US Open R3: Wawrinka beat Cipolla 5-7 6-7 6-4 6-0 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open R3: Wawrinka beat Cipolla 5-7 6-7 6-4 6-0 6-4

CooCooCachoo
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
:sad: Cipo :hug:

But it has been such an amazing tourney for Micio. It's great to support him :rocker:

Sunset of Age
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Stani, such a fighter! :yeah:

maldini
08-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Great tournament for Cipolla...

but very very disappointing behaviour in the end to not even shake hands with Stan :rolleyes:

FaceyFacem
what was the incident at the end? why didn't they shake hands?!?!!??!?!

JMG
:lol: Nice handshake.

I think Wawrinka accused him of faking in the third set.

CooCooCachoo
Apparently Wawrinka behaved like an ass today. If it's true, he lost the little respect I had for him.

Enjoy Incubus
08-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I can't believe what I've just seen. Any other top ten would have beaten Cipolla without losing a single game, Wawrinka lost 22 :haha: :lol:

seljanin
A very ugly end of the match with no handshake and some arguing at the net. Could someone enlighten me what was the reason for such a bad blood there? I saw only few games of the match. I think I heard Eurosport commentators saying that Wawrinka was being annoyed with Cipolla's medical timeouts. Was that the reason?

JustJames
Stani :yeah: He had his hard hat on today!

Spes
08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Idiot Stan, should have won two hours ago. :retard:

What was the deal at the end? Probably Cipolla bitching about nothing, wouldn't surprise me.

Mr Brightside
08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Flavio:worship:
Stan:baby::retard:

but very very disappointing behaviour in the end to not even shake hands with Stan :rolleyes:

not surprising after Stan's behaviour during the whole match:retard:

Spes
08-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Flavio:worship:
Stan:baby::retard:

not surprising after Stan's behaviour during the whole match:retard:

What did he do?

Or Levy
08-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Apperantly, Stan thought Cipolla was faking it in the forth set, and imitated his limp, and accused him of faking it.

Well, if shy gentle Stani has done it, I suppose there has to be something in it, he isn't exactly known for being a jerk.

Scotso
08-30-2008, 07:35 PM
how gutting for poor Flavio :sad:

Scotso
08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Apperantly, Stan thought Cipolla was faking it in the forth set, and imitated his limp, and accused him of faking it.

Well, if shy gentle Stani has done it, I suppose there has to be something in it, he isn't exactly known for being a jerk.

Even if Flavio was faking it, mocking something like that is still pretty immature.

CooCooCachoo

What was the deal at the end? Probably Cipolla bitching about nothing, wouldn't surprise me.

Wouldn't surprise you? Flavio is a very good sport :retard: I've never witnessed him bitching at other players or at umpires and linesmen :shrug:

anon57
A very ugly end of the match with no handshake and some arguing at the net. Could someone enlighten me what was the reason for such a bad blood there? I saw only few games of the match. I think I heard Eurosport commentators saying that Wawrinka was being annoyed with Cipolla's medical timeouts. Was that the reason?

I didn't see the entire thing but it seems that during the third set Wawrinka accused Cipolla of faking an injury and at one point Wawrinka also mocked him by walking with a limp as if to pretend he was injured as well. I guess Cipolla was pissed off about that.

CooCooCachoo
08-30-2008, 07:37 PM

Wouldn't surprise you? Flavio is a very good sport :retard: I've never witnessed him bitching at other players or at umpires and linesmen :shrug:

Sunset of Age
08-30-2008, 07:37 PM

WOW. Well, I couldn't see the match (:mad: at Eurosport), but I'm surely looking forward to read the pressers. From what I know (which is not all too much) it takes quite a lot to force Stan into such behaviour... :confused:

Mr Brightside
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM

sadly this is the not the first time he behaves like a child during a match:rolleyes:
and btw Flavio wasn't faking nothing!he had problems already before the start of the match.

Spes
08-30-2008, 07:40 PM

He clearly isn't if he won't shake his opponent's hand. I didn't say that in the respect that he is a bad sport, it is just normal to be upset and bitter after losing 6-4 in the fifth set after being two sets to love up.

Spes
08-30-2008, 07:42 PM
sadly this is the not the first time he behaves like a child during a match:rolleyes:
and btw Flavio wasn't faking nothing!he had problems already before the start of the match.

A bit suspicious to take the timeout in the fourth set though, no? I don't think he would have been able to hang with a Top10 player for so long if he was "having problems". :rolleyes: Think what you want about Stan, he is certainly not known for acting like a little bitch during matches and I am sure what he was doing was not as bad as you are describing, nor is it unjustified. He is in the fourth round again, that's all I care about.

CooCooCachoo
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
He clearly isn't if he won't shake his opponent's hand. I didn't say that in the respect that he is a bad sport, it is just normal to be upset and bitter after losing 6-4 in the fifth set after being two sets to love up.

They just aired it on Eurosport. Flavio wasn't being a bad sport, but was explaining to Wawrinka that what he did was not appropriate. He still shook the umpire's hand.

Of course he's disappointed, but refusing to shake hands here definitely had its roots in Wawrinka's behaviour earlier in the match.

Wawrinka :retard: I hope he loses to Melzer or Murray.

fast_clay
08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
was this another episode of Choke Hard or did stand step it up...? didnt see any of this...

JustJames
08-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Stani spicing things up! :lol: Nice to see that entertainment/harmless mockery isn't dead! ;)

Acer
08-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Disgusting behaviour from Cipolla, Wawrinka was there offering his hand and he still refused to shake it.

biological
08-30-2008, 07:46 PM
Allez Stan! Excellent turnaround there.

Voo de Mar
08-30-2008, 07:46 PM

I don't like when a player refuses shake hand :( I saw only the last game but IMO you should hand shake no matter how badly behaved your opponent :shrug:

Wawrinka lost first tie-break after winning 10 in a row.

Spes
08-30-2008, 07:47 PM
They just aired it on Eurosport. Flavio wasn't being a bad sport, but was explaining to Wawrinka that what he did was not appropriate. He still shook the umpire's hand.

Of course he's disappointed, but refusing to shake hands here definitely had its roots in Wawrinka's behaviour earlier in the match.

Wawrinka :retard: I hope he loses to Melzer or Murray.

I think it is Cipolla who needs to grow up, Stan was obviously not too worried about it since he was ready to give a warm handshake. Get over it pal, this is the big leagues.

Mr Brightside
08-30-2008, 07:48 PM
A bit suspicious to take the timeout in the fourth set though, no? I don't think he would have been able to hang with a Top10 player for so long if he was "having problems". :rolleyes: Think what you want about Stan, he is certainly not known for acting like a little bitch during matches and I am sure what he was doing was not as bad as you are describing, nor is it unjustified. He is in the fourth round again, that's all I care about.

so STFU and don't talk of a match that you have not seen:retard:

Or Levy
I don't know if I'm too annoyed to see Stan complaining a bit, Very mellow character, even when he and Roger played doubles. It was Roger with the jumping, the excitment, the come-ons. Stan? Pretty much went about his business.

I think some spice can only add to his game.

freesbee
Flavio :sad: :sad: :sad: :hug: But still a good tournament :)

Wawrinka :rolleyes:

bokehlicious
08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Nice win over that faker Stani boy :yeah:

aeronatasha
08-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Disgusting behaviour from Cipolla, Wawrinka was there offering his hand and he still refused to shake it.

Yeah? What about Stan mocking Cipolla's injury and taking a time out just to spite him? Stan was being a real ass, I'd be bitter too.

Steelq
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
What an idiot this Swiss is,acting like a spoiled child,without any respect for his opponent.

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
yeah, It is not nice to refuse to shake hands at the net but is also very unprofessional to mock a player on the court

seljanin
08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Anyhow this has been a great tournament for Cipolla. I guess he didn't expect making R3 himself as well.

Didn't see a lot, but from those few games, which I saw, I didn't understand, how Wawrinka can have so much struggle to beat him. Cipolla's groundies seemed to lack pace (a really moonballing FH, btw), he didn't seem to be quick around the court, serve looked really weak and slow (similar to Volandri's), and his game seemed to be quite one-dimensional as well.

Ok, Cipolla's fans, don't judge me too hard there, no bashing intended, and I saw only some 8-9 games, but this is the impression what I got. Probably, if he was injured, that was the reason, why I got such a picture about this guy.

I didn't see the entire thing but it seems that during the third set Wawrinka accused Cipolla of faking an injury and at one point Wawrinka also mocked him by walking with a limp as if to pretend he was injured as well. I guess Cipolla was pissed off about that.

Thanks for the insights! Hmm, sounds strange. As far as I know, Wawrinka is not really known for being a jerk.

Rogieva
08-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Well done Stan ! :D

safinalium
I completely stand behind Cipolla for not shacking Wawrinka's hand in the end considering the latter's arrogant and inappropriate behavior during the match. Even if lets say Cipolla WAS faking an injury (which i don't think was the case), I don't see how anything can excuse Wawrinka. He still the most undeserved top 10 player together with Roddick and after today I don't have a very high opinion of him as a person either. My opinion. :)

CooCooCachoo
I think it is Cipolla who needs to grow up, Stan was obviously not too worried about it since he was ready to give a warm handshake. Get over it pal, this is the big leagues.

The winner would usually not refuse to shake hands, right? But whether you could call it warm is questionable.

But I think mocking a fellow player is very, very childish. I've seen Wawrinka throw some nasty tantrums on court before, but this beats them all. I'm quite shocked to read that so many people find him to be meek on court, when I consider him more of a spoilt brat who perhaps isn't very flammable, but whose nasty attitude is always just around the corner.

All the same, congrats to Stani for persevering. I'm not discrediting his game performance, but I am just saying his behaviour was not up to scratch.

Tommy fan
08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Allez :sobbing:

finishingmove
08-30-2008, 07:54 PM
wawrinka is a mug, im surprised how he won this in 5

Or Levy
08-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm quite shocked to read that so many people find him to be meek on court, when I consider him more of a spoilt brat who perhaps isn't very flammable, but whose nasty attitude is always just around the corner.

Maybe I'm wrong, I just never seen him being tempramental, I've seen him play quite a bit, though definitly not, you know, all the time.

Grinder
08-30-2008, 07:56 PM
Regardless of how Wawrinka behaved during the match, Cipolla was just as idiotic for bitching at the net and then refusing to shake his opponent's outstretched hand, he just comes across as a sore loser after doing that.

bokehlicious
Cipolla overreacting here, blowing a 2 sets lead must hurt... He'll recover though...

JMG
I don't think it was Cipolla's fault. Wawrinka was just pissed about having problems with a low ranked moonballer, that's why he acted like he did.

LinkMage
I can't believe what I've just seen. Any other top ten would have beaten Cipolla without losing a single game, Wawrinka lost 22 :haha: :lol:

What do you expect from Wawa? He's one of the worst top 10 players in history which highlights that this is a very weak era.

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Congratulation to Stan for coming back from 2 sets down. Not many can do so

CooCooCachoo
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Anyhow this has been a great tournament for Cipolla. I guess he didn't expect making R3 himself as well.

Didn't see a lot, but from those few games, which I saw, I didn't understand, how Wawrinka can have so much struggle to beat him. Cipolla's groundies seemed to lack pace (a really moonballing FH, btw), he didn't seem to be quick around the court, serve looked really weak and slow (similar to Volandri's), and his game seemed to be quite one-dimensional as well.

Ok, Cipolla's fans, don't judge me too hard there, no bashing intended, and I saw only some 8-9 games, but this is the impression what I got. Probably, if he was injured, that was the reason, why I got such a picture about this guy.

Thanks for the insights! Hmm, sounds strange. As far as I know, Wawrinka is not really known for being a jerk.

I didn't expect Flavio to make the R3 either. He was lucky enough to be a LL and have two great wins (for him). Taking Stani to a fifth is a great accomplishment as it is.

Your analysis is oorrect for a large part. He doesn't have any pace and his serve is pretty much one of the weakest on the Tour. It certainly is weaker than Volandri's. Cipo is quite short, which is why he struggles with his serve. He worked on it all the time in the off-season, but it's hard for him to improve the serve if you a) don't have the height and b) don't have the strength.

He loves to slice as well. He isn't really the moonballing type, but he does throw in a lot of variation, with dropshots as well. And he likes to approach the net. Tactically, I think Flavio is a really good player. One-dimensionality is definitely not a characteristic of his game.

He's also really fast around the court, but I'd presume his injury was holding him back today.

Chloe le Bopper
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
... He still the most undeserved top 10 player together with Roddick ...

Oh. So, who would be a "more deserving" top ten player at this exact moment in time, than Roddick or Stan? Who has compiled more points, but is inexcusably being kept out?

Acer
08-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah? What about Stan mocking Cipolla's injury and taking a time out just to spite him? Stan was being a real ass, I'd be bitter too.

He can argue as much as he want at the net, but at least show some decency and shake the guy's hand. No wonder he got booed by the crowd.

Voo de Mar
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Congratulation to Stan for coming back from 2 sets down. Not many can do so

Wawrinka did it 4th time in career.

~Maya~
08-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Wawrinka did it 4th time in career.

He is a tough cookie :)

biological
08-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I think Stan definitely deserves his ranking - he's got an awesome backhand, he's very unpredictable and he serves well, with quite a few aces. Loads of UEs today but I have high hopes for the next round.
Allez Stan!

Chris 84
08-30-2008, 08:05 PM
There was some needle between the two of them before Wawrinka's impersonation of a limping Cipolla. The game was in the 3rd set and Wawrinka broke Cipolla with the last point of the game being a double fault. Wawrinka let out a "come on" "yes" "vamos" or something similar, and Cipolla responded by mockingly applauding Wawrinka.....after which Wawrinka used his tennis racquet in the manner of a walking stick and limped to his chair.

seljanin
08-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I didn't expect Flavio to make the R3 either. He was lucky enough to be a LL and have two great wins (for him). Taking Stani to a fifth is a great accomplishment as it is.

Your analysis is oorrect for a large part. He doesn't have any pace and his serve is pretty much one of the weakest on the Tour. It certainly is weaker than Volandri's. Cipo is quite short, which is why he struggles with his serve. He worked on it all the time in the off-season, but it's hard for him to improve the serve if you a) don't have the height and b) don't have the strength.

He loves to slice as well. He isn't really the moonballing type, but he does throw in a lot of variation, with dropshots as well. And he likes to approach the net. Tactically, I think Flavio is a really good player. One-dimensionality is definitely not a characteristic of his game.

He's also really fast around the court, but I'd presume his injury was holding him back today.

Yep, I saw the slice as well. He used it quite a lot from the BH side. That moonball, which I mentioned, was about FH, he did use it pretty frequently.

Thanks for the descriptive part! :yeah:

PinkFeatherBoa
08-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I watched the whole match and it was definitely bad form from Stan with the mocking and in the latter part of the match he was Vamosing and fist pumping even on points where Flavio double faulted or made a UE.
Honestly, I don't blame Flavio for not shaking his hand, he was acting like a spoilt child imo, though I would have liked to see him take the higher ground and shake it.
I think rather than Stan getting all pissy at how Flavio was playing, he needed to look closer at his own poor play. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he wonand toughed it out.
I think he is probably going to get beaten easily by Murray/Melzer though unless he improves x 1000.

biological
08-30-2008, 08:10 PM
There was some needle between the two of them before Wawrinka's impersonation of a limping Cipolla. The game was in the 3rd set and Wawrinka broke Cipolla with the last point of the game being a double fault. Wawrinka let out a "come on" "yes" "vamos" or something similar, and Cipolla responded by mockingly applauding Wawrinka.....after which Wawrinka used his tennis racquet in the manner of a walking stick and limped to his chair.

Sorry but... :haha:

Very poor show not to shake hands, whatever happened in the match.

Nathaliia
08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Faking is never fine, but Cipolla has this season on and off due to injuries, still Stan joking at it was a Koellerer level from a challenger, probably upset he didn't win this one after 50 minutes.

dj_mercury
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't think it was Cipolla's fault. Wawrinka was just pissed about having problems with a low ranked moonballer, that's why he acted like he did.
This may very well be the case, although Cipolla asked for his medical timeout after winning the second set and still had energies to run left and right in the fifth. Not justifying Wawrinka behaviour, he would have done better by thinking about his crap display, but just to make a more clear picture of the situation.

martinatreue
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds like they both behaved poorly in some way. Shit happens... Glad Stan won though.

GlennMirnyi
08-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Regardless of how Wawrinka behaved during the match, Cipolla was just as idiotic for bitching at the net and then refusing to shake his opponent's outstretched hand, he just comes across as a sore loser after doing that.

I agree completely.

Wawrinka... what a top 10... losing two sets to freaking Cipolla... :haha:

Jimnik
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I don't understand why Wawrinka is considered such a saint. He himself was faking throughout the whole Rome tournament this year, and he does act like a brat sometimes. I'd love to see what really happened today.

Rumour
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Good comeback for Wawa, whatever the circumstances, although it's arguable whether he should have been in such a deep hole to begin with :tape: Had no idea before coming on here that there was even a hint of controversy about this match so I can't really comment on that aspect, except to speculate that the Swiss' frustration at being down to a lucky loser and his opponent's inexperience with playing long Slam matches were both probably factors :shrug:

Seneca
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh hell, that was not Grand Slam level tennis. All the (backhanded) respect to Cipolla for making the most of his limited abilities but that was just painful to watch at times. Dude hits a mile high moonball from the forehand and a Lendl slice from the backhand on every shot and isn't exactly too eager to finish points at the net either. I thought the ATP had no Camille Pins on its ranks. I'm proven wrong once again.

In a parallel universe a week from now, Cipolla will play Monfils in a 9-hour semifinal which ends 6-0 1-6 6-1 0-6 132-130 with 4 winners and 1258979 unforced errors combined. As always, tennis is the winner.

bambelbitz
08-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I just saw the tiebreak of the second set, so I can't say anything about the incident. When Wawa has come down after the match he will see that his displayed attitude wasn't gentleman-like!

HeretiC
08-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Strange match, strange scoreline, strange behavior from both players.:confused:

Tom Paulman
08-31-2008, 12:14 AM
I saw a couple of games and it was completely boring match... Wawrinka must be the worst top 10 player since Robredo

SheepleBuster
08-31-2008, 12:26 AM
I saw a couple of games and it was completely boring match... Wawrinka must be the worst top 10 player since Robredo

Wawrinka is a genius of a player with a pea brain. He shows Flashes but I think he is a much better player than Roddick. He just don't seem to be strong mentally.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-31-2008, 02:41 AM
:silly:

Rumour
08-31-2008, 02:54 AM
In a parallel universe a week from now, Cipolla will play Monfils in a 9-hour semifinal which ends 6-0 1-6 6-1 0-6 132-130 with 4 winners and 1258979 unforced errors combined. As always, tennis is the winner.
It's the USO, remember, so it would end in a fifth set TB :p

selyoink
08-31-2008, 03:16 AM
How is this mug ranked in the top 10?

Tobi
08-31-2008, 05:16 AM
It would be very classy for him to do after all Stan did at the match so I cant blame Flavio for not shaking hands.

This is one Wawrinka fan's response.

I watched the whole match and it was definitely bad form from Stan with the mocking and in the latter part of the match he was Vamosing and fist pumping even on points where Flavio double faulted or made a UE.
Honestly, I don't blame Flavio for not shaking his hand, he was acting like a spoilt child imo, though I would have liked to see him take the higher ground and shake it.
I think rather than Stan getting all pissy at how Flavio was playing, he needed to look closer at his own poor play. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he wonand toughed it out.
I think he is probably going to get beaten easily by Murray/Melzer though unless he improves x 1000.
And this is another which is lot more honest and right.

I mean you can like a player but you shouldnt ignore what happened over there,ES showed that Wawrinka was clearly imitating Cipolla's injury/time out.

Used to be neutral towards Wawrinka but that wasnt something good.Probably frustrated about the fact he had to fight through 4 hours +.

Action Jackson
08-31-2008, 08:09 AM

What the man above said.

Mateya
08-31-2008, 08:47 AM
I saw Wawa imitating Cipolla cramps (holding his leg and limping), that's really not nice from him. :retard:
And Cipolla was a bit crazy too, a handshake wouldn't kill him. He lost to a better player, who is ranked around 100 places higher and should be happy with this 3rd round. He might never ever reach it again.

Machiavelli
08-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Cipolla can thank god, the stars or i do not know who for this third round, he is not even TOP150 material, a midget with a non-existing serve, just a plain slice bekhand, a looping moonballing forhand, just awful to watch...........

Wawrinka showed he his mentally limited, no serious player would loose more then 5 or 6 games to this mug.....

regarding the handshaking incident, both behaved badly, Wawrinka was a jerk for imitating Flavio' injurie, and Cipolla should have been the better man at the end

L James
08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Anyone got a clip of the non-handshake?

tennis2tennis
08-31-2008, 09:29 AM
can't comment 'cause i didn't c the match wish i did now!

ivamus
08-31-2008, 10:03 AM

Stan was ready to give a handshake because he won, But when he was losing his behaviour was disguisting. Whi would anyone shake his hand if he was mocking his opponent?

martine2
08-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen the match so I'm not going to judge anybody, but what I'm reading here just doesn't seem like Stan

Anyway, I'm glad he won :)

superandy88
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Cipolla did not shake hands, because Wawrinka was acting like a little kid.
He was shouting c'mons on Cipolla's doublefaults and was imitating the injurie. Flavio really has problems whit his right knee.

scoobs
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Sounds like Stan has been spending too much time with the Muzz to me - it's rubbing off :)

dj_mercury
08-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Everything started when Stan broke in the third set, he shouted a strong common when Cipolla double faulted and conceded him the break. I don't think he wanted to be disrespectful to his opponent, but rather was trying to charge himself to come out from the deep hole he finished by playing so bad, however the italian was pissed off by this and applauded Wawrinka for his behaviour (I also don't like when people shout on opponent mistakes, although Wawrinka is surely not the first one that does it in the last few years, however given the situation I think he would have made this shout whatever would have happened in that point), the Swiss player noticed this and started to imitate his limping when moving to his seat, likely to point out that the opponent was faking an injury.
As for the handshacking incident it was nothing special, Wawrinka was ready to give him an handshake, but the italian refused to do it and they exchanged a couple of words at the net.

CooCooCachoo
08-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Cipolla can thank god, the stars or i do not know who for this third round, he is not even TOP150 material, a midget with a non-existing serve, just a plain slice bekhand, a looping moonballing forhand, just awful to watch...........

Wawrinka showed he his mentally limited, no serious player would loose more then 5 or 6 games to this mug.....

regarding the handshaking incident, both behaved badly, Wawrinka was a jerk for imitating Flavio' injurie, and Cipolla should have been the better man at the end

That's why he's ranked inside the Top 150 :rolleyes: At least give him some credit :rolleyes:

the biscuit
08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Well I saw Wawrinka imitating the limp and thought it was quite funny actually. I think he genuinly felt Cipolla was faking it. I mean, I don't even really like Wawrinka; I think he's incredibly boring and not that good a player but I certainly wasn't thinking 'oh, you bastard, burn in hell'. It was prob done in the heat of the moment, so what? Refusing a handshake is a lot worse imo.

In general, I feel like some on here people are over-critical and very easily offended.

Venle
08-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Stan :yeah:

I saw only the set points. Don't know why the non-handshake :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
08-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Sounds like Stan has been spending too much time with the Muzz to me - it's rubbing off :)

:lol: They are rather good friends aren't they? :aplot:

08-31-2008, 12:50 PM
THis is not his first time to behave like this on court! He just doesnt have any respect toward his opponents!Who does he think he is? A God? Who cares if CIppola is ranked 150?? He was down 2 sets,and instead of raising his level of play, he chose to irritate his oponent! Fair play? I dont think so! He is really immature. Isnt tennis supposed to be gentlemen's game? I have no more respect for this guy, and i sincerely hope that soon somebody will slap him on face for being such a jerk and ruining the spirit of a fair play!

aeronatasha
08-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I can't seem to find their pressers. :confused:

Beat
08-31-2008, 01:18 PM

:eek: is that true? how embarassing.

Neely
08-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I think it was quite okay from Cipolla to refuse the hand shake and he probably didn't care much whether he came across as a sore loser or not because of the in his eyes perceived unsportsmanlike behaviour of Wawrinka. I didn't see Wawrinka's imitation myself, but if Cipolla thinks he was hard and unfairly done by his opponent before while he had a legitimate injury timeout, then why not? He even gave him quite an explicit explanation.

Some might say that Wawrinka was only expressing what many of us think anyway: that the injury timeout is often being abused. Maybe it wasn't in this case, but sure, if Wawrinka took the high road, he could have handled this otherwise.

At best he should have accepted the handshake and put it all behind himself, maybe it wasn't possible this time.

schorsch
08-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Stan was ready to give a handshake because he won, But when he was losing his behaviour was disguisting. Whi would anyone shake his hand if he was mocking his opponent?

thats your first post :spit: seriously?

ah well, i'm just glad waw was able to pull out the win when playing badly for a change :)

Jogy
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Wawrinka is not new to that. I wondering what they have in the Swiss cow milk?

CooCooCachoo
09-01-2008, 06:22 AM
For your information, Flavio pulled a muscle and is taking one or two weeks off now.

So much for the faking.

Get well Cips :hug:

bokehlicious
09-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Wawrinka is not new to that.

When did he act like this before? :scratch: Just wondering... :confused:

I wondering what they have in the Swiss cow milk?

Way more vitamins than in the Polish milk, that's for sure :o :p

Machiavelli
09-01-2008, 08:48 AM
That's why he's ranked inside the Top 150 :rolleyes: At least give him some credit :rolleyes:
i was a bit harsh, kudos to him for trying, and i hope he gets well soon, but he is a very limited player, i have also a few matches of him under my belt...

I also like Franco Ferreiro, especially after the last Zagreb challenger, a nice fellow, who at times plays real flashy tennis, but i know he has no chance of making it through to the big stage, too incositent, and brain dead.....

so do not get overexcited by this fluke run of Flavio, it was a one-timer......

:wavey:

Deivid23
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Cipolla asked for a medical timeout after he won the 2nd set, just to keep on running like a man possesed for almost three hours more. Stan screamed a loud "Come On!" after Cipolla double faulted away his service game in the 3rd set and Flavio ironically clapped at that behaviour, then Stan mocked at him faking a limping bc he thought Cipolla was showing some good old gamesmanship, a good show all in all :lol:

Deivid23
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
For your information, Flavio pulled a muscle and is taking one or two weeks off now.

So much for the faking.

Get well Cips :hug:

Sure, that´s why he ran like a rabbit during three more sets :retard:

Deivid23
09-01-2008, 09:26 PM

Here I agree with you. I couldn´t believe my eyes when I saw him winning the first two sets in the way he did, rolling his serves in, slicing till death his bh just to keep the ball in play safely and looping fh´s non stop just to make Stan hit the ball above his waist and let the errors pile up :eek:

Laba
09-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Has the incident(s) from this match been uploaded yet? All I saw was the words exchanged at the net.. but you know, the come on/clapping plus limp sounds somewhat entertaining. :P

Neely
09-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Cipolla asked for a medical timeout after he won the 2nd set, just to keep on running like a man possesed for almost three hours more. Stan screamed a loud "Come On!" after Cipolla double faulted away his service game in the 3rd set and Flavio ironically clapped at that behaviour, then Stan mocked at him faking a limping bc he thought Cipolla was showing some good old gamesmanship, a good show all in all :lol:
I already figured it in patches from reading in the thread, but thanks for summing it up in one post.

Yes, really seemed to be a good show with some needle between them, would have loved to see it myself :)

mecir72
09-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I dont understand why people give cippola so little credit for the way he plays. I am sure everyone here has trouble with that kind of style. He didnt let Stan hit any comfortable balls at all which is probably one of the reasons for stan losing it mentally a little bit. Not easy to hit good slices like cippola was doing and those high forehands are not easy to hit either. Sure it wont work against everyone but cippola I think is tactically very good and does his best to play in a way that his opponents dont like. I think it was great to watch and I do think he did have some kind of injury problem. A little means alot in tennis.

Labamba
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
re-match tomorrow in Chennai

Will there be a handshake this time?

CooCooCachoo
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I hope Flavio gives Wawrinka what he deserves.

Baghdatis#1
01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Go Stan!!!!!

Winnipeg
01-06-2009, 01:28 AM
cipolla was never winning this

Mongoose
05-25-2012, 11:54 AM
bump :worship:

Motoflou
05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
no.

CooCooCachoo
05-25-2012, 12:27 PM
It's not going to be as close this time around, I fear.