Length of matches [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Length of matches

out_here_grindin
09-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I think tennis matches have gotten to long lately. Whether it be Nadal and Djokovic waiting till January too serve or just the length of points.

Right now Del Porto and Murray have taken 2 hours to play 2 sets.
Djokovic took an eternity to beat Cilic.

what do you think?

Sunset of Age
09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
So you don't like long and thus tight matches between two close-to-equal players, but rather watch a lopsided bagle-dishing out??? Can't disagree with you more.

The time-wasting some players apply is a completely different matter, and should be dealt with by the umpires according to the rules of the game...

out_here_grindin
09-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I like tight matches, but it is taking too long to complete just 2 sets!

RagingLamb
09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
You could look up match lengths for maybe a tournament or two and compare them over the years and that would give you a more definite answer.

But it would take a long time.

FedererGrandSlam
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Well a few decades ago players didn't sit down during changeover and took like 10 seconds between points, so matches were much much shorter.

It is a bit excessive nowadays.

fast_clay
09-03-2008, 11:03 PM
i enjoy a long slogfest... but then again.. i am a tennis fan...

out_here_grindin
09-03-2008, 11:05 PM
i enjoy a long slogfest... but then again.. i am a tennis fan...

me too. I am not a fan of ball dribbling and towel wiping.

Burrow
A match can never be too long.

fast_clay
Well a few decades ago players didn't sit down during changeover and took like 10 seconds between points, so matches were much much shorter.

It is a bit excessive nowadays.

well... a couple of decades ago there were little timing rules, and virtually no systems in place for excessive arguing and gamesmanship...

if anything... the game is more sterile for the rules...

but... for sure djok and nadal arent policed by the rules for some reason...

fast_clay
09-03-2008, 11:07 PM
me too. I am not a fan of ball dribbling and towel wiping.

i will agree with you about only one thing... that the timing rules in place are not applied to two players... they have bent the rules over time so carefully, that, its a force that umpires are now finding hard to stop...

some umpires have balls tho... and do call it... rarely...

fast_clay
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
A match can never be too long.

i enjoy the drama that slowly turns into a mini-series over two nights halfway thru showing...

out_here_grindin
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
The towel wiping is annoying, I mean how much sweay can you accumulate in a single point? It's just OCD at that point.

bluefork
09-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Definitely the dead time during Nadal's (and some others') matches gets annoying. After he finishes a point, he goes to the back of the court, towels off, takes his time picking out a ball, steps up to the line, adjusts his pants, bounces the ball a bunch of times, and then finally hits his serve. And even if the point only lasts one shot, he goes through the whole routine again. Maybe if the ATP wants to make tennis more exciting for new fans, they would actually penalize Rafa for taking too much time.

Acer
09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Well yeh sometimes I can't be arsed watching a 3+ hour match, specially when it's someone I don't really care about. I have to get up and do something in between.

Stensland
09-03-2008, 11:28 PM
did my post get deleted? :confused:

if so, why?

RagingLamb
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
did my post get deleted? :confused:

if so, why?

yes, due to the discussion of a live match. if you'd used it to make a point in general I would have let it stand. But you didn't.

delpiero7
09-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Exactly 3 hours for 3 sets, and the show goes on

Neely
09-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Completely that a two tiebreak sets need about 2 hours.

spriwi
09-03-2008, 11:50 PM
the longer the better :drool:

MrChopin
09-03-2008, 11:51 PM
The fifth set tiebreak rivals our greatest scientific achievements. edit: This is a general statement with respect to no single or current match.

finishingmove
09-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I think tennis matches have gotten to long lately.

what do you think?

its because all surfaces are slow.

speed up the surfaces

bring baack serve and volleyyyy

;)

JimmyV
09-04-2008, 05:53 AM
When did all these horrible posters come out of the woodwork? Out here grindin and cyrusking are 10 times worse than clay death ever was.

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 05:54 AM
When did all these horrible posters come out of the woodwork? Out here grindin and cyrusking are 10 times worse than clay death ever was.

They want to do well in the Arse Clown Contest.

fast_clay
09-04-2008, 06:02 AM
They want to do well in the Arse Clown Contest.

must be getting close to nominations is it...?

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 06:03 AM
must be getting close to nominations is it...?

Once the US Open is done, then the nominations will be open and there must be links to the posts.

Naranoc
09-04-2008, 06:05 AM
So many potential contenders for this year's ACC, a lot of them having just joined in the last few months but made a name for themselves already. Looking forward to it :yeah:

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 06:08 AM
Clown Death and Zeke were the big guns.

l_mac
09-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Clown Death and Zeke were the big guns.

Can't CD still be entered? He's not perma banned.

groundstroke
09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I like it when Nadal or Djokovic win a long match - they're tired in the next match therefore they try and win it more quickly. Federer is never tired..

MacTheKnife
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I absolutely love long matches. One of my fav matches ever was a McEnroe v Wilander Davis cup match that started at 4pm and went until after 10pm. It was friggin awesome. To me, the longer the match goes, the more the players have invested in it, and the more devastating it is to lose, and gratifying it is to win.

I don't even mind the towel thing, I've been known to do a little stalling myself in long tight matches. I have no desire to speed anything up. If I ever want a faster sport, I'll become a BMX fan or something.

JimmyV
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Long matches like the Wimbledon final this year just serve as a sleep aid, give me real tennis like Smeets Berdych at the French this year.

Truc
09-04-2008, 07:05 PM
When did all these horrible posters come out of the woodwork? Out here grindin and cyrusking are 10 times worse than clay death ever was.Wow. And then the inevitable ACC talk.
What is wrong with out_here_grindin's posts? I don't see it.

It was a pain indeed to watch Delpo's towel routine in slow motion for 3 hours, they really need to speed up the game a little bit, I was bored to tears too.