USO Rd. 3: (32)Monfils eases past (7)Nalbandian 6-3, 6-4, 6-2. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

USO Rd. 3: (32)Monfils eases past (7)Nalbandian 6-3, 6-4, 6-2.

Montego
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Monfils should get a huge respect for this match. He is the perfect retriever. Nalbandian played like a mug, but Monfils' athleticism and agility is something spectacular.

Some rallies, like this one at 5-1 40-40 in final set, ended with Nalbandian's drop-volley were just :eek:

The Freak
:woohoo:

Monfils is just so good defensively, Dave didn't know what to do out there and was sucking towards the end.

Blake or Fish next.

MIMIC
Gael was really nimble, seemingly tracking down every ball that David hit back over the net. Nalbandian was kind of stuttering out there; at times, it looked like he was there to try and level the set but for the most part, he was just going through the motions, not making any great efforts at getting to a ball. He wasn't terrible, it just that Monfils played at a much higher level. According to JMac, his footwork (or lack thereof) was a significant factor during the match.

These two played some really thrilling points, allowing the crowd to "ooo" and "ahh" during much of the match.

Alonsofz
:haha: vamos GaŽl :D

Always good to see the fat whale losing :D

sheeter
08-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Monfils retrieved very well and Nalbadian wasn't into it. I like Monfils victory jig!

BAMJ6
08-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Blake and Monfils on Labor Day will rock folks

the biscuit
That little dance at the end from Monfils was cute.

Nalby is in a mega-slump.

alfonsojose
:lol: Thank God this is not WTA. No Kanepis/Bartolis can flourish here

rhinooooo
Really poor quality match. A real shocker from Nalbi. Poor tactics, and some terrible errors.

Voo de Mar
08-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Monfils is irresponsible with all his throwing on court :o
Fat Dave is pathetic :o I thought he would win one set.

Mon-dance :lol:

Lullaby
lol at gael dancing

MusicMyst
Somebody please show Gael how to do an end-zone dance. That Michael Jackson stuff is so 80s. :lol:

Fat Dave: :haha: :haha:

Albop
Worst match of the tournament by far

Nalbandin :haha:

Dedicated to fiberin.

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
:banana: Great job Monfils. :rocker:

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Expected one.

The fatty threw this year away. I wonder how many meat-eating contests prepared him for this one. At least it gives him time to enjoy himself before the more serious business of Davis Cup.

Deathless Mortal
08-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Monfils :sport: :rocker2:

Not the best match but there were some nice points, like that one at 5-1 deuce in the 3rd as someone mentioned. Gael acts a bit childish and seeks for attention IMO but he beat Nalby so he can get away with it :p

nobama
08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Fat Dave just needs to retire. :o

alfonsojose
08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
FitDave will show up for DC, Madrid and Paris :p

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:02 PM
WTG Le Monf :yippee:

altho that top half of the draw is becoming laughable

platinum
08-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Fat ass :haha:

HeretiC
08-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Pretty much a repetition from Beijing. Same aggressive tactics from Nalbandian, same defense from Monfils. Didn't worked then, didn't worked now. Since he chose to play aggressive, Nalbandian should have charged the net even more often and way much quicker then he was doing it. There was so much extra points that he played after well constructed ground-strokes. Monfils is too fast and his defense is too good to go down from 1 ground-stroke shot as Nalbadian was trying to achieve.

Hendu
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I hope Nalbandian plays better than this in Davis Cup... he probably will.

He served like my sister.

And my sister doesn't serve well at all.

Acer
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
It's physically impossible for Nalbandian to move :s

Rumour
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Monfils :worship:

Loved the dramatics each time he fell, making the crowd and even the commentators wonder if he was OK or not :lol: As for Nalby, he was in full Fat Dave mode from what I saw - just making his shots from the same position and never taking one extra step to the ball...

alfonsojose
08-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Pretty much a repetition from Beijing. Same aggressive tactics from Nalbandian, same defense from Monfils. Didn't worked then, didn't worked now. Since he chose to play aggressive, Nalbandian should have charged the net even more often and way much quicker then he was doing it. There was so much extra points that he played after well constructed ground-strokes. Monfils is too fast and his defense is too good to go down from 1 ground-stroke shot as Nalbadian was trying to achieve.

:yeah: But this Nalbandian can't charge the net for two points in a row. He was sweating half of his lunch :o

NyGeL
08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Expected.

Hendu
08-30-2008, 10:11 PM

The problem was not Nalbandian being agressive but being in lousy form, without any rhythm. He wasn't getting clean shots.

He was missing forehands since game one and serving badly, those are the first signs that tell you Nalbandian is going down.

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Great job Monfils :yeah:
Nalby did not look motivated

Enjoy Incubus
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm sure he will next year.

Eden
08-30-2008, 10:22 PM

If every player who is in a slump would retire the tour would be nearly empty ;)
It's a pity to see Nalbandian performing like he did in this match as we all knew what he is capable of.
Hopefully he won't regret it one day that he is wasting this part of his career.
Congrats to Monfils for the victory.

knight_ley
08-30-2008, 10:23 PM
:haha: Monfils sure is fun to watch. :lol:

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I think it will be an awesome display of defensive Tennis if Nadal vs Monfils is the quarterfinal showdown.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Monfils is going to be top ten next year.

Book it.

DhammaTiger
08-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Monfils is irresponsible with all his throwing on court :o
Fat Dave is pathetic :o I thought he would win one set.

Mon-dance :lol:

I agree with you on the point about Monfils throwing himself all over the court. That was really stupid of him in the last couple of games of the 3rd set, when he tried to get impossible shots. Nalbandian was not interested in the match anymore, and so what if he let him get a few points. He risked serious injury doing those dives, and would have handed the match to Nalby, who thoroughly didn't deserve it.
I just watched from the 4-4 second set, when Nalby just stopped competing. Nalby was simply awful and I am disgusted at his sheer lack of effort. Well done Gael :bigclap: I really loved his victory jig :dance:

freeandlonely
08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Congrats. But a bit surprised most of you feel it's cute dancing.

IAMlegend
08-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Nalbandian is a bit of a disgrace. He looked lead footed in the third set....why? Dude is only 26.
Great perf for Monfils. NOw he should settle for nothing but the semis.

HeretiC
08-30-2008, 10:33 PM
The problem was not Nalbandian being agressive but being in lousy form, without any rhythm. He wasn't getting clean shots.

He was missing forehands since game one and serving badly, those are the first signs that tell you Nalbandian is going down.

You are not going to get free points on serve against Monfils. And Nalbandian send numerous FH's and BH's into corners which would have been winners against 95% of the tour, but not against Monfils and that was his mistake, he should have used those like approach shots and charge the net. He did that few times but it was to rarely and he was too slow. Trying to paint lines from baseline on every shot is an excellent way to lose against a retriever, especially a fast one like Gael.

richie21
08-30-2008, 10:35 PM
The likes of Monfils and Tsonga are slowly becoming threats to top players.
If only a certain french player showed half of their determination and had a forehand half as good as theirs......:o

Sunset of Age
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Pathetic performance from Nalby. What's with those :retard: tactics???

Congrats to Monfils. :hatoff:
I do think he has to be a little more careful with his body. One twist of an ankle, one bad landing, and it can completely destroy his career...
His dancing at the end was very funny. He's a great showman! :yeah:

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 10:38 PM
If only a certain french player showed half of their determination and had a forehand half as good as theirs......:o

Gasket needs balls to do that.

Alonsofz
08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Dedicated to Tennis-Engineer :D

safinalium
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Congrats to Gael. I enjoy watching his tennis and he seems a very likable guy. :)

Pfloyd
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I've certainly seen Nalbandian play worse.

I think Monfils is a bad matchup for Nalby, and Nalbandian lacked patience.

Monfils vs. Blake would be fun to watch, for sure. :yeah:

Albop
08-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I've certainly seen Nalbandian play worse.

I think Monfils is a bad matchup for Nalby, and Nalbandian lacked patience.

Monfils vs. Fish would be fun to watch, for sure. :yeah:

That's better :p

the graduate
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
monfils is going to beat James or Fish,he is getting better and he is no longer standing far back from the baseline

bambelbitz
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I kind of expected it after their olympic match, where Nalbandian didn't look good too. Didn't have a chance back then and didn't have a chance today!!! Not even close!!

leng jai
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM
Fat Dave has been an absolute disgrace this year. Time to buy his own McDonalds franchise and do what he loves best.

ReturnWinner
08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
this match was an exactly copy of their meeting in Beijing, Monfils retrieving a lots of balls, but the difference again was the serve, Nalbandian did not get free points and had a low percentage whereas Monfils was all the opposite like in Beijing.

nadal800
08-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Great job Monfils

Aurelien
08-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Monfils is now ready to fight Nadal, I don't see him loosing against Fish or Blake.

I'm impatient to see how he will do against Nadal. I don't think they had played each other very often -at least I don't remember it-, this should be interesting.

BlakeJamitis
08-31-2008, 12:02 AM
congrats Monfils but what a horrible effort from Nalbandian.

moon language
08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Monfils is a lot of fun to watch, hope he makes it to Rafa.

On a side note can someone explain to me why it's La Monf and not Le Monf?

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Strategic Tank. Nalbandian has a lot of points to defend from the last two masters series. He needed the rest.

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 12:39 AM
poor from dave.

monfils is in pretty good shape

Argenbrit
08-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Nalbandian = Mug.

And what the hell was that dance? :lol:

Hendu
08-31-2008, 01:18 AM
You are not going to get free points on serve against Monfils. And Nalbandian send numerous FH's and BH's into corners which would have been winners against 95% of the tour, but not against Monfils and that was his mistake, he should have used those like approach shots and charge the net. He did that few times but it was to rarely and he was too slow. Trying to paint lines from baseline on every shot is an excellent way to lose against a retriever, especially a fast one like Gael.

It worked against Nadal in the past... if Nalbandian or any other player for that matter, is cleaning the lines playing angles on a fast court, it doesn't matter how fast or how good of a defender you are. Your chances of winning are very small.

Nalbandian's problem was not his strategy.

FiBeR
08-31-2008, 01:22 AM
:o Monfils' dance was as disgraceful as Albop's posts :o

Truc
08-31-2008, 01:38 AM
On a side note can someone explain to me why it's La Monf and not Le Monf?I don't know if there is any explanation, that's how they call themselves with his 3 best friends. LaMonf, LaParse, LaBaze (and Ventu). He was wearing a shirt with their names written on it after his matches in RG.
Le Monf would make more sense indeed, but it's definitely "La".

ChinoRios4Ever
08-31-2008, 02:41 AM
This guy Fat Dave, if only want to care about tennis :rolleyes:

GaŽl :yeah:

moon language
08-31-2008, 02:47 AM
I don't know if there is any explanation, that's how they call themselves with his 3 best friends. LaMonf, LaParse, LaBaze (and Ventu). He was wearing a shirt with their names written on it after his matches in RG.
Le Monf would make more sense indeed, but it's definitely "La".

Ok thanks. Originally I had thought it was the commentators saying it wrong until I say the shirt with "La" on it.

selyoink
08-31-2008, 03:27 AM
This Monfils is good. The top 10 is beckoning, so is a spot in the QFs. Looks like Fish the mug is next and Monfils should have no trouble in that one against the worst slam QF of all time.

krystlel
08-31-2008, 05:04 AM
I only watched from midway in the second set and it was incredibly frustrating to see Nalbandian suddenly employing ridiculous tactics from 4-4 30-0 in the second set onwards, and from then on his effort was completely non-existent. He looked like he was getting tired also. It is not even a tactic to hit countless dropshots, it's not bothering to play out the point at all and wanting it finished as soon as possible. Nalbandian is getting more and more frustrating to follow as a fan these days.

I have to say that Monfils has improved quite a bit as of late. Doesn't put himself in such a negative position as much, so he has more of a chance of getting back into the point. I guess the matchup is a bit like the one against Ferrer except that Nalbandian gives Monfils the opportunity to play those athletic winning shots on the dead run, which he loves to do. It will actually be interesting to see how he goes against Fish because Fish likes to keep the points short and come to net a lot.

Collective
08-31-2008, 05:13 AM
Man, you can really notice his belly from Louis Armstrong's Nth row!!!

But I think that wasn't the problem... IMO it was very poor decision making... tonz of long, painful-to-watch drop shots at important moments, go to the net with regular shots instead of a proper approach, among others.

Forehander
08-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Was Gael Monfils trying to imitate Usain Bolts? Doing a victory dance after a win?

Collective
08-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Was Gael Monfils trying to imitate Usain Bolts? Doing a victory dance after a win?

Twice

Truc
08-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Was Gael Monfils trying to imitate Usain Bolts? Doing a victory dance after a win?No, it has nothing to do with Bolt, he often does that, he did it in RG too and already did it before (in Stuttgart, etc.) It seems he dances a lot in real life, people always mention that when they talk about him, it's kind of his trademark.

In RG, it was supposed to be Soulja Boy. This time he says in interviews it's a dance of his own creation. Not his best one imo!

Truc
08-31-2008, 09:00 AM
I like Monfils, but I thought it was quite a woeful match, I don't really get why people say after this match that he deserves a lot of credit and should enter the top 10 and is fun to watch and and and - and sometimes bash him like crazy after much better matches imo. Nalbandian's effort really was a shame today.

Anyway, why did Monfils get a warning from Chryst in that match? Just for taking too much time between the points?

kyleskywalker007
08-31-2008, 09:27 AM
That was simply shameful from Nalby.....And I do hate this guy Monfils!

belco
08-31-2008, 10:46 AM
this match is now up @ t3nnis.tv ;)

Beat
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
this is the worst i've ever seen nalbandian play. what happened to this guy? :shrug:

congrats to gael :)

Sunset of Age
08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Monfils vs. Blake would be fun to watch, for sure. :yeah:

You have the Real Power of the Jinx, Manuel. :lol: :worship: :p

Johnny Groove
08-31-2008, 04:11 PM

Honestly is Richie the only player you like?

scoobs
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
this is the worst i've ever seen nalbandian play. what happened to this guy? :shrug:

congrats to gael :)
You must have missed his match against Ferrero in Australia and his match against Dancevic at Wimbledon - it's his new Grand Slam habit.

scarecrows
09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
fun, people were starting to get excited about Bandy's chances after his 2 wins here :D

Stephan
09-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Dave's "considering Retirement" ...

lorenz
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Pathetic performance from Nalby !!
Fat Dave's service sucks !!!

I'm very frightened about DC. I hope Fat Dave will wake up, and demostrate what he can do.

Vamos Gordo !