USO R3: Kei Nishikori def David Ferrer 6-4 6-4 3-6 2-6 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO R3: Kei Nishikori def David Ferrer 6-4 6-4 3-6 2-6 7-5

silverwhite
08-31-2008, 01:51 AM
:woohoo:

I thought he blew it firstly when Ferrer took the third and fourth sets easily and then again when he got broken serving for the match at 5-3 in the fifth, having MP, but blowing it on a FH swing volley put-away set up by a big serve that hit the netcord and allowed Ferrer the time to pass. He surprised me with having the composure to hold for 6-5 and then break. :yeah:

Good luck to him against JMDP. Will be a much tougher test than Ferrer (of 2008).

FiBeR

Amazing result by this japanese youngster!

Nishikori to face Del Potro in R4.. :)

looking good for the Argentine I guess :p

a bit of a choke when serving for the match though..

The Freak
Brilliant win for Kei! :bowdown:

Alonsofz
:woohoo: way to go Kei! :D
a little choke at *5-3 having MP but the result is what matters. :)
Good luck against del Potro!

leng jai
08-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Best result of the tournament so far.

TheBoiledEgg
:woohoo: Kei :banana: :D

Voo de Mar
Amazing Nishikori, what a talent! :worship: (amazing last 2 points)

Pics' first 5-set loss after winning 8 five-setters in a row!

finishingmove
:worship:

Goget
This kid is good

Murraymaniac
08-31-2008, 01:53 AM
That forehand is immense.

scoobs
08-31-2008, 01:53 AM
AMAZING from Kei :worship:

ReturnWinner
08-31-2008, 01:54 AM
great shotmaker the japanese, those last two points :eek:

Albop
Fuck TT

Kei :worship:

Great figth as always Ferru :yeah:

Guigr
The future is now!

Clydey
08-31-2008, 01:55 AM
This kid is so talented. I mean really talented. Not Thomas Berdych, potential top ten talented. I mean talented enough to go all the way.

freeandlonely
:woohoo::yeah:

Ferrer:hug:

Cafisho
Wow, amazing kid. He played huge points against one of the best in the circuit... what a match!

~Maya~
:bigclap:

Ferrer :hug: tough to lose like this in five sets

akosiirwyn
Amazing match! Congrats Kei on being the first ever Japanese player into the round of 16!

MIMIC
He choked at his first match point but I'm glad that he was able to collect himself and win the match eventually.

Nice job :)

finishingmove
totally deserved win , incredible performance by nishikori.

just incredible how he didnt blow that fifth set after ferrer won the previous two.

Murraymaniac
Would love him to win Tokyo.

seljanin
Wow, Kei! Great result! :yeah:

I thought he's missed his chance, when Pics broke back.

Best of luck vs Del Potro! Damn, I really like this young Japanese man's game! The real Japanese prince of tennis :)

anon57
08-31-2008, 01:56 AM
:woohoo:Love how fluent Kei's playing style is. Too bad Ferrer had to lose in third round

Albop
And this is why we love tennis.

Jimnik

GREAT MATCH, GREAT RESULT!!! :bigclap:

Kei, you have totally made my day with that performance. :yeah:

*Viva Chile*
Wow!! :eek:

Congrats Kei :yeah: :worship:

*Raine
08-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Super kakkoi Kei :banana:

Rumour
08-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Pics :awww:

Wich I could have seen more of this match than the last few games so I could get a better sense of Nishikori's game but it seems the accolades have been justified. Congrats to the Japanese youngster for a great win and look forward to seeing more of him in future :hatoff:

lilchibi
08-31-2008, 01:58 AM
only got to see the games from 5-3 because usa decided to show the del potro than the safina match...but man it was awesome.
i love this guy...the way he acted after the win was so adorable and his interview was so cute.
btw...he totally made this tournament worth watching for me again.

HeretiC
08-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Amazing. Looks like we have a new breed. After elegant balletans and ruthless spartans here comes a fury samurai.:worship:

Smoke944
08-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Incredible fight by Ferrer, never any doubt. That being said, I'm rather sure he'll never again have a run like late last year. Seems he really was just playing over his head. Well done to Nishikori, also.

Sunset of Age
What a fantastic victory for Kei! :hatoff: :woohoo:

Too bad that Eurosport didn't show all of this match - still like to torture the tennis fans with WTA matches - but what I did see was very convincing to me that Kei is indeed a great talent. Awesome shotmaking, and those angles... he really sent Pics running to-and-fro all the court's corners. I am usually a bit hesitant to jump on a promising player's bandwagon, but I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of this fellow in the future. :worship: :yeah:

David... :sad: :hug: - great fighting, coming back from two sets to love, but it wasn't enough. Obviously wasn't happy out there on court today - all that grumbling and talking to himself... well, on to the next tournament Pics.

l_mac
:zzz:

Many basic errors.

Tough for Ferrer.

Well done, Kei.

Yappa
Great rally to finish the match. I regret that I didn't record any of it. And too bad that, as usual, we Europeans didn't get to see the interview.

If anyone has access to videos/highlights in japanese, then I'd like to see them. Would be interesting to hear how the japanese commentators freaked out. :)

The Freak
All aboard the Nishikori bandwagon!

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Real life Prince of Tennis. :D

Nishikori Drop Shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735z2kWiUb8

vincayou
08-31-2008, 02:02 AM
This Kei is excellent. The forehand is awesome, and his game is so refreshing. :worship:

Pics was so pissed in the last set it was funny.

scoobs
08-31-2008, 02:02 AM
I've been on since March 2007 when he played dubs with Kuerten in Miami :)

Voo de Mar
08-31-2008, 02:03 AM

:wavey: :drive:

HoistDaColors
08-31-2008, 02:03 AM
wow. that was a great fight in the end. unlike gulbis, kei stayed calm and fought to close the match. this guy is a great talent but also very mature and smart for his age. I only saw whatever USA network feed me. There was a point when Kei hit a near winner and the crowd was already starting to go crazy but Ferrer put the ball back. the following few shots, kei wasn't trying to hit another winner. He regrouped himself and waited for another chance to manifest itself. That kind of composure and patience is very uncommon amongst the youngsters. :worship:

Papakori
08-31-2008, 02:04 AM
Absolutely amazing. :worship:
Kei was obviously exhausted towards the end, but he really fought through it and was just amazing. I can't say any more. :woohoo:

Guigr
08-31-2008, 02:05 AM

2nd Nishikori bandwagon of the year!
People will call him a mug when he'll lose in GS SF in a few years time I guess.

Acer
08-31-2008, 02:06 AM
Thank God for that.

Albop
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/bandwagon/1/bandwagon.jpg

Just come in.

Running:Free
All respect to Ferrer :worship: This guy is a tank.

Kei is having a dream-run. His next match vs. JMDP should be a five-setter too.

freeandlonely
2nd Nishikori bandwagon of the year!
People will call him a mug when he'll lose in GS SF in a few years time I guess.

Maybe, but no need to judge now.:)

Yappa
08-31-2008, 02:08 AM
:spit: I second that. Yomiuri News (読売新聞) already updated their website with the news of the win. :lol:

Link? I googled it, but didn't see any mention of Nishikori's win.

Andi-M
08-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Superb. what a talent. hope he will destroy that mickey mouse pony.

why,marat,why?
08-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I've been on since March 2007 when he played dubs with Kuerten in Miami :)

Haha yeah I have been bangwagoning this kid since I saw him at the Legg Mason last summer. Beat Gabashvilli in straights, I still remember. I saw his name in early last year in a futures draw when he was ranked around 1000 and have been following ever since. Low and behold, my support for a player has FINALLY payed off. (For counter examples, see my avatar/account name).

star
08-31-2008, 02:10 AM
What a great win for Kei!

The Japanese press is gonna go crazy. It's such an exciting time for this kid.

silverwhite
08-31-2008, 02:11 AM
wow. that was a great fight in the end. unlike gulbis, kei stayed calm and fought to close the match. this guy is a great talent but also very mature and smart for his age. I only saw whatever USA network feed me. There was a point when Kei hit a near winner and the crowd was already starting to go crazy but Ferrer put the ball back. the following few shots, kei wasn't trying to hit another winner. He regrouped himself and waited for another chance to manifest itself. That kind of composure and patience is very uncommon amongst the youngsters. :worship:

Agreed. Actually, I was quite surprised with his patience because I've seen him go for too much with his FH in what I've seen of his first two matches. Perhaps he recognised that that was a big point and opted to hit higher percentage shots. :lol:

lurker
08-31-2008, 02:12 AM
This is a great win for Nishikori. Poor Ferrer though, someone had to lose.

Nishikori has amazing mental strength and maturity, that is what won him the match. In the US, if you get Tennis Channel, you were fortunate enough to see this guy burn up the field in DelRay, all the way from qualifying to stunning Blake in the finals. Nishikori never blinked. Each time you think he will miss, he doesn't!

Unfortunately, I think Del Potro will really test him next round. Since both went five sets and both are young, there is no handicap for either. Del Potro is just stronger than Ferrer, and playing much hotter going into the Open. Nishikori probably retrieves as well as Simon did. I hope we get to see this match!

Papakori
08-31-2008, 02:15 AM
Low and behold, my support for a player has FINALLY payed off.
Exact same for me too, I have been supporting him since the Roland Garros juniors 2006 and I think this is the first time someone I have supported since the Juniors has made it big. :eek:

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 02:16 AM

winner of that match beats the crap out of murray, either way...

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 02:18 AM
This is a great win for Nishikori. Poor Ferrer though, someone had to lose.

Nishikori has amazing mental strength and maturity, that is what won him the match. In the US, if you get Tennis Channel, you were fortunate enough to see this guy burn up the field in DelRay, all the way from qualifying to stunning Blake in the finals. Nishikori never blinked. Each time you think he will miss, he doesn't!

Unfortunately, I think Del Potro will really test him next round. Since both went five sets and both are young, there is no handicap for either. Del Potro is just stronger than Ferrer, and playing much hotter going into the Open. Nishikori probably retrieves as well as Simon did. I hope we get to see this match!

the word i think describes him best is 'untainted'

why,marat,why?
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM
Haha yeah Papakori I think I recognize your name from Nishi's forum. I have been snooping around there myself for a while. I bet it is going to EXPLODE with new visitors after tonight.

dylan24
08-31-2008, 02:20 AM
ferrer got really mad after he lost
and thrashed his racquet.
he should have won that point.
he blew it

Grinder
08-31-2008, 02:25 AM
Loss on Gaudio.

Nishikori over Moodie @ 3.55 (5 units)
Kei is one of the most talented youngsters coming up. His favorite surface is clay but he knows how to play on hardcourt. In the final round of qualifying he completely thrashed another serve and volleyer in James Auckland (6-0 6-2), Moodie is coming off a semifinal on grass in Newport but the transition will be tough. The grass in Newport plays nothing like a hardcourt and Moodie will have to be quick to adjust his movement.

;)

Great win for Kei, now beat del Potro. Love the way he plays, but he's still got a lot to improve on.

Papakori
08-31-2008, 02:28 AM
Haha yeah Papakori I think I recognize your name from Nishi's forum. I have been snooping around there myself for a while. I bet it is going to EXPLODE with new visitors after tonight.
I think so too, thankfully one of the fans requested a forum a few months ago which will be useful.

You should come post in it sometime :D :wavey:

Jimnik
08-31-2008, 02:30 AM
;)

Great win for Kei, now beat del Potro. Love the way he plays, but he's still got a lot to improve on.
Impressive actually. A few of our resident gamblers backed him today which is great to see. MTFers use to back nothing but short odds in the old days.

oranges
08-31-2008, 02:33 AM
Well, on top of everything he's gonna win in his career, someone should award Kei some kind of a trophy for not receiving a single hateful remark in a MTF thread :lol: Unprecedented :D
Saw just the end of the match, nicely done, no meltdown after losing the break advantage and good going for the break at 6:5 :yeah:

ufokart
08-31-2008, 02:36 AM

ChinoRios4Ever
08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Ryoma Echizen is reality :worship:

Pics :mad: :o

LinkMage
08-31-2008, 02:50 AM

This coming from a fan of a guy who has won 5 MM tournaments out of 6 tournaments won. :rolleyes:

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 02:52 AM
a 'wow' result...

thats pretty big... and good...

kei is an excitement machine....

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 03:00 AM
This kid is so talented. I mean really talented. Not Thomas Berdych, potential top ten talented. I mean talented enough to go all the way.I agree. The thing standing out in his game after watching him win Delray Beach and then tonight a little bit is the variety he has - compared to the other youngsters coming up and he just seems much more the complete package, and he seems to be fairly mentally strong too, all things considered at this point. And what an attitude, i mean this kid is so shy and seems so humble and quiet and friendly and good-natured and more, it's hard not to want to root for him on personality alone.

Whether he will be able to really ratchet up his fitness and also maintain this once people start having expectations will be the real tests for him. I think the biggest next step for him is really getting much fitter.

Warrior
08-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Excellent win Kei! :yeah:

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:09 AM
Whether he will be able to really ratchet up his fitness and also maintain this once people start having expectations will be the real tests for him. I think the biggest next step for him is really getting much fitter.

i didnt see the match... (was at the pub, watching a replay of roddick gulbis dammit... but, roddick looked surprisingly clever on 2nd watch to be honest)

but... anyway... kei must have some level of fitness to pull out a 7-5 5th vs that animal today right...?

Deboogle!.
08-31-2008, 03:13 AM
i didnt see the match... (was at the pub, watching a replay of roddick gulbis dammit... but, roddick looked surprisingly clever on 2nd watch to be honest)

but... anyway... kei must have some level of fitness to pull out a 7-5 5th vs that animal today right...?I mean, he's still a pro athlete, I'm sure he's not screwing around. But he had physical troubles in his first match I believe? he was hurt earlier this summer, and he was treated in tonight's match for cramps somewhere in the 4th set. I didn't get to see the whole thing but Johnny Mac mentioned he was treated for cramps or something similar. Maybe someone can give more specifics, and of course, he is still 18 and probably still growing/developing so I am hardly blaming him - just saying that he seems to have such a lovely game as a foundation so taking the fitness to another gear would be huge for him.

Warrior
08-31-2008, 03:17 AM
I wonder who is more tired

Q. We saw you were getting some massage near the end. How are you feeling?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: Tired.

Q. Anything more than that?

JUAN MARTIN DEL POTRO: No.

I feel happy because I win, but I cannot move anymore.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:18 AM
I mean, he's still a pro athlete, I'm sure he's not screwing around. But he had physical troubles in his first match I believe? he was hurt earlier this summer, and he was treated in tonight's match for cramps somewhere in the 4th set. I didn't get to see the whole thing but Johnny Mac mentioned he was treated for cramps or something similar. Maybe someone can give more specifics, and of course, he is still 18 and probably still growing/developing so I am hardly blaming him - just saying that he seems to have such a lovely game as a foundation so taking the fitness to another gear would be huge for him.

i hear you... heaps can be learned from what happened with andy 'the muscle' murray... ignorance to fitness set him a year back for certain...

Corey Feldman
08-31-2008, 03:19 AM
:lol: fast_clay... what kind of an Aussie pub shows a poofy sport like tennis on the telly? ;)

anyhow, what a match... and what a day, all those 5 set epics

dont tell me the WTA deserve equal prize money :rolleyes:

selyoink
08-31-2008, 03:20 AM
Always great to see a player play the game like Nishikori does. A lot of the top 10 could learn from him.

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:22 AM
:lol: fast_clay... what kind of an Aussie pub shows a poofy sport like tennis on the telly? ;)

anyhow, what a match... and what a day, all those 5 set epics

it was actually an aussie pub here in dublin ;) which i guess is even more surprising... i had to request it on tho...

i have no problem in attempting to convert the general population here... especially when the boks were thrashing the wallabies on the other big screen... tennis is not even a minority sport here... but... i gotta say... the irish treat murray like there own... not a word of a lie...

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 03:24 AM
i gotta say... the irish treat murray like there own... not a word of a lie...

:lol:

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:31 AM

heh heh... i gather this.. because, whenever i hear anyone heap sh!t on a tennis player... its murray, no one else...

Warrior
08-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Kei's also very tired

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2008-08-30/200808301220152947953.html

Q. Are you in pain now? You looked a little uncomfortable when you walked in.

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, hurting everything: My ankle and my legs are so sore, and my back.

Q. Have you ever been that physically spent after a match?

KEI NISHIKORI: I think this is first time, but the first day was more tougher for me. I cramped all my legs. I couldn't even move after the match, so...

Q. Is it just fatigue, or do you have any serious problems that could affect your next match? Do you think you will be okay?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah. It's not too bad. Just sore, sore my legs. Yeah, I got to keep walking, like doing stretch and bike. Yeah, will be fine I think.

why,marat,why?
08-31-2008, 04:09 AM
i would feel comforted by nishi saying he is just a sore and that he will be ok, but he said his back hurts...he has had chronic back problems throughout his career that feels a bit too close to home to be simply related to fatique.

Scotso
08-31-2008, 04:20 AM
Kei :woohoo:

too bad for David, though.

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 04:40 AM
Interview with Ferrer:

Q. So how was today's match and how was Nishikori?

DAVID FERRER: He's a very good player, no? Young player, plays very well and serve really well. Good level, no? I like it much.

Maybe the fifth set I did my best point and he take the chance, no?

Q. How is your condition?

DAVID FERRER: My condition? Now I'm not too much happy, but it's okay, no?

I fight a lot, and Nishikori plays better than me I think.

Q. You won a terrific five‑setter against Nadal ‑ I might be mistaken ‑ last year.

DAVID FERRER: No, four sets.

Q. But nevertheless, do you relish a night match that really is a slugfest in the end, a very difficult match both ways, that lasts a long time?

DAVID FERRER: Last year is past and now is present. I think every match is different, no, different points, different conditions, and I don't think so.

Q. In the first two sets it looked like you were having some trouble returning his serve. Was it just too hard for you? Was it just hard to see?

DAVID FERRER: No, I don't know. Maybe the first set I was 4‑2 with break up, and I play so bad this game, no, with my serve.

I don't serve very well. Maybe in the fifth set I don't serve very well. I played very regular all the match. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

But this is tennis and Nishikori plays pretty well.

Q. Did he surprise you in the first couple sets, like how high of a level he was playing?

DAVID FERRER: No, no. Because I know Nishikori won this year tournaments to Blake. No, I know surprise.

Q. He called the doctor, trainer. How did you think about it?

DAVID FERRER: I don't think nothing. I am focus on my game and for the next point, no?

I don't think nothing.

Q. Do you think you should have maybe called the trainer yourself?

DAVID FERRER: No, it's not a problem, no? It's the rules of the game, no? He can call to the training, and he did.

Q. Which shot made you difficult to play from Kei?

DAVID FERRER: Well, my forehand, no? I did ‑‑ I had big problems with my forehand and I did made mistakes, a lot of mistakes.

And him, no, maybe the backhand of him really well, no.

Q. Looked like you were getting a little unnerved out there and banging the racquet. Did it hurt you at all when you were getting upset? Do you feel like you were a little bit frustrated?

DAVID FERRER: It's normal, no? It's my mentality. It wasn't to be nervous. But if I don't stay nervous I cannot play very well, no? I need this one, and, no, nothing.

Q. Are you impressed with Nishikori? He's only 18 but he plays with a lot of poise, like he's 25 or something.

DAVID FERRER: He's a very good player, no? I know that. I was saw last year in Tokyo and I like it too much. It's not a surprise. For sure he will be a very good player, no?

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Nishikori played very well but he needs to drop his choking philosophy or he will become a loser like Berdych. You can't choke a 2 set to love lead like that. He got lucky this time but next time against a better opponent, he won't be. I can't wait for Del Potro to reach the semis now but Kei will have his chances.

leng jai
08-31-2008, 04:48 AM
Class act this pics.

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 04:49 AM
Kei Nishikori
Saturday, August 30, 2008

Q. Can you give us your thoughts on this match?

KEI NISHIKORI: Right now I'm very happy. Yeah, that's the only word I can say now. And, you know, I couldn't give up the fifth set.

He start playing great in the third and fourth set. I was tired and my legs was almost cramping, but I tried to think, I am playing David; he's No. 4 in the world, and playing five set with him. I felt like kind of happy and think more positive.

Yeah, that's why I think I could fight through everything.

Q. Is this the first time you've gone five sets?

KEI NISHIKORI: No, second time actually.

Q. The other time was Davis Cup?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah.

Q. How did you get through? How did you get through this fifth set? What did you keep telling yourself?

KEI NISHIKORI: I kind of like just sort of throw away the fourth set. I was tired, too, so I just tried to fight in the fifth set.

Q. If someone told you before the tournament that you would go this far and beat the No. 4 in the world, would you have believed it before the tournament?

KEI NISHIKORI: No. I was ready to play quallies and I know it's tougher, but I was already happy to play US Open main draw.

The first match was a tough, tough one. He was seeded and I knew he was great player. Yeah, I was happy to beat him.

Q. Do you know how big it is in Japan? Do you have any feedback?

Q. Is it huge?

KEI NISHIKORI: I think ‑‑ I don't know, yeah.

Q. You said on TV this was your biggest win ever. You won a tournament in Delray Beach earlier this year. Do you think that helped you tonight by winning a tournament this year, your confidence?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, I think so. I got more confidence. I played Nadal a couple months ago and I played well; got one set against him.

But today I was playing five set and, you know, I was tired.

Q. At one point you pulled out a book with a British flag on the cover and it had some English writing inside it. What were you reading?

KEI NISHIKORI: About like what should I do in the match, like keep ‑‑ I don't know. I don't want say this.

Q. Are those like little key words or reminders that you have to keep telling yourself during the match?

Q. What was one of them?

KEI NISHIKORI: Stay calm. Don't get pissed off too much. Kind of like that.

Q. When did your legs start cramping up? During the third set?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, during the third set, and fourth set get worse.

Q. Did you start feeling a little bit off your service then, with the leg cramps?

Q. Looked like about ten miles came off in the third set and another ten after in the fourth set.

KEI NISHIKORI: After the trainer came it was much better, but I had still last couple games like tough to move and almost...

Q. Do you think it's just because you're not used to the fifth set? I know you said you did one before, but you're not used to the five‑set match?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, and I cramped first match, too. So that's ‑‑ yeah.

Q. The crowd, at least in the beginning of the match and until the third set, was more partisan to you. Did that egg you on at least, push you along, hearing your name being chanted on Louis Armstrong?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, I think that was the most important thing today. That helped me so much, and my coaches and my family. Yeah, I get so excited today.

Q. Also on that first match point you had, back I believe it was the fifth set, not the last game, but the first match point, some guy yelled out. Did that unnerve you at all?

KEI NISHIKORI: No, I didn't hear anything.

Q. You threw the ball up and had to re‑serve.

KEI NISHIKORI: No.

Q. Are you in pain now? You looked a little uncomfortable when you walked in.

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, hurting everything: My ankle and my legs are so sore, and my back.

Q. Have you ever been that physically spent after a match?

KEI NISHIKORI: I think this is first time, but the first day was more tougher for me. I cramped all my legs. I couldn't even move after the match, so...

Q. Is it just fatigue, or do you have any serious problems that could affect your next match? Do you think you will be okay?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah. It's not too bad. Just sore, sore my legs. Yeah, I got to keep walking, like doing stretch and bike. Yeah, will be fine I think.

Q. Can you talk a little bit about how you came to the United States from Japan five years ago? You were so young. What were some of the big adjustments you had to make to the North American culture?

KEI NISHIKORI: Mr. Morita helps me to go there, and two friends with me, Japanese friends. Yeah, I couldn't speak English. I was so nervous. I was like scary everything, all the American people.

But now it's fine (laughter). But there is only like good players, like twenty, thirty players and they're stronger than me, and there's top pros.

Q. Did your family come with you, or did you come alone?

KEI NISHIKORI: Just me. They come once or twice a year.

Q. I believe you have achieved something that no male player in your country has done since 1995, so almost as long as you've been alive. What does that mean to you?

KEI NISHIKORI: Like what do you mean?

Q. You sort of made a little bit of history back home with what you've done.

Q. What does that mean to you to sort of do that, to be a pioneer of sorts?

KEI NISHIKORI: I never think about it, like, I'm making history or something. I don't think about it. But I know Shuzo made quarters of Wimbledon.

Yeah, I'm very proud of it. I don't know.

Q. From where I was sitting, Ai Sugiyama was watching and applauding and enjoying it very much. Did she reach out to you yet? Did you talk to her?

KEI NISHIKORI: No, not yet. I haven't.

Q. You were advised by Shuzo Matsuoka? You have contact with them?

KEI NISHIKORI: Yeah, sometimes. Just e‑mail. Not too much.

Q. Gives you a little bit of some help in adjusting to the tour or...

Q. What he said? You can share?

KEI NISHIKORI: I don't know. I can't think about it now. Sorry.

*esther*
08-31-2008, 04:52 AM
So proud of him. :woohoo:

He is the only Asian left in the men's draw!

chewy
08-31-2008, 05:01 AM
I hate to say it...

but Kei's the "prince of tennis" :P

Hendu
08-31-2008, 05:02 AM
Nishikori played very well but he needs to drop his choking philosophy or he will become a loser like Berdych. You can't choke a 2 set to love lead like that. He got lucky this time but next time against a better opponent, he won't be. I can't wait for Del Potro to reach the semis now but Kei will have his chances.

Are you critizising the mental strenght of an 18 year old boy who just defeated a physical freak top ten in a 5 set match in the 3rd round of a grand slam?

lol

hilarious!!!

no name face
08-31-2008, 05:02 AM

:rolls:

Collective
08-31-2008, 05:04 AM
I only catched the first 30 minutes of this match because I needed to catch my train back to DC, but from those 30 minutes I can say that Nishikori's pace looks amazing live. Ferrer is a hard hitter himself, but Kei's shots were very sharp and usually very well placed!

*esther*
08-31-2008, 05:12 AM
:rocker2: since long time ago. ;)

Haha yeah I have been bangwagoning this kid since I saw him at the Legg Mason last summer. Beat Gabashvilli in straights, I still remember. I saw his name in early last year in a futures draw when he was ranked around 1000 and have been following ever since. Low and behold, my support for a player has FINALLY payed off. (For counter examples, see my avatar/account name).

Come on join us :angel::wavey:

I hate to say it...

:lol: :inlove::inlove:

Ferrero Forever
08-31-2008, 05:24 AM
This Nishikori is getting on my nerves. First round beats Monaco and now Ferrer. Too bad he seems rather likeable.

I hope he does well in the tournament:)

krystlel
08-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Really impressive of Nishikori to win a five set match against Ferrer given his lack of Grand Slam experience - he was really tested in the final stages of that fifth set and he came up with some great shots to take the match. I only saw the last couple of games at the end, but after the fourth set I thought Ferrer would have been the huge favourite to win it. I like Nishikori's game so I hope I get to see his match against Del Potro.

Neumann
08-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Well, on top of everything he's gonna win in his career, someone should award Kei some kind of a trophy for not receiving a single hateful remark in a MTF thread :lol: Unprecedented :D
Saw just the end of the match, nicely done, no meltdown after losing the break advantage and good going for the break at 6:5 :yeah:

:lol: I've seen so many players that had absolutely nothing to be hated for, and ended up with a strong contingent of vile haters, that I'm just waiting for when not if people will start posting pure vitriol directed at him.

Oh well, this is the internet. Giving a voice to everybody with a connection has many advantages, so I'll have to take this minor annoyance. Bring them on! :D
Good luck Kei.

silverwhite
08-31-2008, 06:25 AM
Very gracious interview from Ferrer: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2008-08-30/200808291220064320953.html

"He's a very good player, no? Young player, plays very well and serve really well. Good level, no? I like it much."

"He's a very good player, no? I know that. I was saw last year in Tokyo and I like it too much. It's not a surprise. For sure he will be a very good player, no?"

Mechlan
08-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Great stuff Kei. Surprising to find such a creative player from Bollitieri's. Good luck to him against del Potro.

DhammaTiger
08-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Excellent result for Asian tennis. Congratulations Kei :bigclap: Ferru :hug:

Bilbo
08-31-2008, 10:13 AM
i remember when people were criticizing him after delreach beach calling it a fluke etc.

as you can see it wasn't a fluke. he's a really good player.

leng jai
08-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Now take out Del Pony, the ridiculous streak has gone long enough.

Bilbo
08-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Now take out Del Pony, the ridiculous streak has gone long enough.

he won't

scoobs
08-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Love Kei's little notes to himself.

Keep calm, don't get too pissed off

:)

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Kei looks like Jet Li. Though they are from different countries. But I thought for sec last night that Jet Li was playing

cobalt60
08-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Only saw the last few games ( too bad Safina could not close out her match faster :p ) but I was very impressed with the way Kei played :yeah: Someone can actually think on a tennis court :woohoo:
Once again this looks to have been another entertaining match at a major and Ferrer was again one of the players.
:hatoff: to both guys.

*Raine
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Sugoi Kei :banana:
It really made my day.

Ferrer :hug:

Wow, Kei! Great result! :yeah:

I thought he's missed his chance, when Pics broke back.

Best of luck vs Del Potro! Damn, I really like this young Japanese man's game! The real Japanese prince of tennis :)

Real life Prince of Tennis. :D

Nishikori Drop Shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=735z2kWiUb8

Ryoma Echizen is reality :worship:

Pics :mad: :o

I hate to say it...

Fans of the anime "Prince of Tennis" :rocker2:

He does remind of Echizen Ryoma :D.

thegreendestiny
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
At last, the start of the fulfillment of the Eastern Promise...

Neely
08-31-2008, 02:41 PM
:yeah: Strong job of Nishikori, first time I really saw him playing more than a few points. I loved how he played, though it has to be noted that Ferrer is not in the shape he was at about the same time last season.

Haile Selassie
08-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Great stuff Kei. Surprising to find such a creative player from Bollitieri's. Good luck to him against del Potro.

So true :lol:

Bernard Black
08-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Potentially a career changing win. Great stuff Kei, well done.

seljanin
08-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Fans of the anime "Prince of Tennis" :rocker2:

He does remind of Echizen Ryoma :D.

Yeah, I have the same thoughts :)

littleash
09-01-2008, 03:14 AM
kei :eek:

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 03:19 AM
i remember when people were criticizing him after delreach beach calling it a fluke etc.

as you can see it wasn't a fluke. he's a really good player.

Gotta love the timing of this post. :rolleyes:

leng jai
09-01-2008, 03:21 AM

Expected one.

why,marat,why?
09-01-2008, 03:22 AM

Haha what do you mean Glenn?

GlennMirnyi
09-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Haha what do you mean Glenn?

It's like saying: "I knew he was gonna win this match" after it happened.

Bilbo is captain hindsight.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 03:53 AM
any room left on the wagon over here...?

leng jai
09-01-2008, 03:56 AM
any room left on the wagon over here...?

Yes, unlike the Del Pony bandwagon.

SheepleBuster
09-01-2008, 03:57 AM
Nadal is already dancing in NY streets. His toughest opponent enroute to the final is Querrey

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 04:48 AM
Yes, unlike the Del Pony bandwagon.

i'm on...

why,marat,why?
09-01-2008, 04:56 AM
to be honest, i always had a small feeling that nishi would beat ferrer. i don't have that same feeling against del poop...still though, if anybody can do it it is kei. bandwagon, let's ride!

*bunny*
09-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Omedeto!! Kei!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
I knew he had a chance to win but I didn't think he would be able to do so in five sets! Really amazing!

:hug: to Ferru. He proved again what a fighter he is!

The Japanese media are going gaga over Kei (lol) but they'd better stop comparting him with past Japanese players because he's already so ahead of them achievementwise at the same age (well, except Jiro Sato who because world No. 3 in 1930s).
Good luck againsg JMDP! :spoton:

Hokit
09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Omedeto!! Kei!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
I knew he had a chance to win but I didn't think he would be able to do so in five sets! Really amazing!

:hug: to Ferru. He proved again what a fighter he is!

The Japanese media are going gaga over Kei (lol) but they'd better stop comparting him with past Japanese players because he's already so ahead of them achievementwise at the same age (well, except Jiro Sato who because world No. 3 in 1930s).
Good luck againsg JMDP! :spoton:

Didn't Matsuoka reach a Wimbledon QF back in the mid 90s? :confused: If that's the case, then Nishikori needs to reach at least a GS QF before the media can start speculating whether he'll turn out to be the greatest Japanese player in the modern age.

fast_clay
09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Didn't Matsuoka reach a Wimbledon QF back in the mid 90s? :confused: If that's the case, then Nishikori needs to reach at least a GS QF before the media can start speculating whether he'll turn out to be the greatest Japanese player in the modern age.

who could ever forget the big man...

...SHUZO...!! :yeah:

Deivid23
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Fantastic stuff from Kei :worship:

DragonFlame
09-01-2008, 11:14 PM
That boy will probably be one of my new favorites! :eek:
He's like a breath of fresh air. :D Loving his forehand there, that stroke is immense.

Hope he can deliver against del potro.