USO R4: Big Fish makes chum of [32] Monfils 7-5, 6-2, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R4: Big Fish makes chum of [32] Monfils 7-5, 6-2, 6-2

MIMIC
09-01-2008, 05:14 PM
:eek: :eek: I've never seen Fish look so in form. He was incredible. Monfils couldn't find any answers for Mardy's magnificent play today. Gael was dead in the water and Mardy was a piranha that savagely mauled him.

Dare I say that Fish looked like he could win the whole thing?

Tom Paulman
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Can't believe I enjoyed watching Fish play :lol:

Spes
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
ATP :help:

Out of shape slob into a slam QF. Seems anyone can make one now.

Jokes aside, nice win for Fish. Glad it came on his dad's birthday, that's some present. ;)

Jaap
09-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Monfils is a useless player.

Tennis Fool
Monfils has no defense.

Ilovetheblues_86
C´mon Mardy reach the semifinal, show true tennis power!!:rolleyes:

Pfloyd
Fish played well, no doubt.

But Monfils was just pushing the ball towards the middle.

sdtoot
09-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Well played Mardy, but these French players just hit UE's for fun when they are put under a bit of pressure. It was just like watching Tsonga last night.

percyolivares
monfils, typical a shit frenchie! he had a all the chances in the first set but chokes!

usless player with no confidence, go breakdancing!

tangerine_dream
Wow. Mardy actually managed to demoralise two good players in a row. :lol:

Happy birthday to Daddy Fish, and to Monfils. :bdaycake:

Sunset of Age
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: fantastic run, Mardy, and thanks for the cash! :p

seljanin
I saw only 3rd set, but Fish was ripping him apart :O

Good win, Mardy, and great result! However, seems that QF will be the last stop for him :/

Grinder
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Amazing stuff from Mardy in the last three rounds, just winner after winner. :worship:

Now get some blow from Stacey. :D

Clydey
Jeez, Fish has some game. He gave Monfils a lesson and had under 50% serves in.

percyolivares
Gasquet, Matthieu, Tsonga and now Monfils!

All pure shit as favorite, all pure shit french player!

Jaap
09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow. Mardy actually managed to demoralise two good players in a row. :lol:

Happy birthday to Daddy Fish, and to Monfils. :bdaycake:

Blake and Monfils good players? :confused:

martine2
09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
:eek: Quite a surprise, but congrats to Fish!

~Maya~
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Way to go Fish :yeah:

:hug: Monfils, not a bad run in USO 2008

tangerine_dream
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Blake and Monfils good players? :confused:
They were both the favorties going into their match with Mardy. Even knowledgeable MTFers gave Mardy no chance of upsetting Monfils, in straights sets no less. :p

ReturnWinner
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Fish played this well against Blake, maybe now he will get some credit :rolleyes:. massive serving -although usually with a very low %- and good all court game.

knight_ley
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
:woohoo:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
The sexy forehand is back. :D :worship:

Fish will destroy Nadull.

Chloe le Bopper
09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Well played Mardy, but these French players just hit UE's for fun when they are put under a bit of pressure. It was just like watching Tsonga last night.

Them French folk all look the same.

Iván
09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Why doesnt fish play like this in finals.................?

MadHatter
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Well done Mardy. I'm a bit concerned for Rafa in the QF.

sheeter
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Fish played well, and a lot of Monfils shots were in Fish's strike zone.

sdtoot
09-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Them French folk all look the same.

They all play the same. :rolleyes:

FedFan
09-01-2008, 05:36 PM
The sexy forehand is back. :D :worship:

Fish will destroy Nadull.

We will see, but it is the type of player, that can give Rafa problems. Remember Tsonga in the Australian Open. Rafa could do nothing against his offensive game.

vucina
09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
monfils, typical a shit frenchie! he had a all the chances in the first set but chokes!

usless player with no confidence, go breakdancing!

:eek:That's racist. True, though.

This fish is the same as Tsonga. He gets into the zone with his ballbashing once or twice a year. I can't believe it, but he actually has a chance of going all the way.

freeandlonely
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
How soon a viewpoint to Monfils could change lol

NicolasKiefer44
09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Mardy's dream run is about to end. He won't get past Nadal, and/or Federer, and/or The Joker. I hope Mardy is really enjoying this moment.

And because Mardy has the luxury of being a professional athlete for a living, I would think he would be in better shape.

~Maya~
09-01-2008, 05:46 PM
We will see, but it is the type of player, that can give Rafa problems. Remember Tsonga in the Australian Open. Rafa could do nothing against his offensive game.

True. But Fish can also melt easily. We know that is not the case with Rafa

green25814
09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
monfils is an athletic moonballer. Nothing else really.

Tom Paulman
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Fish Querrey will destroy Nadull.

This would be better

finishingmove
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
the fishmeister is amphibious.

was monfils injured though? i didnt see much of the match, but in the end he looked like he's playing in slow motion.

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Mardy's dream run is about to end. He won't get past Nadal, and/or Federer, and/or The Joker. I hope Mardy is really enjoying this moment. Of course he is, that's plainly obvious. He also has a really huge and very happy life event coming up, so I'm sure he's doing fine and will be doing fine even after he loses :)

And because Mardy has the luxury of being a professional athlete for a living, I would think he would be in better shape.He's gotten a lot fitter in the past year, he has a full-time trainer now. A few years ago, his big knock was that he hated to work hard. He's definitely come a long way in that respect.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
You can't get enough of that sexy forehand.

Ouragan
09-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Gasquet, Matthieu, Tsonga and now Monfils!

All pure shit as favorite, all pure shit french player!

Wow. Post of the year, for sure.

Truc
09-01-2008, 06:08 PM
was monfils injured though? i didnt see much of the match, but in the end he looked like he's playing in slow motion.He took a medical time-out for his knee at the beginning of the 2nd set, but he didn't look hampered in his movement to me. He got a little strapping which was removed at the end of the 2nd set.

It was a really poor effort from him after having lost the 1st set. He didn't put up any resistance, looked flat, no fight.
Fish played well, but he had no real opposition - like Monfils in the last round!

Tommy_Vercetti
09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow, you actually got to a QF Fish, now you can just tank. But at least you earned it and didn't get walkovers and the easiest draws imaginable like Blake always has to advance that far. See if you can take a set off Nadal, though don't hope for the same praise that Blake got. They acted like he won a Slam when he took a set off Federer.

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 06:29 PM
You can't get enough of that sexy forehand.ain't that the truth:worship:

alfonsojose
09-01-2008, 06:30 PM
:eek: Not a fan but congrats to Fish :yeah:
If he can stop Pocahontas , better :devil:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 06:33 PM
ain't that the truth:worship:

When I watch that sexaaaay forehand the following line from "Can't Get Enough" by Bad Company springs in my mind:

I can't get enough of your love... I can't get enough of your love.

Then I change love for "sexy forehand" of course.

:worship:

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
That woman that sits in Fish's box is like the magician lady from that story where the little kid went to some retarded world after a magician dude. What was the name.

Deboogle!.
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
When I watch that sexaaaay forehand the following line from "Can't Get Enough" by Bad Company springs in my mind:

I can't get enough of your love... I can't get enough of your love.

Then I change love for "sexy forehand" of course.

:worship::spit: :haha: If only he were hitting the sexy forehand WHILE wearing the sexy blue tracksuit :awww:That woman that sits in Fish's box is like the magician lady from that story where the little kid went to some retarded world after a magician dude. What was the name.um.. you're just a bowl full of sunshine aren't you. Nice way to talk about his fiancee :rolleyes:

HeretiC
09-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Fish???:confused: 48 winners in 3 sets against Monfils defense???:eek: OH I see it now. Mushrooms? Never again.http://file020b.bebo.com/0/large/2007/07/10/22/3956466330a4937592980l.gif (http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=4386659441&PhotoId=4937595194&PhotoAlbumId=4937268816)

P.S. I'll get back later to check the real scoreline.:yeah:

Nathaliia
09-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, what can I say... happy birthday Gael :tape:

ChinoRios4Ever
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Pescado when he's on. :worship:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 06:43 PM
:spit: :haha: If only he were hitting the sexy forehand WHILE wearing the sexy blue tracksuit

I still have that pic, eh?

I'm gonna refresh my avatar if he beats Nadull.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
:spit: :haha: If only he were hitting the sexy forehand WHILE wearing the sexy blue tracksuit :awww:um.. you're just a bowl full of sunshine aren't you. Nice way to talk about his fiancee :rolleyes:

All I have to say is don't be that way. By the way, what's wrong with Fish. He moves like shark's gotten one of his legs. He's got to be the worst mover on the tour

SwiSha
09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
good to see gael out of this tournament

disgrace of a tennis player

expected win

Truc
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
He took a medical time-out for his knee at the beginning of the 2nd set, but he didn't look hampered in his movement to me. He got a little strapping which was removed at the end of the 2nd set.I listened to his interview in French, he confirms it was not an issue at all, a little strapping to compress the knee more, but it wasn't bothering him.
He means he was just having a very bad day at the office.

It was weird to see him show such little fight at a Slam, very unusual for him.

groundstroke
09-01-2008, 08:13 PM
You have to be kidding me, what the hell, how has Fish gotten this far and who is his next opponent?

groundstroke
09-01-2008, 08:21 PM
if Nadull is in the QF for Fish then I want Fish to destroy the Spanish mug.

thrust
09-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Monfils is a useless player.

Not totally useless, but much overrated!

thrust
09-01-2008, 08:58 PM
if Nadull is in the QF for Fish then I want Fish to destroy the Spanish mug.

Not going to happen, sorry!

leng jai
09-02-2008, 12:02 AM
There goes the Monfils bandwagon.

luie
09-02-2008, 12:05 AM
There goes the Monfils bandwagon.
Fat dave is useless losing to monfils.::mad::mad:

Rumour
09-02-2008, 02:45 AM
He took a medical time-out for his knee at the beginning of the 2nd set, but he didn't look hampered in his movement to me. He got a little strapping which was removed at the end of the 2nd set.

It was a really poor effort from him after having lost the 1st set. He didn't put up any resistance, looked flat, no fight.
Fish played well, but he had no real opposition - like Monfils in the last round!

I listened to his interview in French, he confirms it was not an issue at all, a little strapping to compress the knee more, but it wasn't bothering him.
He means he was just having a very bad day at the office.

It was weird to see him show such little fight at a Slam, very unusual for him.
This pretty much sums up the match - Monfils simply folded after losing the first set that he led up a break (at 3-4, I think, with Fish serving first) and having numerous chances to take the game on his opponent's serve. Even that blatantly strategic medical timeout early in the second set after being broken didn't help because, while he was able to hold right after, the Frenchman had completely given up on the match by then and was hardly even attempting to get to balls within reach. What an effort - or more accurately, lack of - to display on his birthday with his father in the stands...

Today is actually the first time I felt almost embarassed to be a Monfils fan because of the way he visibly gave up after just one set and barely even tried to make a match of it again :o Didn't even watch most of the third set as the result by that point was never in doubt. As for Fish, I admit he has impressed me this tournament and while I'll probably still never be a fan, I won't write him off either like I have in the past. That wasn't the case today though - I knew the American was playing well but had greater confidence in Monfils rising to the occasion than he obviously had in himself.

selyoink
09-02-2008, 03:10 AM
Monfils must have played like a total loser. Fish in a slam QF again. That should convince everyone that this is a mug era.

GlennMirnyi
09-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Monfils must have played like a total loser. Fish in a slam QF again. That should convince everyone that this is a mug era.

And he's gonna make the SF. :tape:

martinatreue
09-02-2008, 04:44 AM
wow how creative of posters to call players "mug" :rolleyes:

From what I can see, Mardy serves great, volleys very well, has a great backhand, an improved forehand, a good short slice, a good lob, a few dropshots, good mental focus...His movement is not great at all but it has improved. Besides, isn't the point of tennis on an aggressive surface to try to impose your weapons and make YOUR OPPONENT DO THE RUNNING??? Why would Mardy want to have to run a track meet against someone built as skinny as Monfils? Instead he used his bigger frame, upper body strength and tactics to beat the pusher today. Btw, Monfils really needs a haircut. he looks freaky with that hair sticking out as if he had stuck his finger in a socket. :o

I really don't understand why people don't seem to appreciate aggressive tennis as opposed to "Spartan" defense that is just designed to beat someone by wearing them down. I do really admire a great mover and great long rallies but also love seeing an attacking style that just cuts out all that crazy long rally stuff.

krystlel
09-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Good match from Fish. He executed his game plan well and by keeping the points short, he didn't allow Monfils to get into a rhythm or play the points he likes essentially taking away his athleticism. After the first set, Fish seemed to suck the energy out of Monfils who started to look very bored and despondent, which was maybe surprising that it happened so early on in the match given how much energy he showed in his previous matches.

Mateya
09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
This fish is good :spit:

Fish beat PHM in 2nd round, so this result also makes PHM feel better :angel:. Too bad he got Rafzilla in QF, otherwise he could have gone even further.

Gael :help:
Nalbandian :help: :retard: