US Open 2008: The Most Boring U.S. Open Ever? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open 2008: The Most Boring U.S. Open Ever?

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 02:38 AM
I know that Federer's dominance introduced us to an era of brilliant tennis but boring tournaments. But this U.S. Open has been one of the most boring U.S. Opens in my opinion. There is really no suspence. Everybody knows that Rafa will get to the final and win, and Federer and Djokovic have been below par so we may get someone like Roddick getting to the final. Who knows. I just can't remember a U.S. Open draw that was so lopsided on one side with inexperienced youngsters and loaded with underperformers in the other side. Thoughts?

The Freak
09-02-2008, 02:42 AM
Nope

Acer
09-02-2008, 02:44 AM
It's not even over yet : /

habibko
09-02-2008, 02:45 AM
the first time since 4 years in which there are many contenders for the title is certainly not the most boring one, it's not that sure that Nadal will reach the final let go winning it, only some who are following the Nadal recent bandwagon will say otherwise.

so no certainly not.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 02:46 AM
But it is. Matches have been so predictable. I mean you can call Fish's win over Blake an upset but really, Djokovic and Federer are probably going to meet in the semis so will Nadal and Murray. Nadal beats Murray like always and Federer Djokovic match will be one by the one most desperate to get humiliated by Rafa. I just can't see who can beat Nadal. So it's even more predictable than Federer's gold old days.

dorkgirl
09-02-2008, 02:47 AM
"So it's even more predictable than Federer's gold old days."

Hah, no.

GlennMirnyi
09-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Why this guy is still allowed to post?

Nadull will get thumped by Pescado.

biological
09-02-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't see current Nadal posing a huge threat to Federer, and that's if Rafa even gets to the final which I'm doubting.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 03:00 AM

If you have followed my posts, I am actually not a Nadal fan. And what's wrong with some healthy discussion? I am not trying to disturb the forum or anything but watching almost all the matches so far this week, I thought it was one of the most boring opens I have seen in a while. So many youngsters, which is great for tennis, but the slow grinding style of play has just been boring.

tripb19
09-02-2008, 03:01 AM
This is one of the most retarded threads ever, this is the most interesting US Open in so many years, JDMP, Murray, Fish vs Rafa in one half, Nole v Fed in the other.

Corey Feldman
09-02-2008, 03:03 AM
So far its been boring as hell

if Nadal and Nole lose - it will be the most exciting event i've ever seen.

tennismaster882001
09-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Wow, certanly didn't expect a thread like this one would apear!
This poll is only for people who think it is boring, you should have added other option too.

mariyella80
09-02-2008, 03:06 AM
goodness if there are many contenders to the title how is that BORING i think you HAVE NOTHING TO SAY.....have you been to any of del potro's matches, did you see verdasco's 2nd round match, did you watch tommy haas loose after 2sets up, did u see roberdo ( y people call him boring I DONT KNOW) play tsonga and WIN when the crowd was cheering against him from the start EVEN during the SAFIN match....did you see Almagro play hard and loose SHIT YOU NEED to SHUT IT!!!!!!

GlennMirnyi
09-02-2008, 03:07 AM
If you have followed my posts, I am actually not a Nadal fan. And what's wrong with some healthy discussion? I am not trying to disturb the forum or anything but watching almost all the matches so far this week, I thought it was one of the most boring opens I have seen in a while. So many youngsters, which is great for tennis, but the slow grinding style of play has just been boring.

You're a Fakertard and you're calling the grinding style of play boring? :haha: :haha:

That was amazing.

Thanos
09-02-2008, 03:12 AM
maybe if andreev beats federer and fish beats nadal. Then its wont be boring??

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 03:23 AM
if fish beats nadal then i want to be listening to jenson commentate... :lol:

zethand
09-02-2008, 03:27 AM
I know that Federer's dominance introduced us to an era of brilliant tennis but boring tournaments. But this U.S. Open has been one of the most boring U.S. Opens in my opinion. There is really no suspence. Everybody knows that Rafa will get to the final and win, and Federer and Djokovic have been below par so we may get someone like Roddick getting to the final. Who knows. I just can't remember a U.S. Open draw that was so lopsided on one side with inexperienced youngsters and loaded with underperformers in the other side. Thoughts?

It is a transition time... we are seeing the next new stars like Monfils, Del Potro, Murray etc... and we are seeing the end of some careers like Haas, Johansson, Moya etc.. It's just a natural process. Do you remember when Sampras was almost done... we have a strange period in which Hewitt was number one, 2000-2003.

So be patient they are almost cooked... and they will show us the next generation of tennis, and eventually big battles and the greatest tennis ever. Of course Nadal will be part of this.

I liked this tournament because there were so many different players, players with a lot of potential. Let's see who will waste it.. Not really boring, today Nadal showed great tennis. Of course you have to be focused on the game not on the players.

connectolove
09-02-2008, 03:41 AM

Good Lord, you are soo wrong!!! Nadal has not much chance to win the US Open, and that's what's making this one be so interesting. If Nadal wins it will be a huge surprise for me, and a great nice one.

connectolove
09-02-2008, 03:43 AM

Pescado... it took me a while, FISH! that's funny.

GlennMirnyi
09-02-2008, 03:45 AM
Pescado... it took me a while, FISH! that's funny.

:yeah: ;)

Mechlan
09-02-2008, 03:51 AM
You're on crack. This has been a great U.S. Open. You might want to try watching matches other than those of the top 3. As for it being predictable, well, it's a little early seeing as your expected winner hasn't won yet.

Havok
It's not utterly boring, but I must agree there is missing that certain spark the USO usually has. We are missing all those 5 set battles during the early rounds, and many lower seeds weren't even able to hold their seeding and maybe give the top seeds a run for their money. I'm sure once the QF starts, things will heat up.

Same thing for the Women's side, it's been a bit of a bore; mind you Sharapova is missing, Henin retired, Ivanovic and Kuznetsova went out early and we are left with the real contenders in the QF were things will start to get interesting.

bjurra

Well yes, I have a thought: You're full of shit.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 03:53 AM
It is a transition time... we are seeing the next new stars like Monfils, Del Potro, Murray etc... and we are seeing the end of some careers like Haas, Johansson, Moya etc.. It's just a natural process. Do you remember when Sampras was almost done... we have a strange period in which Hewitt was number one, 2000-2003.

So be patient they are almost cooked... and they will show us the next generation of tennis, and eventually big battles and the greatest tennis ever. Of course Nadal will be part of this.

I liked this tournament because there were so many different players, players with a lot of potential. Let's see who will waste it.. Not really boring, today Nadal showed great tennis. Of course you have to be focused on the game not on the players.

I think they need to speed up courts a bit. The Cilic Djokovic match showed what's wrong with tennis today. As fast as US hardcourts are, Djokovic couldn't put balls away. Oh well. I guess you are right. This period will pass too.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 03:54 AM
You're on crack. This has been a great U.S. Open. You might want to try watching matches other than those of the top 3. As for it being predictable, well, it's a little early seeing as your expected winner hasn't won yet.

Well. I don't know how TV works in Canada, but all we get in US is Aggie Radwansa against Venus or Senera against a poor lady.

Jimnik
09-02-2008, 04:03 AM
I think Cyrusking just confirmed his top 10 seeding for this year's ACC.

selyoink
09-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Awful tournament so far. Almugro won three matches. Fish is in the QFs. Nadull gets another rigged draw.

I fail to see what has been good about it so far except for Nishikori.

finishingmove
09-02-2008, 04:18 AM
cyrusking = most bored GM resident?

MrChopin
09-02-2008, 04:20 AM
cyrusking = most boreding GM resident?

:yeah:

Andi-M
09-02-2008, 04:24 AM
I agree the 1st week wasnt Wow amazing but,there have been numerous 5 set matches. Which have provided me with alot of entertainment.

And with 5 of the top 6 seeds are still in the tournament, makes for an interesting climax.

JimmyV
09-02-2008, 04:32 AM
And MTF drops yet another rung down the ladder! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 04:35 AM
And MTF drops yet another rung down the ladder! :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

:lol:

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 04:36 AM
Jeez guys. It's OK if you don't agree with me but you don't have to insult me

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 04:38 AM
yeah it ok man... i am sure everyone will get over it... i just think a few people felt dumber after contributing to this thread... dumber and angry about it... :lol:

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 04:42 AM
I just find these guys to be too hostile really. I mean just because you think it's dumb doesn't make it dumb. If you don't like the question don't contribute. I thought it was a legitimate question based on matches that we have seen or not seen (depending on your TV coverage). I am not trying to bash anyone or say players are not trying. Maybe it's just the draw or just the transition time or whatever, but I don't think the question is dumb. We have not seen the one match that gives you goosebumps. Not yet anyway.

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 04:45 AM
I just find these guys to be too hostile really. I mean just because you think it's dumb doesn't make it dumb. If you don't like the question don't contribute. I thought it was a legitimate question based on matches that we have seen or not seen (depending on your TV coverage). I am not trying to bash anyone or say players are not trying. Maybe it's just the draw or just the transition time or whatever, but I don't think the question is dumb. We have not seen the one match that gives you goosebumps. Not yet anyway.

i had goosebumps when murray did his back-to-back GS muscle flex...

i mean... just think about it... a 5 setter + flex at the AO and French next year and he'll have himself a Murray Slam...

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 04:46 AM

i had goosebumps when murray did his back-to-back GS muscle flex...

i mean... just think about it... a 5 setter + flex at the AO and French next year and he'll have himself a Murray Slam...

:rolls:

Mimi
09-02-2008, 04:52 AM
:hug: MTF is liked that, you need to get used to it, and be careful when you start new threads

Fumus
09-02-2008, 05:00 AM
The french was very boring, but nothing compares to Aussie this year, that was just pure awesomeness. The Open will get interesting, very interesting from the QFs on...but maybe some upsets or something will happen before then.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 05:01 AM
I just hope that we don't get Fish Roddick in final because that would be the icing on the cake.

The Freak
09-02-2008, 05:05 AM

:tears:

Vamos Rafa 01
09-02-2008, 05:19 AM
One of the best in recent years IMO. There are 5-6 guys who can win at this stage, so it's much more open than let's say, two-three years ago.

Cat9
09-02-2008, 05:48 AM
I just hope that we don't get Fish Roddick in final because that would be the icing on the cake.

Ah, there we go. That's his real problem with this US Open.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Ah, there we go. That's his real problem with this US Open.

Do you mean that's actually a match you look forward to seeing? lol

groundstroke
09-02-2008, 06:13 AM
This isn't as great as USO 2004 or USO 2005, but it's still the best slam of the year IMO.

shawshank
09-02-2008, 10:34 AM

I'm afraid we are not talking about the same US Open! Mate, how can you say that this US is boring. We had some great matches like Ferru-Nishikori, Murray-Melzer, Del Potro-Simon, Djokovic-Cilic, Roddick-Gulbis. What's more we have three new big guns who finally showed that in two years the will be in TOP 10. I'm talking about Del Potro, Nishikori and Cilic.
And your knowledge about tennis must be really weak if you think that Rafa won't hane any problems. His semifinal against Murray or Del Potro will be great encounter. Semifinal matchup between Roger and Nole will be another delicious cake. And whoever wins that will have another tough match in final which will probably contain two great players.
C'mon, this tournament is really great!

FiBeR
09-02-2008, 10:46 AM
calling boring a grand slam in which federer isnt n1..

2 players ranked in the top 120-130 upsetting top players over and over..

up-rising players under 20s looking good ...

so many close and nice matches

2 in-form players clashing like delpo and simon, change of guards, etc..

a player with 23 (and counting) match streak in the QFs and not a top ten player..

Fish, Murray, Delpo, Nadal already in QF..

that is really really dull..

yeah, let's go back to 2004-5-6-7 and have Federer-Federer-Federer-Nadal-Federer-Federer-Nadal-Federer...etc as unquestioned grand slam winners .. that's interesting (with gaudio's 04 RG and safin's 05 AO excuse of course)

to be honest, tennis was dead for me from 2004 to this year.. (in the sense it was so boring to have Roger as such a dominant player, then nadal being unbeated on clay -who still is-)..its like.. oh yeah, roger wins on grass and hardcourts, nadal on clay, end of story..

this year is much more interesting..you actually cannot surely call who will win.. one has its favourites and a general idea, but .. you actually dont know! and you call that boring? ...

FairWeatherFan
09-02-2008, 10:55 AM
IMO it's a bit boring because Nadal really has no one to challenge him in his half. We all know that Murray folds like a tent vs Nadal. The other half is pretty exciting to me though.

It's no way near as boring as the 08 French Open. That to me was possibly the most dull slam of the decade.

JolánGagó
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Badrep and report the f**k out of them ;)

Herdwick
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Some of you people are spoilt - come on:

Rafa - favourite but way below par last night. In real danger from the winner of Andy and JMDP
Nole - unconvincing since RG but horribly aware he's in danger of being outflanked
Fed - still awaiting possible redux
Davy - discounted by all but look at Miami
Murray - scarily good right now and itching to prove himself
JMDP - very exciting young gun and in terrific form
Roddick - desperate to prove himself worthy of the top flight

All of these are possible winners and this is boring? Call me easily pleased but I am finding this terrific fun and I have no idea who'll come out on top.

Naranoc
09-02-2008, 12:17 PM
So far it's been a bit...ordinary really. Nothing really exciting and most of the favourites advancing as expected. Then again, that will hopefully make things more interesting in the days to come, where a lot of matches might be quite difficult to predict, as opposed to having loads of early upsets in a GS followed by boring SF beatdowns. You'd have to wait until the end of the Open to assess it properly, I think.

Venle
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Not boring to me :yeah:

mr_burns
09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Indeed really great macthes are missung, especially five setters including big stars

Halba
09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
something tells me nadal is not 2008 us open winner. its not federer and its not djokovic either. its not davydenko. its either andy murray or del potro. andy murray had an amazing match last night. del potro is unbeatable at the moment. nadal is beatable - just hit hard shots and come into the net. make sure you serve aces. the only guys who can do this are murray and del potro. djokovic can, but he may get eliminated.

Vida
09-02-2008, 01:06 PM
its boring for fed worshipers because they are afraid he might not win (sense of inevitability).

GameSetAndAndy
09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
What a load of rubbish. Think back to most slams - the big moments people remember are usually at least the quarters or semis and usually what happens in the final. It's the most open Slam for perhaps 5 or more years, we have had some great matches if you watched the particular ones. In the Murray/Del Potro part of the draw, all fourth round contenders had been through intense five setters.

The biggest thing to remember is that no one will win this tournament without truly deserving it and in the next few days we will find out who is the real deal and who are the pretenders. The big three all have valid reasons why they might win or lose and to suggest Nadal is clear favourite after never winning a hard-court Slam, losing to Djokovic over the summer and having a poor record against Federer on hard surfaces is just close minded. If you don't like what you see, don't bother watching and let the rest of us enjoy it.

rafa_maniac
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
You must be joking, this is the first US Open in years I've actually given a damn about. It's wide open at the top with this being Rafa's worst surface and him playing with questionable form so far, likewise Djokovic. Federer is the big question mark. Murray and Del Potro are making great runs and are a threat to anyone. Roddick is finally having a good tournament, there have been several epics and more than a few surprises. It's still my least favourite of the slams, but its a hell of a lot better than this year's French Open.

virex
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
anything is better than roddick winning the whole thing

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
its boring for fed worshipers because they are afraid he might not win (sense of inevitability).

Fed worshippers have had their time, I guess they enjoyed the 12 slams, time to see which players can come close to match that...

Pfloyd
09-02-2008, 02:46 PM
No. It´s had great matches. And a lot of unexpected players have gotten quite far, is you expect that one of the big three aint gonna win a slam, you´re gonna have to wait another year.

But for that reason alone this US Open shouldn´t be labeld as "boring".

Vida
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Fed worshippers have had their time, I guess they enjoyed the 12 slams, time to see which players can come close to match that...

:lol: why am I not surprised...

I guess it is boring than for Fed worshipers, cause this is time of the Spartans and no player will be able to fluke-out those 12 Slams. No excitement. ;)

vucina
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Not boring at all, and it'll get even more interesting. Young players are finally showing their potential, and we don't have a clear favorite.

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
:lol: why am I not surprised...

I guess it is boring than for Fed worshipers, cause this is time of the Spartans and no player will be able to fluke-out those 12 Slams. No excitement. ;)

:lol: "fluke-out 12 slams" ahahah, the only fluke is Nole's AO run if you ask me, not sure he'll ever back up that win. His book's title should have been "My first and only Grand Slam" :o :D

Vida
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
:lol: "fluke-out 12 slams" ahahah, the only fluke is Nole's AO run if you ask me, not sure he'll ever back up that win. His book's title should have been "My first and only Grand Slam" :o :D

again counter arguing with the use of anti-nole verbal gymnastics...

will they ever learn...:rolleyes:

jasmin
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
So far its been boring as hell

if Nadal and Nole lose - it will be the most exciting event i've ever seen.

:lol:

Ivanatis
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Where's the option "Are you kiddin' me?"

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
again counter arguing with the use of anti-nole verbal gymnastics...

will they ever learn...:rolleyes:

Anti-Nole? :scratch: :confused: if someone lacks respect here it's the one who claims that someone can "fluke out" 12 slams, no?

tennis2tennis
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
so far wimbledon's kicking its ass!

platinum
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Exactly. :):D:wavey:

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Exactly. :):D:wavey:

At least Noletrolls and Rafatools agree on something :)

platinum
09-02-2008, 04:28 PM
At least Noletrolls and Rafatools agree on something :)

LOL @ your lame siggie and your dislike for the Spartans Rafa, Nole and Murray.

Lets face it, Fed won most of his slams in a soft-cock era where the Spartans Rafa, Nole and Murray were babies(late teens, very early 20s) who had not *peaked* yet. The players of the same generation as Fed, born in the very early 80s were not Spartans at all...:o and that's how Fed fluked his way to 12 slams. It's going to be almost impossible for Fed to keep on winning slams now with Rafa, Nole and Murray all *grown up*.... :wavey:

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
LOL @ your lame siggie and your dislike for the Spartans Rafa, Nole and Murray.

Lets face it, Fed won most of his slams in a soft-cock era where the Spartans Rafa, Nole and Murray were babies(late teens, very early 20s) who had not *peaked* yet. The players of the same generation as Fed, born in the very early 80s were not Spartans at all...:o and that's how Fed fluked his way to 12 slams. It's going to be almost impossible for Fed to keep on winning slams now with Rafa, Nole and Murray all *grown up*.... :wavey:

:lol: Baby Lleyton used to toy with "Spartan" Sampras, and then got owned by pansy Fed, what a weird world :scratch: :o

platinum
09-02-2008, 04:45 PM
:lol: Baby Lleyton used to toy with "Spartan" Sampras, and then got owned by pansy Fed, what a weird world :scratch: :o

30 year old Pete... That's old and past his prime Pete :wavey:

Just watch when Fed is 30 getting owned by lots of players....

Oh wait a minute, 27 year old Fed is already getting owned by lots of players....

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
30 is old for tennis....

True, just ask Andre ;)

platinum
09-02-2008, 04:48 PM
True, just ask Andre ;)

He is the exception to the rule.

bokehlicious
09-02-2008, 04:58 PM
He is the exception to the rule.

So is Santoro who did better past 30 ;)

DartMarcus
09-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Just wait for Fish - Muller final :devil:

krakenzero
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
So is Santoro who did better past 30 ;)

The oldest top ten is 28 I think:wavey:

LleytonMonfils
09-02-2008, 05:38 PM
The Semi Finals of this tournament are going to be excellent. I'm hoping for a Murray~Nadal, Federer~Roddick, but if you put Nole in place of Roddick you are looking at a GREAT last 3 matches. Whoever wins this tournament is going to have earned it. No easy ones here.

thrust
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
the first time since 4 years in which there are many contenders for the title is certainly not the most boring one, it's not that sure that Nadal will reach the final let go winning it, only some who are following the Nadal recent bandwagon will say otherwise.

so no certainly not.

Well put! Only someone looking for something to complain about woudld agree with this thread starter. Courier is really annoying me today. First he trashes Robredo before Tommy wins the first set, then he is kissing Rogers feet after the interview. Before that he is trashing Nadal^s scheduling despite the fact that Rafa won just about every tournament Courier was talking about, plus Wimbldeon!

FiBeR
09-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I havent been this excited since 2004 Australian Open!

r2473
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM

To make this convincing you need to:

1) Use the word "mug" over 5 times
2) Use the word "moonballer" over 5 times
3) Use the word "Spartan" over 10 times
4) Make references to "the good old days" when "real men" played tennis (but don't specify when this was).

But, despite its shortcomings, this was a pretty fair "arse clown" entry.

stebs
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't think you can rate an entire tournament as boring before it is finished and let alone at this stage.

r2473
09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Another boring day at The Open. No drama. Each match more predictable than the one before. Everyone just a straight sets beatdown.

fast_clay
09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
To make this convincing you need to:

1) Use the word "mug" over 5 times
2) Use the word "moonballer" over 5 times
3) Use the word "Spartan" over 10 times
4) Make references to "the good old days" when "real men" played tennis (but don't specify when this was).

But, despite its shortcomings, this was a pretty fair "arse clown" entry.

agreed... cyrusking simply needed to up his mug-rate...

tangerine_dream
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Wow, this five set match between Roger and Igor is sooo boring. :zzz: I sure do miss those exciting straight set beatdowns where the winner was never in doubt.

JimmyV
09-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Man, what a totally boring US Open. The 5 set Djokovic and Federer matches were COMPLETELY predictable, and I mean who didn't see Muller qualifying and taking out the number 4 seed? Low quality sleep inducing matches all of them.

Give me real QF tennis any day, like the Nadal Almagro match at the French this year, that's real tennis.

scoobs
09-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Didn't someone ask for dramatic 5 setters involving top players?

Someone heard your order.

maconick
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I must agree that this US Open was pretty bad but surely the semis and the final can save it.

(I know Murray wasnt No.4 before the US Open, but he pretty much was no. 4 anyway)

MacTheKnife
09-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't think the USO was a failure so far. It just went pretty much true to form. There were some very entertaining matches and some duds. That's pretty normal. Having the top 4 in the semis is pretty exciting and I do think we're in for a couple of wars. The down side is the weather screwing up Sat. Would really have liked to see this go off as planned. I for one, can't wait for the semis.

This was not any where near the snooze fest the FO was.

Stensland
09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
how long has it been that we've had the best 4 players in the world competing in the semis?

groundstroke
09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Hmm.. funny how the King (federer) became into the Big Two (federer and roddick) then Federer dominated for a looooooooong time, now Federer had Nadal join him to become the Big Two (federer and nadal), then Djokovic joined for the Big Three and now it looks like Murray is joining for the Big Four. This is providing Murray beats Nadal.

Bernard Black
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't get why so many people haven't enjoyed this tournament. The semi-finals have ended up 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, which is great in my opinion. Any combination in the final is equally exciting.

Stop moaning and sit back and enjoy the ride :)

NyGeL
09-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I liked this USOpen. It was better than Wimbledon and Roland Garros.

Jimnik
09-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I must agree that this US Open was pretty bad
I must disagree.

I don't get why so many people haven't enjoyed this tournament.
Most people have enjoyed it. It's just that a few clowns feel the need to start threads like this.

SushiMinimal
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
This is one of the most retarded threads ever, this is the most interesting US Open in so many years, JDMP, Murray, Fish vs Rafa in one half, Nole v Fed in the other.

I second this.

Sunset of Age
09-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't get why so many people haven't enjoyed this tournament. The semi-finals have ended up 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, which is great in my opinion. Any combination in the final is equally exciting.

Stop moaning and sit back and enjoy the ride :)

Not only the top 4 making it to the semis, but also the amazing run of a bunch of very promising Young Guns (Nishikori, Cilic, JMDP) AND the surprise of the tournament - Muller - has made this USO a very interesting one to me.

pricdews
09-06-2008, 01:42 AM
I think the semis and final will make up for it, but there have been at most rare exciting moments so far. The quarters were especially bad:

Fed against a mug - the first and last time you'll see me use "mug"
Fish not showing up against Nadal. The first set showed why an in form Fish can make it tough for Nadal.
Murray and Del Potro - 2 top rising talents put on horrific display.
Djokovic showing early that Roddick wasn't going to be a challenge. Nole had to wake up after the 3rd set to finish it off.

None of the quarters went 5. None were really in doubt after around the 2nd set.

Highlights so far:
Santoro - time to retire
NY crowd booing Djokovic - I guess 100% booing is easier to tune out this weekend?
Cilic/Djokovic - potential Croat/Serb rivalry for the next 5+ years?
Young nearly taking out Blake - this kid has potential
Nishikori/Del Potro - neither could keep top form in the end

What's made this so boring is not seeing a slumping Federer or a out-of-his element Nadal get much of a threat in the draw.

Federer - 3 qualifiers (I think), Stepanek (rolled over), Andreev (choked)
Nadal - Phau, DeHeart, Troicki, Querrey, Fish (#35) - so 1 top 50 player to get to the semis?

Too many European players faded in the heat/humidity, maybe tired from the Olympics? Guys like Tsonga, Monfils, Gulbis, etc should do better. Youzhny and Ancic were surprisingly missed. Even watching Hewitt run someone around or Baghdadtis fade away in the heat would have added been a mild thrill. Roddick/Gulbis was wasted on the 2nd round. Overall the effort and quality just wasn't up to par. Fortunately the semis are setup to be outstanding.