Ivan Lendl [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ivan Lendl

Ada Monroe
09-01-2002, 04:02 AM
I never got to see him play. How did he use to play?

I know he was a baseliner with a flat forehand but did he have a two-handed backhand or one-handed backhand? :confused:

I've always been amazed at this 8 consecutive US Open finals appearances between 1982-89. Quite an amazing achievement.

Tryphon
09-01-2002, 10:22 AM
one-handed, with a little adidas racket.

Connors used to call him a chicken because he lost quite a few finals at first but then he turned it around and became the steel man, smoking McEnroe a few times along the way. :D

He rivalry with Wilander was also very good. :cool:

Ada Monroe
09-03-2002, 01:40 PM
Thanks Tryphon, "a little adidas racket", you mean those old rackets with really small head sizes? hehehe!

irma
09-11-2002, 09:45 AM
my family called him the deadhead, how mean:(

Ada Monroe
09-26-2002, 01:09 PM
lol irma, that's mean yeah ;)

Double Fault
09-27-2002, 06:34 PM
The matches with Connors were very intense as I recall.

billybizar
09-28-2002, 12:22 PM
Connors was usually no match for Lendl.

Lendl is simply my all time favorite. He is the one who pushed the game to a much higher level regarding physics and play tactics.
His forehand was incredibly hard for that time; something McEnroe could experience very often when he approached the net. But also his running backhand with topspin was a joy to watch.

I remember that one great final against McEnroe at RG '84. Mac was 2 sets up and no one believed Lendl could still pull it off. Also because at that point of time Mac was considered the best player in the world. But Lendl dug in and finally won masterly.
That match was a real turning point in their careers I think. Lendl's reign had just begun.

Layla
09-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by irma
my family called him the deadhead, how mean:(

Hmmm, to me that means a fan of the Grateful Dead, so I'll take it as a compliment. ;) But they probably meant it as an insult. :(

Lendl was my hero. He was the reason I started watching tennis when I was little. I had a major crush on him. I wish I could remember how he played, I was never much of an expert. I remember he was formidable on the court. Fearless, calm under pressure, very fit.

He has always been my favorite tennis player of all times until last year when I started watching tennis again and found some new faves.

I'm forever grateful for his contrigution to tennis and for introducing me to this wonderful game and being my tennis hero. :kiss: :)

Does anyone know what he is doing now?

billybizar
09-28-2002, 03:34 PM
He's playing golf now and making wacky commercials

Double Fault
09-30-2002, 12:45 AM
I never said Connors was a match for Ivan, I said their matches were intense. But, Connors was more than a match in two U.S. Open Finals.

I always rooted for Ivan at Wimbledon. I so wanted him to win a title at at the All England Club. A fierce competitor!