Murray def. Melzer 6-7 4-6 7-6 6-1 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Murray def. Melzer 6-7 4-6 7-6 6-1 6-3

the biscuit
08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Not his best play, obviously but :worship: for coming back from two sets down. I could've done with less moaning but Andy without his bitching wouldn't be Andy I guess.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2008, 08:45 PM
:haha: Melzer :lol:

Murray's behavior in the 5th screaming "IT'S TOO STRONG" after a winner right at Melzer's face and flexing his muscle like a complete numbskull right after MP, really classy stuff :cool:

Sunset of Age
Muzza! :yeah:

The moaning-and-groaning... :lol:

NinaNina19
:banana: :woohoo: I thought he was going to lose. He actually won more points in the 1st two sets.

waterlily_021989
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I really liked Andy before,but his attitude is starting to get on my nerves,what an arrogant twat.hope he loses next round!

tangerine_dream
A shame for Melzer to cramp and run out of gas at the end.

I get embarrassed for him every time Murray flexes his puny muscles at the end of a match.

Lullaby
love it ....

Never in doubt ;)

Great fight,far too passive 1st few sets but sensational in 4&5

Voo de Mar
Melzer is too weak phisically to play matches around 4 hours :( Was 5:4* up in the third set tie-break.

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Great comeback from Murray. Very impressive!

Clydey
Melzer was red lining. Couldn't believe it. Murray has that winning mentality now and he looked so fresh, whereas Melzer looked knackered.

nobama
Yes Murray is a total twat. I don't see him winning a slam with that attitude on court. :o

knight_ley
08-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Murray is crazy. I never really liked him, but I'm liking him less and less the more I see him. :o But I must give respect to him cuz that was a great comeback.

Clydey

Murray's behavior in the 5th screaming "IT'S TOO STRONG" after a winner right at Melzer's face and flexing his muscle like a complete numbskull right after MP, really classy stuff :cool:

MTF seems to hate people who show some personality on the court.

~Maya~
Murray's attitude was "how dare you to even think you can win this"
Good job for coming back from two sets down.

scoobs
Never in doubt, Andy :)

Might want to calm down on the obnoxiousness though, perhaps.

But he got it done and looked like he could go longer if he needed. Melzer was done physically after a couple of hours.

Lullaby
greg making a fair point that the doubles was a massive mistake and will take its toll later in the event

Clydey
08-30-2008, 08:49 PM
greg making a fair point that the doubles was a massive mistake and will take its toll later in the event

It seemed to be a factor at the start. Looked a bit mentally drained. Have to credit Melzer, though. He was playing crazy tennis.

ReturnWinner
08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
pathetic asshole that ugly paly vampire named Andy Murray.

biological
I can't wait for Stan to own Murray in the next round. He's an arrogant little tit and that bicep display is embarrassing for everyone.

Voo de Mar
I don't like when a player yells "come on!" after unforced error by his opponent. Unfortunately Murray does it often. I understand that many members don't like his on court attitude.

rocketassist

Yeah, like Roddick calling Tsonga a prick! :haha:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 08:51 PM

I guess it's better just to belittle and berate the umpires in a patronising way :)

rocketassist
08-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Beautiful win. :haha:

Suck on it, muppets. :wavey:

Clydey
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Who gives a toss what MTF thinks. They seem to dislike anyone who shows a bit of passion and will to win.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 08:52 PM
To be blunt, I don't much like Andy's on-court histrionics but what he does that I like outweighs that.

In the end, he won the match, he was the stronger, he proved that.

He won't be liked by some for it, but that's just too bad. I don't like it but it's part of what he does and I won't excuse it but it doesn't change my liking of him.

Sjengster
08-30-2008, 08:53 PM
The two Andys are both masters at this sort of thing, but that doesn't make it excusable in either case.

Duncan
Fantastic stuff in the end.

I love players showing emotion on court, its why certain players i used to dislike are winning me over.

What a win.

Lullaby
I can't wait for Stan to own Murray in the next round. He's an arrogant little tit and that bicep display is embarrassing for everyone.

If murray comes out firing, he will rip stan a new one make no mistake ....

Melzer like llodra played extremely well almost incredibly and he still found a way to get it done both times.

Deboogle!.
MTF seems to hate people who show some personality on the court.personality's one thing, obnoxiousness is another :lol:
Yeah, like Roddick calling Tsonga a prick! :haha:Yep, pretty much :shrug:

I guess it's better just to belittle and berate the umpires in a patronising way :)both just as bad :shrug:To be blunt, I don't much like Andy's on-court histrionics but what he does that I like outweighs that.Same for me with Roddick, but considering how horrifically he was vilified for his "too big" against Youzhny a couple years ago, Murray screaming almost the same thing in Melzer's face couldn't go without mention especially for those murray fans who were part of the berating :)

Clydey
08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't like when a player yells "come on!" after unforced error by his opponent. Unfortunately Murray does it often. I understand that many members don't like his on court attitude.

Every player does that at important moments in the match. People seem to read it as rubbing it in his opponents' face. The fact is a point is a point no matter how you win it. And displaying emotion is perfectly natural.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 08:54 PM
personality's one thing, obnoxiousness is another :lol:
Yep, pretty much :shrug:

both just as bad :shrug:
Yes they are just as bad as each other - you like one, I like the other :)

biological
08-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Tell me he didn't actually shout "IT'S TOO STRONG!"? What a twat.

Lullaby

:worship:

green25814
spartan muzza! :rocker2:

the biscuit
He won't be liked by some for it, but that's just too bad. I don't like it but it's part of what he does and I won't excuse it but it doesn't change my liking of him.

I don't mind his sometimes over-the-top celebrations, like I don't mind them with Rafa and have never minded them with Lleyton. I like to see some passion on court, some yells; imho it makes a match more interesting.

nobama
08-30-2008, 08:56 PM
To be blunt, I don't much like Andy's on-court histrionics but what he does that I like outweighs that.

In the end, he won the match, he was the stronger, he proved that.

He won't be liked by some for it, but that's just too bad. I don't like it but it's part of what he does and I won't excuse it but it doesn't change my liking of him. It's a shame cuz it's so not necessary.

Deboogle!.
Tell me he didn't actually shout "IT'S TOO STRONG!"? What a twat.he did, at least twice. they showed it on slow-motion

Voo de Mar
Every player does that at important moments in the match. People seem to read it as rubbing it in his opponents' face. The fact is a point is a point no matter how you win it. And displaying emotion is perfectly natural.

I'm just amateurish player and I yell "come on!" but only after winning point in spectacular style, I think it's a proper way to show emotions, obviously it's subjective issue :shrug:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
It's a shame cuz it's so not necessary.
Maybe for him - it is. Some players need that to make it happen and some don't.

I think it's a shame that this is being dwelt on when it was actually a really good match and all people want to talk about is a few shouts here and there.

Clydey
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM

Not that I'm aware of. The commentators said that he was complaining about a shot that he thiught went out prior to him winning the point. People see what they want to see. And people wanted to see Murray as obnoxious.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Not that I'm aware of. The commentators said that he was complaining about a shot that he thiught went out prior to him winning the point. People see what they want to see. And people wanted to see Murray as obnoxious.Sorry, no, it was right after he hit a winner, and they showed him screaming in slow-motion something about TOO STRONG, not once but twice. It's not about wanting to see Murray as obnoxious, it's what happened. :lol:

tangerine_dream
08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess it's better just to belittle and berate the umpires in a patronising way :)
Telling an umpire to stay in school is better than calling one a c*nt. :)

rocketassist
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM

I find that funny. :haha:

I seen 'WHAT WAS THAT?' after a crappy drop shot.

biological
08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
he did, at least twice. they showed it on slow-motion

Someone must YouTube this. His twattery astounds me.

Almost as annoying as him is the BBC's assumption that all British people love him. :rolleyes:

rocketassist
08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Telling an umpire to stay in school is better than calling one a c*nt. :)

Murray never called his opponent a prick though did he? :D

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry, no, it was right after he hit a winner, and they showed him screaming in slow-motion something about TOO STRONG, not once but twice. It's not about wanting to see Murray as obnoxious, it's what happened. :lol:

I know when it was because I thought the same thing. The commentators seemed to say he was directing it at the umpire, as Melzer hit a shot either right on the line or just out.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
I know when it was because I thought the same thing. The commentators seemed to say he was directing it at the umpire, as Melzer hit a shot either right on the line or just out.but he clearly screamed it right in Melzer's face, he would've said it to the ump if he meant it to the ump.
Or calling an opponent a prick :shrug:The difference is that Andy fans just accept his shortcomings and move on, we don't try to pretend it didn't happen like many Murray fans seem to.

Whatever. I'm done here :)

scoobs
Melzer was so close to winning that down in three straight sets...

he'll be gutted.

green25814

Almost as annoying as him is the BBC's assumption that all British people love him. :rolleyes:

How is he a twat? He's telling the truth. Murray is too strong. :cool:

Tyler_Durden
08-30-2008, 09:02 PM
but he clearly screamed it right in Melzer's face, he would've said it to the ump if he meant it to the ump. Whatever. I'm done here :)

he wasnt directing it at melzer, he was doing to his box.

he did appear to be saying too strong though, which I didnt like if im being honest

rocketassist
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM

British working class people will love a guy like him over a southern poxy Hooray Henry toff.

Deboogle!.
08-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Melzer was so close to winning that down in three straight sets...

he'll be gutted.It's hardly the first time he's blown a match like that. He blew one pretty badly against Andy (Roddick) in Davis cup and I remember one of the first times I saw him play, against the US here indoors he blew a 2-0 sets lead against Ginepri. He's a fairly well-known choker, just another really bad one in his cap.

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Haha he's just "too strong, too strong".

I have to say that I actually like it if he said that. I love that kind of thing in sports, so long as it doesn't descend into insulting your opponent.

And Deboogle, Melzer obviously didn't mind. He applauded Murray at match point.

Steelq
08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
After watching these matches today,i am wondering is there any classy player in top 20 currently,cuz majority of them are total pricks.

Lullaby
08-30-2008, 09:05 PM
British working class people will love a guy like him over a southern poxy Hooray Henry toff.

Voo de Mar
It's hardly the first time he's blown a match like that. He blew one pretty badly against Andy (Roddick) in Davis cup and I remember one of the first times I saw him play, against the US here indoors he blew a 2-0 sets lead against Ginepri. He's a fairly well-known choker, just another really bad one in his cap.

Melzer lost also to Coria at Wimbledon being 2 sets to love up and to Ancic in Davis Cup...

Clydey
It's hardly the first time he's blown a match like that. He blew one pretty badly against Andy (Roddick) in Davis cup and I remember one of the first times I saw him play, against the US here indoors he blew a 2-0 sets lead against Ginepri. He's a fairly well-known choker, just another really bad one in his cap.

Who is that in your profile picture? Looks like the swimmer who won a gold in the back stroke. Aaron Prsol (or however you spell it). Is that who it is?

Herdwick
Well kudos to Andy and a great comeback.

Having said that I like the man, rough edges and all, but I cringed tonight at times. I love players who display emotion on court but not that kind. Petulance shouldn't be confused with personality.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
True but he played out of his mind for nearly 3 sets and to get 2 points away...

I wish I knew why Andy gets into these situations though, he needs to...improve...something...to subdue these players faster than this. These kinds of matches are fine for the tournament highlights reel but they're no use at all if you want to win a Grand Slam or make the latter stages.

bokehlicious
Hope someday Andy will act like a prick vs Nadal and shout him some "TOO STRONG" :angel: :D

Lullaby
Haha he's just "too strong, too strong".

I have to say that I actually like it if he said that. I love that kind of thing in sports, so long as it doesn't descend into insulting your opponent.

And Deboogle, Melzer obviously didn't mind. He applauded Murray at match point.

Andy was very complementary about melzer in the post match interview, said he was playing unbelievably at times

biological
08-30-2008, 09:07 PM

I don't like toffs or Murray, where does that leave me? I like interesting, elegant players who are awesome on and off the court - all of which rule Murray out for me.
This is nothing to do with the class system. :rolleyes:

Do you get this information from his biceps? ;)

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:08 PM
True but he played out of his mind for nearly 3 sets and to get 2 points away...

I wish I knew why Andy gets into these situations though, he needs to...improve...something...to subdue these players faster than this. These kinds of matches are fine for the tournament highlights reel but they're no use at all if you want to win a Grand Slam or make the latter stages.

To be honest, I think he has come up against two opponents who were playing out of their skin. I mean, Melzer didn't even really take advantage of Murray's second serve. He was simply blasting winners incessantly as soon as they got in a rally.

pricdews
I think Murray's regressed mentally from a few months ago. A bit too much confidence. He's lucky some average (27 year old) top 50 player cramped up in the 4th after being 2 points from losing the match in the 3rd. Not the moment for trash talk for someone who's trying to cement a place in the top 4.

RogandyFan

I disagree. Every opponent should be shown the proper respect. You don't see Andy showing that kind of obnoxiousness vs Nole, Fed or Rafa. I hope he will change that behavior eventually.

Lullaby
08-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I think Murray's regressed mentally from a few months ago. A bit too much confidence. He's lucky some average (27 year old) top 50 player cramped up in the 4th after being 2 points from losing the match in the 3rd. Not the moment for trash talk for someone who's trying to cement a place in the top 4.

2 more wins and he will cement that place in the top 4 :wavey:

His mandatory points totals for the 1st half of next year are very low also

Clydey

I don't think Melzer was cramping, to be honest. There was nothing wrong with him in the 3rd set, yet when he loses a break in the 4th he suddenly needs the trainer. Playing a possum, given how he started in the 5th.

scoobs
To be honest, I think he has come up against two opponents who were playing out of their skin. I mean, Melzer didn't even really take advantage of Murray's second serve. He was simply blasting winners incessantly as soon as they got in a rally.
I'm not sure - I'd like to just dismiss it as that - oh Poor Andy, he's just having an unusually tough draw and they're playing out of their skins against him.

But I do wonder if there's something about the way he plays these matches that gives the opponents belief and lets them get confident and into these matches, in a way that other players would shut down quickly and get them moping around feeling beaten.

green25814
I don't like toffs or Murray, where does that leave me? I like interesting, elegant players who are awesome on and off the court - all of which rule Murray out for me.
This is nothing to do with the class system. :rolleyes:

Do you get this information from his biceps? ;)

Actually yeah. It takes a lot of strength of will to do a flex on national tv if you're murray :p

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I disagree. Every opponent should be shown the proper respect. You don't see Andy showing that kind of obnoxiousness vs Nole, Fed or Rafa. I hope he will change that behavior eventually.

He did show Melzer respect. So what if he shouts "come on" after an error? A point is a point.

And he showed Melzer plenty of respect after the match. Plus, Melzer applauded him just after match point, so he clearly didn't feel Murray was being disrespectful.

biological
08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Actually yeah. It takes a lot of strength of will to do a flex on national tv if you're murray :p

:lol: Yet he seems to believe that it will impress people?

I want Rafa to just pick him up and drop him.

Bijoux0021
08-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Murray did the same thing at Wimbledon after his big comeback win against Gasquet. His in-your-face behavior fits perfectly well for the U.S. Open crowd, which he says he loves and it's his favorite Grand Slam.

Tyler_Durden
I'm not sure - I'd like to just dismiss it as that - oh Poor Andy, he's just having an unusually tough draw and they're playing out of their skins against him.

But I do wonder if there's something about the way he plays these matches that gives the opponents belief and lets them get confident and into these matches, in a way that other players would shut down quickly and get them moping around feeling beaten.

Disagree scoobs, andy played well in the first two sets but like clydey said melzer just played better, especially in the big points.

Lullaby
looking foward to the next match - andy and stan are good friends off court but always have a ruck when they are playing each other lol

Clydey

Normally I'd say he was too passive and was inviting Melzer on to him. However, I didn't think Murray was actually all that passive today. I'm not sure what you could put it down to really. I'm inclined to believe that Melzer just played really well. That said, maybe Murray was a bit too passive on occasion. He certainly didn't play with the depth he did in Cinci.

green25814
08-30-2008, 09:15 PM

i think some people are impressed. Though apparantly not the bbc. I dont think they like him much :tape:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7589292.stm

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Disagree scoobs, andy played well in the first two sets but like clydey said melzer just played better, especially in the big points.

Definitely on the big points. Andy actually won more points in the first two sets. Melzer came up with great tennis at the right times, though.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Normally I'd say he was too passive and was inviting Melzer on to him. However, I didn't think Murray was actually all that passive today. I'm not sure what you could put it down to really. I'm inclined to believe that Melzer just played really well. That said, maybe Murray was a bit too passive on occasion. He certainly didn't play with the depth he did in Cinci.
It's a thing he needs to work on, try and find a way to shut these down earlier - you don't see many grand slam winners have a 4 setter in R2 and 5 setter in R3, do you - not sure he's ready for the final stages of the event and won't have enough to get there quite yet.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

vincayou
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Well done Andy! :yeah:
Hopefully he won't be too tired for the 2nd week.

stebs
08-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Murray lately has a real "I know I should be beating this guy and if I don't it's all down to my faults" attitude which gives no respect. The ultimate of those is Serena Williams and I really don't like that attitude. Even on the occasions that it's true (which it is more for Williams than Murray by the way) it's classless. That said, feeling you should be winning your matches is usually an attitude that gets you places. It may not win Murray fans, but it may well win him matches.

Lullaby
hes just showing the muscles so they can be compared next year when they are even bigger as he hits top form

2 remaining problems

1. Serve too low 1st serve % awful 2nd serve - bring back cinci serving please
2. Too passive still when it is not necessary

scoobs
i think some people are impressed. Though apparantly not the bbc. I dont think they like him much :tape:
Andy is always going to divide opinion.

I'd love it if everyone "got" him but some people don't, some people never will, and some people will find his abrasiveness when he's in streetfighter mode to be a real turn-off.

Meh.

I'm less worried about his on court dramas and more worried that he's already played 17 sets this tournament.

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
It's a thing he needs to work on, try and find a way to shut these down earlier - you don't see many grand slam winners have a 4 setter in R2 and 5 setter in R3, do you - not sure he's ready for the final stages of the event and won't have enough to get there quite yet.

Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

You just have to look at Djokovic vs. Stepanek at the US Open last year. It's not unheard of. And I think Murray is fitter than Nole, to be honest.

biological

That's odd from the BBC. Usually they drool all over him. The commentary for his matches is just ridiculous - "His shirt doesn't fit well, that could be hindering his game...Or maybe the weather...I heard something was wrong with his leg or his arm maybe, that'll be it..."
The papers are just as bad, full page photos with headlines screaming that he's actually Federer and Nadal's biggest rival for number one. :rolleyes:

scoobs
Murray lately has a real "I know I should be beating this guy and if I don't it's all down to my faults" attitude which gives no respect. The ultimate of those is Serena Williams and I really don't like that attitude. Even on the occasions that it's true (which it is more for Williams than Murray by the way) it's classless. That said, feeling you should be winning your matches is usually an attitude that gets you places. It may not win Murray fans, but it may well win him matches.
True - the on-court attitude is perhaps the same, though off-court Andy is always extremely complimentary about his opponents - you don't see him saying "he hit some lucky shots today" as the main defence for losing.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 09:21 PM
That's odd from the BBC. Usually they drool all over him. The commentary for his matches is just ridiculous - "His shirt doesn't fit well, that could be hindering his game...Or maybe the weather...I heard something was wrong with his leg or his arm maybe, that'll be it..."
The papers are just as bad, full page photos with headlines screaming that he's actually Federer and Nadal's biggest rival for number one. :rolleyes:
Some BBC people like him - others, such as Overrend, really don't seem to.

Whatever though.

stebs
08-30-2008, 09:22 PM

I don't think Murray is bad at closing out early matches with reasonable ease on the whole. Llodra and Melzer both played good matches and they're both good players. Faced with easy opposition Murray usually does get the job done without fuss. The game is pretty deep right now. Apart from the top 3 (and even Federer is questionable right now) none of the other guys on tour are that much better than the rest of the tour that they should be progressing in straights all the time.

pricdews
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm generally in favor of everyone stopping the "come on's" altogether. It's usually at the least borderline taunting. I don't quite get it. It's often ambiguous who the player is talking to (themseleves or their opponent or the crowd, etc ???).

In the CBS post match interview Murray says the US Open is his favorite tournament. In some ways I buy it since the pressure at Wimbledon must be incredible but I still can't believe he goes around saying that.

stebs
08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
True - the on-court attitude is perhaps the same, though off-court Andy is always extremely complimentary about his opponents - you don't see him saying "he hit some lucky shots today" as the main defence for losing.

Murray definately has a long way to go if he is to match Serena but it's still just a more moderate version of the same type of behaviour and attitude.

Rafalover15
08-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Meh

Scared me for a bit

What the hell Murray come onn?? Allezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm generally in favor of everyone stopping the "come on's" altogether. It's usually at the least borderline taunting. I don't quite get it. It's often ambiguous who the player is talking to (themseleves or their opponent or the crowd, etc ???).

In the CBS post match interview Murray says the US Open is his favorite tournament. In some ways I buy it since the pressure at Wimbledon must be incredible but I still can't believe he goes around saying that.

He has always said it, even before he ever played at Wimbledon in the seniors.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM

He has always said that though - the US Open is his favourite tournament and has been since he won the juniors in 2004.

I think it's one reason the British fans have been slower to warm to him - the British generally like their players to idolise Wimbledon as their primary focus in tennis.

Lullaby
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM

He won us open juniors, it was bound to be his favourite tournament, also all his tournament wins have come on hc

trixtah
08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Everyone, please cry more about his on court antics. He's an amazing player without a doubt and couldn't care less what we say here. What a great match :D I hope he keeps showing the same emotion because not only does he give me a show with his tennis, but I get a show on these boards watching everyone cry about how much they dislike him :]

Clydey
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Everyone, please cry more about his on court antics. He's an amazing player without a doubt and couldn't care less what we say here. What a great match :D I hope he keeps showing the same emotion because not only does he give me a show with his tennis, but I get a show on these boards watching everyone cry about how much they dislike him :]

:yeah:

The fact is, Murray was just "too strong, too strong" for Melzer today. :worship:

Man, I love it when MTF cries in unison. It usually indicates something good has happened, since I disagree with so many on here.

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Never in doubt.

Now I hope he demolishes Wawrinka next. At least he won't underestimate him like he did Melzer (who was brilliant btw) today.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
It's funny how the American crowds, and in fact crowds in general, seem to love him but then you get on here and he gets up so many peoples' noses :)

Acer
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
The more I see Murray play, the more I dislike him.

Acer
08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I've always wanted to like him he just doesn't do himself any favours does he?

~*BGT*~
08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Lucky one Muzz. :o

Clydey
08-30-2008, 10:02 PM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/nhilun/f6f71014a8b7c27dd3759f7338eb1568-ge.jpg

:haha:

A_S
08-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Hiya, Dont usually post but i've been watching Andy since he turned pro though with great interest. I totally agree with you. In my opinion although he works his oponents hard and makes them play that one more shot he never really steps in, he never troubles their comfort zone. His style as we all no by now is sitting 6ft behind the base line and knocking the ball often mid court, and down the T, it just allows, in this case, Jurgen to play his game and encourages him to play the way he did today, especially with the drop shots... he ALWAYS had that play to go to at the Key, and they were absolutly key, times because murray doesnt step in and try and dictate. If he did that I'm convinced he would have won in 3 today.

I guess i might have to clarify this, so i will now. I am not saying he was too passive, i'm saying he didnt say (or send the message) "I'm not going to let you do that against me", he just kind of accepted that Melzer was going to error or tried to play his normal game. No probs if things are going well, however sometimes you have to start off in someone elses mindset and twist them to your own. He could do this in 05 and 06, when he constantly used to be able to draw people in (doesnt seem to happen now, perhaps people are wiser to it though), but he doesnt seem to do it anymore, and i must admit i do miss that variety and tactic he used to use.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Why the hatred over a harmless celebration?
:retard:'s

anyway, 'grats son :yeah: 4 more to go

but next win might need to be a quicky

Jaap
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Fighter vs Choker.

Result never in doubt.

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
If you are going to show off your muscle it had better be a real bicep not a chicken wing. This Murray might be worse than Roddick :haha::rolls::haha:

NyGeL
08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Murray, what a moron. He only won becouse Melzer couldn't handle it.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:13 PM

pathetic asshole that ugly paly vampire named Andy Murray.

How about tissues all round for this bunch ?
:lol:

Suck on it, muppets. :wavey:That is more like it... Muzza would be proud of you two :yeah:

Telling an umpire to stay in school is better than calling one a c*nt. :)but one is intense and straight to the point - the other is just a crappy attempt at comedy :p

tennisbloke
08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
If you are going to show off your muscle it had better be a real bicep not a chicken wing. This Murray might be worse than Roddick :haha::rolls::haha:

it certainly was a mini bicep that andy murray was showing off! pathetic!

rafa_maniac
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I was never bothered at all by Hewitt's on court buffoonery, I actually relished it, but for some reason...I just really can't stand Andy Murray. Every time he's on screen I just want to punch him in the fangs.

l_mac
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM

He wasn't looking at Melzer. I thought he was shouting about something being "wrong" to the umpire, but on 2nd viewing he does seem to be saying "Too strong", but I don't think it was aimed at Melzer. Having said that, I don't like a lot of Andy's on court behaviour :sad:

Agree.

I didn't think he was very good today. I hope he starts playing better.

Why?

Andy Murray is from a middle class family, the same as Tim Henman. He grew up in Dunblane, not Govan.

platinum
08-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Great comeback for Murray.

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Gotta love these Andy's :worship:

Too Big!!!! :haha:

It's too strong!!!! :lol:

The best part about this is that Escude no longer has an excuse to bash Roddick when his own boy is behaving worse. Personally I have nothing against these boys' antics/behaviour (well Murray has gotta hit the gym before showing off the chicken arm in the future) but the touchy feely folks here will :devil:

tennisbloke
08-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I was never bothered at all by Hewitt's on court buffoonery, I actually relished it, but for some reason...I just really can't stand Andy Murray. Every time he's on screen I just want to punch him in the fangs.

i feel the exact same way, he is awful to watch when he acts like he did today, shameless!

Havok
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Murray is fast becoming the biggest TWAT on the ATP circuit. Flexing his muscles after he won the match.:help:

Too bad for Jurgen who couldn't close it out.

Kingofchaos86
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Murray is a joke!! being all tough against Melzer!!!!! this match should have been straight sets for Murray.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM

SPARTAAA!

Thats how spartans intimidate pansies and beat them.

Vamos Murray! Truly SPARTAN!

tangerine_dream
08-30-2008, 10:26 PM
I missed the whole "It's too strong!" screaming. Did Andy really say that, or maybe he yelled "It's too long!"? :p

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 10:27 PM
SPARTAAA!

Thats how spartans intimidate pansies and beat them.

Vamos Murray! Truly SPARTAN!

Yes but you don't scare people with a chicken arm. He has gotta pump some more iron if that's going to be a realistic trademark.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Gotta love these Andy's :worship:

Too Big!!!! :haha:

It's too strong!!!! :lol:

The best part about this is that Escude no longer has an excuse to bash Roddick when his own boy is behaving worse. Personally I have nothing against these boys' antics/behaviour (well Murray has gotta hit the gym before showing off the chicken arm in the future) but the touchy feely folks here will :devil:bash Roddick?

i love it when he is in JERK mode :worship:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I missed the whole "It's too strong!" screaming. Did Andy really say that, or maybe he yelled "It's too long!"? :p
Well it might have been "too long" since he seemed exorcised about a line call in that rally that he won anyway, but let's not let it get in the way of a good story, whatever happened.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes but you don't scare people with a chicken arm. He has gotta pump some more iron if that's going to be a realistic trademark.

True but Melzer is from Federers era. Those clowns get intimidated by anything.

Vida
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
sponge brain Meltzer. Murray can draw little confidence from this.

NinaNina19
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
How about tissues all round for this bunch ?

That is more like it... Muzza would be proud of you two :yeah:

but one is intense and straight to the point - the other is just a crappy attempt at comedy :p

Too strong
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h53/nhilun/f6f71014a8b7c27dd3759f7338eb1568-ge.jpg

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
great picture :hearts:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 10:48 PM
I just checked the tape and whatever it was he *did* yell, it was definitely in the direction of the umpire. Score was final set *4-3 15-15, Andy finished the point with a crosscourt forehand, he was stood in his backhand corner, Melzer was at the net diagnonally opposite from him. Melzer turned his back and walked away down the tramline on his backhand side (left hander). Andy turned to his right in the direction of the umpire and yelled something - now it could have been to the umpire, or to his support camp who I think were in that general eyeline too. But it wasn't directly to Melzer at all.

Duncan
08-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Everyone having a go at his so called chicken arm.

Bet you would feel it if he smacked you square on the chin. For someone who is naturally so skinny i think that his muscle is quite imrpessive.

Clydey
08-30-2008, 10:52 PM
It is actually pretty big. However, some people on here would call it a chicken arm even if it was like Schwarzenneger's bicep.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I just checked the tape and whatever it was he *did* yell, it was definitely in the direction of the umpire. Score was final set *4-3 15-15, Andy finished the point with a crosscourt forehand, he was stood in his backhand corner, Melzer was at the net diagnonally opposite from him. Melzer turned his back and walked away down the tramline on his backhand side (left hander). Andy turned to his right in the direction of the umpire and yelled something - now it could have been to the umpire, or to his support camp who I think were in that general eyeline too. But it wasn't directly to Melzer at all.come on, dont ruin it for the Anti-Muzzies in here

you know they dont let facts get in the way of a good story

scoobs
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Bigger than Federer's :)

l_mac
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Bigger than Federer's :)

Mmm. Cornet has a bigger bicep than Federer.

biological
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Muscle size is only an issue when you choose to show it off. Murray seems to expect everyone to be impressed with his biceps, whereas Federer doesn't display them for criticism. That's why Murray's get the negative comments.

Plus he's a twat. I really don't get why people fancy him - the hair? the gaping mouth? the charm?

Black Adam
08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Serena Williams has biggers guns than Federer and Murray. That's why Murray has to increase in bicep size if he is going to adopt the bicep flex as his trademark.

Vida
08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Murray has good attitude and doesn't give a toss on whats being said about him. Thats why he moans and talks to himself when down, but it gets him out. It was almost certain he would win that TB in the third and that Melzer will leak the edge.

Tyler_Durden
08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Muscle size is only an issue when you choose to show it off. Murray seems to expect everyone to be impressed with his biceps, whereas Federer doesn't display them for criticism. That's why Murray's get the negative comments.

Plus he's a twat. I really don't get why people fancy him - the hair? the gaping mouth? the charm?

sarcasm is the lowest form of humor ye know.

which means, your a bawbag!!

Sunset of Age
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Isn't it fantastic that the guy with the toothpic arms has 12 slams under his sleeve? :D

It's called 'Guilty Pleasures'. Same reason why I rather enjoy Stepanek and Karlovic as well. ;)

Duncan
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
ALSO

i see a theme here! Twice he has celebrated this way after a match and both were over 5 sets and both were when he was 2 sets down so i imagine it's just aimed at those who questioned his fitness.

trixtah
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Everyone can be an internet warrior, post pics and show us that you aren't some scrawny kid talking trash about Andy :] Until then, "too strong!"

biological
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
I know who I prefer anyway (http://www.whineandcheese.net/pics/fedshirt.jpg), and to each their own. :D

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
ALSO

i see a theme here! Twice he has celebrated this way after a match and both were over 5 sets and both were when he was 2 sets down so i imagine it's just aimed at those who questioned his fitness.
Yep - the muscle display is aimed at his box showing them how the physical work has paid off and how long he can now endure.

He explained all this at Wimbledon but instead people think Murray's trying to enter a posedown. Oh well :)

biological
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Everyone can be an internet warrior, post pics and show us that you aren't some scrawny kid talking trash about Andy :] Until then, "too strong!"

But Murray's the one showing off his arms all the time. ;)

Duncan
Yep - the muscle display is aimed at his box showing them how the physical work has paid off and how long he can now endure.

He explained all this at Wimbledon but instead people think Murray's trying to enter a posedown. Oh well :)

It is pretty sad and pathetic.... i like it when the Andy hater's get all wound up. It's fun :)

trixtah
http://cornerstork.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/crying_baby.jpg

waaa wwaaa

Tissue for the haters?

http://www.cluttercontrolfreak.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/kleenex.jpg

:]

Duncan
08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
But Murray's the one showing off his arms all the time. ;)

Twice.... hardly all the time now is it? ;)

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
It is pretty sad and pathetic.... i like it when the Andy hater's get all wound up. It's fun :)
It happens - you get closer to the summit, you pick up more haters. He could end up #4 or #5 at the end of this event, inevitably the increased success picks up more detractors.

And he can be a hard guy to like, to be honest - he's not sweetness and light out on court.

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
sarcasm is the lowest form of humor ye know.

which means, your a bawbag!!LOL!!!

It's called 'Guilty Pleasures'. Same reason why I rather enjoy Stepanek and Karlovic as well. ;)Do you like that geeky Napoleon Dynamite look Karin? ;)

as he would say "Sweet!"

biological
08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Twice.... hardly all the time now is it? ;)

It's enough to show that he didn't feel the first time was a terrible mistake. :p

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:14 PM
What is a bawbag?

*feels terribly English suddenly*

decrepitude
08-30-2008, 11:14 PM
As a big, and long-term, Andy fan I used to get quite upset at the Murray-bashers on here. (Whatever happened to Murray-will-never-be-any-good-Jazar, by the way? :lol: )

Now I find it amusing and confirmation that Andy is going places. No-hopers don't get haters.

By the way, I am an elderly English female who was brought up "to act like a lady", the very sort of person who is supposed to be horrified by Andy, and I think he is great fun!

biological
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I disagree that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. And am also clueless as to the meaning of bawbag.

LinkMage
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Let's see if he does this when he faces Nadull. But he'll probably just bend over like he always does. Not too difficult to act tough when facing a mug like Melzer. Why doesn't he do it against the big guys?

decrepitude
08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Let's see if he does this when he faces Nadull. But he'll probably just bend over like he always does. Not too difficult to act tough when facing a mug like Melzer. Why doesn't he do it against the big guys?

Because he hasn't, yet, come through a gruelling five-setter from two sets down against them? :shrug:

Clydey
08-30-2008, 11:18 PM
What is a bawbag?

*feels terribly English suddenly*

Baw = ball for us Scots.

Basically, he called him a ball bag or a nut sack.

leng jai
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
How did Melzer get 2 sets to love against Murray?

HeretiC
08-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I generally don't mind antics or emotions on court. But this is too much even for me. Screaming, shouting and cheering on opponent's UE's ?:eek: I used to root for Murray in his matches but after all this I found myself rooting for Jurgen and even even don't rate the guy to see him in R16 of a slam.:confused: Looks like Andy wants to impose himself as a bad guy on a tour and for sure he is getting more and more successful at that.

biological
08-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm a her. :p

Clydey
08-30-2008, 11:22 PM

By playing like a maniac.

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Baw = ball for us Scots.

Basically, he called him a ball bag or a nut sack.
lol

How lovely :)

trixtah
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Like Djokovic? I mean, come on, do you even think through your examples? You make this too easy.

ANDY MURRAY: No. I didn't think I was out of it, but I knew it was going to be tough to come back because he was playing really, really well. He was serving close to the lines and hitting the ball so hard and flat and very deep. Taking a lot of risks and was going in for the most part.

ANDY MURRAY: The guy played great. It happens sometimes. I'm not that good of a player that I can just blitz guys. But I said it was going to be a difficult match, and he's very talented. He's given top guys a lot of problems in the past. He's beaten Agassi three or four times when Agassi was still around. He's a tough guy to play and he played great.

I wasn't surprised. It's tough to get in a rhythm when a guy is taking every ball on the rise, and coming to the net and mixing his serve around. He was playing well.

Jeez, so arrogant...

Corey Feldman
08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
And am also clueless as to the meaning of bawbag.thats coz you are one :D

bambelbitz
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM

I wished I would have seen that!! I missed it! Good win for Andy after being two sets down!

biological
08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
thats coz you are one :D

Oh right, okay. :rolleyes:

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
I wished I would have seen that!! I missed it! Good win for Andy after being two sets down!
Except we've established it wasn't in Melzer's face and wasn't even in his general direction.

Rumour
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
What has been lost in all the moaning over on-court antics, both here and in the Wawa thread, is how perilously close we were to a fourth round match between Cipolla and Melzer :o

scoobs
08-30-2008, 11:42 PM
What has been lost in all the moaning over on-court antics, both here and in the Wawa thread, is how perilously close we were to a fourth round match between Cipolla and Melzer :o
Good point, well made. Good save Andy and Stan.

Rumour
08-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Good point, well made. Good save Andy and Stan.
While I do secretly enjoy tolerate all the hissy fits - plus the mudslinging between the two Andy camps (pot, meet kettle) - I just thought I'd remind folks that sometimes there are more important things to consider than dignity, respect, sportsmanship etc. :angel:

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Murray may get an easier draw with Simon and Nishikori but Nadal will definitely won't be beat by this Andy it seems. He needs to get his act together and take those break points man!

Andi-M
08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Easy.

:eek: :eek:
Muzza has a winners attitude thats the most improtant thing.

I dont care if he's emotional on court he cares about his tennis and if by letting it out he can get over his dissappointments better. fine by me.

Vamos Muz

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 01:00 AM

lucky guy this murray

Argenbrit
08-31-2008, 01:12 AM
Melzer :lol:

Tyler_Durden
08-31-2008, 01:36 AM
thats coz you are one :D

ChinoRios4Ever
08-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Never in doubt, even when Melzer was 2 sets up and 5-4 in the tb of the 3rd set.

Take out Wawa now Muzza :rocker:

Rumour
08-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Murray showing off his physique post-match:

http://i33.tinypic.com/rrppwp.jpg

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Murray showing off his physique post-match:

http://i33.tinypic.com/rrppwp.jpg

the muscle...

is it just me... or does anyone else feel that New York will just love this sh!t...?

class...!

selyoink
08-31-2008, 03:40 AM

An excellent question. Just shows the state of the game that the world #6 could lose two sets to an uber mug like Melzer.

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:41 AM
An excellent question. Just shows the state of the game that the world #6 could lose two sets to an uber mug like Melzer.

uber mug... i didnt know he had reached that level of mugness yet... :lol: ... quality

Tobi
08-31-2008, 05:02 AM

Didnt expect anything less than this "classy" guy :lol:

But to his credit,his attitude is always like that,he was like that when I first watched his match so he is as annoying/classless as ever.

ES commentators were drooling over him again and showed his match for 3 hours I think,I mean if he is going to win,please make him win in quick three :lol:

krystlel
08-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I wish I got to see more of this match. They only showed parts of the second, third and fifth sets, but from what I saw it was very entertaining. Melzer was playing great tennis overall - serving and returning well, good shotmaking and volleying. It was fun to watch. Murray played okay, didn't make enough first serves at times and played a couple of poor shots to lose his serve in the second set. Melzer definitely got tired towards the end, I was actually surprised that he still managed to play relatively well in the fifth set considering that he didn't seem to be using his legs anywhere near as well as earlier.

Looks like that Murray celebration of showing his bicep wasn't a one-off. :lol:

trixtah
08-31-2008, 05:55 AM

honestly, if you had watched the match, Melzer was playing the best match of his life there

Mechlan
08-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Melzer was playing some phenomenal stuff there. Though Andy does need to pick up the aggression level a bit from what I saw. Can't let other players take it to him like that. Great fight though, he might just have what it takes to take that next step towards Grand Slam success that a lot of people just can't make.

As for the celebration after the match, he explained why he did it after the Gasquet match at Wimbledon.

cocrcici
08-31-2008, 09:39 AM
MTF seems to hate people who show some personality on the court.

:yeah:

scoobs
08-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Didnt expect anything less than this "classy" guy :lol:

But to his credit,his attitude is always like that,he was like that when I first watched his match so he is as annoying/classless as ever.

ES commentators were drooling over him again and showed his match for 3 hours I think,I mean if he is going to win,please make him win in quick three :lol:
Except we established he didn't do it in Melzer's face or anywhere near Melzer - it was in the direction of the umpire or his support camp, whatever it was he said.

spaycehoppa
08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Andy didn't even say too strong he shouted "it was long" and it was towards the linesman, the ball was out before he hit it.

Seneca
08-31-2008, 12:27 PM
I dunno, with the better results Melzer had going for him in the last few weeks, I thought he could be one of the dark horses for in this slam. Which he sort of was already, taking out Lopez and all that.

Melzer is a tricky guy and has a tendency to play top 5 tennis for a set at a time. When he starts unloading those rocket forehands and cheeky drop shots without missing even the Big Three have trouble staying with Melzer. Trouble is, he has usually trouble stringing even one consistently good set together at any stage of a match.

That being said, the level of play dropped in the second set for both players after which I switched to Nadal-Troicki. Judging from the scoreline, Melzer never really recovered while Murray stepped on the gas and never let go after that.

the biscuit
08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Andy didn't even say too strong he shouted "it was long" and it was towards the linesman, the ball was out before he hit it.

If he said "it's too strong", I don't mind but yeah, I'm wondering if that's what he said bc he said it with such a frustrated look on his face. :shrug:

finishingmove
08-31-2008, 01:08 PM
he said "i'm king kong"

Beat
08-31-2008, 01:14 PM
murray = :retard:

it was so predictable that melzer was gonna lose this one after the 3rd set tie-break.

Tommy fan
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM

I can't stand Murray's muscle thing after winning tough matches.
Melzer :o :tape:

Clydey
08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
he said "i'm king kong"

Love it. Man, I hope he said that and sounded like Denzel Washington in Training Day.

biological
08-31-2008, 01:46 PM
I heard "THIS IS SPARTA!". :shrug:

Neely
08-31-2008, 02:28 PM
That was a good match, I didn't see everything of it, but I was very pleased to see the way Jürgen was playing in this. Seems like rumours are true, since he got rid of his former coach Wetter (now with Gulbis) he is hitting his forehand as good as never before. And I don't even think it was only Murray playing badly for almost three sets, Melzer had a big part to do with the scoreline.

He had an incredibly big chance to win in three. Then because of disapppointment or tiredness he faded completely and wasn't even trying to move in the fourth set, and couldn't put up better resistence in the fifth. As soon as I saw him in the fourth set, I knew Murray would win it at the end.

the muscle...

is it just me... or does anyone else feel that New York will just love this sh!t...?

class...!
Funny how times changed, about two years ago people would have rolled on the floor laughing about that muscle flex :lol:

jcempire
08-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Look at murray's play, He's so hungry and puts everything together to fight that he's getting ready to move his Ranking up

fast_clay
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
he said "i'm king kong"

:lol: that's gotta go in your greatest hits collection dude... :lol:

he is big tho... put a pitchfork in his hand... add a tartan skirt... dude is ready to crack skull...

Funny how times changed, about two years ago people would have rolled on the floor laughing about that muscle flex :lol:

listen... i believe tennis would be lost without murray now... i mean... come on, this is a back-to-back GS muscle-flex... we cant afford to take this sh!t lightly... murray is telling us something with his actions, tho i am not sure what... but i feel we should listen...

NinaNina19
08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Andy didn't even say too strong he shouted "it was long" and it was towards the linesman, the ball was out before he hit it.Actually that's what I thought he said at first, but then the commenters chuckled. In the rally there was a ball Melzer hit that looked clearly long and then after that Andy hit a winner and looked up towards maybe the umpire and said "It was long".

Bernard Black
08-31-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, Murray was 2 sets down before I hit the town last night. Thought the tournament was over for him, but what a pleasant surprise to see he's dug out another great comeback.

Haven't seen the last 3 sets but I understand Melzer's standard and fitness dropped and Murray siezed the opportunity. Well done to him, hope he can keep this run going and reach the semis.