I Hate the U.S. Open: an Embarssment to Grand Slam Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I Hate the U.S. Open: an Embarssment to Grand Slam Tennis

Pages : [1] 2

sawan66278
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
After attending the U.S. Open for the eighth year in a row this week...I have come to the conclusion. I will never attend again. First, my streak of me watching a Rafa match and him losing is over. But here are the reasons why I will never attend again:

1. The U.S. Open has transformed into the modern NBA. Loud, obnoxious music played during timeouts...having to watch aristocratic, drunk people in the stands make fools of themselves...AND,ironically generally only when an American player does something of significance (after a break, etc.)

2. The restrooms are disgustingly dirty...the filthiest of any sporting event in the States

3. The knowledge of attendees is the lowest in all of tennis...the vast majority of fans don't know anything about the players...or even how to keep score.

4. There is nothing fan friendly for KIDS. They've taken out the games (like the speed gun, return of serve system, etc.)...and have built some USTA monstrosity in the former location of the Kids Center.

5. There is nothing set up to handle the heat for the common fans...and yet, if you're high roller with, say, American Express, you get a fan...and even, under certain circumstances, a monitor to watch the other matches.

6. The outer courts utilize benches you'd find at your local high school.

7. The weather has been wonderful...but why no roof? Wimbledon can do it, but the USTA can't?

8. There is no challenge system on the Grandstand. Why?

9. The practice courts that most of the top players use is "protected" by shrubbery so no fans can see a thing.

10. The food is awful...overpriced, and barely "local movie theater" quality.

11. The number of 50-year old women trying to hold onto the last vestiges of their youth by dressing like their teenage daughters is pathetic. Their leathery, tan skin looks reptilian and frightening.

12. The lower level seating, especially the corporate boxes, is mostly empty during the day.

13. The J-Block, need I say more?

14. Didn't you get the memo? The script says requires that Andy Roddick make it to the second week regardless of what happens.

15. The USTA does NOTHING to bring in minorities to the event. And yet, the main stadium is named after Arthur Ashe. The only area whiter in the States is Fargo, ND in the winter.

16. You'd find better landscaping in the inner cities of Camden, NJ.

17. The most beautiful architectural work is actually from the 1964 World's Fair.

18. By the way, did you know that Davis Cup is on display there? No...neither did I until I had gone home.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pea
09-02-2008, 07:56 PM
You couldn't find just 2 more reasons? :mad:

Xristos
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
You mad?

Beforehand
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
:lol:

Deboogle!.
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
wow, someone's awfully bitter :lol:

sawan66278
09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
You couldn't find just 2 more reasons? :mad:

Feel free to contribute.

dam0dred
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Testify!!

r2473
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I think you forgot to bitch about ticket prices.

TMJordan
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
The man makes some good points.

Fumus
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Most of the complaints you have are just general sporting event issues. The US OPEN rocks...the place is magnificent. It's like a tennis festival.

Although the Austrialian is my favorite slam.

scoobs
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I thought the idea was to go and watch some tennis :shrug:

zeleni
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Let us organize Grand Slam "Serbia Open" instead USO, and we shall make sawan and his whole family special guests forever.:D

ryan23
09-02-2008, 08:23 PM
You gotta love the time and effort of the orignal post theres some very valid reasons there

LleytonMonfils
09-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Are you sure you live in the United States? This is what makes the US Open so special. You have the Aussie Open down under, which is sort of the chill hard court slam. You've got the French Open which is clay so that alone speaks for itself. Then off to Wimbledon grass where it is much more formal and linked to tradition. Wrap it all up with the US Open, a slam that is sort of like a party. Do you watch sports in America? This is what it is like.

Each slam has its own character I don't see why you are hating so much. I just don't understand your complaints. Get some cheese with that whine. While your at it get a passport and move to another country.

Honestly if I was there I'd enjoy a few ice cold beers with my friends and would get into the matches. Be loud, have fun, and enjoy the experience. Thats what it is AN EXPERIENCE!

smitty8
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
You do have some points I agree with. The only other time I've been to the US Open was 13 years ago, before Ashe was finished and everything was changed around. I liked it better then. After my first day, I was very ready to say I'm not coming back for another 13 years, since I get a better experience in Cincy and even Washington (shocking). I am now considering just going for qualies and maybe a few days of the first week of US Open next year to see how different it is then compared to Labor Day weekend (and yes, I was there Labor Day weekend 13 years ago).

I absolutely HATE the maze of bushes around the outer courts! You cannot see through them unless there is a dead spot and you crouch down to see through it. All the big names play on the very last practice court all the way on the end, so you either see a tiny spot from the one open end with the tall fence or you have to stand with the mob on the bleachers of the one nearby court to see.

It's too damn crowded! I guess that's a good thing for the tournament, means that they are selling all their tickets, but for the fan, you are constantly in some sort of long line to get into the place, to get your bag checked, to get water, to go to the bathroom, to get into a court, to get food, to get anything. All sorts of slow people and people just randomly standing right in the middle of a walkway chatting. People who have no idea who any players are or anything about scoring. Idiot parents who don't bring a pen for their kids who want autographs, then ask to borrow yours (what do I say, hell no?) and ruin MY chances of autographs on something I wanted while their kids get one on a crappy piece of notepad? These kids don't even know who the hell these players are! Stay at home, morons.

The bleachers are horribly uncomfortable, no seat backs. I have a bad back, so sitting there for hours about killed me. Too many stairs to climb; I have a heart condition and there were times I used that excuse to get into restricted elevators to keep from climbing 5+ flights of stairs in Armstrong and Ashe.

The bathrooms aren't the worst I've seen, but there were a bunch of them that were broken and going out of service and closed off.

The food at all tennis events I've been to has been pretty bad and expensive, no difference here.

I knew the Davis Cup was there and found it, also found the US Open trophies on display. The statues from the World's Fair are very nice, but you have to trek through the park to get to them. However, the lines to get in on that side are very short, I used that entrance twice out of 4 days.

The one thing I did like was the little TVs you get if you have an AmEx card. That wound up being the very first thing I went to get every day I was there. The batteries died after about 6 hours, which is not good if you have a great front row seat at Grandstand or another great seat at Armstrong and have no one to save your seat to go get another battery. Maybe they need another kiosk closer to those courts so I didn't have to trek across past the food court to get the new battery. However, that little TV was the best thing about the entire tournament. I want one of my own if it worked anywhere, giving me live coverage of 5 or 6 courts and live scores. The only thing it needed was a completed match score section. The little radios were ok, too, best for when the TV battery died.

There needs to be more shade! That probably goes for every tournament.

I managed to snag terrific box seats for 2 sessions on Ashe from Ticketmaster, so yes, the average fan CAN get a great seat if you have the money ($600 for day session, $300-$400 for night, damn expensive, I can go to the entire Washington tourney in the box seats for one day session ticket). Grounds passes are awesome if you are willing to see someone who isn't American or Federer or Nadal or Djokovic.

MacTheKnife
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Then don't go and don't watch it.

JimmyV
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I went twice last week, it was awesome. I got three fans, for free, and I just had grounds passes......

I get the feeling your not a very fun person to hang out with.

JimmyV
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Why doesn't this McDonalds carry lobster and fettuccine alfredo, and why are so many people eating here?????

I'm enraged and am going to write long lists on the internet and inadvertently embarrass myself due to my own stupidity and pomposity.

bjurra
09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
After attending the U.S. Open for the eighth year in a row this week...I have come to the conclusion. I will never attend again. First, my streak of me watching a Rafa match and him losing is over. But here are the reasons why I will never attend again:

1. The U.S. Open has transformed into the modern NBA. Loud, obnoxious music played during timeouts...having to watch aristocratic, drunk people in the stands make fools of themselves...AND,ironically generally only when an American player does something of significance (after a break, etc.)

2. The restrooms are disgustingly dirty...the filthiest of any sporting event in the States

3. The knowledge of attendees is the lowest in all of tennis...the vast majority of fans don't know anything about the players...or even how to keep score.

4. There is nothing fan friendly for KIDS. They've taken out the games (like the speed gun, return of serve system, etc.)...and have built some USTA monstrosity in the former location of the Kids Center.

5. There is nothing set up to handle the heat for the common fans...and yet, if you're high roller with, say, American Express, you get a fan...and even, under certain circumstances, a monitor to watch the other matches.

7. The weather has been wonderful...but why no roof? Wimbledon can do it, but the USTA can't?

9. The practice courts that most of the top players use is "protected" by shrubbery so no fans can see a thing.

11. The number of 50-year old women trying to hold onto the last vestiges of their youth by dressing like their teenage daughters is pathetic. Their leathery, tan skin looks reptilian and frightening.

12. The lower level seating, especially the corporate boxes, is mostly empty during the day.

14. Didn't you get the memo? The script says requires that Andy Roddick make it to the second week regardless of what happens.

15. The USTA does NOTHING to bring in minorities to the event. And yet, the main stadium is named after Arthur Ashe. The only area whiter in the States is Fargo, ND in the winter.

17. The most beautiful architectural work is actually from the 1964 World's Fair.

18. By the way, did you know that Davis Cup is on display there? No...neither did I until I had gone home.

1. Partly agree, but I also find the lively atmosphere exciting at times.

2. The restrooms are terrible, only Rome has worse restrooms.

3. You might be right but I don't care.

4. There is very little for kids at FO and Wimbledon too.

5. I agree. However, the heat at the US Open is rarely unbearable, unlike AO, Washington or Miami.

6. You haven't been to many tournaments, have you?

7. The US Open does not need a roof. Waste of money.

8. Same as other GS.

9. I understand your pov but as a player I would like to practice undisturbed, especially if my name is Serena or Fedex or Rafa.

10. The US Open food is better than the food at other GS.

11. Hehe, I don't think that problem applies particularly to the US Open?

12. That is not a US Open specific problem.

13. I hear you.

14. Gilles Muller didn't read that memo a few years back.

15-18. No comment.

Jimnik
09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Is this what GM has been reduced to?

savesthedizzle
09-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Tip on the bathrooms for you...

If you're around the outside courts, go to the ones kind of behind the food court, by court 13, 14 etc. There are bathrooms back there that seemingly NO ONE knows about. They are bigger than the other ones, no line, and since no one uses them, much much cleaner ;)

Although I do agree about the seating on the outside courts. Seating at Wimbledon is much nicer with the actual seats, even on the little courts, rather than the uncomfortable bleachers.

And you didn't know the Davis Cup was there? :scratch: Are you the kind of person who mostly sits on Ashe? Because I am more of an outside court person, I didn't go into Ashe at all this year even though I had tickets for it... and I could not miss the Davis Cup :lol:

I also agree on #11. One of my pet peeves of attending tennis events are the people who dress as if they are about to play tennis. I don't understand it. Why do you go to the USO in your little tennis skort and athletic tank. Or your short little tennis dress. Serena Williams is not going to ask you to hit with her. Anyway, I think these people are the worst culprits. Because they're around 60, leathery skin from playing every day at their country club or what have you, and walking around in their little tennis outfit. Please just wear shorts/pants and a normal top like a normal spectator. *end rant*

smitty8
09-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I forgot about no challenges on Grandstand. I was told (not sure if this is accurate) that it will have challenges next year. Would be a good thing because I was sitting on the front row on the baseline 2 days there and saw many bad calls made.

savesthedizzle
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
No challenges on Grandstand is pretty much nonsensical. There are the big screens on that court. They better have it there next year. Easy improvement.

moon language
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Can't say I agree with many of the points. I find it fun and the crowd on Armstrong has been knowledgable and cool evey time I've been there. Ashe is pretty bizarre at night and the view from the upper level blows so I avoid it.

I do agree that in some ways the production of the event is a bit loud and obnoxious, however if it were really toned down and "classy" then it might make it appeal even more to the "aristocratic" as you put it.

dkw
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I usually go every year as well but the last couple of years ... I don't know??

Last year the reserved seating in Amstrong really pissed me off. You have to pay $40 more to sit in the blazing sun?

Then this year it seems they sold off a big bulk of thier tickets to electronic outlets. In prior years I could come to the stadium a few hours early and get tickets for the same day.

I went out on Friday night after work and not only were all the tickets sold out for that night's session, the Monday day session was sold out as well but you could go to TicketNow and get the same tickets for some ridiculously inflated price.

Anyways I shouldn't complain too much as I eventually got into the staduim for free on Friday night - to see Safin lose like a punk!

Albop
09-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Half of the forum will love to be in your place sawan.

Snoo Foo
09-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I had an awesome time, I went for 12 days in a row this year (including qualleez, kids day, open practice, plus 6 days of tourney). I had no problem with the toilets or the benches or the shrubbery or whatever the hell. The Davis Cup was impossible to miss unless you were cloistered in Ashe the whole time and didn't walk around the grounds. The worst part about it is just the crowds but that's why I don't bother after the first week. I love matches on the outer courts cuz I like having my face about a yard from the baseline and I can't afford good seats in Ashe. Twice when I was there (del Potro-Canyas and Safin-Robredo) they let the peasants sit in the boxes in Armstrong (practically on court) cuz nobody was there.

Qualleez was free and it was almost as good if not better than the 6 days of the actual tournament. :haha:

In those 12 days I didn't spend one dime on food or beverage on campus. The night of Roddick-Gulbis I almost caved but they were out of soft pretzels.

I love that the other people don't know anything about tennis cuz (a) it makes me sound like a genius and (b) it provides additional free entertainment (Patty Schnyder is American, men play to 6 games in a set but women only play to 5, Rafael Nadal is from Argentina, Lucho won the gold medal at the olympics...)

alfonsojose
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
mUg'S Open :lol:

mariyella80
09-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I think the AMEX CARD thing is biased for receiving the mini tv set, they should let anyone whose willing to pay get one.....if you want to see good tennis you HAVE TO PAY....and the top players practice on the court furtherest from the fans cause they DONT WANT TO BE DISTURBED, remember this is business for them.....as for the fence where u cant see, they have bleachers set up for where u can see....and if you REEEEALLY WANT one on one time with your favourite player come qualifying week, not many folks (just devout fans), you can see them practise court side and they're in BETTER moods most of the time, and MORE WILLING to take a pic with you....if that doesnt work for you FIND A COOL/RICH FRIEND that has access to the player's lounge.....otherwise you better be the player's FRIEND or FAMILY memember.....and for those who dont know about players THAT'S THERE LOSS, OUTSIDE COURTS ARE FUN, more like a football crowd and the heat WELL ITS SUMMER TIME IN NYC DEAL WITH IT LOL :)

Thanos
09-02-2008, 11:28 PM

:lol: So your saying there is a number of walking handbags at the us open??

I've never been to a grand slam, but from what you've written is something that is expected.

If something is a big event, these things will occur regardless.

guga2120
09-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Just watching it on TV, the music played is a joke.

LucasArg
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
US Open is and will be forever my favorite tournament.
The atmosphere in the Arthut Ashe is just amazing.

savesthedizzle
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
I had an awesome time, I went for 12 days in a row this year (including qualleez, kids day, open practice, plus 6 days of tourney). I had no problem with the toilets or the benches or the shrubbery or whatever the hell. The Davis Cup was impossible to miss unless you were cloistered in Ashe the whole time and didn't walk around the grounds. The worst part about it is just the crowds but that's why I don't bother after the first week. I love matches on the outer courts cuz I like having my face about a yard from the baseline and I can't afford good seats in Ashe. Twice when I was there (del Potro-Canyas and Safin-Robredo) they let the peasants sit in the boxes in Armstrong (practically on court) cuz nobody was there.

Qualleez was free and it was almost as good if not better than the 6 days of the actual tournament. :haha:

In those 12 days I didn't spend one dime on food or beverage on campus. The night of Roddick-Gulbis I almost caved but they were out of soft pretzels.

I love that the other people don't know anything about tennis cuz (a) it makes me sound like a genius and (b) it provides additional free entertainment (Patty Schnyder is American, men play to 6 games in a set but women only play to 5, Rafael Nadal is from Argentina, Lucho won the gold medal at the olympics...)

Apparently Sergiy Stakhovsky is American too according to what I overhear :D

Also Cibulkova and Safarova are Russians :D

Oh, and me and Adam and our friend have started cheering the chair umpires when announced, since they get no love. And we were at one of the matches on Armstrong yesterday, I forget which one of the WTA ones it was when this happened... but hahaha we cheering for Mariana Alves :tape: :tape: just to be a tad obnoxious, and people turned around and said, "OH! YOU GUYS MUST BE PORTUGUESE!" :haha:

Anyway, I love laughing at what I overhear, so that doesn't bug me one bit ;)

Love quallies though :hearts: I went a total of only 4 days this year (Quallies Thursday, Monday-Wednesday, Second Monday) but I had a good time :)

JimmyV
09-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Having been there I just don't understand how anyone could miss the Davis Cup display, I mean seriously did you have trouble finding Ashe stadium as well?

smitty8
09-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I think the AMEX CARD thing is biased for receiving the mini tv set, they should let anyone whose willing to pay get one

Well, you have to have the card to put down a $350 deposit in case you don't return it by the end of the day. They also run out, so you're not guaranteed to get one even if you have a card, you have to get there early. What I thought was insane is that people were getting 2 or 3 (or more) because they had a personal card, their spouse had another card, and they had a business card (or cardS). It was one per card.

Yeah, it's hot, but I've been to Washington and Cincy and those are hot too. I think it would be better to have more shade at all those places. They have a nice tent over part of the food court seating in Cincy, they should have something like that in NYC, they just have some umbrellas on some of the tables.

I think there are little things that can be changed at all the tourneys.

fast_clay
09-03-2008, 12:07 AM
yes... maybe the germans will buy the US Open next year... :lol:

smitty8
09-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Having been there I just don't understand how anyone could miss the Davis Cup display, I mean seriously did you have trouble finding Ashe stadium as well?

They must not have walked around the grounds. I also heard an announcement that the Davis Cup was on display and where it was located.

bluefork
09-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I've never been to the U.S. Open; the only sporting event I've been to in the U.S. is the tournament in Cincy. Still, I can sympathize with you on some points.

I can't stand the people who just come to the tournament to have a party. You can party anywhere, so why come to a tennis tournament if you don't really care about the tennis? I also hate how the big wigs who have the courtside seats almost never come during the day session. Wouldn't the tournament want to fill up the lower tier of seating so it looks fuller on TV?

I know what you're talking about when it come to the leathery middle aged women, too. But that's more of a social problem than a tennis problem I think. :)

And as for the food, yeah, it's bad. I went to the tournament in Montreal a few years ago and they were sponsored by Tropicana orange juice, so it was nice to actually be able to consume something with some nutritional value. But in Cincy the food isn't especially good, is bad for you, and is too pricey.

I'd definitely never go to the U.S. Open, and I'm think of not going to Cincy next year either. I would like to visit Wimbledon at some point though. Can anyone who has been there compare it to the U.S. Open?

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Lady tennis fans are extra leathery cuz they tan their hides playing doubles every morning.

Corey Feldman
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM

11. The number of 50-year old women trying to hold onto the last vestiges of their youth by dressing like their teenage daughters is pathetic. Their leathery, tan skin looks reptilian and frightening.these were my favorites :lol:

freeandlonely
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm interested how bad are the restrooms?
Most USA gym looking beautiful ON TV for me,
I don't know the inner part.

savesthedizzle
09-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm interested how bad are the restrooms?
Most USA gym looking beautiful ON TV for me,
I don't know the inner part.

They aren't THAT bad I don't think. At least not the outer ones, and especially not my "secret" ones.

I have a feeling sawan is speaking of the Ashe bathrooms, which I don't use :shrug: so I can't really say.

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Is sawan a female or a male? maybe it's the men's toilets that are filthy. The women's were fine, I mostly went to the ones behind the food courts which nobody seemed to know exist.

MusicMyst
09-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Women's bathrooms have been fine every time I've gone to the USO. Can't speak to the men's room, however. :lol:

savesthedizzle
09-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Is sawan a female or a male? maybe it's the men's toilets that are filthy. The women's were fine, I mostly went to the ones behind the food courts which nobody seemed to know exist.

:worship: Those are my secret ones I used too :)

They are cleaner than the ones by Courts 7 or 11, but it's not like those ones are BAD.

The men's bathrooms were the ones with the ridiculous queues too, which I don't totally understand :rolls: Usually it's the ladies, but the lines there were not too bad, while the men's would be around 50 people long :scratch:

I think what it probably is, is that the guys are drinking too much beer and therefore have to go more than the women. :shrug: :lol:

MusicMyst
09-03-2008, 12:36 AM
The atmosphere on the outer courts, especially at night, is much better than on Ashe or even Armstrong. When two South Americans are playing each other, their supporters are always getting into it and jawing at one another, and the players look at them with these STFU expressions. It's great stuff. :lol:

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 12:37 AM
What was really funny to see was players being escorted to the front of the long lines when they had to take a piss break during a match on the outer courts.

savesthedizzle
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
What was really funny to see was players being escorted to the front of the long lines when they had to take a piss break during a match on the outer courts.

I almost ran over Kirilenko once from that. I was exiting the bathroom and turning right, and she was being escorted in. :rolls: so I didn't see her as I was turning. It was almost disastrous. :rolls:

freeandlonely
09-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Now you make me want a restroom photo.:lol:

Thanos
09-03-2008, 12:47 AM
I almost ran over Kirilenko once from that. I was exiting the bathroom and turning right, and she was being escorted in. :rolls: so I didn't see her as I was turning. It was almost disastrous. :rolls:

was she as attractive in person as she is on tv??

savesthedizzle
09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
was she as attractive in person as she is on tv??

Oh yes :lol: I've seen Kirilenko many times. :lol: :inlove:

Here's one I took at her match. After I almost ran her down, I decided to go watch her woeful attempt to beat Paszek. :tape:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procgtaserv/47b8d609b3127cce985488d72adc00000046101AaN2Thq1bsV

Forehander
09-03-2008, 01:03 AM
You have some good points. But that's America.

ChinoRios4Ever
09-03-2008, 01:10 AM
lol

schorsch
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM
Why dont you just think about all of your points and which ones are the most important ones etc. and then send this list to the USO staff?

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 01:43 AM
You have some good points. But that's America.

That's right, we don't need no goddamn cushy benches or artsy fartsy landscaping. We like our music obnoxious, our toilets dirty and our women leathery. And we will spend $13 on a martini if we damn well feel like it cuz we like to get fucked up and watch tennis and we don't know what the hell is going on anyway. :yeah:

savesthedizzle
09-03-2008, 01:44 AM
That's right, we don't need no goddamn cushy benches or artsy fartsy landscaping. We like our music obnoxious, our toilets dirty and our women leathery. And we will spend $13 on a martini if we damn well feel like it cuz we like to get fucked up and watch tennis and we don't know what the hell is going on anyway. :yeah:

:worship: :worship:

redreef
09-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Regarding #11, totally insulting (and sexist) remark.

smitty8
09-03-2008, 02:08 AM

:worship: Ain't that the truth?

As for the women's bathrooms I saw, they were ok. It got worse as the weekend went on because some were clogging up and breaking. The lady attendants were on the ball making sure there was toilet paper in the stalls and all that. The worst ones I saw were at the Grandstand. The two I went to in Ashe were on the first level, where the tickets are priciest, those were the nicest and cleanest.

Yeah, the men's restrooms had as long lines as the women! I think it must've been all the beer.

nsidhan
09-03-2008, 02:15 AM
I was just there at the Open yesterday - Saturday through Monday. What I found MOST annoying was the scoreboard at Ashe. We had seats at the nose bleed section and could HARDLY see the scores. The display was SO tiny. During the Jankovic-Wozniacki match yesterday morning, the score was not even displayed unil the last set!!! Horrible.

Yes the food was TERRIBLE and INSANELY OVERPRICED. We just refilled our water bottles at the fountain. Otherwise they cost $3.75 - $5. Food prices cost almost double and tasted twice as bad. Even the pizza...which I thought was a safe choice was bad.

All the AmEx card holders SUCK!

I have been to the Cincy Open. Food wasn't that great but was better.

From what I have seen on TV, the Australian Open looks like it is a lot of fun. Hopefully that will be my next slam.

But inspite of all this, I do think the Open is well organized, I like the music at the change overs and most of all I like that they hire stupid people to check tickets ;).

CHE CHE CHE...LE LE LE...VIVA CHILE!!! Love the Chilean crowd!

GlennMirnyi
09-03-2008, 02:21 AM

You deserve an answer:

3. Of course. If you're there, the mean tennis knowledge of the tournament descends at least 50 IQ points.

4. We all knew you were 11. :D

About the rest: you're a whiner. What do you want? :rolleyes:

sawan66278
09-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Well, to begin...I'm male...and, if I had a dollar for every man who walked out without washing his hands, I'd be rich.

The tourney is a GRAND SLAM...I don't want to hear about the Masters series tourneys or D.C.-level tourneys...Yes, there have been incredible matches, but there is SO MUCH they can do to improve the experience for all fans...and yet, the don't...because they don't have too. But then, they try to act like they're empathetic do-gooders, by going "green":rolleyes:

Two other points to add to the list:

19. You can't bring in a backpack, but you can buy one of theirs for $70.00.
20. After 6:00 PM, if you have tickets to the day session, you can't leave unless you get a stamp and have a ticket..but, unlike an amusement park, no real information is given about where and when to get the stamp.
21. Tickets are sold to ticket brokers (aka scalpers in cahoots with the USTA)...who try to gouge fans who want to see other sessions.
22. None of the vendors or tourney assistants know where anything is...you're on your own about trying to find out what and where everything is at this event

And Glenn, this is for you:

23. They accidentally put WTA tour players in the men's draw (see Radek Stepanek).

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 03:31 AM
20. After 6:00 PM, if you have tickets to the day session, you can't leave unless you get a stamp and have a ticket..but, unlike an amusement park, no real information is given about where and when to get the stamp.

Errr, the super-secret location for where to get the magic stamp is: at the exit! The super-secret time for when to get the magic stamp is: when you're exiting! Completely bizarre concept, I know.

Fee
09-03-2008, 03:32 AM
I went to the US Open in 2005 and I was sorely disappointed in the overall experience (and have not renewed my USTA membership since). Overall, it is not a fan friendly tournament, Cincy and Indian Wells are much better. I don't have all of the same complaints as Sawan, but I can completely understand where he is coming from.

IDJ49
09-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Well, to begin...I'm male...and, if I had a dollar for every man who walked out without washing his hands, I'd be rich.

The tourney is a GRAND SLAM...I don't want to hear about the Masters series tourneys or D.C.-level tourneys...Yes, there have been incredible matches, but there is SO MUCH they can do to improve the experience for all fans...and yet, the don't...because they don't have too. But then, they try to act like they're empathetic do-gooders, by going "green":rolleyes:

Two other points to add to the list:

19. You can't bring in a backpack, but you can buy one of theirs for $70.00.
21. Tickets are sold to ticket brokers (aka scalpers in cahoots with the USTA)...who try to gouge fans who want to see other sessions.
22. None of the vendors or tourney assistants know where anything is...you're on your own about trying to find out what and where everything is at this event

And Glenn, this is for you:

23. They accidentally put WTA tour players in the men's draw (see Radek Stepanek).

19. There are several warnings about not being allowed to have backpacks so if you didn't pay attention and brought one anyway then you pay the consequences.

20. When you exit during the day I have always been told that if I wanted to return that I needed to have my hand stamped. The people working the gates stamp you.

22. In all of my years of attending the US Open I have never found anyone as incompetent as you are indicating. I don't know what you were looking for but all seemed to have basic knowledge about anything I had to ask them.

mariyella80
09-03-2008, 04:00 AM
what exactly do you guys WANT court side seats in ashe for $20 GET OUT HERE......and food is always overpriced at sporting events that's NOTHING NEW!!!! y'all are a bunch of cheap skates, as for fan experience, COME QUALIFYING WEEK IT'S FREE AND YOU SEE THEM PRACTICE COURTSIDE what more do u want....I dont get it.....TO SEE A TOP PLAYER PLAY UPCLOSE IN ANY SPORT YOU HAAAAAAVE TO PAY!!!! but I hear the frustration with those who have courtside seats and dont EXACTLY attend, fact is the tournament doesnt really CARE because the money has been received.....

JimmyV
09-03-2008, 04:06 AM
LOL this guy is such an idiot it's just kind of depressing. Sawan please just let this thread sink and stop embarrassing yourself.

Everything you've complained about is either common knowledge/the same at any other tournament or public gathering/or just complete retardation on your part.

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 04:10 AM
How could you come to this event for 8 years without figuring out where to get your hand stamped? Or that backpacks are forbidden (as they have been for the past few years if not longer)?

GlennMirnyi
09-03-2008, 04:13 AM
How could you come to this event for 8 years without figuring out where to get your hand stamped? Or that backpacks are forbidden (as they have been for the past few years if not longer)?

Because it's a lie mate.

smitty8
09-03-2008, 04:18 AM
One thing I learned this weekend is that if you only have a night session Ashe ticket, you CANNOT get into Armstrong if there is a match going on after 6pm. I had to get my grounds pass out so many times just to get inside. I think that is the best ticket out there (grounds pass). Second best is Ashe day session ticket. Night session is only worth it if there is someone you really want to cough up the dough for. I bought one thinking Nadal was going to play at night only to be sorely disappointed in Blake and Fish (sometimes you have to chance buying that ticket when it pops up a couple of days before, especially when every time I was checking they were telling me Saturday was completely sold out).

I also am not too sure of the resale thing. It's nice to actually have a place to buy and sell, but some of those tickets were being jacked up, one I was looking at was 4X what it's supposed to be.

Thanos
09-03-2008, 04:23 AM

this could probably explain
http://www.anonymousspace.com/albums/userpics/112625/normal_CocaineRickJames.jpg

Lucinda
09-03-2008, 04:27 AM
I've only been to one tournament, Indian Wells, but it was FANtastic, with the emphasis on FAN! As a spectator I found everything to be wonderful. I had none of the complaints the OP has about the US Open. For a big tournament, I think IW is pretty great for the fans - but they need to make sure that more than %50 of the drinking fountains are working. I can't believe some of you have been going to the US Open for 10+ years *jealous*, but I can definitely see myself going back to Indian Wells year after year. Fee, I'll be there in 2009!!! :banana:

rafa_maniac
09-03-2008, 04:33 AM
It's easily my least favourite of the slams, but in terms of the matches and opennes of contenders, i'm actually loving it this year.

sawan66278
09-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Because it's a lie mate. Um no...just years of built up frustration...about things I thought would be handled properly.

I've only been to one tournament, Indian Wells, but it was FANtastic, with the emphasis on FAN! As a spectator I found everything to be wonderful. I had none of the complaints the OP has about the US Open. For a big tournament, I think IW is pretty great for the fans - but they need to make sure that more than %50 of the drinking fountains are working. I can't believe some of you have been going to the US Open for 10+ years *jealous*, but I can definitely see myself going back to Indian Wells year after year. Fee, I'll be there in 2009!!! :banana:

Same in Miami, Toronto, and Cincinnati...fan friendly...and many of the problems at the U.S. Open are not present at these Masters series events.

And again, I'm not on drugs...but obviously those who defend the tourney are young people who have the attention span of mating tsetse flies. They probably would have found the Boston Garden archaic and without ambiance.:rolleyes:

Paul Banks
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
One thing I learned this weekend is that if you only have a night session Ashe ticket, you CANNOT get into Armstrong if there is a match going on after 6pm.

Really? :confused:

As for the OP, most of the criticisms either 1) apply to all big sporting events 2) are petty complains.

JolánGagó
09-03-2008, 10:20 AM

hahaha

JolánGagó
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
what exactly do you guys WANT court side seats in ashe for $20 GET OUT HERE......and food is always overpriced at sporting events that's NOTHING NEW!!!! y'all are a bunch of cheap skates, as for fan experience, COME QUALIFYING WEEK IT'S FREE AND YOU SEE THEM PRACTICE COURTSIDE what more do u want....I dont get it.....TO SEE A TOP PLAYER PLAY UPCLOSE IN ANY SPORT YOU HAAAAAAVE TO PAY!!!! but I hear the frustration with those who have courtside seats and dont EXACTLY attend, fact is the tournament doesnt really CARE because the money has been received.....

Do you always have to scream to get your point (if there is any) accross?

tennis2tennis
09-03-2008, 10:27 AM
I’ve only been to Wimbledon of all the slams and your rantspiration is infectious so here goes…

1. Don’t care how over-priced the grub in other Slams is bet you my house which i've had to remortgage for a past sell-by-date sandwich (just ask Marat Safin) it's not as expensive as Wimbledon's.
2. Overweight middle-age women draped head-to-toe in the Union Jack, showing just how ill-fitted their Bras are by convulsing every time a Brit so much as breaks wind let alone converts a break-point!
3. Renaming insignificant locations after insignificant players ala Murray Mount & Henman Hill.
4. Constant reference of historical elitism of the joint “We Get It’s The Oldest Grand Slam!!”
5. Junior players barred from the Pros lounge 'cause they’ll ruin the sofas with their sticky fingers 'n runny noses!

On the bright side...

1. No vocally challenged pre-teens screeching the national anthem
2. No mention of the sum of winner’s cheque in the trophy presentation (so vulgar, sweetie darling) or sponsors queue Sue Barker “we’d like to thank the fans, the players, the ball boys and of course our sponsors Sony, Microsoft, Apple, BMW, USB, DDR, OTT, Doh, WTF, for making this fortnight possible!”
3. Making both sets of family and friends sit together (still waiting though for one of the parents to make the L mark or do the chicken dance in front of the loser’s entourage …)
4. Making players wear white, forcing misuse of imagination to bend the rules or wear monstrosities like this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40621000/jpg/_40621572_white_200x245.jpg)
5. No over-sized centre courts…it’s a tennis court not a coliseum

MusicMyst
09-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I went to Wimbledon once and here are my comments/complaints about it:

When we were on Centre Court, I felt like I was at an AARP meeting -- the average age was about 75. :help:

People were SO QUIET (old folks sleeping?). I've heard more crowd noise at the ballet.

Ladies' rooms were not dirty, but they definitely needed more of them (or the ladies needed to do their business more quickly).

On the bright side, sitting on Henman Hill and chatting with people was loads of fun.

Neely
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Some typical things that you often read about sports events. I understand they all want to earn as much money as possible and thus have no "normal" prices like if you're buying a hotdog around the corner and they don't like people bringing their own food with them, but from times to times some things are still shocking and crazy.

But my merchandising favorites are still the huge tennis balls at Roland Garros (about 35-40 Euro about the size of a handball, and at around 45 Euro for ca. 30cm diameter of size) or the common size tennis balls at like 25 Euro which are used already, but which were allegedly played during a Nadal match (without autograph) :lol:

Snowwy
09-03-2008, 05:49 PM

And how does the NBA do attendance-wise compared to the majority of tennis is the USA?

Its a sporting event, who cares, how much time do you spend in there?

Why does this make you upset, this is funny, people like this are hilirious, maybe you take it a bit to seriously?

Why cant the kids go to the babysitter or even better watch the tennis?

Buy water, or just dont be a baby, we all know you'll complain in a few months its too cold like every other clown in America and Canada so why not enjoy the heat, its the best time of year.

What do you want, leather chairs? I think this gives it a nice feeling and it keeps the ugly 50 year old poorly dressed women you complain about later away ;)

As you said, the weather has been wonderful, its a lot of money for two weeks a year when the weather is often good.

These I dont understand, but really are only minor.

Doesnt it just make you sick.

At least the dont get volenteers to sit in them and cheer randomly like the Chinese do.

Well Blake did us a favor by being himself and losing early so we dont need to worry about them do we?

He's played unbelieable this year, to this otherwise just shows you're a hater.

Why should they, they dont discourage minorities, but why spend the extra money to encourage, they are clearly just as welcome as anyone else, they just choose different sports like basketball, football and baseball.

Are you there for tennis of the gardens?

Its nice you found one positive thing to say :)

Its the US Open, not the Davis Cup, so I can understand why the emphasis is on the US Open, can't you?

ryan23
09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I went to Wimbledon once and here are my comments/complaints about it:

When we were on Centre Court, I felt like I was at an AARP meeting -- the average age was about 75. :help:

People were SO QUIET (old folks sleeping?). I've heard more crowd noise at the ballet.

Ladies' rooms were not dirty, but they definitely needed more of them (or the ladies needed to do their business more quickly).

On the bright side, sitting on Henman Hill and chatting with people was loads of fun.

Go see a football match then you will see all the younger population and here much more noise- tennis in the uk is not very popular with the youngsters and is a tory sport, right wing lovers with loads of money, unlike football and other sports

ryan23
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Nobody can compare Wimbledon with any other tournament- the price alone is 10 x at wimbledon and wimbledon officials seem to think its more like gonig to the opera than a sporting occasion due to the history

Pedigree
09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm going up there this weekend and have a question about the bag thing. On the website it said that there is a bag storage facility available outside the grounds for a nominal fee. Does anybody know A) how close it is? or B) how much it costs?

Thanks.

r2473
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
To summarize:

1) I hate people that aren't perfect (like me).

2) If I don't understand / can't find something, it is somebody else's fault.

3) I want everything to be perfect, but I don't want to pay for it.

NinaNina19
09-03-2008, 06:29 PM
^^^Um no. I agree with some things the OP said, he is too sensitive imo but some things are true. The thing I hate the most about the USO is those obnoxious kids that run around with those $45 tennis balls trying to get autographs. Personally I don't mind kids getting autographs if they actually know who they player is or even to one random player they don't know if they've just seen their match. But these kids run around from court to court just trying to get autographs. I was watching various players practice and every time there's a slightly bigger crowd observing the players, these kids butt their way to the front with their huge tennis balls and just take up the room for someone who is actually trying to watch. I wanted to see Andy Murray practice and these two girls came and one was like "Who is that", and the older one was like, "I don't know, but save me a spot I'm going to go over there for a second, try to get his autograph". She pushed her way to the front and told me to move. Another time I was watching a match on the outside courts and it was near the end, all of a sudden 4 or 5 kids with those balls came pushing their way towards the front before the match was even over. Then in grandstand the seats near the entrance are always empty except on the last changeover when all the kids come rushing in to get autographs.

Lee
09-03-2008, 06:36 PM
^^^Um no. I agree with some things the OP said, he is too sensitive imo but some things are true. The thing I hate the most about the USO is those obnoxious kids that run around with those $45 tennis balls trying to get autographs. Personally I don't mind kids getting autographs if they actually know who they player is or even to one random player they don't know if they've just seen their match. But these kids run around from court to court just trying to get autographs. I was watching various players practice and every time there's a slightly bigger crowd observing the players, these kids butt their way to the front with their huge tennis balls and just take up the room for someone who is actually trying to watch. I wanted to see Andy Murray practice and these two girls came and one was like "Who is that", and the older one was like, "I don't know, but save me a spot I'm going to go over there for a second, try to get his autograph". She pushed her way to the front and told me to move. Another time I was watching a match on the outside courts and it was near the end, all of a sudden 4 or 5 kids with those balls came pushing their way towards the front before the match was even over. Then in grandstand the seats near the entrance are always empty except on the last changeover when all the kids come rushing in to get autographs.

I don't think this problem is limited to USO. It's the same in other tournaments, at least in US. That's why I love going to qualifying/early rounds in Indian Wells when the kids are still in school. :lol:

Neely
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
BTW, does somebody know how the situation yesterday was handled for night session ticketholders? Originally you're buying them to see two matches on Ashe, and then the women's match got rescheduled on Armstrong.

No question it was a good decision for the schedule, but I hope the people who wanted to see both matches could also enter Armstrong with their nightsession tickets and then head over to Ashe for Roddick vs Gonzo?

r2473
09-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Um, like, whatever. You, like, so don't get it. Like, get a clue.

These kids like....hello....paid for their tickets and like want to get autographs. It's like so totally not against the rules.

Like, take a chill pill dude.

Sunset of Age
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't think this problem is limited to USO. It's the same in other tournaments, at least in US. That's why I love going to qualifying/early rounds in Indian Wells when the kids are still in school. :lol:

It surely isn't, I saw it in Hamburg as well.
And yes, I completely agree with NinaNina19 - some of those spoilt brats are indeed a nuisance, some of them constantly yelling at the players, acting as if it's indeed their right to recieve an autograph... I couldn't help but have a giggle moment when I witnessed some players actually skipping the most obnoxiously screaming kids when handing out autographs... (No I'm not giving any names...;))

And it might be me, but why do these parents actually think that buying an ordinary yellow ball for 45 euro's is a good deal? I think it's :cuckoo:.

Sunset of Age
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM

These kids like....hello....paid for their tickets and like want to get autographs. It's like so totally not against the rules.

Trying to get an autograph is of course completely okay. Yelling, screaming, pushing away other people who've been waiting patiently, acting as if it's your right to get one, is something completely different. It's being a spoilt brat, and yes, I don't like seeing that either.
And do you really think those kids payed for their tickets themselves? ;)

Lee
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
It surely isn't, I saw it in Hamburg as well.
And yes, I completely agree with NinaNina19 - some of those spoilt brats are indeed a nuisance, some of them constantly yelling at the players, acting as if it's indeed their right to recieve an autograph... I couldn't help but have a giggle moment when I witnessed some players actually skipping the most obnoxiously screaming kids when handing out autographs... (No I'm not giving any names...;))

And it might be me, but why do these parents actually think that buying an ordinary yellow ball for 45 euro's is a good deal? I think it's :cuckoo:.

I would like names so that next time I see those players, I will give them a thumbsup :yeah:

decrepitude
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Some typical things that you often read about sports events. I understand they all want to earn as much money as possible and thus have no "normal" prices like if you're buying a hotdog around the corner and they don't like people bringing their own food with them, but from times to times some things are still shocking and crazy.

But my merchandising favorites are still the huge tennis balls at Roland Garros (about 35-40 Euro about the size of a handball, and at around 45 Euro for ca. 30cm diameter of size) or the common size tennis balls at like 25 Euro which are used already, but which were allegedly played during a Nadal match (without autograph) :lol:

:confused: I always take my own food (including strawberries!) into Wimbledon, and have had no problem with that.

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
They let me bring in my own food (and water, and coffee) at the USO.

r2473
09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Trying to get an autograph is of course completely okay. Yelling, screaming, pushing away other people who've been waiting patiently, acting as if it's your right to get one, is something completely different. It's being a spoilt brat, and yes, I don't like seeing that either.

I was, like, totally messin' around. These kids are like, SO annoying. Totally.

NinaNina19
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Exactly.

NinaNina19
09-03-2008, 07:52 PM

I don't mind them getting autographs. I can see why that would be exciting to kids, it's just that they push everyone out of the way in order to get autographs from players they don't even know. They ruin other people's chances of seeing their favorite players up close. It's also worse that parents encourage this. I mean you paid for the ticket for your kid to see tennis. You don't see these kids, they're spoiled, loud and obnoxious they also almost always have a parent nearby daring you not to let their kid in front of you. I know they have every right to do so, but they just annoy me.

GlennMirnyi
09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
BTW, does somebody know how the situation yesterday was handled for night session ticketholders? Originally you're buying them to see two matches on Ashe, and then the women's match got rescheduled on Armstrong.

No question it was a good decision for the schedule, but I hope the people who wanted to see both matches could also enter Armstrong with their nightsession tickets and then head over to Ashe for Roddick vs Gonzo?

I'm sure nobody complained of not having to watch another wta borefest.

fedsfan1
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I hate those annoying kids ...yelling all kinds of stuff to the players. Give me this & give me your that....fill in the blanks...headband , sweatband, racket, money...whatever. Doubt these autographhound kids would ever behave IF their parents were around to witness it. But some of the parents are just as bad. I was at USO yesterday & Juan Monaco came over after his practise, so I TRIED to get a few nice closeups of him....but this woman keep screaming in my ear *Juan Juan PORFAVOR **** & then sticking her arm over my head to point to her son, totally ruining my pictures since she keep hitting me.

I did meet a few kids that were actually very nice & behaved well....but I could do without all the screaming. My head is still ringing.

fedsfan1
09-03-2008, 08:18 PM
sawan

you sound like a very hard person to please. Did you ever try to please 22,000 people in one day? Pretty hard task but I think they do a darn good job.

I have been at the USO since the first day of qualies & have had a Fed-Fabulous time. Yeah its noisy & over the top but I am there for the tennis & the hot chicos & I have had a grand time hanging out wit all the tennis boyz.

If you think the foods too expensive, go out to the hotdog stand in the park or to the pitch & putt for some cheaper grub...beer too.

Bathrooms ok by me. The ones bhind food court always empty & clean

Could care less what other people know about tennis...why would let THAT bother you?? Its there problem , not yours.

I know you had more to *itch about but I had a fun time w/ all my mates, we saw some great tennis & some not so great , but overall a fun time was had by all my mates.

as for what happened yesterday, chicks were moved to LA & nite seesion was allowed in for that. But majority of them waited outside Ashe ---so as we all came out after Rogers' match, there was hardly any room to move. But I didn't care....Roger won & that made it ok :):)

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
For me the absolute best part of this entire thread has got to be this mysterious phrase which is making my imagination run wild about the goings-on at amusement parks.

...you can't leave unless you get a stamp and have a ticket..but, unlike an amusement park, no real information is given about where and when to get the stamp.

fedsfan1
09-03-2008, 08:35 PM
For me the absolute best part of this entire thread has got to be this mysterious phrase which is making my imagination run wild about the goings-on at amusement parks.

LOL ;) it is pretty simple, NO??? ...the guy holding the ink pad & stamp at the exit gives you the hand stamp

Neely
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
:confused: I always take my own food (including strawberries!) into Wimbledon, and have had no problem with that.
Good to know that it's not too strict! :)

I'm sure nobody complained of not having to watch another wta borefest.
Classic :lol: I would have won a secret bet with myself, because while writing my post above, I was already aware of that I gave an excellent assist for such comments! :sport:

fedsfan1
09-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm going up there this weekend and have a question about the bag thing. On the website it said that there is a bag storage facility available outside the grounds for a nominal fee. Does anybody know A) how close it is? or B) how much it costs?

Thanks.

There are 2....one on the boardwalk coming from #7 train & another outside South Gate . South Gate bag check is closer to to entrance....the one on boardwalk a farther walk...if you want to go back & forth to get something from your bag. Cost is $3.00 per bag per day.
I use it to store my extra frozen water bottles....when I run out, if I am nearby, I run out & get another. I saw a guy with a cooler & he had food for the entire day...for 6 people...salads, fruit , fried chicken, sandwiches , drinks & he goes in & out for this all day. They allow you to get things from your bag with out a problem
Suitcases are $5.00 , i think

make sure you get handstamped & have your ticket for re-entry if you have to go out to the bag check during that day.

NinaNina19
09-03-2008, 10:30 PM
sawan

you sound like a very hard person to please. Did you ever try to please 22,000 people in one day? Pretty hard task but I think they do a darn good job.

I have been at the USO since the first day of qualies & have had a Fed-Fabulous time. Yeah its noisy & over the top but I am there for the tennis & the hot chicos & I have had a grand time hanging out wit all the tennis boyz.

If you think the foods too expensive, go out to the hotdog stand in the park or to the pitch & putt for some cheaper grub...beer too.

Bathrooms ok by me. The ones bhind food court always empty & clean

Could care less what other people know about tennis...why would let THAT bother you?? Its there problem , not yours.

I know you had more to *itch about but I had a fun time w/ all my mates, we saw some great tennis & some not so great , but overall a fun time was had by all my mates.

as for what happened yesterday, chicks were moved to LA & nite seesion was allowed in for that. But majority of them waited outside Ashe ---so as we all came out after Rogers' match, there was hardly any room to move. But I didn't care....Roger won & that made it ok :):)

I have a good time too. I'm so excited to see live tennis that I ignore everything else.

Snoo Foo
09-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Does anybody here know why flags are banned from the USO? Isn't this a recent development? I never see fans waving national flags anymore.

flags and signs are both supposedly banned, at least for the past few years, I don't know if it's a TV thing or a security thing (to prevent fights) but this year I noticed a lot more of them (flags, not signs - I didn't notice any signs, aside from people who turned their seat cushions into signs with the help of a sharpie) this year, I don't think they were checking very closely.

danton
09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm watching Murray/Del pony match on Sky and the camera work is awful. Not Sky's fault but....

The guy doing down the middle isn't cue'd up - therefore he is moving the camera during the point and is often not zoomed in enough. For that camera all he needs to do is line it up and leave it!

They keep doing the camera low down by the side of the court which is a rubbish angle to watch a point from.

They are not ready for points

Crappy compression means the lines on the court are strobbing

Neely
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Crappy compression means the lines on the court are strobbing
This isn't something new and this is because of different video systems in the US and Europe. Because the frame rates are not identical, frames have to be interpolated when converting from one to the other, and thus the effect you are describing can be visable, especially at lines during fast-moving motions.

mariyella80
09-04-2008, 01:02 AM
at the entrance (at least in the morning)....they would announce no flags but if you folded it up like a mat or scarf those damn asses dont know the colors of flags of the countries....at verdasco matches people had spain's flag with the bull in the center, when i GOT pics of djokovic after practising a bunch of girls had the serbian flag (large)...I helped them hold it and it paid off cause he spent moe time in our corner hahahaah :P

smitty8
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM

Yeah, they weren't too strict about that at USO. Not too strict at Washington either (unless you get the b!tch who won't let you take in an opened water bottle, when the day before I brought in a Slurpee). Davis Cup and Cincy were the only places that were really strict about that.

smitty8
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM

I've had to deal with those brats in Cincy and Washington, as well. Since I had paid the big $$$ to get the courtside box seat on Friday, I thought I would have the chance to get at least one autograph (Jankovic, Federer, or Djokovic), but those kids ran down and blocked the whole aisle and sat in other people's seats and pushed their way to get the autographs. I saw the bigger kids push the really little kids out of the way. I blame the parents. I saw a few of them encourage the kids to push their way up front.

smitty8
09-04-2008, 01:24 AM
at the entrance (at least in the morning)....they would announce no flags but if you folded it up like a mat or scarf those damn asses dont know the colors of flags of the countries....at verdasco matches people had spain's flag with the bull in the center, when i GOT pics of djokovic after practising a bunch of girls had the serbian flag (large)...I helped them hold it and it paid off cause he spent moe time in our corner hahahaah :P

I saw a few flags while I was there. I also saw some staff going around telling people to put them away. Not sure their reasoning for it, because people are going to get around it somehow (wearing shirts that have the flag colors or whatever).

mariyella80
09-04-2008, 01:50 AM
the reasons is because of the greeks and some other group GOT personal at the austrailian open.....you know heat/alcohol/excitement.....think it was during a baghdatiis match.....something went wrong and the FLAG issue was raised

Lee
09-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I really don't understand why USO don't allow flags :shrug:

When I was in Indian Wells, the Chileans almost tied the flag permanently in courts where Gonzo/Capdeville/Massu would play. And you can always bring your food and drink inside.

sawan66278
09-04-2008, 02:09 AM
I really think, in essence, its two things:

1. The USTA is an archaic, greedy, and clueless organization that tacitly encourages segregation.
2. The U.S. Open is an event for the world, hosted by the States---not a "home field" for players from the U.S. who fail to perform well anywhere else in the world.

True: no event is run to perfection. (And I have been aware of the bag policy for years, I just think its ridiculous). However, what improvements have they made over the years?

What can I say? I'm not Kevin Curren, but the U.S. Open is entertaining because of the players and in spite of the USTA's pathetic efforts.

sawan66278
09-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Oh, and one other piece of evidence to support my assertions:

Scheduling doubles matches on Ashe...causing a backlog of matches...where Nadal and Fish will probably not start their QF match until after 10:30. What a wonderful way to showcase your event and the culmination of that "wonderful" U.S. Open series.:rolleyes:

savesthedizzle
09-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Does anybody here know why flags are banned from the USO? Isn't this a recent development? I never see fans waving national flags anymore.

I believe it is flags on sticks that are actually a huge problem and not just simply flags. I've had flags before and I saw several people with large flags. Some Argie flags at the JMDP-Nishikori match and I saw some Scottish flags at... I guess it was Baltacha's match. :shrug: They don't trouble you about them at the bag check. I think the concern is big ones on polls that either a) are going to poke someone's eye out or b) will obstruct someone's view if you're waving it around. :shrug:

Neely
09-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Scheduling doubles matches on Ashe...causing a backlog of matches...where Nadal and Fish will probably not start their QF match until after 10:30. What a wonderful way to showcase your event and the culmination of that "wonderful" U.S. Open series.:rolleyes:
The scheduling of the doubles match is indeed questionable, now that we are so clever that it lasted about twice as long as many people would have estimated it before its start.

However, I think a big problem was also between the matches, let's calculate generously:
11 am start + 3 hours doubles (was shorter) + 1.5 hours women's QF (was shorter) + 4 hours Murray/del Potro

I'm ending up somewhere at about 7:30 to 8:00 pm for the first match of the night session. Okay, they also need their time for the transition between day and night session. But still...

knight_ley
09-04-2008, 02:33 AM
I've gone every year since I was a little kid, so 20 years now, and I absolutely love it.

I just thought I'd give my two cents. :angel:

out_here_grindin
09-04-2008, 02:34 AM
US Open is awesome. Sintillating (no idea how to spell that) tennis.

savesthedizzle
09-04-2008, 02:37 AM
US Open is awesome. Sintillating (no idea how to spell that) tennis.

Almost right ;) Scintillating (just for future reference :p )

savesthedizzle
09-04-2008, 03:01 AM
They have the same rule at DC matches, no flags on poles or sticks but you can still bring a flag and hold it up. Maybe that's how it works at USO too but I've yet to see anybody holding any flags. I see a few fan signs, but no flags.

There were 2-3 at Nishikori-Del Potro, they had Scottish ones at Baltacha... I think I saw a few others... i want to say there were Brazilian ones at some point somewhere. I know the Croats had one at Cilic-Benneteau :shrug:

So being there, I saw a few, just not really on the TV courts :rolls:

wilmar
09-04-2008, 03:18 AM
never been to any of the Slams...but from what i see on TV, I'd give my vote to Aussie Open and French Open as the best Slams...they have the more knowledgeable and fair crowds, and the more efficient tournament planning/flow.

MusicMyst
09-04-2008, 03:19 AM
I believe it is flags on sticks that are actually a huge problem and not just simply flags. I've had flags before and I saw several people with large flags. Some Argie flags at the JMDP-Nishikori match and I saw some Scottish flags at... I guess it was Baltacha's match. :shrug: They don't trouble you about them at the bag check. I think the concern is big ones on polls that either a) are going to poke someone's eye out or b) will obstruct someone's view if you're waving it around. :shrug:

I think you've got the rules right. You can bring a flag in as long as it's not on a pole. And you can't drape it over the front of the row where it could blow onto the court.

mariyella80
09-04-2008, 03:21 AM
I agree with the double matches assignment...they SHOULD have played on louis armstrong.....but its been a trend at the open this year day matches overlapping into the evening...its FUN for those who dont have work tomorrow ...hey maybe they'll let the folks in the nose bleed sections move down if they stay for the mens match which wont finish till early morning ....

mariyella80
09-04-2008, 03:22 AM
by the way the HAD SWISS flags at the federer match last nite, they even GOT TV AIR TIME and nothing was mentioned......

IDJ49
09-04-2008, 03:23 AM
I really think, in essence, its two things:

1. The USTA is an archaic, greedy, and clueless organization that tacitly encourages segregation.
2. The U.S. Open is an event for the world, hosted by the States---not a "home field" for players from the U.S. who fail to perform well anywhere else in the world.

True: no event is run to perfection. (And I have been aware of the bag policy for years, I just think its ridiculous). However, what improvements have they made over the years?

What can I say? I'm not Kevin Curren, but the U.S. Open is entertaining because of the players and in spite of the USTA's pathetic efforts.

1. How are they encouraging segregation? Minorities are the minorities so of course there will be less minorities at the US Open than whites. Personally all the times I've been to the US Open there were a mix of people and I don't understand why you are harping on this.

About the bag policy, you know that big hole in downtown Manhattan? Obviously improvements HAVE been made since more people seem to be attending every year.

IDJ49
09-04-2008, 03:24 AM
never been to any of the Slams...but from what i see on TV, I'd give my vote to Aussie Open and French Open as the best Slams...they have the more knowledgeable and fair crowds, and the more efficient tournament planning/flow.

French Open has fair crowds???

wilmar
09-04-2008, 03:27 AM

my bad...knowledgeable at least...but at least they won't let the players get away with any nonsense...

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 09:00 AM

They never booed Rafter for retiring a match :)

Action Jackson
09-04-2008, 09:02 AM
As for the US Open, it has its own charms, some people appreciate it and others don't. Stupid Saturday and the 5th set tiebreaker are the worst things, but that's one of the quirks, like Wimbledon no play on middle Sunday, RG not having lights and the AO too early in the season and come clownish ticketing arrangements.

wifey99999999
09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Did anyone see yesterday that Andy Murray tried to sign autograph for a kid after his win, and the security tried to stop him from signing for the kid?? And Murray obviously wanted to sign for the kid, and he seemed pissed about the security, but fortunately he eventually found his way to that kid and signed for the kid.

I think it's just a huge disgrace that the security "over-does" his job by staying between fans and player when a fan (especially if he's just a kid) wants autograph from a player. I am not sure about other countries, but I think it's like this in most US tournaments. I've been to Pacific Life, Countrywide Classic, and the security guards in those 2 tournaments are always acting like total jerks when it comes to fans lining up to get autograph from players. It didn't surprise me at all when I saw a fan arguing really furiously with the security guard at the player tunnel at Countrywide Classic.

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I saw it and maybe it was tough luck for the kid but they were trying to get the stadium cleared out as soon as possible so they could get the Williams sisters on. They were running insanely late and between the last match of the day session and the first match of the night session they have to clear out the entire ginormous Arthur Ashe and clean it up a little (?) so the security guard was prolly on a mission to get muzzah out of there as fast as possible in order to get the spectators cleared out as fast as possible so they could get the Williamses on as fast as possible and hopefully be able to start the Nadal match before dawn. It sucks for the kid but it's not some big anti-fan conspiracy. I went to a bunch of matches this year and most times the winner (and sometimes the loser) stayed around for a long long long time signing autographs and throwing out wristbands and towels and posing for pictures, del Potro especially was getting the rockstar treatment at all of his matches...

Jelena
09-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, I can understand Andy was pissed off. On the other hand - somehow I can understand the security (in this particular situation) too. But in general I think Securities are exaggerating sometimes. I remember a situation at an ATP-tournament, when Younes started to sign autographs after a practice session. He signed and signed, people were chatting with him while he was signing, he had no problem signing tons of stuff. But suddenly - the Security guard said: "He won't sign anymore." I was :eek: and said immediately: "Let him decide that! You see he doesn't stop signing? IF he doesn't want to sign anymore, then it's ok you say that, but obviously he enjoys signing. It's up to him!" Well, in the end the Security forced Younes to stop signing and Younes was really sorry about that. So sometimes Securities are really jerks.

Snoo Foo
09-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Hmmm... but how do you know that Younes didn't say to the security guard ahead of time and say, "OK, after 15 minutes, I want you to tell everyone I can't sign anymore." If I were a player and I didn't want to sit around all afternoon signing towels, I'd ask the security guy to be the bad guy. :devil:

Marc23
09-04-2008, 11:30 AM
A huge disgrace for the guards is that I entered players lounge without any ID through the back door of the restoraunt-entered than to the hall and passed so many security guards who did not even notice that I do not have any ID!Funny,but I huge disgrace for the whole security sistem who just seems to work perfect!

fedsfan1
09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Flags , banners or signs of any kind are NOT allowed :rolleyes:
this is from USO site

The following items are prohibited and MAY NOT be brought onto the premises:

sealed packages of any kind;
briefcases;
ALL knapsacks/ALL backpacks ;
hard coolers or like containers;
glass bottles or cans;
aerosol cans or noisemaking devices;
alcoholic beverages;
commercial video cameras or recording devices;
computers or laptops;
food (except in limited quantities, or for medical, dietary or infant purposes);
weapons (regardless of permit);
pets (unless a service animal);
flags, banners or signs;
laser pointing devices;
tennis racquets;
bicycles; scooters of any type; in-line skates; roller skates; skateboards;
and any other items deemed unlawful or dangerous by the USTA and/or US Open personnel, in its sole discretion.

I had my Swiss flag for Rogers match vs Iggy & got a *warning* from security....they even gave me a *Fan Conduct Warning* card :mad: Its says on the back ...." You have been issued a warning the the comments, gestures,and/or other behavior that you directed at the players, coaches, officials, and/or other guests constitute excessive abuse. This is the first & only warning you will receive." It goes on to say that if I continue this behavior, I will immediately be ejected off the USO grounds.

NO one around me said a word but I think since I was facing the Presidents box, they had a nice view of the flag & took action. But in no way was I behaving in *Disorderly Conduct* ...LOL
I have no idea why they don't allow flags etc...but I have been to Roddick matches where they had bells , drums & flags....now that was disorderly & annoying. ;)

Pedigree
09-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Right now rain is forecast for Saturday. Any idea what they'll do if Saturday is a wash out? I'm assuming play the semis Sunday and the final Monday...

The Pro
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I am a loud supporter of the theory that a confident walk (and often a clipboard) can get you into anywhere.

Countless times I have been unaware of a fee to enter a place, like a beach or a sports centre, and just walked in unknowingly. Because the staff saw me just walk in purposefully they must have assumed that I had paid. I didn't have to pay for a single sunbed when in malta, if I had it would have set me back 50 euro over the course of the holiday!

I'd say this same mentality gets a lot of people past closed doors.

Pedigree
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
I had my Swiss flag for Rogers match vs Iggy & got a *warning* from security....they even gave me a *Fan Conduct Warning* card :mad: Its says on the back ...." You have been issued a warning the the comments, gestures,and/or other behavior that you directed at the players, coaches, officials, and/or other guests constitute excessive abuse. This is the first & only warning you will receive." It goes on to say that if I continue this behavior, I will immediately be ejected off the USO grounds.

How exactly did this go down? Were you waving it during the match or what?

Also, what area of the stadium were you sitting in? I imagine that they're more strict with that in the expensive seats than in the upper deck.

I'm bringing a large Swiss flag and sitting in the upper deck. I plan on tieing it around my body underneath my shirt to walk into the stadium without getting harassed. I'd like to wave it during the match but no big deal if I can't. I do want to get a picture in the stadium before the match ... if they yell at me I'll just fold it up and sit on it.

mariyella80
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
It was kinda MEAN but, it appeared that they needed to get the matches going.....

fedsfan1
09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
How exactly did this go down? Were you waving it during the match or what?

Also, what area of the stadium were you sitting in? I imagine that they're more strict with that in the expensive seats than in the upper deck.

I'm bringing a large Swiss flag and sitting in the upper deck. I plan on tieing it around my body underneath my shirt to walk into the stadium without getting harassed. I'd like to wave it during the match but no big deal if I can't. I do want to get a picture in the stadium before the match ... if they yell at me I'll just fold it up and sit on it.

I was sitting in the loge....first row & iwas waving it during the match. after the point , a few minutes later the security gaurd came down & gave me the warning. I doubt they care about upper promenade. Hardly any security wants to walk up all those steps so you should be safe up there.

Lee
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Did anyone see yesterday that Andy Murray tried to sign autograph for a kid after his win, and the security tried to stop him from signing for the kid?? And Murray obviously wanted to sign for the kid, and he seemed pissed about the security, but fortunately he eventually found his way to that kid and signed for the kid.

I think it's just a huge disgrace that the security "over-does" his job by staying between fans and player when a fan (especially if he's just a kid) wants autograph from a player. I am not sure about other countries, but I think it's like this in most US tournaments. I've been to Pacific Life, Countrywide Classic, and the security guards in those 2 tournaments are always acting like total jerks when it comes to fans lining up to get autograph from players. It didn't surprise me at all when I saw a fan arguing really furiously with the security guard at the player tunnel at Countrywide Classic.

From the 2 years I was in Pacific Life, I haven't encountered any security guards who act like jerks. Actually the ones I talked to were very friendly. And honestly, you hardly see many security guards around. Most players were mobbed around practise courts, even Nadal, Federer, etc and I hadn't seen any security guards pushing fans away or being rude.

Deboogle!.
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
From the 2 years I was in Pacific Life, I haven't encountered any security guards who act like jerks. Actually the ones I talked to were very friendly. And honestly, you hardly see many security guards around. Most players were mobbed around practise courts, even Nadal, Federer, etc and I hadn't seen any security guards pushing fans away or being rude.Same here, and I haven't seen many rude security guards at LA either :confused:

sawan66278
09-06-2008, 10:16 PM
After today, some additions to the list:

21. Starting a grand slam semi-final on Louis Armstrong stadium is a disgrace.

22. Starting a grand slam semi-final involving the world #1 against the world #4 on Louis Armstrong stadium is a disgrace.

23. Starting a grand slam semi-final involving the world #1 against the world #4 on Louis Armstrong stadium inexplicably one hour after the other men's semi-final is a disgrace.

24. Not knowing how to use modern sources of information for weather forecasts. It appears that the USTA simply looks out the window in the morning, counts the amount of money they've made for the day, and hopes for the best.

25. Knowing that it is likely that a tropical storm is on the horizon...and even mentioned in international news broadcasts, the USTA refuses to play one of the semis on a clear Friday night (a change in their scheduling)...when NO MATCHES are being played.

26. The USTA worships at the alter of CBS Television.

27. The U.S. Open utilizes the "services" of Dick Enberg...the pure representation of how NOT to broadcast a tennis match (or a dog show for that matter).

28. CBS Television, who is in league with the USTA, makes no arrangements with USA or ESPN or Tennis Channel to show the semi match on Armstrong live...rather, they direct viewers to the sports ticker on www.usopen.org

29. When they finally decide to broadcast the second semi, rather than show live tennis, they start showing the match at the beginning...when LIVE TENNIS is STILL GOING ON:mad::mad::mad:

30. As if to add insult to injury, Mary Carillo is allowed to speak during men's matches.

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Sawan, Federer-Djokovic is the more suited match for the Arthur Ashe stadium? Why?
1. Federer 4 time champion.
2. Last year's finalists...
3. Federer has been number 1 until what, 2 weeks now?.. They made the right choice IMO.

MacTheKnife
09-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Sawan, Federer-Djokovic is the more suited match for the Arthur Ashe stadium? Why?
3. Federer has been number 1 until what, 2 weeks now?.. They made the right choice IMO.

groundstroke, you have to stop with this logical thought process stuff. Not a good fit for MTF.. You need to get really emotional and base all your opinions on who your favorite player is. :confused:

sawan66278
09-06-2008, 10:31 PM

I understand its the more suited match in a sense. However, it is insulting to the world #1 AND to Andy Murray to have them play their semifinal (and Andy's first) with less than 1,000 people watching.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 10:34 PM

22. Starting a grand slam semi-final involving the world #1 against the world #4 on Louis Armstrong stadium is a disgrace.

23. Starting a grand slam semi-final involving the world #1 against the world #4 on Louis Armstrong stadium inexplicably one hour after the other men's semi-final is a disgrace.

24. Not knowing how to use modern sources of information for weather forecasts. It appears that the USTA simply looks out the window in the morning, counts the amount of money they've made for the day, and hopes for the best.

25. Knowing that it is likely that a tropical storm is on the horizon...and even mentioned in international news broadcasts, the USTA refuses to play one of the semis on a clear Friday night (a change in their scheduling)...when NO MATCHES are being played.

27. The U.S. Open utilizes the "services" of Dick Enberg...the pure representation of how NOT to broadcast a tennis match (or a dog show for that matter).

28. CBS Television, who is in league with the USTA, makes no arrangements with USA or ESPN or Tennis Channel to show the semi match on Armstrong live...rather, they direct viewers to the sports ticker on www.usopen.org

29. When they finally decide to broadcast the second semi, rather than show live tennis, they start showing the match at the beginning...when LIVE TENNIS is STILL GOING ON:mad::mad::mad:

30. As if to add insult to injury, Mary Carillo is allowed to speak during men's matches.

21-23. So where would you like them to schedule the match? Federer is the 4 time reigning champion and Rafa is playing in his first semi who do you think should have played where?

24. Actually quite a lot goes into the weather forecasting for the US Open. And if you weren't so determined to hate everything about the event you might be interested.

25. No tickets were sold for Friday night,most staff were sent home after the women semis, plus Djokovic had just played a match until almost 1am the night before how is that fair or economically feasible?

26.Uh hello CBS pays the USTA a lot of money to air the tournament of course the USTA has to take in account what they say.

28. How is this any different than what Roland Garros and Wimbledon do with NBC which is a lot worse at showing tape delayed matches.

29. You are just looking for something to complain about.

30. Can't argue with you there.

IDJ49
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
I understand its the more suited match in a sense. However, it is insulting to the world #1 AND to Andy Murray to have them play their semifinal (and Andy's first) with less than 1,000 people watching.

What are you talking about by the 2nd set there were 10,000 people there.

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Insulting? The only way I find it insulting is that they didn't start it a few hours/1 hour earlier, Murray sure didn't mind less than 1k people watching him did he? He was annihilating Nadal until the rain came up...I think this match will carry on in L. Armstrong, would be extremely weird and unfair to change to Arthur Ashe tomorrow..

Castafiore
09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
:lol: Nice typo.

groundstroke
09-06-2008, 10:44 PM
:lol: Nice typo.
Thank you.. :devil:

nobama
09-06-2008, 10:50 PM

30. As if to add insult to injury, Mary Carillo is allowed to speak during men's matches.Well, at least you got #30 right. Could add JMac too.

sam
09-06-2008, 11:01 PM
You should visit Wimbledon, hon! :wavey: Everyone there smiles and the toilets are immaculate! And we haven't had winners since 1930 something on the mens side and 1977 on the women's, but that doesn't stop everyone being happy. Mwah. :wavey:

sawan66278
09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
You should visit Wimbledon, hon! :wavey: Everyone there smiles and the toilets are immaculate! And we haven't had winners since 1930 something on the mens side and 1977 on the women's, but that doesn't stop everyone being happy. Mwah. :wavey:

Exactly...that is why, even though grass is only played on for a few weeks a year, Wimbledon is THE tourney that represents the pinnacle of the game.

ClubFed
09-07-2008, 01:50 AM

I didn't even know about that. I was at the Gulbis-Johansson match and happened to sit where the Latvians were. They had the Latvian flag tied to the pole and one guy had a flag painted on his cheek. And the staff guy just joked around with them, not one word about the no flag policy.

Yeah, they weren't too strict about that at USO. Not too strict at Washington either (unless you get the b!tch who won't let you take in an opened water bottle, when the day before I brought in a Slurpee). Davis Cup and Cincy were the only places that were really strict about that.

I actually found the USO people strict. I had a little granola bar in my bag, and they made me eat it first before I went in. Although the next day my friend and I split a Subway to hide under our hoodies.

About the bathrooms...I knew about the bathrooms by court 13-14, but not until the last 2 days I went. The bathrooms I went to had locks broken, so my friend had to hold the stall door closed.

smitty8
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I actually found the USO people strict. I had a little granola bar in my bag, and they made me eat it first before I went in. Although the next day my friend and I split a Subway to hide under our hoodies.

Wow, you must've been in the wrong line! I took in McDonald's one day and had no problems. Took in a gallon-size baggie with snacks (cheese crackers, cookies, Slim Jims, etc) every day and not one word was said about it.

sawan66278
09-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Split stadiums for US Open semis ruffles crowd

By BEN WALKER, AP National Writer 5 hours, 16 minutes ago

Buzz Up
Print

NEW YORK (AP)—Dane Schlossberg saw police officers blocking the metal gates, heard other fans shouting obscenities and listened to crowds chanting outside Louis Armstrong Stadium.

Hardly what anyone would expect in the genteel world of tennis. The jumbled scene surprised Schlossberg—in a totally different way.

“Actually, I thought it would be more chaotic,” he said Saturday at the U.S. Open.

Trying to play two men’s semifinals before Tropical Storm Hanna hit, tournament organizers shifted the schedule. So during the second set of the Roger Federer-Novak Djokovic match at 23,000-seat Arthur Ashe Stadium, they announced Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray would soon start next door at 10,000-seat Louis Armstrong Stadium.

All seats on a first-come, first-served basis.
ADVERTISEMENT

Immediately, a couple thousand fans rushed down the ramps at Ashe for the 100-yard dash to Armstrong. Public-address announcements to “please take your time” were soon replaced by security guards yelling “slow down!”

Dev Sirur was among the first to stake out a decent seat for Nadal-Murray.

“We wanted to beat the stampede,” he said. “We were sitting in the rafters at Ashe and I’m a Djokovic fan. But I wanted to see Nadal, too. At first when they said what was happening, we booed. But then when I got here, we got great seats. So it’s OK.”

No telling whether Nadal and Murray agreed. With the stadium just one-quarter filled, it easy to hear a pair of babies crying, an usher loudly ordering a fan to sit down and the music wafting over from Ashe.

The match between Federer and Djokovic already had been moved up an hour to start at 11 a.m. and left officials clinging to the hope of playing the semifinals back-to-back at Ashe.

“If you split them up, you’re not going to have the opportunity,” tournament director Jim Curley said.

But when the weather pattern worsened, Curley said the Open tried to accommodate everyone—players, fans and CBS, which did the telecast—and switched Nadal-Murray across the way.

“This is the decision we went with,” he said.

Douglas Melik didn’t mind. For a while, he was the only person sitting in the entire upper east bowl at Armstrong.

“I thought I had to be pro-active and come on over,” he said. “It turned out to be very fortuitous. But I won’t have this section to myself for long.”

He was right.

Late in the second set, it was easy to hear the cheers from Ashe after Federer had won. Because the matches were no longer in the same place, that started a real rush and the real problems.

There just weren’t enough seats for everyone who wanted to get in. Even the fans wearing suits who paid hundreds of dollars for tickets were left to scramble from gate to gate, trying to find a way in.

As the crowd outside grew, things began to get testy. Several fans marched up to security guards to vent, and more uniformed police officers moved in to keep order. Dozens of supervisors scurried around with walkie-talkies, shouting instructions.

“Do not open any gates! It’s too dangerous!” one of them hollered.

Despite the anger and frustration, there was no pushing and shoving as officials and officers kept calm. And within 45 minutes or so, many fans who’d lined up were allowed into Armstrong.

Only one problem: Pretty soon, the rain came and the match was suspended with Murray leading 6-2, 7-6 (5), 2-3. They’re set to resume Sunday afternoon— the forecast is looking a lot better—and fans who had tickets for the session can return.

That’s sure to please Schlossberg and his sister, Resa. As fans streamed toward the Armstrong gates only to get turned away, they knew their chances of getting in were remote.

“Slim to none,” Resa said, “if not none.”

Ah...the USTA has done it again...:rolleyes:

Gnomey
09-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Seriously? Federer (4 time defending champion) and Djokovic (2007 finalist) were the last men standing in last year's USO and delivered a huge show. So in this case, I'd say Nadal and Murray are the 'other men'.

Forehander
09-07-2008, 08:17 AM

You forgot to mention the ridiculous prices of the garbage food there.

Deivid23
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Another delay in the schedule today, match will start an hour after, of course one less hour for the winner to recover :haha:

Action Jackson
09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
sawan, do you still feel the same way?

Pedigree
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
First, my streak of me watching a Rafa match and him losing is over.

Nobody cares about your meaningless, insignificant streak, by the way.

R.Federer
09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
You didn't mention the #7 to Flushing that one has to suffer to get there? OMG. It makes the Ashe/Armstrong toilets look like luxuries.

The only thing bearable about it is its price :D (Try a Swiss train, that length of a journey will cost you uhm, about SFr 80)

Action Jackson
09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Looks like the rain could be a factor for the next few days .

sawan66278
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
sawan, do you still feel the same way?

Even more so. As a matter of fact, I took a friend this year, and he has been to the World Series, saw Cal Ripken break the all time consecutive games streak live, the NBA Finals, etc...and he considers this event to be the most poorly run event he's ever been to. Where to begin?

1. The food is awful. My friend bought a burger and hot dog...the burger was burnt, the bun was stale, and the total was $8.50. When he complained and wanted his money back, the cashier said that no one had a key to the register, and he could only get another burger or hot dog. He proceeded to complain to the customer service center, and, rather than give him a refund or an apology, handed him a card with an email address...and told him to email his complaints there.

2. No one knows where anything is. The people working there have no idea where even the emergency facilities are.

3. The crowd is the LEAST educated in all of sports when it comes to knowledge about whom or what they're watching. Not once, but twice, people said that Rafa was from Portugal...and that Federer was from Sweden. On top of this, they cheer for upsets and are obnoxious...simply because they want to tell their friends at work the next day that they saw an upset...or they caused a ruckus. I'm referring to the fans from the States...not those whom have traveled from overseas.

4. The vast majority of the night crowd is made up of "fat cats" and people who are there to be seen: that is all. Men dressed in suits, blathering on and on on their cell phones. Women in their 40's and 50's trying desperately via surgery and the like to hold on to their youth look like rejects from Sex in the City.

5. The scheduling of matches is awful. Again, the men have gotten the shaft time and time again...except for their darling Federer...whom got the only early start. In addition, Americans with no real resume of success are placed on show courts, while REAL contender Juan Martin Del Potro did not receive a sniff of Ashe.

6. Ashe Stadium is one of THE most poorly constructed stadiums to watch OR play a match. Nosebleed seats, annoying music played to watch drunken fools "attempt" to be funny, and winds that not only cut fans to ribbons but make play awful are the norm.

7. No real attempts to fill the many, many lower seats are made. When asked about cards given to upper level people who wish to go down late in the match, four different people gave four different answers. And we never got the cards in the end.

8. The decor of the Center is drab beyond imagination.

9. The restrooms are slightly cleaner...still a ways to go.

10. No real souvenirs for the little ones. I ended up buying a "rubber ducky"-like frog...with a racquet...for $7.50!!!

11. Exactly HOW many water fountains are there? None of the employees could even point me in the right direction.

12. If your camera is "too" professional, you can't take it in with you. Power Shot? Okay. Expensive Nikons? Forget it.

The ONLY positive development: the return of the Fun Center for the Kids. If I'm forgetting anything, refer to the first post of this thread. You'll still find the same problems.

LaFuria
09-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't worry, Nadull still has a chance to win the US Open.

rubbERR
09-10-2009, 05:41 PM
every big stadium should have roof...wind 18-20 mph and wind gusts 25-32 at the moment there

tangerine_dream
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Cheer up, George. Even the uneducated, xenophobic, gun-toting, obese hamburger-eating yankees managed to cheer for your boy last night. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/BlackCurly/Smilies/patpat.gif

jcreback
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
every big stadium should have roof...wind 18-20 mph and wind gusts 25-32 at the moment there

Or the players can sack up and deal with the conditions like in every other outdoor sport in the world.

R.Federer
09-10-2009, 05:50 PM
3. The crowd is the LEAST educated in all of sports when it comes to knowledge about whom or what they're watching. Not once, but twice, people said that Rafa was from Portugal...and that Federer was from Sweden.

:haha:

Oh that's terrible! But funny. At another point they said Rafael was from Morocco ! :rolleyes:

Stensland
09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
on the plus side, when it comes to atmosphere i find the uso on par with the australian open. even though i've never been there, the hustle and bustle of the city itself translates well onto the courts - and many players happen to like it.

another thing: a friend of mine who's been to the uso in 04 and goes to tennis events regularly pointed out that compared to other big tournaments, people were generally very friendly and helpful, be it regarding directions, ticket advice etc.

so i'm not sure whether your experiences with the guys on the ground are really representative. maybe you just need to go abroad to check out how abysmal service can really be (yes, i mean you, paris, where people don't even speak english).

sawan66278
09-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Oh that's terrible! But funny. At another point they said Rafael was from Morocco ! :rolleyes:

You mean he's not related to Arazi? Oh...and I forgot to mention: at least 100 times, Simon was referred to as "Simon" with a long "i".

on the plus side, when it comes to atmosphere i find the uso on par with the australian open. even though i've never been there, the hustle and bustle of the city itself translates well onto the courts - and many players happen to like it.

another thing: a friend of mine who's been to the uso in 04 and goes to tennis events regularly pointed out that compared to other big tournaments, people were generally very friendly and helpful, be it regarding directions, ticket advice etc.

so i'm not sure whether your experiences with the guys on the ground are really representative. maybe you just need to go abroad to check out how abysmal service can really be (yes, i mean you, paris, where people don't even speak english).

Why can't this tourney be more like Miami or Cincinnati? Because the USTA is made up of imbeciles. Just listen to last night's broadcast on ESPN. Ivan Lendl was on...and he mentioned how he'd love to work with kids. The man is a FOUNTAIN of information, and very few players ever broke the game down to the level he did (and still does...his talking about strings was amazing). Does the USTA scoop him up to coach, as Cahill said they should? No...they'd rather go with Patrick McEnroe...the tennis equivalent of Robin to Johnny Mac's Batman.

MacTheKnife
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I agree, been to the USO many times and never had a negative experience. Night matches are friggin awesome. Scheduling can be a problem at any event and I like not having quarters played at the same time. I'm not for roofs either. Unless every court is covered, that can create a good possibility of even MORE disadvantaged players in many situations.
I've been to 3 of the 4 slams and all have their positives and negatives. Never been to the AO because 24 hours on a plane is not for me.

sawan66278
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
One other negative:

1. Placing the Williams sisters doubles matches on marquee courts AHEAD of important singles matches (like today)...when it is clear the weather will be awful over the next few days...and lead to an unfair advantage for the top half of the draw where Federer is waiting. Oh...I forgot...that's what THEY want to happen.:devil:

IDJ49
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
What are you talking about? They have to have 3 matches on center court today.That's what people paid a lot of money for. Plus it's not supposed to rain until this evening. The only match it would effect is the evening one.

Start da Game
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
One other negative:

1. Placing the Williams sisters doubles matches on marquee courts AHEAD of important singles matches (like today)...when it is clear the weather will be awful over the next few days...and lead to an unfair advantage for the top half of the draw where Federer is waiting. Oh...I forgot...that's what THEY want to happen.:devil:

us open is by far the worst of all grandslams for several reasons........basketball, baseball, american football and other american sports are clearly the dominating sports over there and majority of the people who watch us open are just casual followers who know jackshit about the sport.......they know one name - federer, like tiger woods in golf for casual followers of that sport.......the organizers are more worried about the ratings than the comfort of the players and the quality of tennis.......hence the suffocating saturday-sunday(usually off days for americans) hurried up shit ending the tournament.......the fact that they reversed the semis schedule itself last year(ditching the no.1 seed) for the reason that fed-djoke match had more tv ratings than rafa-murray match shows their madness.......

SetTheory
09-10-2009, 06:55 PM
They should rename it the Walmart Open.

mcnasty
09-10-2009, 07:04 PM
the organizers are more worried about the ratings than the comfort of the players and the quality of tennis.......hence the suffocating saturday-sunday(usually off days for americans) hurried up shit ending the tournament.......

That's not true. The Saturday/Sunday double whammy applies only to the men finalists regardless of nationality.

It is predicated on ratings, however, and there I agree with you: it sucks for the players involved.

Start da Game
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
That's not true. The Saturday/Sunday double whammy applies to men semifinalists regardless of nationality.

It is predicated on ratings, however, and there I agree with you: it sucks for the players involved.

i too said regardless of nationality of the semifinalists involved.......what i meant is, their idea is to get more people watching crunch time tennis(semis and finals) and increase tv ratings.......saturday and sunday being off days usually for americans(am i right?), they prefer the double whammy to conducting the semis on a working day, friday.......players suffer but organizers benefit......

jcreback
09-10-2009, 07:17 PM
i too said regardless of nationality of the semifinalists involved.......what i meant is, their idea is to get more people watching crunch time tennis(semis and finals) and increase tv ratings.......saturday and sunday being off days usually for americans(am i right?), they prefer the double whammy to conducting the semis on a working day, friday.......players suffer but organizers benefit......

I don't know if this is totally true. The problem is that both Saturday and Sunday are big days for American football (college on Saturday, professional on Sunday). In many ways, I am not sure US ratings wouldn't be higher for the men's semis if they were held on Friday night instead.

Action Jackson
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Stupid Saturday = all about TV.

Ariel
09-10-2009, 07:19 PM
A huge disgrace for the guards is that I entered players lounge without any ID through the back door of the restoraunt-entered than to the hall and passed so many security guards who did not even notice that I do not have any ID!Funny,but I huge disgrace for the whole security sistem who just seems to work perfect!

That's absolutely a scream. The back door of the restaurant which is accessible to anyone gets you into the players lounge past the guards? I'm not surprised. Look at the great security they had for Rafa the other night after the match when a fan jumped over the first row rail and ran to hug him. I almost fell off my chair. In the time it took "security" to react, Rafa could have been hurt.

Which reminds me, the security in checking bags at the entrance is pretty lax. It depends who you get. I can generally tell who will be a stickler and who won't be. But the one time this year I didn't pick correctly, I had one bag checker tell me to go over to the side and drink my canned iced tea before going in. No cans allowed. Could be used for explosives. After telling him I had nothing of danger in my other bag and getting by him, I opened the can and deliberately drank it as I was going through the turnstile. No one batted an eye. I rest my case.

Start da Game
09-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't know if this is totally true. The problem is that both Saturday and Sunday are big days for American football (college on Saturday, professional on Sunday). In many ways, I am not sure US ratings wouldn't be higher for the men's semis if they were held on Friday night instead.

whatever, but they have to bring in a few changes and save the players, sunday start for example will enhance the flexibility and allow them to conduct semis on friday, giving players time to breath before the final.......quality of the final will improve as well......

there are so many players who can play well on hardcourts but we hardly had a battle in any of the last few years' finals.......for example, murray had under 20 hours to prepare for the final last year due to the mad scheduling.......

mcnasty
09-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally the men's semifinals were held on Fridays (as they should be). Rain wiped out men's semifinal play in 1984, a Friday. The result was Super Saturday. Three unbelievable matches, featuring the two mens semifinal matches plus the women's final. Since then they went with the Saturday/Sunday format, thinking it'll be a perpetual Super Saturday. Dumb.

Start da Game
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally the men's semifinals were held on Fridays (as they should be). Rain wiped out men's semifinal play in 1984, a Friday. The result was Super Saturday. Three unbelievable matches, featuring the two mens semifinal matches plus the women's final. Since then they went with the Saturday/Sunday format, thinking it'll be a perpetual Super Saturday. Dumb.

oh, i din't know that......thanks for the info......

that is dumb for sure......previously until 2000s or so, as we know players were mostly serve and volleyers.......even baseliners used to be more attack oriented, going for lines and punching the opponents left and right.......as a result, on an average basis, points used to end much quicker compared to these days.......so the time spent on court was much lesser.......

these days, that's not quite the case for obvious reasons, it's all baseline stuff, more time being spent on the court.......so, they better get back to the friday semis.......

MacTheKnife
09-10-2009, 08:05 PM

I liked the way they used to do it playing one men's semi, then the women's final, then the last men's semi. The funny thing is this Sat/Sun thing used to be a lot tougher on players than it is now. I remember McEnroe playing some 5 set doubles matches in there too. At least these guys don't deal with doubles too.

Ariel
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, Sawan, you've certainly gotten a lot of attention with this thread. I was glad to hear somewhere in there that you actually had some fun at the Open.

I agree with you on many of your points about the Open. I've attended this event every year for the past 25 years and 2009 may be my last. (I say "maybe" because even with all the crap going on, it is still my local tournament and I feel like a kid in a candy shop every time I go through the turnstiles)

This year is the worst year I have seen in terms of crowds. The problem is the day passes and the evolution of the selling process for them. When they were first introduced, you could only get them on the day of the event in person and in limited quantity. About two years ago, they started to sell them online prior to the tournament like regular tickets. And in plentiful supply. This year ( I believe it's the first) they are now selling grounds passes for the second week when there are a limited number of marquee matches available. So if you don't have Ashe tickets, you're paying $45-$50 to see doubles and juniors matches. The line for the Armstrong match between Soderling and Davydenko had to be a quarter of a mile long. That's just downright unfair to the fans. There is no limit to how many bodies you can cram into the facility according to the organizers. They were also selling $10 grounds night passes for the second week. Unheard of. The greed is out of control. That's my biggest complaint. Since a lot of the people I spoke to this year have never been to the U.S. Open before, they don't know any better. It's a happening that they want to be a part of. That's fine......for them. And yeah, they have no clue about the game or the players but that's okay by me. We talked about digital cameras and the new IPhone US Open application on the long lines. :)

The food court - twice the size of last year's. It's a maze that practically has to be negotiated if you want to get to Armstrong and Ashe in less than 30 minutes. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang anyone? Since I bring enough grub and drink for 9 hours it's one royal pain in the ass.

The water fountains were at a trickle. Not surprising. Everything is run on the cheap. So the lines to refill bottles were long. Another opportunity to socialize but I didn't come to the Open to do only that.

Yes, things seemed to be available to some and not to others like the little AMEX TV monitors which I thought were discontinued this year. But you folks are telling me they were available on first come first served basis. Oh well.

There sure is a lot to complain about but I'm done with mine. Enjoyment of this event does depend on one's ability to negotiate the surroundings and the "elements". It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Just don't think it will be me next year. It's time for me to see some smaller tournaments outside NYC.

mcnasty
09-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I liked the way they used to do it playing one men's semi, then the women's final, then the last men's semi. The funny thing is this Sat/Sun thing used to be a lot tougher on players than it is now. I remember McEnroe playing some 5 set doubles matches in there too. At least these guys don't deal with doubles too.

The women wanted primetime and I don't blame the USTA for obliging. Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova opened up play at 1pm (or thereabouts) on that first Super Saturday -- LOL.

Topspin Forehand
09-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Stupid Saturday is why I hate the US Open. Plus they put Nadal on at night when the weather forecast said yesterday they could not go on then. :(

Heners
09-10-2009, 11:50 PM
i dont hate the "US OPEN" but this year there have been some major upsets and low round exits by seeded players.

nobama
09-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Stupid Saturday is why I hate the US Open. Plus they put Nadal on at night when the weather forecast said yesterday they could not go on then. :(:confused: They can't base their schedule on a weather forecast prediction. Especially when most of the time weather forcasters are wrong. :lol:

SheepleBuster
09-11-2009, 01:59 AM
Stop it guys. This is all fake. They knew beforehand that this could happen. US is a big market for Rafa which is why McEnroe is pushing him hard. They want him to have insurmountable odds against him. But Nadal will overcome the odds. Beat Gonzo and Delpo in straights and beat Fed in 4 sets. Complete the grand slam and then declare himself Lord Jesus Christ.

guga2120
09-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Stupid Saturday = all about TV.

This is certainly the truth. Only in America.

abraxas21
09-11-2009, 02:07 AM
fucking uso, man. the fuckers knew it was gonna rain and they still had to put nadal-gonzo match at the scheduled time.

jcreback
09-11-2009, 02:14 AM
fucking uso, man. the fuckers knew it was gonna rain and they still had to put nadal-gonzo match at the scheduled time.

ESPN said that the match was supposed to start around 7:40 and they moved it up to 7:00 because of the weather.

mr_burns
09-11-2009, 02:15 AM
my contriubution:

They don't let NS ticket holders in on late matches played on Armstrong when day session is still going on there, although there are enough seats...

They need a better benue for the video screen like in Wimbledon (but that's not my biggest concern)

abraxas21
09-11-2009, 02:18 AM
ESPN said that the match was supposed to start around 7:40 and they moved it up to 7:00 because of the weather.

kinda weird. the commentators of ESPN Latin America said gonzo's couch was complaining to the organizers for having scheduled the match at a time in which they knew that was going to be suspended by the rain.

in any case, i don't think 40 min make much of a difference.

jcreback
09-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Well, there wasn't much they could do. It wasn't like the day session ended at 3:00. Del Potro probably didn't get off the court until almost 6, so at the earliest they could have gotten on court at 6:30. They got them to start playing at around 7:10. Pretty good if you ask me.

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 02:35 AM
They should reschedule the match now. If they hold Rafa and Fernando until mid night pretending they are drying the courts, then it's a solid proof that organizers don't give a shit about fair play. And all the talks about "they did what they could" is nonsense.

jcreback
09-11-2009, 02:35 AM
They are on the court now about to play. What the hell are you talking about?

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Yes? For how long? 5 minutes warm-up? :mad:

jcreback
09-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Yes, they are going to have a five minute warmup (as they do after all rain delays). Then, they are going to play points that count and everything. Shocking I know.

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Hypocrites. No surprise here.

jcreback
09-11-2009, 02:44 AM
How am I hypocrite? Rain happens, the US Open didn't plan rain around a Nadal match to screw him. He is playing in primetime because he is the featured match today (you know, they think he is good and all). It rained, so they stopped play and are now restarting. What exactly is hard to figure out?

Roddickominator
09-11-2009, 02:45 AM
How am I hypocrite? Rain happens, the US Open didn't plan rain around a Nadal match to screw him. He is playing in primetime because he is the featured match today (you know, they think he is good and all). It rained, so they stopped play and are now restarting. What exactly is hard to figure out?

Don't mind them, let the haters hate and complain. They need something to occupy their pathetic existences to make them feel better about themselves.

IDJ49
09-11-2009, 02:58 AM
kinda weird. the commentators of ESPN Latin America said gonzo's couch was complaining to the organizers for having scheduled the match at a time in which they knew that was going to be suspended by the rain.

in any case, i don't think 40 min make much of a difference.

What exactly would they like the organizers to do? They sold tickets to a night session match. How could they play the match at any other time? At the end of the day it's still a business they were never going to refund 20,000 ticket sales especially when the weather forecast only called for showers not torrential downpours as was the case last year.

straitup
09-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Yes, they are going to have a five minute warmup (as they do after all rain delays). Then, they are going to play points that count and everything. Shocking I know.

:lol: I love it

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 03:29 AM

Yes, you are hypocrite. So is everyone who says that the USO organizers are objective. They just scheduled Serena's match at 12.30 tomorrow, as the first match! Why? Certainly the Williams match is much more important than Wozniacki-Vickmayer which is just a laugh. What about the so called influence of TV? No, the only reason they scheduled Serena to play first is the weather forecast! Whoever tells now that 12.30 is prime time for American TV is a lier and hypocrite.

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 03:31 AM
What exactly would they like the organizers to do? They sold tickets to a night session match. How could they play the match at any other time? At the end of the day it's still a business they were never going to refund 20,000 ticket sales especially when the weather forecast only called for showers not torrential downpours as was the case last year.

They should have scheduled single semis first and then put the Willaimses' double for the evening. No one would have blamed them for that, after all, it's USO, not a Chilean AO.

jcreback
09-11-2009, 03:32 AM
They should have scheduled single semis first and then put the Willaimses' double for the evening. No one would have blamed them for that, after all, it's USO, not a Chilean AO.

Because if they tried selling tickets to this night session that was billed ahead of time as a men's QF with a women's doubles match they would A) be lying to people who bought tickets and B) looking at an empty stadium

TennisAddicted
09-11-2009, 03:33 AM
It wasnt enough for organizers, Murray playing last USO final without 1day rest, they knew this could happen and do nothing.

+1 i hate this tournament!

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 03:40 AM
Because if they tried selling tickets to this night session that was billed ahead of time as a men's QF with a women's doubles match they would A) be lying to people who bought tickets and B) looking at an empty stadium

Here he comes again, the essence of American hypocrisy :ras:

Look at tomorrow's schedule-- it's Serena vs Kim first! Does anyone care about seats? No, because they know it'll rain and they want Williams to have the best chance to finish semi.

And then, let's bet that Fed's match will be scheduled first even though no comparison with the importance of the second semifinal.

Hypocrites and bold liers, all these Americans are. I'd be damn stunned if any of them told something different from what ESPN says.

Chloe le Bopper
09-11-2009, 03:52 AM
The USO is absolute balls for a variety of reasons, but I would go again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose!

ugotlobbed
09-11-2009, 04:12 AM
i totally agree the crowd is just ridiculously immature and so rowdy for the wrong reasons, they just simply dont understand tennis, this is one time i say the french have an upper hand on us lol

SerenaFederer
09-11-2009, 04:31 AM
you are aware that serena is in 2 tournaments so they are trying to get her on and off for that reason :lol: conspiracy theory...

TennisAddicted
09-11-2009, 04:49 AM
doubles, very tiring stuff! :p

gulzhan
09-11-2009, 04:56 AM
you are aware that serena is in 2 tournaments so they are trying to get her on and off for that reason :lol: conspiracy theory...

No, this one is a real gem :yeah: Now of course, they schedule Serena to play first tomorrow so that she has rest before the doubles final :lol:

You guys are really shameless, aren't you?

Doggy
09-11-2009, 05:13 AM

OMG I know. White post-menopausal women are the ugliest bitches ever. Please stop thinking you're so hot, you piece of street trash. :rolleyes:

nobama
09-11-2009, 05:19 AM
How am I hypocrite? Rain happens, the US Open didn't plan rain around a Nadal match to screw him. He is playing in primetime because he is the featured match today (you know, they think he is good and all). It rained, so they stopped play and are now restarting. What exactly is hard to figure out?Stop it your making too much sense.

Sunset of Age
09-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Stop it your making too much sense.

+1.

Apart from your siggie, though. :ras: :cool:

SheepleBuster
09-11-2009, 05:23 AM
So the play is stopped?

hilluis
09-11-2009, 05:27 AM
So the play is stopped?

Yes. Play has been suspended. Do they have to wait until after midnight before they make the announcement? According to weather forecasts, looks as if rain is going to be constant tomorrow....

Castafiore
09-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Stop it your making too much sense.
It's beside the point.

The rain was foreseeable and so, they could have made their schedule better.
They didn't for a number of reasons that has nothing to do with what's best for the players.

nobama
09-11-2009, 05:29 AM
+1.

Apart from your siggie, though. :ras: :cool:Everything Jimmy Connors said is true. :D

Sunset of Age
09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Everything Jimmy Connors said is true. :D

Your sig is still stating CRAP though.

Okay, okay, the Connors bit isn't all too bad. The rest still is. :cool:

Action Jackson
09-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Seriously, people didn't expect the US Open to schedule Nadal/Gonzo at the same time as the del Potro/Cilic match with the threat of rain about.

Castafiore
09-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Seriously, people didn't expect the US Open to schedule Nadal/Gonzo at the same time as the del Potro/Cilic match with the threat of rain about.
Now that would be making too much sense.

ImmzB
09-11-2009, 05:34 AM
so is rafa first on court tomorow whats happening will the match start earlier around 3pm

Lee
09-11-2009, 05:37 AM
It's beside the point.

The rain was foreseeable and so, they could have made their schedule better.
They didn't for a number of reasons that has nothing to do with what's best for the players.

The rain was forecast yesterday too. And we all know how accurate a weather forecast can be, no matter how many millions dollars of gadget you have.

The tournament already rearranged the schedule for rain forecast but they still have to put that many matches on schedule and we all know that night session ticket holders (who actually PAID to watch) will be seriously mad if there's no men's QF scheduled for night session.

Aenea
09-11-2009, 05:44 AM
The rain was forecast yesterday too. And we all know how accurate a weather forecast can be, no matter how many millions dollars of gadget you have.

The tournament already rearranged the schedule for rain forecast but they still have to put that many matches on schedule and we all know that night session ticket holders (who actually PAID to watch) will be seriously mad if there's no men's QF scheduled for night session.

And who's tickets won't be honored for the rest of the match :lol:

Surcouf
09-11-2009, 05:46 AM

The players are more important. They should just cancel these nights sessions and schedule all the match after the others like it should be done.

Lee
09-11-2009, 05:58 AM
The players are more important. They should just cancel these nights sessions and schedule all the match after the others like it should be done.

Yes I know. USTA should only consider men's singles players are REAL players. Forget about Serena has to play doubles today and singles tomorrow and Paes has to play mixed doubles today and men's doubles tomorrow. The women's doubles SF and mixed doubles should be the last to play and to hell if rain delayed so they have to play 2 matches tomorrow. Forget about the 16 hours resting between matches because the men's single players have to have tomorrow off. :shrug:

Aenea
09-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Yes I know. USTA should only consider men's singles players are REAL players. Forget about Serena has to play doubles today and singles tomorrow and Paes has to play mixed doubles today and men's doubles tomorrow. The women's doubles SF and mixed doubles should be the last to play and to hell if rain delayed so they have to play 2 matches tomorrow. Forget about the 16 hours resting between matches because the men's single players have to have tomorrow off. :shrug:

It is men who are playing best of 5 :rolleyes: that's why it's more important for them to finish their matches on time and have sufficient rest.

Surcouf
09-11-2009, 06:03 AM

Double are not as gruelling as simple, not even close, and at worst women can play 2 match in best of 3 in 2 days. They are used to it.

And you won't convince me that there was no court at all available for Nadal-Gonzalez before that. They just want to make money and don't want to refund ticket holders. They don't care about the players.

TMJordan
09-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Greedy American pigs.

victory1
09-11-2009, 06:06 AM
It is men who are playing best of 5 :rolleyes: that's why it's more important for them to finish their matches on time and have sufficient rest.

Please, in this case, it does not come into play, Nadal will beat Gonzo in straights; so the most he'll be out there is an hour!:wavey:

Lee
09-11-2009, 06:09 AM

They were scheduled to have tomorrow off and they won't be playing until Saturday. They can play 6 best of 3 matches in 7 days in 1000 events, and most players said it's less physically demanding in slam even they play best of 5.

Aenea
09-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Double are not as gruelling as simple, not even close, and at worst women can play 2 match in best of 3 in 2 days. They are used to it.

And you won't convince me that there was no court at all available for Nadal-Gonzalez before that. They just want to make money and don't want to refund ticket holders. They don't care about the players.

Right. I'm with you on that.

Please, in this case, it does not come into play, Nadal will beat Gonzo in straights; so the most he'll be out there is an hour!:wavey:

Sure, sure. I'd pay to see your honest opinion if it was Rogi instead of Rafa involved in that match :wavey:

TMJordan
09-11-2009, 06:14 AM
We all know that if Federer was in Nadals sitauation the Fedtards would be bitching like no tommorow saying how life is unfair and they want to commit suicide.

sawan66278
09-11-2009, 07:32 AM
We all know that if Federer was in Nadals sitauation the Fedtards would be bitching like no tommorow saying how life is unfair and they want to commit suicide.

Exactly. Seeing the officials even THINKING about playing when the rain started shows how little regard they have for the players. Gonzo did the right thing in refusing to play...but the fact that the officials even considered it: signs of a tourney almost not worth playing...career slam be damned.

JediFed
09-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Nadal has had two hours of court time, and they aren't even through the second set. Perhaps Nadal should consider a style more conducive to working around rain delays. One of the reasons it affects Federer less, is because he spends less time on court.

tea
09-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Fed has never been in Nadal's situation. He is always lucky. That's the only reason he won so many slams. Otherwise Rafito would have been named the GOAT 3 years ago. But all of them hate him. All the world hates him.:hysteric:

Start da Game
09-11-2009, 08:10 AM
us open is the worst slam of all.......it should downgraded to a masters event renaming it something like newyork 1000........

Start da Game
09-11-2009, 08:30 AM
us open rascals have once again successfully messed up rafa's schedule.......they knew it was going to rain and still persisted with that hopeless schedule........it has become their habit to spray around this 'prime time' donkey-shit as an excuse every time this happens, as if us open is only for US followers and rest of the world are not bothered about it.......why the heck should people treat it a grandslam if they are not concerned about fairplay at all and are least bothered about players? players should not care about this useless slam anymore which is organized by a bunch of money-minded morons........

Langers
09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Well, there wasn't much they could do. It wasn't like the day session ended at 3:00. Del Potro probably didn't get off the court until almost 6, so at the earliest they could have gotten on court at 6:30. They got them to start playing at around 7:10. Pretty good if you ask me.
Ahh here's an idea:

Ashe:

Women's doubles
Del Potro/Cilic
Nadal/Gonzalez

Ashe NS:

Mixed doubles OR put this match (does ANYONE care about it) to Armstrong/Grandstand.

A_Skywalker
09-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Fed has never been in Nadal's situation. He is always lucky. That's the only reason he won so many slams. Otherwise Rafito would have been named the GOAT 3 years ago. But all of them hate him. All the world hates him.:hysteric:

do you deny Nadal was screwed at least 3 times in slams ?

2 times in arow at USO.

Your comments are stupid just like you, open your eyes and see it, your crying boy always gets the best schedule, cause they dont want to see him cry again, but I hope Rafa will wet his eyes again this year.

Bargearse
09-11-2009, 09:40 AM

I've heard before that Fed likes to play as early as possible. Some have disputed this and said he enjoys playing at night, but I disagree. The earlier the match, the better chance of completing the match when there are rain delays and long drawn out matches played prior to his. Makes sense to me.

Poor Rafa has been affected by rain delays. I think it was (correct me if I'm wrong) Wimbledon 2007 when it took him like 3 or 4 days to finish a match and he joked that Federer went on holidays in the meantime. Maybe they need a roof at the US Open. Arthur Ashe is a huge space to cover, but it might be a good idea, no?

Bargearse
09-11-2009, 09:45 AM
us open rascals have once again successfully messed up rafa's schedule.......they knew it was going to rain and still persisted with that hopeless schedule........it has become their habit to spray around this 'prime time' donkey-shit as an excuse every time this happens, as if us open is only for US followers and rest of the world are not bothered about it.......why the heck should people treat it a grandslam if they are not concerned about fairplay at all and are least bothered about players? players should not care about this useless slam anymore which is organized by a bunch of money-minded morons........

In the US, it's all about the television ratings at the expense of fair play and what's best in general for the players and the game of tennis. Remember when they hosted the World Cup they wanted all of these provisions to accommodate commercial timeouts etc??? Typical horseshit.

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
the half of rafa-gonzo cant win now due to the schedule and organizers

US open is not a Slam in my book.

Stupido

Sports is about fairness too. Not just Luck.
The winner of Djoker- Fed probably Fed will win
us easy. Probably Retirement.

Bye