J-Block Fired? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

J-Block Fired?

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Now I am not sure about this but McEnroe said that J-Block was fired? Does anyone know anything about this?

alfonsojose
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Jo Tsonga's block?

Fee
09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Fired from what? James lost, they don't cheer for other people. He goes home, they go home.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
i really don't know that much about the J-Block, but i have a gut feeling that this news is a good thing for tennis...

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Johnny Mac is just spouting off at the mouth. As annoying as they are, at least they are raising money for charity, which is more than a lot of other obnoxious fan groups can say. They'll be back next year, I am sure.

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Something happened in the match last night vs. Fishy but I don't know what, fishy complained they were making too much noise and the ump officially shushed them, from what I can ascertain.

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Hopefully someone who was actually paying attention will shed some light on this...

Edit: OK here (http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/monday/sports/ny-sponotes015825433sep01,0,901208.story) we go.

:haha: wow even his own teammate and brother bitched about the jblock... if blake keeps insisting they are respectful he is either being disingenuous or he's never had to sit in the stands with them...

nihil66
09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hopefully someone who was actually paying attention will shed some light on this...

:lol: brilliant

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
What was up with Blake anyway? he was mad at the umpire or fish or J-block?

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
James was pretty clear that the J-Block was not going to cease to exist just b/c of what happened in the match against Mardy.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 07:22 PM
James was pretty clear that the J-Block was not going to cease to exist just b/c of what happened in the match against Mardy.

So McEnroe again b.s'ed on TV? Wow! Why do they let this guy say these things on TV?

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:24 PM

Bummer. :(

Pfloyd
09-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Good. They were so annoying.

If they want to raise money for charity they could do something else.

scoobs
09-01-2008, 07:28 PM
In Blake's presser he was very acerbic about the umpire doing that, felt they hadn't crossed any lines and other fans can be worse.

In Fish's presser he wasn't impressed about them, you got the impression, but he closed discussion down very quickly.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I thought Fish was not exactly playing like a friend playing a friend. Even Roddick respects these guys when he plays his friend but Fish was acting like Blake had killed his dad.

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I have an idea, maybe they could buy the t-shirts, and come out and root for James, and not be complete and total drunken assholes.

jayjay
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I have an idea, maybe they could buy the t-shirts, and come out and root for James, and not be complete and total drunken assholes.

They're just being themselves.

Oh and they raise money for charity, so it makes it alright. Apparently.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 07:37 PM
could this spell trouble for the US davis cup team...

i hope so, for the time the USTA stopped all returning pros from playing for their country for 5 years in Davis cup in 1968... therby robbing the connection and knowledge traditionally passed down... laver, rosewall, emmo, stolle, newcombe, roche... and we were left with was fukking john alexander...

:lol:

yes i am bitter...

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I thought Fish was not exactly playing like a friend playing a friend. Even Roddick respects these guys when he plays his friend but Fish was acting like Blake had killed his dad.

:worship: Fishy for putting all that friend crap aside like a true spartan.

Chip_s_m
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Aside from shouting during points and right before a player is about to serve, I have no problems with the J-Block (or any fan) from beinig super rowdy. Unless they're saying truly awful things, which I don't think they are (if they have please enlighten me), then what's the big deal? Roddick makes an interesting point. This is a competitive, professional sport. What is it about tennis that means we have to be prim and proper. I think rowdy fans insert some electricity into the game that in my opinion could be a positive force.

I'm having trouble making a judgement on this particular situation since the details are vague. Fish wasn't giving many details and Blake naturally isn't going to publicly call out his own fans. If they were yelling during and at the beginning of points then I'm glad the umpire said something. Shouting and cheering, though, even if drunk and obnoxious, is ok in my opinion unless it's truly inappropriate.

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 07:50 PM
In the third set, Blake’s supporters seemed to blur the line between support and unsportsmanlike conduct by reacting to Fish’s mistakes with loud cheers. - NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/sports/tennis/31fish.html?ref=tennis)
That's not so bad I guess but last year in his match vs. Haas they were just freaking irritating as hell, they were sooooo loud and obnoxious through the entire match, I ended up rooting for TOMMY HAAS even though he is by far my least favorite player, so from the point of view of a ticketbuyer who had to sit through a match with them nearby I freaking hate them. There were a couple little kids in front of me and at one point one little kid turned to his mama and said, "They're so annoying." Like 7 year old kid was annoyed!!!

also I heard completely unsubstantiated rumors about them yelling stuff to Santoro a la "where were you during the war?" (WWII? wha?)

And then one of them was rude to poor Mrs. Lazenby on television when she was just making chitchat.

freeandlonely
09-01-2008, 07:53 PM
What is J-Block, they are not just ordinary fans group?

dorkgirl
09-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Also calling Gasquet a 'faggot', add that one to their charming support of Blake.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 07:57 PM
I know J-Block is annoying, but what kind of name is Mardy really? I mean Mardy Fish? Your parents don't love you if they can't come up with a better name. That's just MHO.

Tommy_Vercetti
09-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I agree that other fans can be worse, especially for South American players. Gonzalez at the U.S. Open always has a bunch of Chileans that act stupid at times. However, to my knowledge, he doesn't know them personally and doesn't have them come to his matches to act like that. It's pathetic really. Couldn't every player have a bunch of people he knows outside of tennis come to act like a bunch of obnoxious idiots at their matches? It shouldn't be tolerated. Just like it isn't in golf. It is supposed to be a gentleman's sport. I think it's hilarious that Blake now defends them so much, when in the past, he said he had no control over them and lied constantly about it, same as he does about his sportsmanship.

the graduate
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I heard the same thing and James had no chance he had lots of bad calls from linesman,even today with Monfils there questionable calls and Fish complaining about Monfils team,he is a bitch.Sam Querry s frat boys are worse.J block was respectful for the most part..

Snoo Foo
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh wait it wasn't exactly a completely unsubstantiated rumor, it was from Jon Wertheim (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/09/09/50.things/2.html).
I had always assumed this was a harmless cheering section of Connecticut Brahmins, adding some energy to James Blake's matches. I checked out the "block" for myself and, at the risk of sounding like Claude Raines, I was shocked by what I saw and heard. "Cheers" included "lock-and-load on him, James." Fabrice Santoro was told that "France sucks." Santoro was also asked: "Where were you during the war?" Tommy Haas was treated to a quick countdown as he prepared to serve. A fan in a neighboring box accurately yelled, "You guys are acting like bullies."

Hey, we're all for more volume and enthusiastic cheering. We're all for "beering up" a gin-and-tonic crowd. But yelling "France sucks?" Yeesh. Especially given that decorum is Blake's stock-in-trade, it was surprising that his cheering section seems to have so little of it.
Meow!

Tommy_Vercetti
09-01-2008, 08:05 PM
That means nothing. Wertheim is one of the main people responsible for spreading the whole James "Nice Guy" Blake bullshit. That's what it is. Even though I despise Spadea, at least he was willing to call Blake on his false image. Blake has always been a complainer and a sore loser. Wertheim is a politically correct idiot. I remember when he made a big deal about Capriati playing a patriotic song. He probably made that shit up about them saying that about France to fit his agenda.

Deivid23
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Nothing like HFC, JBlock are only wannabes

out_here_grindin
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
That means nothing. Wertheim is one of the main people responsible for spreading the whole James "Nice Guy" Blake bullshit. That's what it is. Even though I despise Spadea, at least he was willing to call Blake on his false image. Blake has always been a complainer and a sore loser. Wertheim is a politically correct idiot. I remember when he made a big deal about Capriati playing a patriotic song. He probably made that shit up about them saying that about France to fit his agenda.

Like in the Olympics.

Blake look me in the eye and tell me you would admit that it hit your racket in that sitaution.

Scotso
09-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Johnny Mac is just spouting off at the mouth. As annoying as they are, at least they are raising money for charity, which is more than a lot of other obnoxious fan groups can say. They'll be back next year, I am sure.

Sure they're obnoxious, rude, angry assholes.... but that's okay, because they give to charity!

MusicMyst
09-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Steve Ulrich's comment was perfect. :lol:

I think that the J-Block just needs to raise money for charity a little more quietly. :)

MusicMyst
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Sure they're obnoxious, rude, angry assholes.... but that's okay, because they give to charity!

That's the motto of most frats, you know. :lol:

dam0dred
09-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Yet another reason to cheer for Blake to lose. A bunch of ignorant thugs.

moon language
09-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Wertheim is a politically correct idiot. I remember when he made a big deal about Capriati playing a patriotic song. He probably made that shit up about them saying that about France to fit his agenda.

It wasn't really a patriotic song though, wasn't it "Bombs Over Baghdad" at the beginning of the Iraq war? I mean, it was a pretty ridiculous choice.

Pea
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Yay for Mardy Fish!:lol:

ghostbear
09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/157/jblock4mc.jpg

C'mon, no brothers?

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Understanding the heat that I am going to get for this, under this facade of a good human being surviving shingles and all stuff like that, James Blake is really a desperate man recycling his story again and again to keep himself relevant in the tennis world. The funny thing he has a story that allows him to be relevant outside tennis without him needing to play, so he can retire and ride into the sun with J-Block folks. Why bother showing up when you loses to Fishes and Horses.

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Understanding the heat that I am going to get for this, under this facade of a good human being surviving shingles and all stuff like that, James Blake is really a desperate man recycling his story again and again to keep himself relevant in the tennis world. The funny thing he has a story that allows him to be relevant outside tennis without him needing to play, so he can retire and ride into the sun with J-Block folks. Why bother showing up when you loses to Fishes and Horses.It's not even worth giving you any heat over this because it's 100% irrelevant to the J-Block's existence except that they are the very same friends who helped him through his hard times. Beyond that, I see no relevance whatsoever.

SheepleBuster
09-02-2008, 12:05 AM
It's not even worth giving you any heat over this because it's 100% irrelevant to the J-Block's existence except that they are the very same friends who helped him through his hard times. Beyond that, I see no relevance whatsoever.

It was just to preempt the negative responses. And my spelling seems to get worse every day ;) I think Americans play tennis to get the models.

star
09-02-2008, 02:25 AM
I compare these J-Block guys with Sam's Samurai folks. The Samurai just seem so much more mellow even though enthusiastic.

As a tennis fan it's not much fun to sit around people who are so driven their cheering. I think there are several cheering blocks who have gotten flack because of it. Also the drunken aspect is distasteful. And if they are yelling insults, that's not good either.

At least with the Chileans, I can't tell if they are yelling insults, and I love that song they sing. One night going away from a match, I heard some ball boys singing it. :) :)

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 02:31 AM
I compare these J-Block guys with Sam's Samurai folks. The Samurai just seem so much more mellow even though enthusiastic.

As a tennis fan it's not much fun to sit around people who are so driven their cheering. I think there are several cheering blocks who have gotten flack because of it. Also the drunken aspect is distasteful. And if they are yelling insults, that's not good either.

At least with the Chileans, I can't tell if they are yelling insults, and I love that song they sing. One night going away from a match, I heard some ball boys singing it. :) :)

i think the swedes who were haunting melbourne when edberg was getting about in oz were the best i ever heard.. pissed, funny and loud... but.. then again... rowdy in oz is almost acceptable till somone loses an eye...

i dont agree with the race card being used... but i do agree with the poster who said the blondes of j-block looked quite slutty... which is good...

star
09-02-2008, 02:36 AM
i think the swedes who were haunting melbourne when edberg was getting about in oz were the best i ever heard.. pissed, funny and loud... but.. then again... rowdy in oz is almost acceptable till somone loses an eye...

i dont agree with the race card being used... but i do agree with the poster who said the blondes of j-block looked quite slutty... which is good...

The Swedes got some criticism from the crowd didn't they? At some point? I know the fanatics got under some players' skins. I think Roddick got pissed at them one time.

Not to play the race card, but are blondes more slutty looking than brunettes? :lol:

That guy on the far right of the picture looks like a nasty character.

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 02:45 AM
The Swedes got some criticism from the crowd didn't they? At some point? I know the fanatics got under some players' skins. I think Roddick got pissed at them one time.

Not to play the race card, but are blondes more slutty looking than brunettes? :lol:

That guy on the far right of the picture looks like a nasty character.

yeah... many times the aussie crowd get upset at the swedes... but that's usually because the beer is empty at the heineken tent...

no... u r right... brunettes are just as slutty in the end... its just that blondes are slutty without needing to put on any beer goggles...

yeah for sure... the nasty guy on the right look as tho he belongs on a viking ship... ready to wage war with a village of men that look like andy murry... an even contest i would imagine by the looks... :lol:

fast_clay
09-02-2008, 02:54 AM
the only thing i can really draw from this thread of any substance is that blonde sluts and tennis still go together... something i feel Bjorn Borg would be completely happy with...

jcempire
09-02-2008, 06:01 AM
J-block just came out there to cheer for Blake, It doesn't matter the game goes win or lose, Guess what they don't get pay neither.

So who cares!

Even that's a lose, They still enjoy

Castafiore
09-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Also calling Gasquet a 'faggot', add that one to their charming support of Blake.
Yes, they sure are very respectful towards opponents all the time. :rolleyes:
They did the same thing to Feliciano Lopez once (and I know Lopez is the target of many jokes on MTF but it's still a pretty rotten thing to do in a match situation).

I don't have a problem with them cheering loudly. I sat near part of Querrey's support group once and they were LOUD and they were shouting the weirdest things to Sam (like this big guy who kept shouting. "You're the man, Sam. Come on, baby. Let's do it."). It was odd to listen to and I felt for his opponent at the time because it wasn't always easy to concentrate but it was okay: a tennis match is not supposed to be a funeral after all.

But I just wished that Blake asked his J-Block to tone it down just a bit.

smitty8
09-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I had the pleasure of sitting near the J Block for that Fish vs. Blake match. Very rude, very loud, very drunk, very obnoxious. I've seen them before in person, but it seems that it gets more annoying over time. I've seen a lot of different fan groups and this is the most annoying, irritating one I've been around. It was so annoying, that I left after the second set, just because of them.

dam0dred
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
J-block just came out there to cheer for Blake, It doesn't matter the game goes win or lose, Guess what they don't get pay neither.

So who cares!

Did you even bother to read this thread? That's the whole point, they don't just come and cheer for Blake, they insult and boo his opponents, are drunk and rowdy and ruin the experience for other fans. The fact that Blake encourages them to do this just proves with a self-absorbed shit he is.

Pea
09-02-2008, 06:53 PM

So who cares!

:hearts:

exposbabe
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I had the pleasure of sitting near the J Block for that Fish vs. Blake match. Very rude, very loud, very drunk, very obnoxious. I've seen them before in person, but it seems that it gets more annoying over time. I've seen a lot of different fan groups and this is the most annoying, irritating one I've been around. It was so annoying, that I left after the second set, just because of them.

Yup, I was near them for all three matches, and that was pretty much my take. They were cute at first. Last year, they started to get mildly annoying. This year, after the second match, I realized they were completely irritating and had crossed the line from "cute idea" to "big, fat joke."
Then came the Fish match.
And yes, they are drunken assholes. It's funny that all their wimmen (who wear white T-shirts), sit in the background while it's the same drunken dudes who stand up after every point.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z266/exposbabe/USOpen%202008/obnoxiousjblock.jpg

More photos at opencourt.ca (http://opencourt.ca)

My point to James would be, if these guys are such good buddies that they're the ones who stick with you through thick and thin, how come they NEVER sit in your "friends' box"? Just a thought.

oliviasmith
09-02-2008, 08:48 PM
My point to James would be, if these guys are such good buddies that they're the ones who stick with you through thick and thin, how come they NEVER sit in your "friends' box"? Just a thought.

good point!

the novelty of the j-block has definitely worn off. they are corny and lame, just like blake.

Fee
09-03-2008, 02:50 AM

Because there are too many of them. The whole idea is for them to be a 'block' and to sit together in their t-shirts. Ever noticed they are always on the balcony of a luxury box when James plays on Ashe? The real question is who does that luxury box belong to, Nike, Dunlop, or the USTA?

jcempire
09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Did you even bother to read this thread? That's the whole point, they don't just come and cheer for Blake, they insult and boo his opponents, are drunk and rowdy and ruin the experience for other fans. The fact that Blake encourages them to do this just proves with a self-absorbed shit he is.

Is it fun to watch?

His oppoents alway focus on the game, who cares.

Paul Banks
09-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Thank God Blake lost early!