The " Homecoming Okaerinasai AIG Open ;) " thread! 3rd rd lost to RG 1-6 2-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The " Homecoming Okaerinasai AIG Open ;) " thread! 3rd rd lost to RG 1-6 2-6

*esther*
09-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Assuming Kei's next tournament is Japan Open, here's some info about the Open :
http://aigopen.jp/08/articles/photo/mainvisual.jpg
Tournament Name: AIG JAPAN OPEN TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2008
Dates: SEPTEMBER 29-OCTOBER 5, 2008
Prize Money: US $869,000 (US $769,000)
48 DRAW (Q24)

SITE: ARIAKE TENNIS FOREST PARK/ARIAKE COLOSSEUM
2-2-22 ARIAKE, KOTO-KU
TOKYO, 135-0063 JAPAN
SURFACE: HARDCOURT
BALL: SRIXON made by Dunlop
PRIZE MONEY: US DOLLARS
WEB SITE: http://aigopen.jp/08/index.shtml

Qualifying draw: Friday, September 26, 9:00 p.m.
Main draw: Saturday, September 27, 4:00 p.m.
Doubles draw: Saturday, September 27, 6:00 p.m.

ATP Ranking Points/ATP Race Points
W: 250/50
F: 175/35
SF: 110/22
QF: 60/12
R16: 25/5
R32: 15/3 (Seeds: 0/0)
R64: 0/0
Q: +5/+1
Q12: 3/0
Q24: 1/0

Main Draw

[1] David Ferrer (ESP) bye
Jesse Levine (USA) - Viktor Troicki (SRB)
[WC] Yuichi Sugita (JPN) - [WC] Takao Suzuki (JPN)
[15] Simone Bolelli (ITA) bye

[11] Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) bye
Qualifier - Qualifier
Dudi Sela (ISR) - Bjorn Phau (GER)
[5] Juan-Martin Del Potro (ARG) bye

[4] Richard Gasquet (FRA) bye
Qualifier - Donald Young (USA)
Kei Nishikori (JPN) - Robert Kendrick (USA)
[16] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) bye

[12] Rainer Schuettler (GER) bye
[WC] Satoshi Iwabuchi (JPN) - Hyung-Taik Lee (KOR)
Flavio Cipolla (ITA) - Ivan Navarro-Pastor (ESP)
[8] Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) bye

[6] Tommy Robredo (ESP) bye
Joseph Sirianni (AUS) - Qualifier
Roko Karanusic (CRO) - Qualifier
[9] Tomas Berdych (CZE) bye

[13] Samuel Querrey (USA) bye
Go Soeda (JPN) - Amer Delic (USA)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) - Qualifier
[3] Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) bye

[7] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) bye
Bobby Reynolds (USA) - [WC] Tatsuma Ito (JPN)
Wayne Odesnik (USA) - Kevin Kim (USA)
[10] Gael Monfils (FRA) bye

[14] Jurgen Melzer (AUT) bye
Simon Stadler (GER) - Philipp Petzschner (GER)
Ivo Minar (CZE) - Mihail Zverev (GER)
[2] Andy Roddick (USA) bye

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=131987

DhammaTiger
09-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Thank you guys for making this happen.:hug: :hug:
Hello *esther* :wavey: thank you for your efforts and let us have a great forum. Kei, you made us proud :worship:

Papakori
09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
:woohoo:
Excellent news. I just came back from my French class and found the forum. :bounce:

By the way, what is this thread for? :scratch: I don't understand.

Naranoc
09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Congrats on the new forum :yeah: Loads of empty space to do with as you wish :p

How many people posted in the thread that he had previously?

Cindy19
09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Congratulation!

09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Great to see Kei get his Forum :woohoo: But I was sad that he lost to Juan :sad: Still Juan is playing excellent tennis right now. He has won 4 Tournaments in a row :eek:

DhammaTiger
09-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Congratulation!

Hello my love, u don't come to visit me o, I come here :hug:
Isn't it great that Kei has a whole forum fo himself :yippee:

Cindy19
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Great to see Kei get his Forum :woohoo: But I was sad that he lost to Juan :sad: Still Juan is playing excellent tennis right now. He has won 4 Tournaments in a row :eek:

Hey Mae! Glad to find you here again :hug:

Cindy19
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Hello my love, u don't come to visit me o, I come here :hug:
Isn't it great that Kei has a whole forum fo himself :yippee:

I am sorry Ali, i dont have the enough time to catch them all.

09-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Mae! Glad to find you here again :hug:
I think I will be here as much as possible. I know the people in here will be nice :D Does anyone know where Kei will play next? Cindy I have started playing Mah Jong.
But what are yin and yang? Sorry I don't think I spelled them right. My spelling in English is bad enough so I'm completely lost with another language :rolleyes:

09-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I am sorry Ali, i dont have the enough time to catch them all.
You know I have the same problem. Especially now since I have to be careful with my wrist :sad: I just can't go to post in all the places I want to post now :sad: I just like too many players I guess :lol:

Papakori
09-02-2008, 03:22 PM
:rocker2:

*esther*
09-04-2008, 08:27 AM
No info about Kei's next tournament. :)

09-05-2008, 10:43 PM
*esther* since we are going to go with the separate Tournament threads this thread either needs to be closed or merged with the chat thread. I don't know if you have ever done this before? So you need to PM a Super Moderator--I would suggest either ~*Carlita*~ or Neely and tell them what you would like done with this thread. And somehow we need to find out where Kei is going to play next?

*esther*
09-06-2008, 07:21 AM
I think i will change the title to a tournament thread once i get to know his next tournament. ;)

*bunny*
09-07-2008, 09:45 AM
He has pulled out from the Tulsa challenger next week.
On Japanes TV he was saying that his next tournament will be in Japan, so I'm guessing he may not play until AIG Japan Open which starts on Sept. 29. He's the first on the alternate list, so, considering the tournament's history of many last minute withdrawals, I think he will definitely make it to the main draw.

Don't know what he will be doing before that, maybe some media commitment and recovering fitness?

09-08-2008, 03:34 AM
I think i will change the title to a tournament thread once i get to know his next tournament. ;)
*esther* you are way ahead of me :p I never thought about doing that at all :lol: And it is so much easier and quicker to do it that way :D Kei's Forum is in good hands ;)

*esther*
09-08-2008, 08:27 AM
*esther* you are way ahead of me :p I never thought about doing that at all :lol: And it is so much easier and quicker to do it that way :D Kei's Forum is in good hands ;)

No problem, Mae. We used to do it in The Asian Assault section. We just don't want the forum looks messy.;) So, we'll minimize our thread as least as possible to avoid the messy.:angel:

*bunny*
09-11-2008, 06:54 AM
Kei is 4th on the alternate list for Basel, which starts on Oct. 20. As it is a small tournamsnt with a 32-men draw, there may not be four withdrawals, in which case I think he will play qualies. (The qualification entry list won't be available until nearer the tournament.)
There are three tournaments that week, Basel, Lyon and St. Petersburg. I suspect Kei chose Basel hoping he will have a chance to have a crack at Federer!

Reaz
09-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I really feel the "Kei promise" for Asian tennis in general.He really has to be more fit as he had retired many times already this year.I think this takes some gloss away from his otherwise successful year so far.Have a look at Del potro for example-see how fit and strong he is.Sure Kei cannot have such height but he has to make himself more fit.It is absolutely imperative.

When does he play next though?

Venle
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Kei fans :wavey:

Just wanted to stop by and say that I'm really happy Kei got a forum :)
He's a really talented youngster, and it's nice to see some Asians on-tour as well.

Good luck for his next tournaments!

--

*esther*
09-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Hi Venla, nice to see you here. :wavey:

*esther*
09-17-2008, 02:29 AM
I really feel the "Kei promise" for Asian tennis in general.He really has to be more fit as he had retired many times already this year.I think this takes some gloss away from his otherwise successful year so far.Have a look at Del potro for example-see how fit and strong he is.Sure Kei cannot have such height but he has to make himself more fit.It is absolutely imperative.

When does he play next though?

I think he will playing AIG Open. I checked other tournaments entry list, i didn't see his name, assuming he wanna rest before the Japan Open ;)

Sorry Reaz, i didn't see your post here. I missed it.

09-21-2008, 03:47 AM
No problem, Mae. We used to do it in The Asian Assault section. We just don't want the forum looks messy.;) So, we'll minimize our thread as least as possible to avoid the messy.:angel:
Kei's Forum looks great :D *esther* and everyone else you are doing a wonderful job :worship: I think with Kei moving to Florida that will help him get in shape physically. The Florida weather is very hot and humid. And if he can stand practicing there he will be in great shape for Tournaments in the future ;)

*bunny*
09-22-2008, 06:29 AM
Hey esther,
Blakd and Cilic have pulled out from AIG Open, and Pashanski from the alternate. So both Kei and Soeda are in the MD! Please change the opening post when you can. Thanx! ;)

*esther*
09-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Updated ;)

kinokino
09-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Kei came back to Japan yesterday!!!
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20080924-00000040-jijp-spo.view-000

He seems tired a little after the long trip but according to the news report, he is in very fine shape.
There is a 14-hour time difference between Florida and Tokyo. This is very hard jet lag. Early this month, I went to US EST, but I have not gotten over the jet lag yet :o
I wish Kei will show his good performance in Tokyo, Japan :yeah:

~Maya~
09-25-2008, 02:08 AM
Good luck Kei :rocker2:

hcfoo
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Anyone can translate this?

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/other/080924/oth0809241602003-n1.htm

Here are the pictures Kei responding questions to reporters at a press conference at Narita Airport yesterday afternoon.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/sports/other/080924/oth0809241602003-p2.jpg

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/sports/other/080924/oth0809241602003-p1.jpg

DhammaTiger
09-25-2008, 11:56 AM
hcfoo,Thanks for the pics :yeah: Good luck in Tokyo, Kei :)

*esther*
09-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Great to see him back to the homeland. :hug:

kinokino
09-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Anyone can translate this?
Here are the pictures Kei responding questions to reporters at a press conference at Narita Airport yesterday afternoon.

Hi hcfoo! Here is the summary...
Kei has said he is in pretty fine shape and able to play as good as US open. Looking back at the year, he grew up mentally and will do his best to win in AIG open.

*bunny*
09-27-2008, 02:45 AM
Kei gave tennis clinic to about 20 kids in Tokyo on Thursday, showing them how to hit the famous "Air K."

http://journal.mycom.co.jp/news/2008/09/25/067/
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20080925087.html
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/other/080925/oth0809252001002-n1.htm
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/jot08/news/20080925-OYT1T00648.htm

In those articles he was quoted as saying, "The most important thing [for children] is that they like tennis. Hope they'll enjoy playing the game. [...] The stronger you become, the more fun it becomes" and "I'll be happy if I'll have [younger] Japanese rivals," et al.
On how to hit that jumping forehand, he told them that the timing is very important, they must watch the ball till the end.
Kids apparently asked him which subjects he liked at school, and he answered he liked gym best and he didn't like studying very much. :lol:
And when asked about the upcoming Japan Open, he reportedly said "Last year I lost in the first round, so my goal for this year is to win in the first round." But he also apparenly said he hoped to have a chance to revenge on Del Potro!
But it was only the day after his arrival in Japan, so one of the articles said that he was seen yawning at times. Poor boy. :lol:

(The above quotes are my translations so it's not official!)

======================
edit:
Just found this site that has a video clip from Thursday's Kei Nishikori Junior Tennis Clinic: :)
http://www.fnn-news.com/news/headlines/articles/CONN00141244.html

In the interview at the end, which is quoted in part in the articles whose links I posted above, Kei said:
"I haven't had an experience like this before. I hope the kids will like tennis more. I also hope the tennis population in Japan will grow, so activities like this has been fun. It will be nice if Japan gets more strong players and I hope to play with them as rivals."
(Again, it's not official translation!)

*bunny*
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Draw is out!
Kei will face Kendrick in the first round. Good luck!! :ricker2:

(to esther, could you please cut and paste the draw in the top post? Thx! :))

[1] David Ferrer (ESP) bye
Jesse Levine (USA) - Viktor Troicki (SRB)
[WC] Yuichi Sugita (JPN) - [WC] Takao Suzuki (JPN)
[15] Simone Bolelli (ITA) bye

[11] Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) bye
Qualifier - Qualifier
Dudi Sela (ISR) - Bjorn Phau (GER)
[5] Juan-Martin Del Potro (ARG) bye

[4] Richard Gasquet (FRA) bye
Qualifier - Donald Young (USA)
Kei Nishikori (JPN) - Robert Kendrick (USA)
[16] Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (ESP) bye

[12] Rainer Schuettler (GER) bye
[WC] Satoshi Iwabuchi (JPN) - Hyung-Taik Lee (KOR)
Flavio Cipolla (ITA) - Ivan Navarro-Pastor (ESP)
[8] Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) bye

[6] Tommy Robredo (ESP) bye
Joseph Sirianni (AUS) - Qualifier
Roko Karanusic (CRO) - Qualifier
[9] Tomas Berdych (CZE) bye

[13] Samuel Querrey (USA) bye
Go Soeda (JPN) - Amer Delic (USA)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) - Qualifier
[3] Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) bye

[7] Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) bye
Bobby Reynolds (USA) - [WC] Tatsuma Ito (JPN)
Wayne Odesnik (USA) - Kevin Kim (USA)
[10] Gael Monfils (FRA) bye

[14] Jurgen Melzer (AUT) bye
Simon Stadler (GER) - Philipp Petzschner (GER)
Ivo Minar (CZE) - Mihail Zverev (GER)
[2] Andy Roddick (USA) bye

kinokino
09-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the articles, bunny!!!
You are really good at translating ;)

And now, the main draw!

If he keeps going on, there will be Kei-Gasquet in the third round. I wanna see this match. It's so exciting :D

Papakori
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
quite a nice draw!

Alex.
09-27-2008, 08:12 PM
I like the draw. Good luck Kei! :D

Lovely pictures as well. Thanks to everyone for them. :cool:

*esther*
09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
A decent draw, IMO :lol:

He's in Ferrer's half. ;P

*bunny*
09-28-2008, 02:29 AM
A story in English about Kei's press conference after the draw yesterday. :)
I think he was speaking in Japanese at the conference.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20080928TDY23303.htm

Nishikori hopes to enjoy time in spotlight
By Ken Marantz / Daily Yomiuri Sportswriter

He's still 55 ATP tournament titles behind Roger Federer, but for one week in Tokyo, Kei Nishikori will get a feel for what life is like for the Swiss superstar.

"It will only happen once a year, but to get so much attention from so many people makes me really happy," Nishikori said Saturday following the draw for the AIG Japan Open at Tokyo's Ariake Tennis Forest Park.

Nishikori, who became the first Japanese to win an ATP title in nearly 16 years when he triumphed at the Delray Beach International in February, will face American Robert Kendrick in the first round on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old Nishikori is making his second appearance at the 869,000 dollars tournament, but under extremely different circumstances.

Last year, he entered as an unknown wild card. This time, with the ATP title and an historic performance at the U.S. Open to his credit, Nishikori represents nothing less than the future of Japanese men's tennis.

The result has been ticket sales and media attention on par with the years that Federer graced the hardcourts of Ariake.

"I don't feel any pressure," Nishikori said, but tournament organizers will certainly be hoping he can stick around longer than he did last year, when he lost in the first round to American Zack Fleishman in three sets.

"Of course I want to win the title, but last year I lost in the first round and I want to get through that," Nishikori said. "I was really disappointed last year. Having the tournament in Japan raises my motivation."

Nishikori, whose rank has risen from 289th to start the year to 85th, has never faced Kendrick, but said he is familiar with him. The two are both based in Florida.

"I know him well and I'll have to come up with a strategy," Nishikori said. "He's a big server."

Two victories would put Nishikori into a third-round clash with fourth-seeded Richard Gasquet of France. Should he make it as far as the semifinals, a rematch with No. 1 seed David Ferrer of Spain is possible.

It was Nishikori's stunning victory over Ferrer in the third round at the U.S. Open that turned heads and made him the first Japanese man to make the round of 16 in 71 years.

In the women's 175,000 dollars Tier III tournament to run concurrently, Kimiko Date-Krumm will face sixth-seeded Shahar Peer of Israel in her first appearance in the main draw of a WTA event in 12 years, while Ai Sugiyama pulled out due to injury.

"As a TV analyst I saw her play and I know she's tough," Date-Krumm said of the 37th-ranked Peer. "I want to do well in the first round and I'll try to be as ready as possible."

Having reached a career-high ranking of No. 4 in 1995, Date-Krumm is currently 230th. She retired in 1996 but launched an improbable comeback six months ago. She has won four Challenger Series titles.

But Date-Krumm came up short in qualifying for the Toray Pan Pacific Open two weeks ago.

"My serve and movement weren't very good, but after the Toray I took a break and I feel I'm moving better now," said Date-Krumm, who turns 38 today. "Of course a match is different from practice."

The Japan Open provides good memories for Date-Krumm. Four of her seven career WTA titles came at the Japan Open, which she won in 1992, '93, '94 and '96.

Sugiyama withdrew citing a left hip injury suffered during the current Beijing Open, where she won in the first round before losing the China's Zheng Jie.

"I want to play but under these circumstances, I couldn't give a good performance," Sugiyama said shortly after returning to Japan. "I have two more tournaments this year [in Zurich and Linz] and I hope to recover in time for those."

(Sep. 28, 2008)

*bunny*
09-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Rain is expected on Monday and Tuesday. :(
Yes, the centre court has a retractable roof, and that's where Kei will play, on Tuesday. But rain on the first two days will severely cripple the whole schedule and that sucks.

*bunny*
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Confirmed. Kei's first match will be on Tuesday.

Today there was a pre-tournament event with open practice sessions (Kei vs Go, Kimiko Date vs Ayumi Morita) and an exhibition doubles match (Suzuki/Iwabushi vs Ferrer/Robredo). World No. 1 wheelchair tennis player Shingo Kunieda's exo vs Satochi Saida was also on schedule but it was canceled at the last minute due to Kunieda's elbow injury.
Unfortunately I couldn't go because I work on Sundays.
Anyway, can you believe that 9455 people packed the stadium, to see practice sessions and an exho!!?? :eek:
Well, yes it's Sunday and the tickets for the next weekend have long been sold out. But it's still amazing considering only about 3,000 people came to the event last year, when Kei and Ferrer played an exhibition match. He's come a long way really although Date's come back must be a factor too. It's a good thing that so many people did turn up to watch tennis, but then again I can't help feeling it's just us Japanese people's shallow desire to follow stars. :rolleyes: Hope at least some of those new fans will keep on loving tennis for a long time!

Pepi.
09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
oh my :eek:

Good luck Kei :)

kinokino
09-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I couldn't go to the exhibition event, too :sad: But this week,I took a holiday to watch the games like last year :D !
I hope the rain go away :angel:

hcfoo
09-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Here are the pictures of the event.

http://jta.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_253/jta/all-a9a01.jpg

http://jta.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_253/jta/kunieda-kei-7e185.jpg

http://jta.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/blog/_253/jta/kei-soeda.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2894977489_777bdc2c07.jpg

Images via JTA Blog (http://jta.blog.so-net.ne.jp/)

*esther*
09-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Rain is expected on Monday and Tuesday. :(
Yes, the centre court has a retractable roof, and that's where Kei will play, on Tuesday. But rain on the first two days will severely cripple the whole schedule and that sucks.

I couldn't go to the exhibition event, too :sad: But this week,I took a holiday to watch the games like last year :D !
I hope the rain go away :angel:

Awww :hug: Have fun guys! Can't wait to read the "reports". :worship:

Sorry for off topic, I don't know Kazuki Nakajima is that good!:lol: Another new hope for Japan F1 scene after Takuma Sato. ;) Next year, I hope Honda will sign Sato-san as their driver, shamed Super Aguri couldn't complete the season. :sad:

*bunny*
09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanx for posting the pics, hcfoo! :worship:
The stadium is really packed! :eek:
But it's nice that Kunieda could come and show off his gold medal! :yeah:

Kei will play the third match on centre court tomorrow, after Karanusic vs Kondo and Date-Krumm vs Peer. Matchers on other courts will be played either at National Tennis Centre or Keio University because more rain is expected.
http://aigopen.jp/08/pdf/oop/aigopen08_oop080930.pdf

kinokino
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Because of the rain, AIG open was played only in the center court today:).
Prince Akishino attended the opening match, Aiko Nakamura vs Marta
Domachowska.
I am looking forward to see the Japan's prince of tennis
tomorrow:dance:.

DhammaTiger
09-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Bunny, kinokino thanks for the report. Good luck Kei in the 1st rd.

Papakori
09-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the news :)
You must be so excited about Kei.

I never knew Date came back?

kinokino
09-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the news :)
You must be so excited about Kei.

I never knew Date came back?

Yes, Papakori! I am too excited to sleep well last night :angel:
And yes yes!! This April, Date Krumm Kimiko made a comeback after an absence of 12 years. The Sunday the exhibition held was her 38 th birthday!
She is my coeval, so she encourages me very much :D

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 03:59 AM
Kei's match has started!
He's wearing a black headband. :)

This link is working: http://www.justin.tv/zura005

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 04:43 AM
1st set to Kei 7-6(3) :D

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 05:31 AM
We have another TB.
Kendrick had a minibreak but now it's back on serve. *1-2

=========
Kendrick takes it 7-6(5) :sad:

*esther*
09-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Hi bunny :wavey:

Woooooooo, was a nail-bitting match :P

and kei breaks in the 3rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*3-2

Cmon Kei!:worship::worship:

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 05:49 AM
Kei breaks Kendrick! *3-2
Both had no BP till this game and Kei went up 15-40 with a nice pass around the net post, and broke him on the second occasion with another great passing shot. :D

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey esther!! :wavey:
Hope Kei will wrap it up easily! :yeah:

*esther*
09-30-2008, 05:52 AM
I know he will :lol:

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 05:56 AM
*5-2 :yippee: C'mon Kei!!

*esther*
09-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Go Kei!!!!!!!!!!!

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Mp!

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 06:02 AM
7-6(3) 6-7(5) 6-2! :woohoo:

*esther*
09-30-2008, 06:03 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::b anana:

You can see him in the second round, bunny and kinokino!:angel:

P/s : What does he say in the interview?? He looks sooooo happy!:lol:

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 06:20 AM
He said he was feeling very tired today, and it was a tough match.
Shuzo Matsuoka was the oncourt interviewer, and he asked Kei whether he knew the rule about bathroom breaks, that he can take only one such break in a match, and Kei said he didn't know! :lol:
Then he was asked about his next opponent, and first he said he was only thinking about the first round, but then he went on to say GGL is a good stroker and is expecting a tough match.

Indoor conditions usually benefit big servers because there's no wind or sun to effect the tossing, and I think today was no exception. Kendrick was serving really well! I think Kei lost the scond set tie break because he dragged into TB the disappointment of failing to break Kendrick despite having 0-30 at 6-5*.
But he really raised his game in the third set. He really looked happy and relieved after the match.

DanaKz
09-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Bunny thank you so much :worship:
Well done Kei! :)

*esther*
09-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Thx bunny for the translation. :lol:

kinokino
09-30-2008, 12:35 PM
At first glance, Kei has grown up very much since last year(P1,2). After the warm-up, he took a bathroom break(P3,4). Kendrick's serve was very fast while Kei played very aggressive(P5). After the second round, Kei wanted a bathroom break but it was not allowed:sad: It was breathtaking seesaw match as Mr. Matsuoka watches(P6). Kei broke two games in the third round and got the first victory in AIG open!
Keep going, Kei:yeah:

Ivanatis
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
good luck Kei vs GGL

I really want to see him play Gasquet in 3rd round:cool:

Papakori
09-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Excellent start.

Thanks for the excellent report kinokino :)

Alex.
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Not an ideal end to the second set, but he rebounded nicely. Good luck in the next round, Kei. :D

Pepi.
09-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Kei :rocker:

a win is a win :scared:

good luck tomorrow :)

*bunny*
09-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanx for the report and pics, Kinokino! :yeah:
I like Shuzo's serious look. :lol:
He's a bit of a comedian when he opens his mouth you know! :lol:

It's going to be a busy day tomorrow.
Kei vs GGL is the third match on centre court again, but there will be seven matches on the court tomorrow! It could be midnight if some of them go to the distance.

Yung-Jan CHAN (TPE) vs Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES (ESP)
David FERRER (ESP) vs Jesse LEVINE (USA)
Kei NISHIKORI (JPN) vs Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP)
Richard GASQUET (FRA) vs Martin SLANAR (AUT)
Ivo MINAR (CZE) vs Andy RODDICK (USA)
Dudi SELA (ISR) vs Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG)
Yen-Hsun LU (TPE) vs Fernando GONZALEZ (CHI)

The rain may stop in the afternoon tomorrow, but other matches (including the ones with the likes of Tsonga, Robredo, Youzhny, Berdych, Suzuki! etc.) will be played at another venue, without spectators, wihch I think is outrageous! :( Sure it's better to change the venue than just waiting for the rain to stop, but they need to find some way to accommodate spectators! Not that I will leave the centre court but there must be a few people who'd like to see those players!

DhammaTiger
09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
At first glance, Kei has grown up very much since last year(P1,2). After the warm-up, he took a bathroom break(P3,4). Kendrick's serve was very fast while Kei played very aggressive(P5). After the second round, Kei wanted a bathroom break but it was not allowed:sad: It was breathtaking seesaw match as Mr. Matsuoka watches(P6). Kei broke two games in the third round and got the first victory in AIG open!

Thanks Kinokino for the report.

Congrats Kei and hope you go through and win the title :bigclap: :yippee:

DhammaTiger
09-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanx for the report and pics, Kinokino! :yeah:
I like Shuzo's serious look. :lol:
He's a bit of a comedian when he opens his mouth you know! :lol:

It's going to be a busy day tomorrow.
Kei vs GGL is the third match on centre court again, but there will be seven matches on the court tomorrow! It could be midnight if some of them go to the distance.

Yung-Jan CHAN (TPE) vs Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES (ESP)
David FERRER (ESP) vs Jesse LEVINE (USA)
Kei NISHIKORI (JPN) vs Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP)
Richard GASQUET (FRA) vs Martin SLANAR (AUT)
Ivo MINAR (CZE) vs Andy RODDICK (USA)
Dudi SELA (ISR) vs Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG)
Yen-Hsun LU (TPE) vs Fernando GONZALEZ (CHI)

The rain may stop in the afternoon tomorrow, but other matches (including the ones with the likes of Tsonga, Robredo, Youzhny, Berdych, Suzuki! etc.) will be played at another venue, without spectators, wihch I think is outrageous! :( Sure it's better to change the venue than just waiting for the rain to stop, but they need to find some way to accommodate spectators! Not that I will leave the centre court but there must be a few people who'd like to see those players!

Thanks Bunny.

*esther*
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM

You're soooooooooo close kinokino :eek:

Thanks for the report, hope to read more from you today. ;)

Have fun guys, today's schedule at centre court is ridiculous, :lol:

*esther*
09-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Have fun bunny! :worship:

I'm sure will miss your livescoring together :devil:

Can't wait for your report. ;)

DanaKz
10-01-2008, 06:09 AM
Uhhhh... Come on Nishikori!

Snoo Foo
10-01-2008, 06:32 AM
The first game was 22.5 minutes long and 34 points. :eek: I hope they speed it up a little or this could be a very long night. :unsure:

But :bigclap: Kei for hanging in there :yeah:

Papakori
10-01-2008, 07:10 AM
5/4 :bounce:

DanaKz
10-01-2008, 07:33 AM
The first game was 22.5 minutes long and 34 points. :eek:

Oh yeah. It was tough. But who won this game eventually? I didn't see it because of some technical issues.

Snoo Foo
10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Kei, finally. 18 pts. to 16 :lol: Unfortunately he started by winning the first 3 pts. to go up 0-40 but couldn't convert any of the bps. :unsure: But eventually he won the tug-of-war.

Ivanatis
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Kei 6-4 6-4 :)

3/16 BPs though :help:

DanaKz
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Thank you Snoo Foo. I think it is very good as psychological factor - to win in battle like this. It make one more confident.

Kei won! 6-4 6-4

Snoo Foo
10-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Kei 6-4 6-4 :)

3/16 BPs though :help:

9 of those BPs were in the first game, 2/7 (for the rest of the match) sounds a lot better :lol: either way, he managed to get 16 bps and convert enough of them to get through in straights so... :yeah:

*esther*
10-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Gosh, the first set first game was pathetic long! :lol:

So glad he's through. :P

Papakori
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
:woohoo: Keep it up.

kinokino
10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone! Yesterday was a very very long day.:o Kei vs Garcia-L was the third match at the center court(P1). Just like yesterday, Kei got a good start with project 45 watching (P2,3). Garcia-L played well too, so as you noted here the first game took 22 minutes(P4). :angel: He was never crushed by expectations(P5,6).
Next opponent is Richard Gasquet!!! Richard had some difficulty with
first match. But his play is always artistic(P7).
Everyone must be excited!:woohoo:

Ivanatis
10-01-2008, 10:32 PM
great pics:worship:

looks like your two favs face each other now no?

*bunny*
10-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Great pics, Kinokino! :D
I took some pics too but my crap camera refused to be connected to PC again so I can't upload them...

Sorry guys, I was too tired to post anything last night after a long, long day of tennis, and now I've overslept I have to leave very soon!
The first game of Kei vs GGL was really long and after 15 minutes we thought the guy who wins this game will have an advantage in this set, so we were really hoping he would take it, and he did! He looked a bit tired out there but after the match he was telling to Matsuoka in an oncourt interview that he felt more relaxed than in the first round and he could really enjoy himself in the match. Matsuoka also asked him why he started wearing a headband, not a baseball cap, and Kei said he just felt like it. :lol:
I'm really looking forward to Kei vs Gasquet today!
Cya all later! :wavey:

DanaKz
10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
1-6 in first set. Some difficulties in second. Not good.

*esther*
10-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Aww... Gasquet won, 6-1, 6-2

Reaz
10-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Aww... Gasquet won, 6-1, 6-2

im hurt couldnt see the match though.But what happened-i expected a fight from Kei.Gasquet is a quality player who hasnt really been playing well.its so upsetting:tears:

Papakori
10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
I am surprised as well. I thought it would be a lot closer than that at least.

:sad:

Reaz
10-02-2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.supersport.co.za/tennis/article.aspx?id=272392&headline=Ferrer,%20Gasquet%20keep%20on%20course%20 for%20semis%20I am surprised as well. I thought it would be a lot closer than that at least.

:sad:

gasquet says something good and he too is a little suprised.nishikori has his comments.

DhammaTiger
10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Awww Kei :hug: Gasquet is really good, and when he is playing well it's wonderful to watch. Anyway, it's good learning experience for Kei. Better luck next time he meets Gasquet.

kinokino
10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
looks like your two favs face each other now no?

Yes, Deck. I guess many people was interested in seeing this match(P1,2). However, Gasquet didn't let Kei play well in the first set(P3,4). On the other hand, Gasquet played really well and went at his own pace(P5). Kei was better in the second set, but he couldn't do his best performance to the end(P6,7).:sad:
Mr. Matsuoka said Kei has a lot of talent but physically not enough yet. Kei promised us he will come back here to win the championship.
I really thank for Kei gave me an unforgetable good time.:hug:

*bunny*
10-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Wow you were very close to them, Kinokino!

Yesterday it took him 22 minutes to break the first game, and today it took him 22 minutes to lose the first set...
Well, Kei made the worst possible start in the first set. After letting Gasquet hold to love, Kei started his service game with a DF. And just after he served at 15-30, his racket flew from his grip. He managed to pick the racket up in time to hit a return, but no doubt it made him panick and he lost that point to face 2 BPs. Kei looked really tense and nervous, he was often seen taking a deep breath between points. But it didn't help and he was either netting or overhitting what would have been winners many times. I hoped he would come back in the second set, like he did in Delray Beach. He did deny Gasquet a break chance in the first game of the second set, and again he saved 3 break points in the third game, serve and volleying at the second break point. Mind you, he hit a few amazing winners too, but probably the pressure of playing in front of a record crowd didn't help, and he was broken on a fourth break point. :sad: I have a feeling he plays more freely away from home.

After all the matches were finished for the day, Matsuoka was saying that Kei will fly to Stockholm tomorrow. I guess he will play qualies or he will receive a WC. Hope he fares better in Sweden!!

But his ranking will go up again after two victories at an ISG event. I'm sure he will break into top 80 next week! :)

kinokino
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Otsukaresamadesita! bunny :D
My sony camera did pretty good job :p

Good luck in the Stockholm open!

Reaz
10-04-2008, 04:34 AM
when is kei playing next?i like kei so much.i just want to see more of him

Papakori
10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Stockholm ;)

DhammaTiger
10-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes, Deck. I guess many people was interested in seeing this match(P1,2). However, Gasquet didn't let Kei play well in the first set(P3,4). On the other hand, Gasquet played really well and went at his own pace(P5). Kei was better in the second set, but he couldn't do his best performance to the end(P6,7).:sad:
Mr. Matsuoka said Kei has a lot of talent but physically not enough yet. Kei promised us he will come back here to win the championship.
I really thank for Kei gave me an unforgetable good time.:hug:

Wow you were very close to them, Kinokino!

Yesterday it took him 22 minutes to break the first game, and today it took him 22 minutes to lose the first set...
Well, Kei made the worst possible start in the first set. After letting Gasquet hold to love, Kei started his service game with a DF. And just after he served at 15-30, his racket flew from his grip. He managed to pick the racket up in time to hit a return, but no doubt it made him panick and he lost that point to face 2 BPs. Kei looked really tense and nervous, he was often seen taking a deep breath between points. But it didn't help and he was either netting or overhitting what would have been winners many times. I hoped he would come back in the second set, like he did in Delray Beach. He did deny Gasquet a break chance in the first game of the second set, and again he saved 3 break points in the third game, serve and volleying at the second break point. Mind you, he hit a few amazing winners too, but probably the pressure of playing in front of a record crowd didn't help, and he was broken on a fourth break point. :sad: I have a feeling he plays more freely away from home.

After all the matches were finished for the day, Matsuoka was saying that Kei will fly to Stockholm tomorrow. I guess he will play qualies or he will receive a WC. Hope he fares better in Sweden!!

But his ranking will go up again after two victories at an ISG event. I'm sure he will break into top 80 next week! :)

Thanks Kinokino and Bunny for the reports and pictures. Goodluck to Kei in Stockholm and hope he gets stronger physically so we can see more magic from him.

Papakori
10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
He has quite a nice draw in Stockholm, Granollers in round one and followed by Andujar and Hrbaty.

It will be tough from the quarterfinals onwards but it is still a good draw.

[8] Granollers vs WC Nishikori
Andujar vs Hrbaty
Darcis vs C Rochus
O Rochus vs [2] Ancic

*esther*
10-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I have start a new thread for the Stockholm Open. :)

Papakori
10-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I have start a new thread for the Stockholm Open. :)
I thought we were going to use just one thread?

10-08-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry I completely forgot about the Tournament in Japan :o I was sorry Kei didn't do so well there, but Richie can play some good tennis when he is on his game.
He just isn't always on his game :rolleyes: