when the thread has nothing to do with Roddick.

tennisfan28
i wonder how much gas is left in the scottish retard's tank for his semifinal match....

Tyler_Durden

Exactly Clydey, I honestly dont know how other people cant see it.

sometimes he gets his tactics wrong, like against tsonga and also a little bit tonight although he somehow managed to pull it off

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
The way I see it, if Nadal doesn't mess up today, the worst we will have is either Nadal or Murray as U.S. Open champ. Anyone but the other dude that I don't like.

Title race is wide open and Nadal has a dangerous match to play in a few hours yet

tennisfan28
del potro let the match go from his grasps in the 4set, a pity because he would have gone into the 5set with all the momentum

scarecrows
He´s good enough to mix up his game at will so credits to him

yup, he should do what he knows best but that's not my cup of coffee

Denaon
09-04-2008, 01:01 AM
I arrived for the 3rd and 4th set and to me both were amazing!!!
:hatoff: Congrats to Juan...what an amazing run!!!

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Exactly Clydey, I honestly dont know how other people cant see it.

sometimes he gets his tactics wrong, like against tsonga and also a little bit tonight although he somehow managed to pull it off

In 95% of the cases, when a player is hammered in MTF it´s a good sign. IQ average in here is low and average understanding of the game must be ridiculous if u ask me

TMJordan
09-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Both will be top 15? Huh? Murray is the new world number 4.

Want a cookie?

Del Potro will be ranked higher than Murray next year.

tennisfan28
this match reminded me a lot of the wimbledon 4th round between gasquet and scottish retard where gasquet had the match on his racquet on so many points but could never close out the scottish clown! how many of the scottish clown's hit the line today?? he was incredibly lucky...

Clydey
In 95% of the cases, when a player is hammered in MTF it´s a good sign. IQ average in here is low and average understanding of the game must be ridiculous if u ask me

Couldn't agree more.

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Title race is wide open and Nadal has a dangerous match to play in a few hours yet

Yep - also nadal and murray could beat the crap out of each other like australian open 07 when nadal went out next round.

Murray may beat nadal if he beats fish but even if he pulled off an unlikely victory he will be far too tired the next day to compete imo

finishingmove
what exactly is murray's plan to beat nadal?

Deivid23
yup, he should do what he knows best but that's not my cup of coffee

At the moment he defends off both wings better than he attacks, specially off the fh side, normally we will only become better and better at everything he´s now a bit weak on, he´s still far from being an end product in almost every department of the game

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:04 AM
Want a cookie?

Want a cookie? I was stating a fact. On Monday Murray will be ranked 4th.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Btw, those two sick slices by Andy in the last point to win the match were just jawdropping, he almost broke JMDP´s back :worship:

Lullaby
Want a cookie?

No chance what so ever

That was the closest del boy will ever get - a murray on fire will 1 & 0 him like juniors :wavey:

Murray played rubbish for 3 sets and he still could not win

Clydey

Attack, like he always does against Nadal. He always gives him a tough match on hard.

Jimnik
09-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Not a great match but at least Muzza made it. 5 down, 2 to go.

One step closer to the dream final.

lau
Congrats to Murray (and his fans) for reaching semifinals. :)
And Congrats to Juan for a great run in the US Open and giving it all on court. :hug: He´s young and he´ll definitely have more opportunities in the future :)

finishingmove
Attack, like he always does against Nadal. He always gives him a tough match on hard.

he doesnt have the mentality to beat nadal, no matter how he plays.

imo

Lullaby
At the moment he defends off both wings better than he attacks, specially off the fh side, normally we will only become better and better at everything he´s now a bit weak on, he´s still far from being an end product in almost every department of the game

Agreed but if he stays injury free, what a package the final product will be in a couple of years time :worship:

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Is mussah's real name Hamish? Well good on him either way, a win is a win... :unsure:

And :hug: to JMDP, what an awesome run, schade it had to come to an end but time to start another one, on to... Parque Roca!

adee-gee
Why shouldn't they be cordial? Only MTF has a long memory.;)
Murray couldn't exactly forget it, he's been asked about it in 20 different ways in interviews.

And he pretty much said he doesn't like or rate him in his pre-match interview :lol:

Tyler_Durden

play the same way he did in his previous matches against nadal apart
from at wimbledon which was aggresive and hope to convert his chances and play the bigger points better than nadal.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:09 AM
he doesnt have the mentality to beat nadal, no matter how he plays.

imo

I disagree. If Davydenko and Gonzalez can beat Nadal on hard, so can Murray. I don't know if he'll do it on Saturday, but he'll beat him at some point.

scoobs
Looked to me like they made peace at the net, if not friends.

TMJordan
Want a cookie? I was stating a fact. On Monday Murray will be ranked 4th.
True, Murray is definatly the 4th best player in the world right now. :hatoff:
No chance what so ever

That was the closest del boy will ever get - a murray on fire will 1 & 0 him like juniors :wavey:

Murray played rubbish for 3 sets and he still could not win
Come on man, Del Potro had played as good as anyone in the past 2 months he was clearly out of gas today, when he plays Murray the match is on his racket, Murray just pushes, Juan actually hits winners :rolleyes:

Anyways next year I think they will be ranked 4 and 5 and have many good matches but saying Murray will beat him easily is a joke, Del Potro will beat him more than not in the future.

scoobs
09-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I have nothing but respect for Del Potro after that match, though - he impressed me hugely today.

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 01:10 AM

mate... i got bored of explaining murray to mates and f***heads... acquired taste... dude turned it into an absolute grind... but, on purpose... and this time, for 99% of the match did not once turn away from the initial plan...

murray is turning into a brutal, brutal human being...

i think the final proof of what he can do when he chooses was the 2nd set tb... when he jumped the gun on del potro going all out... del potro couldn't move through the 2 gears that murray did...

and... he brought it back immediately to an drawn out battle...

for sure... you have to watch his matches leading into a performance like this to appreciate it...

murray will draw some severe hate should he win his next match...

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Murray couldn't exactly forget it, he's been asked about it in 20 different ways in interviews.

And he pretty much said he doesn't like or rate him in his pre-match interview :lol:

No, he didn't. He said JMDP does a lot of things very well, but doesn't do anything exceptional other than be consistent.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM

That signature of yours is sick Adam :worship:

I might even ask to borrow it from you at the end of the season :haha:

MacTheKnife
09-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Murray can play unbelievable defense, and D-Pot is unreal for his age. I was waiting to see how he did in best of 5 on a big stage. He really hung tough when he was basically out of the match. Murray choking put him back in the match and he came through and pulled out that 3rd set. When this kid learns how to hit spots with his serve he's really going to be tough.
As a lot have pointed out, there were some really low points in this match from a quality standpoint, but with what was at stake for either of them to reach 1st GS semi, some degree of choking can be expected.

At any rate, contrats to Murray and look out for D-Pot. He did a lot of growing up tonight.

scoobs
09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Murray can play unbelievable defense, and D-Pot is unreal for his age. I was waiting to see how he did in best of 5 on a big stage. He really hung tough when he was basically out of the match. Murray choking put him back in the match and he came through and pulled out that 3rd set. When this kid learns how to hit spots with his serve he's really going to be tough.
As a lot have pointed out, there were some really low points in this match from a quality standpoint, but with what was at stake for either of them to reach 1st GS semi, some degree of choking can be expected.

At any rate, contrats to Murray and look out for D-Pot. He did a lot of growing up tonight.

Fully agree with this.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Come on man, Del Potro had played as good as anyone in the past 2 months he was clearly out of gas today, when he plays Murray the match is on his racket, Murray just pushes, Juan actually hits winners :rolleyes:

Anyways next year I think they will be ranked 4 and 5 and have many good matches but saying Murray will beat him easily is a joke, Del Potro will beat him more than not in the future.

This reminds me very very much to those comments in here like 5 years ago about Gasquet-Nadal "rivalry" :lol:. You know what happened next

Denaon
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Is mussah's real name Hamish? Well good on him either way, a win is a win... :unsure:

And :hug: to JMDP, what an awesome run, schade it had to come to an end but time to start another one, on to... Parque Roca!

You said it!! :rocker:
:rocker2:

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 01:14 AM
True, Murray is definatly the 4th best player in the world right now. :hatoff:

I personally think injury willing andys intelligence may carry him to heights that many here do not think he is capable. He can play many styles and adapt as required like the 4th set where most of his winners came as he stepped up from passive to agressive.

Dont get me wrong, del potro is going to be a quality player but like gonzalez he does have huge variety in his game. They probably will have many battles though and it should be fun.

Moneys better for them than when they faced off as kids too

TMJordan
09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
This reminds me very very much to those comments in here like 5 years ago about Gasquet-Nadal "rivalry" :lol:. You know what happened next

Which one is which? :p

danton
09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
this match reminded me a lot of the wimbledon 4th round between gasquet and scottish retard where gasquet had the match on his racquet on so many points but could never close out the scottish clown! how many of the scottish clown's hit the line today?? he was incredibly lucky...

One of the daftest posts I have ever read - you don't get to be world no 4 by being lucky!! :rolleyes:

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:16 AM
mate... i got bored of explaining murray to mates and f***heads... acquired taste... dude turned it into an absolute grind... but, on purpose... and this time, for 99% of the match did not once turn away from the initial plan...

i think the final proof of what he can do when he chooses was the 2nd set tb... when he jumped the gun on del potro going all out... del potro couldn't move through the 2 gears that murray did...

for sure... you have to watch his matches leading into a performance like this to appreciate it...

Agreed. I suppose there's little point in arguing with half of MTF. They see what they want to see. Murray did a lot of pushing today, so people on MTF ignore his match with Wawrinka and label him a pusher.

Trying to explain to MTF regs why they aren't being logical is like trying to ice skate uphill. I don't know why I bother :)

Jogy
Good thing that del Faker lost!!

you can't call the trainer every time to crash rythm of your opponent when you are behind and then go out in the third set and run like a quick weasel

disgusting faking of del Potro, glad he lost

Sunset of Age
Looked to me like they made peace at the net, if not friends.

Yep. I got the impression that Andy actually wished Juan the best of luck with his injury, and they looked very friendly to me. Good to see!

Deivid23
I have nothing but respect for Del Potro after that match, though - he impressed me hugely today.

He didn´t play anything different at all to what he´s been doing for last months. He has played better than this just a few days ago, if u are impressed after today you should take a chair in a few years´ time before watching his matches

scoobs
09-04-2008, 01:17 AM

I think it says a lot about tennis, and not good things, when so many people can't understand why a player would CHOOSE to slow the pace down, slice a lot, become a wall, make the other player do the pace generation. Assume that because they don't hit with power, it's because they can't.

It may not be pretty sometimes but you ask Andy Murray if he cares, he's in a Grand Slam semi-final. I don't know how many more times I need to say this, several thousand I suspect, but tennis is about WINNING MATCHES, not playing a style that gets one section of fandom or another cooing over how you hit your shots. Getting style marks is a bonus, not the objective.

Lullaby

love the intelligence of a few on this board,you can clearly see the light :worship:

People dont know how good this boy is and how ambitious he is but they will find out in time

Deivid23

you can't call the trainer every time to crash rythm of your opponent when you are behind and then go out in the third set and run like a quick weasel

disgusting faking of del Potro, glad he lost

:haha: Jogy knew you´d bring this one up

TMJordan
I personally think injury willing andys intelligence may carry him to heights that many here do not think he is capable. He can play many styles and adapt as required like the 4th set where most of his winners came as he stepped up from passive to agressive.

Dont get me wrong, del potro is going to be a quality player but like gonzalez he does have huge variety in his game. They probably will have many battles though and it should be fun.

Moneys better for them than when they faced off as kids too

Yeah I pretty much agree, they will both be very good.

Del Potro just took longer to start playing well, remember last year or so Del Potro was retiering from many many matches.

If Murray would mature on court it would help him a lot if he wants to be at the top.

GlennMirnyi
09-04-2008, 01:18 AM
This match should be put under the link mug-off in wikipedia. It's the perfect definition.

scoobs
09-04-2008, 01:18 AM
He didn´t play anything different at all to what he´s been doing for last months. He has played better than just a few days ago, if u are impressed after today you should take a chair in a few year´s time before watching his matches
I'm impressed with his willingness to endure and fight - I know his game already and it's not massively different to before, except he uses it a bit more aggressively.

I'm impressed with his never say die attitude out there, it will serve him very well when he's a bit fitter.

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 01:19 AM
One of the daftest posts I have ever read - you don't get to be world no 4 by being lucky!! :rolleyes:

exactly

qf wimbledon
sf toronto
Winner cinci
sf us

What a run the boy is on

cobalt60
09-04-2008, 01:19 AM

I realise that. I read it all here on MTF ;) Cordial means to me neutral.

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Agreed. I suppose there's little point in arguing with half of MTF. They see what they want to see. Murray did a lot of pushing today, so people on MTF ignore his match with Wawrinka and label him a pusher.

Trying to explain to MTF regs why they aren't being logical is like trying to ice skate uphill. I don't know why I bother :)

dude wasnt gonna win in a slug-fest... potro would have ripped a new hole in that scot that would have needed its own post code... push when required...

there's a reason Gilles Simon is not ranked #4...

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah I pretty much agree, they will both be very good.

Del Potro just took longer to start playing well, remember last year or so Del Potro was retiering from many many matches.

If Murray would mature on court it would help him a lot if he wants to be at the top.

he has a lot but it is just taking a while lol

Tyler_Durden
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM

LOL!!!! :drink:

Yes, yes it is

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
love the intelligence of a few on this board,you can clearly see the light :worship:

People dont know how good this boy is and how ambitious he is but they will find out in time

yeah... murray fish should give us some answers next round... ;) :yeah:

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm impressed with his willingness to endure and fight - I know his game already and it's not massively different to before, except he uses it a bit more aggressively.

I'm impressed with his never say die attitude out there, it will serve him very well when he's a bit fitter.

Don´t want to sound harsh, just realistic, but what is he supposed to do in his first ever QF in a Grand Slam and riding on a 25 matches winning streak? Quiting bc he´s tired or his knee hurts? He has had enough retirements in only 2 years of his carrer one would think :shrug:

quiron
09-04-2008, 01:24 AM
le gano de culo vamos a decir la verdad

Clydey
09-04-2008, 01:24 AM
dude wasnt gonna win in a slug-fest... potro would have ripped a new hole in that scot that would have needed its own post code... push when required...

there's a reason Gilles Simon is not ranked #4...

Took the words out of my mouth. Simon is a very good pusher, but it's all he does. He couldn't do to Djokovic what Murray did 2 weeks in a row.

It's plain to see that Murray employs the tactics he sees fit. I mean, he sliced more than Santoro tonight. It was clearly a conscious decision to make Del Potro beat him. There's a not a chance in hell Murray will play anything like that against Nadal, yet people will quickly forget how attacking Murray was against Nadal the next time he pushes.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Took the words out of my mouth. Simon is a very good pusher, but it's all he does. He couldn't do to Djokovic what Murray did 2 weeks in a row.

It's plain to see that Murray employs the tactics he sees fit. I mean, he sliced more than Santoro tonight. It was clearly a conscious decision to make Del Potro beat him. There's a not a chance in hell Murray will play anything like that against Nadal, yet people will quickly forget how attacking Murray was against Nadal the next time he pushes.

You make far too much sense, don´t waste more energy :secret:

TMJordan
Is mussah's real name Hamish?!

Yeah.

MrChopin

I can appreciate the tactic, which worked wonderfully for patches and looked terrific at the beginning, but Murray would either revert to rallying with JMDP or throw in a handful of errors/double fault and blow the lead he'd just earned. It led to an incredibly "ugly" match by every definition except for strategy, and Murray wasn't even consistent in that regard. I do agree, however, that Murray's performance during the second set tiebreak was a clear vision of what he can do when he couples it with stuff like the beginning of the first set. We've already seen how Murray's variety can fluster Djokovic. It has yet to be established if his offensive game is consistently enough to derail Nadal, but if he gets there, the future is bright, however "ugly" it may be.

scoobs
Don´t want to sound harsh, just realistic, but what is he supposed to do in his first ever QF in a Grand Slam and riding on a 25 matches winning streak? Quiting bc he´s tired or his knee hurts? He has had enough retirements in only 2 years of his carrer one would think :shrug:

Look at Wawrinka in the previous round - he went away from it very quickly and he was fresher and more experienced.

Del Potro really didn't let his head drop until the very end, he still came back and threw everything he had at Murray even when two sets down and looking like it was going to be over in 3. I'm very impressed with that - nobody would have thought less of him if he'd surrendered in 3 sets but that wasn't his way.

Steelq
09-04-2008, 01:28 AM
exactly

qf wimbledon
sf toronto
Winner cinci
sf us

What a run the boy is on
And 1st round olympics also.

Clydey
You make far too much sense, don´t waste more energy :secret:

Hah, I'm about to throw in the towel anyway. Fighting a losing battle ;)

Tommy_Vercetti
He wouldn't let Murray choke it all away. Too bad.

Deivid23
09-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Del Potro really didn't let his head drop until the very end, he still came back and threw everything he had at Murray even when two sets down and looking like it was going to be over in 3. I'm very impressed with that - nobody would have thought less of him if he'd surrendered in 3 sets but that wasn't his way.

First ever QF in a GS and riding on such a huge wave of confidence after winning 25 matches in a row, that´s the minimum I would have expected from any player in that situation. you´re giving that fact way too much credit

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 01:30 AM

murray has used everything at his disposal to line up another show with nadal, a match-up that he initially figured out in the closing stages at the AO a couple of years ago... tho, didnt have the body to match the strategy ever since... a poor run at the olympics may be the fault of his best shot yet...

credit to del potro... he was forced to play the murray game, licking balls back deep to murray that were inches above the baseline... patient and canny enough to wait for murray to fuk up and give him something to hit...

murray did not give him enough...

scoobs
09-04-2008, 01:30 AM
First ever QF in a GS and riding on such a huge wave of confidence after winning 25 matches in a row, that´s the minimum I would have expected from any player in that situation. you´re giving that way too much credit
I don't think so because he still earned that 25 match win streak.

But whatever :)

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I can appreciate the tactic, which worked wonderfully for patches and looked terrific at the beginning, but Murray would either revert to rallying with JMDP or throw in a handful of errors/double fault and blow the lead he'd just earned. It led to an incredibly "ugly" match by every definition except for strategy, and Murray wasn't even consistent in that regard. I do agree, however, that Murray's performance during the second set tiebreak was a clear vision of what he can do when he couples it with stuff like the beginning of the first set. We've already seen how Murray's variety can fluster Djokovic. It has yet to be established if his offensive game is consistently enough to derail Nadal, but if he gets there, the future is bright.

its probably why him and gilbert didnt get along... cos murray is like:

'...win ugly..? i wrote that sh!t when i was 6 fuk off...'

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 01:31 AM
And 1st round olympics also.

least points available ... tactical decision with too much village partying. He only went for the buzz ;)

Andi-M
09-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Look at Wawrinka in the previous round - he went away from it very quickly and he was fresher and more experienced.

Yeah imma lay off the del pony mug run jokes for a while cos although he didnt win he proved his worth, he has some massive shots and alot of potential. He showed increased maturity in both his play and attitude Really impressed.

gillian
09-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Nice win for Murray. He weathered the storm and gutted this one out. Thought he played within himself and stayed calm when he could have melted down. Hope he plays well in the semis.

TheMuzz
09-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Great result for Andy - first GS semi final! Performance was pretty ugly really - he should've finished it in three but didn't press home his advantage. JMDP deserves a good deal of credit for the way he came back after a pretty dismal two sets. The guy has a lot of game.

I think Murray's got a chance against Rafa, but he will SERIOUSLY have to lift his level.

ufokart
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Delpo :hug:

It was a good run nonetheless, keep it up :yeah:

Murray :yeah:
I don't like him very much, but i'm sure as hell going to cheer for him against either Nadal or Fish :lol:

dsingh7
09-04-2008, 02:06 AM
considering these two were fighting for first ever grand slam semi ..choking was expected..guys here are bashing the Andy..imo he played tactically good match..winning is what matter even though its ugly...i am not Andy fan but he is one of most cunning guy in the court...sometime his play reminds me of Agassi

Clara Bow
09-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Although this match was error-strewn, it solidified my liking for both of the players involved.

Murry won when he was not playing his best. That is what you have to do to win a grand slam. He is one of the most thinking players out there- although the thought process can leave him at times.

JMdP kept playing when he could have rolled over. This is not something that he would have done imo 6 months ago. This maturity is one reason for his streak coming into the USO because he played not so well in the Legg Mason final.

Liked the exchange at the net- it looks like it was friendly- I wonder what was said. It seems that between his comments yesterday that Andy was a "good person" JMdP wants to make ammends.

Juan does need to get more muscles in his legs- when you are that skinny- you can have problems with your knees as I did 20 pounds ago when I was dancing and as my skinny tall friend did when she played volleyball.

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 02:07 AM
WD Champ :yeah:

but improve the serving

Merton
09-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Well done for Andy to make his first slam semifinal. Good to see Del Potro making the quarters here, I thought it was entirely possible for him to bomb out early under the weight of expectations after his 4 consecutive titles.

out_here_grindin
09-04-2008, 02:22 AM
The end of the 4th set was quality. The more tired they got the better they played :)

Golfnduck
09-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Murray goofed alot, this match should have been over well before it was. It looks like Nadal will have a easier road to the final.

Neely
09-04-2008, 02:46 AM
I think Murray's got a chance against Rafa, but he will SERIOUSLY have to lift his level.
Yes indeed. Both were very bad today confirming the break of serve. This may not happen against Nadal, that's for sure. And I expect Murray to play a different game again, like at Toronto where he served and then immediately tried to throw the kitchen sink at Nadal with the follow-up shot. This wasn't much the case with del Potro today, and it was not needed.

Tyler_Durden
09-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Q. How does it feel to be in the semifinals?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it's great. You know, obviously after a match like that it makes it feel even better.

But, yeah, it's a nice feeling.

Q. There seemed to be a little wobble there.

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, for me, like I said in all my other matches, I don't care what happens throughout the course of the match as long as I win.

I played the big points great. In the first two sets I played really well in the tiebreaks.

And then, yeah, when I broke a string on my racquet I started to serve a few double faults and lost the rhythm on my serve a little bit.

But I was really happy with the way I managed to come back. You know, it was a long match, and it would have been easy to get down on myself, but I didn't do that. I was really happy I came through.

Q. Did the match go as you hoped tactically?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, I knew it was going to be a tough match. I mean, he's won however many matches, over twenty matches in a row. The guy's feeling unbelievably confident, so I didn't feel like I was the definite favorite for the match. I knew it was going to be really hard.

I knew that I was going to have to fight a lot, change the pace of the ball, because he's really solid from the back of the court. And my tactics worked quite well.

Q. Are you pleased with your fitness?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah.

Q. Can you recover okay, you think?

ANDY MURRAY: I got two days, so I'll be disappointed if I'm not recovered.

Q. How did you regroup? What was going through your mind? It must have been a difficult mental challenge.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, I was in the driver's seat; I was up two sets. You know, I have been in situations like that before. I didn't get too flustered and kept my focus.

It was really tough to play from the far end of the court. Both of us struggled. That was where I lost I think ‑‑ I don't know how many service games I lost, maybe seven or eight. But I think the majority of them were from that far side. It probably didn't feel it, but it was very windy on the court, and we both struggled serving from end. I knew that I was going to get some chances to break him, and I obviously did in the end.

Q. Are you as calm inside as you've given the impression you are, both on the court and now, or are you getting a little bit excited? You don't seem tremendously excited to be in the semifinals.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I'm excited to be in the semifinals, but the tournament is still going. Again, I said at the start of the tournament, I want to try to win it. I don't want to lose in the semifinals.

When I watched the opening of the tournament on the first night session, and you see all the winners of the US Open, you know, you realize that winning is what really, really counts. That's what I'm going to try and do.

I understand getting to the semis is a great achievement, but I want to go a little bit further.

Q. Do you have a preference about who you play?

ANDY MURRAY: Fish obviously has never been in that position before. Nadal is the No. 1 player in the world. I guess playing Fish is definitely an easier match.

Q. Can you compare the atmosphere to the Gasquet atmosphere?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it's just very different. Wimbledon it's ‑‑ for me the biggest difference is in the middle of the points. At Wimbledon it's so quiet, and then at the end of the points it kind of erupts. Here there's a lot of noise going on in the middle of points, and a lot of shouting out during points.

Yeah, just a little bit more laid back, the atmosphere here. But both were great.

Q. You always get a very good reception when you come on court. Generally the crowd here are generally very supportive, even though you're not American. Do you feel you have sort of a rapport with the people here?

ANDY MURRAY: I think they enjoy my game style. You know, I think it's a bit different to how a lot of the guys play nowadays, and I think they just enjoy the way I play, and show emotion on the court, and that's what Americans like to see.

Q. If you were to play Nadal in the semifinals, what did you learn the last two matches you played him?

ANDY MURRAY: The one thing that I need to improve, if I play him, is to return better. The first couple of times I played him I returned very well. The last two or three matches I didn't return well at all. That's the only thing that I need to do. I need to do better.

I've had a lot of the ‑‑ the match at Wimbledon, if I take that one away, the times I played him on hard courts, I've had quite a few close sets, really tough matches.

You know, it comes down to who returns better and who gets the breaks of serve. Normally that's the best part of my game. The last few times I've played him, I've not done that.

Q. Can you talk about the conversation with Del Potro at the end of the match.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, we obviously ‑‑ I think quite early on in the match there was sort of a feeling of respect between us in terms of, you know, our games and stuff. There was no arguing over line calls or anyone trying to get in anyone's face.

I think a lot was sort of made of what happened the last time I played against him. I said it wasn't going to be a problem. And just at the end of the match he said, "I'm sorry for what happened before."

I told him it was a great run he had been on. I'm sure we'll have some great matches in the future. That was it.

Q. You've got good eyesight but your challenging tonight was a little ‑‑ well, you didn't win many, did you? Are you surprised that sometimes what you think is a good call on your part seems so far out or so far in?

ANDY MURRAY: No, because for me 75% of the time when I challenge, I do it a lot of time on breakpoints or big points where I just want to see where the ball was. I don't care if I get the challenges wrong. Makes no difference to me. It doesn't change my attitude towards the way that I challenge.

Every time I challenge I don't do it just because I think the ball is in. I just want to see how far out it is. Or sometimes the Hawk‑Eye can be wrong. So that's why I do it.

Q. Will you spend the next two days thinking about the semifinal or trying not to think about it?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I won't think about it much. I'm sure the night before the match I'll think about it a bit. You know, and then the day off I'll obviously speak to my coach and talk about the game plan and stuff.

But, yeah, I don't think it's ‑‑ I don't want to be worrying about it or thinking too much about it before I go out there.

Q. How tough an opponent would Mardy Fish be?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, he's playing really well so far. He's got a huge serve. He made the final last week in New Haven, and the final of Indian Wells, too. Beat Federer there. He can play some great tennis and very aggressive.

Serves I would say 60, 70% of his serves are over 130. Comes to the net a lot, and he's a tough guy when he plays his best tennis.

Q. Do you think he's a good match‑up for you tactically then, his aggressive style?

ANDY MURRAY: The court is pretty quick out there. I would have thought someone like Monfils would have been a tough guy for him to play against, and he went through him pretty quickly. Obviously the match‑up is not a bad one for me. It really just depends on how you play on the day.

Q. Juan Martin, his press conference couldn't continue, he broke down in tears and had to be led out of the room. He was very disappointed. He's 19 years old and he reached his first Grand Slam. Can you relate to those emotions? Because one would think perhaps he would be quite pleased with his performance in the tournament here.

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I've never done that before after matches. I mean, yeah, like you say, it's a great achievement to make the quarters at his age. He's been ‑‑ I think when you've been on a run like he has, I guess when it ends it's pretty emotional because ‑‑ and it's pretty tiring as well to keep winning matches like that.

You know, that's what makes sort of Federer and Nadal's achievements unbelievable because of how tough it is to keep doing that. I mean, he's probably upset that he had his chance to get back into the match and didn't quite take it.

I think physically he was struggling a bit at the end, so it's probably a whole combination of things.

Q. What's your view about the semis and the final being back to back?

ANDY MURRAY: I think it's better if they play Friday/Sunday. It's been like that for ages. You know, it's more I think for the fans more than anything.

You know, the players should, you know, be able to, you know, give it their best shot. It's a Slam final, so they're going to get up for it.

I just think as a fan, if a guy plays a 7‑6 in the fifth match and plays for four and a half hours and the other guy plays for an hour and a half, I know who I'd be putting my money on the next day.

It kind of makes it ‑‑ I think for the fans you're not going to see the best tennis of the guy that's played the long match.

Q. You've always set yourself different goals each year. Improving Grand Slam performances was a key one this year. Are you taking deep satisfaction yet that you improved your form, or are you going to wait until Sunday?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I wanted to try and make the Masters Cup this year, and I obviously missed that by one match last year, even though I missed three and a half months with the wrist injury.

So I'm happy that I'm pretty sure I confirmed myself in the Masters Cup. But, yeah, I think how you do in Slams is how you're remembered in tennis, and I wanted to improve my record in them.

Yeah, definitely done that this year. Hopefully I can keep it going in the next match.

Q. A big day for your brother tomorrow. Will you come in and watch him?

ANDY MURRAY: I might so, yeah. I'm going to come in and obviously practice myself. But, yeah, good chance ‑‑ I might not go out on the court, but I'll be here for when he's playing for sure.

Q. What was the situation with the screen?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, just at the start of the match, in the middle of the points they were showing ‑‑ it was just the score. Then towards the end, I don't know if it was the first or second set, I can't remember, they were showing what was happening on the court.

It was just ‑‑you know, you could see something moving at the top all the time because they were obviously showing the points. I didn't know if that was intentional or not, and I just asked them if they could turn it off. He said no, and I said that's absolutely fine.

Q. You spent a lot of time at this US Open Grandstand Court and Armstrong Court. Part of what you saw on the screen, perhaps was part of that a little bit of unfamiliarity? If so, how good does it feel to be establishing yourself on center court?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, there are so many things going on on that court that, you know, something like that, which is right at the top of the stands, is the last thing that's sort of, I guess putting you off. I love playing on that court.

For me, the atmosphere there is awesome. I've had great support, and I played two really good matches. I look forward to playing hopefully more matches on there in the future.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

gotta feel sorry for JMDP, he gave everything to try and get back into the match,

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 02:57 AM

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, we obviously ‑‑ I think quite early on in the match there was sort of a feeling of respect between us in terms of, you know, our games and stuff. There was no arguing over line calls or anyone trying to get in anyone's face.

I think a lot was sort of made of what happened the last time I played against him. I said it wasn't going to be a problem. And just at the end of the match he said, "I'm sorry for what happened before."

I told him it was a great run he had been on. I'm sure we'll have some great matches in the future. That was it.

:yeah: Kudos, Gentlemen! :worship:

Chiseller
09-04-2008, 03:06 AM
No idea what happened in the 4th but I couldn't watch that WTA crap anymore. Del Potro at least tried to add some power to his shots while Murray just took it away again.
Watching Federer hit 60+ UEs is more entertaining.

Nice read, the interview.

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 03:08 AM
nice to know his feelings on the usage of hawkeye... fair enough... it really is 'his' court out there...

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:09 AM
No idea what happened in the 4th but I couldn't watch that WTA crap anymore. Del Potro at least tried to add some power to his shots while Murray just took it away again.
Watching Federer hit 60+ UEs is more entertaining.

That's something that "fans" like you will never get. Tennis is about winning matches. Players aren't going to go for winner after winner to please you. They play to win. Murray's tactics got him the victory, so your criticism is sorely misplaced.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Although this match was error-strewn, it solidified my liking for both of the players involved.

Murry won when he was not playing his best. That is what you have to do to win a grand slam. He is one of the most thinking players out there- although the thought process can leave him at times.

JMdP kept playing when he could have rolled over. This is not something that he would have done imo 6 months ago. This maturity is one reason for his streak coming into the USO because he played not so well in the Legg Mason final.

Liked the exchange at the net- it looks like it was friendly- I wonder what was said. It seems that between his comments yesterday that Andy was a "good person" JMdP wants to make ammends.

Juan does need to get more muscles in his legs- when you are that skinny- you can have problems with your knees as I did 20 pounds ago when I was dancing and as my skinny tall friend did when she played volleyball.

JMDP apologised for what happened in Rome and Murray congratulated him on a great run and told him he hopes they have more great matches in future.

Apparently JMDP couldn't finish his press conference. He was lead away in tears. I suppose the emotion of losing such a good streak got to him.

Chiseller
09-04-2008, 03:18 AM
That's something that "fans" like you will never get. Tennis is about winning matches. Players aren't going to go for winner after winner to please you. They play to win. Murray's tactics got him the victory, so your criticism is sorely misplaced.

Oh noes, you little fannybannybaby is very mucho pissed it seems. Don't worry, I know what tennis is about, though, I am allowed to express my feelings on how the match did entertain me resp. how it didn't.
Gosh, why are fanboys always so sensitive. Shouldn't you be in bed or in your cave?

ReturnWinner
09-04-2008, 03:18 AM
I just watched the first two sets and the match was not bad, just both mtf fanboys & fangirls think a match is good when you have a winner differential :o and i read Del Potro had many chances in the fourth? he served for the first set set too, so overall Murray won this match given his bigger experience in the tour, in the future things can be the opposite.
and Del Pony did not put a show like Fakervic usually does, so do not come with that shit faking thing, you can usually notice when a player
is faking or not at least you are a mtf fanclown.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Oh noes, you little fannybannybaby is very mucho pissed it seems. Don't worry, I know what tennis is about, though, I am allowed to express my feelings on how the match did entertain me resp. how it didn't.
Gosh, why are fanboys always so sensitive. Shouldn't you be in bed or in your cave?

No, you seem to think a player sucks if he doesn't entertain you. If a tennis player entertains you while winning, that's just a bonus. Their job is to win matches, not win over tennis illiterate "fans".

ReturnWinner
09-04-2008, 03:23 AM
Murray is not flashy but he has great drop shots, lobs ,slice and return, he mixes up the game pretty well.
far from being the most boring player.

Chiseller
09-04-2008, 03:33 AM
No, you seem to think a player sucks if he doesn't entertain you.

Eh? Mind to elaborate that? Did I hurt your fanboyism that much?
Since you obviously don't consider yourself as a tennis illiterate fan, you ought to work on other fields of your intelligence. Let's start with your visual perception.

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/955193b.jpg
What's that?

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Eh? Mind to elaborate that? Did I hurt your fanboyism that much?
Since you obviously don't consider yourself as a tennis illiterate fan, you ought to work on other fields of your intelligence. Let's start with your visual perception.

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/955193b.jpg
What's that?

Your picture isn't showing. Care to try again?

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Well done. You finally figured out how to insert images into your post. Before insulting someone's intelligence, make sure you don't make an idiot of yourself first.

Argenbrit
09-04-2008, 03:44 AM

Good for them. :yeah:

Q. Juan Martin, his press conference couldn't continue, he broke down in tears and had to be led out of the room. He was very disappointed. He's 19 years old and he reached his first Grand Slam. Can you relate to those emotions? Because one would think perhaps he would be quite pleased with his performance in the tournament here.
Juanma. :hug:

Is his press conference - or what was left of it - online?

Clydey
09-04-2008, 03:46 AM
Good for them. :yeah:

Juanma. :hug:

Is his press conference - or what was left of it - online?

It's very short.

Q. You seemed to be really struggling towards the end there. Can you tell us about some of the aches and pains you had by that point in the match?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Yes, I was feeling pain in all my body, but I just did my best. We played a good match. Andy, is a very good performance and in good shape. So he's the best winner. I'm happy.

Q. You had a lot to say to each other at the net at the end. Can you give us some idea of what was being said.

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: All I said congratulations, good luck for the next match. He played an unbelievable match. We played like four hours, I don't know. But he's a great player. And that's it.

Q. You came into the match, you've won many, many matches in a row, very strong tennis. Can you look back at the tournament and feel quite successful with your performance here?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, I don't know. I improve a lot. That's the point for my success.

But today I play against one of the best player of the world. He beat Nadal the best player of the world, and he beat Djokovic in Cincinnati, he beat everyone. I did my best. He won a good match, and he's in semifinals.

But I want to work hard because in the fourth set I feel tired, and he was gooder than me, so I have to work.

Q. He didn't want to give you any pace, did he? Was that quite frustrating that he was constantly slicing the backhand and just asking you to put the pace on the ball?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: He did everything. I run a lot and I don't serve too good, but I play good behind the line.

We did good match. The people enjoy the match. He's more happy than me, but I'm not sad, you know.

Argenbrit
09-04-2008, 03:57 AM
JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: [...]He's more happy than me, but I'm not sad, you know.
He tried to play the strong card, but it didn't turn out that well... :hug:

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 04:01 AM
... like i said... murray is a brutal, brutal man these days...

could he be the man to lead Scotland out of the bad weather...?

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Del Potro played shit. Murray played as usual, overrated and overachiever (did he achieve something?) this Murray, seriously, shit personality.you crying Argie :rolleyes:

i wonder how much gas is left in the scottish retard's tank for his semifinal match....as much gas as fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies - something all us scottish retards have i guess

disgusting faking of del Potro, glad he lostquick weasel eh

Btw, those two sick slices by Andy in the last point to win the match were just jawdropping, he almost broke JMDP´s back :worship:Burro, you seem to be a fan of Murray

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 04:07 AM
all Rangers fans should trade their season tickets in and put it towards the AO in jan and double their fun this winter...

finishingmove
09-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Q. You came into the match, you've won many, many matches in a row, very strong tennis. Can you look back at the tournament and feel quite successful with your performance here?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No, I don't know. I improve a lot. That's the point for my success.

But today I play against one of the best player of the world. He beat Nadal the best player of the world, and he beat Djokovic in Cincinnati, he beat everyone. I did my best. He won a good match, and he's in semifinals.

del potro was drugged with muzzanax before the match.

Naranoc
09-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Quite strange that by these late stages in the tournament, none of the 'favourites' - Nadal, Federer, Murray or Djokovic, are actually playing well. Their game level needs to be raised considerably, or I have half a feeling that Fish will take the whole thing, which would be an...interesting outcome :lol:

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 04:13 AM
hopefully that was Del Potro looking into the future ;)

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 04:28 AM
Quite strange that by these late stages in the tournament, none of the 'favourites' - Nadal, Federer, Murray or Djokovic, are actually playing well. Their game level needs to be raised considerably, or I have half a feeling that Fish will take the whole thing, which would be an...interesting outcome :lol:

The TRUE Death of Tennis :lol:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-04-2008, 04:32 AM
MTF :worship: :hatoff:

tripb19
09-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Well done JMDP on a fantastic run, it sucks that you had nothing left but great fight.

Win the whole thing Murray please!!!

Good ol MTF: It was extremely windy out there, how good did you want this match?

vamosmoya
09-04-2008, 05:20 AM
ANYONE saw that on Espn Latin America?? He was crying so bad because of the match against murray :(, never seen a top player crying like that.

Clydey
09-04-2008, 05:23 AM
ANYONE saw that on Espn Latin America?? He was crying so bad because of the match against murray :(, never seen a top player crying like that.

I read he was crying, but didn't see a video of it. Is there a video clip available of it?

vamosmoya
09-04-2008, 05:26 AM
they showed something in the after press conference with his people and they were giving him support, it was tough to watch, then he talked to the press it was ok. I think is because his 19 , so young and he did quite an effort already.

Sunset of Age
09-04-2008, 05:31 AM
they showed something in the after press conference with his people and they were giving him support, it was tough to watch, then he talked to the press it was ok. I think is because his 19 , so young and he did quite an effort already.

He's a very young guy, I can well understand him feeling as disappointed as he apparently did, having just had this incredibly good run he's been enjoying until this match. And besides that, there's nothing wrong with a player crying after a heartbreaking loss!

JMDP... :hug:

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 05:36 AM
ANYONE saw that on Espn Latin America?? He was crying so bad because of the match against murray :(, never seen a top player crying like that.This is what Murray can drive ppl too :devil:

Turquoise
09-04-2008, 06:06 AM
Congrats to Murray on reaching 1st grand slam semi-final. :yeah: I couldn't have hoped for a better result, and I'm excited that there's more to come.

Fantastic 23 match streak by Del Potro. This guy has really earned our respect and admiration, the way he's improved over such a short period of time, and overcome his back injury from Rome. All credit to him and his coach, and all the best.

CooCooCachoo
09-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Congrats to Murray. The guy's game is very efficient, but it's sooooo boring to watch :yawn: He was just, as usual, letting his opponent make mistakes.

I mean, it's a sound game plan, but how it gets anyone excited is beyond me.

Clara Bow
09-04-2008, 06:39 AM

:hug: to JMdP. I thought that even though he did not play his best- he did well tonight in a way. He hung in and fought- and that is something he has learned to do and has not done in the past.

I am glad that he and Andy seemed to have buried the hatchet a bit. I like both and I think both can not have bad feelings about the opponent in order to play well (i.e. Murry vs. Stan in the Ro16)/

Lullaby
09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
:hug: to JMdP. I thought that even though he did not play his best- he did well tonight in a way. He hung in and fought- and that is something he has learned to do and has not done in the past.

I am glad that he and Andy seemed to have buried the hatchet a bit. I like both and I think both can not have bad feelings about the opponent in order to play well (i.e. Murry vs. Stan in the Ro16)/

Respect for del potro for the press conference

The run has been so long that the letdown was always going to be huge at the end. No shame in letting all the emotion out.

betowiec
09-04-2008, 06:56 AM
never in doubt

ChinoRios4Ever
09-04-2008, 07:14 AM

3rd time i see him crying.

1st when he lost to Gonzo in AO 07, he has to retire in the 5th set.
2nd this year in Rome
and today :eek:

callini deas
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
What a terrible match.It was definately one of the worst ive seen on the atp tour.How has Del potro gotten a winning streak, he looked so bad. Hes not a good mover,didnt come in when he should'ave and his backhand and sevre were very poor.Murray was smart enough to make him move, keep the ball low and bring him forward. its a good play but not for the audience and viewers, i bet half of them were bored out of their trolleys. Zero life in that match complete waste of my time. Murray better not win the Open because that would be a major blow for tennis, meaning that hes not a good ambasssoder for the game. This has been a very poor US Open

Lucinda
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
I fear for Nadal in the semis... :scared:

littleash
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
murray :woohoo:

tripb19
09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
What a terrible match.It was definately one of the worst ive seen on the atp tour.How has Del potro gotten a winning streak, he looked so bad. Hes not a good mover,didnt come in when he should'ave and his backhand and sevre were very poor.Murray was smart enough to make him move, keep the ball low and bring him forward. its a good play but not for the audience and viewers, i bet half of them were bored out of their trolleys. Zero life in that match complete waste of my time. Murray better not win the Open because that would be a major blow for tennis, meaning that hes not a good ambasssoder for the game. This has been a very poor US Open

1. Go back in time.

2. Don't join MTF.

ToniTennis
09-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I started watching the match at 5-5 in the 2nd set. I think it's safe to say that the less worst player won. Can't believe how many chances Del Potro had and how he blew them. Congrats to Murray for holding his ground on those moments and for being slightly better, but that's it.:zzz:

I fear for Nadal in the semis... :scared:

You're joking, right?

I'd say both of them should improve their game or this semi will only have interest for the hardcore fans on both sides.

HeretiC
09-04-2008, 08:33 AM
:haha: Good to see someone feeling the blank left after CD's ban, posting every second post and with irrefutable logic visible only by himself and of course everyone else who can't see the light is an idiot just like the majority of MTF who doesn't share his opinion. Gotta love it. Keep it going :yeah:

Back to the match. There were some good games and points and there were some really really awful ones by both players. I expected much easier win by Murray but Del Potro really showed that the strike wasn't a fluke. He is young, can improve his fitness and he is very likely to be to a huge force on tour in the next period. Murray on the other hand was expected to be in a SF, the stars really aligned well for him, beautiful draw and opponents, peaking in last period, everything is as good as it gets and yet he is struggling from time to time, suffering from ups and downs. This is the best chance for him to beat Nadal. Lets see what he can do, how will he perform or if he can do it at all?

scoobs
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Hearing JMDP was so upset in his presser, have to feel a bit for the guy. I imagine he was just so exhausted, aches and pains everywhere and disappointed that his amazing run was over...I guess he was just overwrought in the end and it all got too much to keep bottled up.

If he uses this the right way it can only do good things for him - if he takes this as a challenge and thinks "I will work harder, I will never be in a slam QF and have nothing left in my legs ever again" then look out in 2009.

Machiavelli
09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Hats off for the handshake at the end, and the little conversation, they are both growing up..

And a greta run for Del Pony ends, bu I am sure there will be some more of that briliant stuff in the future for him...

Hope Murray has the guts to take down Rafito...........

tnosugar
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM

today the spartan ethic rules in tennis. Perspiration is a sign of weakness!

Horatio Caine
09-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Good stuff Muzza...now go study the manual on how to beat Rafa. :yeah:

Del Potro apparently blubbered in his press conference. :tape:

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Del Potro will be one heck of a player. I thought he was done after the second set, but after that he barely missed a shot for the next two sets and he was hitting some screaming winners. One forehand, I couldn't believe how hard he had hit it and somehow it managed to land in right on the baseline.

Unfortunately for him Murray loves guys coming at him with power, and although the Scot threw away a few games, it was a good effort to come through that fourth set against a player in inspired form.

If it went to a fifth set I was worried for whichever player came through to face the daunting prospect of Nadal in the semis. As it is, I think, or hope, Murray will have enough in the tank to give Nadal all he's got and them some.

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Q. Juan Martin, his press conference couldn't continue, he broke down in tears and had to be led out of the room. He was very disappointed. He's 19 years old and he reached his first Grand Slam. Can you relate to those emotions? Because one would think perhaps he would be quite pleased with his performance in the tournament here. ANDY MURRAY: Well, I've never done that before after matches...:worship: Muzzah. :worship:

:bigcry: :hug: Jmdp :hug: :bigcry:

tHrwcQrY-JM

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Q. Juan Martin, his press conference couldn't continue, he broke down in tears and had to be led out of the room. He was very disappointed. He's 19 years old and he reached his first Grand Slam. Can you relate to those emotions? Because one would think perhaps he would be quite pleased with his performance in the tournament here. ANDY MURRAY: Well, I've never done that before after matches...:worship: Muzzah. :worship:

:bigcry: :hug: Jmdp :hug: :bigcry:

tHrwcQrY-JM

Haha, Murray, deadpan as ever :)

I hate when journalist ask players about their opponents, especially if they've won the match, the questions should be about them and their future opponents. If they want to give credit to the player they've just beaten then it's up to them, don't force them to be sentimental.

leng jai
09-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Murray shows us his class again :haha:

Venle
09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Weird match

TJ20
09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
If Del Potro did cry after the match, well thats twice Murray has drove him into literally crying.

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Murray shows us his class again :haha:

Stiff upper lip, mate. Well, that's what the English would say, but I'm sure this angry Scot would rather die than be seen crying in public.

delpiero7
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
I started watching this midway through the 3rd set, and I have to say I found it thoroughly entertaining. Can't believe people found it boring and shitty. Also, I found the tennis to be of a fairly high standard, apart from a few moments in the 4th set, where both players had their WTA moments. JMDP kept nailing his forehand time and again.

Ah well, I must be a fan of crappy tennis :retard:

nisha
09-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Murray
shame its Rafa hes facing

Bilbo
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
expected one

scoobs
09-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Well it's a good effort to make Murray out to being bitchy but it doesn't really wash.

They asked him if he could relate to Del Potro crying in his press conference and he says, well I've never done that...but I'd imagine this is how he was feeling, etc...

Nice try though :)

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Err...I just thought it was mad funny that the first thing he says is "Well I've never done that." But whatev. :rolleyes:

leng jai
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Well it's a good effort to make Murray out to being bitchy but it doesn't really wash.

They asked him if he could relate to Del Potro crying in his press conference and he says, well I've never done that...but I'd imagine this is how he was feeling, etc...

Nice try though :)

Hes just showing us his "emotional" guns.

Jaap
09-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Congrats to Murray. The guy's game is very efficient, but it's sooooo boring to watch :yawn: He was just, as usual, letting his opponent make mistakes.

I mean, it's a sound game plan, but how it gets anyone excited is beyond me.

Yet you're a fan of Cipolla? :confused:

VolandriFan
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
If Del Potro did cry after the match, well thats twice Murray has drove him into literally crying.

Yes it is the second time, but making JMDP cry is no great feat. He's an emotional guy and is not afraid to show that side of his personality. It's a refreshing quality in my humble opinion, and despite breaking down during the press conference, he still had only kind words to say about his opponent.

Congratulations to Juan Martin on his amazing run. A good way to end things, it seemed inevitable really, but I'm glad he put in a commendable effort. I imagine it will be some time before a new talent matches his 23 match run.

Murray has played outstanding tennis lately, it's no surprise to see him in the semifinals.

JustJames
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Muzza.. :yeah:

Always great to see players beginning to display the sort of play/results that will eventually culminate in them reaching their potential; as opposed to doing 'a Gasquet'.

rocketassist
09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
The net exchange was one of the best moments of the tournament.

Lala186
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Del pony played excellent
Congratulations Juanma!!! ;P

Iván
09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Two poor tie break displays cost JMDP the match

Aurora
09-04-2008, 03:14 PM
the video of the pressconference

:awww:

g53wO9z3Yo4

jasmin
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
:sad:Oh man Del Potro...your day will come because it's really obvious now how much it meant to him. He's going to get there.
It find this to be refreshing. Heck we know Federer cries a lot. We know Nadal does although he does it with no one looking. Well we know how great of a champions they turn out to be.

JIJ
09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Bloody hell son stop crying.

It's not appealing, or refreshing.

It's pathetic.

Especially considering the way he behaves sometimes.

Denaon
09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Some people might think that crying in public is a sign of weakness and imo it's the opposite.
I'm glad he's capable of showing some emotions, instead of some players that act like robots, which I could never ever relate to...
Juan :hug:

tangerine_dream
09-04-2008, 04:04 PM
the video of the pressconference

:awww:

g53wO9z3Yo4
Heartbreaker. :sad: This makes me like him even more. Del Pony Express, your day will come. :hug:

jasmin
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Some people might think that crying in public is a sign of weakness and imo it's the opposite.
I'm glad he's capable of showing some emotions, instead of some players that act like robots, which I could never ever relate to...
Juan :hug:

I think it's the opposite too.

safinalium
09-04-2008, 04:23 PM
the video from the press conference is truly heartbreaking. poor Juan, too much emotions for him :hug: but still his winning streak is incredible, he should be nothing but proud of himself. i wish him a great rest of the season :)

congrats to Muzza on reaching the semi-final. it will be very interesting match-up against Nadal!

Bernard Black
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it was pretty sweet and shows there's no bad blood between the two players

--------------------------------------

In May, the pair were involved in a spat during their first-round clash in Rome.

Murray was annoyed that Del Potro had not apologised for hitting the ball straight at him and then accused the Argentine of insulting his mother Judy.

But after his victory on Arthur Ashe Stadium at Flushing Meadows, Murray said: "I think quite early on in the match there was sort of a feeling of respect between us.

"There was no arguing over line calls or anyone trying to get in anyone's face.

"I think a lot was sort of made of what happened the last time I played against him but I said it wasn't going to be a problem and just at the end of the match he said, 'I'm sorry for what happened before'.

"I told him it was a great run he had been on. I'm sure we'll have some great matches in the future. That was it."

scoobs
09-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Crying is not pathetic. There's a guy to whom that match and this tournament meant a whole hell of a lot to, if he didn't care and he wasn't hungry, he would not be so upset and I see nothing wrong with showing that. Real men cry.

tennis2tennis
09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I wasn't a fan before but i am now...it shows how much the game means to him, he's only 19 he's got many many semi-finals ahead of him!

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Rafa = Fed Killa would not approve of this pansy boy crying behaviour

Albop
09-04-2008, 05:05 PM
lol Del Potro crying again.

RagingLamb
09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
nothing wrong with crying, but I appreciate people who control their emotions in public.

JIJ
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
It IS a sign of weakness though.

Especially in a sport like tennis.

tennis2tennis
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Ha even in crying roger is the reigning champ...u call that cyring ...this is crying...no one can bawl his eyes out like our Roger :p...over to the nadal camp :)
exhibit 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QDlcFHA4o) (fast-forward 2 end - mind u most players would cry if they lost to henman)

exhibit 2
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1057783375571_2003/07/12/federer_1207.jpg
exhibit 3
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82196&d=1141512938
exhibit 4
http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82197&d=1141512938
exhibit 5
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39250000/jpg/_39250720_cry_afp200x245.jpg

Clara Bow
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I have no problem with people who are emotional- as several of my family members are. . And I like that it shows that JMdP gives a rat's rear end about his career. Some folks can still care greatly and not cry- but for others- it can be a release.

Even Borg cried when he was first starting out. There was a biography of him that aired on the Tennis Channel a year or so ago and it showed one time when he lost a tournament and he was standing at the trophy ceremony- tears running down his face.

tangerine_dream
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
lol Del Potro crying again.
Missed you in the Roddick-Gonzo thread.

Corey Feldman
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
tears of joy is different

Cafisho
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
He's an emotional guy, nothing wrong with that.

Denaon
09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
:lol:
Machism is still around us...why wouldn't a teenager cry if he needs to...I'm certain he would have prefered to cry alone, not in front of the cameras...but he could not control it...nothing to be ashamed of...

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
tears of joy is different

i cried once... but, it was about a cricket ball and no groin protection...

poor bastard...

hey... any of you brit guys been watching Sky Sports News...? They have andy's victory on there, of course ... but also on high rotation - with equal time given it - is Del Potro emotionally breaking in two... like every 30 minutes :lol: ... magic... the brit media are wallowing in this heartbreak...

Clydey
09-04-2008, 07:33 PM

i cried once... but, it was about a cricket ball and no groin protection...

poor bastard...

hey... any of you brit guys been watching Sky Sports News...? They have andy's victory on there, of course ... but also on high rotation - with equal time given it - is Del Potro emotionally breaking in two... like every 30 minutes :lol: ... magic... the brit media are wallowing in this heartbreak...

Noticed that. JMDP's emotional breakdown is on a constant loop. While you feel for the guy, it's hilarious that Sky are making sure everyone in Britain gets a chance to see him sobbing.

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
the picture in my mind of the muscle-flex + the sobbing just reeks of typical highlander superiority... its all about christopher lambert here... murray is just a standover man...

intimidating guy...

Hendu
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Great showing in the US Open by Del Potro, now it's time to rest for the DC semis.

Murray has a shot at the title.

finishingmove
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
the picture in my mind of the muscle-flex + the sobbing just reeks of typical highlander superiority... its all about christopher lambert here... murray is just a standover man...

intimidating guy...

Clydey
09-04-2008, 07:51 PM

intimidating guy...

That evokes memories of Christopher Lambert's awesome French/Canadian/Scottish accent. "Zer can be only one, oui?"

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Instead of sitting there making goofy jokes and saying he's just happy he made it to the QFs and had a great run and he's happy with his performance, well fuck the QFs, he wanted to win the whole goddamn thing and he's beyond gutted he didn't. :rocker2: It's been a rollercoaster for him the past couple months, winning 4 tournaments in a row, everyone touting him as a dark horse to win the whole thing, getting treated like a rockstar everywhere he goes.

Michael Schumacher is still the GOAT. :worship:

WnpS-9Er16Y