USO R3: Robredo beats Tsonga 7-6(2) 6-2 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R3: Robredo beats Tsonga 7-6(2) 6-2 6-3

LinkMage
09-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Terrible from Tsonga. UE fest: 63 UEs. :help:

Boredo keeps advancing. :o

EnriqueIG8
Surprising win for Robredo. I guess he was just too solid for Tsonga today, and the injury timeout didn't help either.
JWT hitted 63 UE's today :eek:

rocketassist
Fuck off Boredo. :retard:

Sunset of Age
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Very solid performance from Robredo. :hatoff:

Too bad, Jo-Willie. :hug:

leng jai
Worst US Open ever.

Richardgm
:(

Clydey
Crazy number of errors from Tsonga. What was it, 65 UEs? Tommy played solid tennis and Tsonga beat himself for the most part.

fast_clay
who told this robredo to turn up...?

TheBoiledEgg
match was lost in TB :mad: :help:

l_mac
Robredo actually played well. But I expect he will get no credit :rolleyes:

Tsonga brainlessly bashing. Dreadful at the net today, and yet another injury.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Not umexpected. Tsonga wasn't going to be 100% at this event anyway. Robredo will meet his match in Djokovic.

Alvarillo
:) Finally the best version of Robredo came back

nice, solid match from Tommy

5th time in Us Open 4th Round :)

Clydey
Worst US Open ever.

Trust me, Tommy Haas wasn't that big a loss to the tournament.

It has been a great tournament so far. 5 setters galore.

Allegretto
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Looking forward to Boredo being smashed off the court next round. :yeah:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Awful awful awful match from the Tsonganator. Should have won this easily.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Robredo actually played well. But I expect he will get no credit :rolleyes:

Tsonga brainlessly bashing. Dreadful at the net today, and yet another injury.

Tommy did play well, but Tsonga had 62 UEs. That might have had something to do with Robredo winning. Just a thought.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Robredo is the most disgusting tennis player of all time. He can't beat people. But he makes you beat yourself. His idea of playing a tennis match is like a long run or something. Just run from one side to the other and somehow pray to lord Jesus that you win. It has worked so far it seems.

Sunset of Age
09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Crazy number of errors from Tsonga. What was it, 65 UEs? Tommy played solid tennis and Tsonga beat himself for the most part.

Tsonga got two injury treatments (as far as I know, Eurosport didn't show all of the match), so that might account for his huge no. of UEs...

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Robredo is the most disgusting tennis player of all time. He can't beat people. But he makes you beat yourself. His idea of playing a tennis match is like a long run or something. Just run from one side to the other and somehow pray to lord Jesus that you win. It has worked so far it seems.

Aren't you a Rafatard/Fakertard? :lol:

HoistDaColors
jo is so entertaining. but his last service game sums the match all up, couldn't string any points together and barely holding on. :o

Clydey
Awful awful awful match from the Tsonganator. Should have won this easily.

He's just back from surgery. Baby Ali needs time. Had Tsonga been fit, I doubt the US Open officials would have let Robredo on the same court as Tsonga. They would have handed him his plane ticket and directed him towards the airport.

l_mac

He hates Nadal. I think he is a NoleTroll.

l_mac
09-01-2008, 12:53 AM
Tommy did play well, but Tsonga had 62 UEs. That might have had something to do with Robredo winning. Just a thought.

Tsonga is a basher. They always rack up UEs. :shrug:

vincayou
Boredo too solid for Tsonga today.

A terrible amount of UEs but not that surprising, not much was expected anyway from Jo at the beginning of the slam. He lacks competition.
Please no more injuries now.

vucina
Smart clown beats brainless clown. Expected and deserved.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Tsonga got two injury treatments (as far as I know, Eurosport didn't show all of the match), so that might account for his huge no. of UEs...

Probably. Saw him grimacing after some of those forehands. Was flexing his leg in between serves too. Looked like he had problems all round.

What was with Robredo having treatment? There was clearly nothing wrong with him. He was being treated for cramp after 2 sets.

mayagaller

And quite often, a player's unforced errors have a lot do do with their opponent playing just too well for them on a given day. Just a thought.

Rumour
Disappointing result for Tsonga :sad:

Well done to Robredo though, still able to make the MTF masses froth at the mouth by refusing to just lay down and lose to their faves.

SheepleBuster

Laugh all you want but baby Jesus won't be there to save Tommy against Novak.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Tsonga is a basher. They always rack up UEs. :shrug:

Loads of errors from his ball bashing when he drop volleyed Nadal to death :devil:

new-york
Didn't expect Tsonga to be at his best so not really a surprise here, he needs some match play.
Hopefully, he'll come back soon to top form and stay healthy.

Very solid from Tommy.

Sjengster
Can't say I'm surprised by the result - everyone expected, or rather hoped, Tsonga would wipe Robredo off the court, but it's the players with reliable and consistent power that always take care of him. That's why Federer and Roddick have such huge unblemished records against Robredo while Safin has had a lot of tussles with him and come out on the losing end of most of them. This was always going to be a test of Tsonga's patience and fitness when he was just coming back from an injury, and he isn't up to it yet.

malisha
Tsonga need to rest and pray Lord no more injury in his way:yeah:

Boredo:retard:

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 12:56 AM
He's just back from surgery. Baby Ali needs time. Had Tsonga been fit, I doubt the US Open officials would have let Robredo on the same court as Tsonga. They would have handed him his plane ticket and directed him towards the airport.

to be fair, probably did well for a comeback showing...

be nice to see the big fella stay healthy for the indoor season and go deep somewhere...

ClaudiuS
09-01-2008, 12:56 AM
:haha: Tsonga. Absolutely awful today. A complete joke.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
And quite often, a player's unforced errors have a lot do do with their opponent playing just too well for them on a given day. Just a thought.

Unforced errors are unforced. In other words, the opponent doesn't cause them. Vocabulary not your strong point?

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 12:57 AM

Yeah, but anyway, he should have won this, doesn't matter. He's a big server - something Boredo can't cope with - and he's good at the net. If Roddick, who's pathetic at the net, could beat Boredo, ON CLAY, serve and volleying, why couldn't Tsonga today?

He hates Nadal. I think he is a NoleTroll.

Thanks, I can't bring myself to remember every single no-one around here.

A Fakertard complaining about Boredo being a pusher is pretty funny.

l_mac
09-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Loads of errors from his ball bashing when he drop volleyed Nadal to death :devil:

So far his AO perormance has been the exception, rather than the rule. :shrug: Every basher has one tournament where it all comes together.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 12:59 AM
to be fair, probably did well for a comeback showing...

be nice to see the big fella stay healthy for the indoor season and go deep somewhere...

I thought he did really well when you consider the lack of tennis. Shows his quality this year. 3rd round would have been a good result for a healthy Tsonga in 2007.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 12:59 AM
If Roddick, who's pathetic at the net, could beat Boredo, ON CLAY, serve and volleying, why couldn't Tsonga today?

its fair logic... really tough watching robredo get through today... no ups, no downs... just... boredo...

l_mac
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks, I can't bring myself to remember every single no-one around here.

You're welcome. My excellent memory allows me to remember every poster who has ever made even the most harmless of nagative remrks against Rafa. :D

Clydey
09-01-2008, 01:00 AM
So far his AO perormance has been the exception, rather than the rule. :shrug: Every basher has one tournament where it all comes together.

He has barely played since the AO, so you can't really call it an exception when he has played so little tennis since he took Nadal to school.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 01:03 AM
i actually dont feel good...

i think its bad for my health watching robredo...

rocketassist
09-01-2008, 01:03 AM
In a way it's a relief that Fakervic can come in and school him next round so he can't bore us anymore.

Baby Ali, pah, even unfit should still win this.

star
09-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Unforced errors are unforced. In other words, the opponent doesn't cause them. Vocabulary not your strong point?

Insults aside, sometimes players press too much or go for too much resulting in unforced errors. The error is not forced by the opponent's shot, but comes from the player's own fears of what the returner might do. I think this may have been the poster's point. Technically speaking those are unforced errors because the opponent's shot did not force the error. Also, it depends on how the tournament counts unforced errors. At Roland Garros, I notice every error is an unforced error while at Wimbledon no volley error is ever an unforced error. That's why Rafter played a whole match at Wimbledon once with only 4 unforced errors, but really he missed some volleys he should have made.

l_mac
He has barely played since the AO, so you can't really call it an exception when he has played so little tennis since he took Nadal to school.

I think you'll find I can call it what I like :D

SheepleBuster
I admire Robredo for being such an overachiever. Going out with Ivanovic, winning matches without a serve or forehand or a tennis brain. It's impressive really.

Clydey
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM
i actually dont feel good...

i think its bad for my health watching robredo...

Robredo being played on a constant loop has a variety of side effects: nausea, headaches, diarrhea, coma, death.

Attacking, all court tennis is the only cure.

leng jai
09-01-2008, 01:06 AM

Its not always that simple. Unforced errors can come about because of what your opponent has done in previous points such as tactics. Often they're a result of psychological effects as a result of your opponent's style of play or the fact that they've just come back from a huge deficit. Boredo does it regularly with his sleep inducing pushing which causes his opponents to either lose concentration or spray UEs everywhere to reduce the torture time.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Robredo being played on a constant loop has a variety of side effects: nausea, headaches, diarrhea, coma, death.

Attacking, all court tennis is the only cure.

yeah.. i hear they used him at Guantanamo...

nasty...

Boarder35m
09-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Once again MTF shows its ugly face. :(

I am not a fan from Robredo, but I am happy if I see a nice game and that´s why I don´t get this bashing for Robredo. :(

Also the discussion about UE. Of course you can allways say that is has something to do with his operation. Never in doubt. But to completely neglect any responsibility to the opponent is simply not real. Often UE are signs that you have no real chance your opponent.

As a peson I like Tsonga more than Robredo, as he does show emotions and gets the crowd behind him. But when Robredo wins he totally deserves the credits and not posts like the mojority in here :(

Clydey
09-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Insults aside, sometimes players press too much or go for too much resulting in unforced errors. The error is not forced by the opponent's shot, but comes from the player's own fears of what the returner might do. I think this may have been the poster's point. Technically speaking those are unforced errors because the opponent's shot did not force the error. Also, it depends on how the tournament counts unforced errors. At Roland Garros, I notice every error is an unforced error while at Wimbledon no volley error is ever an unforced error. That's why Rafter played a whole match at Wimbledon once with only 4 unforced errors, but really he missed some volleys he should have made.

While I agree with you (had actually planned on adding that to my post), I don't think Robredo falls into that category. He's not a player like Nadal, who forces you to go for too much.

I also think players who know how to effectively change pace can cause what tennis illiterates class as unforced errors. Again, Robredo doesn't fall into that category. He is an average (in the context of top players) player all around and his retrieving skills aren't something to be feared.

vincayou
09-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Wow I guess that the defeat at Australian open hasn't been digested by every Nadal fan. :lol:

Clydey
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Its not always that simple. Unforced errors can come about because of what your opponent has done in previous points such as tactics. Often they're a result of psychological effects as a result of your opponent's style of play or the fact that they've just come back from a huge deficit. Boredo does it regularly with his sleep inducing pushing which causes his opponents to either lose concentration or spray UEs everywhere to reduce the torture time.

Like I said, above, I agree with you. However, I don't think Robredo's movement or defence is good enough to force a player to go for too much or go out of their comfort zone.

That's something a player like Nadal makes happen.

sawan66278
09-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Unless truly injured, a loss to Robredo on hard courts is almost as bad as a male player losing to a Williams sister.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Once again MTF shows its ugly face. :(

I am not a fan from Robredo, but I am happy if I see a nice game and that´s why I don´t get this bashing for Robredo. :(

Also the discussion about UE. Of course you can allways say that is has something to do with his operation. Never in doubt. But to completely neglect any responsibility to the opponent is simply not real. Often UE are signs that you have no real chance your opponent.

As a peson I like Tsonga more than Robredo, as he does show emotions and gets the crowd behind him. But when Robredo wins he totally deserves the credits and not posts like the mojority in here :(

there is a bit of extra pepper alright... but i guess that's what you get when u crucify the saviour...

i mean... look how sad novak had to get, sucking up to the aussie crowd post match by making them feel bad, to make himself feel worthy... when in reality, the aussie crowd wanted the peoples champion...

just comes with the territory i'd say...

l_mac
09-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Wow I guess that the defeat at Australian open hasn't been digested by every Nadal fan. :lol:

It keeps me up nights. Rafa could have been going for the Golden Slam :bigcry:

:rolleyes:

leng jai
09-01-2008, 01:17 AM

Don't deny it Linda.

GlennMirnyi
its fair logic... really tough watching robredo get through today... no ups, no downs... just... boredo...

So true. Tactically Ali's match was pathetic.

You're welcome. My excellent memory allows me to remember every poster who has ever made even the most harmless of nagative remrks against Rafa. :D

Good. I'm probably at the top of your list, then? :p

Nadulltards have a real problem with tennis vocabulary. Or any vocabulary.

fast_clay
Unless truly injured, a loss to Robredo on hard courts is almost as bad as a male player losing to a Williams sister.

gee whiz... i thought i was doing a great job in having a spray at boredo... but, holy sh!t, u have some game... :lol:

Clydey
09-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Personally, I think he'll get it next year. If not, I imagine it will only be the AO that eludes him again.

vincayou
09-01-2008, 01:19 AM

Yeah that's what even more frightening, that's not like Nadal hasn't won anything since that. :lol:

Some scary people on MTF... :lol:

l_mac
09-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Don't deny it Linda.
I didn't :shrug: It consumes me.
Good. I'm probably at the top of your list, then? :p

Number one with a bullet :p
Personally, I think he'll get it next year. If not, I imagine it will only be the AO that eludes him again.

Oh, sure, it's a given he'll win every Slam from now till the end of 2011, but this was his last chance for the calendar Golden Slam hence my continued bitterness toward Tsonga.

Clearly the only reason I can possibly have for not enjoying Tsonga is that he beat Nadal in Australia. Usually I like all the big serving, HIT IT players.

Anyway, and I can say this sincerely, good luck in the next round Tommy. Regardless of opponent I hope you win :bounce:

serginho
09-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Many people of MTF are so repulsive :tape:
anyway good job tommy ;)

tangerine_dream
09-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Yet another reason for MTFers to hate on Robredo.

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Many people of MTF are so repulsive :tape:
anyway good job tommy ;)

Repulsive is being either

a) Boredo or
b) Boredo's fan.

Herdwick
09-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Thank you Tommy. Unexpected but delightful result. Well played.

finishingmove
09-01-2008, 02:02 AM
well this isnt exactly a shock...

too bad for tsonga though

connectolove
09-01-2008, 02:19 AM
This is great news!!!! they stopped showing the match and I now learn that Tommy won, CONGRATS ROBREDO!!!!

Blue Heart24
09-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Jo :mad::o

The Freak
09-01-2008, 04:04 AM

:o

Tommy may not be the most exhilarating player to watch, but it takes a hell of a player to win like he does. The goal is to win.

jcempire
09-01-2008, 04:06 AM
Tsonga is done for this year

Turquoise
09-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Sorry that Tsonga's run has come to an end, but he's done a great job getting this far. Wishing him full recuperation and good preparation for forthcoming tournaments.

Congratulations Robredo for a solid win. He won this fair and square, so he deserves due credit.

JolánGagó
09-01-2008, 07:40 AM
Expected and very deserved win for Robredo, hopefully he'll crush his next opponent too.

Sommarsverige
09-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Big, big congrats to Tommy :yeah: :bounce:

He played a very good and solid match :)

rrfnpump
09-01-2008, 08:16 AM
excellent win, Tommy :bounce:

CooCooCachoo
09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
What I saw from Tsonga was bad :yawn:

But solid stuff from Tommy :woohoo:

Foxy
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
It is always nice to watch Tsonga lose.

Julio
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM
It is always nice to watch Tsonga lose.

:confused:

Forehander
09-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Wtf... Honestly I hate Robredo's game so much. He's the friggin most boring player on tour (possibly even as a tennis player) I've ever seen on court. Like seriously... EVER SEEN. No personality and plays like a panicking mug. I rather watch two random old lady play than watch his retarded tennis. Look forward for him to be smashed off the court next round.

Bilbo
09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
expected one

Bilbo
09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Each time I watch Robredo I think he's the one who studied at Harvard not Blake. He's playing smart tennis. Good to watch. Hardly surprising he beat a brainless ballbasher like Jo.

Beat
09-01-2008, 10:12 AM
what a disappointing performance from JWT.

dodoboy
09-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I have seen girls on the ITF with better backhands than Tsonga :o

Thank God Robredo didn't stop hitting there, totally the right thing to do plus it set up his forehands quite nicely.

Good win for Tommy played really well.

Tsonga :o

Scotso
09-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice win for Tommy.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 11:04 AM
this result eats sperm...

scoobs
09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Don't be so crass :o

This result is a cautionary tale - when high risk tennis goes wrong. Robredo may be boring but he plays the percentages and it sees him through.

Still a good comeback event for Tsonga.

Damn
09-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Tsonga, expected stuff. The king of the overrated tennis players.

Nice one, Tommy :yeah: That's what I call a beatdown.

JolánGagó
09-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Tsonga...The king of the overrated tennis players.

Truer words were never spoken. What has this guy done besides winning Nadal once?

Jaap
09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Truer words were never spoken. What has this guy done besides winning Nadal once?

Stop speaking to yourself.

groundstroke
09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Boredo just breezing by, very underrated player IMO.

Damn
09-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Boredo just breezing by, very underrated player IMO.

So true, especially in MTF.

groundstroke
09-01-2008, 12:23 PM
So true, especially in MTF.
Indeed so, if you don't hit a jaw-dropping winner or if your second serve is attackable that means you're a complete mug, I'm not a big fan of Robredo's tennis style but he plays smart % tennis, unlike ball bashing Jo.

FairWeatherFan
09-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I said previously that 3r would be an excellent result for Tsonga here and that remains true. This was his first tournament back from injury and those who dismiss him as 'overrated' or a 'mug' due to this loss are unduly harsh.

Robredo does not have the most exciting game in the world but I enjoy his pretty one-handed backhand. Good luck to him and his intelligent, percentage tennis.

Chloe le Bopper
09-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Indeed so, if you don't hit a jaw-dropping winner or if your second serve is attackable that means you're a complete mug, I'm not a big fan of Robredo's tennis style but he plays smart % tennis, unlike ball bashing Jo.

Agreed. Robredo is effective, without being flashy. As you've noted yourself, one doesn't need to enjoy that style of play to respect those who have success employing it.

HeretiC
09-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Not a big surprise here, Robredo is too smart to lose from a ball-basher who spews errors on every side. There was no way he would have not built on that.

BlakeJamitis
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Good run Tsonga ... just didn't have it today. More errors in this match than 1st 2 combined.

Congrats Robredo.

Raquel
09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Well done Tommy :D :woohoo:

I'm not sure why some people find this such a surprising result. Even after his Australian Open run Tsonga lost to Ancic, Benneteau etc. and that was when he was fully fit (or in a better place than where he is right now at least).

I sometimes wonder if Tsonga gets too focused on being an entertainer and loses his concentration of the actual tennis and tactics. I think he saved a break point to get to deuce at 5-5 in the first set and he was running about alongside the crowd and whipping them up. I thought that was a bit early and a bit of an unimportant point to be going that crazy over it. I wonder if going for all these flashy winners is for the crowd more than anything. Mark Petchey said a couple of times something like "This guy is Hollywood" and great for the game. Fair enough but Hollywood's on a plane home and anti-Hollywood is still in the draw. I don't know if Tsonga can change much though. That's just his personality and game - so it should then come as no shock Tommy won.