USO R3: SERIOUSLY? Fish fries [9] Blake 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R3: SERIOUSLY? Fish fries [9] Blake 6-3, 6-3, 7-6(4)

MIMIC
08-31-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh Blake. :rolleyes:

Mardy was on fire but still...Blake. C'mon man :lol:

LinkMage
What a pathetic performance from Blake.
Nice choke by Fish while serving for the match at 5-4.

The top half of the draw has become a joke. Thank God Murray and Wawrinka came back to win today.

finishingmove
dont tell me ur surprised

selyoink
08-31-2008, 03:56 AM
Great play from Blake. It is great to see Blake out of the top 10 and hopefully for good this time. What a mug in slams he is.

Unfortunately it means that Fish the mug is still around. Hopefully Monfils will cook him.

ChinoRios4Ever
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

pescado you fucking legend :banana: :worship: :smoke:

LinkMage
Top 10 players that have been sucking this year:
Fedmug
Ferrer
Davydenko
Nalbandian
Roddick
Blake

That is 60%. Plus Wawrinka who has always sucked it's 70%.

So only Nadull, Djokovic and Murray are good this year. Just shows you how pathetic this era is.

Deboogle!.
Mardy!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

selyoink
Fedmug
Ferrer
Davydenko
Nalbandian
Roddick
Blake

So only Nadull, Djokovic and Murray are good this year. Just shows you how pathetic this era is.

Fantastic post.

Voo de Mar
08-31-2008, 03:57 AM
Fish -> :wavey: Welcome to American school of ball-bashing & choking :wavey: <- Blake

~Maya~
Fish is hot again
Congratulations :yeah:

DragonFly
Retire Blake you gutless, spineless little gimp.

ReturnWinner
Nadull avoids Karlovic,Nalbandian and Blake.

This made my day.

leng jai
08-31-2008, 03:58 AM
Wow most of the older players have really sucked ass at this year's US Open.

eck
Even Blake's fangirls had more energy than the Fake :o

HoistDaColors
good serving kswiss man.

james, again, no plan b when he's down. c'mon you went to harvard.

Ilovetheblues_86
Hey ya know? Mistah fish is the new hottie pursuit around here! Ya mighty mighty Fish!:worship:

The Freak
Damn good stuff from Mardy tonight.
I think Gael is a bad matchup for him though.

selyoink
08-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Fish is hot again
Congratulations :yeah:

More like he has played three mugs. Mathieu one of the greatest chokers of all time and Blake one of the worst slam players of all time are hardly quality wins.

Rumour
08-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Probably the first and last time I prefer Fish to beat his opponent - not that I was actually cheering him on, just hoping more that he would dispatch Blake and silence the J-Block :wavey:

~*BGT*~
08-31-2008, 04:01 AM
:eek: I thought once James broke at 5-4 in the 3rd he might carry the momentum and go all the way and win it in 5, but this is kinda shocking. I guess this was Mardy's early wedding gift. :lol:

BTW, Mardy's fiancee's face looks plastic. :help:

Junkyard Racket
Bow down to the ankle socks. :worship:

leng jai
More like he has played three mugs. Mathieu one of the greatest chokers of all time and Blake one of the worst slam players of all time are hardly quality wins.

Gross exaggeration on Blake's GS performances.

Grinder
Great win for Mardy, if I could pick anyone for James to lose to it would be him. :yeah:

Pathetic from James though. :help:

*Viva Chile*
Good one El Pescado :yeah:

Nice to see the crybaby and his annoying fanbase go home :bigwave:

BlakeJamitis
08-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Blake was pathetic ... as usual in slams. His lone highlight was the '05 win over Nadal.

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 04:05 AM
the fishmeister... the big F... fishy...

had to close my eyes at times during this violation...

Ilovetheblues_86
08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
This Fish is good.

~*BGT*~
08-31-2008, 04:06 AM
At the end, was James complaining about the J-Block?

tangerine_dream
08-31-2008, 04:08 AM
James' attitude was horrendous tonight, at no point did it look like he cared that he was losing, and losing badly. Not even the J-Block could lift him out of the dumps.

Great playing from Mardy. :bigclap: I really hope he can serve and play as well vs Monfils as he did tonight.

martinatreue
oh grow up! Blake was not pathetic at all. He got OUTPLAYED!!! Mardy's serve was COOKIN and his RETURN was very good, his net was working and even his forehand was acceptable. He even played some good defense. Blake does not know how to serve, has very predictable second serves and cannot change direction of the ball during rallies or come to the net or return with consistency. If he cannot get you into a rally and employ his run fast and hit the ball hard style of play then he has NO CHANCE. He is a faster version of SHARAPOVA but with less control on his groundstrokes than Maria.

BlakeJamitis
james, again, no plan b when he's down. c'mon you went to harvard.

So so true ... but I don't think his coach even got a GED. I've finally come to the realization that Blake is satisfied with his achievements - top 10, a couple of finals at master events and a few wins in smaller events. That's why my attention has switched to the other players. Blake is so weak mentally.

martinatreue
08-31-2008, 04:09 AM
So so true ... but I don't think his coach even got a GED. I've finally come to the realization that Blake is satisfied with his achievements - top 10, a couple of finals at master events and a few wins in smaller events. That's why my attention has switched to the other players. Blake is so weak mentally.

why were you so into James in the first place? :confused::confused:

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:10 AM

The top half of the draw has become a joke. Thank God Murray and Wawrinka came back to win today.

Strategic Tank for Blake. He is going to be ready for Nadal on Clay in a few of weeks.

SheepleBuster
Fedmug
Ferrer
Davydenko
Nalbandian
Roddick
Blake

No. Murray has sucked too. Except his masters win he has underperformed

selyoink
Gross exaggeration on Blake's GS performances.

No slam semi-finals and he has spent a lot of time in the top 10. How is it an exaggeration?

selyoink
08-31-2008, 04:11 AM
why were you so into James in the first place? :confused::confused:

Excellent question. Nothing to like about Blake.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:12 AM

I don't care how hot fish is. His train stops with Monfils. Now Monfils is one who ain't going to choke.

leng jai
08-31-2008, 04:13 AM
No slam semi-finals and he has spent a lot of time in the top 10. How is it an exaggeration?

Well you said the worst of all time. Clearly not. Ljuba Truba is worse...

oranges
08-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Well you said the worst of all time. Clearly not. Ljuba Truba is worse...

Ljubo has a GS SF ;)

selyoink
08-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Ljubo has a GS SF ;)

Yes. Ljubo's semi-final puts him ahead of Blake even if he beat 5 total mugs to get there.

knight_ley
08-31-2008, 04:16 AM
James tanned it tonight. :banghead:

But Mardy played so well and deserves it. :yeah: Hopefully he keeps this up vs Monfils. :)

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:17 AM
Blake doesn't deserve to be in top 10. Gulbis has easily beat him twice! How about Scheutler at Wimbledon? Blake's year gone from potentially good to a disaster. No medal, no Grand Slam quarters or semi, no end of year Masters Cup, and no Davis Cup. Now that's poor. Blake is just not into tennis like others are. He gets surprised when Gonzo doesn't give him the point but people are out there to win man not clap for their opponents.

ServeAlready81
08-31-2008, 04:17 AM
I think the official changing of the guard has started. Although Mardy himself is a veteran look at who is still left in the draw. A huge percentage born after 1985 :scared: Makes me feel old lol.

MyPrecious
08-31-2008, 04:19 AM
James :sad:

Wow, how strange. James had the "lights are on, but nobody's home" look about him, for most of the match.

That said, I'm glad he's gone, if only becuase the J-Block are a bunch of insufferable, pathetic people, and if James is gone, so are they :D

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Unfortunately it means that Fish the mug is still around. Hopefully Monfils will cook him.

no doubt.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:21 AM
I think the official changing of the guard has started. Although Mardy himself is a veteran look at who is still left in the draw. A huge percentage born after 1985 :scared: Makes me feel old lol.

I think a year from now the top 10 will look very different. Ferrer is already close to being out and Davydenko, blake and Wawrinka can join him. Murray will be probably going for Fed's No. 3 position at the start of next year. But Blake's loss tonight had nothing to the change of the guards. Blake barely won against Donald freaking Young! Last year he almost lost to Santoro, so he matched his last year's result here.

leng jai
08-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Ljubo has a GS SF ;)

Yeah, but not much else. Also, the draw was laughably easy. Whats his win/loss ratio at slams?

Fensler
08-31-2008, 04:27 AM
Yeah, but not much else. Also, the draw was laughably easy. Whats his win/loss ratio at slams?

Ljubičić: 32-33
Blake: 45-25

leng jai
08-31-2008, 04:28 AM
Ljubičić: 32-33
Blake: 45-25

I rest my case. Ljuba Truba top 3 :worship:

martinatreue
08-31-2008, 04:29 AM
Yes, the best part of the match was when the chair umpire called out the J Block and shut them DOWN!!! Seriously though I was really happy with some of the defending that mardy did and the extra topspin he had on his forehand and his use of two lobs in the same point to break James. He had some very nice volleys and return and even used some great little low slices on the run to make James miss. He really used his strengths in his serve and backhand and net play to great effect but what also was important was how he covered up his weaknesses by playing some crafty defense and touch to squeak out some important points. That is usually the key in crucial situations like tiebreaks or on break points.

~Maya~
08-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Wow, so much negativity from Americans about Blake under performing. Maybe a little bit of support for your own player would help, huh?

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Ljubicic made the semi. I don't really care about the win or loss ratio. What if his ratio was 7/100 which is what Thomas Johansson should be about. The guy has a slam. Does it matter that he sucks or he sucks at majors? For someone who has been top 4 once, Blake is an underachiever. I think you shouldn't get to top 4 without reaching the semis of at least one slam. This whole ranking system needs work man. I mean how can someone be No. 4 in the world and fail to go past the quarters (top 8) all the time?

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Wow, so much negativity from Americans about Blake under performing. Maybe a little bit of support for your own player would help, huh?

I don't watch tennis to be a patriot or anything. I spend my time watching to see guys compete and Blake didn't do that tonight. He wasted 2 hours of my time. Don't care if he is American or from Fiji

~Maya~
08-31-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't watch tennis to be a patriot or anything. I spend my time watching to see guys compete and Blake didn't do that tonight. He wasted 2 hours of my time. Don't care if he is American or from Fiji

His overall results reflect his ranking. Look at other top ten besides top 3 of course

oranges
08-31-2008, 04:40 AM

Not impressive, LOL, one AO QF worth mentioning, but Blake is not that much better. It's ironic that he reached RG semi of all slams. In his defense, he did play practically all claycourters all the way. He could have gone out unceremoniously as Roddick in that quarter :D

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 04:42 AM
Wow, so much negativity from Americans about Blake under performing. Maybe a little bit of support for your own player would help, huh?Well then there are those of us who don't really give a damn about Blake and are just thrilled that for once Mardy played a good match in a situation like that. Mental strength is probably his biggest weakness and he stared down that demon tonight and I couldn't be more thrilled for him. People here get so damn caught up in putting people's achievements and talents down. Blake's been in the top 10 of the whole entire world for around two years and people can never seem to say anything nice to say about anything, only negativity and easy draws and luck and mugness here. Never anything positive, it's not even worth asking for it unfortunately.

selyoink
08-31-2008, 04:43 AM
I rest my case. Ljuba Truba top 3 :worship:

For me the slam semi makes the ratio irrelevant. Both are atrocious slam players though. We can all agree on that point.

~Maya~
08-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Well then there are those of us who don't really give a damn about Blake and are just thrilled that for once Mardy played a good match in a situation like that. Mental strength is probably his biggest weakness and he stared down that demon tonight and I couldn't be more thrilled for him. People here get so damn caught up in putting people's achievements and talents down. Blake's been in the top 10 of the whole entire world for around two years and people can never seem to say anything nice to say about anything, only negativity and easy draws and luck and mugness here. Never anything positive, it's not even worth asking for it unfortunately.

It is alright to be trilled about Mardy, I am too. To much negativity towards Blake. I don't think he deserves it

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 04:49 AM
It is alright to be trilled about Mardy, I am too. To much negativity towards Blake. I don't think he deserves itOf course he doesn't, I mean I have my issues with him and have reasons why he's not among my favorite players, but I still respect what he does. But respect is a difficult concept for a lot of people here so what can ya do

SHB
08-31-2008, 04:50 AM

The Blake haters on this board are not at all representative of the average American tennis fan. If you've watched Blake's matches at the U.S. Open, you know how much he's adored. For whatever reason, this board seems to have attracted a number of spiteful people who enjoy bashing certain players (Blake being one of the most popular targets, but hardly the only one). I guess you just have to chaulk it up to the nature of the internet. It's the angry, bitter voices that are heard the loudest.

The suggestion that Blake didn't care tonight is absurd on its face. Yeah, I'm sure he didn't care about winning a third round match at his favorite tournament (and best Grand Slam) in front of some of his biggest fans at a time when his window of opportunity is beginning to close. He certainly was off and appeared out of sorts (perhaps because he was playing one of his best friends), but that hardly means that he didn't care. And I don't underatand why some can't recognize and acknowledge when an opponent plays very well. Fish was on tonight, and when he's on, he's tough.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Well then there are those of us who don't really give a damn about Blake and are just thrilled that for once Mardy played a good match in a situation like that. Mental strength is probably his biggest weakness and he stared down that demon tonight and I couldn't be more thrilled for him. People here get so damn caught up in putting people's achievements and talents down. Blake's been in the top 10 of the whole entire world for around two years and people can never seem to say anything nice to say about anything, only negativity and easy draws and luck and mugness here. Never anything positive, it's not even worth asking for it unfortunately.

Not true. Blake has achieved nothing positive. What has he achieved? Has choked numerous times in Davis Cup. Lost to a one-legged Agassi in a slam with him up 2 sets to love. Lost to Gonzo at Olympics after the biggest win of his career. Blake is a great human being. No doubt about that. He is also very good with girls. Very good for him. But you can't tell me he has not lowered the overall level of top 10 with his pathetic results. Him and guys like Nalbandian, Gasquet, Wawrinka and .. who have been top 10.

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Not true. Blake has achieved nothing positive. What has he achieved? Has choked numerous times in Davis Cup. Lost to a one-legged Agassi in a slam with him up 2 sets to love. Lost to Gonzo at Olympics after the biggest win of his career. Blake is a great human being. No doubt about that. He is also very good with girls. Very good for him. But you can't tell me he has not lowered the overall level of top 10 with his pathetic results. Him and guys like Nalbandian, Gasquet, Wawrinka and .. who have been top 10.Frankly, I don't judge people who do stuff I can't. he's frigging top 10 in the world. Out of 6+ billion people, he is among the ten best people who do his sport. Honestly, I just can't judge that. Not everyone accomplisheds what Rafa and Roger and Sampras and agassi and whoever else accomplish. Maybe he could change his game, change his coach, be mentally stronger, whatever. So could most of these guys, but it doesn't make them failures just because some people on the internet who have nothing to do but spew negativity at people they don't know all day every day think so. And to continually and monotonously demean and diminish what he does so viciously says a lot more about you and the others that do it than it says about James or any other player that gets so much stick on this board.

SHB
08-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Not true. Blake has achieved nothing positive. What has he achieved? Has choked numerous times in Davis Cup. Lost to a one-legged Agassi in a slam with him up 2 sets to love. Lost to Gonzo at Olympics after the biggest win of his career. Blake is a great human being. No doubt about that. He is also very good with girls. Very good for him. But you can't tell me he has not lowered the overall level of top 10 with his pathetic results. Him and guys like Nalbandian, Gasquet, Wawrinka and .. who have been top 10.

He hasn't achieved anything? Wow . . . just, wow.

Those who are in the top 10 deserve to be in the top 10. It's that simple. They weren't handed their ranking; they earned it. Blake has been ranked in the top 10 because he's been better than everyone else below him. If he had suddenly retired, it would have lowered the overall level of the top 10. The same goes for those other guys.

It's a different argument to say that this era is weaker than others.

aussie_fan
08-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Blake you mug, when will you ever make a big run at a grand slam. Should of known you would of lost today.

SHB
08-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Frankly, I don't judge people who do stuff I can't. he's frigging top 10 in the world. Out of 6+ billion people, he is among the ten best people who do his sport. Honestly, I just can't judge that. Not everyone accomplisheds what Rafa and Roger and Sampras and agassi and whoever else accomplish. Maybe he could change his game, change his coach, be mentally stronger, whatever. So could most of these guys, but it doesn't make them failures just because some people on the internet who have nothing to do but spew negativity at people they don't know all day every day think so. And to continually and monotonously demean and diminish what he does so viciously says a lot more about you and the others that do it than it says about James or any other player that gets so much stick on this board.

I could not agree more. Every time I come back here to read about a match, I'm reminded of why I've avoided this board in the past. To say that many of the comments border on spiteful and irrational would be an understatement. The internet brings out the absolute worst in some people.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 05:05 AM
He hasn't achieved anything? Wow . . . just, wow.

Those who are in the top 10 deserve to be in the top 10. It's that simple. They weren't handed their ranking; they earned it. Blake has been ranked in the top 10 because he's been better than everyone else below him. If he had suddenly retired, it would have lowered the overall level of the top 10. The same goes for those other guys.

It's a different argument to say that this era is weaker than others. It's simply not true. How can Blake be better than guys like Tsonga or Monfils when these guys reach the final and semis of grandslam while all Blake does is reach the semis of smaller tournaments. The ranking system is very flawed. Blake has achieved zero this year, if you count winning tournaments as achievements. But if you wanna give him moral victories like the one against Federer go ahead. He is a top 3 as far as being the nicest guy on the tour but definitely not a top 10 level tennis player

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 05:09 AM
I could not agree more. Every time I come back here to read about a match, I'm reminded of why I've avoided this board in the past. To say that many of the comments border on spiteful and irrational would be an understatement. The internet brings out the absolute worst in some people.

I don't know about you but If I told you that the theaters have a very bad movie on and you can go watch it for free, would you? Now this match was on Cable, which we pay for, and you waste 2 hours of our time that we don't get back not showing up? Blake should be ashamed of himself. If he lost this in 4 or 5 sets or it was any close, I would say he tried. He didn't even care to try like the game he gave away to fish after the umpire talked to J-Block. You can't tell me your time is worthless. But it definitely was a waste of time tonight (but not a total loss thanks to Del Potro and Kei putting on good shows).

~Maya~
08-31-2008, 05:11 AM
It's simply not true. How can Blake be better than guys like Tsonga or Monfils when these guys reach the final and semis of grandslam while all Blake does is reach the semis of smaller tournaments. The ranking system is very flawed. Blake has achieved zero this year, if you count winning tournaments as achievements. But if you wanna give him moral victories like the one against Federer go ahead. He is a top 3 as far as being the nicest guy on the tour but definitely not a top 10 level tennis player

What kind of logic is this? A player makes one finals or SF and we should put him in top ten? And how long do you think we keep him there?

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 05:12 AM
I could not agree more. Every time I come back here to read about a match, I'm reminded of why I've avoided this board in the past. To say that many of the comments border on spiteful and irrational would be an understatement. The internet brings out the absolute worst in some people.indeed so.

It's simply not true. How can Blake be better than guys like Tsonga or Monfils when these guys reach the final and semis of grandslam while all Blake does is reach the semis of smaller tournaments. The ranking system is very flawed. Blake has achieved zero this year, if you count winning tournaments as achievements. But if you wanna give him moral victories like the one against Federer go ahead. He is a top 3 as far as being the nicest guy on the tour but definitely not a top 10 level tennis playerYour logic is so flawed it's hard to decide where to start. Let's see. Tsonga has been hurt. When you're hurt and miss MOST OF THE YEAR, your ranking will be lower. Monfils also had some injuries. Maybe they are not as fit, maybe they do not work as hard, maybe they just get unlucky, but it is not James's fault his competitors can't stay healthy like he can. Doesn't he - and others - deserve credit simply for working hard enough and being fit enough to play a full season healthy? He's had his share of really horrific luck, he took his lumps and paid his dues. To just say "oh but other people are more talented therefore he doesn't deserve to be in the top 10" is a joke - you are ignoring so many factors like consistency, injury, and much more. If he's "definitely not a top 10 level tennis player," blame the guys who you deem to be better than he is for not posting the results that would get them the points to get into the top 10. That's not Blake's fault. Credit to him and others for taking advantage of the obvious ineptitude of these people who are allegedly so very talented. If they were so amazingly awesome as you suggest, then surely they'd be fantastic enough to win enough to get the points required to enter the top ten. Til they do, they don't deserve to be there.

SHB
08-31-2008, 05:22 AM
I don't know about you but If I told you that the theaters have a very bad movie on and you can go watch it for free, would you? Now this match was on Cable, which we pay for, and you waste 2 hours of our time that we don't get back not showing up? Blake should be ashamed of himself. If he lost this in 4 or 5 sets or it was any close, I would say he tried. He didn't even care to try like the game he gave away to fish after the umpire talked to J-Block. You can't tell me your time is worthless. But it definitely was a waste of time tonight (but not a total loss thanks to Del Potro and Kei putting on good shows).

Did Blake send someone over to your home who put a gun to your head and forced you to watch the match? If not, you have no complaint. I'm sure you have a remote - use it. Alternatively, you could turn the TV off and do something else. If it was a waste of time, you have no one to blame but yourself. When you watch a sporting event, there's always a risk that it will be a lopsided contest. If you don't want to to take that risk, don't watch sports (or change the channel when you realize that it's boring you like most people do).

Do you expect a refund from the TV networks or your cable company if you decide to spend two hours watching something that bores you?

Also, a poor performance does not equate to poor effort. Two differnet things. Poor effort can cause poor performance, but it's not necessarily the cause. In this case, the opponent had a little something to do with it.

krystlel
08-31-2008, 05:29 AM
Fish played a very good match today, great serving, returning and attacking game. His winners count ended up being significantly higher than Blake's. :eek: Because Fish kept the points short, that didn't allow Blake to use his athleticism as much and he found it difficult getting into the match, although to be fair it was just not a good performance from him. He needed to make Fish play more when he was getting tight. For me, I was pleased that Fish was able to finish off the match because he was by far the better player and it would have been a huge disappointment for him (but also because I didn't want to watch an extra two sets).

SHB
08-31-2008, 05:44 AM
It's simply not true. How can Blake be better than guys like Tsonga or Monfils when these guys reach the final and semis of grandslam while all Blake does is reach the semis of smaller tournaments. The ranking system is very flawed. Blake has achieved zero this year, if you count winning tournaments as achievements. But if you wanna give him moral victories like the one against Federer go ahead. He is a top 3 as far as being the nicest guy on the tour but definitely not a top 10 level tennis player

The quality of a player is not solely determined by his best Grand Slam result; it's determined by his body of work. Blake is 7th in the 2008 ATP race. Are the rankings flawed? You could debate whether the current system is optimal, but I don't think your way of evaluating players is the way to go. Blake is clearly deseving of a high ranking, and any reasonable ranking system would have him ranked accordingly.

Blake has achieved zero this year by your definition, but I think your definition is a bad one. Secondly, even by your definition he's achieved much in the time that he's been in the top 10, the time period I thought you were referring to with your previous post.

BTW, Blake reached the QF of the Aussie Open. I don't know how can you be so adamant about Monfils being the better player this year because he went one round deeper at the French. Is one's best Grand Slam result in a year all that counts? Blake, of course, reached the SF at the Olympics, which had a Grand Slam caliber field.

sheeter
08-31-2008, 05:49 AM
I must say I'm enjoying these power slug fests. There were some really good rallies and from what I saw, both players were playing well.Imagine if Fish could get his head together.

Tommy_Vercetti
08-31-2008, 05:52 AM
J-Block still around. I wonder why no other players have a bunch of jerk-off fans they know personally to come and act ridiculous. I guess they just have some class. I wonder if Blake is still denying that he can do anything about them.

Or Levy
08-31-2008, 06:33 AM
We've seen Mardy playing like this once before this year, I somehow had a feeling it might happen again today.

He played first strike tennis, served great, and never went away.

Mechlan
08-31-2008, 06:51 AM
James just didn't have it today. Didn't watch all of it, but it certainly looked like he was trying to fight but couldn't get it going. If he had pulled out that third set breaker, it might have sparked some better energy in him. Credit to Fish though, some incredible stuff by him especially near the end of the third set.

belco
08-31-2008, 08:08 AM
this match is now up for download @ t3nnis.tv :angel:

Rumour
08-31-2008, 09:00 AM
While I'm not a Blake fan (as my earlier post in this thread indicates), to say that he doesn't 'deserve' to be in the top ten is just ridiculous :rolleyes: In fact, I detest that argument every time I see it come up on this board - usually about unpopular players, naturally, like Robredo. Like him or not, the American wasn't gifted a top ranking: he earned it with his tournament results over the course of a year or so.

Other players I like more than Blake haven't managed to accumulate a similar or higher amount of points during the same time, so they're not in the ATP single digits... yet. When they meet or exceed the same objective criteria of measuring performance is when they'll deserve to be in the top ten, not because biased fans like me think they are good enough to make it and should be there already.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sure someone out there will argue about the tour ranking system itself being unfair, like the poster a couple of months back (whose name I remember but won't mention unless he/she chooses to join the debate) who whined at length about Federer still being No. 1 even though his recent results didn't merit it. We all know what has happened since then and, funnily enough, I haven't seen that person complain about how the ATP ranks players since then...

Tom Paulman
08-31-2008, 09:27 AM

Unfortunately the fact that Fish-Monfils are facing each other in R4 means that there will be at least one mug in QF

JMG
08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Blake proved again that he can't slice and has no touch. He played too American in the decisive moments, instead of using his brain.

HeretiC
08-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Seriously? I am not that surprised at all. :shrug:

spriwi
08-31-2008, 11:05 AM

come on, mardy was playing some fantastic shots in this match and served really well... you have to give some credit to him

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:07 PM
indeed so.

Your logic is so flawed it's hard to decide where to start. Let's see. Tsonga has been hurt. When you're hurt and miss MOST OF THE YEAR, your ranking will be lower. Monfils also had some injuries. Maybe they are not as fit, maybe they do not work as hard, maybe they just get unlucky, but it is not James's fault his competitors can't stay healthy like he can. Doesn't he - and others - deserve credit simply for working hard enough and being fit enough to play a full season healthy? He's had his share of really horrific luck, he took his lumps and paid his dues. To just say "oh but other people are more talented therefore he doesn't deserve to be in the top 10" is a joke - you are ignoring so many factors like consistency, injury, and much more. If he's "definitely not a top 10 level tennis player," blame the guys who you deem to be better than he is for not posting the results that would get them the points to get into the top 10. That's not Blake's fault. Credit to him and others for taking advantage of the obvious ineptitude of these people who are allegedly so very talented. If they were so amazingly awesome as you suggest, then surely they'd be fantastic enough to win enough to get the points required to enter the top ten. Til they do, they don't deserve to be there.

Well. He was a top 10 a couple of years ago, but this year he definitely is not. There are just so many players who are better than him. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like how the ranking is more about consistency and less about who is actually better. We see it at WTA with Jankovic being No. 1 without winning a slam or reaching a final. Is she the best? No. Is she the most consistent? Maybe. But why is consistency superior to level of play. IMO ranking should become the last 6 months instead of last year's result. 6 months is long enough to determine who is consistent and hot at the same time.

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Did Blake send someone over to your home who put a gun to your head and forced you to watch the match? If not, you have no complaint. I'm sure you have a remote - use it. Alternatively, you could turn the TV off and do something else. If it was a waste of time, you have no one to blame but yourself. When you watch a sporting event, there's always a risk that it will be a lopsided contest. If you don't want to to take that risk, don't watch sports (or change the channel when you realize that it's boring you like most people do).

Do you expect a refund from the TV networks or your cable company if you decide to spend two hours watching something that bores you?

Also, a poor performance does not equate to poor effort. Two differnet things. Poor effort can cause poor performance, but it's not necessarily the cause. In this case, the opponent had a little something to do with it.

It was just an example. What I am saying is, Blake needs to put a little bit more effort in. His body language was disgusting last night. You don't just play for yourself at that level when you are paid a fortune to play and you are supported by so many people. I am not saying that Blake should have won regardless of what Fish did. That's not how tennis works, but Blake looked like he didn't want to be on the court after the first set.

vamosnadal
08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
First of all, congratulations to Fish. He played well and it was a big win for him. There is no disgrace in losing to someone who is playing better than you on the day, but I was very disappointed in Blake. He seemed to bring absolutely no intensity to the match in the first two sets (I didn't see the third) and seemed almost complacent to me at the start. Very strange performance probably due to Fish being such a good friend, but that's no excuse really.

What happened with the J-Block? Why did they get a warning? Was it the usual case of shouting insults to Blake's opponents and making noise when the opponent is serving etc?

Sunset of Age
08-31-2008, 12:54 PM
We've seen Mardy playing like this once before this year, I somehow had a feeling it might happen again today.

He played first strike tennis, served great, and never went away.

come on, mardy was playing some fantastic shots in this match and served really well... you have to give some credit to him

:yeah: - credit where credit is due, folks.

Edit: Oh, and I'm sure someone out there will argue about the tour ranking system itself being unfair, like the poster a couple of months back (whose name I remember but won't mention unless he/she chooses to join the debate) who whined at length about Federer still being No. 1 even though his recent results didn't merit it. We all know what has happened since then and, funnily enough, I haven't seen that person complain about how the ATP ranks players since then...

;) - It all comes down to this: the ranking points don't lie. Wherever a player manages to pick them up is not important. It's the hard work in so called MM-tournaments that did the work for some players, it's reaching two finals and one semi in a GS that did the trick for one other.
Nothing unfair about it at all.

cobalt60
08-31-2008, 12:59 PM
While I'm not a Blake fan (as my earlier post in this thread indicates), to say that he doesn't 'deserve' to be in the top ten is just ridiculous :rolleyes: In fact, I detest that argument every time I see it come up on this board - usually about unpopular players, naturally, like Robredo. Like him or not, the American wasn't gifted a top ranking: he earned it with his tournament results over the course of a year or so.

Other players I like more than Blake haven't managed to accumulate a similar or higher amount of points during the same time, so they're not in the ATP single digits... yet. When they meet or exceed the same objective criteria of measuring performance is when they'll deserve to be in the top ten, not because biased fans like me think they are good enough to make it and should be there already.

Excellent post :yeah:

I quit watching after Blake was broken in the second set. Mardy was serving so well and James' timing was so off that the outcome seemed inevitable to me and not worth losing sleep over;)

Roddickominator
08-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Fish gets some flack sometimes for his lack of mental toughness....but when he's on a hard court and is playing well, he's Top 15-20 in the world. With that said, Blake is maybe even Top 5 on a hardcourt when playing well, so this was an upset. I hope Marty smacks Monfils around tomorrow.

Beat
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
oh dear. i mean: oh deeeeeeeeeear .... :tape:

dorkgirl
08-31-2008, 02:10 PM
In 10, 20, 30 years will anyone care who was number 5 or number 11 in the rankings? No, they care and remember who won the Slams and the Masters. Hell, Carlos Moya made it to number 1! JC Ferrero made it to number 1. Rankings are not all they're cracked up to be.

Blake is, for all intents and purposes, marginally more than a journeyman. Nothing special. He hasn't got the game, and he hasn't got the head for ultimate success. If he's ok with that, then fair enough to him. There's lots of players out there who would kill for the 'success' and financial security that Blake's got through tennis. But let's not pretend he's a great or even a 'could be great'.

jcempire
08-31-2008, 02:23 PM

"The top half of the draw has become a joke" how you know they are joke

you better change your words, who knows what's going to happen.

selyoink
08-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Fish won because Blake played like crap. Everytime I've ever seen Fish play I wonder how he has ever won a single match. That holds true for last night.

jcempire
08-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Fish won because Blake played like crap. Everytime I've ever seen Fish play I wonder how he has ever won a single match. That holds true for last night.

Fish has never been consistent, If he's not up and down which he would be top 10 today

Neely
08-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Strong performance of Fish. The best I've seen him playing since a very long time. This reminded me of his great hardcourt summer 2003 which reached his peak in the Cincinnati final where he lost to Roddick depite not having lost his serve once the entire tournament.

About Blake, he clearly was not in this match. For whatever reason. Our commentator speculated it seemed because he couldn't handle the situation playing Fish: "Seems like Fish is handling the situation, switching of this intense friendship between them for three hours, much much better. It looks like this is paralyzing Blake." Well, whatever :lol:

Not true. Blake has achieved nothing positive.
I think his terrific comeback to where he is, and to where he was the last years, after his accident as it was unclear whether he could ever play again, let alone if he would suffer lasting demages from it, and many personal blows of fate is a great success story.

If you're talking about the tennis achievements of Federer, Nadal, Sampras, Agassi et al then yes, he has achieved nothing positive. Thanksfully that's not everything for some of us.

nadal800
08-31-2008, 02:58 PM
Congrats to Fish on a well played match last night

Corey Feldman
08-31-2008, 03:51 PM
wow :eek: did not expect to see a result like this

star
08-31-2008, 05:01 PM
I've thought Blake had been off form for most of the year. His defeat doesn't seem a big surprise at all. It was just a matter of time. Fish, arguably, has been playing some of his best tennis this year.

GlennMirnyi
08-31-2008, 10:52 PM
And Nadull's draw becomes even more of a joke than before. :rolleyes:

MadHatter
08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
Blake is still pissed off about Gonzalez cheating at the Olympics.